• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 6 levels of smash.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
WARNING: TL;DR

FLAME SHEILD: Biggiesmalls get's blamed if this doesn't go well with the smash boarders.
I may not be the smartest person on smashboards, but i can definately get this info to you.

The 6 Levels of Smash

Introduction: Smash brothers is a diverse set of games, with an advancing learning curve. The learning curve is like 6 levels; it becomes much harder each level you advance. i will also explain how each type of person johns at each level

The Six Levels

1. The "newb/noob"- This player is new to the game, or just sucks really bad. This is a difficult learning curve to get past, because if you aren't introduced to smash the right way, you may lose interest and lose any chance at being competetive. To get past this learning curve you will most likely need a friend who isn't experienced at all. You both start off, and pick your characters, get used to the game, and make sure you gloat a lot to make the other more determined to get better. if you both aren't eager to beat the crap out of eachother, you won't advance because you won't have any steps to take.
That is how i became good at smash. me and my friend started at the same time. He used marth, i used ganon. we went back and fourth, but he got better all of the sudden, so i had to step it up. it was like a race to get to the top of a ladder.
Johns: they john about everthing possible- EXCEPT WIFI. they don't notice lag at all, and they won't complain about it untill they notice it actually happens.

2. The "Normal" player: after you break the barrier of newbism, you become a Normal player. normal players can win at smash, but only against other normal players. if you are at this level, you probably don't john about anything because you are almost always modest about how you play, so there is no reason, because you didn't say you were going to win. I <3 normal players, they are perfect about everything but not being very good at smash.
To break this barrier of being average, you need to get onto the competetive scene. You start going to tournaments. You lose, but you learn. You should keep going and playing and being good at smash will come naturally. it takes a LONG time to break this barrier if you aren't a prodigy, but time is the only effort, really.
johns: Normal players rarely john about anything due to being modest because they KNOW that they won't win.

3. The good player: You know you are good enough to beat a lot of smash players, and it kinda gets to you. you become in denial of your skills at smash, but you don't let people know you secretly doubt yourself. you know advanced techniques, and you can win, but everyone above your level completely destroys you. usually the good player is very aggressive, and that gets him/her through. they john the trend because it is acceptable.
To break this barrier you must accept that you aren't as good as those people, and you must work on how defensive you are. aggressiveness only gets you so far in smash, and here is where it stops. spot dodge more, roll more, sheild more, sheild grab more, space better. it all comes flying at you, so just... get a tutor (NOTE: i will be opening up a sort of tutoring program soon, i just need to get it together)
Johns: Whatever seems acceptable. they are willing to john for self reassurance. right now, wifi lag is what is acceptable.

4. The great player (note- this level is the most complex): you tower above most of the smash community, and for a while you seem good. you get reassurance from others that you are good when you beat the hell out of almost any smash player. you start to wonder if you are good enough. this is the point where most peoples smash "careers" end. the great player plays so many people, but he/she either 4 stocks someone, or just loses. this level causes great confusion, which i am experiencing myself now. the difficulty of breaking this level skyrockets from all of the others.
to break this level, you MUST direct almost all of your attention to playing smash. you have to keep going even when everything seems like you will NEVER get better. just nitpick every detail, learn everything possible, and just dedicate..
Johns: these players usually don't john about wifi because they realize it doesn't affect them very significantly. they rarely john about anything, but still want to.

5. The Knowledgable smasher: this smasher has broken the barrier. perfect tech skills, almost never loses. they gain a giant ego, which is almost an inevitability. they say things and do things that they wouldn't at a lower level, but now feel that they are more influential about smash, they say some things that even they don't feel are right.
breaking this barrier- you don't break this ****ing barrier.
johns- nothing, because these people RARELY, very rarely lose, and when they lose, they claim the honest reason. you are better than me.

6. The smash master/pro: who the hell knows how one of these people got here, but they did. these people actually limit the amount they smash, because they don't have to constantly play to be good. it is natural. you won't get here unless you are literally born for smash. you will 5 stock people in 4 stock matches at this level. if you are at this level you will cut people and **** in their wounds

johns: no johns ever, but marth is gay can lower kens self esteem (not that it is high).

This applies to ALL smashes, although some levels may not be as significant.
Now, i hope i got the info to you guys well enough.

I'm at 4, what are you at?

IDK

Smash Lord
didn't someone else make a thread like this? like what type of smasher are you or something? not flaming or anything. jw. btw i think im a 3 or 4. last tourneys i did horrible in but i've gotten a lot better really fast. my friend julian gets pretty far in tourneys and we're pretty even now. i dunno. this thread is cool cause it lets you brag. lols.

Grunt

Smash Master
M2K is 3 since he johned about Mango's Puff, lol.

Currently 4, trying to nitpick at everything i do wrong, regardless if I win or not.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Sounds to me like you are not well equipped to group people with blanket statements and stereotypes considering how your "seat of power" is self-imposed.

