• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 3 Phases of a Fox Game

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
This is an updated version of the phases of a Fox game.

Fox excels in dealing a lot of damage quickly and KO-ing efficiently. Fox's weaknesses are approaching and being easily killed. That said, it becomes obvious that all attention must be given to avoiding approaches and killing as fast as possible.

Phase One: Early stock 0%-50%

Fox should always be able to come out ahead in the early stock, utilts > usmash combo is able to rack up atleast 40% on every one of the high tier characters, without exception. Any grab you get will lead into another 20% or so through either chasing a Fthrow or Dthrow. Bairs here can lead into Utilts. The agenda is to force an opponents approach and get the first hit.

The modus operandi of racking up damage with Fox in the early stock is simple, and with care not to fall into your opponents high damage moves you should be able to come out ahead. Fox's strength in the early game is one of the most powerful weapons that will push you to a victory - simply enough, if you can fulfill the win condition quicker than your opponent, the game is yours.

Phase Two: 50% - 90%

Right here you are within 40% or so of an upsmash. That last margin can be reached easily with a good string of moves. You might not be able to do the 50 or 60 that you could earlier, but you can still lead into upsmashes or grabs with your uptilt. This is pretty much the same as when they're early stock, except you can't extend your strings as long.

Phase Three: Kill Range

Aim to land an Upsmash or Bair, other possibilities are catching high opponents with rising Fairs. Big point to note, you cannot telegraph your Upsmash. Upsmashes should come out of the blue if they're not combo'd into. If you miss one Upsmash, then you've given your opponent a warning shot and all future attempts will be difficult. It's good to practice Upsmashing on the off-moment, do it by delaying your expected action and catching your opponent off guard (IE, faking a Shdrill, but empty hop and Upsmash when opponent drops shield). Equally effective is charging your Upsmash for just a second in spotdodging situations, as the queue to spotdodge is the “clicking noise” and animation before the smash.

In conclusion....

The key to winning as Fox is to play more efficiently than the opponent in terms of stock-length. Avoid their strong moves, avoid approaching, and get your kills as cleanly as possible.

§witch

Smash Lord
Unless they happen to be camping, and if they are falco/snake chances are they can out camp you, so you're forced to approach them. Otherwise, that is a pretty good sum up of what a stock should look/feel like with fox, and really puts it in perspective. It's amazing how fast you can take a stock with fox.

tonyrulz92

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow. I never knew about doing these things. I just went ahead and comboed and usmash people. Thanks for this! And i do hope this gets bigger.

FoxXMcloud

Smash Rookie
i thought it was just fighting till they die ( with some combos) then i tried to only spike ( which was hard)
but now i know its about combo then finish. thanks

soul ark

Smash Ace
i hate the word meta game

nonetheless this is great especially for me because i love to bs around 90-150% when i know i could ko at 90

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
i hate the word meta game

nonetheless this is great especially for me because i love to bs around 90-150% when i know i could ko at 90
why cuz it sound like "metaknight"? lulz.

there's no reason why fox would have trouble getting a kill once he gets close, dair/ weak nair/shine(sometimes)> into usmash or just punish with it. it's pretty quick for its power.

cakecontrol

Smash Cadet
well said but i think u are not taken a good look. there are so many more things u can do with fox u dont have to follow a set of things to win.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
There's no reason to save the Upsmash.

Fox is one of the best characters for "replenishing" diminished returns.

You should of also probably mentioned Bair being a great KOing move.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace

Correct and incorrect, but that doesn't mean you should use an up-smash where a down smash will suffice.

I've mentione that in numerous other thread, I'll update this one later.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City

Some foxes work good without it being that go to move. I usually do save mines because i'll sometimes go and entire stock with someone take them a stock down and not use it at all. I do this just to keep my opponent guessing. Because every fox would resort to that move but what would you be thinking if I killed you without that move...you know? So that's just my thought on that.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Correct and incorrect, but that doesn't mean you should use an up-smash where a down smash will suffice.
I was thinking something more like:

"A Snake your shield you want to punish him".

If Snake was at 105%, it would be a perfect chance for a kill, but even at lower percents, it's probably the most damaging way you can quickly punish him.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
heres a few ideas

first fox can get rid of stale moves stupidly fast because of lasers/ REALLY FAST GRAB HITS so i would go for that usmash to get the jump from like 40 to 60 because easy percent in brawl is HUGE. it's why alot of ppl bthrow with ddd after a chaingrab. just don't use it like 5 times a stock or something dumb like that just because you can't spam it doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. restricting yourself from using a move that is the best for your current situation just because it might be good later on (which you can't guarantee) is not a good idea. just keep track of your uses and do alot of grab jabs and try to fit in lasers.

second overthinking is dangerous

that is all

Wrap It Up

Smash Apprentice
This actually can help some people. Whenever I play SSBB I setup things like this in my head.
But I also think about counters. And the character I'm facing.

/typed with one hand, since I'm eating chips.

harpuia190

Smash Ace
hmmm agreed for the most part, i feel this is an excellent base for any fox game, actually i would say this is a great way to say where your fox could use improvements

i.e. disguising your upsmash, recently i have found this to be very useful, if the move is even slightly expected the opponent will usually be able to avoid it

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
speed
accuracy
timeing

That's all there is to fox.
just don't let your speed be 2 much 4 your own good.

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Oh my God people...08-16-2008

Come on guys, this isn't the best thing out there anymore. Read and don't comment.

Top Bottom