• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Kinda like what happened with Charizard and Greninja? And Robin and Lucina? Yeah that could work. I have an idea for a double reveal trailer for Waluigi and Daisy playing Tennis to get into Smash. Daisy wins, but Waluigi rejects the second-place prize of an Assist Trophy and makes a sneak attack on Daisy on a Smash stage. The trailer then showcase gameplay clips of Waluigi and Daisy's special moves.

As for Krystal and Wolf, the trailer could start with Fox and Falco fighting Samus and Captain Falcon. And then, a Wolfen appears and fires on the fighters, blowing away Cap and Samus. He keeps firing on Fox and Falco who dodges his lasers until Wolf jumps out of the ship to fight them personally. Wolf then knocks out Falco leaving Fox to call for backup. Then Krystal comes out of an Arwing to save Fox and use a Smash attack on Wolf. Then the trailer would showcase gameplay of Krystal with a few clips of Wolf.
These sound like some great ideas. In my opinion the double reveal trailers for Smash 4 were my favourite especially the Robin and Lucina one as they felt very unexpected and I love the little interactions occurring between the characters. If they have a few more of these for the Switch game during E3 or before/after then I can imagine many people including myself will be very happy especially with the potential for the number of different characters/series this could be used for. How they'd do this for the Star Fox series I dont know but I feel it would have the potential to be one of the best and most exciting trailers of the series yet.

mortal1385

Smash Rookie
So this could mean nothing, but quite a few people have included Krystal in their roster predictions and speculation on Reddit this time, moreso than in the 3DS/Wii U and Smash Ballot eras. While it doesn't really say anything about her chances of getting into Smash, perhaps the community (outside of the people in the RTC thread) is finally warming up to the idea of having Krystal in Smash? Like I said, it could mean nothing but I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So this could mean nothing, but quite a few people have included Krystal in their roster predictions and speculation on Reddit this time, moreso than in the 3DS/Wii U and Smash Ballot eras. While it doesn't really say anything about her chances of getting into Smash, perhaps the community (outside of the people in the RTC thread) is finally warming up to the idea of having Krystal in Smash? Like I said, it could mean nothing but I found it interesting and thought I'd share.
I think it's people

A. Being hopeful for Ballot choices
B. Wanting a chocolate frosty apology cake for Wolf getting cut.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Why was Wolf cut anyway? He was more different from Fox than Falco and Smash 4 had Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as a clone group. He shouldn't be complicated for the 3DS to handle as the Ice Climbers and Pokémon Trainer, and Nintendo owns Star Fox and Fox and Falco were still in the game. So why did they remove a major villain? If they bring Krystal in, they better get Wolf back.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Why was Wolf cut anyway? He was more different from Fox than Falco and Smash 4 had Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as a clone group. He shouldn't be complicated for the 3DS to handle as the Ice Climbers and Pokémon Trainer, and Nintendo owns Star Fox and Fox and Falco were still in the game. So why did they remove a major villain? If they bring Krystal in, they better get Wolf back.
If I had to take a guess? Low priority.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I could not answer that question. If I remember correctly, wasn't Wolf a "last-minute" addition to Brawl? I mean we kind of had to go out of our way to unlock him in Brawl unlike most other characters (apart from, I think, Jigglypuff). I'm not saying that to demean Wolf (because I want him back as well), but I can't help but wonder if that has anything with him being cut from Sm4sh. I could be totally wrong here (I don't have the Brawl "happenings" committed to memory like I used to).

If I had to take a guess? Low priority.
Basically this. It's a much more concise version of what I was implying above.

I think it's people

A. Being hopeful for Ballot choices
B. Wanting a chocolate frosty apology cake for Wolf getting cut.
I would like to be hopeful about the ballot as well, but I can't help but feel like there's more potential candidates from fresh IPs or sequels this time than compared to the Sm4sh era. This is in addition to Nintendo's increased 3rd party support and even the potential of Indie games.

Although it is interesting to note how it seems less people are hostile towards the idea of Krystal in Smash. The difference is even more stark when you compare this era to the Brawl era. Then again, I haven't been looking into roster opinions all too much this time, so what do I know?

Another way to frame this: reduced hostility may not necessarily be a sign of increased support. It's a tough call. I mean some people may have their eyes set on newer or different characters from games they've either played or seen more recently. In other words, characters like Krystal could potentially fade away from their concern. It probably depends on how much they have supported these characters or the idea of them being in Smash in the past.

