• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem with the walker is that they pulled it from a very old unreleased game to make it appear that a nod was being given to the series' history, without seeming to have considered the reason that the walker originally existed: To provide ground-based gameplay in an era when the 3D technology of the time - an on-cartridge chip that augmented the abilities of a 16-bit console that, itself, only handled some scaling and rotation natively - did not allow for recognisable models of the characters to be used for that. (As Gagnetar Gagnetar mentioned above, this amounted to "research" that also later contributed to games running on hardware that could handle this.)

By the time Star Fox Zero was made, Adventures and Assault had already done on-foot gameplay to varying degrees, and the walker seemed like a bit of a step backwards.

To be fair here, this was probably only partly due to the conversion between Dinosaur Planet and Star Fox Adventures. Though we know a little about Dinosaur Planet's endgame, that's all there is - it's said that the ending hadn't been fully fleshed-out before the conversion began, and coupled with the time-pressure, Adventures' endgame was the result.
Yeah I'm fairly positive that the walker was Miyamoto's homage to the unreleased Star Fox 2. As it was one of the main mechanics in the game and said game remained "unreleased."

The walker most certainly was a step backwards, but I would say that's far from the reason Zero didn't do well. I'm pretty sure it's more of the fact that it was 64 redone again with the controls
One thing still confusing me about the ballot, Bayonetta was the highest voted negotiable and realisable character. What does that mean?

She was no. 1 in Europe and among the top 5 in America so I'm taking that to mean that characters above her were too tricky to implement as DLC (Inkling with paint mechanics for example), that only Snake came out ahead and Konami was still in their "friendship ended with videogames, Pachinko is my best friend now" phase, or Japan and America filled the top with rubbish like Goku and Shrek.

I guess the only way we'll have any idea is when the next game comes out and who the first characters revealed are.

Though looking at the other games, Melee's reveal played the game's intro making Peach and Bowser the first reveals (and confusing people who thought Ridley and Wolf were in), Brawl had Meta Knight (followed by Pit, Zamus, Wario & Snake) and 3DS/WiiU had the Villager and Mega Man.

I'd like for Krystal to be one of the first (just to get the salt done with up front) but logically a Splatoon character would be the first reveal for 4 Deluxe or 5.
That actually wouldn't surprise me that joke characters would be in the top 5. There are a lot of Jokesters on the internet so that's just expected. You see that on polls everywhere.
Indeed, Inklings are likely to be the Villager of the next Smash, being the first newcomer reveal that's a highly requested rep.
If they go down the same route as Smash 4 with the Nintendo Direct reveals, then Krystal would probably be one of the middle newcomers revealed, likely with a Starfox themed trailer complete with the return of Wolf like what was mentioned a few pages back. Her and Wolf wouldn't generate extreme hype that the first few or last few characters would, but she's popular enough to not have to be revealed after the release like Bowser Jr or DHD was.
Yeah I fully expect the inklings reveal for the next game whether it be a port or not, and possibly in the first slot like you all have been saying. Splatoon has been very successful and getting a new character from that makes sense. I think we will see both Krystal and Wolf in the next installment if we're going to get any characters from Star Fox. It just makes sense because she is a highly requested character and there's a lot of unhappy fans because of Wolf's removal. That would actually be funny if she ends up being revealed first if they do reveal her. lol.
Oh interesting bit of information, do you guys remember that pro-fighters chart that Smokey posted? well the two fighters who expressed interest in Krystal (ZeRo and Nakat) are apart of the Back Room here which apparently is a type of board that determines tournament rules and they are on the smash 4 team, according the wikia would make about 33% of the board between the two. If they are interested in the smash tournament scene I'd imagine they'd be aware of the smashboards then, so keeping Krystal up and popular on this board may actually be a worthwhile investment even if they completely decided the roster before this thread, the brawl thread is quite popular and this thread being popular could just add to her chances if for some reason she isn't in the base game and comes up as DLC later.
That's actually very interesting... I didn't know that. That does make things look considerably more positive for the character.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Realizable does infact mean excluding obvious ****ty joke picks with shrek and goku, it also includes anything not originating from a game or 3rd party characters that might not have been able to be legally obtained quickly enough like Banjo within that time table. It probably also includes but is not directly mentioned that the fighter has an interesting kit. I know that Bayo did well but I want hard numbers to show that she feels a little too convenient but i guess that's just what those would mean,
I strongly suspect that the vague "*Of realisable characters" disclaimer also could have included characters who had already been reserved as big-hitters for the next game (who they didn't want to "waste" on DLC for a pair of aging titles), which we know from the Bandai-Namco "Smash 6" job-listing began production three years and one month ago.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention characters tied up in other roles like Waluigi and Ridley.

