• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
if the port rumor is true
It isn't. I'm fairly sure we would've seen it by now if that was all it was.

It was disproven the moment Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel turned out not to exist or be a launch-day Switch pack-in title, and further destroyed the moment when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe turned out not to have a new cup even though they (the same group of rumourmongers who claimed that Smash 3DS/Wii U were getting a no-frills Switch port) claimed that ten separate individuals confirmed this to them, and the moment that the launch-day Mario/Rabbids crossover strategy-RPG that the same group of people claimed to have info about turned out not to be a launch title.

browsing around on sourcegaming people have found that the updates to smash4's file archtecture at the end of it's update cycle suggested that it was setting it up to have content added in later, and with sm4sh's big success and popular interest among the great majority of the fans, coupled with how it's already nicely set-up to receive stages and fighters makes it quite likely
Or it adds credence to Bandai-Namco's April 2014 job-listing for "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U were later said by Sakurai in an interview to be considered "Smash 4" and "Smash 5") being for a new game that re-uses the same engine, which explains the data issues just the same. ;)

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe existing is enough for me to think a port of Smash 4 is totally possible, regardless of whatever leakers were proven wrong. It won't really be disproven until we see what Smash is planned for with the Switch

Luminario

Smash Lord
You're not the only one who's talked to her VA

I've followed that up and she hasn't heard anything yet, I'm still a bit surprised she said she would though. all of the Assault voices were so good so I hope they aren't considering someone else. Don't forget that we could see a bunch of new fighters if the port rumor is true, browsing around on sourcegaming people have found that the updates to smash4's file archtecture at the end of it's update cycle suggested that it was setting it up to have content added in later, and with sm4sh's big success and popular interest among the great majority of the fans, coupled with how it's already nicely set-up to receive stages and fighters makes it quite likely. I don't think Sakurai has forgotten her, and i'd imagine Krystal did pretty well on the smash ballot so I think her chances are pretty high all things considered. Can't hurt to keep nintendo constantly aware of people liking her though so let's keep it up.
I feel like voice actors would probably say stuff like this until the character is revealed to which they go "PSYCH~ GOT YA! I'M IN THIS ONE!" or something

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe existing is enough for me to think a port of Smash 4 is totally possible, regardless of whatever leakers were proven wrong.
Whilst I previously felt this way myself, we're coming up to E3, and the time for tolerance of quick ports of existing software will have passed by then.

Moreover, it doesn't stack up with them making a public hiring-call for a 200-strong team for a new game that we haven't seen yet. ;) (This occurred at the same time as a statement in an interview that a new mainline Mario game had begun production - we learned more recently that this is Super Mario Odyssey, for the Switch.)

We've got countless demonstrations of third-parties and small indie companies, some of them as small as two people, getting their games up and running on the Switch within mere hours or just a few days. At that point it becomes difficult to believe that a 200-strong first-party team would take three years (which is longer than any Smash game to date has been in development for) to make a no-frills port of the previous game.

It won't really be disproven until we see what Smash is planned for with the Switch
The way I see it, since every single claim that was made about launch-window software by the rumourmongers proved false, there's no reason to believe that they got that one thing correct. The other claims turning out to be wrong demonstrates a lack of knowledge of what was being made.

EDIT: There's also the fact that they claimed that the final three Amiibo had been held off in order to launch on the same day as the alleged no-frills port. That was also thoroughly disproven during the recent Nintendo Direct, when we learned that there are actually six final Super Smash Bros. Series Amiibo, and that they're launching on the same day as Splatoon 2.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
The team angle is a pretty interesting one, Sakurai may not approve of a port as is and we could see a big ass smash title in a couple of years which could give it enough time to line up with a possible starfox title. I'm not basing my opinion on any rumors personally just that the concept is feasible. We should see what E3 gives us if anything on smash of course

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Glad to see one of the Star Fox threads has conversation going. Unfortunately, no-one's posted in the Wolf thread for a while.

As for the new Smash game talk, I've said it before, I don't really know what to expect. Could be a port, could be a new installment. I honestly don't care which, as long as we get quality content from either one, I'll be content.

As for Alesia Glidewell, I don't think she'd inform anyone if she was informed of a new Smash title. Even if she did tell her audience, there's no guarantee i'd be for Krystal. According to a few sites, she's done voice work for other characters already in Smash, but they could be incorrect, so someone please inform me if that is the case.

Also, noticed you're relatively new. Welcome to Smashboards, Gagnetar Gagnetar

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai may not approve of a port as is
Sakurai doesn't own the series or have any say over its future, though - Nintendo does. Satoru Iwata convinced him to come back to make a few of them, but it's well-known that he doesn't enjoy working on sequels, and one day Smash will go on without Sakurai.

In fact, if we look at the "Smash 6" job-listing, we know that the new game it's supposedly for began work while Sakurai was still busy on Smash 3DS/Wii U, and may not have had his involvement in the time since, either.

We should see what E3 gives us if anything on smash of course
Yep - and it's only 49 days away, now, too! :grin:

Unfortunately, no-one's posted in the Wolf thread for a while.
Meanwhile, my Andross thread is picking up steam super-slowly, but at least it's something! :laugh:

As for the new Smash game talk, I've said it before, I don't really know what to expect. Could be a port, could be a new installment. I honestly don't care which, as long as we get quality content from either one, I'll be content.
I agree with this. As long as it's a good game, it's fine.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
That's a great way to look at it, I just want the option that gives us the most fighters. Though some kind of campaign would be a welcome addition if time permits.
As for her it's pretty obvious what I was asking and I can't imagine what she gain from lying to me. She did say later that she's not really connected to the voice acting scene anymore. And also if it's new voicework I can't really imagine it wouldn't be Krystal, getting some kind of hey look i've been asked by blank to work on X would be great. It does in some regard support towards a full title as I'd imagine she would have been asked by now for VA work but I don't really know.
Also hey thanks for the welcome, I'm just here to support Krystal in her endeavor to be in what is really a true honor for characters to appear as playable fighters.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
It isn't. I'm fairly sure we would've seen it by now if that was all it was.

It was disproven the moment Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel turned out not to exist or be a launch-day Switch pack-in title, and further destroyed the moment when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe turned out not to have a new cup even though they (the same group of rumourmongers who claimed that Smash 3DS/Wii U were getting a no-frills Switch port) claimed that ten separate individuals confirmed this to them, and the moment that the launch-day Mario/Rabbids crossover strategy-RPG that the same group of people claimed to have info about turned out not to be a launch title.

Or it adds credence to Bandai-Namco's April 2014 job-listing for "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U were later said by Sakurai in an interview to be considered "Smash 4" and "Smash 5") being for a new game that re-uses the same engine, which explains the data issues just the same. ;)
Heya Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin I don't think anyone really knows whether there will be a port or a new game for smash... Smash is a series that nintendo has always kept SUPER close to it's chest until it was dead sure that they knew the game was ready to be unveiled. We will definitely see more around e3, as for a new smash reveal? I guess we will have to just wait and see! I am expecting a pretty big show for Nintendo this year though so I am hopeful. Hopefully along with a good metroid sequel! I have been waiting such a long time for a good metroid game! Do you think you can post the 2014 job listing thing for me(maybe in a personal message)? I would like to see that for myself if you somehow still have it on hand... if not it's fine.

As for the smash 4 and 5 thing I actually didn't know that... that's interesting. I may have heard about that but never really thought about it much. xD
I feel like voice actors would probably say stuff like this until the character is revealed to which they go "PSYCH~ GOT YA! I'M IN THIS ONE!" or something
Luminario Luminario Ahhh hahaha I can totally see something like that happening.
Glad to see one of the Star Fox threads has conversation going. Unfortunately, no-one's posted in the Wolf thread for a while.

As for Alesia Glidewell, I don't think she'd inform anyone if she was informed of a new Smash title. Even if she did tell her audience, there's no guarantee i'd be for Krystal. According to a few sites, she's done voice work for other characters already in Smash, but they could be incorrect, so someone please inform me if that is the case.

oh hai there AlphaSSB AlphaSSB welcome! ^_^ Also, I feel the same way for a smash port or new game. I am expecting a port personally, but I will be pleasantly surprised if we get a new game with quality content as well. Hopefully Wolf and Krystal can make the cuts as well I mained Wolf in brawl and was a bit disappointed at his removal for Sm4sh. As for what Alesia said she might be just being nice(for all we know she could get called in and not know what she's acting for and sign an NDA there on the spot so we don't know if she will be able to honor that promise, and shouldn't hold it against her regardless). Although she does an excellent job with Krystal and Samus alike for their characters as well as seeming to enjoy playing them.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Do you think you can post the 2014 job listing thing for me(maybe in a personal message)? I would like to see that for myself if you somehow still have it on hand... if not it's fine.
Click the word "listing" in the post of mine that you quoted - I already linked the preserved information there. ;)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
oh hey! look at that! thanks haha
No problem! Hopefully you'll find it interesting - it contains a screenshot of the original job-listing from the time it was live, plus an English translation of it, which shows how many team-members they already had at the time, and how many more they were looking to hire, as well as what skill-sets were required.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This thread has certainly been busy as of late. Good to see the support list steadily grow.

Here's a bit of a sticking point though. The staff has always generally been what Krystal supporters gravitate to when it comes to making a moveset for her, but we never see it again after Adventures. Would you guys be opposed to Krystal getting in without the staff? And if that were tto be he case, how would you handle her playstyle?

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
This thread has certainly been busy as of late. Good to see the support list steadily grow.

Here's a bit of a sticking point though. The staff has always generally been what Krystal supporters gravitate to when it comes to making a moveset for her, but we never see it again after Adventures. Would you guys be opposed to Krystal getting in without the staff? And if that were tto be he case, how would you handle her playstyle?
I personally can't see her without it. I feel like it is iconic of the character and would kind of be a slap in the face to Krystal fans. I am not saying that a good Krystal can't be done without her staff, but without it I think her play style would be somewhere in the vein of Zero-suit Samus' play style. whenever I modded krystal over ZSS that seemed to feel the most natural for the character. But yeah I would much rather have an agile staff fighter with magic elements! Just my 2 cents! :)

Luminario

Smash Lord

Wolf was like one of those characters that should 100% have been DLC no question. It was a crime we didn't get him. He'd better be in the next one (hopefully with Krystal in tow too)

Also I got high hopes for E3 this year especially if that job listing is legit. Releasing Smash Bros early into the life of a console is always a solid choice.

The staff would dearly be missed if it doesn't show up in Smash, it just feels right as Krystal's main weapon of choice and would help differentiate her from the other Starfox reps, though I'd be overjoyed even if she got in without it. I'd say her playstyle without the staff would be a combination of Fox semi-clone moves + Assault weaponry, due to that game being her first role as main playable member of Starfox. She could have grenades as part of her general moveset as Gagnetar mentioned along with the Blaster, Gatling Gun, Missile Launcher (with controllable missiles) and Booster Pack as specials. I'd also like to see the Fireburst Pod in there too as a special as it could throw up small explosives after a short time. Barrier Sphere could easily be a reflector special/Yoshi-like shield. She could easily be added in without the staff but it really limits the variety to her moveset.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

That's an absolute waste of potential to not have it, most of the people neutral to the character like her as a smash character pick because of her staff. It's not unreasonable to say that almost all of us here would still use her but she'd certainly be far less interesting unless they take curious and rather unneeded creative liberties to keep her unique. Fortunately such a scenario is rather unlikely.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's not unreasonable to say that almost all of us here would still use her
Actually, confession time: I won't be playing as Krystal, myself. My one true main is already in the game.