Take me for example: I would prefer Nia from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 getting in Smash over Krystal if it were a choice. This is much different compared to the Sm4sh era, where Krystal was my #1 most wanted bar none. However, Rex/Pyra is kind of the (a bit disappointing IMO--would prefer Pyra solo) obvious choice from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so I already know/feel like Nia's chances are next-to-nothing. In this case, I still heavily support Krystal because of how much I supported her in the past--my reasons haven't changed. But in another case, someone who only moderately supported a character like Krystal may be more easily swayed by newer characters, thus keeping Krystal in that more-or-less "irrelevant" category perpetually each new Smash (unless something totally unexpected happens with the Star Fox series to bring her back in the focus). This is only purely hypothetical, of course.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
What the others said. They simply ran out of time and Wolf was too different from Fox to be a last minute addition. When Sakurai rolls out his list of newcomers and begins adding them in along with the Links and the Marios, sometimes other deserving characters get swept up in the dust. Take Mewtwo for example. Mewtwo was an all original character who is only the most popular legendary of the multi-billion dollar juggernaut that's Pokemon. Well, he missed the roster outright in Brawl and the base in Wii U/3DS due to time constraints. Wolf's situation is similar, but a little different. Bayonetta won the ballot and Wolf wasn't among the most requested veterans in Japan at the time DLC was being considered (Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy were all ahead of him believe it or not). As a result, he missed Smash 4. These things happen, but Wolf still has a chance to come back. I already thought he was going to be in last time and now he has more reasons to return than before. It should be fun to see where this goes, and I hope that if Krystal does get in, it's with him.

I would like to be hopeful about the ballot as well, but I can't help but feel like there's more potential candidates from fresh IPs or sequels this time than compared to the Sm4sh era. This is in addition to Nintendo's increased 3rd party support and even the potential of Indie games.

Although it is interesting to note how it seems less people are hostile towards the idea of Krystal in Smash. The difference is even more stark when you compare this era to the Brawl era. Then again, I haven't been looking into roster opinions all too much this time, so what do I know?
This is what worries me. It's true that the number of all stars who could be added has decreased drastically, but the number of good ideas hasn't. The only thing I can take comfort in is knowing that the ballot was the last thing Sakurai saw before resuming development. The results might not influence the roster in a meaningful way, but the Japanese version of the ballot did say that they would be considered for future iterations of Smash: "The information received from this vote (Henceforth known as Submission Data) will be used for consideration for this software's fighting characters, etc and for reference for future software." This means Star Fox too! I do think Krystal resuming her role in the Star Fox series in an inevitability, what I'm not sure of is how much the timing of that return will overshadow the obvious demand in the ballot, and for that matter, the sustained demand over a 10 year period. 12 if you want to count the lead up to Brawl.
Another way to frame this: reduced hostility may not necessarily be a sign of increased support. It's a tough call. I mean some people may have their eyes set on newer or different characters from games they've either played or seen more recently. In other words, characters like Krystal could potentially fade away from their concern. It probably depends on how much they have supported these characters or the idea of them being in Smash in the past.
I've been noticing an overall less hostile response to the idea as well and people who wouldn't be opposed to the inclusion even though they aren't fans of her. It's nice to see. I would rather see indifferent fans than fans with a strongly negative opinion.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, Krystal had a decent fanbase but an equally huge hate-base.

Twas the time when furry hate was at it's peak.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
I suppose it can depend on what websites or parts of internet you visit. I've noticed from my experience on social media such as Twitter or YouTube that there appears to be nothing but support for her with most negative opinions being in the minority though for other places such as GameFaq forums this appears to be the opposite in some cases. Although she appears to have quite a mixed response somewhat at least online I'd say there's probably a more positive level of support to be found regarding her inclusion in the series overall.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't worry about fresh IPs that much, they need some kind of legacy to join in smash or be something the developers want to advertise for, hence why one of the arms devs came out and said spring man is "too young" to be in smash splatoon was already a run away success in wii u era and splatoon 2 is doing very well, whilst also having very high request and being pushed competitively by nintendo, being new doesn't mean they'll be in smash. And I'd disagree personally about there being a steady version of good ideas for characters, we've really started to run out of important characters from nintendo's lineage, Alot of rosters i've seen include just some of the most ridiculous characters, seemingly based on the idea of simply boosting roster size, If a character isn't important to the franchise and doesn't have unique abilities, aswell as having objective popularity they shouldn't be in smash, and that's hardly only my opinion, I'd bet sakurai feels that way too. The slot-based consideration is only to acknowledge that plenty of franchise have limitless characters more or less with unique abilities, you can make an entire roster out of just pokemon and and Fire emblem characters. But alot of them would not be popular or necessairly important to nintendo's lineage, Most of these rosters expand existing properties characters, that's even what we intend to do here, I've seen alot of people asking for Shovel Knight, almost expecting him to be in, despite being indie and almost certainly not having nearly as high popularity as the internet thinks he is. Under what context is he important to nintendo? how many people could Sakurai drive under a hype train with him? these are questions that really do affect a characters inclusion. Krystal herself ain't exactly a perfect qualifier for these herself, Nor is Wolf, but they're quite requested characters, why not both together as we've said.

