• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
One thought I had was that Command gets ignored, at least about 98% of it. The anglars are still there, but are that short lived that it's basically a prologue (literally just Corneria and Venom with the undersea palace). Then the real game begins where you're dealing with someone much worse, on top of a few old foes returning. I'm not exactly a designer nor am I that good, but i've thought of some situations here and there.

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 3.25.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 3.25.39 AM.png

>Wolf and his crew still have the bounty
>Due to this a band of bounty hunters from another system show up. The members are Jean, Fara, Miyu, and Fay
-Jean in the leader
-Fara I havent thought much on but she's kinda tsundere towards Jean. Basically hitches up with him later on
-Miyu is a major tom boy, kinda like Tenchis Kiyone as she tends to deal with Fays foulups
-Fay is literally like Tenchis Mihoshi, a massive klutz.
--She also falls head over heels for Wolf because of his "bad boy" appearance
>As the two images show, Jean suffers from severe PTSD to the point he saw everyone as what mentally scared him, said thing is something Fox and crew dealt with years after it initially happened
-Unless you want me to just explain it, there's more to it. I mean you'd think i'd just have a guy like that be a leader without having some explanation?
>Jeans team essentially forms and alliance with Fox and crew, this is especially after what Krystal did for him as he's been suffering for years
-In fact, Jean seems to respect Krystal more, not that he's trying to pull anything as after being cleansed, he and Fara pair up.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
One thought I had was that Command gets ignored, at least about 98% of it. The anglars are still there, but are that short lived that it's basically a prologue (literally just Corneria and Venom with the undersea palace). Then the real game begins where you're dealing with someone much worse, on top of a few old foes returning. I'm not exactly a designer nor am I that good, but i've thought of some situations here and there.

View attachment 128510 View attachment 128511

>Due to this a band of bounty hunters from another system show up. The members are Jean, Fara, Miyu, and Fay
-Jean in the leader
-Fara I havent thought much on but she's kinda tsundere towards Jean. Basically hitches up with him later on
-Miyu is a major tom boy, kinda like Tenchis Kiyone as she tends to deal with Fays foulups
>As the two images show, Jean suffers from severe PTSD to the point he saw everyone as what mentally scared him, said thing is something Fox and crew dealt with years after it initially happened
-Unless you want me to just explain it, there's more to it. I mean you'd think i'd just have a guy like that be a leader without having some explanation?
>Jeans team essentially forms and alliance with Fox and crew, this is especially after what Krystal did for him as he's been suffering for years
-In fact, Jean seems to respect Krystal more, not that he's trying to pull anything as after being cleansed, he and Fara pair up.
I should really give starfox 2 a play through, kinda surprised they didn't inject some of the characters into command since it took things from that as is. You're going to have to explain who Jean is because i have no memory of this person though. I'm actually fine with the anglars and wouldn't be completely against their inclusion, but only as stated and it was as if they were never introduced. But keeping far away from old assets is the direction we should take, I don't think they'd have that hard of a time with coming up with new antagonists.

Also funny thing i just realized, the Anglar Emperor is based on a female angler fish. The game again doesn't know how to handle females lol.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I should really give starfox 2 a play through, kinda surprised they didn't inject some of the characters into command since it took things from that as is. You're going to have to explain who Jean is because i have no memory of this person though. I'm actually fine with the anglars and wouldn't be completely against their inclusion, but only as stated and it was as if they were never introduced. But keeping far away from old assets is the direction we should take, I don't think they'd have that hard of a time with coming up with new antagonists.

Also funny thing i just realized, the Anglar Emperor is based on a female angler fish. The game again doesn't know how to handle females lol.
Jean's a fan character I conjured up

