• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My grain of salt could take up the size of the entire plate with this one. According to this, Retro is working on a DK game, another unannounced game, and a game this big at the same time? I mean, the timeframe might work if they started development right after Tropical Freeze (~4 1/2 years), but I don't think this is legit; the scope sounds too unrealistic to me, and I don't think Nintendo would take a risk of this magnitude with Star Fox, especially considering how poorly Zero fared.
This, miyamoto has said that he thinks they can handle multiple projects but 3 all at once? when in the past they've only worked on one at a time? I don't see it happening

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
For all we know, Sakurai could be aware of a new Star Fox game in development, and that might mean great news for our favorite blue vixen. And I also don't understand why there is a scism between those who want Krystal and those who want Wolf to be playable again. We could very well get both, Wolf is easy to make, there's no reason why if we get Krystal, we can't also get Wolf

Last edited:

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Ya know as long as this thread is here, I've been wanting to rant about this for a while now, you can delete posts on SBs right?

Anyways, I've never been a huge starfox fan beyond assault, but honestly I feel like it's got so much untouched potential. I mean it's probably the least explored Nintendo franchise, to me it feels like it's been explored less then even F-Zero has been. And one of the things I feel like the franchise never really had a defined style to it. Aside from bosses and ship designs, Everything from the buildings to what characters wear always felt so bland and not thought through at all. But when the "A fox in space" show begun recently I feel like that just clicked. The Retro-future aesthetic fit's incredibly well! And honestly that got me so much more invested then most of the games have. Anyone else watch the single episode that's out? I honestly think Nintendo needs to hire that guy to re-invent starfox, even just for the style

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Ya know as long as this thread is here, I've been wanting to rant about this for a while now, you can delete posts on SBs right?

Anyways, I've never been a huge starfox fan beyond assault, but honestly I feel like it's got so much untouched potential. I mean it's probably the least explored Nintendo franchise, to me it feels like it's been explored less then even F-Zero has been. And one of the things I feel like the franchise never really had a defined style to it. Aside from bosses and ship designs, Everything from the buildings to what characters wear always felt so bland and not thought through at all. But when the "A fox in space" show begun recently I feel like that just clicked. The Retro-future aesthetic fit's incredibly well! And honestly that got me so much more invested then most of the games have. Anyone else watch the single episode that's out? I honestly think Nintendo needs to hire that guy to re-invent starfox, even just for the style
the creator of a fox in space is an avid krystal hater from what I've heard, I'd rather avoid that for overtly obvious reasons. We wouldn't have to worry about that since nintendo isn't sega, I have no idea if SF fans could make a good SF game like how sonic mania turned out. It'd likely just be another uninspired throwback to SF 64 and everyone circlejerking about how good it is. But yea the game is just wandering potential, it barely has fans anymore so they really need something new if they intend to keep it as an actually meaningful franchise.

Also yesterday was nuts for rumors, Liam did some weird apparently "joke" post where he put the G-Zero SF command ending disguised in his profile picture, then said it was just an inside joke, then proceeded to do another rumor, he's being kind of a prick about it, dunno why. Then that bamco worker said that they were working on it, which just adds further credence to the Smash 6 bamco listing, wonder if that could put the idea of the switch game back to 2014. I have no idea what's going on atm, but I guess it's just a month-out till E3 so rumors are just picking up I guess.

Can't say I know but I'd really just like to see E3 now so I can see what i've been waiting over a year for, be it Krystal in smash or in a new SF game, neither or only one of those. I just want to know at this point lol.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
the creator of a fox in space is an avid krystal hater from what I've heard, I'd rather avoid that for overtly obvious reasons.
I was about to say the same thing :laugh:

I have no idea if SF fans could make a good SF game
Don't forget about SF Event Horizon. In terms of gameplay, it's a rather limited experience (especially if you long for something Assault-ish), but content-wise, this game has it all. It actually combines pretty much everything the series has to offer (including Cerinia, btw.) and uses it in a much better way than the official games did. This game is made by someone who really loves the SF franchise in its entirety, including Krystal. He is someone you can actually consider a true fan, rather than a fanboy of one particular game. SDFox SDFox you should really check it out, if you haven't already that is.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I was about to say the same thing :laugh:

