• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The world needs more Lip and we will lead the charge <3

Well, specifically the US, but the rest of the world could use more too.
We do, I just played the gamecube verson, that was the best one, but I like the original one with the original characters like Lip.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Lip NEEDS to be in Brawl. Out of the prospective Japan-only characters, Stafy and Lip are right there at the top.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Bah, Sonic was SO likely to be in though. I called him as soon as they announced Snake. Though I do hope you're right about Lip being the most likely Japanese only...what about that one Takamura guy...?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
That is a great question, Takamura the samurai is no ordary swords person like Link and Ike is, but we do need more mystical character that are human shaped. An unpredictable type of character, Lip fits the bill greatly.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You make a great point, I hope that Sakurai has a heart for this fairy girls talent.

Sinn

Smash Lord
The game doesn't actually have anything to do with Tetris...they just changed the name when they first brought the game to America because they are strange people.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
Hope Lip finally makes the cut into a SSB game. She deserves it after they use her lipstick as an item.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Can Someone Take Lip Out The Brawl Graveyard, She Is Going To Be Playable!!!!!!!!

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Lip = young girl.

Young girl in fighting game = No.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Lip = young girl.

Young girl in fighting game = No.
Lip is looks young. Play the game if you can get it in japan, and young people can get in anyway. Kirby is the prime example, Ness is to.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Please explain your logic~
I think it's fairly simple. Lip, even if she isn't young, has the physical appearance of a very young girl, even though Smash Bros is entirely satirical, it'd still mean the young girl getting the tar beat out of her. Which is just something you don't do in games.

If you need an example, Ayane/Kasumi/Kokoro from DOA series are all under 18, and, aside from the uh.. 'nature' of the game, there's violence, thus in the PAL/NA versions of the game thier ages are stated as N/A. The reason they didn't remove/not put them in, is as they are the main characters of the storyline. Lip is in no way relevant to the Smash Bros story from what I've seen thus far, ergo it wouldn't hurt the game at all if she wasn't in.

An AT of Lip could be good.. but as a playable? No, in my opinion.

Lip is looks young. Play the game if you can get it in japan, and young people can get in anyway. Kirby is the prime example, Ness is to.
Kirby isn't a humanoid, but I'm stumped when it comes to Ness/Lucas. As they are both 10 year olds. So.. who knows. I still can't see Lip getting in. Not saying she WON'T be, but whatever.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I just hope they put fariy girl in, she needs to because panel De Pon was one of the greatest puzzle games of all time.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Who is Lip?
I'm glad you asked, but how could you not know. She was the main character in Panel De Pon and she had to save her world by defeating them in a puzzle game. Latter she became queen of the fariys and her daughter was on the GC one.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm glad you asked, but how could you not know. She was the main character in Panel De Pon and she had to save her world by defeating them in a puzzle game. Latter she became queen of the fariys and her daughter was on the GC one.
I see, the game play was the same as Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League but a diffrent stroyline. My friends say that Panel De Pon stroy line was a lot better than those two but why didn't Nintendo put Panel De Pon in the US yet?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I see, the game play was the same as Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League but a diffrent stroyline. My friends say that Panel De Pon stroy line was a lot better than those two but why didn't Nintendo put Panel De Pon in the US yet?
I'm thinking because they thought it was too girly in the US, or they are just stupied. They can't tell if the character is sweet or icy yet. Lip has hints of being in Brawl, well just two but you know about her Flower Wond and Kirby turning to one of her garbage blocks. The information is clear enough to see she has a high chance to be a PC even if her flower wond is back as an item.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm thinking because they thought it was too girly in the US, or they are just stupied. They can't tell if the character is sweet or icy yet. Lip has hints of being in Brawl, well just two but you know about her Flower Wond and Kirby turning to one of her garbage blocks. The information is clear enough to see she has a high chance to be a PC even if her flower wond is back as an item.
That makes since, Samus uses her Screw Attack and it's an item so why not Lip, I will support Lip as well.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
About this whole 'she's too young' business...

If you recall, Lip has a DAUGHTER at some point in the PdP story. Therefore, if Sakurai feels like making a somewhat older version of Lip, let's say, for example, around Pit's age, then we're good to go.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Just because Lip is a little girl, that means that she's a bad choice? Well then I suppose that Sailor Moon should never have been put on the air what with Chibi Moon getting the snot beat out of her on several occasions.

NukeA6

Smash Master
For all I know, Lip could be the same age as Ness (who's 12 years old).

Stop acting like this is Mortal Kombat. We're not playing a game where you will rip a little girl's head off (and I wouldn't dare to).

BTW, you do realize no character really dies in SSB, right? No one bleeds either. If they added the worthless Pichu, I see no problem with Lip.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, with Lip, Ashley, and that baloon fighter girl, there seems to be a few possibilites that we may have a little girl PC in brawl. It would be amusing, I can totally picture a team match where one team is, say, Ashley and Bowser. Pretty funny stuff.

Sinn

Smash Lord
There was a female Balloon Fighter? Huh. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Lip will pwn. That is all.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well, considering that Lips has more current character designs than Pit, they might not need to. But if so, I wonder what they would change...?

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I'm a big fan of Panel de Pon, and I created this topic way back when, but I'm not so sure Lip will make the cut, here's why I think so.

Sakurai stated awhile ago that he doesn't want to create too much emphasis on Japan-only characters, and he's already added a playable character from Earthbound only seen in Japan, and an assist trophy that is Japan-only as well. I think it's a stretch in their eyes to add another Japan-only character. A lot of people have no idea who Lip is (sadly.)

And I know that Samus' screw attack is an item and Samus can also perform it on her own, but this is completely different than Lip's sake. Samus can perform the screw attack without the help of the item, as she knows the move, but with Lip's stick, Lip actually uses the item in itself, how could she use the item and use her very own Lip's stick as a move at the same time? It just doesn't work in my mind. If Lip is a playable fighter, she NEEDS her wand, as that puzzle game doesn't offer her much for a moveset.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Don't for get about Fox and Captian Falcon, Sakurai made they move set without some help of they past games, they could do the same for Lip.

Zoo-bellocks

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai stated awhile ago that he doesn't want to create too much emphasis on Japan-only characters, and he's already added a playable character from Earthbound only seen in Japan, and an assist trophy that is Japan-only as well. I think it's a stretch in their eyes to add another Japan-only character. A lot of people have no idea who Lip is (sadly.)
Not that this really matters much, but there aren't any Japan only ATs yet. If you mean Devil, his game was released in Europe.

Even if Lip herself isn't known around the world, her series definitely is. Panel de Pon/Puzzle League rivals Dr. Mario in terms of Nintendo's best selling puzzle franchise (well, those are basically the only 2, but they're still popular). Among Japan-only characters, Lip is certainly one of the more prominent ones. Look at the official Panel de Pon website (http://www.intsys.co.jp/game/panepon/). It updated for 10 years, receiving tons of fan art and other things. Even the comments section still has a good amount of activity. Sakurai also stated that adding only popular characters doesn't excite him anyway.

And I know that Samus' screw attack is an item and Samus can also perform it on her own, but this is completely different than Lip's sake. Samus can perform the screw attack without the help of the item, as she knows the move, but with Lip's stick, Lip actually uses the item in itself, how could she use the item and use her very own Lip's stick as a move at the same time? It just doesn't work in my mind. If Lip is a playable fighter, she NEEDS her wand, as that puzzle game doesn't offer her much for a moveset.
Actually, Samus needs to gain the screw attack item before she can perform the move.

Not to sound rude, are you sure you actually played Panel de Pon? The Lip's stick doesn't actually do anything. It's for storyline purposes only. In the game's story, it protected her from the magic rain that brainwashed her friends. However...

SPOILERS

If you beat the game on Super Hard without continues, you find out the whole thing was staged by Lip's mother to test her abilities, which essentially made her stick pointless.

The whole making people sprout flowers from their heads thing was invented solely for Smash Bros. As far as a moveset is concerned, she could do plenty, even without the Lip's stick. For her specials, she could use her Watabou as a recovery move, drop garbage blocks, and shoot out flowers. I don't think giving her her wand would be much of an issue anyway. It's not like it's some kind of one-of-a-kind item. We can presume that even in the world of Popples, more of these wands exist. If she had it, she would probably only use it for a few of her attacks (as in, when she actually hits people with it). Maybe only her smash attacks would cause the flowers to sprout.

As for Lip's popularity, she has her fair share of support. In the poll from way, way back when Sakurai asked fans which characters they'd like to see in Smash Bros. 2, Lip got second place in the "Other Famicom/Super Famicom characters" category, losing to Sukapon. She beat out Pit and Ice Climbers, who did make it.

(http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult3.html)

As well, in the questionnaire, a fan tells Sakurai they'd like to see more female characters like Lip in Smash. Sakurai responds that he personally thinks Panel de Pon is a masterpiece, but conversely, he hypothetically asks how well known she is. It at least shows Sakurai has a soft spot for Panel de Pon.

(http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn009.html)

And of course, more recently, Lip was mentioned in Sakurai's suggestion compilation twice. I know that it doesn't seem to mean that much, and many characters were mentioned more than once. However, the people who suggested Lip ONLY suggested Lip (well, in the second case, it was Lip and Furil) and gave extensive reasons why she should be in. Apparently it grabbed Sakurai's attention. Most of the characters who got multiple mentions were part of longer lists of someone suggesting multiple characters.

Another thing to ponder is the fact that Lip just suddenly reappeared recently in Panel de Pon DS. I think the fact that she mysteriously pops up in the same year Brawl was supposed to be released bodes well.

So anyway, Lip for Brawl!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Nice forceful point, Sakurai has a lot to hide, I hope Lip is reveled as a PC hidden or not.

Stado

Smash Apprentice
Thought I'd pop in over here and also show my support for Lip. Her chances of making it in are actually fairly high compared to most (which is not to say she even has a 50% chance). And while she's not as cool as Ashley, heres hoping we get two little girls to play with in Brawl, not just one! (And we'd better at least get one, Sakurai...)

Sinn

Smash Lord
Not that this really matters much, but there aren't any Japan only ATs yet. If you mean Devil, his game was released in Europe.

Even if Lip herself isn't known around the world, her series definitely is. Panel de Pon/Puzzle League rivals Dr. Mario in terms of Nintendo's best selling puzzle franchise (well, those are basically the only 2, but they're still popular). Among Japan-only characters, Lip is certainly one of the more prominent ones. Look at the official Panel de Pon website (http://www.intsys.co.jp/game/panepon/). It updated for 10 years, receiving tons of fan art and other things. Even the comments section still has a good amount of activity. Sakurai also stated that adding only popular characters doesn't excite him anyway.

Actually, Samus needs to gain the screw attack item before she can perform the move.

Not to sound rude, are you sure you actually played Panel de Pon? The Lip's stick doesn't actually do anything. It's for storyline purposes only. In the game's story, it protected her from the magic rain that brainwashed her friends. However...

SPOILERS

If you beat the game on Super Hard without continues, you find out the whole thing was staged by Lip's mother to test her abilities, which essentially made her stick pointless.

The whole making people sprout flowers from their heads thing was invented solely for Smash Bros. As far as a moveset is concerned, she could do plenty, even without the Lip's stick. For her specials, she could use her Watabou as a recovery move, drop garbage blocks, and shoot out flowers. I don't think giving her her wand would be much of an issue anyway. It's not like it's some kind of one-of-a-kind item. We can presume that even in the world of Popples, more of these wands exist. If she had it, she would probably only use it for a few of her attacks (as in, when she actually hits people with it). Maybe only her smash attacks would cause the flowers to sprout.

As for Lip's popularity, she has her fair share of support. In the poll from way, way back when Sakurai asked fans which characters they'd like to see in Smash Bros. 2, Lip got second place in the "Other Famicom/Super Famicom characters" category, losing to Sukapon. She beat out Pit and Ice Climbers, who did make it.

(http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult3.html)

As well, in the questionnaire, a fan tells Sakurai they'd like to see more female characters like Lip in Smash. Sakurai responds that he personally thinks Panel de Pon is a masterpiece, but conversely, he hypothetically asks how well known she is. It at least shows Sakurai has a soft spot for Panel de Pon.

(http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn009.html)

And of course, more recently, Lip was mentioned in Sakurai's suggestion compilation twice. I know that it doesn't seem to mean that much, and many characters were mentioned more than once. However, the people who suggested Lip ONLY suggested Lip (well, in the second case, it was Lip and Furil) and gave extensive reasons why she should be in. Apparently it grabbed Sakurai's attention. Most of the characters who got multiple mentions were part of longer lists of someone suggesting multiple characters.

Another thing to ponder is the fact that Lip just suddenly reappeared recently in Panel de Pon DS. I think the fact that she mysteriously pops up in the same year Brawl was supposed to be released bodes well.

So anyway, Lip for Brawl!
I love you with tongue <3

If Lip is in the game...what would her stage be like????
I had an idea recently...instead of just having a stage based on, like, the overworld area from the VS mode, what if the stage were a playfield that had blocks rise/fall onto it? If you got hit by a falling block, you would take damage, and you could destroy blocks by attacking them a certain amount of times. But if the blocks reach all the way to the top of the screen, they shoot upwards and clear it (like when you lose in the game) which would take any people fighting on the stack along with it =D

Top Bottom