I support Krystal because she's one of those characters from a favourite series who I feel absolutely deserves to be added to Smash (and the fact that she could've made it once before and only lost out due to time-constraints only adds to this), and because she's a character I'd like to fight against, or alongside in a team. :grin:

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Actually, confession time: I won't be playing as Krystal, myself. My one true main is already in the game.

I support Krystal because she's one of those characters from a favourite series who I feel absolutely deserves to be added to Smash (and the fact that she could've made it once before and only lost out due to time-constraints only adds to this), and because she's a character I'd like to fight against, or alongside in a team. :grin:
That's a great perspective to hear, I certainly agree she deserves being a playable fighter. I tend to main Ike but will likely play quite alot of Krystal as a more speedy option. Just more waiting for Krystal fans to be had. We've survived this long we'll hold out just fine during this period.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I can't say whether or not I'd play Krystal without trying her out but I know I'd enjoy her hat.
oh her hat! I see what you did there. I take it you play kirby then haha. Had to think about that for a second. rofl

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'm only asking because I remember seeing this video, is there going to be more like this? I'm only asking because I think in order to really build things up, there has to be some way of doing it.

By the way, I ran into this as I searched for possible videos

On a different note, that that I think I could do this, but I thought of the idea of making up patches. Considering how there's only just the one that came with Zero preorders, I kinda thought about other designs, but I dont think I can pull that off. Though somewhat related, I was at a con about a few weeks ago (the 31st-2nd) and ran into a vendor who had lanyard clip ons. Long story short he had Fox, Falco, and Wolf. I asked if there was a possibility of the rest from the series being made, and he told me he intends to. What i'm saying is only to be sure of it, i'd suggest to the guy about making Krystal.

Fantasmshop.com is the vendor, he has the same title for;

Etsy (fantasmshop)
Tumblr
Instagram
Facebook
Gmail

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
That first vid was adorable.

And on the other hand the second one showcasing Krystal over ZSS was terrifying. It just looks so off.

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
That first vid was adorable.

And on the other hand the second one showcasing Krystal over ZSS was terrifying. It just looks so off.
I agree on both of those counts. I actually remember watching that first one a while back as well, I can confirm of the video's adorableness. I also cringe every time Krystal does the down smash or crawls on that second video. Maybe there will be an update for it that doesn't look so stiff, so far it looks like we almost have a good Krystal in Sm4sh! For now I will just keep playing the brawl version. xD

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I dont know if all of this would help, but...

>More videos, depending dont sound mad or anything, try to sound reasonable if you do something like sweeto does (unless he makes more) especially if it's on a topic of how Adventures wasnt that bad. I'd honestly avoid doing one of those slideshow "tribute" videos.
>I dont know, some kind of merch? You've seen what i've done but ironically i'm not that good with digital art to be able to make something on the lines of a sticker, but who knows. I do still have some bead sprites of Krystal and a few others
-Basically i'm suggesting Redbubble for stuff like this as there isnt that much in the way of Star Fox merch.
-I mean, I thought of a embroidery patch but I literally have no skill in that
>More miiverse posts about her, drawings are a plus. Do NOT make these posts on any of the Star Fox communities unless you're somehow "popular", you wont get any attention and in one case a notorious individual will lose it and attack you out of spite. Either the Smash, Youtube, or any active community that seems appropriate is recommended
-If you have the Badge Arcade, really push her there as well. I've attempted my menu to be featured several times but nothing as of yet. If you want you can copy mine
>I dont have a Switch, but if there's something like miiverse then make posts about her, anything to raise awareness.
-Major note: assuming someone would be stupid enough to use a certain argument against her, counter this with the certain three who also have the same treatment. Not only that but stress how pointless such an argument is as it's applied to literally every thing. Worse case point out the double standard. You could just ignore this too, but in case it somehow gets out of hand

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I always found the Krystal Smash mods to be funny, since she just looks so out-of-place. Mostly just due to them using her trophy as a base, which doesn't have any natural face animations, and the fact that no moveset really fits her. Goes to show that Krystal really is her own character, and can't just be shoehorned in as a clone/semi-clone.

