• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 26-Man Roster Game

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Credit goes out to @Kooj Kooj for their 12-Man Roster Game thread, and CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 for their 40-Man Roster Game (which I'm surprised was made before this one), both providing the idea for this thread. We've gone over the idea of cutting the roster down in size to just 12 and 40 characters like in 64 and Brawl in those 2 threads, so let's play that game all over again with the limit being 26 characters, just like in Melee (reminder that Zelda and Sheik shared a slot).

Here's the Melee roster for reference:

Since I'm a nice guy, despite the clones in Melee's roster taking much less development time than fully original characters, I'm NOT going to impose a stipulation that will either require the same number of clones in the roster as Melee had, or cutting 2 clones for 1 original character slot, just like Diddy Kong Diddy Kong did in his classic Melee Roster Reboot thread. And unlike Melee, 3rd party characters are fair game, but no 4th parties whatsoever.

However, there's a catch. 2, to be exact.
1. You are required to use the 12 characters you had in your roster in the 12-Man Roster Game since this is supposed to be the "sequel" to that. Melee kept the original 12, so your Melee sized roster must keep your original 12. The original 8 rule from the 40-Man Roster Game does not apply here, though I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing the original 8 in everyone's rosters anyways.

2. Melee might've not had any 3rd party characters, but I'll be fair and let you have 2 in your roster at most. Having 3rd parties or not in your roster is completely up to you, but you can't put in more than 2. That way, I am respecting the decision of some to include a 3rd party in their 12-Man Roster Game rosters, as well as keeping the roster limited to mostly Nintendo characters, as Smash is first and foremost a Nintendo game.

And with all of that out of the way, have fun.

My Roster:

Transformation: :4zss: (Not seen in the slot picture just like Sheik in Melee, transformation works just like in Brawl, with Final Smashes actually existing in my version of a modern Melee, or by holding down Shield when selecting Samus)

Following my first rule of requiring your original 12 from the 12-Man Roster Game, I started the roster with my original 12: :4mario::4dk::4link::4kirby::4pikachu::4samus::4fox::4yoshi::4marth::4villager::4olimar:and Inkling.

Just like the 12-Man Roster, I've treated this as a "what if Smash Bros. never existed until today" situation, and applied some rules for MY OWN roster:

No 3rd parties, just like Melee. A history with Smash Bros. doesn't help your chances with getting in, as this is in a world where Smash Bros. was made today rather than 1999. I am also applying the current state of Nintendo franchises rather than how they were in 1999 (series like F-Zero and Mother are considered retro with a lack of new games, Fire Emblem is well known by western audiences, newer franchises like Splatoon exist).

:4luigi::4peach::4bowser:: The most important characters from the Mario series aside from Mario himself.
:4wario2:: In his classic design primarily rather than the biker outfit. Warioware does exist, but he first and foremost represents the Wario Land games. Not quite making the cut in the 12-Man Roster, he makes it in here.
:4diddy:: DK's right hand man (monkey?) that's been in basically every DK game since DKC.
:4ness:: This roster's "obscure retro" character (G&W, R.O.B., DH). The huge cult following that his franchise has, as well as the recent release of Earthbound Beginnings gets him in over other "retro" characters.
:4shulk:: Yet another character that nearly made it into the 12-Man Roster. Xenoblade is hugely popular and deserves to be represented by the protagonist of the first game.
:4dedede:: The original Kirby villain (and eventually anti-hero), Dedede has been there since the start and deserves to be the second Kirby representative.
:4zss:: Zero Suit Samus has a very unique moveset and deserves to be in the roster. She's a transformation rather than a separate character as I'd prefer to keep the roster a bit closer to how it was in Melee with a 2-in-1 transforming character on the roster. Unlike other possible 2-in-1s, she's maintained relevance throughout Metroid since her introduction (despite literally being Samus without her Power Suit).
:4zelda::4ganondorf:: The Triforce trio is completed with these two. With no C. Falcon on the roster, Ganondorf has his own original moveset, and was chosen over pig/beast Ganon because of preference.
:4greninja::4charizard:: Two of the most recognizable and popular Pokemon ever today. Anime and the 2016 Japan popularity poll help with both.
:4pit:: The other character that nearly got into the 12-Man Roster. Although Kid Icarus Uprising was fairly recent, Pit is treated like the Ice Climbers, himself and Little Mac in each of their respective debut Smash games as a fan favorite retro revival character.
I would have fit in another Fire Emblem character (either :4myfriends: or :4robinm:) if I had not decided on adding the transformation stipulation for the 26th character. All clones are cut in favor of more relevant and unique characters that ended up taking priority over them anyways while making the roster. Other characters were either treated as "retro" and had :4ness: and :4pit:put in favor over them (:4gaw:,:4littlemac:, etc.), had history mostly with Smash Bros. rather than their original franchises (:4falcon:,:4sheik:, etc.), just didn't quite make the cut because of roster size limit (:4metaknight:,:wolf:, etc.), or lack relevancy compared to other characters already in the roster (:rosalina:,:4wiifit:, etc.)

