• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon

KingDedede

Smash Rookie
I don't think the Lip's Stick being an item is anything to be afraid of. The example with Samus and the Screw Attack has already been mentioned, but if people are suggesting that Lip using her wand when the very same object is an item is impossible (ie. suggesting there is one and only one Lip's Stick), well wouldn't Mario holding said item at the same time as Link finding a Lip's Stick create some sort of impossible time paradox?

Still, even though they could get rid of her wand, I suspect they'd keep it on her, and that the Lip's Stick as an item was just kept for the continuity of the SSB series, as every item in SSB 64 made it to SSBM (the only exception is the Bumper, which was pseudo-replaced by the flipper with near identicle effects and rolls), I wouldn't be surprised if every item in SSBM made it to SSBB. Removing an item to make way for a character just doesn't seem necessary in my opinion ...

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I love you with tongue <3

I had an idea recently...instead of just having a stage based on, like, the overworld area from the VS mode, what if the stage were a playfield that had blocks rise/fall onto it? If you got hit by a falling block, you would take damage, and you could destroy blocks by attacking them a certain amount of times. But if the blocks reach all the way to the top of the screen, they shoot upwards and clear it (like when you lose in the game) which would take any people fighting on the stack along with it =D
Yeah that actually a good idea (^^)v...wait...would u also make garbage blocks appear by moving and clearing 4 or more blocks in a row????

Sinn

Smash Lord
Theoretically yes, but that then begs the question...how would the fighters specifically interact with the blocks?

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
About the puzzle action of the game... I think it's only supposed to signify what's going on in battles.

For example, notice that each character's puzzle blocks are different, depending on their respective elements - for example, Lip's are patterned with flowers. Therefore, I believe that garbage blocks are supposed to represent powerful elemental attacks during battles. And so, I think Lip WOULD fight primarily with plant-based attacks.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well the garbage blocks would...but then, the others would probably rise from the bottom, no? Though they did fall on the vs Continue screen...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
That would be sweet if her stage had diffrent color blocks, also she should summon her fariy friends as her final smash, she is queen of the faries after all.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I'll say it again - I think the blocks are just a symbol for the course of battle, and each character's personalized garbage blocks signify strong elemental attacks (for example, Lip's are decorated with flower patterns).

KingDedede

Smash Rookie
I'm sure many will agree that she defeats her foes with elemental attacks rather than literally dropping garbage blocks on them, but don't you think they would keep such a distinctive symbol of her series for at least one of her attacks or stage or other use? If she does not keep any aspect of her original series and simply has an assortment of random magic and elemental attacks, she'll hardly feel like the same character in my opinion.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I'm sure many will agree that she defeats her foes with elemental attacks rather than literally dropping garbage blocks on them, but don't you think they would keep such a distinctive symbol of her series for at least one of her attacks or stage or other use? If she does not keep any aspect of her original series and simply has an assortment of random magic and elemental attacks, she'll hardly feel like the same character in my opinion.
Captain Falcon?

KingDedede

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon?
If by that you mean "since Captain Falcon couldn't implement his most distinctive aspect of his games (racing) into his moveset, they chose to make a playable stage out of it (TWO even)" and apply it to Lip, where puzzle blocks can be used in her stage, then sure.

If for some reason you are suggesting Captain Falcon is the standard, and that most, if not all characters should have completely made-up movesets, regardless of whether signature moves or aspects of their game could fit into them, then I'm not so sure I agree. Even characters like Game and Watch and Fox were able to draw up attacks based on their games.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I can only picture the garbage blocks as a Final Smash.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The garbage blocks should work like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfCoEN1kKIM @ 1:27

Just replace Metool with Lip and the Giant Metool with a garbage block.

Of course they can throw in multiple garbage blocks of various sizes.
That would be over kill, own 3d!!! I do wish to see almost the same thing to the battle feild in Brawl, that would be awesome.

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
The puzzle game in Panel de Pon is a partial metaphor for actual battle, but for the most part, they actually are competing in a game. It's difficult to explain but the game makes this clear.

Garbage blocks are very integral part of Panel de Pon battles, and would definitely be in Lip's move set. Most logically, it would be her down b move. I imagine it would be similar to Pikachu's down b in the sense that it falls from above and would land on any platforms above her, and would have the effect of Kirby's stone. Her Final Smash could be like the enormous block rain that occurs when you build up several chains.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Know what would be GREAT that I don't see them doing either? If when you used her final smash and giant blocks rained down if the stage music turned into a "crisis" version of it like it always would in the actual game. Or at least it changed to her own stage's.

Speaking of which, I love her stage theme. I'm still pissed I can't legally unlock it in my version of Planet Puzzle League...

NukeA6

Smash Master
Know what would be GREAT that I don't see them doing either? If when you used her final smash and giant blocks rained down if the stage music turned into a "crisis" version of it like it always would in the actual game. Or at least it changed to her own stage's.

Speaking of which, I love her stage theme. I'm still pissed I can't legally unlock it in my version of Planet Puzzle League...
The crisis version of her stage music would only exist on Time mode (when time is running out). It's just the same as the Super Mario Bros stage and Sub-Con.

Triple_Factorial

Smash Apprentice
The crisis version of her stage music would only exist on Time mode (when time is running out). It's just the same as the Super Mario Bros stage and Sub-Con.
Let's not forget Sudden Death, which I think can happen in any VS mode (I haven't tried to do it in Coin or Bonus, but I accidentially did it in Stock once).

NukeA6

Smash Master
I found this in a GameFAQS thread:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn009.html
-A person makes a list of suggestions, only one of which Sakurai acknowledges. They say they want more female characters like Lip from Panel de Pon put in the game. Sakurai says he thinks Panel de Pon is a great masterpiece. Then he says some stuff which I'm not really sure of the meaning.
-Sakurai also comments on how Balloon Fighter and Ice Climbers tied in the poll. I wonder whom he will pick...

Sinn

Smash Lord
Let's not forget Sudden Death, which I think can happen in any VS mode (I haven't tried to do it in Coin or Bonus, but I accidentially did it in Stock once).
I don't think I've ever gotten SD in stock O_O Interesting idea on the music. Though they could still change the music DURING her final smash the same way that they do to the music when a character grabs a hammer or a starman.

As unknown as Lip seems to be to a lot of people, she really does have a lot going for her if the creator of the game likes her so much.

And we're not just the local Lip thread. We are THE Lip thread of the world.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Lip is probably going to be a secret for a loooong time =c

Though I mean, think about it...I think currently popular Japanese characters are a great idea. Everyone loved Marth and Roy, after all. Just because we've never seen it before doesn't mean we won't like it.

Ralph_Marquee

Smash Journeyman
Why is Sakurai tesing us?! Just give us Lip already!!!
Lip 4 Brawl!!!

Lip is probably going to be a secret for a loooong time =c

Though I mean, think about it...I think currently popular Japanese characters are a great idea. Everyone loved Marth and Roy, after all. Just because we've never seen it before doesn't mean we won't like it.
Exactly right. I like alot of Japan Only characters. Lip, Takamaru and Sukapon are a few.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I like Panel De Pon better than Tetris Attack, can anyone find Panel De Pon for GameCube? I neverd played it yet with it being hard to find and all.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Stafy before Lip, are you serious!?! That starfish don't have a chance compared to Lip in Japan only titles to reach the US.

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
In related news, Panel de Pon comes out in November on the Virtual Console. November would seem to be a good month to reveal Lip in Brawl. Not that I expect it to happen, but it would be a good time nonetheless.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
In related news, Panel de Pon comes out in November on the Virtual Console. November would seem to be a good month to reveal her. Not that I expect it to happen, but it would be a good time nonetheless.
When did you find this out, you gave me a heart attack!!! I love that game.

KingDedede

Smash Rookie
Cool. Is there any possibility that Nintendo can release this game outside of Japan with the "import" tag on it, as they have just recently started doing with other games on VC?

Top Bottom