• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I've made a cheesy mockup of that, but I cant guarantee it'd happen. If I had an embroidery machine I would honestly do it, though I dont know how one works and wonder if it's like a scanner or printer. The other one uses a quote of hers in Assault, the reason for it is because upon it being noticed that it got tied into a certain joke that a guy drew a few images of her in reference to it. Some even say she did it before it was a thing.
what does your current design look like? I know you have some ideas of your own.

Edit - Anyways this should give you a pretty good idea.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I've made a cheesy mockup of that, but I cant guarantee it'd happen. If I had an embroidery machine I would honestly do it, though I dont know how one works and wonder if it's like a scanner or printer. The other one uses a quote of hers in Assault, the reason for it is because upon it being noticed that it got tied into a certain joke that a guy drew a few images of her in reference to it. Some even say she did it before it was a thing.
If you're interested in creating something for people to buy you could try getting it too http://www.redbubble.com/ I know you can find some Krystal merchandise there already.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah dude! I love that site. I got this from there. I got this for my phone from there as well. There's a lot of cool Krystal-related stuff on there.
Would be nice to have official Krystal merchandise, You can find a decent amount of fan created content but nothing official to my knowledge, Though there's only one realistic official product I'd know I'd want and my Fox and Falco amiibo would be inclined to agree.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Would be nice to have official Krystal merchandise, You can find a decent amount of fan created content but nothing official to my knowledge, Though there's only one realistic official product I'd know I'd want and my Fox and Falco amiibo would be inclined to agree.
I know what I want to see officially as well! My Fox and Falco aren't alone, but I would improve upon that if I knew that we were getting something official in the future! Only a month left until E3! :)

I think anyone who has Fox and Falco also got SF:Zero because yeah black arwing and retro arwing to start with is pretty fun. SNES corneria theme is bae when you play the retro. other than the first level though I stuck with the black arwing because glass cannon mode is so much more enjoyable, also multi-targetting up to three targets is OP!

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I know what I want to see officially as well! My Fox and Falco aren't alone, but I would improve upon that if I knew that we were getting something official in the future! Only a month left until E3! :)

I think anyone who has Fox and Falco also got SF:Zero because yeah black arwing and retro arwing to start with is pretty fun. SNES corneria theme is bae when you play the retro. other than the first level though I stuck with the black arwing because glass cannon mode is so much more enjoyable, also multi-targetting is OP!
The retro arwing is garbage but the black arwing is so good, it's lasers are op, but I gotta say it makes an already hard game even harder because it dies in 3 hits.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
The retro arwing is garbage but the black arwing is so good, it's lasers are op, but I gotta say it makes an already hard game even harder because it dies in 3 hits.
Yeah I agree retro arwing is garbage. But it makes the game more challenging in a different way as it can't lock on if I remember correctly. So your charge shots have to be manually aimed. But it's just so much more fun being a glass cannon destroy everything ship of doom. The only reason to play retro arwing is to hear the original Corneria theme from SF SNES. You know... for nostalgia reasons!

I love the playstyle for the black arwing too much to do anything else. You know what level was actually challenging and really taught you how to play the game? Sector Omega. Learning that level with the black arwing was pretty hectic, but it was probably the most enjoyment I got out of the game.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I cant guarantee this, but just in case anyone got an idea of what should be written in this? Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 4.03.32 PM.png
Also if there's anyone else that's drawn in a style close to this, i'll try to propose those for patches as well.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I cant guarantee this, but just in case anyone got an idea of what should be written in this?View attachment 129156
Also if there's anyone else that's drawn in a style close to this, i'll try to propose those for patches as well.
Oh I like that! Well I can try to think of something to go in there.

What is she holding in the picture on the badge. Is it an orange? Or a ball?

If it's a ball - The lines that instantly pop in my head from looking at the picture are. "Want to play catch?" "Want to play ball?" Or "let's play" kinda like tricky from star fox adventures.

If it's an orange - "Join me at the table?" "Want a bite?" Or "would you like some?"