Edit: After some consideration, a change was made: removal of the requirement of a transforming/tag-team/2-in-1 character in rosters. However, you are free to add these kinds of characters to your roster as you wish, but the 2 or more characters included in the slot count as separate characters towards the total for the roster. I do not plan on changing MY OWN roster, however.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Had a real hard time thinking of who to add in this one.
Diddy and Dixie would be the transformation character using the Side Special Tag Barrel Toss, in which the Kong goes into a DK barrel, launches themself in a similar arc to the Monkey Flip, and the partner comes out on contact with a surface or enemy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, my 12-Man Roster was:
:4mario::4luigi::4dk::4link::4samus::4kirby:
:4marth::4pikachu::4olimar:(Isabelle)(Inkling):4rob:

So to add fourteen more...

:4yoshi::4peach::4bowser::4zelda::4ganondorf::4lucario::4mewtwo:
:4dedede::4villager::4fox::4littlemac:(Chrom):4pit::4shulk:

To flesh out some of the bigger series and introduce some new comes.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Original 12

:4mario::4dk::4yoshi::4pikachu::4kirby::4link::4samus: :4marth::4bowser::4villager:Rex+pyra, Inklings.

New comers

:4luigi::4fox::4diddy::4falcon::4pit::4lucario::4shulk::4ness::4metaknight::4dedede::4zelda:Ganon, Spring-man, Shovel Knight.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
To be fair, I only did the thread out of boredom LOL

Since I'll post my roster...

:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4kirby::4pikachu::4pit::4marth::4villager::4olimar::4wario: (Inklings)

Newcomers:

:4bowser::4peach::4luigi::4diddy:/Dixie :4ganondorf::sheilda::4yoshi::4dedede::4fox::4greninja::4charizard::4shulk::4littlemac:

This is the only reason as to why I'm not gonna participate in this challenge.
No offense, but this is a dumb rule.
...not even to post your idea of adding Crash? Bruh that's really lame

D

Deleted member

Alright, now that the no transformation rule is gone, I'm gonna give this a go.
My 12-man roster was:
:4mario::4bowser::4dk::4link::4samus::4marth:
:4kirby::4pikachu::4villager:(Inkling):4sonic:(Crash)

So I'll add:
:4luigi::4peach::4diddy::4zelda:(Pig Ganon):4mewtwo::4lucario:
:4dedede::4pit::4ness::4yoshi::4fox::4olimar::4shulk:

I wanted to inject some bias into this but I only had so much room for it. I settled for adding Ness because he's my boy
I had to reluctantly give up on both :4greninja: and :4metaknight: because they're not significant enough compared to series like Pikmin, Xenoblade or Kid Icarus.
I also wanted to add Captain Falcon and Little Mac but I only had so much room, so they're interchangeable with Ness and Pit respectively. I just have much more interest in their series.
I think I don't like this as much as my 12-man roster

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
My original 12 for reference (not counting the costumes, disregard those, they will be rethought for this one):
:4mario::4yoshi::4bowser::4link::4kirby::4pikachu:
:4samus::4olimar::4lucina::4villager::4shulk:(Inklings)

My 14 additions:
:4luigi::4peach::4dk::4wario::4zelda::4ganondorf::4greninja:
(Mimikyu) (Celica) (Elma) :4duckhunt::4pit::4fox::4sonic:

Costumes: :4marth: (for Lucina), :4alph: (for Olimar), :4darkpit: (for Pit), :4falco: (for Fox)
:4luigi::4peach::4dk::4wario::4zelda::4ganondorf:: Just like Melee expanded on Mario and Zelda, thought they should have a major number of newcomers, especially when Luigi was already an alt and DK and Wario almost got the spot that ended up for Yoshi in my 12-man roster. Luigi is the only true clone in this roster
:4greninja: (Mimikyu): Gen VI and VII reps, seems to be the most advertised from their respective gens
(Celica) (Elma): recent representatives from FE and Xenoblade
:4duckhunt::4pit:: retro(ish) reps
:4fox:: was between :4fox::4falcon::4ness: to bring back from SSB64. Since Fox had a game recently, I picked him
:4sonic:: Third party rep

:4mario::4yoshi::4bowser::4link::4kirby::4pikachu::4samus::4olimar::4lucina::4villager::4shulk:(Inklings):4peach:
:4dk::4zelda::4greninja:(Mimikyu) (Elma) :4pit::4fox::4luigi::4marth::4alph::4darkpit::4falco:(Donkey Kong Jr)

Clone list
:4luigi: = :4mario:
:4lucina: = :4marth:
:4alph: = :4olimar:
:4darkpit: = :4pit:
:4falco: = :4fox:
(DK Jr) = :4dk:

slambros

Smash Ace
My 12-character game (making it now):
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4kirby::4yoshi:
:4fox::4pikachu::4marth::4falcon::4ness::4pit:

My 14 additions to that:
:4peach::4bowser::4diddy::4zelda::4dedede::4charizard::4mewtwo:
:4olimar::4villager::4littlemac::4shulk:(Inklings) :4sonic::snake:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
My 12
:4mario::4bowser::4dk::4link::4kirby::4samus:
:4pikachu::4greninja::4olimar::4robinm::4shulk:Inklings

My 24
:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4samus:(Takamaru):4pit::4littlemac:
:4pikachu:(Infernape):4greninja:(Decidueye):4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4robinm::4olimar::4shulk:(Inklings)(Spring Man)

Ahh crap, it's 26. Well already did 24.

Here's 26!
:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4samus:(Takamaru):4pit::4littlemac::4duckhunt:
:4pikachu:(Infernape):4greninja:(Decidueye):4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4robinm::4olimar::4shulk::4villager:(Inklings)(Spring Man)

(Added Duck Hunt Dog for Retro and Villager for new series for the two needed to make 26. I forgot Villager's existence and Duck Hunt barely missed out on my 24 roster.)

Mario Franchise & Spinoffs-
Mario, Bowser, and Peach are the main characters.You got the hero, the villain, and the damsel. Peach before Luigi cause of how unique she ends up being and to help boost Nintendo's most recognized female.
Yoshi was left out of my original 12, but he ends up making the 24 since he is highly popular and has his own spin off.
Donkey Kong is obvious, Diddy joins as well however since the Donkey Kong series has been active and Diddy is his right hand man. Dixie could be placed as dual character with him, but I'll leave it as just Diddy cause she could be a stand alone character easily.
:4luigi: - Tough one to leave out, but he isn't as unique as the others. He could get by as a alternate costume for now. Sorry Luigi.
:rosalina::4bowserjr: - Not as important or recognizable as the others.

Sister Series & Punch Out
I always have been fond of the idea of having all four of the protagonists of the sister series to be together again in Smash. So, I'll take that route here. Link's obvious is the most successful, so he gains Zelda in addition bumping his series to 2. As another recently revived series, Little Mac also gets to step into the ring. If there was more room for space, LoZ, Metroid, and Kid Icarus would be considered for a 3rd or 2nd rep.
:4ganondorf: - Not enough room
:4palutena: - Not enough room, though she would be Pit's Zelda
:4zss: - Not enough room and not what she is known for anyways
:4sheik:- Relic of the past
:4darkpit: - Easy alt costume or recolor, nothing more

Pokemon
Haha, obviously the one I might ruffle some feathers with. But I am a firm believer of spreading the representation over generations instead of overdosing the roster on one generation. This would give us a 1st, 4th, 6th, and 7th generation rep with all of them sporting different types. I know I'm a supporter of Mewtwo and Mimikyu, but I couldn't pass up having each starter type represented over the course of the Generations. Infernape was the hardest choice, because Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Charizard are all big contenders for the fire spot as well. I just went for Infernape for a better design over Blaziken, more intersting typing over Thphlosion, and for a different generation over Charizard. Also Fire beats Grass beats Water, while Fighting beats Dark beats Ghost cancels out Fighting. So the whole typing war is covered there.
:4mewtwo: - The biggest loss. As a avid supporter for him to come back, this was a hard choice to leave out.
:4charizard: - Loss out to Infernape due to me wanting to cover many Generations
:4lucario: - Loses out due to the starter motif I went for.
:4jigglypuff: - Relic of the past

Kirby & Starfox
Both series have many games under their belt, but the limited space meant a more modest approach to them. Kirby gets two while rather successful, Fox gets himself for his series being struggling over the years.
:4metaknight: - Not enough room
:4falco: :wolf: - I'd pick Wolf over Falco, but the series is in too much struggle to stay floating to get a second rep with limited space.

Fire Emblem
Robin to offer more diversity with magic and the whole M/F aspect. Limited space on the roster and not knowing the newest lord leaves them with one character.
:4marth: - While he is the original, Robin would be more recognized going into this.
:4myfriends: - VERY popular Lord, but his popularity blossomed with Smash. I have bias for him as my one and only Lord of the series
:4corrin: Interesting moves, but they aren't relevant by the time the new game is finished or even that popular
:4lucina: - Not that unique or interesting even without Marth existing yet, Robin is better
:4feroy:- Without Smash, he would of been forgotten by now

New Series!!!
Pikmin is from Miyamoto himself and will be getting it's 4th game soon. I love the series and would have :4alph: as a costume for sure and possibly the new captain. Shulk for Xenoblade as it was very successful and growing, he stays in as a veteran. Inklings for Splatoon which while it is sitting at two game, it was very successful and offers the unique paint gun turf war mechanics. Arms was almost left out though, I actually had Duck Hunt Dog for a Retro until the end, but I decided that Spring Man deserves to tread onto into the ring as well. It also is kind of cool to have Little Mac and Spring Man together as the two underdog, newcomer fighters from an old era and the new one.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
12 Person Roster
Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus, Fox, Marth, Olimar, Villager, Shulk, Inkling, Sonic

Newcomers
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Bowser
Peach
Zelda
Ganondorf
Eevee
Mewtwo
Meta-Knight
King Dedede
Zero Suit Samus
Mii
Banjo & Kazooie

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Teeeechnically mine has 25 characters on it... Warriors would be next in line for addition so pretend he’s on there to fill it up.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
My 12

:4mario::4bowser::4dk::4link::4kirby::4samus:

:4pikachu::4greninja::4olimar::4robinm::4shulk:Inklings

My 24

:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4samus:(Takamaru):4pit::4littlemac:

:4pikachu:(Infernape):4greninja:(Decidueye):4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4robinm::4olimar::4shulk:(Inklings)(Spring Man)

Ahh crap, it's 26. Well already did 24.

Here's 26!

:4mario::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4samus:(Takamaru):4pit::4littlemac::4duckhunt:

:4pikachu:(Infernape):4greninja:(Decidueye):4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4robinm::4olimar::4shulk::4villager:(Inklings)(Spring Man)

(Added Duck Hunt Dog for Retro and Villager for new series for the two needed to make 26. I forgot Villager's existence and Duck Hunt barely missed out on my 24 roster.)

Mario Franchise & Spinoffs-

Mario, Bowser, and Peach are the main characters.You got the hero, the villain, and the damsel. Peach before Luigi cause of how unique she ends up being and to help boost Nintendo's most recognized female.

Yoshi was left out of my original 12, but he ends up making the 24 since he is highly popular and has his own spin off.

Donkey Kong is obvious, Diddy joins as well however since the Donkey Kong series has been active and Diddy is his right hand man. Dixie could be placed as dual character with him, but I'll leave it as just Diddy cause she could be a stand alone character easily.

:4luigi: - Tough one to leave out, but he isn't as unique as the others. He could get by as a alternate costume for now. Sorry Luigi.

:rosalina::4bowserjr: - Not as important or recognizable as the others.

Sister Series & Punch Out

I always have been fond of the idea of having all four of the protagonists of the sister series to be together again in Smash. So, I'll take that route here. Link's obvious is the most successful, so he gains Zelda in addition bumping his series to 2. As another recently revived series, Little Mac also gets to step into the ring. If there was more room for space, LoZ, Metroid, and Kid Icarus would be considered for a 3rd or 2nd rep.

:4ganondorf: - Not enough room

:4palutena: - Not enough room, though she would be Pit's Zelda

:4zss: - Not enough room and not what she is known for anyways

:4sheik:- Relic of the past

:4darkpit: - Easy alt costume or recolor, nothing more

Pokemon

Haha, obviously the one I might ruffle some feathers with. But I am a firm believer of spreading the representation over generations instead of overdosing the roster on one generation. This would give us a 1st, 4th, 6th, and 7th generation rep with all of them sporting different types. I know I'm a supporter of Mewtwo and Mimikyu, but I couldn't pass up having each starter type represented over the course of the Generations. Infernape was the hardest choice, because Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Charizard are all big contenders for the fire spot as well. I just went for Infernape for a better design over Blaziken, more intersting typing over Thphlosion, and for a different generation over Charizard. Also Fire beats Grass beats Water, while Fighting beats Dark beats Ghost cancels out Fighting. So the whole typing war is covered there.

:4mewtwo: - The biggest loss. As a avid supporter for him to come back, this was a hard choice to leave out.

:4charizard: - Loss out to Infernape due to me wanting to cover many Generations

:4lucario: - Loses out due to the starter motif I went for.

:4jigglypuff: - Relic of the past

Kirby & Starfox

Both series have many games under their belt, but the limited space meant a more modest approach to them. Kirby gets two while rather successful, Fox gets himself for his series being struggling over the years.

:4metaknight: - Not enough room

:4falco::wolf: - I'd pick Wolf over Falco, but the series is in too much struggle to stay floating to get a second rep with limited space.

Fire Emblem

Robin to offer more diversity with magic and the whole M/F aspect. Limited space on the roster and not knowing the newest lord leaves them with one character.

:4marth: - While he is the original, Robin would be more recognized going into this.

:4myfriends: - VERY popular Lord, but his popularity blossomed with Smash. I have bias for him as my one and only Lord of the series

:4corrin: Interesting moves, but they aren't relevant by the time the new game is finished or even that popular

:4lucina: - Not that unique or interesting even without Marth existing yet, Robin is better

:4feroy:- Without Smash, he would of been forgotten by now

New Series!!!

Pikmin is from Miyamoto himself and will be getting it's 4th game soon. I love the series and would have :4alph: as a costume for sure and possibly the new captain. Shulk for Xenoblade as it was very successful and growing, he stays in as a veteran. Inklings for Splatoon which while it is sitting at two game, it was very successful and offers the unique paint gun turf war mechanics. Arms was almost left out though, I actually had Duck Hunt Dog for a Retro until the end, but I decided that Spring Man deserves to tread onto into the ring as well. It also is kind of cool to have Little Mac and Spring Man together as the two underdog, newcomer fighters from an old era and the new one.
10+ points for adding Infernape.

Here's mine.

1. Mario(Main mascot of Nintendo and saved gaming)

2. Luigi(Mario's number 2)

3. Bowser(Mario's arch enemy)

4. Yoshi(has been in almost every game since World)

5. Donkey Kong(Important piece to Nintendo's History. The Original Donkey Kong started off Nintendo's success as a company )

6. Kirby(Sakurai's child and creation)

7. Meta Knight(Kirby's Main Rival other then Dedede and is plain cool)

8. Link(Second to Mario back in the days of the NES)

9. Zelda(Can't have the Triforce of Courage without the Triforce of Wisdom. Very important character to the Zelda series and is in the title of every game)

10. Ganondorf(You also can't have the Triforce of Wisdom without the Triforce of Power. Also, Main villain of Zelda)

11. Pikachu(Main mascot of Pokemon)

12. Infernape(Fire and fighting type representative. Also representing Gen 4. Not picking Charizard since I want to represent Pokemon from different Gens. Plus I already have planned Mewtwo for the second Kanto rep)

13. Greninja(Water and Dark type representative. Also representing Gen 6)

14. Decidueye(Grass and Ghost-type representative. Also representing Gen 7)

15. Mewtwo(Popular among fans. Also completes the type weakness charts. Psychic > Fighting > Dark > Ghost)

16. Samus(Has a important place in video games being the first female protanginist)

16 E. Dark Samus

17. Fox(Star Foxas had a game on almost every Nintendo console since the original Star Fox on the Super Nintendo)

18. Ness(His game didn't sell well but is a hidden gem and quite the dedicated fanbase over the year)

19. Captain Falcon(For the memes and competitive play)

20. Marth(Fire Emblem has blown up recently with popularity)

20 E. Chrom

21. Mr. Game and Watch(Nintendo's first time in Handheld gaming and MR. G&W is considered the mascot of the Game and Watch's)

22. Ice Climbers(Has been in every game since Melee and was only cut from Sm4sh due to 3DS constraints)

23. Chorus Kids(Rymth Heaven is very popular with a lot of people)

24. Shulk(Another gem on the Wii and has gained a huge fanbase)

25. Sonic(Nintendo's rival since the Genesis war but are now very close to Nintendo)

25 E. Shadow

26. Tails(Sonic's Number 2. We can also make Mario and Luigi Vs. Sonic and Tails officialy happen)

BONUS DLC(Characters that were pretty important but not too important to me to be in the main roster):

27. Duck Hunt(Also pretty important to Nintendo's History. Though Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers are a bit more loved then the dog and duck.)

28. Pac-Man(Namco helped develop Sm4sh and Ultimate so it'd make sense to include one of Namco's fighters. )

28 E. Ms. Pac-Man

29. Adeleine(Only human character from the Kirby series and her ability to bring paintings to live would make for a pretty unique fighter. Isn't the most popular Kirby character though so that's why she isn't in the Main roster)

30. Olimar(Pikmin is very popular and makes sense for the main character from the first game to be in. Was considering putting him in instead of Chorus Kids but I wanted to include more newcomers in the main roster)

30 E. Alph

31. Shantae(Queen of the Smash Ballot and would be a good way to represent Indie games)

32. King Dedede(Kirby's Main Rival since the first game. Didn't put him in the main Roster because he wasn't as cool as Meta Knight

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
If melee had more time

:ultwario::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultkrool::linkmelee::zeldamelee::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultsamus::ultridley::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultfox::ultwolf::ultmarth::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultness::ultvillager::ultolimar::ultmetaknight:

Again if they had to come before the GameCube, :ultolimar: is an advertisement for the new game
:ultdoc: Is a alt for :ultmario:

:ultzss: Is an alt for :ultsamus:, plays like the JB cheat code,

And no this game will not have a transformation character, :ultsheik: screwed things up by being in melee,

Oh and :ultganondorf: has his own moveset

Last edited:

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
Just did the 12-Man, so here's my 12.