>Bounty Hunter
>I thought of him being like Dandy, but as mentioned he suffers from severe PTSD
>His PTSD doesnt kick in until he both sees a familiar army of the villain and when he gets hit on the head a few times, one of em that completely jogs his memories
>As it turns out he was a soldier at one point, the reason he went ballistic towards everyone is because of what happened
>His squadmates were killed or zombified (corrupted) by a certain hivemind, Krystal knows about em as soon as he describes what they were after being healed which obviously makes him relieved
>It turns out he was ordered by his commander to kill them as they were being corrupted, he just couldnt do it but another side of him would (which he wasnt aware of until after)
>The military he was in blocked his memories of what happened, they didnt know exactly what happened but instead of locking him up or killing him, they used an experimental means of getting him back to normal. This of course didnt work as later on it'd break
>I forgot to mention this one, but Jean and crew have a droid of their own, the way I designed her is ridiclous. Beside that she's a military android who's supposed to kill Jean if such an event would occur, but due to the amount of time that passes and knowing him and everyone else, she couldnt do it and ended up getting critically damaged
>He doesnt know about it until later, but like Krystal he's a cerinian. No Jean aint no prince, that'd be treading Spaceballs territory as hilarious as that'd be
>I cant think of what it'd be, but Jeans ability as much as I hate to compare it is sort of like how when kid Gohan becomes a different person when agitated enough. Again I seriously havent established it but maybe like this (not transforming, but just acting totally different)
>Though not related by blood, Jean refers to Krystal as his sister when he finds out who he is along with finding out who she is.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Jean's a fan character I conjured up
Okay so that makes more sense, I guess while we might be out of starfox 2's gimmicks we still haven't used the characters, Well more women are welcome in the series as far as I'm concerned, atleast from SF2. Also that backstory sounds like Billy Coen from RE:0 with some scifi twists, I guess that could work lol. Though i personally disagree with him refering to her as sister, nicknames like those give me bad memories of Other M and Command. Krystal's mysterious past is part of her allure but considering how tacked on she is to the series giving some nods to her lore seems almost necessary if they really want to develop the character. This also be done with some monologues in the game after beating some stage where Krystal "remembers" telepathic messages given to her from spirits or machinery aswell. Sorta like how Prime Hunters has a telepathic message given to the hunters, depending on how far they go that route there could also be a big anatagonist from that though i wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Krystal's mysterious past is part of her allure but considering how tacked on she is to the series giving some nods to her lore seems almost necessary if they really want to develop the character. This also be done with some monologues in the game after beating some stage where Krystal "remembers" telepathic messages given to her from spirits or machinery aswell. Sorta like how Prime Hunters has a telepathic message given to the hunters, depending on how far they go that route there could also be a big anatagonist from that though i wouldn't hold my breath on that.
I agree here, I am very interested in the mystery of her character, but nothing is ever done to answer questions regarding it. Nintendo just goes into the whole love interest thing with Fox which ultimately ends up annoying most of the player-base that just wants to shoot things and not worry about the whole love interest aspect. Although it was done alright in assault with the light humorous nudges that were done. Also, that is an interesting concept of her receiving telepathic messages. There is just a lot of cool story-building concepts that could be used around telepathy that are never touched on. I would love to see something along those lines done in the future with the character.

View attachment 128510 View attachment 128511

-Jean in the leader
That artwork is adorable :). Did you draw that yourself? I wish I could draw that well haha. And yeah I am pretty sure everyone ignores command at this point, so 98% wouldn't be a problem :p. I also am of the impression that Star Fox drastically needs a new face for it's main antagonist. I also believe that everyone is tired of fighting Andross at this point. Maybe they can make General scales do more next time around(should he ever show up again)? Or just someone completely new altogether. I would be fine with whatever route they take as long as we stop seeing Andross. lol

I do like your little story blueprint you have going here. You can do a lot with story elements when a main character has PTSD with certain triggers that show up at the worst possible times(thinking somewhere along the lines of Xeno gears where the main character(Fei) gets a split personality that actually enhances his powers/abilities along with making him a psychopath lol) and needs certain people around to pull them back from the brink. There's just a lot that can be done with story elements when you have characters like that that go so well together.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And yeah I am pretty sure everyone ignores command at this point, so 98% wouldn't be a problem :p.
Honestly, Command is my second-favourite game in the Star Fox 64 reboot lineage (first is Assault).

Its writing always felt perfectly in line with Star Fox 64 to me, as I never felt that that game's plot was especially well-delivered, compared to the SNES continuity. The writers certainly were cruel to Krystal in some of the endings, there's no getting around that, but they were also harsh on other characters as well (the "Fox and Falco's Faulty Victory" ending, which is my favourite of the lot because I found it pretty interesting, is a good example of this).

The trouble is, people look at the terrible art with the freakish elongated heads, and the iffy writing, and don't give the game itself a chance. The gameplay is good, the ship-designs and their varying stats mix things up nicely (Krystal's ship is even a nod to Star Fox Adventures), the music is great (the themes for James and Peppy, and for Krystal, are particular stand-outs), if you don't take the story super-seriously it can be quite entertaining on many of the paths (seeing what became of Pigma post-Assault was interesting), and it did things that people keep demanding today, like not having Andross be the one behind everything (a "ghost" AI of him is part of one path, but the overall plot doesn't really revolve around him). On its own merits, it's a fun game.

That said, I'm not fond of Star Fox 64, so I welcomed Command with open arms and enjoyed it for what it was.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Command is my second-favourite game in the Star Fox 64 reboot lineage (first is Assault).

Its writing always felt perfectly in line with Star Fox 64 to me, as I never felt that that game's plot was especially well-delivered, compared to the SNES continuity. The writers certainly were cruel to Krystal in some of the endings, there's no getting around that, but they were also harsh on other characters as well (the "Fox and Falco's Faulty Victory" ending, which is my favourite of the lot because I found it pretty interesting, is a good example of this).

The trouble is, people look at the terrible art with the freakish elongated heads, and the iffy writing, and don't give the game itself a chance. The gameplay is good, the ship-designs and their varying stats mix things up nicely (Krystal's ship is even a nod to Star Fox Adventures), the music is great (the themes for James and Peppy, and for Krystal, are particular stand-outs), if you don't take the story super-seriously it can be quite entertaining on many of the paths (seeing what became of Pigma post-Assault was interesting), and it did things that people keep demanding today, like not having Andross be the one behind everything (a "ghost" AI of him is part of one path, but the overall plot doesn't really revolve around him). On its own merits, it's a fun game.

That said, I'm not fond of Star Fox 64, so I welcomed Command with open arms and enjoyed it for what it was.
Everything about Krystal in command was cruel, the opening cutscene was almost enough to stop me from playing it, She was extremely mean in the game aswell, I wanted to tear her apart in multiple instances. Trying to get her back can easily get you burned aswell. Though i must admit I adore the personalized ships, Krystal's Cloudrunner is actually very good in the game too and I'd like to see them again. The endings though magnify things though as a good majority of endings are centered around her, Thank god a sequel won't be based off it.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice

Yeah I can't play command(that's just how it is with me)... when I read the stuff Krystal was doing/saying I was like someone has it out for this character(and it was bull-crap terrible writing) I won't even play this. I still haven't even though I own it on Wii U Virtual Console because I still am a fan of the franchise.

And yeah I definitely agree with you there I don't particularly like the art at all either :p. And I know the gameplay is probably great, but I can't really play it knowing as much about it as I do(although I definitely can appreciate that her ship has an adventures homage to it). And yeah it's just Assault and command that don't have anything to do with Andross which was good on both of those games, I kinda feel like assault was trying too hard to end the story and it needed to just slow down, that's just the impression I got towards the end of the game.

And I couldn't agree more with the whole Star Fox 64 thing. That game is sooooo overdone I am sick of it! -_-
Everything about Krystal in command was cruel, the opening cutscene was almost enough to stop me from playing it, She was extremely mean in the game aswell, I wanted to tear her apart in multiple instances. Trying to get her back can easily get you burned aswell.
Punishing players for trying to get a character back is a good way to make people that liked a character dislike them instead. Also is credence to the terrible writing that is command. Telepaths that read emotion(empaths) exist in stories as a means of problem prevention, not problem creation.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And I couldn't agree more with the whole Star Fox 64 thing. That game is sooooo overdone I am sick of it! -_-
Honestly, it's not that it's overdone - I know it has many, many fans, who make up the majority of the fanbase. I just never liked it in the first place, because I'm not a fan of unnecessary reboots, and I didn't enjoy the changes to the gameplay (it went from challenge-based, to much easier and replay-focussed).

But, it took over, most people mistakenly think it was the original game, and so on, so I've just found enjoyment in the games that didn't try to clone Star Fox 64. :laugh:

I won't deny that it matters the same to those who like it as the original continuity matters to me, though, so I'm not going to say I'm sick of it or anything like that - it is what it is. ;)

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, it's not that it's overdone - I know it has many, many fans, who make up the majority of the fanbase. I just never liked it in the first place, because I'm not a fan of unnecessary reboots, and I didn't enjoy the changes to the gameplay (it went from challenge-based, to much easier and replay-focussed).

But, it took over, most people mistakenly think it was the original game, and so on, so I've just found enjoyment in the games that didn't try to clone Star Fox 64. :laugh:

I won't deny that it matters the same to those who like it as the original continuity matters to me, though, so I'm not going to say I'm sick of it or anything like that - it is what it is. ;)
Well I guess technically 64 is a remake of SNES, so they're all reboots/reimaginings of SNES. Which I still consider a great game for its time. But the story is definitely overdone if you go to get the game for your birthday and the clerks are telling you not to get it because it's a 64 remake and even has the same planets. Throwing in a few curve balls(gyrowing/chicken walker) doesn't change enough, although chicken walker was pretty fun I can definitely have the slow gyrowing missions removed lol. And yeah saying I was sick of it was probably a little extreme, it's just that every time they do a reboot they forget about other characters/events and use recycled planets and a lot of the same bosses done slightly differently to the point of not even being interesting.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Well I guess technically 64 is a remake of SNES, so they're all reboots/reimaginings of SNES.
They're all reboots of 64. :p 64 is not very much like the SNES original at all.

it's just that every time they do a reboot they forget about other characters/events and use recycled planets and a lot of the same bosses done slightly differently to the point of not even being interesting.
I agree... Things most definitely need to be allowed to grow and evolve - that they haven't been is why the series has problems to begin with. I feel that jordansweeto jordansweeto 's belief in Assault's structure being the best starting point for the future is right on the money.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, it's not that it's overdone - I know it has many, many fans, who make up the majority of the fanbase.
4 times isn't overdone? Dude that burger could be used in a brick house.
I barely played any of the original starfox so I can't really vouch for the reboot for SF64 though I remember SF64 being much smoother to play. I did enjoy the 3DS port because Starfox fits on handheld title quite well because of how casual it is and it's rail-shooter nature, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed a sequel even more.
I'm probably in the minority but I don't enjoy a challenge, I prefer to be an unstoppable wave of destruction in most instances.
I definitely agree on using Starfox Assault as a reference point for the future aswell, it's personally one of my favorite games of all time.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
4 times isn't overdone? Dude that burger could be used in a brick house.
Ahahaha! :laugh: I just meant Star Fox 64 itself, rather than its reboot and re-release, there.

I had interpreted Smokey21 Smokey21 's post as meaning that Star Fox 64 itself is overexposed. I realise that I quite possibly misunderstood.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I agree here, I am very interested in the mystery of her character, but nothing is ever done to answer questions regarding it. Nintendo just goes into the whole love interest thing with Fox which ultimately ends up annoying most of the player-base that just wants to shoot things and not worry about the whole love interest aspect. Although it was done alright in assault with the light humorous nudges that were done. Also, that is an interesting concept of her receiving telepathic messages. There is just a lot of cool story-building concepts that could be used around telepathy that are never touched on. I would love to see something along those lines done in the future with the character.

That artwork is adorable :). Did you draw that yourself? I wish I could draw that well haha. And yeah I am pretty sure everyone ignores command at this point, so 98% wouldn't be a problem :p. I also am of the impression that Star Fox drastically needs a new face for it's main antagonist. I also believe that everyone is tired of fighting Andross at this point. Maybe they can make General scales do more next time around(should he ever show up again)? Or just someone completely new altogether. I would be fine with whatever route they take as long as we stop seeing Andross. lol

I do like your little story blueprint you have going here. You can do a lot with story elements when a main character has PTSD with certain triggers that show up at the worst possible times(thinking somewhere along the lines of Xeno gears where the main character(Fei) gets a split personality that actually enhances his powers/abilities along with making him a psychopath lol) and needs certain people around to pull them back from the brink. There's just a lot that can be done with story elements when you have characters like that that go so well together.
Yeah I did that, there's more but I guess that's up to if anyone wants to see em.
What I also thought is this;

>Andross does come back, but this is because a certain someone revives him by the same method he used on Titania, this of course doesnt happen until a deal is made with this new villain
>Captain Shears, the villain from the manga is the one that revives Andross and makes the deal with the new villain
>He also finds Andrew critically injured and fixes him up, this is referencing what happened to him in Assault. This happens way before the new villain shows up
>The new villain as awful as I have to describe is kinda on par of that of Frieza in the sense he's a very notorious and ruthless conquerer/tyrant. For now i'm using Majora as his name, but basically he really messes things up at the Lylat system
-No there's no legendary super cerinian, that's just stupid, the only thing I can think of for him wanting the cerinians wiped out is because they're capable of stopping him or something
>Jean is basically the enemy for Wolf for obvious reasons. Ex: Fox > Wolf > Jean
-His theme is literally this

Post plot
>Wolf and crew have to serve an x amount of time doing "community service", by being with Jean and co as opposed to spending more than the amount of time in prison
>Realistically Jean forced Wolf to be with him is because he not only sees him using his skills for something better, but Fay has a major thing for him
>Literally this sort of thing happens between Wolf and Fay, which eventually leads to Wolf having a major conflict with himself when he saves her, you know, the Prince Zuko kind of conflict
>Panther gets it rough, his methods get him beat down by Miyu almost constantly, eventually he stops and it kinda works out. Basically Miyu had something I cant think of happen to her that she despises that kind of attitude
>Leon is just there laughing at Wolf for softening up

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I did that, there's more but I guess that's up to if anyone wants to see em.
What I also thought is this;

>Andross does come back, but this is because a certain someone revives him by the same method he used on Titania, this of course doesnt happen until a deal is made with this new villain
>Captain Shears, the villain from the manga is the one that revives Andross and makes the deal with the new villain
>He also finds Andrew critically injured and fixes him up, this is referencing what happened to him in Assault. This happens way before the new villain shows up
>The new villain as awful as I have to describe is kinda on par of that of Frieza in the sense he's a very notorious and ruthless conquerer/tyrant. For now i'm using Majora as his name, but basically he really messes things up at the Lylat system
-No there's no legendary super cerinian, that's just stupid, the only thing I can think of for him wanting the cerinians wiped out is because they're capable of stopping him or something
>Jean is basically the enemy for Wolf for obvious reasons. Ex: Fox > Wolf > Jean
-His theme is literally this

Post plot
>Wolf and crew have to serve an x amount of time doing "community service", by being with Jean and co as opposed to spending more than the amount of time in prison
>Realistically Jean forced Wolf to be with him is because he not only sees him using his skills for something better, but Fay has a major thing for him
>Literally this sort of thing happens between Wolf and Fay, which eventually leads to Wolf having a major conflict with himself when he saves her, you know, the Prince Zuko kind of conflict
>Panther gets it rough, his methods get him beat down by Miyu almost constantly, eventually he stops and it kinda works out. Basically Miyu had something I cant think of happen to her that she despises that kind of attitude
>Leon is just there laughing at Wolf for softening up
Andross should play a minor role at best, the focus should be on a new villain we've had evil scientist, assimilating hivemind tropes I guess intergalactic conqueror is something different. Infact having the Venomians team up with Corneria and Star Fox/Star Wolf together at it's climax would be pretty sweet. He should be unknown to the Lylat System as it wouldn't make any sense for this guy to have a legend that we've all never heard. He'll need a nice gimmick too, perhaps it follows the less beaten path and instead of cliche domination that seek the Lylat System as a place for their new home and terraform planets to their liking because of things like overpopulation or extreme resource consumption and they simply act ruthless to this end but it's just a thin veil for desperation. They naturally have an elite squadron for intense dogfights and call me crazy for being this ambitious, but your wing-mates are actually useful? and have slightly different AI retaining their custom ships giving them slightly different actions. Krystal is more inclined to use her lock-on attack and barrel rolls frequently to evade attacks with her somewhat fragile but quick and fairly powerful Cloudrunner. keeping her alive gives you the opportunity to strike at signature weak spots on bosses (alluding to her telepathy) and she is more inclined to drop silver rings. Falco is more inclined to use bombs with his Sky Claw which is faster but deals less damage from it's blasters, keeping him alive will also give bomb pickups and he is more likely to shoot down fighters overall. Slippy maintains his shield gauge function and now also has an EMP function that disables enemy targeting AI on a cooldown with his slow but very durable Bullfrog fighter, his piloting skills are subpar and if you do not save him quickly he's likely to use the EMP to save himself as opposed to disable a boss or a big group of fighters. He'll also occassionally give gold rings. Gotta keep in the spirit of slippy being annoying. Peppy retains his Assault role and transmits equipment through the missions.

As for that post plot you have there that I have to disagree with. Star Wolf would never get put into a circumstance to NEED to do community service. The only pilots capable of defeating them are Star Fox and more Fox himself and he respects Star Wolf too much to put them away, They are mercenaries and not goody-two-shoes. This Jean displaying any control over Wolf rubs me the wrong way and I think many would also agree. Speaking of the SF2 females Dylan Cuthbert as expressed interest in returning to the Starfox series we could potentially see them in this sequel. That is if Platinum Games for some reason doesn't want to work on the series anymore which would be understandable. Aslong as he keeps the Command story writers far away locked in a spiked cell under boiling water I think we'll be good. Only time will tell what we get as is the closing statement for most of these.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
call me crazy for being this ambitious, but your wing-mates are actually useful? and have slightly different AI retaining their custom ships giving them slightly different actions. Krystal is more inclined to use her lock-on attack and barrel rolls frequently to evade attacks with her somewhat fragile but quick and fairly powerful Cloudrunner. keeping her alive gives you the opportunity to strike at signature weak spots on bosses (alluding to her telepathy) and she is more inclined to drop silver rings. Falco is more inclined to use bombs with his Sky Claw which is faster but deals less damage from it's blasters, keeping him alive will also give bomb pickups and he is more likely to shoot down fighters overall. Slippy maintains his shield gauge function and now also has an EMP function that disables enemy targeting AI on a cooldown with his slow but very durable Bullfrog fighter, his piloting skills are subpar and if you do not save him quickly he's likely to use the EMP to save himself as opposed to disable a boss or a big group of fighters. He'll also occassionally give gold rings. Gotta keep in the spirit of slippy being annoying. Peppy retains his Assault role and transmits equipment through the missions.
Exactly this... One of the most annoying things about the Star Fox games was having to go out of your way from your high score to go help team-mates that clearly should be able to handle all of themselves(with virtually no benefit to save them... barring slippy :)). You know... being an elite mercenary force and all. I like how you broke down all of the teams abilities/reasons to keep them alive into something you want to strive to have to make your mission THAT much easier.
Speaking of the SF2 females Dylan Cuthbert as expressed interest in returning to the Starfox series we could potentially see them in this sequel. That is if Platinum Games for some reason doesn't want to work on the series anymore which would be understandable. Aslong as he keeps the Command story writers far away locked in a spiked cell under boiling water I think we'll be good. Only time will tell what we get as is the closing statement for most of these.
Personally I hope platinum gets to make the next Star Fox game because I genuinely feel like they have the heart in the franchise to do it right and in a way that all the fans will enjoy. I think Miyamoto just had too much sway in the direction of Zero and forcing it to the whole motion controls debacle that everyone loves the game for. /sarcasm
Ahahaha! :laugh: I just meant Star Fox 64 itself, rather than its reboot and re-release, there.

I had interpreted Smokey21 Smokey21 's post as meaning that Star Fox 64 itself is overexposed. I realise that I quite possibly misunderstood.
Meh... it's fine man... I mean... How dare you mis-read something someone said on the internets! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
One of the most annoying things about the Star Fox games was having to go out of your way from your high score to go help team-mates that clearly should be able to handle all of themselves(with virtually no benefit to save them... barring slippy :)). You know... being an elite mercenary force and all.
I never did understand this approach to the games' design. It made sense in the difficulty-centred original game, but when Star Fox 64 came along, lowered the difficulty, and made the game about score-chasing, it stopped making sense, because everything was clearly too easy to be giving such ostensibly advanced pilots problems. It only made sense in Expert Mode, there.

Meh... it's fine man... I mean... How dare you mis-read something someone said on the internets! You should be ashamed of yourself!
Hahaha! :laugh:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
There's kind of a reason i've grown to hating 64. It's not to say I wont like playing the game, it's certainly better than Zero, it's more so I can no longer consider it the "greatest" game in the series. This is most likely because I realized that nostalgia can really blind you from the harsh reality of what you liked really is, even some of the reviews on Zero admitted to this. One of the best examples is Gameinformers, they pretty much stated that Zero is like coming back to something you once enjoyed but have long since outgrown. Speaking of which, since Zero was essentially a remake of 64 and that it was the second time it failed, I have to say 64 got discredited from said title. Yeah I know of the statement is isnt a reboot, remake, sequel, or prequel, but considering how Miyamoto and some other members lied so many times, you have to assume he lied about that and just wanted to remake 64.

On a different matter, this is really old, in fact nothing ever happened (no episode 1 or anything) but I saw this.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
There's kind of a reason i've grown to hating 64. It's not to say I wont like playing the game, it's certainly better than Zero, it's more so I can no longer consider it the "greatest" game in the series. This is most likely because I realized that nostalgia can really blind you from the harsh reality of what you liked really is, even some of the reviews on Zero admitted to this. One of the best examples is Gameinformers, they pretty much stated that Zero is like coming back to something you once enjoyed but have long since outgrown. Speaking of which, since Zero was essentially a remake of 64 and that it was the second time it failed, I have to say 64 got discredited from said title. Yeah I know of the statement is isnt a reboot, remake, sequel, or prequel, but considering how Miyamoto and some other members lied so many times, you have to assume he lied about that and just wanted to remake 64.

On a different matter, this is really old, in fact nothing ever happened (no episode 1 or anything) but I saw this.
Well I don't hate 64 Per Se(I bought it on the Wii U VC soon as it came up a month or so ago because I was so excited and if you haven't gotten it already I suggest you do as well if you have a Wii U). I am just tired of how overdone the game is at this time(64 3ds/Zero) and how it takes up all our new game slots in a time where development times are 2-5 years because games are becoming immensely harder to make because of graphics etc. and the more upsetting thing about Zero is you can 100% complete the game in under 10 hours if you know how to get all the medals beforehand(the fancy menu you get for doing it is pretty cool). Beating it in just over 2 hours on my birthday was kind of upsetting -_-. but I have to say, until Nintendo does something similarly to Assault or adventures(I liked both very much) and we see how it is taken by the old/new fans we really won't know if it truly is discredited to being the best game in the Franchise, although the numbers speak volumes on their own I definitely agree there. Which goes into us waiting for the next installment, and it will come... Miyamoto has confirmed that. It's just a matter of when.

I actually really liked that video. It's too bad I don't think we will ever see a continuation of it since it says 2010(teaser) in the title lol. Hopefully the guy doing it will go back to it at some point. But it seems that he/she may have given up on it because the reason for it not being done was school, and actors being disagreeable or so they say in the comments. Either way in 7 years they have probably given up on the entire video and we likely won't see anything at all from them sadly. I think it could do without the DBZ sounds though, other than that it was pretty sick. The art style kinda looks like an 80's anime as well. haha

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
On you input of that post thing, it does seem a bit weird, but I thought of it as covering a few things.
  • Wolfs backstory is covered, like why he's so bent on beating Fox which as based on an anons idea, it had to do with him being jealous of James or something. I think it happened when he was at the academy as he said.
  • I also thought that during his buildup with Fay, it's also revealed that Wolf really had it rough growing up as indicated by the scars on his back.
  • Just for laughs, when Wolf has his moral conflict, he has a "nightmare" where he's getting married to Fay. The point is he's suffering from love sickness, which may sound awful, it's to show that even someone as tough as Wolf can have some feelings.
  • An idea using the Marcus route, Wolf has a daughter. Of course I thought as a surprise you dont know she is his daughter until both Wolf and Fay show up. Fay being really disappointed in Wolf running off after what she thought was him changing. Like how he warned Fox with not doing anything to hurt Krystal, Jean wants to beat down Wolf for hurting Fay. Really thinking on it I thought Wolf didnt realize he had a child, to which he freaks out because how he finds out was during a fight with her (she used his title, and he wasnt happy someone was impersonating him, I think you get the idea of what this leads up to).

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Wolf being father to a "fatherless" child seems oddly fitting to me and so does him having had an abusive past, in which he was constantly compared to James. I see those parts of the plot working.
The community service, on the other hand, should be reworked into some other meeting between them.

If we are to see the killer of the Cerinians, my thought is that they went to the Cerinian leaders to try and win them over but the telepathy clued said leaders in on their evil plans instead. The leaders let slip what they knew and the villain couldn't risk word getting out and caused the planets destruction while trying not to pin blame on themselves in some fashion.
Planetary destruction doesn't seem subtle but it's all I can think of. Perhaps it set things into motion but noone but the Cerinians knew the end plan?

Also, is Wolf saying not to hurt Krystal cannon?

Oh and, back on the subject of ripping off 64 time and again, Command stole it's character cut ins from there and made only minor changes to turn Kat into Krystal.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Wolf being father to a "fatherless" child seems oddly fitting to me and so does him having had an abusive past, in which he was constantly compared to James. I see those parts of the plot working.
The community service, on the other hand, should be reworked into some other meeting between them.

If we are to see the killer of the Cerinians, my thought is that they went to the Cerinian leaders to try and win them over but the telepathy clued said leaders in on their evil plans instead. The leaders let slip what they knew and the villain couldn't risk word getting out and caused the planets destruction while trying not to pin blame on themselves in some fashion.
Planetary destruction doesn't seem subtle but it's all I can think of. Perhaps it set things into motion but noone but the Cerinians knew the end plan?

Also, is Wolf saying not to hurt Krystal cannon?

Oh and, back on the subject of ripping off 64 time and again, Command stole it's character cut ins from there and made only minor changes to turn Kat into Krystal.
I might've worded it wrong, what I meant to say was Jean tells Fox not to hurt Krystal after what he learned about himself and her, the way I thought of it is pretty much like this. I dont think i've heard Wolf say this in the series, but maybe he did in Command (then again so did everyone else).

Maybe im not seeing it, but what do you mean by them doing minor changes? You mean like their mugshots?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, the radio mugshots, as you call them, were straight up copied but, since Krystal wasn't in 64, they just tweaked the girl who was.
Er, aren't the mugshots something that's been there since the very first game...? :confused:

Command certainly didn't copy any of them - they're all in its own hideously ugly art-style. :laugh:

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Er, aren't the mugshots something that's been there since the very first game...? :confused:

Command certainly didn't copy any of them - they're all in its own hideously ugly art-style. :laugh:
Yessir. They have been in the game from the beginning and most certainly were updated every time. Yes the mugshot thing certainly was copy pasted but the art style most definitely was not. If it were completely copy pasted we would still have the snes mugshots!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Really? Huh. Maybe Command was slightly less terrible than I thought.
I lol'd at this comment. :)
It's actually a good game, if people would actually just play it and give it a chance.

I suppose that just shows how far myths about it being terrible have spread, though - after all, once you've seen it, you don't forget how ugly it is. :laugh:

Here's a comparison of Fox's mugshots from various games, just to demonstrate what I mean, here;

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Star Fox 64

Star Fox Command

And, for comparison's sake, here are Katt's mugshots from Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Command;

As you can see, there was absolutely zero recycling going on here, as she was completely redesigned in Command, and doesn't even look like the same character!

And here's Krystal, just to show that her mugshot in Command looks nothing like either of Katt's;

As you can see, Command and its mugshots (which, unlike any other games', lack frames and backgrounds) look so completely unlike anything else in the series, that it's impossible to forget it once you've seen it. :laugh:

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
It's actually a good game, if people would actually just play it and give it a chance.

I suppose that just shows how far myths about it being terrible have spread, though - after all, once you've seen it, you don't forget how ugly it is. :laugh:

Here's a comparison of Fox's mugshots from various games, just to demonstrate what I mean, here;

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Star Fox 64

Star Fox Command

And, for comparison's sake, here are Katt's mugshots from Star Fox 64, and Star Fox Command;

As you can see, there was absolutely zero recycling going on here, as she was completely redesigned in Command, and doesn't even look like the same character!

And here's Krystal, just to show that her mugshot in Command looks nothing like either of Katt's;

As you can see, Command and its mugshots (which, unlike any other games', lack frames) look so completely unlike anything else in the series, that it's impossible to forget it once you've seen it. :laugh:
Oh hey those are really cool! Thanks for pulling all those up. Yeah I like how different Katt looks from 64 to command haha. Why is she like a completely different person!? At least they corrected that in Zero. -_-

And like I said earlier I do own command. I just don't want to play it for... you know... reasons! xD

But damn that hat that krystal wears in command is irritatingly pink. And is that a C on it? I wonder what it stands for haha. Probably cloudrunner? Hmm. Haha.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IIRC Krystal has a different design and ship depending on your mission performance somehow retroactively changing whether she kept flying with Corneria's military or took the jilted ex thing too far by joining Star Wolf.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
IIRC Krystal has a different design and ship depending on your mission performance somehow retroactively changing whether she kept flying with Corneria's military or took the jilted ex thing too far by joining Star Wolf.
Yep. Here's the other one;

She looks more cheerful in that version.

And here are the two variants of her profile, as well, as a bonus;

buymeacheesecake

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
angler fishes have a dorsal spine which maybe is what they were going for there

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Katt was in Command? Jeez, looks like I missed out on a whole lot when I couldn't get to grips with the gameplay.
Weird how much they overhauled her and no, there is definitely a lot of similarity in those ears.
I truthfully didn't understand her art redesign, the obnoxious drama surrounding the other characters in a twisted way can add depth but making her look completely different seemed pointless. She's also not as flirty as her canon counterparts but no one's themselves in the game, save for Falco.

Also that description gets me too, there wasn't a single instance of kindness from her, save for a small number of the endings and she was stubborn the entire game.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Weird how much they overhauled her and no, there is definitely a lot of similarity in those ears.
They're very clearly not edited from each other, or copied from Star Fox 64, though. ;)

The ears are, unfortunately, simply down to what I would describe as inept art-direction. Whoever was responsible didn't seem to be aware that this is not how canids should look - the configuration of Fox and Krystal's faces is somewhere between rodents and cats. :laugh:

It's pretty sad that they decided back then that this horrifying elongated-noggins look should remain because it's "unique", and to date, it has indeed stuck around. It looks marginally better in Star Fox Zero's promotional art, but at the end of the day it still looks weird*.

*It might just be me, but I find that this removes some of the series' appeal. Reason being, the previous art-direction gave a feeling of a star system where life had evolved differently, whereas the current art-direction seems to be trying to combine the look of animals with the look of stereotypical massive-headed sci-fi grey aliens.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
top_0119_by_kingjion-db7vz3r.png

Just something I thought of when Jean completely loses it during a fight against someone (never thought of it entirely, i'm not that good of a writer to think of everything). As I mentioned his PTSD kicks in so hard upon taking a blow to the head that he thinks everyone is what wiped his squad out years ago, which after awhile he suddenly becomes hostile, which explains how he even survived the incident. p.s. how his PTSD surges in I must admit is pretty similar to this (Warning: spoiler if you're watching this)

top_0121_by_kingjion-db7vz3h.png

I probably should've drew Wolf and Fay a little older, but kindof the idea of how upset Fay is to him.

I have to than kthe guy for supplying these to me, I dont have a hacked 3DS to be able to take direct screen shots in this

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
They're very clearly not edited from each other, or copied from Star Fox 64, though. ;)

The ears are, unfortunately, simply down to what I would describe as inept art-direction. Whoever was responsible didn't seem to be aware that this is not how canids should look.
Funny you mention that, I sent a message to Dylan Cuthbert earlier and he said Imamura was responsible for the character designs aswell as their (atrocious) personalities. It's worth noting that Imamura's highest role in a Starfox game was in Command as he was a producer, compared to his earlier work where he was merely a graphic designer on Starfox/64

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
compared to his earlier work where he was merely a graphic designer on Starfox/64
That does beg the question as to why Command's character-art is as poor as it is, though - 64, though drab-looking, has decent art-direction. The only bad-looking thing in it is the Great Fox, which is a ludicrous-looking ship. :laugh:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
That does beg the question as to why Command's character-art is as poor as it is, though - 64, though drab-looking, has decent art-direction. The only bad-looking thing in it is the Great Fox, which is a ludicrous-looking ship. :laugh:
It's said the art was that way was because of a Japanese focus group thinking it was more appealing. That was not the case at all.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It's said the art was that way was because of a Japanese focus group thinking it was more appealing. That was not the case at all.
I was reading an interview with Imamura and Cuthbert both, Imamura mentioned something about people not liking how much fur they had in adventures/assault. I can understand adventures but Assault didn't have any advanced fur rendering, though that doesn't really explain the style.

Top Bottom