But yeah... maybe someone else can think of something better. I tried my best haha. If I think of anything better I'll mke an edit.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'm assuming it's the grenade in Assault, this is the original image. Why I had to modify it is because I guess with getting things set up for getting a patch made, it has to be not too fancy. Also whoever can translate this, it might help with what to put in?
Krystal Ball.jpg

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
When I hit save image it automatically outputs to "Krystal Ball" so I think it's actually a ball. was trying to do an image translate but it comes out as complete gibberish. =p

As for the translation I will have to ask my brother what it means... I will get back to you when I find out what it translates to!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming it's the grenade in Assault, this is the original image. Why I had to modify it is because I guess with getting things set up for getting a patch made, it has to be not too fancy. Also whoever can translate this, it might help with what to put in?
View attachment 129162
It looks like a christmas ornament to me, it would have to have been a concept for the grenade otherwise because the final version featured blue semi-spheres all over it

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
It looks like a christmas ornament to me, it would have to have been a concept for the grenade otherwise because the final version featured blue semi-spheres all over it
Oh hey you're right, it kinda does look like it could be either of those as well!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
View attachment 129162
The left reads "anata wa totomo ii (?) dayu", with the blank being a basic kanji for man that has multiple pronunciations. Without the "dayu" it means "you are a very nice/good person" but it lacks a verb so I would assume that it is meant to be "da yo" on the end, a more dramatic form of "desu" (essentially is/are).

The right reads "arigatou", meaning "thank you" but the "ga" is barely recognisable.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
The left reads "anata wa totomo ii (?) dayu", with the blank being a basic kanji for man that has multiple pronunciations. Without the "dayu" it means "you are a very nice/good person" but it lacks a verb so I would assume that it is meant to be "da yo" on the end, a more dramatic form of "desu" (essentially is/are).

The right reads "arigatou", meaning "thank you" but the "ga" is barely recognisable.
Sounds like she's accepting a gift, would be nice to know what the item is

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
It looks like a bauble but I can't honestly say for sure. The image doesn't give any real context.
Yeah there really isn't much for us to go off of... maybe TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr Has a little more insight into that since he found the image. I personally am in the camp of thinking it is a christmas ornament like Gagnetar Gagnetar was saying and from what you got out of the translation there.

Thanks for the help with that translation btw ryuu seika ryuu seika . That was going to bother me all day if I couldn't figure it out because I probably wouldn't have found out until 4-5 hours from now. lol

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
After re-analyzing the picture I've determined that that is actually her thumb and not an ornament handle. So it is in fact a ball she is holding. Yay we figured it out team!