34 and a half days until E3 in any case. If Smash comes up first, it's a port, if saved for the end, they're gonna give Sakurai some bionic hands.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

34 and a half days until E3 in any case. If Smash comes up first, it's a port, if saved for the end, they're gonna give Sakurai some bionic hands.
Nathan "Rad" Spencer and Jax confirmed for next Smash.

While a new game would be nice, I'm still betting on a port for now. It still feels too early for the next true installment given how short lived the Wii U was. Plus I highly doubt Sakurai would go straight into working on Smash yet again after making two of them. He is working on a different project of his own at the moment as well, so I hope we'll get to see what that is.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I strongly suspect that the vague "*Of realisable characters" disclaimer also could have included characters who had already been reserved as big-hitters for the next game (who they didn't want to "waste" on DLC for a pair of aging titles), which we know from the Bandai-Namco "Smash 6" job-listing began production three years and one month ago.
That's an interesting angle, You can run out of good picks pretty quickly when we take all the criteria into consideration and hype building for a new title would take precedence. Going right into a sequel sounds kinda nuts but the switch isn't exactly a standard console and they probably saw it as a final gambit then. Now with it being quite the perfect game for their monstrously promising console a big focus on the game is likely been underway.

I'm convinced that Waluigi was included just because of him being a popular internet trend, That and the firm stance of Ridley not making it as a playable fighter though it would be weird to have both consolation prizes and playable fighters in the same game you're right. Ridley's final shot is probably with this set of games, If the ballot doesn't convince them to rethink Ridley then I think his chances are gone.

Nathan "Rad" Spencer and Jax confirmed for next Smash.

While a new game would be nice, I'm still betting on a port for now. It still feels too early for the next true installment given how short lived the Wii U was. Plus I highly doubt Sakurai would go straight into working on Smash yet again after making two of them. He is working on a different project of his own at the moment as well, so I hope we'll get to see what that is.
The game could have started without him already during that period, though that seems unlikely. The company likely wants to abandon the Wii U and the concept of a port of smash isn't a new idea considering Iwata proposed a port to Sakurai to begin with. Both is possible but that'd be pretty funny for the competitive scene to have 2 different smash 4's and then hailed full title. Though i doubt that would be taken into consideration.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
My bet is on a new game that uses the current engine, since having an easily-portable engine that can scale between wildly varying architectures was always very obviously a field-test for the then-future hybrid machine (I've been saying that for years, now, since long before we knew what the Switch was, since market-trends made it clear :laugh:).

Moreover, "Smash 6" began production three years and one month ago. We know from numerous reports from tiny third-party companies, some of them consisting of only two people, that it only takes hours to days to get a port up and running on the Switch - more than three years from a 200-strong first-party team for a mere port is not plausible, to my mind, given this.

The game could have started without him already during that period, though that seems unlikely.
It very likely was started without him. In April 2014, Sakurai was still tied up with what he would later refer to as "Smash 4" (Smash 3DS) and "Smash 5" (Smash Wii U), but Bandai-Namco were recruiting for the "Smash 6" team then. Moreover, we know that Sakurai went on an extended break from his games industry work (both development and magazine writing) immediately after Smash 3DS/Wii U's DLC programme wrapped, so he wouldn't have been involved then, either.

Moreover, without Satoru Iwata to keep persuading him to work on Smash again, for all we know, he might not come back for another one at all. :p

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
My bet is on a new game that uses the current engine, since having an easily-portable engine that can scale between wildly varying architectures was always very obviously a field-test for the then-future hybrid machine (I've been saying that for years, now, since long before we knew what the Switch was, since market-trends made it clear :laugh:).

Moreover, "Smash 6" began production three years and one month ago. We know from numerous reports from tiny third-party companies, some of them consisting of only two people, that it only takes hours to days to get a port up and running on the Switch - more than three years from a 200-strong first-party team for a mere port is not plausible, to my mind, given this.

It very likely was started without him. In April 2014, Sakurai was still tied up with what he would later refer to as "Smash 4" (Smash 3DS) and "Smash 5" (Smash Wii U), but Bandai-Namco were recruiting for the "Smash 6" team then. Moreover, we know that Sakurai went on an extended break from his games industry work (both development and magazine writing) immediately after Smash 3DS/Wii U's DLC programme wrapped, so he wouldn't have been involved then, either.

Moreover, without Satoru Iwata to keep persuading him to work on Smash again, for all we know, he might not come back for another one at all. :p
The plot thickens, I feel like the base we have with smash 4/5 is excellent to work off of and there's reason to believe that it is with that article on sourcegaming stating that a change to the game's file architecture suggests that it's being used in some regard for the future. The concept of it not being a standard port in the vein of MK8 deluxe but something that uses largely existing assests to make a fully fledged new title does seem more likely now as I think it's impractical to make two different smashes for a single console, that a port for such a focused on game might leave everyone short and that using the existing assets that everyone largely likes would speed up development, letting the title be released quickly while keeping a high amount of content to please everyone.

Without Sakurai I fear for Krystal's chances as a fighter, hopefully he'll at least retain his role as the guy who picks fighters in some regard.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
The plot thickens, I feel like the base we have with smash 4/5 is excellent to work off of and there's reason to believe that it is with that article on sourcegaming stating that a change to the game's file architecture suggests that it's being used in some regard for the future. The concept of it not being a standard port in the vein of MK8 deluxe but something that uses largely existing assests to make a fully fledged new title does seem more likely now as I think it's impractical to make two different smashes for a single console, that a port for such a focused on game might leave everyone short and that using the existing assets that everyone largely likes would speed up development, letting the title be released quickly while keeping a high amount of content to please everyone.

Without Sakurai I fear for Krystal's chances as a fighter, hopefully he'll at least retain his role as the guy who picks fighters in some regard.
Although Sakurai may not be actively working on Smash he still is the father of the franchise and him not taking any part in it at all wouldn't make sense. I am 100% positive he would still be there in somewhat of an advisory role so you can expect him to still be there helping choose characters at least... you know... the simple stuff. Kinda like how Miyamoto is with Star Fox(except he likes to experiment and that's his biggest strength and downfall at the same time). I know if I was responsible for one of the most popular franchises in gaming history I'd like to be a part of it still. It's human nature.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I dont think I ever mentioned it, but just in case if anyone saw that shirt design contest yu probably saw what design won. If you're not familiar, to make a long story short, Star Fox did get a winning choice but it's design is probably the worst next to the few others that were shown in this video. I say this because the generic shirt the NYC Store has that only has the logo on it has more appeal over it, on top of the few other fan made options you can find.
Funny enough I did enter, this was my submission though the finished image had the logo behind them and title placed below them, with the color of the shirt being blue. I could swear I kept the files saved but perhaps I didnt see any reason to.

SF Girls.png

I probably should've thrown Miyu in there but honestly I coudnt figure out how, plus her pattern felt too complicated at the time.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I dont think I ever mentioned it, but just in case if anyone saw that shirt design contest yu probably saw what design won. If you're not familiar, to make a long story short, Star Fox did get a winning choice but it's design is probably the worst next to the few others that were shown in this video. I say this because the generic shirt the NYC Store has that only has the logo on it has more appeal over it, on top of the few other fan made options you can find.
Funny enough I did enter, this was my submission though the finished image had the logo behind them and title placed below them, with the color of the shirt being blue. I could swear I kept the files saved but perhaps I didnt see any reason to.

View attachment 129016

I probably should've thrown Miyu in there but honestly I coudnt figure out how, plus her pattern felt too complicated at the time.
The T-shirt that won is very curious looking, the designs of both the ships and the pilots themselves throw me off. Funny none of those characters were featured together in the same game, Whoever that asian girl pretending to be Katt can't fool me!
Putting SF2 characters probably hindered your design, and I doubt that there was a chance of something focused on females winning, Best chance would have been a dynamic team shot with Krystal in it.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
That long ago huh? I'm feeling older and older.
Time flies, we could be cheering and screaming into the night or crying into a coma before we know it. I think being on this forum though has made me really expect smash at E3 when it could very well be boring asf. Reggie seems convinced it'll be an interesting E3 this year. They've already shown Mario and Zelda so that leaves Pokemon and Smash as notable big hitters, well i'm getting sick of saying this but we just have to wait.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just hope E3's not just them going on about Splatoon 2 and ARMS. They look cool but we know about them already.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 129016

Oh yeah I saw that a while back. I really didn't like the winning Star Fox designs. They looked like the artist took too many creative liberties with the characters and made his very own modern art of them lol. I really liked your shirts design, your art style is really cute. But yeah it probably needed to have a team shot with her in it like Gagnetar Gagnetar was saying. They tend to like seeing their more main cast members being displayed, especially on a shirt that would be winning the competition because it would be displayed.

Time flies, we could be cheering and screaming into the night or crying into a coma before we know it. I think being on this forum though has made me really expect smash at E3 when it could very well be boring asf. Reggie seems convinced it'll be an interesting E3 this year. They've already shown Mario and Zelda so that leaves Pokemon and Smash as notable big hitters, well i'm getting sick of saying this but we just have to wait.
Yeah I am with you there. Though time is seemingly traveling pretty slow for me lol. thirty four days really isn't too long of a wait. I am sure everyone here has waited much longer for other things throughout their lives. haha

And yeah E3 last year was super boring because all Nintendo had to show was Zelda for their main game showcase. This year I think we will see a lot of bigger releases for Nintendo because it's last few E3's have been pretty stale. Either way with the major switch release this year and the biggest complaint from owners of the new console being that not enough first party games are available to play we can expect nothing less than a huge E3 this year for Nintendo. Reggie has said that Metroid AND Smash will be addressed soon, will that be at E3 though. We don't know.
I just hope E3's not just them going on about Splatoon 2 and ARMS. They look cool but we know about them already.
Well we all know both of those games may be there. Arms still comes out the day after E3 although they could reserve that slot for another game as its pretty pointless to showcase a game thats coming out a day later. But I'm certain Splatoon 2 will be there. I agree with you though, I don't want to see much of that there at all. But I can say with certainty it will not be about JUST those games, they can't risk negative publicity for the switch and at the moment they need to keep building momentum if they want to keep people buying switches and not showing anything new at E3 would hurt them more than it would help.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I saw that a while back. I really didn't like the winning Star Fox designs. They looked like the artist took too many creative liberties with the characters and made his very own modern art of them lol. I really liked your shirts design, your art style is really cute. But yeah it probably needed to have a team shot with her in it like [USER]@Gagnetar[/USER] was saying. They tend to like seeing their more main cast members being displayed, especially on a shirt that would be winning the competition because it would be displayed.

Yeah I am with you there. Though time is seemingly traveling pretty slow for me lol. thirty four days really isn't too long of a wait. I am sure everyone here has waited much longer for other things throughout their lives. haha

And yeah E3 last year was super boring because all Nintendo had to show was Zelda for their main game showcase. This year I think we will see a lot of bigger releases for Nintendo because it's last few E3's have been pretty stale. Either way with the major switch release this year and the biggest complaint from owners of the new console being that not enough first party games are available to play we can expect nothing less than a huge E3 this year for Nintendo. Reggie has said that Metroid AND Smash will be addressed soon, will that be at E3 though. We don't know.

Well we all know both of those games may be there. Arms still comes out the day after E3 although they could reserve that slot for another game as its pretty pointless to showcase a game thats coming out a day later. But I'm certain Splatoon 2 will be there. I agree with you though, I don't want to see much of that there at all. But I can say with certainty it will not be about JUST those games, they can't risk negative publicity for the switch and at the moment they need to keep building momentum if they want to keep people buying switches and not showing anything new at E3 would hurt them more than it would help.
I saw that we should ask about metroid this year, which I presume will be during E3, no mention of Smash so it's either cooking or they're just hiding it for us. I don't even remember when smash 4 was announced, But i'd love to see this console hit hard and fast with big titles.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I saw that we should ask about metroid this year, which I presume will be during E3, no mention of Smash so it's either cooking or they're just hiding it for us. I don't even remember when smash 4 was announced, But i'd love to see this console hit hard and fast with big titles.
6 years ago during E3 2011 was when it was first announced that they'd be making Smash Bros. for both systems. Time flies doesn't it? Though that said, Smash For will only be 3 years old this September.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
6 years ago during E3 2011 was when it was first announced that they'd be making Smash Bros. for both systems. Time flies doesn't it? Though that said, Smash For will only be 3 years old this September.
It was announced that ahead of it's release? I don't have any doubts of smash 6 news for E3 then. Hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen this is going to be a wild ride. Considering that the roster wasn't completely chosen until may 2012 for smash 4 everything that happens now is crucial for her chances, a starfox on 25th anniversary with her and us keeping her popular on the net are what we need to do. Come on guys we can do this!.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It was far far too early and I hope they never pull that **** again. I'm all for a good tease but I haven't that kind of endurance. ;_;

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It was far far too early and I hope they never pull that **** again. I'm all for a good tease but I haven't that kind of endurance. ;_;
I definitely agree that it was a too early, though at the same time I have a sort of love/hate relationship when it comes to the wait and trickle of information leading up to release. The wait for Smash For was agonizingly exciting it that makes any sense. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I definitely agree that it was a too early, though at the same time I have a sort of love/hate relationship when it comes to the wait and trickle of information leading up to release. The wait for Smash For was agonizingly exciting it that makes any sense. :p
It's hard to call two years of basic silence the trickle approach. Like literally since it was announced at E3 2011 to its first trailer in E3 2013 all we had was like one or two Sakurai quotes, the reveal of Namco's involvement a year in, and a drawing on a whiteboard.

The information trickle is what happens when Sakurai starts posting on Miiverse or the DOJO was up and running, and that I'm totally fine with. That's pretty entertaining to follow, especially since Sakurai is such a merciless troll. :p

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's hard to call two years of basic silence the trickle approach. Like literally since it was announced at E3 2011 to its first trailer in E3 2013 all we had was like one or two Sakurai quotes, the reveal of Namco's involvement a year in, and a drawing on a whiteboard.

The information trickle is what happens when Sakurai starts posting on Miiverse or the DOJO was up and running, and that I'm totally fine with. That's pretty entertaining to follow, especially since Sakurai is such a merciless troll. :p
I probably should've specified that I meant in general not necessarily Smash For in particular for that first sentence. Though you're absolutely right, I guess I just didn't remember it taking that long. Once the info started coming though I just kind of got absorbed into it. It was Brawl all over again for me.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I personally hate being left in the dark and want to know everything as soon as possible. So that I can know what fighters they've chosen. Also you gave me such an impression of hopelessness, If you feel she's really that unlikely why support her? I'm only here because I think her shot is pretty high.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm not that worried, myself - the teams at Bandai-Namco have shown time and again that they have a great love for Nintendo's franchises, and they've done great work with every Nintendo game that they've co-developed. And since they were responsible for Star Fox Assault - the only post-Adventures game that treated Krystal with good regard - I'm even less worried about her chances with them in charge. :laugh:

Although Sakurai may not be actively working on Smash he still is the father of the franchise and him not taking any part in it at all wouldn't make sense.
It makes perfect sense - he doesn't own any rights to the series, and one day it will go on without his involvement, just the same as the likes of Metroid and Kid Icarus have gone on without their creators, and so on.

On that note, we have this information: When the Switch Presentation took place in January, Sakurai was surprised by features of the Switch that, if he was working on software for the system, he would have already known about.

I am 100% positive he would still be there in somewhat of an advisory role so you can expect him to still be there helping choose characters at least... you know... the simple stuff.
This wouldn't surprise me at all.

I know if I was responsible for one of the most popular franchises in gaming history I'd like to be a part of it still. It's human nature.
It's human nature, but it's not how copyright laws work.

Well, we have this, for now, and I think that it's pretty telling;

Nikkei - Nintendo president cautious of 10 million Switch target, wants major releases 3rd party content ASAP

Coming from Nikkei...

Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima struck a cautious note with reporters on April 27, saying, "I don't think we can readily achieve the target [of selling 10 million consoles]." Based on the console's strong initial momentum, though, some analysts say Nintendo might do even better. Yasuo Imanaka at Rakuten Securities' research division said he expects to see 14 million Switches sold. Other market watchers, too, expect the company to beat the target.

Many analysts have the impression that Nintendo has learned from its mistakes with its previous console, the Wii U. The company has sought to make it easier to create games for the Switch by expanding the scope of development tools. It is also pushing developers to expand the Switch game lineup quickly. An executive at one software company said Nintendo asked it to introduce major releases "as early as possible."

Nothing wrong with being cautious about Switch sales, especially after how the Wii U went. As for the request for major releases, I would love to know what company Nintendo reached out to!
If Nintendo is requesting third-parties to get major games out on the Switch as early as possible so as to help its momentum, then I'm fairly sure that they'll more-or-less be requiring first-party teams to make every possible effort to do the same.

Exciting times, for sure! :grin:

But I'm certain Splatoon 2 will be there.
Splatoon 2 is going to have a pre-release exhibition tournament broadcast from E3 (the contestants will be the winners of a recent US Splatoon 1 tournament).

It was too early, but unfortunately, it was done for a reason - the 3DS had just recovered from a problematic launch, and, even by then, they probably would have known that the Wii U was going to be in for trouble, because, as we all know, the Wii U inherited the problems that plagued the 3DS during its launch - the difference was that the 3DS was able to recover. It was necessary to try to help both systems out.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I personally hate being left in the dark and want to know everything as soon as possible. So that I can know what fighters they've chosen.
Yeah, I think most people are in that boat. Which is why those years of basically nothing are killer. Unfortunately I'm pretty used to it at this point, haha. I guess that's why people who are chomping at the bit for port/Smash 5 info are a bit perplexing, considering we usually have to wait years and years between Smash stuff, not one or two.

Also you gave me such an impression of hopelessness, If you feel she's really that unlikely why support her? I'm only here because I think her shot is pretty high.
Support shouldn't be contingent on chance, it should be contingent upon desire.

I don't believe Krystal will be included any time soon but that doesn't make me want her less. It doesn't change the character.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
considering we usually have to wait years and years between Smash stuff, not one or two.
There seems to be nothing ruling out a 64 to Melee case again, though - especially not in a case like the Switch, where there's a scalable engine ready-prepared, a mysterious job-listing that suggests a longer development time than any Smash previously made, a need for immediate and ongoing momentum-building, and recent remarks about maintaining buzz throughout the year and leveraging multi-player games in order to build momentum.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There seems to be nothing ruling out a 64 to Melee case again, though - especially not in a case like the Switch, where there's a scalable engine ready-prepared, a mysterious job-listing that suggests a longer development time than any Smash previously made, a need for immediate and ongoing momentum-building, and recent remarks about maintaining buzz throughout the year and leveraging multi-player games in order to build momentum.
I'm not saying waiting years is whats going to happen, I'm saying that's what the precedent was.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm not saying waiting years is whats going to happen, I'm saying that's what the precedent was.
I know. ;)

I just hope that it's not the case this time. :laugh: A console's early days, in cases where backwards-compatibility has had to be dropped, are always a little sparse, and it doesn't quite feel to me like the full library/experience is here on the Switch just yet. When I can stop alternating between my Switch and 3DS, then the core stuff is all there, for me.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Support shouldn't be contingent on chance, it should be contingent upon desire.

I don't believe Krystal will be included any time soon but that doesn't make me want her less. It doesn't change the character.
I suppose that's where we differ, I need both to rally behind a character, Otherwise it's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I know. ;)

I just hope that it's not the case this time. :laugh: A console's early days, in cases where backwards-compatibility has had to be dropped, are always a little sparse, and it doesn't quite feel to me like the full library/experience is here on the Switch just yet. When I can stop alternating between my Switch and 3DS, then the core stuff is all there, for me.
I'm still not sure why it's selling so rapidly, I'm personally not a Zelda fan so what's there for me? ports of older games? I'll wait until getting it until something strikes my fancy.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm still not sure why it's selling so rapidly, I'm personally not a Zelda fan so what's there for me? ports of older games? I'll wait until getting it until something strikes my fancy.
I'm not a Zelda fan, either, and I'm getting on just fine with what's already available, to be honest.

Super Bomberman R, FAST RMX, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have been particular favourites thus far, for me.

But I can perfectly understand wanting to wait, too.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a Zelda fan, either, and I'm getting on just fine with what's already available, to be honest.

Super Bomberman R, FAST RMX, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have been particular favourites thus far, for me.

I don't really tend to expand past my very specific interests, I'll probably only get it once smash comes out and perhaps a metroid and/or starfox. As is it looks to me like a nice and shiny shotgun with no shotgun shells anywhere but I guess that's not really the most popular angle. I do certainly hope they tell us something about atleast one of those this E3, and with the current track record of both that doesn't even assure they'd be appealing. Dylan's image of a new starfox sounds so promising so I'd like that. I think plat could make a great game if they were simply given a chance. As for metroid I hope Sakamoto realizes that "Samus has issues with coping" is a sure fire way to have people not like her and federation force isn't for metroid fans in same vein that teen titans go isn't for teen titan's fans. And smash has always been good so I don't really have much else to say other than Krystal pls.

AleZEEia

Smash Rookie
I'm with you brother! And ready for the call if it comes. Thanks for being the best supporter of this awesome character ever. I feel incredibly lucky to have had anything at all to do with her legacy. Keep up the amazing efforts! Lots of love to you all

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I'm with you brother! And ready for the call if it comes. Thanks for being the best supporter of this awesome character ever. I feel incredibly lucky to have had anything at all to do with her legacy. Keep up the amazing efforts! Lots of love to you all
Glad to know we still have your support <3 Do you actually main ZSS? that'd be pretty funny.

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I'm not that worried, myself - the teams at Bandai-Namco have shown time and again that they have a great love for Nintendo's franchises, and they've done great work with every Nintendo game that they've co-developed. And since they were responsible for Star Fox Assault - the only post-Adventures game that treated Krystal with good regard - I'm even less worried about her chances with them in charge. :laugh:
True! I can't really think of a game they did that I played and didn't enjoy. I can't say that I picked one up and didn't have fun with it to an extent.
It makes perfect sense - he doesn't own any rights to the series, and one day it will go on without his involvement, just the same as the likes of Metroid and Kid Icarus have gone on without their creators, and so on.

On that note, we have this information: When the Switch Presentation took place in January, Sakurai was surprised by features of the Switch that, if he was working on software for the system, he would have already known about.
The entire point of my post was that he has a very minor role... like picking characters with the possible playtests with the other devs for balancing/advice.
It's human nature, but it's not how copyright laws work.
Again moot point that didn't have much to do with what I was ACTUALLY saying.

Yeah I am currently on the waiting train as well. I actually own a copy of the switch version of BoTW that I can't play because I am still waiting for something that I actually want to see on the console. I do have money to spend... just not money to spend on games I'm not passionate about. Also a lack of time will do that to you. -_-
I don't really tend to expand past my very specific interests, I'll probably only get it once smash comes out and perhaps a metroid and/or starfox. As is it looks to me like a nice and shiny shotgun with no shotgun shells anywhere but I guess that's not really the most popular angle.
I'm with you there buddy. I am of the exact same beliefs in that regard and am waiting for those exact games to come out. lol
Oh hey! Welcome A AleZEEia . You're awesome. We will do our best to keep her alive! ^_^

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The entire point of my post was that he has a very minor role... like picking characters with the possible playtests with the other devs for balancing/advice.
Ah, ok, I must've misunderstood the post. I thought that your post said that it wouldn't make any sense for Sakurai not to work on future Smash games because he created the series, and that he might still end up being around in a small advisory role rather than his current large role of designer and director.

Again moot point that didn't have much to do with what I was ACTUALLY saying.
I responded to the wording as it appeared in the post, which stated that it would be human nature for Sakurai to want to be involved. I apologise again if I misunderstood.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Ah, ok, I must've misunderstood the post. I thought that your post said that it wouldn't make any sense for Sakurai not to work on future Smash games because he created the series, and that he might still end up being around in a small advisory role rather than his current large role of designer and director.

I responded to the wording as it appeared in the post, which stated that it would be human nature for Sakurai to want to be involved. I apologise again if I misunderstood.
It's alright man... I can totally understand why you would say that. I do tend to elaborate more than I have to sometimes and it ends up sounding like I'm saying more than I actually am. But yeah the main point I was sticking with was that he would have a super minor role as he is just so tired of the game as a whole. As he would say it's "daunting" to go back to and start from scratch every time with even more characters expected every future release. So basically what I was saying is he would probably be at the studio just talking to the devs about the game and maybe a few playtests with them in the balancing phase.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's alright man... I can totally understand why you would say that. I do tend to elaborate more than I have to sometimes and it ends up sounding like I'm saying more than I actually am. But yeah the main point I was sticking with was that he would have a super minor role as he is just so tired of the game as a whole. As he would say it's "daunting" to go back to and start from scratch every time with even more characters expected every future release. So basically what I was saying is he would probably be at the studio just talking to the devs about the game and maybe a few playtests with them in the balancing phase.
Ahh, ok. :laugh: Gotcha, now!

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
The T-shirt that won is very curious looking, the designs of both the ships and the pilots themselves throw me off. Funny none of those characters were featured together in the same game, Whoever that asian girl pretending to be Katt can't fool me!
Putting SF2 characters probably hindered your design, and I doubt that there was a chance of something focused on females winning, Best chance would have been a dynamic team shot with Krystal in it.
Probably, but it didnt hurt to try nonetheless

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Probably, but it didnt hurt to try nonetheless
True that lol, should try if given the chance.

Namco though, I wonder what their character selection criteria would be, If Sakurai doesn't retain any hand in development It seems like a brand new frontier. Who would take the mantle? what game bias's will they have? I have no idea of either of those things. Do they still like Assault? I know I do. I don't think we'll see that technical modelling excuse this time though that's for sure. We'll have to wait and see.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Namco's thing is having little to no barriers between series, as shown by the Majority of Pac-Man's stuff is from Other Namco Arcade games instead of his later releases.

We could very well see another Namco rep if they were in charge.

Top Bottom