• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 3 Sacred Treasures - Pit Matchup Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzerade

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0731-5667-3390
get diddy off stage and nair diddy near the ledge when he tries to up b. Itl knock him down so hes too low to recover or hell be able to recover again inwhcih just rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
Arrows are in my opinion; a godsend in this matchup. However, I feel like with Pit's guiding arrows, it goes from what I think is a 55:45 matchup to a 70:30 (in Pit's favor) Diddy can no longer easily recover low if Pit decides to use Guiding Arrow instead of Palutena's Bow, forcing him to stick to Side B for recovery. If it is a customs off tournament, other Pit mains tell me (I have not tested this yet) that Pit's Orbitars can cause a Diddy to fall to his doom if his jetpack isn't fully charged. Onstage, Pit has some trouble with Diddy's stage control, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem as Pit can probably just arrow the banana. I also think Pit fares better in this matchup than some other characters due to the guardian orbitars preventing dthrow shennanigans (but they are very easy to punish, so you should probably only use it once or twice just as a threat of sorts that says "hey, I can do this") However, one of Pit's biggest problems against Diddy lies in Diddy's Side B. It's a command grab, and it can also interrupt Upperdash Arm VERY easily.

However, don't take it from me; I still have a lot to learn regarding the Diddy vs Pit matchup as I don't fight nearly enough Diddy Kongs from my day to day.

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
Villager's fsmash (the bowling ball) is just murder to me. I can't avoid it. If I try to use Up B I get smacked with a bowling ball in the face. The only way I can recover with Pit if villager uses fsmash is with side B, and even then, he can send out a lloid rocket to remove the super armor early.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
You have to get to the ledge at an angle. If you fall off and far below, try to fly as far away from the ledge and then doing up-B so that you will land right at the ledge to grab it. If that doesn't work you might have to try doing a stage landing and doing DI so that Villager won't get an Upsmash on you.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you're on a stage that has a \___/ or U shaped underside, you could go deeper under the stage and Uspecial up from there safely, assuming Villager isn't on the ledge already. Otherwise it's just timing, which is actually pretty lenient. Guardian Orbitars are risky but hilarious if you reflect it right.

One thing to keep in mind is how Pit's Uspecial works. He doesn't grab the ledge until about halfway through, and he slides up the sides of stages pretty fast. If you're just out of reach on a tower type stage you can aim at a pretty low angle to recover instead of falling down and then recovering straight up in a predictable manor.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
will a reflected bowling ball hit villager or just fall back down again?

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Offstage? We own Diddy. Always expect the SideB when they're above stage, and you can either stay onstage and try to catch it with an USmash, an Arrow, or go off and meet them with a Fair. Below stage, you can run off and Nair or Fair them out of their UpB, or even snipe them out of it. Some people just sit onstage and let characters like Diddy recover for free. This is wrong. With our amazing recovery, don't be afraid to go deep for your edgeguards.

Onstage, it's a bit more balanced. Focus on not getting grabbed, because our weight makes us perfect for Diddy's Dthrow Aerial shenanigans. He outspeeds us, but we can space him out pretty well with all of our disjointed moves. SideB has plenty of landing lag that we can punish if they're a big fan of that move (Provided they're close enough to the ground, or commit to the kick).

As for Banana, watch out for Diddy's who hold shield while they have it. They wait for you to do something unsafe and then JC Item Toss OoS. A Grab will beat out this strategy, but be careful once they start adapting. People tend to want to hold Shield once that Banana comes out. Diddy has two ways around this. One, he can JC Item Toss anyway, and then Grab you before you can react. Or, he can catch you with his Command Grab SideB. Study how he acts once he has a Banana in his hand and try to read what he'll do. If you can gain control of the Banana, be sure to USE IT AGAINST HIM. Pit doesn't get kill combos off of throws like Diddy (Though we do have Fthrow, and Bthrow if badly DI'd near the ledge), but we can get just as much damage off of a throw as he can. Learning to JC Item Toss will make this much easier, since you can JC Item Toss into Anything, including FSmash, which is our earliest killing move.

In a nutshell, we have superior range, so first we use arrows to force him to approach. Play the matchup to learn how to space yourself against him.

Last edited:

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
i notice a lot of diddys rely on the side special. best way to handle that is with pits forward air.

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
One of Diddy's biggest assets is how stretchy his limbs are. This of course makes contesting moves like his Fair a hassle for some, and an impossibility for others. Our own Fair has just enough range for doing just that however. Our disjoints are a massive help throughout this whole matchup, especially since unlike other swordsmen we have speed and minimal landing lag to complement our range.

First and foremost, Pit needs to consider the banana in this matchup. I see too many players in general freak out and start pushing buttons in some sort of wanton attempt to pressure Diddy out of his nana. I would suggest the opposite: when Diddy has nana and is on the ground, you respect him. Don't push buttons, don't press for an opening; play it safe, and bait it with your jumps. If you have a read, make sure it's made with either a dash attack or an aerial so you can both catch the nana and put yourself in advantage at the same time. When the nana is out of his hands, eliminate it from the picture as soon as possible. Throw it at him, throw it offstage, attack it - anything as long as it is no longer giving free stage control to Diddy.

Now, another big part of this matchup are grabs. Diddy has a grab game off his wahoo, but Pit's grab itself isn't to bad itself either. Our pivot grab in particular works wonders when facing more aggressive Diddy Kongs. Our rewards may not be as good, but as it is, we need only to be capable of contesting his grab. Pit will inevitably get grabbed by Diddy though, and this becomes a problem when we consider Pit's suceptability for being juggled. Don't challenge his Uair from above; the move is too fast, and too risky to be hit by at higher percentages. When you are thrown, always DI up and away to avoid multiple Uair strings. Besides this, his aerials are potent but simply cannot win against Pit's well spaced aerials.

Lastly, the off-stage game between these two is worth mentioning simply because of the ease Pit has when edge guarding. Diddy is not as easy to gimp as is advertised, but we do have several tools to make our day easier when the monkey is grasping for ground. Ftilt, Fsmash, and Fair are great for keeping Diddy out when he recovers at middle and lowish ranges with SideB, and arrows plus either Uair, Dair, or Bair keep him busy when he looks for high or lower recoveries with UpB. Noteworthy are Pit's customs - in particular Guiding Arrow and Impact Orbitars - for being a wonderful addition that when properly used should make it almost impossible for Diddy Kong to make it back onstage.

55:45 Diddy's favor is the ratio I'm feeling based on personal experience vs Diddy, but I see it as 50:50 more than anything in theory when optimal play is considered. We aren't laggy like most other swordsmen so we can abuse our range advantage and our offstage game is downright scary vs more questionable recoveries. However Diddy is just to solid of a character and the liberties his gameplay allow require very patient, thoughtful play from Pit.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Due to pits wonderful Recovery You should have time To down B just in time to get an extra few jumps and up B to safety! Besides Its a very strong projectile by itself so if you blast it back at him... Ouch for him!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Here's a good question for you guys: What's Pit's worst matchup? I'm thinking it's Lucario. Because having trouble killing vs a character who gets stronger with more damage he takes doesn't ever go well. :skull:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Here's a good question for you guys: What's Pit's worst matchup? I'm thinking it's Lucario. Because having trouble killing vs a character who gets stronger with more damage he takes doesn't ever go well. :skull:
Time was I would have said Dedede. Fortunately, I'm less abjectly terrified of him nowadays, and I'd be more inclined to say Rosaluma is our hardest matchup.

That said, I think Lucario is tricky as well. It's pretty tough to kill an opponent who gets stronger and whose recovery improves as you damage him, which kinda scuppers both of Pit's best KO options.

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
DDD has been my worst matchup so far, but I've never been sure if that's because I play Pit or just because I (as a player) am poor at understanding and fighting DDD in general.

Strangely Lucario I don't have much trouble with, though that could just be because I haven't played a good one.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I have all the top level diddies here in socal so I have given the matchup a lot of thought.

