• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 2GGC: Civil War Discussion Thread

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Just came on the stream and see Falcon in finals.

LOL!

Also Link in top 3

Last edited:

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
And Dabuz with a 3-1

such a close set, i genuinely could never tell who was going to win each game (exception being game 4) but props to dabuz, and they both played amazingly

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Daaaaamn. Dabuz adjusted too quickly for Fatality. Not sure what he could do against Rosa. Dabuz was not letting him act at all.

JB333

Smash Apprentice
Good job Dabuz... I guess he did deserve it

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
So :rosalina:has won the last 2 major's after everyone was calling her overrated trash. What did Rosa players change?

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Congrats to Dabuz. He earned it winning the most stacked Smash 4 tournament so far. Still, Fatality played super super well up until grands, he just ran out of gas. I feel like he would have had a better chance if he came from winners. Dabuz takes Civil War. What a freaking tournament, this will be one to remember

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
#JinxingToGetThePersonYouWantToWinHYPE

Now watch the entire Competetive discussion thread downgrade Dabuz's win.

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
zack still has time to dance even when the games are done lol

Last edited:

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
#JinxingToGetThePersonYouWantToWinHYPE

Now watch the entire Competetive discussion thread downgrade Dabuz's win.
No one should downgrade Dabuz, he won the most stacked Smash 4 tournament ever. Admittedly I would have loved to see Fatality take it over him but I gotta give credit where credit is due.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
No one should downgrade Dabuz, he won the most stacked Smash 4 tournament ever. Admittedly I would have loved to see Fatality take it over him but I gotta give credit where credit is due.
Exactly but it's gonna happen cause people want to complain about something .

Also @DasKoopa you should do the top 49 because this was stacked as all hell(for your rankings)

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Fly Society made the best decision possible when they got Fatality. That man is brutal, and I love it. But, that stage spike game 4....ouch, you'd have to be able to see into the future in order to be ready for that, just came out of nowhere.
Good stuff to Dabuz though. After FPS2, he'd want to prove that he's still the best rosa around, and this did it.
They are 1-1 in sets and last time they played, Marss won.
BH6, right? Just off a guess, forgot to watch it, but Fatality manhandled Marss at smash Con. Hence why at the time I was under the impression it'd be easier than fighting zack.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Aight, these top players are pissing me off.

How are you gonna cry when people call your cloud a pocket, then proceed to discredit the incredible wins we saw today from an unconventional top 8?
These comments would be nowhere in sight if the usual crew were in top 8.

Even if they wanna say "I didn't say that"...you still kinda discredited them. RNG implies that a player can't control the outcome. Rage and RNG are not the same thing at all.

Y'all wouldn't be saying this is ZeRo won again would you?

NairWizard

Somewhere
Today's tournament was a very good showing of what happens when you remove the neutral-oppressive ZeRo and his Diddy Kong from the equation.

Amazing stuff. Kind of wish ZeRo would retire to Melee and let these kinds of things happen more often.

* controversial opinion *

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Today's tournament was a very good showing of what happens when you remove the neutral-oppressive ZeRo and his Diddy Kong from the equation.

Amazing stuff. Kind of wish ZeRo would retire to Melee and let these kinds of things happen more often.

* controversial opinion *
Or retire from working in his early 20s(?) And somehow manage, this game is his main source of income lol. I don't think he really has a presence in Melee and it would be hell to catch up now after so many years.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Aight, these top players are pissing me off.

How are you gonna cry when people call your cloud a pocket, then proceed to discredit the incredible wins we saw today from an unconventional top 8?
These comments would be nowhere in sight if the usual crew were in top 8.

Even if they wanna say "I didn't say that"...you still kinda discredited them. RNG implies that a player can't control the outcome. Rage and RNG are not the same thing at all.

Y'all wouldn't be saying this is ZeRo won again would you?

Mr. R has always been someone who lived by his dominance and control of the neutral in this game. Imagine losing to two Players who used characters with playstyles that say.. Well screw the neutral game, it doesn't matter how much you control It. All I need is just one opening or conversion to take your stocks away.

I can imagine it being a bit demoralizing for Mr.R at least,

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Gone with the wind

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Mr. R has always been someone who lived by his dominance and control of the neutral in this game. Imagine losing to two Players who used characters with playstyles that say.. Well screw thr neutral game, it doesn't matter how much you control It. All I need is just one opening or conversion to take your stocks away.

I can imagine it being a bit demoralizing for him,
Oh no, I get that. But when you spread that negativity to said players you lost to?

That's what I don't get or like.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
All I have to say is we'll see how players like T, Fatality, Hikaru, etc. do going forward. If anything, it goes to show a lot of characters are fairly viable. What top players clearly do is adapt like crazy to stay at the top. That's what Zero, Nairo, Ally, etc. typically do and that's why we see them placing well again and again.

I look forward to seeing what the new blood does next. And as a Link main, congrats to T on getting third!

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Oh no, I get that. But when you spread that negativity to said players you lost to?

Yea I understand ya loud and clear on that

No "Congratulations guy's " or "Amazing job on showing what these characters can really do in the competive meta" to T or Fatality.

Just "This game is so jank and bracket luck dependant so anyone can do really well lolz"

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman

From Mr. R:
"People love assuming stuff and putting words in top players' mouths when they make a broad statement."

I don't think he was pinpointing any particular person or even saying anything in particular about his performance. However, without more context it does come across that way. Like for example, he mentioned that it's not really fair to compare his final standing and Void's, because Void had a really tough bracket in pools and then ran into Anti early on and lost.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Just came back to this site to say that the, uh, "competitive insight and analysis" thread can suck an egg with their circlejerky and incorrect analysis of this game. Echochambers don't help with anything.
hey now

I've been saying that Falcon is amazing since the game released in that thread

psh

Roy still sucks tho :)

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
From Mr. R:
"People love assuming stuff and putting words in top players' mouths when they make a broad statement."

I don't think he was pinpointing any particular person or even saying anything in particular about his performance. However, without more context it does come across that way. Like for example, he mentioned that it's not really fair to compare his final standing and Void's, because Void had a really tough bracket in pools and then ran into Anti early on and lost.
Surely he must see how that can come off, no? It takes no genius to see the implications of that post.

Instead of any congratulations or praise for T, Fatality, or HIKARU, he talks about how "RNG" the game is. I agree that brackets play a large role (because this cast is so well balanced...not due to RNG) but crying about rage directly after an unconvential top 8 is ew.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Surely he must see how that can come off, no? It takes no genius to see the implications of that post.

Instead of any congratulations or praise, he talks about how "RNG" the game is. I agree that brackets play a large role (because this cast is so well balanced...not due to RNG) but crying about rage directly after an unconvential top 8 is ew.
I totally agree and am not a fan of it either. I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt since I'd rather be positive about it.

FOW went and posted a Rosa absorbing Ness's UpB as a response xD.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Fly Society made the best decision possible when they got Fatality. That man is brutal, and I love it. But, that stage spike game 4....ouch, you'd have to be able to see into the future in order to be ready for that, just came out of nowhere.
Good stuff to Dabuz though. After FPS2, he'd want to prove that he's still the best rosa around, and this did it.

BH6, right? Just off a guess, forgot to watch it, but Fatality manhandled Marss at smash Con. Hence why at the time I was under the impression it'd be easier than fighting zack.
I don't remember the exact tournament he won and can't check because I'm at work but let's pretend for a second that the set never happened and Fatality was up 1-0. That still would not mean it is a free win for him now because one set is not a pattern.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Loving EE and Gunblade's commentary on the crews. This is what I'm here for.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I love all this talk about RNG or whatever, and two things stand out:

1.) Dabuz never dropped a set/dropped out of winners.

2.) Emblem Lord and Pierce are right - this game is about pushing your advantage when you get the opportunity. It's why the Top 8 was so skewed towards heavy hitting or advantage-heavy characters.

It's also why when Nairo uncharacteristically didn't push against Fatality, he lost. It's also apparently becoming the "New Rosa" meta. Look at Dabuz and Kirihara - they were relentless in advantage. Game 4 of GF was basically hyper aggro Rosa. Dabuz capitalized on almost every opportunity he had.

It's not just winning at neutral. Smash 4 is about what you make of your neutral wins.

Top Bottom