:ultbowser::ultmario::ultlink::ultrobin
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultkirby:
:ultinkling::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultpikachu:

So then I need some unlockables.

:ultpeach::ultluigi: = Increase the Mario representation
:ultzelda::ultganondorf: = Increase Zelda representation
:ultridley:= Can never have enough villains
:ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: = Which is why Kirby gets two
:ulticeclimbers: = Yes, you can have an old school character
:ultgreninja: + :4charizard: + Decidueye = A fully evolved starter for each type (which could be traded out in "future" games)
Rex and Pyra = Xenoblade is definitely growing these days
Ribbon Girl = Marketing! (And I think she's more interesting than Spring Man, especially her stage)

In the end, the select screen would something like this:

:ultpeach::ultluigi::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Rex/Pyra)
:ultbowser::ultmario::ultlink::ultrobin:ultmetaknight:
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultkirby::ultkingdedede:
:ultinkling::ultvillager::ultsamus::ultpikachu::4charizard:
(Ribbon):ulticeclimbers::ultridley::ultgreninja:(Decidueye)

(I tried to line it up, I really did)

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
:ultbowser::ultmario::ultpeach:(Geno) / :ultlink::ultganondorf::ultzelda:(Skull Kid) / :ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:
:ultdk:(K. Rool) / :ultmarth::ultcorrin: / :ultkirby::ultkingdedede: / :ultfox::ultwolf: / :ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultolimar: / :ultinkling: / :ultvillager: / :ultness: / :ultduckhunt:

Geno over Luigi is a weird choice, but if I get to choose then that's who I'm choosing. Plus, the roster sort of lacks strong turn based RPG reps outside of Pokemon, and I wanted to diversify the characters a little bit.

For Zelda I went with who I thought the series most iconic characters were, though I'm not sure Skull Kid is entirely more iconic than Shiek or Toon Link, I think a strong case could be made and I wanted to up the roster's cast of villains.

3 reps for Pokemon is low considering the amount of potential picks their are, but thanks to the bargain of a character that is Pokemon Trainer, the franchise is technically the best represented in the game. It's a sadly Gen 1 heavy selection, but the truth is that Gen 1 easily stands as the most iconic Gen, and because of the nature of Pokemon, even new trainer's recognize these characters.

I struggled with not putting Diddy in, but I think the kind of rivalries that Ultimate's been hyping us up for are one of the most fun things to play out in Smash, so K. Rool it was.

Fire Emblem got a lot of cuts, I know, and I didn't even keep the magician, I know. This roster is actually fairly reserved in the amount of sword-wielding characters it has, so I thought it'd be worthwhile to keep the most basic one along with who I consider to be the most complex. Also functions as a nice way to represent the series long lifespan.

Cutting Metaknight sucks, but I wanted to preserve the game's roster of heavies as best I could, and unfortunately there's just not enough room to give many franchises more than 2 characters without feeling like I'm missing out somewhere else.

Again, trying to keep the villains as much as possible, sorry Falco.

This one's easy. I'd rather have Dark Samus over regular, but obviously that doesn't make much sense.