Also, just noticed that Smokey21 Smokey21 is new to Smashboards as well. Welcome.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sure the Krystal mod can be... modified with more custom tweaks. Like hand animation, making the tail flow and a little blinking.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
>I dont have a Switch, but if there's something like miiverse then make posts about her, anything to raise awareness.
Miiverse was dropped for the Switch. Instead, the Switch has on-board options for posting in-game screenshots (taken using the console's screenshot button) to standard social-media services.

This probably won't be useful in Krystal's case until any games in which she appears or cameos are released on the Switch.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr
- Those are all good ideas! I myself wouldn't be able to make videos as I don't really have the skill-set/personality for it.

- The main problem with Star Fox merch is that most of it is done privately or on redbubble/etsy and like you said there really isn't much. I have a few Krystal figures in custom poses and a Krystal shirt as well as every SF amiibo(not much xD) and a six inch Fox Statue ^_^. I used redbubble for most my stuff as well as etsy for the Krystal figures.

- I had no idea that the miiverse was THAT cutthroat as I never really used it much in the past until Mario Maker, but that's good to know.

- I don't have a Badge Arcade account... maybe you can help me set one up and I may take you up on copying it! :)

- I don't have a switch atm either because I am waiting for smash to be revealed(whatever it may be port or new game) or a new Metroid game. I highly doubt they will talk about a new SF game since zero JUST came out last year, but we can hope. If it does have a miiverse-ish setting on it that would be a good place to get her more attention as so far the switch has been Nintendo's best selling console ever(they plan to pass up the wii in sales which is highly unlikely, but they're still talking it up like it will and that is a possibility if the console continues to have a steady stream of games).

AlphaSSB AlphaSSB
Actually I agree with you there. The brawl ones are pretty solid atm. The peach one by the randomizer actually has her staff modeled in over the golf club. Her final smash also looks hilarious. And yeah that is a really good point. She would definitely have a unique moveset. Sakurai has stated as much with his comments on time constraints and wolf's inclusion as a near clone. We just don't know how they will do it.

And thanks! I'm happy to be here! ∩( ・ω・)∩

Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
And yeah it will only take slight tweaks like those to fix the entire mod to make it enjoyable.

Edit - Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin
Oh hey question answered! Thanks Tortilla! ^.^

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
- I don't have a Badge Arcade account... maybe you can help me set one up and I may take you up on copying it! :)
Nintendo Badge Arcade is a free-to-play game for the 3DS. You just need to hop onto the eShop and download it. ;)

as so far the switch has been Nintendo's best selling console ever
Actually, that would fall to the DS, which is currently the best-selling dedicated video games console of all time. ;) Even the Wii didn't get close to the DS.

The Switch is their fastest-selling console ever, though, true. :4dedede:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo Badge Arcade is a free-to-play game for the 3DS. You just need to hop onto the eShop and download it. ;)

Actually, that would fall to the DS, which is currently the best-selling dedicated video games console of all time. ;) Even the Wii didn't get close to the DS.

The Switch is their fastest-selling console ever, though, true. :4dedede:
That would explain why I haven't really heard much about it... it's on 3ds I don't really play on hand-helds much. Guess I wouldn't really be able to help out there unless I shell out the cash xD.

Technicalities dude xD! I am full aware of 3ds sales(why I mentioned console xD) haha,

On a side note it really is looking good for the switch! This e3 there is a lot of pressure on nintendo to show a lot of games because the biggest complaint about the switch from people that have it is that there seems to be a lack of games on it and one of the reasons I don't currently have one yet.

Edit - Just checked the support group on youtube and when I subbed you only had 5. Dang that's some nice progress! :)

Last edited:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Awesome to see my video that I made on Krystal's potential inclusion in Smash here!
It would definitely help our cause if other Youtube creators jumped on the Krystal support train and made their own videos on her but sadly I don't talk to too many gaming related channels other than the Smashified guys (who I already helped with their Krystal episode) and Gamexplain who are typically unbiased commentators and don't promote these sorts of support movements.

Regarding Krystal's staff in Smash Bros, I think the majority of people including myself would much prefer for her to have it as it would guarantee her a completely unique play-style and make her stand out more (not to mention referencing Adventures which is terribly under-rated)
As for me though, I would be happy even if she somehow made it into Smash without her staff as it would raise her popularity and awareness in both the Smash and Star Fox series, which would in turn most likely keep her from ever disappearing again.

I thought I should also update you all that our Krystal support team on Youtube now has around 20 members!
Please remember that it contains the organized playlist of Nintendo videos that we should all be targeting with our unified support! I've seen LOTS of comments already on a few of these videos, you guys are KILLING it, great job!
If you know of any other avid Krystal fans that may want to join our movement please let them know about our Youtube group here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbLPk-Ifjy_DWF3LCHxMIQ

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Awesome to see my video that I made on Krystal's potential inclusion in Smash here!
It would definitely help our cause if other Youtube creators jumped on the Krystal support train and made their own videos on her but sadly I don't talk to too many gaming related channels other than the Smashified guys (who I already helped with their Krystal episode) and Gamexplain who are typically unbiased commentators and don't promote these sorts of support movements.

Regarding Krystal's staff in Smash Bros, I think the majority of people including myself would much prefer for her to have it as it would guarantee her a completely unique play-style and make her stand out more (not to mention referencing Adventures which is terribly under-rated)
As for me though, I would be happy even if she somehow made it into Smash without her staff as it would raise her popularity and awareness in both the Smash and Star Fox series, which would in turn most likely keep her from ever disappearing again.

I thought I should also update you all that our Krystal support team on Youtube now has around 20 members!
Please remember that it contains the organized playlist of Nintendo videos that we should all be targeting with our unified support! I've seen LOTS of comments already on a few of these videos, you guys are KILLING it, great job!
If you know of any other avid Krystal fans that may want to join our movement please let them know about our Youtube group here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbLPk-Ifjy_DWF3LCHxMIQ
Good to see you again jordansweeto jordansweeto in reference to your video there in case you still don't know her pterodactyl friend's name is Kyte(spelling could be wrong pretty sure it's not though)! ^.^

That's awesome that the Krystal support team is doing so well! how fast has it been growing? You seem pretty excited so it must be pretty solid :). I will go through the videos again later and post some more support later today... currently playing with a friend online and working in between queue times xD. But when I finish I will go post some more support!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, there tend to be non-disclosure clauses in contracts to keep voice actors from spoiling things before they're officially announced. Matthew Mercer denied being contacted by Nintendo to do voice work for Smash (back when everyone thought Chrom was a shoo in), but it turns out he did record lines for Chrom even in his non-playable role.

Though there's also the chance he wasn't contacted until after when he was asked...

Or how about a different example? Hideki Kamiya is known for mouthing off on Twitter and went out of his way to tell anyone who pestered him about Bayonetta/Wonder Red/anyone Platinum has touched getting in as DLC to knock it off...until Bayonetta got in after all.

Basically, we can't really take what voice actors or major figures say about Smash inclusions at face value, because they may or may not have reasons to keep something secret.

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, there tend to be non-disclosure clauses in contracts to keep voice actors from spoiling things before they're officially announced. Matthew Mercer denied being contacted by Nintendo to do voice work for Smash (back when everyone thought Chrom was a shoo in), but it turns out he did record lines for Chrom even in his non-playable role.

Though there's also the chance he wasn't contacted until after when he was asked...

Or how about a different example? Hideki Kamiya is known for mouthing off on Twitter and went out of his way to tell anyone who pestered him about Bayonetta/Wonder Red/anyone Platinum has touched getting in as DLC to knock it off...until Bayonetta got in after all.

Basically, we can't really take what voice actors or major figures say about Smash inclusions at face value, because they may or may not have reasons to keep something secret.
Pretty much yeah... Great examples by the way. Either way I don't think we will know anything concrete until E3 or the next Smash Brothers direct, whenever that may be.

Wolf was like one of those characters that should 100% have been DLC no question. It was a crime we didn't get him. He'd better be in the next one (hopefully with Krystal in tow too)

Also I got high hopes for E3 this year especially if that job listing is legit. Releasing Smash Bros early into the life of a console is always a solid choice.
I am almost equally upset with Wolf's exclusion from the game in it's current form as I am with Krystal not making it as DLC for the Wii U/3DS. The reasoning for his removal was lame as well. here is a link if you wanted to see, Snakes is kinda lame too. Either way I am hyped for E3 this year though! Hopefully we get the Smash news that we need and deserve! /hypetrain

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
That's why i was surprised she agreed to tell me because i figured they wouldn't let her tell me, but even "sorry I can't say anything about that" is quite telling. I still don't really get why Wolf was excluded and equally unsure why he didn't make it as DLC. I think porting him from Brawl instead of giving us the near pure clones (Lucina and Dark Pit) would be nicer but I have no idea what really was going on during the games development nor the actual effort required to port fighters. But yes we definitely have big hopes for E3, let's see how much they really learned from the Wii U. Because there's no real reason to get a Switch yet unless you're a Zelda fan, and they claimed they realized not having games on launch is bad for purchasing it, Yet somehow it's still selling rapidly anyway. Though I remember reading something that also stated they wanted to spread out releases aswell which seems like a tease to me. I atleast hope that they announce a handful of worthwhile sequels at E3 as I'm personally not interested in any new IP.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I am almost equally upset with Wolf's exclusion from the game in it's current form as I am with Krystal not making it as DLC for the Wii U/3DS. The reasoning for his removal was lame as well. here is a link if you wanted to see, Snakes is kinda lame too. Either way I am hyped for E3 this year though! Hopefully we get the Smash news that we need and deserve! /hypetrain
Those are pretty terrible reasons for cutting Wolf and not bringing him back as DLC, especially since we got Roy, the main character from a single FE game that was cut after Melee over the main anti-hero from Starfox that has appeared in multiple games. I know Roy was like the only possible Melee cut veteran to bring back but they could have just brought back Wolf instead, or brought back both that would be even better.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Because there's no real reason to get a Switch yet unless you're a Zelda fan, and they claimed they realized not having games on launch is bad for purchasing it, Yet somehow it's still selling rapidly anyway. Though I remember reading something that also stated they wanted to spread out releases aswell which seems like a tease to me.
Well, the release-schedule that's been shown thus far suggests one major first-party title per month, so they certainly have learned from what went wrong with the Wii U, which wasn't so much a lack of games at launch, but a lack of games for the first year. The better planning and spacing appears to have already eliminated this for the Switch.

Not a Zelda fan, here, but I've been having a blast (ahem) with Super Bomberman R, FAST RMX, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (as well as the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire, which was over way too soon :(), and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is out tomorrow. :grin:

Hoping for a Star Fox title, amongst other things, sooner rather than later... Here's hoping for good things at E3!

EDIT: Actually, there's a thought - if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe were to get DLC, there could be a chance of some Star Fox content, right? That might generate some screenshots that would be useful to anyone who's campaigning for Krystal on social-media.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Those reasons are theoretical, I can't really think of a good reason for excluding him. I can think of another reason being because he didn't actually deserve to be there in the first place, being the backup dancer to Krystal. But her being excluded from SSB4 can make that reason fall flat. Roy/Mewtwo are very popular Melee characters, but Wolf was also one of the most loved brawl characters. I think Wolf stands a pretty vibrant chance of returning, but then again we all thought he'd be a DLC fighter. I'm also concerned about series representation as i'm curious if Starfox is allowed 4 reps. I think the series needs to do a little better in their eyes for that. But at a counterpoint the smash scene has shown great interest in both and that seems a poor reason to prevent people from having what they want considering Wolf is a low-effort character for them aswell. I'd love an animated trailer for both Wolf and Krystal's appearence, We already had that pretty sweet promotional video and I think there's enough content for a pretty hype-inducing trailer with those two fighters.

Ah so they did really space out releases, that would agree with the article I read then. I tend to have very specific desires and will only really likely get the Switch after the release aformentioned titles, I also might get FE warriors even though I know i won't see the best catgirl in it, Ike is a pretty good motivator though.

I kinda doubt we'd hear any Starfox news this E3 as it seems pretty early, but I'd love a simple mention of "Oh, a new starfox title is being made" even if there was nothing else to show.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
That's why i was surprised she agreed to tell me because i figured they wouldn't let her tell me, but even "sorry I can't say anything about that" is quite telling. I still don't really get why Wolf was excluded and equally unsure why he didn't make it as DLC. I think porting him from Brawl instead of giving us the near pure clones (Lucina and Dark Pit) would be nicer but I have no idea what really was going on during the games development nor the actual effort required to port fighters. But yes we definitely have big hopes for E3, let's see how much they really learned from the Wii U. Because there's no real reason to get a Switch yet unless you're a Zelda fan, and they claimed they realized not having games on launch is bad for purchasing it, Yet somehow it's still selling rapidly anyway. Though I remember reading something that also stated they wanted to spread out releases aswell which seems like a tease to me. I atleast hope that they announce a handful of worthwhile sequels at E3 as I'm personally not interested in any new IP.
Indeed! none of us have any clue as to the process behind the character cuts, we just have interviews to go off mainly because they normally don't tell us anything until after interviewers bring up the topic.

Those are pretty terrible reasons for cutting Wolf and not bringing him back as DLC, especially since we got Roy, the main character from a single FE game that was cut after Melee over the main anti-hero from Starfox that has appeared in multiple games. I know Roy was like the only possible Melee cut veteran to bring back but they could have just brought back Wolf instead, or brought back both that would be even better.
I know right?! The real head scratcher to me though was the removal of Snake to keep the rating at an acceptable level? I guess that also means he can never come back... ah well I did enjoy him as a character. :(

Well, the release-schedule that's been shown thus far suggests one major first-party title per month, so they certainly have learned from what went wrong with the Wii U, which wasn't so much a lack of games at launch, but a lack of games for the first year. The better planning and spacing appears to have already eliminated this for the Switch.

Not a Zelda fan, here, but I've been having a blast (ahem) with Super Bomberman R, FAST RMX, and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (as well as the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire, which was over way too soon :(), and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is out tomorrow. :grin:

Hoping for a Star Fox title, amongst other things, sooner rather than later... Here's hoping for good things at E3!

EDIT: Actually, there's a thought - if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe were to get DLC, there could be a chance of some Star Fox content, right? That might generate some screenshots that would be useful to anyone who's campaigning for Krystal on social-media.
Yessir it does suggest that Nintendo does indeed have it together for the moment! I am sure they still have some games lined up for later this year that they aren't telling us as well. At E3 we will definitely know for sure if they truly have learned from their mistakes, I however am very hopeful that they will do well this year! ^_^

I will probably get a switch after E3 depending on the Smash news and whatever else that they unveil there. I am pretty sure they are saving up a crazy lineup to steal the show this year. They have been super quiet for too long. :)

A Star Fox title would be amazing but I don't think we will see anything on it this year sadly. I know Miyamoto stated a few months ago on some show that he wishes that Fox McCloud was more popular. So it isn't in the realm of impossibility that we could get something at the show this year. I remain hopeful though!

And yeah that is a good idea Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin , aren't they talking about adding new DLC to MK8D on twitter atm?

Last edited:
Top Bottom