• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "8-Player" Debate

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Another good reason would that they have to have an incentive to make more character costume colors/designs. But I'm against 8-players, as there'd only be around 2 stages for 8 players to fit.

Also, there's only 4 GC controller ports, so it would be only online.

How about a 6 player brawl?

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
I do think that 5-8 Player battles would be soooo hectic... (!!! 4P is chaotic already). It could be fun if you were at a party, I guess, and everyone wanted to play. But CAMERA ANGLES & ZOOMS are irratating... Especially on a small TV.

What about this- A "tag-team" type battle. So four people can play at the same time, but 8 people can play in the same battle/match. Switch-outs don't even have to take place at the same time; whenever a person gets tired, he presses a certain button (or button combo) and his teamate takes his place.

Concerning the issue of only 4 controller slots- A device could be inserted into a single controller slot. It is able to link 2 controllers to the Wii though only one slot. When the "Button Combo" is executed by the player with controller #1, it tells the Wii to now take data from controller #2.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
You guys are crazy. 8 is too much. Imagine how many peolple would get jumped lol. wait a sec.... maybe 8 would be good :)

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Nintendo could do this using 2 Wii's and a LAN cable (like MarioKart: Double Dash, sort of), so the 4 controllers shouldn't be too much of a problem. Whether it's a good idea in the first place? Well... I guess... I probably wouldn't enjoy it that much, but I'm sure other people would, so it's a good idea if they could do it correctly.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Paranoid_Android said:
Nintendo could do this using 2 Wii's and a LAN cable (like MarioKart: Double Dash, sort of), so the 4 controllers shouldn't be too much of a problem. Whether it's a good idea in the first place? Well... I guess... I probably wouldn't enjoy it that much, but I'm sure other people would, so it's a good idea if they could do it correctly.

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You could use 4 cube controllers and 4 wii-motes. :laugh:

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
Eight Ice Climbers in giant melee on Final Destination.

That's why I disagree.

fluffy

Smash Champion
ilabb said:
Eight Ice Climbers in giant melee on Final Destination.

That's why I disagree.
dudeee thats awesum! noone would know whos whos so ill be at the right end of the corner while they beat each other off in utter confusion.

itll be fun to watch.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
worst idea i've ever heard

4 player ffa is bad enough

why would you want to remove even more skill from the game?

stick to teams or one on one.

my dog could win a 4 player FFA, and an amoeba could win an 8 player ffa match

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
About the camera, if it's online play, the camara could zoom onto your character, zooming closely out to the nearest 2 enemies. Therefore an 8 player smash wouldn't have too horrendous camera problems.

What's wrong with chaos? Even if they added an 8 player ffa, all you pros who hate those matches could play your 1vs1 or 2vs2 while people who'd prefer chaos would play those chaotic matches. People need to remember that different people like different things, and since this is smash boards, where the pros play, most people here would like only 1vs1 or 2vs2. The common person would rather have the chaos of an 8 player brawl; as it would be easier for them to be successful.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
MikeMan445 said:
worst idea i've ever heard

4 player ffa is bad enough

why would you want to remove even more skill from the game?

stick to teams or one on one.

my dog could win a 4 player FFA, and an amoeba could win an 8 player ffa match
The competitive Smash community is only a small percent of the total Smashers out there. Yeah, you and I wouldn't enjoy it. But several thousand other people who don't know what "wavedashing" is would love it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Eight characters at once is just stupid. There wont be any strategy or skill. It would just a a bunch of spamming. This discussion is over. I win, you lose. Take that, sucka!
Edit: About the people who dont take this game seriously. Why would we encourage such foolishness by adding eight player melee? We want them to get better.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
commonyoshi said:
Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Eight characters at once is just stupid. There wont be any strategy or skill. It would just a a bunch of spamming. This discussion is over. I win, you lose. Take that, sucka!
Edit: About the people who dont take this game seriously. Why would we encourage such foolishness by adding eight player melee? We want them to get better.

Its not over you fool. YOu dont make the rules. My millenium necklace wont let this happen.

ok for real. Having 8 players wouldn't be a problem if they had bigger stages :laugh: . I can tell that you are young cuz you would have considered that if you a little smarter.

If there will be more players. there shall be bigger stages. THis topic will live on :)

fluffy

Smash Champion
well i never really like big stages such as hyrule temple, and im guessing thats it.

but it looks like fun...come on, playing 7 other ppl in a stage makes the game more like wow or diablo. (which were good games btw)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Activate trap card!

Bigger stages mean nothing. If they are noobish enough to play eight character matches, then they will all gather to the same spot no matter how big the stages are.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
commonyoshi said:
Activate trap card!

Bigger stages mean nothing. If they are noobish enough to play eight character matches, then they will all gather to the same spot no matter how big the stages are.
You cant see the future. You dont know what people would do. Bigger stages for more players thank you.

The Burrito of Time

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:
Activate trap card!

I activate my Trap Jammer!

