• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's IT! In an effort to better ourselves and expand IC's Metagame..

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
as i was explaining to raging ric rohins last night sometimes the best way to improve your character is to simply drop everything that works so you can find new things - early sheik game involved ftilt locks and up smashes with a back air here and there - i rarely rarely rarely ftilt lock somebody (especially in a friendly) because it simply doesn't lead to anything productive aside from a POSSIBLE extra few percents... and I'd rather look good anyways hahahah
Although his post was referrring to his sheik, this is still applicable to ICs. I got the idea for this thread from his post and from a thread on the lucario boards I read a few monthes ago.

I see alot of "How do I chaingrab?" threads around here and honestly, it's really annoying.

Sooo... in an effort to better ourselves you guys should play matches...
without attempting
a
single
grab combo.
actually...
better yet....
don't even try to grab.

Don't even THINK about that little purple button.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it'll be really hard to not try to grab. but the purpose of this is to find something new for IC. Getting grabs is becoming harder and harder to do with players playing against IC more intelligently(and the increasing number of Metaknights. :( ). So our job is to find the next best thing. If we can't find anything better, then hell, at least it'll make our non-grab based game that much better.

So what's supposed to come of this?

better use of our OOS options OUTSIDE of grab(did you know you could buffer a turnaround OOS and desynch from it? :O )

better usage of our basic moveset.

More intelligent use of desynchs for pressuring, damage-dealing and (!!!!!)combos.(Did you know you can hitlag desynch from a Bair to Solo Nana Blizzard or an Ftilt to a SoPo(methinks)dash attack? You can also desynch from a double Utilt to a SoNa Utilt -> whatever.)

Baiting reactions from players that expect to get grabbed to be exploited(then when they don't expect to get grabbed, they get grabbed and the **** begins).

Anything new that comes of this should be posted here, to further IC's game.

I dunno. Maybe I'm expecting too much to come of this. Or maybe I'm just annoyed by the number of "how do I altgrab?" threads. I'd still like people to take part in this though.

How about it?

Miller

Smash Lord
Ive done this long ago
I made a nametag "Lol" and set Z to shield. I could still shieldgrab which is fine, but I didn't CG
Also, the best IC players have an advanced metagame because we know how to fight without CG's. Its everyone else's misconception that it isn't advancing because almost everyone isnt doing it right, while in reality it is. If IC weren't advancing, every other character would be much better then IC's and we wouldn't be able to keep up. It's actually advancing and at a quick rate to boot.

I dunno. Maybe I'm expecting too much to come of this. Or maybe I'm just annoyed by the number of "how do I altgrab?" threads. I'd still like people to take part in this though.
Yea, I fucking hate that too

chewyy

Smash Ace
I'll probably try it, that way I get less "The IC's chain grab is cheap/gay"

btw what does OOS stand for?
I can only think of "out of state"

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm actually better at using Ice Climbers when I don't have chain grabbing on my mind. I played some matches against one of my friends who's G&W usually beats me. I decided to not chain grab or desync at all, just for fun, when I would grab, I'd do a normal throw (which felt so strange to do with them xD) and I was 2 stocking him over and over :p

But yeah, people that don't know how to play without chain grabbing need to learn.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
this is EXACTLY what i've always said. the number of CG topics here really makes me feel like thats all people see/expect from them. forget actual gameplay, every new IC that comes here just gets overwhelmed with all of these people asking 'how do i do this CG' or 'i've found a new 0-Death CG without moving' and i have to wonder what they would be able to do without nana. i understand CGs are a big aspect of IC gameplay, but it feels like we've all forgotten its not the only part.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I already beat a Zelda without grabs, and I have the replay. XD

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I'll put it simply, if I get a grab in, that person stock is getting ***** no if's or buts about it. I actually find myself using those hammers more times than I care to admit. I even found new movements i'm screwing around with when it comes to desynch strategies. Never thought I would have alot of fun with these guys.

Oh, and yes chaingrab questions annoys me to no end. I gotta face that question almost everyday. That's why many IC players get owned, they grab too much. It's ok though, I'm working on something to end these questions (When I have the time of course :laugh:).

Nana is HAWT!! That is all ^_^.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
finally, a real thread on the IC boards

thank you for making this

(sheik boards are too good and are influencing other boards)

i was actually gonna come in here about a month after brawl's release and write up a VERY LONG guide on how to play ic's without the grabs (i did a 4,000 word one for melee ic's and helped the metagame a lot)

i was about 1700 words but my comp crashed when i was writing it, darn

would anyone like me to write it? (though my authority is probably not as high as millar's, hylians, void's, fly's or whatever, cuz i don't post here a lot...)

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero

i was actually gonna come in here about a month after brawl's release and write up a VERY LONG guide on how to play ic's without the grabs (i did a 4,000 word one for melee ic's and helped the metagame a lot)

would anyone like me to write it? (though my authority is probably not as high as millar's, hylians, void's, fly's or whatever, cuz i don't post here a lot...)
I'd say go for it. I'd do it myself but even though I was decently known on the IC Melee boards(my last SN was Speedsk8er), I'm still not very good. I have tons and tons of ideas(hell, I have tons of ideas for Melee IC too.) I'm just bad at application.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
oh wow you're speedsk8er? whats up dude hahaha
I'm thinking the same thing. xD

I compiled that huge desynch thread way back after Wobbles became inactive, but nobody really pays attention to it. There are very few desynchs that aren't in it (I believe everything related to desynchs in this thread so far is).

Rykard

Smash Ace
most other characters dont have as in depth a metagame as ice climbers. its just that we have seemd to focus on only one part of it.

btw the controller thing helps mad amounts so you should all try it :)

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
* In seven years....*

" CHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRABCHAINGRAB"
* Nana dies*

"..........O.o"

Let's advance the metagame, please. I have to try that out, that controller style too.

Miller

Smash Lord

Man, Id love if you made that, if you need any help, I think I have you on aim.

oh wow you're speedsk8er? whats up dude hahaha
haha I've known that for abit, i hovered over his myspace and it said spdsk8ter

yayyyy other character boards have brains
can't say the same for the ike boards =/

Our character is actually hard to play lol we have to have brains.
-Waits for scrubs to run in and say its easy-

Smasher89

Smash Lord
With wall stages, everyone knows of the grabrelease with both Popo and Nana, but when Nana´s gone you´ll have to do something else, dthrow to the wall, then start Dtilting for more additional damage.

Extremenerd

Smash Apprentice
I seem to play herder and smarter SoPo. Spacing suddenly gets better. You can actually powersheild effectively. Sheild pressuring is much easier. The only issue i have is recovery. can a SoPo auto sweetspot the ledge with belay? i get screwed every time trying to do it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
you have to be slightly under it

i got used to the spacing cuz did sopo belay stall in melee >_< lol

its easier in brawl, like about a body height or more under the ledge

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Has anyone found something like the uthrow>reverse fsmash in brawl?, should help in some situations I guess...

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
With wall stages, everyone knows of the grabrelease with both Popo and Nana, but when Nana´s gone you´ll have to do something else, dthrow to the wall, then start Dtilting for more additional damage.
Wait wait wait wait....

Dtilt lock? Desynched Dtilt Lock? Someone look into that.

I swear... if that's possible.... XD

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Desynched dtilt lock sounds like it should work, but feels waaay to situational to actually set up (even though you can literally do whateaver you want when you´ve grabbed the opponent). Might do some testing with it later though XD

Smasher89

Smash Lord
tried to use it against Metaknigt, and it only worked to like 45% somewere, could probably work a little better on other chars but just dtilting seems more reliable and better.

Top Bottom