Also wow it's been a year since i've signed up to this site and found sweeto's thread, was just sitting on my laptop and decided to look around for Krystal stuff and stumbled into smashboards, so I took it upon myself to make as much noise as I can for the fair vixen, almost all of my messages here are for her, i've constructed 3 mods about her and created a twitter account for her. I know most people have their own objectives or simply like the concept of yelling at each other over the internet thinking other people are interested in their opinion, but my unyielding goal is simply to pay Krystal back for teaching me the importance of caring about the things you like, regardless of how you perceive them.

May she make it into smash so that she gets to be in something that's actually well-polished so that we may be freed of the emotional burden of supporting characters for smash.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Here comes my next miniature essay.

I suppose it can depend on what websites or parts of internet you visit. I've noticed from my experience on social media such as Twitter or YouTube that there appears to be nothing but support for her with most negative opinions being in the minority though for other places such as GameFaq forums this appears to be the opposite in some cases. Although she appears to have quite a mixed response somewhat at least online I'd say there's probably a more positive level of support to be found regarding her inclusion in the series overall.
I'd agree. It's also interesting to read the speculation on the gaming news outlets and blogs. More and more of them are mentioning Krystal. This requested character list is by far my favorite. I think it's the perfect representation of what the casual gamer might say about the roster:

1. Ridley (from Metroid)
I know, this isn’t the most original pick, but it’s one that a lot of fans have been asking for for a long time, so I kind of have to put it. I think I remember hearing at one point that the reason Ridley hasn’t been in any Super Smash Bros. games is because he’s too big or something, but I don’t know. Kirby’s canon height is eight inches, so if they were able to re-size him so his size made more sense next to these other characters, why couldn’t they re-size Ridley? But even if this is a bigger issue than I’m making it out to be, there should probably be SOME other Metroid character, right? Even if it’s not Ridley, Metroid is a huge franchise for Nintendo, yet Samus remains its only representative in Super Smash Bros. Two versions of her, but still. There should be another Metroid character.

2. Dixie Kong (from Donkey Kong Country)
Another pretty frequently requested character is Dixie Kong. The first two Super Smash Bros. games featured Donkey Kong as the sole representative of the Donkey Kong Country series. The next two games included Diddy Kong. Maybe it’s time for another Kong. If so, the star of Donkey Kong Country 3 seems like the obvious choice.

3. Krystal (from Star Fox)
It’s probably about time another Star Fox character was added to the roster too, and it seems like Krystal is among the most popular ones, so here.

4. Ice Climbers (from Ice Climber)
For some reason, the Ice Climbers, who appeared in Melee and Brawl, were absent from the fourth game(s). Why? Bring them back.

5. Ninten (from Mother)
This one’s a little bit more of an unusual pick. There hasn’t been a new Mother character in a Super Smash Bros. game since Lucas’ appearance in Brawl in 2008. Which makes sense, since there haven’t been any new Mother games since then, but the series has continued to maintain a huge cult following and though I don’t see Nintendo localizing Mother 3 anytime soon, they might be able to satiate fans a little bit by including this character from the first Mother in Smash. He might look a little too similar to Ness, but there are plenty of other PSI (or PK, as they’re called in Smash Bros. for some reason) abilities that could be included in Ninten’s moveset to distinguish him from the other Mother characters.

6. A random, old character
You know, like how Mr. Game & Watch was randomly included in Melee, or Duck Hunt in for Wii U/3DS. Characters from way back when who you would never think could be in a fighting game, but are anyway. Maybe like the Balloon Fight guy or something?

7. Another Fire Emblem character
Not that we really need this, since there are a ton of Fire Emblem characters in the Super Smash Bros. series already, but there a SO MANY Fire Emblem characters, it’s hard to imagine that they won’t add at least one more to the new Smash Bros.

8. Another Pokémon character
Same deal. In particular, assuming they’d want to add a character from the Seventh Generation, I could see the starter Incineroarfitting well into a fighting game, or possibly the fan favorite Mimikyu. Or maybe they include Shadow Mewtwo from Pokkén Tournament.

9. Waluigi (from… Mario Tennis, actually. Isn’t that weird?)
Seriously.

10. Spring Man (from ARMS)
Splatoon is still a pretty new Nintendo franchise, so if the Inklings can be in Smash, why not a character from another new Nintendo IP, ARMS? It might be too soon though, since ARMS did only come out last year. Animal Crossing was a franchise for thirteen years before the Villager joined Smash, after all.

11. Rex (from Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
Shulk from the first Xenoblade Chronicles made an appearance in the last Super Smash Bros., so why not Rex in this one?

12. Snip and Clip (from Snipperclips)
I don’t know, I was just kind of thinking of more random and weird but more recent characters. With the inclusion of the Mii Fighters and Wii Fit Trainer in the last Smash Bros., I wouldn’t be surprised if something like the Snipperclips characters were included in the new one.

13. More characters from already-represented 3rd party franchises
What I mean by this is more characters from franchises that are already represented in Smash Bros. but that aren’t Nintendo-owned properties. For example, Sonic the Hedgehog is already in the game; why not add Tails or Shadow or something? Cloud Strife was DLC; what if Noctis or Lightning were to be DLC in the next game? Stuff like that. However, since the whole point of Smash is to bring together mostly Nintendo characters and that these 3rd party characters were kind of just fan service, Nintendo might not think it’s necessary to have more than one character representing a non-Nintendo franchise.

14. Crash Bandicoot (from Crash Bandicoot)
Speaking of non-Nintendo franchises, Nintendo’s been doing this thing lately where they add classic, iconic, but non-Nintendo characters to Smash, such as Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man. Sega’s represented with Sonic, Capcom with Mega Man and Bandai-Namco with Pac-Man; maybe now a Sony mascot, like Crash Bandicoot, can get a seat at the table. This also looks particularly likely since it was just confirmed that the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy is coming to the Switch later this year.

15. Bomberman (from Bomberman)
Same thing, pretty much. Another classic but non-Nintendo character that has recently appeared in a Switch game, in this case Super Bomberman R.

16. Rayman (from Rayman)
Nintendo and Ubisoft came together for Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, why not come together again so Rayman can participate in Smash Bros.?

17. Shovel Knight (from Shovel Knight)
Again, not a Nintendo-owned character, but the guy’s got his own amiibo and everything.

18. Captain Toad (from Mario)
Mario is Nintendo’s biggest franchise, we all know it’s likely that another Mario character’s probably going to join the roster. Since the release of the last Super Smash Bros., Captain Toad has appeared in his own game, which is now even being ported to the Switch, so he seems about as likely a candidate as any.

19. Isaac (from Golden Sun)
Come on, this is way overdue.

20. Sans (from Undertale)
Okay, I’ll admit, I’m partially including this character because I’m self-admittedly an Undertale fanboy. But I, and a lot of other Undertale fans, have thought it’d be really cool for Sans in particular to be in a Smash game for a while now, and now that Undertale is coming to the Switch, it seems perfect. Please, PLEASE let this happen. Even if he’s just DLC. I’ll take it. This would be so cool.
I wouldn't worry about fresh IPs that much, they need some kind of legacy to join in smash or be something the developers want to advertise for, hence why one of the arms devs came out and said spring man is "too young" to be in smash splatoon was already a run away success in wii u era and splatoon 2 is doing very well, whilst also having very high request and being pushed competitively by nintendo, being new doesn't mean they'll be in smash. And I'd disagree personally about there being a steady version of good ideas for characters, we've really started to run out of important characters from nintendo's lineage, Alot of rosters i've seen include just some of the most ridiculous characters, seemingly based on the idea of simply boosting roster size, If a character isn't important to the franchise and doesn't have unique abilities, aswell as having objective popularity they shouldn't be in smash, and that's hardly only my opinion, I'd bet sakurai feels that way too. The slot-based consideration is only to acknowledge that plenty of franchise have limitless characters more or less with unique abilities, you can make an entire roster out of just pokemon and and Fire emblem characters. But alot of them would not be popular or necessairly important to nintendo's lineage, Most of these rosters expand existing properties characters, that's even what we intend to do here, I've seen alot of people asking for Shovel Knight, almost expecting him to be in, despite being indie and almost certainly not having nearly as high popularity as the internet thinks he is. Under what context is he important to nintendo? how many people could Sakurai drive under a hype train with him? these are questions that really do affect a characters inclusion.
Indies are still questionable to me too. I don't know if one will get added, let alone a Western. I'd like to play as Frisk though.
Krystal herself ain't exactly a perfect qualifier for these herself, Nor is Wolf, but they're quite requested characters, why not both together as we've said.
Krystal isn't important to Nintendo in the here and now, but she is a historically significant character who can represent the Star Fox's GameCube era. Adventures and Assault are bashed to some degree or another, however, the truth is both were good games and both SOLD. That is indisputable. Then Command dropped as a niche turn-based strategy game and did half a million. For reference, that's better than Radiant Dawn, which was enough to land Ike in Brawl. That was the last game featuring Krystal. From 2006 to 2016, those were your Star Fox games. There were no actual new games during that decade. So is Krystal important to her own franchise? I would argue yes. I don't buy that she was retconned with Zero either. The director of a game doesn't tell you he'd love to add Krystal in a sequel if he gets the chance to make one when the company is trying to erase the character from the canon, something that was never said or even implied. That was a conclusion people jumped to on their own. Honestly, I think she was already in the plans for the sequel by the time Sweeto had asked, hence the Sauria (yes, I know it's not Cerinia) reference in the Battle Begins.
Also wow it's been a year since i've signed up to this site and found sweeto's thread
Happy Smashboards anniversary Gagny. I saw your Alyx mod and it is gooooooood. I kind of wish I still played Half-Life. That game was too scary for me.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, after the controversies of characters getting cut, all veterans like Wolf have to get high priority, right? That way, there could be a Star Fox-themed four-player smash if Krystal gets in.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Krystal isn't important to Nintendo in the here and now, but she is a historically significant character who can represent the Star Fox's GameCube era. Adventures and Assault are bashed to some degree or another, however, the truth is both were good games and both SOLD. That is indisputable. Then Command dropped as a niche turn-based strategy game and did half a million. For reference, that's better than Radiant Dawn, which was enough to land Ike in Brawl. That was the last game featuring Krystal. From 2006 to 2016, those were your Star Fox games. There were no actual new games during that decade. So is Krystal important to her own franchise? I would argue yes. I don't buy that she was retconned with Zero either. The director of a game doesn't tell you he'd love to add Krystal in a sequel if he gets the chance to make one when the company is trying to erase the character from the canon, something that was never said or even implied. That was a conclusion people jumped to on their own. Honestly, I think she was already in the plans for the sequel by the time Sweeto had asked, hence the Sauria (yes, I know it's not Cerinia) reference in the Battle Begins.
This is pretty much what I tell myself in order to justify the fact that her part in the series isn't over yet. A remake of 64, a re-imagining of 64 alongside a spin-off which acts as a companion to said game and a release of a previously unreleased title from the mid 90's (which is certainly welcome and I hope they can incorporate that games gameplay and characters into a future title in some way) is all we've had since the release of Command and until they either release a sequel without her or simply state she's no longer part of the series I'm gonna maintain faith that her next appearance in the series is just around the corner. While its great that they've still kept the series up with recent releases especially with the effort they made to bring SF2 back to life indicating the series is still on the developers minds, we really need something that goes beyond the titles from the 90's especially given how fresh and fun the pre-2000 titles were for me. I only hope that she hasn't missed her opportunity to appear in a potential new title or a Platinum based Zero sequel due to the latter's somewhat low sales given their potential plans they had for her character.

Also wow it's been a year since i've signed up to this site and found sweeto's thread, was just sitting on my laptop and decided to look around for Krystal stuff and stumbled into smashboards, so I took it upon myself to make as much noise as I can for the fair vixen, almost all of my messages here are for her, i've constructed 3 mods about her and created a twitter account for her. I know most people have their own objectives or simply like the concept of yelling at each other over the internet thinking other people are interested in their opinion, but my unyielding goal is simply to pay Krystal back for teaching me the importance of caring about the things you like, regardless of how you perceive them. May she make it into smash so that she gets to be in something that's actually well-polished so that we may be freed of the emotional burden of supporting characters for smash.
Thats pretty much how I got involved myself. Happened to be scrolling through some tweets where I stumbled across your Twitter support page on Nintendo's 25th Anniversary Tweet for Starfox, which led me to this support page on the SmashBoards. Until then I wasn't aware of the amount of effort people put into supporting a characters inclusion or that this could potentially make all the difference in whether a character makes the roster. I kinda wonder what the overall reaction would be should she make the cut, especially after the amount of time people have waited and amount of support shown overall, but I suppose the anticipation of making that outcome a reality acts as a great motivation to continue this strong level of support

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
I did recall Krystal being a popular ballot request, and some ballot requests aren't gonna happen like Sora
I'd love for them to release the results of the ballot, especially to see how Krystal did in comparison to some of the other highly requested characters. From what I've heard though the ballot is being used as a reference for potential future candidates in both the Switch title and potentially beyond so I wonder if they're being kept secret deliberately in order to avoid potential new entrants from being spoilt before their announcement/release.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'd love for them to release the results of the ballot, especially to see how Krystal did in comparison to some of the other highly requested characters. From what I've heard though the ballot is being used as a reference for potential future candidates in both the Switch title and potentially beyond so I wonder if they're being kept secret deliberately in order to avoid potential new entrants from being spoilt before their announcement/release.
What also works in our favor is that a lot of popular ballot requests were 3rd Parties, which require licensing. First party characters don't have any licensing issues

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
What also works in our favor is that a lot of popular ballot requests were 3rd Parties, which require licensing. First party characters don't have any licensing issues
Thats true, given that there's probably only a few spaces available for 3rd party characters then I imagine some first party suggestions which may not have ranked so highly may still be a high priority when considering fighters. I suppose the important thing to remember is that rating highly on the ballot doesn't necessarily guarantee a place though I imagine it would still contribute highly to a characters inclusion weighting overall.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I am also wondering if we do get Krystal playable, if Kursed is an alternate skin, I know I hate command too, but are different VAs, taunts, and animations possble?

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
I am also wondering if we do get Krystal playable, if Kursed is an alternate skin, I know I hate command too, but are different VAs, taunts, and animations possble?
That would be a pretty cool idea, even as just a way to give Command some representation in Smash despite it probably involving one of my least favourite endings (I just find that ending so depressing :( ). I cant imagine they'd make her a completely separate character beyond just a cosmetic change but it could work similarly to something like alph or the koopalings if they did add different animations, or maybe something like wire-frame mac which had a completely different appearance from the original character but kept the same taunts, moves, animations etc.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
This is pretty much what I tell myself in order to justify the fact that her part in the series isn't over yet. A remake of 64, a re-imagining of 64 alongside a spin-off which acts as a companion to said game and a release of a previously unreleased title from the mid 90's (which is certainly welcome and I hope they can incorporate that games gameplay and characters into a future title in some way) is all we've had since the release of Command and until they either release a sequel without her or simply state she's no longer part of the series I'm gonna maintain faith that her next appearance in the series is just around the corner. While its great that they've still kept the series up with recent releases especially with the effort they made to bring SF2 back to life indicating the series is still on the developers minds, we really need something that goes beyond the titles from the 90's especially given how fresh and fun the pre-2000 titles were for me. I only hope that she hasn't missed her opportunity to appear in a potential new title or a Platinum based Zero sequel due to the latter's somewhat low sales given their potential plans they had for her character.
E3 is a time to get first looks into new IPs and upcoming projects for existing ones. With the big Mario, Zelda and Splatoon games out of the way, the spotlight will be shining brightly on the other properties. I expect LABO to receive a freakish amount of attention, the 3DS to be rehashed and sold as something new, more details on the next Fire Emblem and maybe if God is smiling, a real Animal Crossing on the Switch. More than anything, I'm hoping Zero hasn't tanked the prospects for a new Star Fox game this year - announcement or release. This E3 will be telling for Krystal. She has two windows where she could conceivably make the cut. The first was through the ballot back when the roster was in the planning stages. Second is an SF release this year that will immediately prompt DLC considerations. What are your predictions for her and the franchise this year? Will there be nothing or is there reason to expect a big announcement?

A different VA and taunts are do-able though unlikely, since that's a lot of fanservice for a newcomer of a struggling franchise who just got there. Unique animations, I think, are totally out of the question. Of course, I'm not fond of that alter ego either. They could have made another edgy anti-hero to market. Flipping a fan favorite that way, and in the manner they did, was so cheap and uninspired. Ending 4 was the bad ending in more ways than one.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
E3 is a time to get first looks into new IPs and upcoming projects for existing ones. With the big Mario, Zelda and Splatoon games out of the way, the spotlight will be shining brightly on the other properties. I expect LABO to receive a freakish amount of attention, the 3DS to be rehashed and sold as something new, more details on the next Fire Emblem and maybe if God is smiling, a real Animal Crossing on the Switch. More than anything, I'm hoping Zero hasn't tanked the prospects for a new Star Fox game this year - announcement or release. This E3 will be telling for Krystal. She has two windows where she could conceivably make the cut. The first was through the ballot back when the roster was in the planning stages. Second is an SF release this year that will immediately prompt DLC considerations. What are your predictions for her and the franchise this year? Will there be nothing or is there reason to expect a big announcement?
Given how its the 25th anniversary for the series I would assume some kind of special announcement for the series is possible though given how thats not always the case even with some of their bigger franchises such as Metroid I wouldn't say that with complete confidence. However, going off the series release schedule history though there usually tends to be around a 4 year gap between titles and as we appear to be heading towards that time period again, along with the switch release calendar looking a little bare for the remainder of the year I see it as a great opportunity to release a new entry while the buzz for the switch is still high and while there's the potential for a good release window to be assigned when there's not alot of other titles available which may hinder its sales. So overall I'd say that if an announcement were to come within the next few years then this year would make the most sense and be the most probable in terms of the new future.

In a way both the Switch Smash and a new Star Fox could be a great way of promoting Krystal and testing the waters to see how her popularity holds out, either by having her included in Smash and seeing if there's enough demand for her to be included in next Star Fox title whether it be recently announced or something further down the road,or by possibly measuring her reception in a new game to determine whether she could be considered as potential DLC some time after Smash is released and I feel this year would be the best chance to carry this out as many people, whether through support pages or social media have shown they still care about the franchise and its characters even after so long and it would be a big shame to miss this chance when Nintendo themselves have been doing so well recently and actually appeared to have shown more interest in the franchise in the past year than they have in the last 10 years prior.

I suppose if we were to look at it a little more pessimistically should she miss the cut for Smash this time and not make it in through any kind of DLC then she'd probably need another appearance in the series due to the length of her absence especially by the time the next one comes around. While I think she could probably afford to miss one more entry in the Star Fox series before possibly not making a return to the franchise (as they may decide to make a follow up to Star Fox 2 or Zero both of which wouldn't necessarily negate her character), being absent for so many years and missing out on so many new entries isn't a situation that would bode well for her. That being said this really is a worst case scenario that only goes through my head when I'm feeling at my lowest and I feel there's far too much going for Krystal and the Star Fox series as a whole, especially in regards to their support in recent years to let that happen and is why I remain confident we'll hear some good news come E3 or possibly a little bit later.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
palette swaps, anyone?

krystal-colors-1.png krystal-colors-2.png

i'm never sure which idea i like better:
  • a set of colors for both her original and her Assault designs, like Wario and others, or
  • an original suit like the other Star Fox characters get, which maybe incorporates design elements from both
is there a general consensus around here? i've been out of the loop

Last edited:

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
palette swaps, anyone?

View attachment 142071 View attachment 142072

• a set of colors for both her original and her Assault designs, like Wario and others, or
  • an original suit like the other Star Fox characters get, which maybe incorporates design elements from both
Those are some nice looking designs there. To be honest I'd always envisioned her outfits being like those images you posted in that the main designs would be based on her designs from Assault and Adventures given that they're the most well known and popular, with her colour swaps from the Assault multiplayer and alternate outfits from Command such as her Kursed or Star Wolf designs acting as potential palette swaps or alternate designs. What tends to be the case from what I've heard though is that they tend to mainly base a Star Fox characters design on their most recent entry with some aspects taken from previous games kinda like what the Smashified series did for her by mainly basing it on her Command appearance with a bit of Assault and Adventures thrown in. What would be really cool is if in the event they have a new game in the pipeline, that her design could be based on her new appearance from that game though of course that potential scenario remains to be seen until later.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
palette swaps, anyone?

View attachment 142071 View attachment 142072

Not bad, though the purple haired one reminds me of Kursed

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
man, it's really disheartening to see krystal getting destroyed by dixie kong on the wanted character bracket. i mean it's not like Sakurai himself is gonna base his roster decisions on some random matchups from a fan forum, but it's still a decent sample size. is interest really that low?

edit: on the plus side my second most wanted character seems to be doing well for himself. good for you, ridley. ^^

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
man, it's really disheartening to see krystal getting destroyed by dixie kong on the wanted character bracket. i mean it's not like Sakurai himself is gonna base his roster decisions on some random matchups from a fan forum, but it's still a decent sample size. is interest really that low?

edit: on the plus side my second most wanted character seems to be doing well for himself. good for you, ridley. ^^
To be fair, I want Krystal and Dixie; I just want Dixie more. I'd imagine there's a fair number in the same position.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
To be fair, I want Krystal and Dixie; I just want Dixie more. I'd imagine there's a fair number in the same position.
hmmm, that doesn't really help though. sounds like at best she's Some People's Second Choice. Maybe the story is different on other sites, I dunno. i'm not saying this is scathing evidence but it's not encouraging either.

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman

Sorry, I was lurking around and saw this.

As the creator of that bracket, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’s just a fun game that, though able to expose characters that are less loved than their fans make them sound or unveil characters that are well liked but have a quiet fanbase, doesn’t exactly follow the scientific method. It does offer some value as a popularity measure of “Who do you really want more at the end of the day?”, but that only matters when the characters are evenly matched. It asks this question- is Krystal a more popular character than Dixie Kong on Smashboards? The short answer: no. That’s a pill that will have to be swallowed.

I suspect Dixie Kong is more popular outside the forums as well, but that isn’t the question being answered. Krystal losing isn’t even saying she’s unpopular on the forums, just that she’s less popular than her opponent. Most of those 64 characters would lose badly to Dixie, so there’s no shame in that. If I were a Krystal supporter (I’m mostly indifferent), I would be happy with a decisive victory over Daisy, which is a more meaningful matchup. I’d be more worried about other popularity indicators that look at Krystal’s popularity independent of any other single character, as the Rate Their Chances thread. There, Krystal only got a 36.54% Want score, which is pretty bad in context. She’s historically controversial here, no doubt, due to a number of factors, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t many outside supporters voting for her on the ballot.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

The roster's been decided. We're all having fun by this point and the sample size is smaller than you might think. Smashboards speculation is a community within a community. As a whole, it doesn't even make up 1% of the vote. I wouldn't be disheartened. And consider this game's context. It's match-ups based. The top seeds got absolute marshmallows while Krystal and Dixie were pitted against iconic characters like Daisy and Meowth from the opening gun. Excitebike, the other oft discussed retro, was pitted against Paper Mario, which essentially eliminated Takamaru's main competition in his own category. Moreover, characters who wouldn't otherwise advance in a popularity poll did, because they went up against options that are perceived as less desirable. I like Starfy, but I certainly didn't expect him to reach round 2. I also found myself doubling back to vote for characters I ignored in round 1. That's the "who would you rather have" effect for you. It's not an accurate game by any means, but it's just that: a game.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
yeahhh i hear you guys. i tend to jump to conclusions and expect the worst, always have, and it's something i'm trying to work on. realistically i know all that, but there's still that voice screaming "BUT WHAT IF"

Nimbostratus Nimbostratus especially, thank you for addressing concerns over a character you don't even care for ^^

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Everyone's upbringing is different, so it makes sense that their opinions on characters are different. Personally, I could care less about the DKC series of games since I've never played them and the characters never seemed that interesting to me. I've also never played a Star Fox game, but Krystal has a lot of things going for her that I am interested in, such as a way to give variety to a series whose move sets are all semi clones of one another, and she's an interesting strong female representative. That's just me though, and many people here are in the age range that they grew up with older series like Donkey Kong Country instead of Star Fox on the Gamecube.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
yeahhh i hear you guys. i tend to jump to conclusions and expect the worst, always have, and it's something i'm trying to work on. realistically i know all that, but there's still that voice screaming "BUT WHAT IF"

Nimbostratus Nimbostratus especially, thank you for addressing concerns over a character you don't even care for ^^
Believe me, it's really easy to get wrapped up into echo chambers (be they good or bad). No worries. I've done it plenty of times before, and it still happens to me from time to time in the present. Being surrounded by a community that is so involved in something (like Smash speculation, and even the specifics within) can make it easy to forget that this is, ultimately, a microcosm of something much larger. Given that we share similar interests, our group is probably a fairly skewed and unrepresentative sample (Still a fun one nonetheless! >:D).

Our opinions likely differ greatly from those less involved in speculation like casual Smash or even general Nintendo fans. I only wish there was a way to somewhat grasp the consensus from all sources, but alas that'd be an extraordinarily difficult and arduous task.

But could you imagine if we had the capability to get an actual representative roster idea sample from everyone? That'd be really interesting to see. The smash ballot is probably the closest something has ever gotten to that idea, and we couldn't even see the results. I'd be really curious to see how Krystal would fair on that world-wide level.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Believe me, it's really easy to get wrapped up into echo chambers (be they good or bad). No worries. I've done it plenty of times before, and it still happens to me from time to time in the present. Being surrounded by a community that is so involved in something (like Smash speculation, and even the specifics within) can make it easy to forget that this is, ultimately, a microcosm of something much larger. Given that we share similar interests, our group is probably a fairly skewed and unrepresentative sample (Still a fun one nonetheless! >:D).

Our opinions likely differ greatly from those less involved in speculation like casual Smash or even general Nintendo fans. I only wish there was a way to somewhat grasp the consensus from all sources, but alas that'd be an extraordinarily difficult and arduous task.

But could you imagine if we had the capability to get an actual representative roster idea sample from everyone? That'd be really interesting to see. The smash ballot is probably the closest something has ever gotten to that idea, and we couldn't even see the results. I'd be really curious to see how Krystal would fair on that world-wide level.
i've always wondered if the full results were ever published! i've asked in a couple of places but the question always seems to fall on deaf ears. judging from your phrasing i'm gonna assume it hasnt?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The full results may be published but only after Smash Swith is out as I think they may be using those results and they don't wanna
  1. Give the game away
  2. Give False Hope.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
The full results may be published but only after Smash Swith is out as I think they may be using those results and they don't wanna
  1. Give the game away
  2. Give False Hope.
Yeah. I think releasing the results is one of the worst things Sakurai could do for him and the Smash team. It paints them into a corner, and turns any exclusions into a Ridley situation where Sakurai has to explain himself as to why [insert popular character here] didn't make it. It only adds more stress to them to please a ton of fanbases who would feel entitled to their character getting in based solely on popularity, all while keeping the game fresh and new.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Hey, everyone.

I made a short survey asking for opinions in regards to a new Star Fox game. I've been talking a lot about Star Fox on SmashBoards recently, and it's been building up to this. The survey is only 20 questions long, and I plan on spreading it a bit through SmashBoards and Reddit. Hoping to get as much participation as I can.

If you're interested, here's a link: Star Fox Survey

I'd post it in the Wolf Support thread, but I can't, since I'd be double-posting...

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Hey, everyone.

I made a short survey asking for opinions in regards to a new Star Fox game. I've been talking a lot about Star Fox on SmashBoards recently, and it's been building up to this. The survey is only 20 questions long, and I plan on spreading it a bit through SmashBoards and Reddit. Hoping to get as much participation as I can.

If you're interested, here's a link: Star Fox Survey

I'd post it in the Wolf Support thread, but I can't, since I'd be double-posting...
Done. I definitely wish I had a say in the direction of the series, because I firmly disagree with Miyamoto (and, considering how poorly Zero did, I'm not the only one). I see this franchise having the potential of becoming something akin to a space opera, and Miyamoto is not doing the series any favors in that regard.

EDIT: One of the biggest strengths I found in Assault was the story, worldbuilding and character development. Wolf went from just a douchey rival to an antihero who actually can find it within himself to help out Fox if the need arises. I found myself actually caring about Corneria getting invaded this time when the Aparoids forced you to fight General Pepper. I actually gave a damn about the dinosaurs from Adventures when they were threatened with extinction. Not to mention, the Aparoids came from a distant homeworld outside of the Lylat system, opening up the possibility for other solar systems to visit, other villains, intergalactic wars and so much more.

EDIT 2: I also attribute a lot of the story's ability to engage the player to the on-foot sections. It's one thing to see the war from up in the sky or inside the safety of the Landmaster; it's another to actually be on the front lines, seeing the menace from your own eyes. Invading the Aparoid homeworld felt threatening to me because of the sheer number of them and the daunting task of searching around for the hatchers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom