• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tell the truth........

AfroThunderRule

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever messed up a PKT recovery?

Like the PKT missed Ness completely or something. <.<

Also, I'm not talking about getting gimped...

To answer my question, yes but rarely. <.<

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Everyone makes mistakes... you can't just automatically be awesome with PK Thunder. Practice practice practice x100000000000

Levitas

the moon
I still screw up a LOT. That's the downside of having to remember the differences between 4 PKTs that I use about as often as each other.

ATM, I'm best w/ Lucas's PKT, then melee Ness's, then 64 Ness's, then brawl Ness's. I'm at somewhere around 90% accurate (brawl ness) for a max length recovery to the edge from all directions except more than a 60 degree down from the horizontal or completely vertical directions. The fact that I have played a lot means that I've screwed up a lot, but usually Ness's recovery success is determined by what happens before the PKT anyways.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
We've all screwed up on PKT recovery. Like xoxokev said it takes tons of practice to learn. I miss a few on rare occasion, whether it be my finger slipping, having a momentary lapse of thought, or hesitating to something I shouldn't have.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I seem fairly accurate using it to reach the leadge from all angles. I even seem to launch myself vertically up (as in straight) while being so low my PKT falls offscreen a bit. I'd probably just say that I'm extremely lucky with it, because it only happens in tournament when I need it, I focus too much and mess it up heaps in practice.

I only really miss myself on occasion when I have to navigate around annoying *** platforms like the ghosts in Yoshi's island, or just my enemy/teammate.

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408
its not so hard to NOT miss... but everyone does once in a while... the tricky part is also getting ness to go in the direction u want

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
Yea we all do make mistakes, and when first starting to play ness (whether it be 64, melee or brawl) it was more frequent.
I know I personally have a nack for it, but as someone else said occasionally I'll zone out, and ill send my pkt in the opposite direction I need to. Yea, weird, i know.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Yeah, we've all messed it up once in awhile. I'll mess it up once in awhile.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think using Ness a bit in SSB64 kind of gave me the upper hand of using PKT2 in Melee. However, in both games, they didn't want you to miss in the first place. In both games, his PKT was kind of bound by a 360 movement. In Brawl it's loose, so it gives Ness more of an advantage of making full circles around opponents nearby, though it's hard to pull off. I never missed using PKT except on wifi.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
Truthfully how many Ness players haven't Missed. I mess up all the times when i am using the recovery, about 3, 4 time every stock so about 9 times a match and i play ness about 15 time every session i play smash. sssssooooooooo i mess up a lot no matter what to cause its just i'm getting slightly better with every time i mess up.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I mess up often.

Then again, WiFi is bad and it's the reason why my PKT is bad.

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've screwed up on Wifi too
but if I screw up offline it's usually because I was just playing as Lucas got used to his then screw up Ness's, even though that doesn't happen that much anymore

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Do screw-ups on Lagfi count? Cuz....... Ya know.
Other screw-ups involve PKT2ing against the edge of Battlefield/Yoshi's Island and bouncing off of it. >.<

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I've actually had my thumb slip off the analog stick while recovering in tourney matches on multiple occasions. When I don't slip though I'm near-flawless with the recovery.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
The thing that bothers me is that I was *godly* with 64 PK Thunder when SSB64 was the only one.
And it only took me a few months of play. I could recover from anywhere. If I was on the map, I came back.

But still with this Brawl PKT... I miss. Randomly shoot myself down instead of up. The worst thing is I don't even see it coming. I don't know I screwed up until I miss.

To learn this move, I've had to swear off Lucas even though I have quite a lot of interest in him. I just can't handle both Thunders at once.

I'm completely happy with my PKT1 control, though. ... which is a strange paradox.

Uffe

Smash Hero
With Lucas, I've pretty much went around him and the thunder would just fly upward. His PKT is too slow for me.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I rarely ever mess up a basic PKT recovery, but I often mix things up a bit and get creative with my recovery but doing a downwards angled PKT2 or some kind of mindgames in which I can easily mess up on.

But still, there is the occasion I will mess up. Im pretty sure everyone (maybe even Simna) messes up on recovery sometimes.

I'm very good with recovering with Lucas' PKT also. I can handle both and only mess up once or twice.

After playing Brawl, I refuse to go back to Melee or 64 mainly because I cannot recover anymore.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
haha wow i mess up like alllllll the time

mainly because i get flown off the screen and then i cant see where im shooting

second i forget i used both my jumps and before i relize that i dont got any more jump im dead haha

Uffe

Smash Hero
After playing Brawl, I refuse to go back to Melee or 64 mainly because I cannot recover anymore.
Both 64 and Melees PKT feel awkward.

Fun Facts about PK Thunder

64:

In SSB64 Ness' PK Thunder seemed to have covered a wide range whenever he returned. It was also a bit hard to control. PK Thunder also lasts longer than it does in Melee and Brawl. Another thing about Ness' PK Thunder is when he used PK Thunder 2, he was able to fly through platforms. The pros about PKT2 is that Ness flies very far! The cons, which is probably just one thing, it doesn't kill opponents early on.

Melee:

In SSBM, Ness' PKT had to make a full circular turn in order to go vertical as well as horizontal. Of course starting up PKT, it'd go vertical in the first place. It's not as hard to control as it was in 64, but it doesn't last very long, either, which can make that PKT a pain to use since it has to make some strange turns. The thing about PKT in Melee is whenever you used it to recover, the camera would make it feel awkward.

In Melee, Ness is unable to fly through platforms from above while using PKT2. Like 64's, PKT2 isn't very powerful like it is in Brawl.

Brawl:

With the introduction of Lucas, players found his control over PKT to be far easier than Ness'. Unlike Lucas', Ness' PKT is quick, great for juggling and can lead into some unpredictable situations. In Brawl, Ness' PKT is easier to control, but can cause him to fall into oblivion if not used correctly since it doesn't have that circular turning. In fact, things you could do in 64 and Melee with Ness' PKT2 are also a lot easier to pull off.

Of course, again, Ness can't fly through platforms from above with PKT2, but it's very lethal.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
lol i know the differences. I made the PKT guide with Simna. PKT2 in 64 was also much longer with no sweetspot. the whole PKT2 had the samea high knockback. Melee had a powerful sweetspot at point blank just as Brawl did, but weaker. Brawl's point blank area is larger than Melee. Melee PKT panned out the camera so you could see it. PKT2 in 64 had little to no lag, and Melee had TONS. Brawl has little which is cancellable. Melee and 64's PKT2 kept going no matter what, but in Brawl, if you hit something, it decreses in distance. Brawl's PKT2 cannot slide up the right walls of stages very far, and this was not a problem in the previous games.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
:laugh: I remember when I first pulled off PKT2 in 64, I thought I was something special. I think that moment was when I wanted to main Ness... :ness:

I can handle Lucas'/Ness' near flawlessly, by which I mean I don't get the two timings confused. Lagfi and a painfully short attention span still mess me up on occasion, though.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Vertical Recoveries kill me in all games except 64. 64 is definitely (to aim, not sweetspot) the easiest then Lucas in brawl.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Eh... I have like a 50% success rate of perfect verticals. And it's lowered to 0% on Wifi.

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408
i just remembered something very unusual that happened to me once where instead of a circular motion, the pkt did an S motion and kept flying off lol. my thumb was rotating the stick perfectly too. im not sure if it was a glitch or what XD

scottko

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScottKo
3DS FC
0731-4752-6629
I screw up the odd time offline for whatever reason, usually my thumb slipping because I have really sweaty hands (and I mean -very- sweaty)
And it depends whch way I'm attempting to recover as well
as for online, I'm still not all that bad at it, obviously I'm going to screw it up more than offline but I've gotten pretty used to playing on wifi
And to anybody who's said they have never mesed it up, your lying

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
i just remembered something very unusual that happened to me once where instead of a circular motion, the pkt did an S motion and kept flying off lol. my thumb was rotating the stick perfectly too. im not sure if it was a glitch or what XD
You probably rotated the stick too fast.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
I messed up in the beginning of Melee. After that, I only mess up in Melee when I try to pull off something more complex than the regular recovery. For some reason, I was able to pull off vertical recoveries consistently or aim towards the ledge accurately. However, I can't reproduce the effect at will.

In Brawl, I really only mess it up in Wifi, coming right out of Wifi, or experimenting. It is by far easier to pull PKT2 off and in fact, I go offstage to do this at times :0. I'm too PKT2 happy in this game.

Top Bottom