Our strengths:
Jab (kill or catch banana when thrown at you safely, beat out diddy close range while countering grab)
Offstage: keep diddy there
Nair/Dair out of shield: as a gtfo from grab as well
Dash attack and up smash: don't let diddy land for free if he gets aerial, this is your moment
Arrows: to make them approach and to try and knock the second jump offstage

Issues:
Diddy fair: it isn't fair, it is so safe
Diddy sideb: at any moment he can do it and wreck you, unless you dodge and punish the landing (do not challenge it directly unless you are already out of it's attack range, it will win)
Diddy banana: this takes the matchup from fun to seemingly disadvantageous, jab or catch it (airdodge, dash attack, jab, aerials, and airdodge->cstick throw are all catch options)
Hoo hah: do the right DI (towards at low percents, away at kill percents) and jump when you can (non-combo percents) because this ends the string early

We should be able to camp diddy, but his banana control makes it seem a lot more deep of a matchup than that. Coupled with his fair alone, I think pit loses 40-60.

Last edited:

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Good advice on the dash attack to deal with pikmin throw. You clearly have a lot of experience. But how far does olimar have to be to do a "safe' pikmin throw then? And how do you suggest "cornering" olimar? Richbrown in my region tends to run away a lot...

D

Deleted member

Is Pit not Ideal to battle pikachu and i should just use a secondary or is there a way to defeat him?

If there isnt what secondary is good for pikachu?

The main Problem I am having is the grab and shock, then down throw and combo into thunder.

Otsillac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gobbledy-gooker
What do you guys think about the Shaq MU? Personally, I think it's 90:10, Shaq's favor. Shaq's crazy good recovery makes him hard to gimp, and D-Throw to Slam Dunk is so OP.

(On a more serious note, what are the opinions on the Pikachu MU? He's super annoying and I have no idea how to fight him)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
(On a more serious note, what are the opinions on the Pikachu MU? He's super annoying and I have no idea how to fight him)
Agreed, he's fast and tiny, not a good combination for punishment. I always end up falling for his f-smash somehow, and his pesky d-throw -> down-b, while not lethal, is a tricky setup all the same.

Arrow seems almost useless - if they even reach him, he can just duck out of the way. Small hitbox means it's difficult to get him with n-air / d-air strings, and he can close to distance very easily, so spacing is tough. Quite a tricky matchup. Advice would be appreciated.

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
DDD has been my worst matchup so far, but I've never been sure if that's because I play Pit or just because I (as a player) am poor at understanding and fighting DDD in general.
How is that Pit's worst matchup? I don't understand, quite frankly. I mean, King Dedede does outrange our weapon, survives pretty long, has a lot of powerful moves that also get boosted from rage, and has a super annoying recovery. But Pit has attacks that, if spaced well enough, can easily rack up King Dedede's percentage pretty high. He also has Arrows of Light, which are pretty good for sniping him to add up damage too before a f-throw will eventually KO him.

This never felt like a terrible matchup for Pit. But I guess I haven't fought a good King Dedede with him. Can anyone link me a video of Pit vs. King Dedede to show me how it works?

SoulRed12

Smash Cadet
How is that Pit's worst matchup? I don't understand, quite frankly. I mean, King Dedede does outrange our weapon, survives pretty long, has a lot of powerful moves that also get boosted from rage, and has a super annoying recovery. But Pit has attacks that, if spaced well enough, can easily rack up King Dedede's percentage pretty high. He also has Arrows of Light, which are pretty good for sniping him to add up damage too before a f-throw will eventually KO him.

This never felt like a terrible matchup for Pit. But I guess I haven't fought a good King Dedede with him. Can anyone link me a video of Pit vs. King Dedede to show me how it works?
I didn't say it was Pit's worst matchup, I said it was probably my own worst matchup, and that I didn't know how much of it was due to the characters vs. due to the players. But, I can say that when I play against a good DDD, it definitely feels like there's some kind of a matchup disadvantage going on. I think part of it too is that Pit just doesn't have any truly awful matchups (at least, not that I know of), so even if this one isn't completely horrible it might still be considered one of his worst.

As for DDD's advantages, you basically named them. Pit likes to outrange and space, can have a little trouble killing, and as a result likes to gimp. DDD outranges Pit, is even harder to kill than the average fighter because of the weight, and is very difficult to gimp. As for arrows, they're a great poking tool, but they don't really solve the matchup. Pit can't even gimp with them like he can against, say, Falcon or Diddy, because DDD has all those jumps and super armor on his up+B.

I can't seem to find any tournament footage of DDD vs. Pit. I don't think people really use DDD in tournaments, at least not ones that are uploaded to youtube, so it's an even tougher task finding one against a particular fighter. There are random for glory matches that I can find though by searching "pit vs. dedede smash 4" but none of them so far contain very high quality gameplay.

Last edited:

Sparky15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elec-Wolf
3DS FC
2578-3364-0347
I didn't say it was Pit's worst matchup, I said it was probably my own worst matchup, and that I didn't know how much of it was due to the characters vs. due to the players. But, I can say that when I play against a good DDD, it definitely feels like there's some kind of a matchup disadvantage going on. I think part of it too is that Pit just doesn't have any truly awful matchups (at least, not that I know of), so even if this one isn't completely horrible it might still be considered one of his worst.

As for DDD's advantages, you basically named them. Pit likes to outrange and space, can have a little trouble killing, and as a result likes to gimp. DDD outranges Pit, is even harder to kill than the average fighter because of the weight, and is very difficult to gimp. As for arrows, they're a great poking tool, but they don't really solve the matchup. Pit can't even gimp with them like he can against, say, Falcon or Diddy, because DDD has all those jumps and super armor on his up+B.

I can't seem to find any tournament footage of DDD vs. Pit. I don't think people really use DDD in tournaments, at least not ones that are uploaded to youtube, so it's an even tougher task finding one against a particular fighter. There are random for glory matches that I can find though by searching "pit vs. dedede smash 4" but none of them so far contain very high quality gameplay.
Oh, I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was personal. I thought King Dedede was a sort of common main in tournaments, but I guess not. Besides, Pit is a fairly versatile character, kind of like Mario, but not as much. So he can't have that many bad MUs, does he?

On the topic of bad MUs, Olimar/Alph feels like a tough one. I have an Alph main in my state and my other three mains wouldn't cut it. He is one of the better SSB4 players here.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Pit is a character that requires patience and proper spacing against small characters, like Pikachu. If you rush in too much, your going to get punished big time from Pikachus combos. Try not to fly diagonally towards the stage, since Pikachu can actually stage spike you with a bair, if you don't tech that. Mix up the recovery by using the side B to make it safely back on stage if you notice your opponent is trying to stage spike you. When I meant spacing, I meant use dtilt if you notice Pikachu approaching you. First, you must try to bait that by running towards him and doing either empty nairs, or jump backwards without doing anything. Another thing to keep in mind is that 3-hit jab can actually combo into a usmash. If your opponent is danicing around with QAC (Quick Attack Cencels) off from a platform, either a nair or usmash should shut him down. Guardian Orbitars actually deflects Pikachus thunder, so that can be really useful if you want to avoid getting juggled. As Pikachu lands with a quick aerial, use your dsmash out of your shield to punish any of Pikachus aerials. Fortunately, Pikachu can die at early % from either Pit's Fsmash or Usmash if you can land some good reads by baiting him to airdodge.

The matchup could be 45:55 Pikachus Favor I would say.

Last edited:

BaeBraham

Coffee and Smash enthusiast
NNID
BaeBraham
3DS FC
4184-3853-8896
How are you all versus the Mario Bros.?
Versus Luigi- This is personally one of my hardest matchups. I can outplay a Luigi player for 90% of a match, and he can get a quick string and rack up equal damage against me like it's nothing as Pit. Not to mention close up Luigi is basically the king of just slap the c-stick in any given direction and you can do it again even if you wiff the first attack because he seems to have glorious frame data, making it super hard to punish Luigi for standard attacks and aerials. But that could just be me.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Luigi is a tricky beast. My main thing is that you have to worry about his 50/50 kill moves (Explosive Up B, and Explosive Side B). Luigi also has amazingly short end lag on most of his moves. Pit has some pretty bad whiffs on his kill moves (Side B, Side Smash, Up Smash, etc) While using a 3333 set fixes this stuff, Luigi still can give Pit a hard time, but nothing too bad. Id say it would be 45/50 maybe. Its not really in favor of either. Luigi also has great air game so he can go toe to toe when not fully off stage. The main issue being Pits air moves last a while while Luigi has really short air game. Pit can zone better tho easily, has a better recovery, and Luigi isn't safe from gimping.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Also the Mario match up is in Pit's favor. Pits range trumps Marios. Plus Marios recovery is kinda meh (Dr.Mario even more so) so its pretty easy to gimp. Plus most Mario players do similar thing (Dthrow, Utilt, Uair combo) The biggest issue Mario presents is fireballs and his dreaded cape. The cape can really jack things up in the zoning department since a lot of Pits game has the use of arrows. His guiding arrows can be used for tricking him up I guess, but even then its a meh. Pit outranges mario, can gimp him relatively easily, and Pit can rack up damage at about the same rate as Mario. so I'd personally say 65/35 in Pits favor here.

D

Deleted member

I think Pikachu is quite a hard matchup for pit

Pikachu has lots of juggle potential for pit and can do a lot of annoying shock attacks.
Thunder can easily stop the air game from starting and keeps pit on the ground most of the time. If you ready and upperdash arm it can use its thunder jolt to stop you from hitting it leaving you completely vulnerable, which can lead into a grab, shock, down throw and thunder combo pretty easily. Pikachu also has great air potential with its side be completely shocking pit back onto the ground. Overall it is an 8:2 matchup in pikachus favor in my opinion.

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
I keep getting schooled by my friend who's a very good ZSS main in our region. I'm also a very good Pit main and have no problem in most matchups but this one. ZSS's disjointed aerials/specials and range make it hard to get in and her speed just overwhelmes me in a fashion that she can pull off a short hopped FF Nair and grab before I can retaliate/spot dodge and convert those into kill combos.

Now normally I would just switch to Fox and fare better off that way but there's gotta be a way to beat her solidly as Pit. What I have noticed is the offstage game is where Pit shines against her and most of my wins against my friend have come from fair and arrow gimps/bair stage spikes and dair spikes. However, the neutral against her is where I struggle heavily. Any tips?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I usually use Upperdash whenever she tries her down b, stay away from her grab then grab her, or spam neutral b with her at the same time until one of us gives up. The match up is always hype for me in the end either way. Pit/ZSS seems like one of the most hype fights.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I have trouble with this MU too.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I have trouble with this MU too.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Hmm, I'll give some quick tips I think might help.

Guardian Orbitars can save your life if you know she's going for an up-special kill when you are in the air. Remember that you can fall off-state with them to avoid the landing/end lag without much fear of dying, as Pit can recover from the depths of the Underworld no sweat (Thanks Lady Palutena!).

From my experience against her (my roommate mains her but I won't say he's the best by any means), I find ZSS isn't that comfortable going low/understage for KOs. I've actually got a pretty cheesy KO against my roommate with this-- I held my guardian orbitars against a high percentage down throw, knowing his follow-ups were no longer guaranteed and he was looking for the KO. I fell down and off the stage with them; he followed me, waiting to punish their end lag, but because I fast-fell and the camera zoomed in too much on the two of us, I don't think he realized just how low we went. I was able to up-special back to the stage... he was not. It's a rather odd case, but showcases how useful the GOs can be. Of course, if you get too comfortable using them, any good player will catch on and work around them, but airdodging can mean death against ZSS so it is a nice option to have.

One of the main things to take advantage of against ZSS is end lag on her whiffed grabs. Try to dance in and out of her grab range (I know it's big so space well) with safe moves/run up shielding to bait out a grab so you can get one of your own. Her grab combos are potent, but it's balanced in that she has to commit so much to get the grab.

Conversely, remember that her charge shot and dsmash don't have much end lag, so don't fall for her bait and try to punish her because you could be eating something far worse. Even seemingly safe punishes become tricky because that frame 1 jab comes out... well... frame 1. I think playing more defensively is greatly rewarded, as Pit has just as many bait and punish tools as ZSS. If your opponent goes overly aggressive, you should be at the advantage. If you go overly aggressive, she's eventually going to land a free grab and lay on the hurt.

For edgeguarding, I'd recommend waiting until ZSS uses her down-special before committing to anything. You can catch her at the end of the jump with a lasting hitbox like nair, but during the jump she'll just sail on right by you, or worse-- spike you to your death off-stage. My roommate likes to recover high more often than low because of how seemingly safe down-special is for ZSS as a recovery option, but so long as you are patient and wait for the kick to end you should be able to punish their landing. If they switch it up and recover low, go do what Pit does best and harass them off-stage. This one is circumstantial, but if you know that ZSS already used her double jump AND down special, her only options left are up-special and tether grab, which means pushing her gently away from the ledge with Guardian Orbitars. Make sure you pay attention to what movement options she has left.

This isn't an exhaustive analysis but it's the first things that came to mind. Good luck against your friend!

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
Hmm, I'll give some quick tips I think might help.

Guardian Orbitars can save your life if you know she's going for an up-special kill when you are in the air. Remember that you can fall off-state with them to avoid the landing/end lag without much fear of dying, as Pit can recover from the depths of the Underworld no sweat (Thanks Lady Palutena!).

From my experience against her (my roommate mains her but I won't say he's the best by any means), I find ZSS isn't that comfortable going low/understage for KOs. I've actually got a pretty cheesy KO against my roommate with this-- I held my guardian orbitars against a high percentage down throw, knowing his follow-ups were no longer guaranteed and he was looking for the KO. I fell down and off the stage with them; he followed me, waiting to punish their end lag, but because I fast-fell and the camera zoomed in too much on the two of us, I don't think he realized just how low we went. I was able to up-special back to the stage... he was not. It's a rather odd case, but showcases how useful the GOs can be. Of course, if you get too comfortable using them, any good player will catch on and work around them, but airdodging can mean death against ZSS so it is a nice option to have.

One of the main things to take advantage of against ZSS is end lag on her whiffed grabs. Try to dance in and out of her grab range (I know it's big so space well) with safe moves/run up shielding to bait out a grab so you can get one of your own. Her grab combos are potent, but it's balanced in that she has to commit so much to get the grab.

Conversely, remember that her charge shot and dsmash don't have much end lag, so don't fall for her bait and try to punish her because you could be eating something far worse. Even seemingly safe punishes become tricky because that frame 1 jab comes out... well... frame 1. I think playing more defensively is greatly rewarded, as Pit has just as many bait and punish tools as ZSS. If your opponent goes overly aggressive, you should be at the advantage. If you go overly aggressive, she's eventually going to land a free grab and lay on the hurt.

For edgeguarding, I'd recommend waiting until ZSS uses her down-special before committing to anything. You can catch her at the end of the jump with a lasting hitbox like nair, but during the jump she'll just sail on right by you, or worse-- spike you to your death off-stage. My roommate likes to recover high more often than low because of how seemingly safe down-special is for ZSS as a recovery option, but so long as you are patient and wait for the kick to end you should be able to punish their landing. If they switch it up and recover low, go do what Pit does best and harass them off-stage. This one is circumstantial, but if you know that ZSS already used her double jump AND down special, her only options left are up-special and tether grab, which means pushing her gently away from the ledge with Guardian Orbitars. Make sure you pay attention to what movement options she has left.

This isn't an exhaustive analysis but it's the first things that came to mind. Good luck against your friend!
This is exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks my friend, I'll try and apply what you've talked about in my gameplay.

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
I hate Zss. So much. Everything about her is broken. It's best to keep your distance and wait for her attacks to come out. Attack or approach when she fsmashes, dsmashes, or side bs. Some attacks of hers leave her open so try and find an opening and start with an upperdash arm or grab set up.

Seriously Sakurai why would you make a character with powerful attacks, the ability to stun easily and amazing recovery. Seriously.....

UmbreonMageBrando

The Quiet One
NNID
Megaman648
Recently I've been having trouble against Pikachu, I feel like as Pit I can't do anything without eating anything that Pikachu throws at me due to how spamable his moves are, his quick attack being used for mind gaming, his speed being able to punish my landing thus preventing me from doing anything and juggle me for days.

I try not to get frustrated and keep my cool but after so many matches that end up with Pikachu being my opponent and getting bodied in every single match that I've fought a Pikachu in, I feel like theres not much hope for Pit in this match up especially against Pikachus that rush you down and make you afraid of everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom