• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "8-Player" Debate

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
The Good Reasons on why Super Smash Bros. Brawl needs 8-Player Compatibility:

1. Adding More Characters to the game seems Pointless with just 4-Player Support
2. More Crowd Confusion for Power Moves (Such as Capt. Falcon's Falcon Punch)
3. The obvious case of "Too Much Level, Not Enough Players" (Example: Hyrule Temple)
4. Bigger Team-Battle Action
5. Pichu VS 7 lvl9 Ganondorfs

An Example on Crowd Confusion with 8-Players:

You are playing as Capt. Falcon. Everyone is so caught up in beating the heck out of each other that by the time they notice you charging up a Falcon Punch, it is TOO Late.

Your Falcon Punch connects and sends, at most, 4 Players flying to the right and out of the arena. K.O.

NAZN TYR

Smash Journeyman
that's pretty interesting, but i'm pretty sure the wii only supports 4 controllers, so the only way to play with 8 is through the online thing, and in that case, it'll get pretty laggy (i'd assume)

plus, 4 players is pretty hectic anyways

EclipseWebJS

Smash Journeyman
I'll have to go with the "too much level, not enough characters" theory on this one. Even though Hyrule is a very entertaining level...

But now I can't think of any other place with too much level.

BentoBox

Smash Master
From the few maps we've seen so far, 8 players would seem way too much. And the Wii doesn't even support 8 controllers, so it's not gonna happen.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
BentoBox said:
From the few maps we've seen so far, 8 players would seem way too much. And the Wii doesn't even support 8 controllers, so it's not gonna happen.
It could be a possibily in the future.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
8 People seems laggy. Right now 4 people is good enough (hell two people on a screen is enough for me.)

=TF=Omega

Smash Cadet
While a cool sounding idea, I highly doubt it. It would definately add much more lag to online play while Miyamoto (excuse my spelling) himself said that they were having problems with just 4 player online play.

I suppose it would be theoretically possible to have a LAN party with 1 or 2 Wiis and do it that way for offline play, but I highly doubt Nintendo would add such an unnessessary feature that could hamper the game's online playability when they already have a winning formula with 4 player games.

Cool idea, but unless they can get it to work smoothly, I'm against it.

Liku

Smash Journeyman
BentoBox said:
And the Wii doesn't even support 8 controllers, so it's not gonna happen.
It doesn't? Considering the remotes are wireless, there isnt a "lack of slots."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Its already confirmed it'll still be 4 player. You saw when Metaknight was introduced? Link wasn't on the battlefield anymore only Metaknight, Kirby, Mario and Pikachu. Still a good idea though.

Panero

Smash Cadet
when you get 2 players on opposite sides of hyrule temple, it gets really annoying because the camera is so far out. I like to see myself when Im getting my butt whooped :dizzy:

Judo_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
I think maybe feasable for online play. Say you and your buds wanna play online. So what are you gonna sit there and take turns? 8 player online would allow you to have four people on your system and still go online.

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
Or they can make a Playstation2 thing where you can connect more controllers. It's like a several-controller-kit. It's called a "multitap chassis"

Picture

I don't think it would be too laggy with 8 players. If they can't make it unlaggy they won't put it in, or so I think. But maybe 6 players is ok.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
It probably won't happen, but keep dreaming. The PS3 has more than 4 possible players, maybe the next Nintendo console will too. As Internet connection speeds grow faster, I would assume that eventually many people will have cheap, affordable access to a t1 or higher connection, which, in theory, COULD allow for 8 person online Smashfests. It's a good idea, but it's also a good number of years ahead of it's time.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Liku said:
It doesn't? Considering the remotes are wireless, there isnt a "lack of slots."

Notice the four little lights at the bottom of the controller? It designates which controller slot you're using.

And there are four of them. So I doubt the Rev has been designed to receive more than 4 controller inputs~

fluffy

Smash Champion
dude lol just imagine 4v4 on brawl.

or even imagine this. (ken) v (isai) v (wes) v (neo) v (husband) v (hugS) v (azen) v (pc chris) in a free-for-all 8-player brawl.

umm...u can replace those 8 smashers if u want. just saying.

Master_Of_Puppets

Smash Cadet
8 Players with 4 ports for Gamecube...Actullay if 4 people use the Gamecube controllers then 4 others could use the Wii Remote? One for each...

Na stupid idea.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Sounds fun, but very low chance of happening. 4 player really is pretty hectic if people know what they're doing and sometimes more hectic when they don't.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
That's too hectic, even for me who likes insane matches. Besides it'd be hell on the camera, I get enough of that with 4 players as is.

kaid

Smash Master
In the wireframe levels, Melee supports 6 players. It is possible in 1p mode and Event matches that Brawl could reach 8 players.

sn][p3r

Smash Cadet
If you've never noticed the reason why Multi-Man Melee was never laggy and hectic was because it was 1v5 and Multi-(wo)men models aren't very complex. I'd say they are still in the 100-999 node range. And because one hit was pretty much a kill Multi-Man melee isn't hectic. BTW i laughed at the Xenu article. To think people believes this...

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
Come to think of it, Nintendo could do this instead:

-No. of Players: 1-4
-No. of Computers: 0-4

fluffy

Smash Champion
i see it this way:

if theres no lagging, then y wouldnt any1 want a casual friendly game of 8-player chaos?

1v1 can get prety boring sumtimes so itll be fun. "ganging up" on ppl will happen but hey, theyll hit each other by accident lol.

if there is lag, screw it.

BentoBox

Smash Master
What does that have to do with anything?

And if the SSBB allows for 8 ppl to play at the same time, they'd consequently have to make the maps bigger(Which isn't the case judging from the pics we've seen). And you who are whining about how boring it is to 1v1 on maps such as hyrule temple, it'll just get worst.

Top Bottom