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
After re-analyzing the picture I've determined that that is actually her thumb and not an ornament handle. So it is in fact a ball she is holding. Yay we figured it out team!
You're fricken right, Does that mean we're going to play fetch? In any case if Nintendo is only going to show games releasing this year I don't hold much hope for Starfox or Smash news, They said they would announce more of what they're doing when e3 comes closer which I would think would suggest games releasing next year and/or beyond because other than the previous and the treehouse with the on floor event, what else would they really be doing? This could be a very boring e3 for Nintendo fans interested in games outside of their big 3, Unless metroid shows itself which it totally could. I'm gonna hope to see info for future titles because the switch line-up right now isn't very interesting.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
You're fricken right, Does that mean we're going to play fetch? In any case if Nintendo is only going to show games releasing this year I don't hold much hope for Starfox or Smash news, They said they would announce more of what they're doing when e3 comes closer which I would think would suggest games releasing next year and/or beyond because other than the previous and the treehouse with the on floor event, what else would they really be doing? This could be a very boring e3 for Nintendo fans interested in games outside of their big 3, Unless metroid shows itself which it totally could. I'm gonna hope to see info for future titles because the switch line-up right now isn't very interesting.
Hell yeah it does! That quote from that Nintendo article doesn't mean much. They will still show games for later years. They would be damning their own console if they didn't have any reassurance for next year. There was an article today stating what the next direct will be about. And I bet you can guess what it will be about /yawn. Yeah that's the big name that's being shouted from the rooftops for e3 this year; "Metroid". I really wouldn't be surprised if we did get a new Metroid announcement this e3, as for smash I'm hopeful that that one will show it's head as well this e3. I know a lot of fans would be very disappointed this year if it doesn't. That's also a major seller that they can't keep putting off with absolutely nothing known about it like whether it's a port or new game. There's way too much speculation going on at the moment for smash to not get addressed imho.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Hell yeah it does! That quote from that Nintendo article doesn't mean much. They will still show games for later years. They would be damning their own console if they didn't have any reassurance for next year. There was an article today stating what the next direct will be about. And I bet you can guess what it will be about /yawn. Yeah that's the big name that's being shouted from the rooftops for e3 this year; "Metroid". I really wouldn't be surprised if we did get a new Metroid announcement this e3, as for smash I'm hopeful that that one will show it's head as well this e3. I know a lot of fans would be very disappointed this year if it doesn't. That's also a major seller that they can't keep putting off with absolutely nothing known about it like whether it's a port or new game. There's way too much speculation going on at the moment for smash to not get addressed imho.
I certainly hope it does, we can't have this many bad e3's in a row can we? Reggie acts like they read everything on the internet which sounds like a flat lie but It'd be pretty hard to avoid hearing about smash switch anything on the net if just looked for what people want. It's a solid month away now so it's getting close, We'll be bound to see some new titles but I wonder what else they can really have in store for 2017, how many months are left that don't have a meaningful title?

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I certainly hope it does, we can't have this many bad e3's in a row can we? Reggie acts like they read everything on the internet which sounds like a flat lie but It'd be pretty hard to avoid hearing about smash switch anything on the net if just looked for what people want. It's a solid month away now so it's getting close, We'll be bound to see some new titles but I wonder what else they can really have in store for 2017, how many months are left that don't have a meaningful title?
Well after the last three years at e3 I wouldn't be able to say I'm surprised if it does end up sucking. Nintendo has a lot of expectation riding on their shoulders now for this year. So if they fail to deliver this year it would likely result in the plummeting sails of their new baby the switch. Which they are still gauging the interest on the console by staggering releases to retailers every two weeks on average. An example being that Toysrus is getting stock this Friday of switches nation wide for anyone on here who is interested in picking one up and probably GameStop next because Best Buy got a restock last time.

I did notice how Reggie does seem to act like he reads everything on the internet and I always thought that it was kinda funny as well. But yeah I don't think he reads everything either. I do, however, think he has plenty of informants, so he probably does have a pretty good idea of what people are saying. I don't think that they will destroy Mario odyssey sales by putting another major release around the holiday release position so we got a few fall positions available and maybe one more summer release that we don't know about. Either way if they were to only reveal games for this year that would be like 2-3 games. They may surprise us with more but it's not likely imo. Either way though we won't be waiting too much longer. I hope they show us at least one new game before the show through a direct, but I don't think the chances are too high for that to happen. :(

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Well after the last three years at e3 I wouldn't be able to say I'm surprised if it does end up sucking. Nintendo has a lot of expectation riding on their shoulders now for this year. So if they fail to deliver this year it would likely result in the plummeting sails of their new baby the switch. Which they are still gauging the interest on the console by staggering releases to retailers every two weeks on average. An example being that Toysrus is getting stock this Friday of switches nation wide for anyone on here who is interested in picking one up and probably GameStop next because Best Buy got a restock last time.

I did notice how Reggie does seem to act like he reads everything on the internet and I always thought that it was kinda funny as well. But yeah I don't think he reads everything either. I do, however, think he has plenty of informants, so he probably does have a pretty good idea of what people are saying. I don't think that they will destroy Mario odyssey sales by putting another major release around the holiday release position so we got a few fall positions available and maybe one more summer release that we don't know about. Either way if they were to only reveal games for this year that would be like 2-3 games. They may surprise us with more but it's not likely imo. Either way though we won't be waiting too much longer. I hope they show us at least one new game before the show through a direct, but I don't think the chances are too high for that to happen. :(
Let's hope they've really learned from the past and keep the games train going, there's a moderate market of people they haven't gotten the switch, though our beloved franchises sell less so it's unrealistic to expect too much from them but I doubt that will affect very much. We'll have to see which series gets the open-world treatment because I think either Metroid or Star Fox could get it because it fits fairly nicely in Metroid and because Starfox is experimental could have it or something else different.

They say they take everything to heart on Internet, they were surprised to hear everyone asking about Gamecube virtual console, That'd be awesome but I don't know if they'll actually do it. It'd be a pretty sweet feature later. Though I wonder if they'll just follow suit with Intelligent systems and make special remakes of older games in the vein of Shadows of Valentia though it is a remake of a much older game. Even if it's only 2-3 games, that could be amazing depending on the IP they show but I don't really know what to expect. They do want to bring one each atleast of their big hitting franchises, Starfox and Metroid don't really pass as big hitting, more of a cult following. All of us here will likely be waiting longer for our blue vixen to show up again, though it's not like we're not used to waiting.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's always so strange when two people with the same character in their avatars have a back and forth like that.

Luminario

Smash Lord
It's always so strange when two people with the same character in their avatars have a back and forth like that.
It's kinda like watching clones talk intensely to each other. A magical experience.

You know, the only bad part about them bringing in Krystal as a newcomer is that they'll likely bring back Orbital Gate Assault as her home stage due to Assault being her first playable appearance as part of the team, and that stage is TERRIBLE.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda like watching clones talk intensely to each other. A magical experience.

You know, the only bad part about them bringing in Krystal as a newcomer is that they'll likely bring back Orbital Gate Assault as her home stage due to Assault being her first playable appearance as part of the team, and that stage is TERRIBLE.
Dude i love that stage, it's the prettiest damn thing for the prettiest game i've played. Being even moderately good at that stage lets you shread your friends

Luminario

Smash Lord
Dude i love that stage, it's the prettiest damn thing for the prettiest game i've played. Being even moderately good at that stage lets you shread your friends
Oh it's absolutely gorgeous, but christ the platforms are so unreliable, ESPECIALLY the Arwing parts. I get what they were trying to do with having a stage in the heat of battle and all but it's just too much sometimes.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Oh it's absolutely gorgeous, but christ the platforms are so unreliable, ESPECIALLY the Arwing parts. I get what they were trying to do with having a stage in the heat of battle and all but it's just too much sometimes.
That's what I use against people, I enjoy crowded elements because there's so much stimulation and it's just exciting.

I was just researching a bit about that Smash 6 listing back when, it's curious because it was before switch devkits were released by a considerable margin, but It was also listed as Smash 6 before anyone actually knew the 3ds and the wii u version are considered 4 and 5. Apparently the team was 120 strong for those titles and that they got another 80 to give us 200. Perhaps it being released at 2015 was just an oversight by them, hard to say. But it also mentioned them being in a setup for social gaming, which reflects the words mentioned on the direct about splatoon/Arms, To my knowledge there's a window for smash in the fall so if they've really been developing it this whole time, it seems possible to actually have it this year, it's clearly a console seller as a great portion of Wii U owners own smash, and If they want to boost sales it just seems like a great title to put into this strong competitive thing they have going.

Luminario

Smash Lord
That's what I use against people, I enjoy crowded elements because there's so much stimulation and it's just exciting.

I was just researching a bit about that Smash 6 listing back when, it's curious because it was before switch devkits were released by a considerable margin, but It was also listed as Smash 6 before anyone actually knew the 3ds and the wii u version are considered 4 and 5. Apparently the team was 120 strong for those titles and that they got another 80 to give us 200. Perhaps it being released at 2015 was just an oversight by them, hard to say. But it also mentioned them being in a setup for social gaming, which reflects the words mentioned on the direct about splatoon/Arms, To my knowledge there's a window for smash in the fall so if they've really been developing it this whole time, it seems possible to actually have it this year, it's clearly a console seller as a great portion of Wii U owners own smash, and If they want to boost sales it just seems like a great title to put into this strong competitive thing they have going.
It would make complete sense to start Smash development as soon as possible to release it at the earliest time, it's an absolute hit along with things like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.
We've only got less than a month to find out anyway so lets hope for the best~ cause at this point there's not much else to do.
I'm gonna miss the newcomer reveals during Ninty Directs that happened during the run up to Smash 4 release though, they made everyone go crazy, it was spectacular. If Smash Switch is releasing in autumn they're probably not gonna have enough time to reveal a plethora of newcomers in that short span of time like they did before, unless they just throw those reveal trailers out there every other week.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It would make complete sense to start Smash development as soon as possible to release it at the earliest time, it's an absolute hit along with things like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing.
We've only got less than a month to find out anyway so lets hope for the best~ cause at this point there's not much else to do.
I'm gonna miss the newcomer reveals during Ninty Directs that happened during the run up to Smash 4 release though, they made everyone go crazy, it was spectacular. If Smash Switch is releasing in autumn they're probably not gonna have enough time to reveal a plethora of newcomers in that short span of time like they did before, unless they just throw those reveal trailers out there every other week.
The switch isn't exactly a conventional console and they seem to be doing slightly different things, particularly 3rd party support, porting titles and having a competitive focus, I just see it peaking with Smash this E3 if they really are interested in a strong start to the console and having it been long in development would lead to it. There just isn't too much left big hitters that fit the current bill, They do still have Pokemon up their sleeve somewhere which we could see next year unless they shock all of us and it's not smash or metroid and it's pokemon lol. I could see a pokken tournament enhanced port aswell on this competitive train. Eitherway I think alot of popular picks missed their shot for smash 4 and this time anyone who's going to get in from it will likely be in it during the switch's lifetime, I see few options as good as Krystal from a fighter standpoint, there's obviously some picks that have higher draw and we don't really know how well she really did but I still think she's got a good chance.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I was just researching a bit about that Smash 6 listing back when, it's curious because it was before switch devkits were released by a considerable margin,
Making it even more curious, this actually lines up with two separate things - one official, one unofficial;

1: The production of Super Mario Odyssey, which, though only mentioned as the "next 3D Mario game", was stated in an IGN interview to have also been started in April of 2014, which was the same month that the "Smash 6" job-listing went live.

2: The second part of the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours, which circulated from this source in mid-2014 and again in mid-2015, claimed that Wii U dev-kits were being used to do early work on the development of games for the new hardware that we later learned was the Switch. Curiously, this also somewhat lines up with how the "Smash 6" job-listing lined up with the first half of these rumours, which claimed that the alleged Diddy Kong Racing 2 was originally due for release in 2015 (although that game was still supposed to be for the Wii U at that point).

Also, to add to it, Smash 3DS/Wii U's engine is designed for scaling between wildly differing architectures, so it's probably been designed to be easily ported - after all, they had it up and running on both the ARM-based 3DS and the PowerPC-based Wii U simultaneously, and both games were maintained simultaneously throughout their support-period. This scalability would definitely be a boon on the Switch, since it needs to effectively do the same thing when docked or undocked (it's why I've speculated for most of the time that I've been here that Smash 3DS/Wii U were, in part, a field-test for the then-future hybrid console; I still stand by that :laugh:).

To my knowledge there's a window for smash in the fall so if they've really been developing it this whole time, it seems possible to actually have it this year, it's clearly a console seller as a great portion of Wii U owners own smash, and If they want to boost sales it just seems like a great title to put into this strong competitive thing they have going.
If I've correctly understood the information that we have access to, then I'd say that E3 is "now or never" for seeing "Smash 6" - any later and it would suggest that the job-listing wasn't for what it says it was for, since at this point, it's already had more development time than any other Smash title ever made, to date.

They've said it'll be a big E3, they need it to be a big E3, and they need all the show-stealers that they can show. I think that Smash would definitely qualify as one of those show-stealers. :laugh:

unless they just throw those reveal trailers out there every other week.
This would be totally in line with how they're working to build buzz for releases on the Switch, really. :p

I could see a pokken tournament enhanced port aswell on this competitive train.
I could, too; Reason being, the game looks like it was designed around having both a home version and an arcade one, because it was immediately integrated into The Pokemon Company International's annual schedule of events even though the Wii U was already dead by the time Pokken Tournament was released. Most of the people they want to be competing at Pokken won't have access to the arcade version, after all!

Eitherway I think alot of popular picks missed their shot for smash 4 and this time anyone who's going to get in from it will likely be in it during the switch's lifetime
I reckon so, too. Remember, also, that Smash 3DS/Wii U were the only games since Smash 64 to have been created without a fan-poll beforehand; Though they were never available internationally, the Smash 3DS/Wii U ballot had Japan-only forerunners for both Melee and Brawl, and they did say that the most recent ballot would be used for future titles as well.

This always added to my suspicion about Smash 3DS/Wii U being rushed out, incidentally - a content-light Smash game without a poll beforehand was something unthinkable until they were released.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
If I've correctly understood the information that we have access to, then I'd say that E3 is "now or never" for seeing "Smash 6" - any later and it would suggest that the job-listing wasn't for what it says it was for, since at this point, it's already had more development time than any other Smash title ever made, to date.

They've said it'll be a big E3, they need it to be a big E3, and they need all the show-stealers that they can show. I think that Smash would definitely qualify as one of those show-stealers. :laugh:
Indeed, if they show off Smash Switch at E3 this year they're gonna completely outshine everything else, and show the job listing was likely real.
Smash, Animal Crossing, and a Metroid game are games that would be big hits and dominate the headlines if they're revealed. I'd also say Starfox in there but knowing how Zero turned out we'll likely get "there's a Starfox game in the making" and that's it.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Making it even more curious, this actually lines up with two separate things - one official, one unofficial;

1: The production of Super Mario Odyssey, which, though only mentioned as the "next 3D Mario game", was stated in an IGN interview to have also been started in April of 2014, which was the same month that the "Smash 6" job-listing went live.

2: The second part of the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours, which circulated from this source in mid-2014 and again in mid-2015, claimed that Wii U dev-kits were being used to do early work on the development of games for the new hardware that we later learned was the Switch. Curiously, this also somewhat lines up with how the "Smash 6" job-listing lined up with the first half of these rumours, which claimed that the alleged Diddy Kong Racing 2 was originally due for release in 2015 (although that game was still supposed to be for the Wii U at that point).

Also, to add to it, Smash 3DS/Wii U's engine is designed for scaling between wildly differing architectures, so it's probably been designed to be easily ported - after all, they had it up and running on both the ARM-based 3DS and the PowerPC-based Wii U simultaneously, and both games were maintained simultaneously throughout their support-period. This scalability would definitely be a boon on the Switch, since it needs to effectively do the same thing when docked or undocked (it's why I've speculated for most of the time that I've been here that Smash 3DS/Wii U were, in part, a field-test for the then-future hybrid console; I still stand by that :laugh:).

This would be totally in line with how they're working to build buzz for releases on the Switch, really. :p

I could, too; Reason being, the game looks like it was designed around having both a home version and an arcade one, because it was immediately integrated into The Pokemon Company International's annual schedule of events even though the Wii U was already dead by the time Pokken Tournament was released. Most of the people they want to be competing at Pokken won't have access to the arcade version, after all!

I reckon so, too. Remember, also, that Smash 3DS/Wii U were the only games since Smash 64 to have been created without a fan-poll beforehand; Though they were never available internationally, the Smash 3DS/Wii U ballot had Japan-only forerunners for both Melee and Brawl, and they did say that the most recent ballot would be used for future titles as well.

This always added to my suspicion about Smash 3DS/Wii U being rushed out, incidentally - a content-light Smash game without a poll beforehand was something unthinkable until they were released.
I've heard that porting to the Switch is very easy so even without it's devkits they could in theory work on it using those Wii U kits without any intention to actually sell it on the Wii U, coupled with your theory of Smash Wii U/3DS being a field test would be some impressive forethought on their part and they really have been taking the game issues on the Wii U seriously. I had no idea there was a japan-only fan poll before the other titles, I reckon this means characters of more western fame have a better chance. Speaking of characters I completely forgot that the new prime is supposed to have Sylux in it, who is the far second to Ridley for a Metroid rep, Metroid was hinted by Reggie to make an appearence this year as a "true sequel" so uh, Sylux confirmed for smash? xD. Starfox has sold better in the west which does help us out a bit aswell for her votes.

Indeed there would be no reason to have it worked on so far in advance if they didn't intend to release it pretty quickly into the switch's lifecycle, I could see why they simply didn't vomit it out early, they took a gamble with just Zelda and it seemed to work and they want the largest internet hyped title for E3 as their big hit. I'm curious if Smash could have a decent storymode this time, It's not really connected but Splatoon 2 having a single-player mode seems unexpected to me and makes me think that it would have been considered again this time.

God those character tease reveals would drive me insane, I'm still putting money on the potential for a Wolf and Krystal trailer, they made the battle begins trailer which was well-received so they could potentially contact them to make the trailer.

Indeed, if they show off Smash Switch at E3 this year they're gonna completely outshine everything else, and show the job listing was likely real.
Smash, Animal Crossing, and a Metroid game are games that would be big hits and dominate the headlines if they're revealed. I'd also say Starfox in there but knowing how Zero turned out we'll likely get "there's a Starfox game in the making" and that's it.
I do expect a Metroid title as aforementioned, we also haven't seen anything on that animal crossing mobile game either, As for Starfox even that mention would be wonderful, as It could give them relevance, but I don't suspect any of that till next year for it's anniversary if anything, I'm thinking it's development is infact underway but I doubt they'll tell us that. Probably in development by Platinum Games unless for some reason Namco jumped on it.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mind that level as much, it was a good surprise on random map =p. I would like a new stage for star fox as well. Hopefully a Sauria related one because it's just a very colorful planet. The gimmick could be "Tricky's ball" which would just be an item you throw at people and if you land it Tricky comes in and attacks people for a while then takes the ball off stage again.

Indeed it totally makes sense and Nintendo likely is always starting development on the newer project as soon as the new ones come out, sometimes possibly even before the new one's are released through another company depending on how good they are.
The switch isn't exactly a conventional console and they seem to be doing slightly different things, particularly 3rd party support, porting titles and having a competitive focus, I just see it peaking with Smash this E3 if they really are interested in a strong start to the console and having it been long in development would lead to it. There just isn't too much left big hitters that fit the current bill, They do still have Pokemon up their sleeve somewhere which we could see next year unless they shock all of us and it's not smash or metroid and it's pokemon lol. I could see a pokken tournament enhanced port aswell on this competitive train. Eitherway I think alot of popular picks missed their shot for smash 4 and this time anyone who's going to get in from it will likely be in it during the switch's lifetime, I see few options as good as Krystal from a fighter standpoint, there's obviously some picks that have higher draw and we don't really know how well she really did but I still think she's got a good chance.
Yeah the whole 3rd party thing is big for Nintendo atm. back before they even announced the switch articles were already claiming the demise of Nintendo being imminent if they don't put out any 3rd party support. Personally not my thing as I get Nintendo for Nintendo stuff exclusively as I just love a lot of the IP they have. But I won't buy a switch for mario/zelda, I like the sci-fi genres that they put out like Metroid and Star Fox, as well as Smash by affiliation ofc. I really hope we do get Krystal in Smash this time!

Yeah I am not sure as to how they can't announce Smash at this E3 a lot of fans were upset that they still hadn't announced it back in November at the switch reveal. So much so that Reggie had to get up and say it will be addressed, along with Metroid/Mother 3. I never played any of the Mother games and don't understand how it got so popular though. I am sure it's a great game as I haven't heard a bad thing about it, it just kinda came out of no where and is pretty much the top requested game on the streams every time they do one.
Yeah I am sure at least one of those games will be addressed at E3. We haven't gotten anything from Nintendo on any of those franchises yet so it's a high chance atm, as well as Pokemon which will probably be another Pokken game. Just hearing that a Star Fox game in the making and knowing who is making it would alleviate a lot of my fears for the direction of the franchise. It's the not knowing that really sucks when it comes to anything Nintendo. They have a bad tendancy to reveal things super close to release dates. It's kinda funny how sony shows off games that don't come out for 3-4 years and everyone cheers about it. I guess Nintendo really doesn't like announcing something and failing? I don't know. xD

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm curious if Smash could have a decent storymode this time, It's not really connected but Splatoon 2 having a single-player mode seems unexpected to me and makes me think that it would have been considered again this time.
Yeah, I agree that there's not much of a connection, there - Splatoon 1 had a single-player mode, as well, and one of the biggest requests for either the first game's DLC or for a sequel was for it to be expanded upon. It would've been more surprising if Splatoon 2 lacked such a thing! :laugh:

Anyway, that does remind me of something. I remember being told - though I can't seem to put my hands on the source right now - that, early on, there was a Melee-style Adventure Mode promoted for Smash 3DS/Wii U, which ultimately didn't materialise. I've always found the notion of it strange, as it has to have gone somewhere...

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, that does remind me of something. I remember being told - though I can't seem to put my hands on the source right now - that, early on, there was a Melee-style Adventure Mode promoted for Smash 3DS/Wii U, which ultimately didn't materialise. I've always found the notion of it strange, as it has to have gone somewhere...
I have never heard that before. I hope you can find the source for that, it would be interesting to read.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree that there's not much of a connection, there - Splatoon 1 had a single-player mode, as well, and one of the biggest requests for either the first game's DLC or for a sequel was for it to be expanded upon. It would've been more surprising if Splatoon 2 lacked such a thing! :laugh:

I second that source request, Either way I'd like some kind of single player gamemode other than classic and the other things made for the purpose of having unlockable content, Though I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't get one aslong as we got plenty of fighters. Am gonna get another gamecube controller because I never actually got an orange one despite it being my favorite color all these years. I imagine they'll let you use gamecube controllers again since they seem to be here to stay.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Assuming that the what you were told is true, Smash Run is presumably the amalgamation of its various assets.

And Diddy Kong Racing 2 would be big news. It has been rumoured for roughly a decade now, with some pretty plausible explanations for its setbacks having surfaced but what most convinces me of its legitimacy is the lack of Diddy Kong in any current Mario Kart title (7 or 8). As a popular veteran, it seems super weird that they'd put metallic peach in over him without good reason.

It was also the fastest selling game of all time in its day, one of the very few rare projects Nintendo can legally produce a followup to, a genre cross that we've hardly seen since and a major part of an era that has a huge nostalgic following.

Whether they've been working on it or no, I have no idea, but the rumours seem viable and I want to believe.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Am gonna get another gamecube controller because I never actually got an orange one despite it being my favorite color all these years. I imagine they'll let you use gamecube controllers again since they seem to be here to stay.
Nintendo need to revisit the gamecube controller design. To this day it is still one of the most loved, and for good reason, but it lacks certain modern touches and has a few things that are utterly unnecessary now.

No game since the Wii's release, for example, has made use of analogue shoulder buttons so why require such a long L and R press? And why only have Z on the right when 3rd parties have clearly shown that people want it easily accessible from both sides?

Personally, I would love to see some clicky sticks in there like we see on Sony and Microsoft consoles. The tactility of them feels so right, even just as a means to fidget through cutscenes.

Top Bottom