Now imagine playing a 4-on-4 team match on Hyrule Temple, that would be freakin' sick.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Alright fine. But you cant argue that the best person wins in these free for all matches. They usually lose because the weaker people form alliances to take the best down first. This will just continue with eight player. Since I never liked four or even three players matches, there is no way I would like eight. It's all opininion I guess.

Yes! I used the magic card of negotiation. I win the duel because there is no way to fight back! Your life points are gone! Ahahaha, the world is mine and so is your soul. (Sorry, but you started the Yu-Gi-Oh thing)

fluffy

Smash Champion
commonyoshi said:
Alright fine. But you cant argue that the best person wins in these free for all matches. They usually lose because the weaker people form alliances to take the best down first. This will just continue with eight player. Since I never liked four or even three players matches, there is no way I would like eight. It's all opininion I guess.

Yes! I used the magic card of negotiation. I win the duel because there is no way to fight back! Your life points are gone! Ahahaha, the world is mine and so is your soul. (Sorry, but you started the Yu-Gi-Oh thing)
hey im alive.
wait. so if the weaker ppl form alliances to take down the best first....then that means that the best one would get better and better becuz fighting multiple players targeting u is harder than a fighting just 1 person. meaning...there is skill involved, in order to beat a gang.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
commonyoshi said:

My mellenium necklace will not allow you to steal his soul. If you want his soul you muat defeat me in a shadow brawl online.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
People need to think about the here and now.

Melee can support 6 characters on screen at one time.

Why not go small and just pray for 8 player action while trying to get 6 player action?

FireStar

Smash Apprentice
JmcShocker16 said:
Its not over you fool. YOu dont make the rules. My millenium necklace wont let this happen.

ok for real. Having 8 players wouldn't be a problem if they had bigger stages :laugh: . I can tell that you are young cuz you would have considered that if you a little smarter.

If there will be more players. there shall be bigger stages. THis topic will live on :)
This would be really cool. Kinda like Mario Kart DD'S 8-player lan play... I absolutely agree...

The Burrito of Time

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:

I agree with the fact that the best person doesn't win for some ******** reason

Think again! I use my Dark Paladin's ability to negate magic cards by discarding a card from my hand!( I believe you started it when you first played you "trap card")

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
The Burrito of Time said:
I agree with the fact that the best person doesn't win for some ******** reason

Think again! I use my Dark Paladin's ability to negate magic cards by discarding a card from my hand!( I believe you started it when you first played you "trap card")

its up to the playere to find a way to win. If will power serves him right, he'll win. My mellenium necklace just ended your duel with him.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reinforcements.

no prob :laugh: my necklace activated by itself. very strange.

Do you remember the head-visor thingys that nintendo bought?

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Not really sure, are you talking about thye virtua boy?

no. Nintendo purchased a bunch of these visor things from a company. Ask McFox about it.

Ember Joe

Smash Cadet
8 Man would be fun for a bash. And arguing the 'it wont be used competitively' is rediculous. 4 man FFA isnt used competitively and asif they'd ever remove that. Alot of pros need to realise they aren't the be all and end all of the gaming community. 8-Man would likely be possible with link up, especially considering the improved hardware, and similarities in models (look closely at the video, the only big differences are textures). 8 Man would be alot of fun for just a bash, not competitive, just fun. And asif you wouldnt love to see 16 Ice climbers on screen. Hectic games where you dont know what the F is going on in games like this tend to be good for a laugh, and are great when you stop playing seriously, and just play for fun.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Allright, tell me if you find anything.

Ok i found it. The company is called eMagine.

Ever since the appearance of the Nintendo ON video just prior to E3 2005, there has been much speculation regarding the possibility of a visor or external display device to be used in tandem with the Wii controller. Even though Nintendo purchased a number of visors from a company called eMagin, the connection to Wii has been, for the most part, renounced. However, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata did stated in an October interview with Japanese publication Nikkei Business that the Wii would work with any type of monitor, even digital projectors.

The Burrito of Time

Smash Journeyman
JmcShocker16 said:
Ok i found it. The company is called eMagine.

Ever since the appearance of the Nintendo ON video just prior to E3 2005, there has been much speculation regarding the possibility of a visor or external display device to be used in tandem with the Wii controller. Even though Nintendo purchased a number of visors from a company called eMagin, the connection to Wii has been, for the most part, renounced. However, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata did stated in an October interview with Japanese publication Nikkei Business that the Wii would work with any type of monitor, even digital projectors.
Woah!

Sounds like Nintendo trying to create some virtual reality type thing.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Woah!

Sounds like Nintendo trying to create some virtual reality type thing.
the problem is that one of those are like 500$ ouch. but they would be really good for shooter games. Your friend wouldn't be able to look at your screen and cheat.

The Burrito of Time

Smash Journeyman
JmcShocker16 said:
the problem is that one of those are like 500$ ouch. but they would be really good for shooter games. Your friend wouldn't be able to look at your screen and cheat.
Sounds expensive. Maybe they'll find a way to cheaply mass produce them.

Top Bottom