Don't forget about SF Event Horizon. In terms of gameplay, it's a rather limited experience (especially if you long for something Assault-ish), but content-wise, this game has it all. It actually combines pretty much everything the series has to offer (including Cerinia, btw.) and uses it in a much better way than the official games did. This game is made by someone who really loves the SF franchise in its entirety, including Krystal. He is someone you can actually consider a true fan, rather than a fanboy of one particular game. SDFox SDFox you should really check it out, if you haven't already that is.
I kinda wish Nintendo would give UndyingNephalim their seal of approval

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
I kinda wish Nintendo would give UndyingNephalim their seal of approval
I hope he won't turn SF:EH into an RTS again, as he recently proposed. From what I've seen, the majority of the community (including myself ofc) are against it. I think he's already put too much energy and work into the game we currently have. I wouldn't want to see all that go to waste.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Event Horizon's models give me nightmares, amusingly Krystal excluded. but that SF racing game rumor rabbit hole keeps getting deeper, DasVergeben, who is a somewhat prominent leaker who resides on reddit also jumped on it, talking with him more he says that they're aiming for a spring/summer 2019 release, If Krystal is in it it could be the chance we need to line her up for DLC release. I'm gonna keep track of this rumor to see where it goes, he's just throwing out it could be at E3, but I don't know if this e3 will actually have games that will release past 2018, granted I think the last one said the same thing yet we still got a prime 4 announcement, and who knows when that's coming out. I just hope to whatever collection of deities that can hear that it's not based on a continuance from SF command G-Zero ending, that ending is about the worst ending for Krystal fans, we'll have to wait and see sadly, there's no way we can know till the game is confirmed or deconfirmed.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Event Horizon's models give me nightmares
Which ones? New or old? When you go to the SF:EH website and navigate to the character page, you'll see that all of the models have been redone. IMO, most of them look a lot better now, especially Fox himself. Sadly, the website isn't updated that much anymore. The link to the latest demo still guides you to demo 5, even though the most recent one is actually demo 7. Same with the Lylat (& beyond) map on the site. Some planets have yet to be added, like Kew.

I just hope to whatever collection of deities that can hear that it's not based on a continuance from SF command G-Zero ending, that ending is about the worst ending for Krystal fans
I remember a discussion on the KA regarding this. I think that in the G-Zero ending, Krystal becomes Kursed. Endings 4 & 9 essentially show the same outcome (Star Wolf = new heroes). Difference is: Ending 4 shows Krystal's perspective while Ending 9 shows Fox's. So when Kursed ran into Fox again on Kew, he was likely there for a race. Both endings mention galaxies/systems outside Lylat, after all. I still think the default ending is the worst. I'd rather see Krystal being badass on her own than a member of Star Wolf, let alone in a relationship with Panther, which was obviously pushed by the English version. I really hope this entire rumor is false. I'd prefer the first one that talked about an open-world GTA style kinda SF game. Even more unrealistic, I know, but one can dream ;)

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Which ones? New or old? When you go to the SF:EH website and navigate to the character page, you'll see that all of the models have been redone. IMO, most of them look a lot better now, especially Fox himself. Sadly, the website isn't updated that much anymore. The link to the latest demo still guides you to demo 5, even though the most recent one is actually demo 7. Same with the Lylat (& beyond) map on the site. Some planets have yet to be added, like Kew.

I remember a discussion on the KA regarding this. I think that in the G-Zero ending, Krystal becomes Kursed. Endings 4 & 9 essentially show the same outcome (Star Wolf = new heroes). Difference is: Ending 4 shows Krystal's perspective while Ending 9 shows Fox's. So when Kursed ran into Fox again on Kew, he was likely there for a race. Both endings mention galaxies/systems outside Lylat, after all. I still think the default ending is the worst. I'd rather see Krystal being badass on her own than a member of Star Wolf, let alone in a relationship with Panther, which was obviously pushed by the English version. I really hope this entire rumor is false. I'd prefer the first one that talked about an open-world GTA style kinda SF game. Even more unrealistic, I know, but one can dream ;)
Ah yes I see the new ones on the character page, that is MUCH better. I see what you're getting at, after checking them both out again, and I'd say you're probably right. The easy way to tell is if we get some planets leaked and if Kew is mentioned, if it is I really can't say I'd know what to do about it, other than be extremely frustrated. If they make the Kursed/G-Zero ending canon that would really put Krystals popularity into the dirt, only the most foolish and deeply culturally ignorant writers would suspect anyone would prefer this ending or this character direction. If it does happen though I hope Kursed is a boss that we get to annihilate, to atleast allow us in enact vengeance on her.

Anyhoo we'll see how it checks out, I just hope if this is true it doesn't ruin Retro Studio's image, they've really made a name for themselves and I'd hate to lose them to this too.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
If it does happen though I hope Kursed is a boss that we get to annihilate, to atleast allow us in enact vengeance on her.
This should happen at the very beginning of the game as the Kursed ending concludes with them running into each other again. So they could put in a Fox vs. Kursed boss fight as the prologue. It would surely be an interesting one ;) After they both calm down, they should work alongside each other (maybe even be forced to do so). During the mission/campaign, they get the opportunity to make it up to the other (Krystal especially, as her actions were far worse). By the end of the game, a new bond is formed and they try to start all over. Not necessarily making it an official relationship, but rather going back to what they were during the Aparoid Invasion. It would be a case of coming out of a crisis even stronger than before. Lastly, they should officially reform the SF team. Problem solved. Yay! :joyful:

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
The only way kursed works at all is as a skin in smash.
Or some random alt ending i guess.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Anyone else taking the week of E3 off? Tbh, I hope that racing game isn't true. They should just make an RPG. That benefits SF as an off the wall experiment far more than an F-Zero style racing game with all kinds of potential to bomb. F-Zero GX was good and it totally flopped. The demand for this kind of game is overstated. Unless G-Zero is immaculate and draws casuals, it's gonna be another nail in the coffin.

PF9

Smash Lord
I think that if Krystal had been added to Brawl instead of Wolf, Star Fox might have stood a better chance of keeping its 3-representative count in SSB4, as many people saw Wolf as a throwaway clone, thus he was cut.

The main reason Krystal probably wasn't added to Brawl in the first place was probably her gender - the only female newcomer in that game was Zero Suit Samus, and even she wasn't accessible by normal means. Sexism in this day and age is a big no-no.

Of course we did get a high amount of female newcomers in SSB4 (including alternate skins), though Krystal was still absent.

Krystal's time should be now. She could have a moveset that would differ from the other Star Fox representatives (which made her more attractive than Wolf to begin with).

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I don't think I've ever said this before, but I feel like the voice acting in Star Fox Assault was underrated. I don't know, everyone felt spot-on on Nintendo's VA choices for them.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Looks like eurogamer is backing the rumor aswell, saying that their own sources confirm this game existing https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

Looks like we might get this whether we want it or not lol. I pray for all of us, Star Fox fans, Krystal fans, and retro studios themselves, may it be a great game. This still excites me as the chance of any Starfox game was fringe before but it seems to be heating up even more now so maybe we'll have a game finally line up for Krystal's inclusion chances. E3 can't come soon enough.

You know, I don't think I've ever said this before, but I feel like the voice acting in Star Fox Assault was underrated. I don't know, everyone felt spot-on on Nintendo's VA choices for them.
I LOVE assault's voice acting, it's so much better for each character than it is in any other title, amusingly minus Adventure's Krystal which is actually still pretty good, though I favor Glidewell a bit better. seriously, bring back Jim Walker (Fox's Assault VA), his Brawl Fox was damn cool, then we downgraded to mandark for Smash 4, I would pay actual money for a DLC package that fixes fox's ****ty voice and I don't even play fox anymore.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well that certainly is an unexpected direction.

Bodes well for Krystal's chances tho.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I really hope this racing game rumour isn't true, this series is already a mess and that's not gonna help lmfao. How you gonna make a game, cancel the second, remake the first, have a sequel in a different genre, another sequel in the original genre, whatever command was supposed to be, remake the first game, and then remake it AGAIN and then make a ****ing racing game lmao.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember people, we live in a world where Mario crossed over with the Rabbids, in a Turn Based cover shooter strategy RPG, and it was good.

We live in an uncertain universe and we have no clue how it'll turn out. (I'm betting something like Diddy Kong Racing or Sonic All-Stars transformed)

Plus I'd just be happy to have an excuse to have Krystal, Miyu and Fey all in the same game without having to worry about lore.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
star fox is still comparatively new to me so i could get used to a different playstyle! as long as our girl doesn't get a raw deal it's fine with me, i'll try out whatever they wanna do with it

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Looks like eurogamer is backing the rumor aswell, saying that their own sources confirm this game existing https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

Looks like we might get this whether we want it or not lol. I pray for all of us, Star Fox fans, Krystal fans, and retro studios themselves, may it be a great game. This still excites me as the chance of any Starfox game was fringe before but it seems to be heating up even more now so maybe we'll have a game finally line up for Krystal's inclusion chances. E3 can't come soon enough.
I’m going to take this rumor with a massive grain of salt. I won’t believe any rumors/leaks about any new games until official confirmation by the developers themselves. This is why I hate the build up to E3 each year because of all the rumors and leaks that pop up everywhere before the expo even starts. Especially this year because a series I happen to love dearly(Star Fox) might be getting a racing spin-off title that I already don’t like the sound of.

I think that if Krystal had been added to Brawl instead of Wolf, Star Fox might have stood a better chance of keeping its 3-representative count in SSB4, as many people saw Wolf as a throwaway clone, thus he was cut.

The main reason Krystal probably wasn't added to Brawl in the first place was probably her gender - the only female newcomer in that game was Zero Suit Samus, and even she wasn't accessible by normal means. Sexism in this day and age is a big no-no.

Of course we did get a high amount of female newcomers in SSB4 (including alternate skins), though Krystal was still absent.

Krystal's time should be now. She could have a moveset that would differ from the other Star Fox representatives (which made her more attractive than Wolf to begin with).
I agree with this especially the last part about Krystal’s time being now in terms of being in Smash Bros. If she doesn’t make it in this iteration of Smash Bros. then it could be over for our fair Blue Vixen until a new Star Fox title(not a possible racing spin-off) is made. However, I still wonder why Sakurai never included Krystal in any of the hidden radio bantering on the Orbital Gate stage on Sm4sh WiiU/3DS considering she was in SF: Assault. It also still baffles me as to why her trophy wasn’t in the Assault trophy case. Nonetheless, it should be interesting as to what Sakurai decided to do with the Smash Switch character roster in terms of the Star Fox series this time around considering so many fans wanted a Wolf back.

This here is worth smiling at everytime I see it.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
If SSB introduced Fox and SSBM introduced Falco, SSBB introduced Wolf, I feel SSB4 should've introduced someone from Starfox in to continue that pattern but sadly no.

I always would've loved to see Krystal in Smash. and I support fully.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Remember people, we live in a world where Mario crossed over with the Rabbids, in a Turn Based cover shooter strategy RPG, and it was good.

We live in an uncertain universe and we have no clue how it'll turn out. (I'm betting something like Diddy Kong Racing or Sonic All-Stars transformed)

Plus I'd just be happy to have an excuse to have Krystal, Miyu and Fey all in the same game without having to worry about lore.
At the very least, it will be a change of pace for the series (pun intended). Erring on the side of uncertainty and creativity(?) is likely better than remaking the original for the umpteenth time.

However the biggest concerning thought that crosses my mind, assuming the rumor is true, is that this will essentially combine a niche franchise with a niche genre. In other words, a relatively-unpopular franchise (sales-wise) would be combined with a relatively-unpopular genre (apart from Mario Kart). I'm not sure it would garner more sales than something like a Star Fox "RPG", as others have mentioned on this thread. I would be really curious to see how this would pan out, though. It would be interesting to see what characters they would include in a game like that. Seeing Krystal make a return would most certainly not hurt her chances regarding Smash 5.

I won't believe anything until I see it, of course. I think this E3 has the potential to be pretty exciting.

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
I guess the question there is, are you willing to sacrafice everything for a shot in the dark that could revive the franchise. At this point is it enough of a mess to try to start somewhere fresh? Personally i think its time for a big shake up but idk about a racing game.

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Wow, I honestly cant remember that last time I was in 2 minds regarding the direction a series could potentially take. On the plus, despite probably being a spin-off title it would still act as a new title for the Star Fox franchise and with Retro working on it and the switch having a pretty good fanbase at the moment, the potential for this title to do well could be pretty high especially if taking elements for Diddy Kong and F-zero (though I would still love to see that franchise come back as well). Given the large number of characters they could choose from I imagine Krystal would be a shoe in for playable character inclusion which would finally be an end to the wait to see her make an appearance (and playable appearance) in the series, and as some people have said could be leading to her reveal as a character in Smash or maybe a future DLC character in the near future.

That said though although the Star Fox franchise isn't new to trying out new genres, if given the choice I'd still prefer a title which was closer to the roots of the franchise with some new gameplay elements added (a bit like Assault maybe) and I feel releasing a title like this could mean saying goodbye to the more on-rails shooter style of gameplay at least for a while (though I dont see the franchise turning into a pure racing series should this actually be released).

I'd also be curious to see whether it would be a continuation of Commands G-Zero ending or more of a reference to it. Should it have an adventure mode like the rumours have been suggesting then I could see that happening though given the way it left all the characters in terms of Star Fox being disbanded and Wolf taking over it would be quite odd to pick one of the sadder and more depressing endings (especially as Q-Games and Nintendo have pretty much considered it as non-canon to the series), unless it followed the route of being a more redemption focused story which brought everyone and the Star Fox team back together like other people have been suggesting. This would be interesting and I feel it could work though at the same time it would canonise an ending which had several big out of characters moments and actions and I feel it would be hard for the characters to return to a pre-Command situation given all that happened within that route and what some of the characters did.

Still even if this does turn out to be fake (which I believe it is though I'm still curious to see if it'll be announced), I do find it fun debating about this as well as potential directions the game or even the series could go. Reminds me of a rumour regarding a Metroid x Star Fox crossover I heard a few years back before Zero was announced which I prayed was true in order to have some kind of a sign that the series was still alive. And its given me some new found hope that something Star Fox related is coming either this year or something very soon whether it be a racing game, a more traditional title or even something else entirely. I look for ward to watching E3 this year to see if something is announced which may revive the series, and maybe (fingers crossed) even bring a couple more representatives to Smash this year or later on as DLC.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
looks like Liam wasn't joking, someone summed up his podcast and has given us more information.
What Liam said on his podcast from what he’s heard

- The game is not like F-Zero
- He’s seen a more complete version of the logo
- The game is based on the arwing (which differentiates it from F-Zero)
- He was told the title “Star Fox Grand Prix” was a tentative title
- The game is a mixture between classic Star Fox and racing
- You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
- Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track
- It has a big hub area where you can interact with the Star Fox characters
- You pick up new missions at the hub and there’s story content to go through
- The game looks really really good in motion
- He also heard Retro was considering adding cameos like Donkey Kong

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Sounds better than it being diddy kong racing based to me IMO. It also said Smash is aiming for an October release date.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
looks like Liam wasn't joking, someone summed up his podcast and has given us more information.

- You shoot enemies to propel forward and get combos; you can shoot other players too
- Each Grand Prix is three tracks with a boss fight- where the boss comes onto the track

One more thing. He also heard it was a 2019 game, but wouldn’t be surprised if it was a 2018 game.

Sounds better than it being diddy kong racing based to me IMO. It also said Smash is aiming for an October release date.
That sounds SO much better omg, a star fox game with racing elements is so much better than a star fox racing game. Still unsure of it being handed off to ANOTHER developer assuming this is true but I trust retro.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

This here is worth smiling at everytime I see it.
what a rad picture, i can only hope it comes to pass

Gagnetar Gagnetar that sounds pretty promising, it's a blend of old and new. if its got multiplayer then there must be multiple character options, and hopefully you-know-who is one of them.

semi-related note: i'd love to see samus cameo in a star fox game. if Donkey Kong can show up then so can she.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I wonder though, if this is a kind of spin-off but not really made by another developer are we going back to the old universe? the zero one? a new one? This series is a mess lmao

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I wonder though, if this is a kind of spin-off but not really made by another developer are we going back to the old universe? the zero one? a new one? This series is a mess lmao
Zero isn't a new canon, even if it was it wouldn't affect a spin-off, these kinds of games like bulky rosters, especially if there's going to be a hub-world where you interact with characters. I definitely expect Krystal to be playable in it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If it's as F-Zero style as some people think, a roster of 30+ characters would not be out of the question for a Star Fox racer. That's going to be hard to fill but Krystal is easily in the top ten most likely playable characters. If she's not in the rumoured game, regardless of roster size, I'd be very surprised and maybe a little offended.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Still though, a Star Fox racing game seems really risky. Star Fox has always been the testing grounds for new ideas and features, so there's got to be something innovative to try and bring players in. After Star Fox Zero, a racing game, shooter-esque or not, isn't something I can see selling too well.

I'll probably buy it anyways, but I don't know if Star Fox can withstand two poor titles in a row.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Done well, I would love to see the "Star Fox meets F-Zero" that's existed in cameos since GX but those first two words are important.

Some have said Diddy Kong Racing inspiration but, if so, they'll have to be careful. Building upon the adventure side would be an excellent way to keep the story present and maybe give us some of the feel of Adventures. While letting us use the lasers would keep it tied to arwing combat and, with health bars, provide more of a Wipeout style.

What I absolutely do not want ever again, though, is for them to turn it into a crappy Mario Kart ripoff like that DS remake.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

This is all sounding good if true.

I wonder if it has Landmaster courses.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I still think GP is intended to be an appetizer game to hold people over until the big game (hopefully Lylat System) is revealed, or as a distraction to keep Shiggy away from the new Star Fox game

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
I still think GP is intended to be an appetizer game to hold people over until the big game (hopefully Lylat System) is revealed, or as a distraction to keep Shiggy away from the new Star Fox game
If there turned out to be a title more akin to a traditional Star Fox title (quite possibly something like Lylat System) being released, I would love it if this supposed Grand Prix game released simultaneously alongside it, kinda like what happened with the release of Zero/Guard. It would allow for both an entirely new entry which focused primarily on the space shooting aspects the series is known for to be released, alongside what sounds like quite an interesting and somewhat nostalgic (in terms of harking back to the gameplay of F-Zero and Diddy Kong Racing) spin-off which could still provide a highly enjoyable experience for the player, whilst at the same time expanding the lore and what we know of the series' universe and characters.

I suppose given that GP sounds more like it would be a full priced title based on the content supposedly included, as opposed to Guards budget price which had a smaller amount of content, that'd probably be unlikely. But I know that a limited edition set that would include both titles with a few extra goodies would be an instant day one purchase for me at least. While the thoughts of what they may announce regarding the series still scares me somewhat as it could really influence the direction the series goes in terms of its gameplay, or even how long till another entry gets announced afterwards, these recent news posts and rumours really has me excited for what may or may not come this year, and points towards what could potentially be a very interesting and influential time for the series, more so than what we've seen in the last 10 or so years.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So, after over a month of work, I've finally completed a moveset concept for Krystal. One reason why it took so long was because I was trying to keep her movements somewhat realistic. Having trained with a bo staff myself, I set a few rules in place. If I could not replicate the move, find a video of someone else doing the move, find the move in Star Fox Adventures, or be able to explain the movement, then the move was scrapped. I think in the end, I've made a pretty viable moveset for her. Feedback appreciated.
Name: Krystal
Series: Star Fox
First Appearance: Star Fox Adventures (2002)
Archetype: Defensive Staff User
Gimmick: Staff Energy Meter

Overview

Overall, Krystal’s moveset takes heavy inspiration from Star Fox Adventures, as well as many real-world bo staff techniques. Krystal fights using her Cerinian Staff from Star Fox Adventures, although she does have some attacks without use of the staff. This makes Krystal very unique, not just in comparison to the rest of the Star Fox cast, but there is also no staff-based fighter yet seen in Smash.

Krystal is a defensive fighter, with plenty of long-ranged jabs and pokes using her staff to keep opponents at a distance. A lot of her attack animations require positioning, so one of her flaws is that some of her attacks have a somewhat slow start-up. However, her animations were designed to always end in a position where Krystal can quickly recover from.

There is a small gimmick to Krystal’s moveset, being her staff’s energy meter. Used by her staff’s various upgrades, this energy meter drains as she uses her special moves. When those moves are not being used, the energy meter slowly regenerates on its own, but it builds back up even faster when moves connect.

Attributes

Height: 5’7”

Weight: 77

Jump Heights
  • Ground: 40
  • Short: 17
  • Midair: 40
Air Speed: 1

Fall Speed
  • Normal Fall: 1.4
  • Fast-Fall: 2.24
Movement Speed
  • Walk: 1
  • Dash: 1.45
Normals

Neutral: Based off the neutral staff combo from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal’s Neutral is a four-hit attack using her Cerinian Staff. First input, Krystal leans in close for a jab with the butt of the staff into the opponent’s side. Second input, Krystal does wide swing with head of the staff, slamming it into the other side of the opponent. The third input leads into a 360° turning kick, where both legs have a hit box. First leg primes the opponent for the second, of which is the stronger combo finisher.

Dash: As she is sprinting, Krystal makes a leap forward, slamming the head of the staff straight down onto her opponent. Slower start-up, but great range and knockback. The staff itself does damage, but being hit by the head of the staff will spike an opponent. Useful, as the attack’s range can reach beyond a ledge. Based off the downward swing attacks from Star Fox Adventures.

Tilts

Side Tilt: Krystal sends her staff forward with a strong thrust. She leans into this attack, and combined with the staff’s length, makes this move a very long range poke. Can be angled to be slightly upward or downward. The head of the staff deals more damage and knockback.

Up Tilt: Based off an attack from Star Fox Adventures, Krystal lowers the head of the staff near the opponents feet, and raises it for an uppercut thrust. This launches opponents off their feet into the air, and makes for a perfect primer for follow-up attacks. The head of the staff does more damage and knockback.

Down Tilt: Krystal squats down and kicks her leg out to the side and performs a quick 45° leg sweep. Very quick attack, and great for set-ups.

Smashes

Side Smash: Krystal performs a small jump while making a 360° spin in the air. As she comes down, she slams the head of the staff into the opponent. The attack grants invincibility frames during the mid-air spin. Relatively slow start-up, but one of the strongest forward smashes when hit with the head of the staff. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Up Smash: Krystal couches down while charging, positioning the staff upright. She then shoots up onto her toes, shoving the staff straight upward with both arms. This attack has one of the highest vertical ranges in the series. Immensely powerful, especially if hit by the head of the staff at the end of the attack. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Down Smash: Krystal performs a 360° spin, kneeling down and performing a one-handed sweeping motion with the staff. One of Krystal’s few moves that hit behind her. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Aerials

Neutral Air: Krystal twists her upper body to the side and performs a skip catch spin. The 360° staff spin hits on both sides of her, due to the staff’s length, and hits multiple times. Autocancels after a short-hop, making it great for short hop approaches.

Forward Air: Krystal raised her staff upward, then violently slams the staff downward with both hands for a wide-arcing attack. If the head of the staff lands on an opponent during the downwards swing, it results in a meteor smash.

Back Air: Krystal turns around, swinging the staff one-handedly in an upwards arc. Has great range and knockback, especially if hit with the head of the staff, and autocancels after a short hop. Strong kill move.

Up Air: Krystal raises her staff using a close-grip and spins it in a helicopter-like fashion. With the staff centered above her, it covers a wide area. Great for juggling opponents.

Down Air: Krystal tucks her staff in and leans forward, performing a somersault motion. During the somersault, she sticks her tail out, creating a 90° downward facing swing. The last portion of her tail is the sweet spot, meteor smashing anyone who gets hit.

Throws

Grab: Krystal reaches forward with her back hand, while shifting her grip on the staff with the other hand. While holding an opponent, she keeps them at arm’s length and the staff is held where the head is pointed straight at the victim's chest.

Pummel: Using the head of the staff, Krystal repeatedly jabs it into the victim’s chest or abdomen. A slower pummel, but deals high percent damage.

Forward Throw: Krystal lets go of the grabbed victim and raises the bottom of the staff up for a small uppercut to stun the opponent. Once the staff is in a horizontal position, Krystal swiftly jabs them with the butt of the staff. Strong horizontal knockback.

Back Throw: Krystal positions the opponent behind her, then plants the end of her staff into the ground. Krystal then lifts herself up, and using the staff as a vault, performs a strong flying kick into the opponent’s back.

Up Throw: Krystal kneels down on one knee as she’s placing the upper half the staff underneath the grabbed opponent. Krystal then uses all her weight to force the other half of the staff down, using her knee as a fulcrum. Thus, shooting the grabbed opponent into the air. Strong kill move.

Down Throw: As she steps to the side, Krystal slams the opponent down onto the ground. She then lifts up her staff and performs a downward, vertical thrust into the victim’s spine. Easy to follow up with.

Get-Ups

Front Get-Up: Krystal pops up and around into a kneeling position, then spins the staff once around her neck.

Back Get-Up: Krystal sits up into a kneeling position and spins the staff once around her neck.

Trip Get-Up: Krystal spins the staff once around her neck.

Ledge Attack: Krystal does a hard, one-armed swing with the staff across the ground.

Specials

Neutral Special: Fire Blast - This attack shoots a fiery projectile from the end of the staff, and consumes a very small amount of the staff’s energy meter. This attack cannot be charged or prolonged by holding its input. The fire blasts travel quickly, and do not expire after a certain distance.

Side Special: Ice Blast - This attack spouts an icy blast from the end of the staff. Holding down its input will cause the effects and range of the attack to become greater. If an enemy is within the ice blast for too long, they become frozen. The attack consumes a small amount of the staff’s energy meter, but the longer it’s held, the faster it drains.

Up Special: Rocket Boost - For this attack, Krystal places the staff in front of her and is boosted straight upwards. The longer the input is held, the faster and further the Rocket Boost carries Krystal. The more charge, the more energy consumed. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Down Special: Ground Quake - For this attack, Krystal lifts the staff above her head, then slams it onto the ground, causing an earthquake. The longer the input is held, the more range and power the Ground Quake will have. The more charge, the more energy consumed. While charging, a small blue aura travels from the butt of the staff to the staff’s head. Used as a measure of how much charge the attack has.

Final Smash: CloudRunner Raid - Krystal’s Final Smash is based off of the opening to Star Fox Adventures, where Krystal rides a CloudRunner as she attacks General Scales’ ship. For her Final Smash, Krystal summons the same CloudRunner, who carries her to the foreground of the stage. From here, Krystal uses her overcharged staff to fire powerful blasts onto the stage. No limit to blasts fired during the 15 seconds it is active.

Defenses

Shield: Krystal kneels down, standing the staff upright as it creates a force field around her. The force field does not shrink when hit, preventing shield stabbing. Rather, the blue force field will become more and more transparent. This is based off the Force Field staff ability from Star Fox Adventures.

Sidestep Dodge: Krystal tucks the staff in close and pivots to the side off her foot.

Forward Roll: Krystal plants the end of her staff into the ground in front of her and uses it to vault herself from Point A to B. As she vaults, she simply pulls herself up along the side of the staff.

Backward Roll: Krystal plants the end of her staff into the ground behind her and uses it to vault herself form Point A to B. As she vaults, she positions her body more horizontally, rather than upright. Based off the backwards dodge from Star Fox Adventures.

Extras

Entrance: Krystal flys in on the CloudRunner from the Star Fox Adventures opening.

Stance: Basically, Krystal’s pose in the Smashified Artwork.

Idle Animations
  • Animation 1: Krystal positions her staff across her upper back and shoulders, then twists from side to side to stretch.
  • Animation 2: Krystal stands the staff upright with one arm, closes her eyes, and looks down while placing her fingers against her temple.
Taunts
  • Up Taunt: Based off her victory animation from Star Fox: Assault, Krystal stands her staff upright with one hand, and leans forward. She shakes her finger with her free hand and says “You’re not ready yet!”

• Side Taunt: Krystal swings her staff one-handedly to the side and shouts “Is that the best you can do?”

• Down Taunt: Krystal leans back on one leg and twirls the staff three times with one hand by her side as she remarks “Had enough?”
Victory Animations
  • Animation 1: Krystal performs a 4-point strike, before twirling the staff behind her.
  • Animation 2: Krystal spins the staff and launches it into the air, catching it and holding the pose.
  • Animation 3: Krystal sheaths the staff on her back and turns to the CloudRunner beside her, closing her eyes and resting her head on the CloudRunner’s beak as she says “Thank-you.”
Special Victory Dialogue
  • Victory vs. Fox: “I told you, Fox, I can handle myself!” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Fox: “Hope I didn’t hit you too hard.” - Fox
  • Victory vs. Falco: “You should stick to the air, Falco.” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Falco: “Don’t worry about it, you’re improving.” - Falco
  • Victory vs. Slippy: “Hurts when Fox isn’t here to watch your back, huh?” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Slippy: “That staff can’t beat my tech!” - Slippy
  • Victory vs. Wolf: “Joining you was a mistake, Wolf!” - Krystal
  • Defeat vs. Wolf: “Can’t believe I let you fly with us.” - Wolf

Top Bottom