If you are so good why have I not heard of you?

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I guess I'd probably be at about a 3, although I've yet to be to an actual tournament. I think it's safe to say I'm probably the best Smasher among those I play with, but I'm sure I'd get clobbered by most of the real competetive community. Regardless, I think I'm past the "Normal" player level, so probably a 3.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I guess I'd probably be at about a 3, although I've yet to be to an actual tournament. I think it's safe to say I'm probably the best Smasher among those I play with, but I'm sure I'd get clobbered by most of the real competetive community. Regardless, I think I'm past the "Normal" player level, so probably a 3.
Ya, me too. I'm the best out of all of my friends, and I'm having a tourney at my house next Saturday (only friends), and people seriously think they can beat me, but I know I'll win, not because I'm super cocky, just because I have gotten so much better because of Smashboards and everyone on it. The only reason I think I'm not on 3 is because I don't doubt my skills, I know I'm good, and my friends all know that too, and if they don't, they will on next Saturday.:)

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
Sounds to me like you are not well equipped to group people with blanket statements and stereotypes considering how your "seat of power" is self-imposed.

If you are so good why have I not heard of you?
i don't understand what you want with me, but there are probably a hundred people in the 4 range, but thousands below that.
just ask the people i play. im great at smash, and i learned that by recieving recognition from people i KNOW are good. now you may just be questioning my logic because of my post count, well im sorry i don't post on every single thing i can just questioning the OP of anything i can figure out.
im going to assume you are a level five because if you were a level of anything below that, then you would probably wouldn't be justified in saying what you said, and you probably wouldn't have the ego for it.
now it may seem like im taking your post out of propourtion, but i see a lot more to your post than what you just said.

toktomo

Smash Cadet
mhhmmm, im a 4, i usually win a lot and i don't john things (never). i m rlly laid back, but yeah im trying to get to 5....im close.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
newb= someone new to the game
noob= someone annoying, someone who sucks at the game

ima 4

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
johns: no johns ever, but marth is gay can lower kens self esteem (not that it is high).
Thats kinda mean.
Idk.
Honestly somewhere between 3 and 5 I guess.
EDIT: OMG! maybe 4?!??

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm about a 4. I completely destroy my friends and family in smash, but never got into the competetive scene. I don't call myself a great player and always say I'd lose when I brawl against anyone :D and if I always beat a bunch of people, why would I be discouraged to end my smash career? I'm a big fan of the smash series (but no AT teching in melee) When I play my friends? I barely john! Wanna know why? because its dumb and makes you look more stupid and more of a noob (not newb) but! I john "ONLY" for fun and entertainment only.

What do you think I'm ranked?

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
zanoske, do you play on wifi?
Sorry, I dont have my Wii yet (curse nintendo for low stocking!) but I adapt very well without any long explanation. After many researching thanks to the smash community, I've learned various things that I have not even heard of while playing. I'd be happy to play you when i get it soon :]

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I dont have my Wii yet (curse nintendo for low stocking!) but I adapt very well without any long explanation. After many researching thanks to the smash community, I've learned various things that I have not even heard of while playing. I'd be happy to play you when i get it soon :]
4 most the time then i get the times where i'm a 5

no i don't play online i know i should but doesnt look like fun
He meant me.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman

4 most the time then i get the times where i'm a 5

no i don't play online i know i should but doesnt look like fun
He meant me.

Towbie

Smash Rookie
Im probably 4, in the city I live in at gamenights (Kind of you play multiple games for like one or two days in a row. You can call it a Lan with consoles like wii, ps2 and stuff) I have beaten everyone but one, who I haven't meet yet. Though, I really want to do it!

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I'm sure I saw a thread similar to this one, created by a SBR member :ohwell:
I can't find the link

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
how are you playing brawl without a wii?
you definately aren't a 4 if you haven't played online or gone to a tournament. you are most likely a 2 >.>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
how are you playing brawl without a wii?
you definately aren't a 4 if you haven't played online or gone to a tournament. you are most likely a 2 >.>
PC Cris didn't own Melee I think. =P
Or maybe my friend lied about that.
He probably did.

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
wow this is very accurate, im at like 3.75 [lets say im cracking the barrier] but i cant play under pressure (john)

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
im the desscription of a 3 but have the skill of like a 4 or 5. somewhere inbetween there. its strange because im usually the one to die first but i end up getting the same amount of kills as the winner does or better. anybody else like me?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
honesly, I've been playing smash since SSB64 came out, but didn't start playing serioulsy until I've played Melee, so to rate myself I say a 4, though 5 sound like where I should really be being that i've been at a bunch of tourneys

Popertop

Smash Champion
I'm a 4.
Trying real hard to get above that level.
I destroy players lesser than myself, but get destroyed by better players.
I can go even with some level 5's.
I'm trying to focus on smash and stuff...
need a job....

Top Bottom