The last 5 were easier to pick than I thought they'd be. Though I'd maybe replace Duck Hunt for Yoshi. Since the turn of the century, Pikmin, Animal Crossing and Splatoon have been the only new Nintendo franchises to really take off in a significant way, making them easy inclusions. I toyed with Pit, Shulk and Captain Falcon but ultimately settled on Ness. The 'xeno' name is still a relatively new addition to Nintendo's lineup, and isn't as quintessentially Nintendo as something like Splatoon, Kid Icarus just hasn't seemed to take off as a franchises in quite the way Nintendo hoped for it, and F-Zero is unfortunately dead in the water. Plus, something just doesn't feel right about a Smash game without Ness, and we have Ganon for those who want to play a Falcon-esque character.

Duck Hunt is one of the best selling games of all time, sort of on a technicality, but regardless, it makes him an easy pick for the game's retro character if we need one.

Only thing I would maybe change is taking out someone for Wario, but Idunno who.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’ll think of this as if SSB didn’t exist, and here’s my rosters and reasons below, and I’ll describe what I’d do if this is a sequel to Ultimate.

My 12 character roster would be
Starter: :ultmario::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultlink::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultbyleth:
Unlockable in order: :ultluigi:Cinderace:ultdk::ultsamus:
Mario, Pokemon, LoZ, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, FE, and Kirby are major franchises today. Yoshi is a major side character in Mario with his own franchise. For FE, I went with Byleth since he is the most recent protagonist, and 3H was a successful game. For secret characters, Luigi is the player 2 of gaming, and Luigi‘s Mansion is a popular franchise, I assume that the Pokemon Company would want to promote Sword/Shield, and both the arcade game Donkey Kong and the series DKC are important historically. Samus is the only one I’m unsure of since Metroid is not a major franchise today, but Samus is one of the first mainstream playable female characters in gaming, which is an important enough feat.

26 character roster
Starter: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer: +:ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultlink::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultbyleth::ultshulk:Ring Fit Trainee,:ultmiifighters:
Unlockable in order: :ultpeach: Cinderace, :ultisabelle::ultsamus::ultbowser::ultolimar::ultzelda::ultfox:Ganon:ultsonic::ultness:

Bowser and Peach are core characters of Nintendo‘s flagship franchise. The Pokemon Company would want Charizard, and I want Pokemon Trainer, so my direction works as a compromise where Red/Leaf directs Charizard in the background. Zelda, Ganon, and Isabelle are major characters in other large franchises. Pikmin, Xenoblade, and Ring Fit Adventurer are still pretty relevant, and I went with Shulk since he seems easier to add than Pyra/Mythra. Miis are important as they are avatars, and Sonic would be a great addition as he’d be the first third party. Star Fox barely clings onto relevancy, but it’s been around for a long time. I want an obscure pick, and Ness is an interesting choice that could work. Lucario is filler for a roster for this size, but Pokemon is a major franchise, and it is popular, so why not.

If these games were sequels to Ultimate, then this is what the roster would look like:
12 characters
Starters: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Unlockable: :ultluigi::ultmarth::ultvillager::ultinkling:

Compared to the original roster I did, I replaced Cinderace with Fox since the Perfect Attendance Crew will never be cut at this point, and I replaced Byleth with Marth since Marth is sort of SSB’s interpretation of the Fire Emblem mascot at this point. I made Villager, Inkling, and the Fire Emblem character unlockable since I can’t see anyone from the Perfect Attendance Crew being unlockable.

26 Character Roster
Starter::ultmario::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer:+:ultcharizard::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultmiifighters:
Unlockable in order::ultzelda::ultbowser::ultluigi:Cinderace,:ultsonic::ulticeclimbers::ultshulk::ultfalcon:Ring Fit Trainee:ultness::ultjigglypuff:
If this is a sequel to Ultimate instead, Pit and Captain Falcon more or less have to be in since Pit is from a game made by Sakurai, and Falcon is a fan favorite. At the moment, I’ll cut Olimar and Ganon. In addition to these changes, I’d bring back Ice Climbers since they are my main, and I’ll tack on Jigglypuff just to fill out SSB64’s cast, and it’s super easy to develop anyway, so I’ll cut Isabelle and Lucario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom