• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Well if Miyamoto is the creative mind this time he does have a fondness for Star Fox and if he follows any fan interest with his game bias it's reasonable to expect Wolf and Krystal though he could end up doing Slippy over Krystal because I think he likes him and you can flex to make a fun kit out of him. I wouldn't suspect that though if he follows what people would want from the series. The Tellius games for FE are my favorite but am pretty biased towards Ike and I like the Laguz considerably. But they suffered from limited supply, and apparently RD in particular is considered one of the hardest games in the series. In any case Smash does a lot to advertise overseas appeal and I think the heavy character pairing mechanics are well-liked by western audiences from Awakening. In order to get something similiar we'd need someone with a Star Fox bias. If Sakurai would have made a Star Fox instead of a Kid Icarus game, I don't think we'd be here right now but there's nothing that can be done about that. We just have to wait and see if they dragged Sakurai back to Smash, without Iwata to do so I imagine this is possible or atleast him having a lesser role in the games development.
I've seen stuff on Slippy, but I really think Miyamoto only said that due to how virtually everyone hates him. This isnt to imply there isnt anyone who does like him, but what i'm saying is even dating back as far as when 64 was new everyone found him annoying that this actually resurfaced when 64 3D and Zero came about. I dont think I really saw anyone find him annoying in Adventures or Assault, but what do I know?
What I do know is a good portion of the champion Smash players do want Krystal to be playable in Smash, only one I can name is the one called Zero? The one with the scarf.

What I was really saying is the whole waifu thing would help because believe it or not that's something almost everyone in Japan does and works. Adding with how Krystal's a fox and how Foxes are I believe more popular and I think sacred as well, that would easily boost the series attention there. You could argue about Katt, but for some reason she didnt help, but say if they were to have every single girl added in the series then that would possibly save the series from dying. At least it would make it more popular in Japan, waifus is apparently serious business and a balance between the male and female cast would definitely help.

Though I firmly believe they should get Cyberconnect2 to help with the games, they're the only dev team in Japan who knows and loves the Kemono theme. They just need to get another team to deal with the gameplay, I loved Solatorobo and how much effort they put into it but it did suffer in being way too easy. Yeah I brought this up before...

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I've seen stuff on Slippy, but I really think Miyamoto only said that due to how virtually everyone hates him. This isnt to imply there isnt anyone who does like him, but what i'm saying is even dating back as far as when 64 was new everyone found him annoying that this actually resurfaced when 64 3D and Zero came about. I dont think I really saw anyone find him annoying in Adventures or Assault, but what do I know?
What I do know is a good portion of the champion Smash players do want Krystal to be playable in Smash, only one I can name is the one called Zero? The one with the scarf.

What I was really saying is the whole waifu thing would help because believe it or not that's something almost everyone in Japan does and works. Adding with how Krystal's a fox and how Foxes are I believe more popular and I think sacred as well, that would easily boost the series attention there. You could argue about Katt, but for some reason she didnt help, but say if they were to have every single girl added in the series then that would possibly save the series from dying. At least it would make it more popular in Japan, waifus is apparently serious business and a balance between the male and female cast would definitely help.

Though I firmly believe they should get Cyberconnect2 to help with the games, they're the only dev team in Japan who knows and loves the Kemono theme. They just need to get another team to deal with the gameplay, I loved Solatorobo and how much effort they put into it but it did suffer in being way too easy. Yeah I brought this up before...
In the article mentioning that there's also Nakat who agreed she was a good idea. ZeRo is a really big player and likely carries heavy influence. Also yes waifu culture is pretty big in japan and it has spread to the west. There's just a vocal community against them aswell. But I think Fire emblem has helped increase the interest in both japan and america. Yea for slippy i just figured i'd mention that, because dev bias is a very potent thing for something as opinionated as a smash roster. But fortunately for us what people will buy can definitely prove more important, in the case with Takamura who's lack of western fame prevent him from being playable.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I think citing players like ZeRo and Nakat is grossly overestimating their influence. If they were actively promoting the character to their fans and viewership that'd be one thing, but a few well known players who have simply said they'd like to see "x" character make it in isn't really going to help their chances. The influence of top level players is within the competitive community, not the overall fanbase. And dedicated Smash fans like ourselves who find ourselves on a site called Smashboards, is also eclipsed by the overall Nintendo fanbase. So basically a pretty niche foothold, even more so when Krystal isn't at all a major focus of theirs.

When it comes to individuals, the only people who can truly sway development choices are the developers themselves or other big names in the industry who have ties to Sakurai (see Kojima and :snake:) or key people at Nintendo like Miyamoto. At the end of the day though it'll be Sakurai's call. Miyamoto can make some suggestions for Sakurai to consider, but he can't (and given that their good friends won't) actively try to force his ideas onto him.

Slippy on the other hand is in a bit of a weird situation as well. The developers are quite fond of him, but he's definitely not as beloved by a lot of fans. That said he has just as much potential especially now with the advent of Star Fox Guard and has a leg up on Krystal by actually still being around and having a more or less guaranteed future given that he's one of the original characters.

Perhaps I'm completely off, but over the years, I've seen some people warm up to Slippy. It really depends on how perception of the character has changed overall, but I do think as a character he may actually fare better than say Tingle. Another character the developers like, but who is generally fairly unpopular/disliked in the west.

Likewise, Krystal has always had a large base of detractors as well. I figure that may have lessened over time as well, but it's really hard to say given the series' absence until now. However, my perception may be a bit different here, as while I do keep up with Smash and most of Nintendo's other franchises, I'm more or less an outsider looking in when it comes to Star Fox. I'm familiar with the games, and some of the development history, but not the overall fanbase.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I think citing players like ZeRo and Nakat is grossly overestimating their influence. If they were actively promoting the character to their fans and viewership that'd be one thing, but a few well known players who have simply said they'd like to see "x" character make it in isn't really going to help their chances. The influence of top level players is within the competitive community, not the overall fanbase. And dedicated Smash fans like ourselves who find ourselves on a site called Smashboards, is also eclipsed by the overall Nintendo fanbase. So basically a pretty niche foothold, even more so when Krystal isn't at all a major focus of theirs.

When it comes to individuals, the only people who can truly sway development choices are the developers themselves or other big names in the industry who have ties to Sakurai (see Kojima and :snake:) or key people at Nintendo like Miyamoto. At the end of the day though it'll be Sakurai's call. Miyamoto can make some suggestions for Sakurai to consider, but he can't (and given that their good friends won't) actively try to force his ideas onto him.

Slippy on the other hand is in a bit of a weird situation as well. The developers are quite fond of him, but he's definitely not as beloved by a lot of fans. That said he has just as much potential especially now with the advent of Star Fox Guard and has a leg up on Krystal by actually still being around and having a more or less guaranteed future given that he's one of the original characters.

Perhaps I'm completely off, but over the years, I've seen some people warm up to Slippy. It really depends on how perception of the character has changed overall, but I do think as a character he may actually fare better than say Tingle. Another character the developers like, but who is generally fairly unpopular/disliked in the west.

Likewise, Krystal has always had a large base of detractors as well. I figure that may have lessened over time as well, but it's really hard to say given the series' absence until now. However, my perception may be a bit different here, as while I do keep up with Smash and most of Nintendo's other franchises, I'm more or less an outsider looking in when it comes to Star Fox. I'm familiar with the games, and some of the development history, but not the overall fanbase.
The actual point of citing interest via the competitive scene is because of nintendo's current focus on competitive social gaming, as it's been mentioned by Doug Bowser in that context. Smash bros has a hardcore audience and they seem to understand that these days. So mentioning what a beloved person from the scene has an interest in seeing a character would add to her chances. No one expects them to be a one-man reason why a character is in smash. Just noteworthy members of the crowd. Also we don't even know for certain that Sakurai is even working on this proposed smash game as he's expressed disinterest in continuation of development for Smash in some manner. Granted they want the games to have a wider appeal than the competitive niche but it's illogical to not expect some catering to it. As for her future in the series her being excluded doesn't make very much sense. Zero was a reboot with some fancy addons, Of course there's no reason why she couldn't have been put in, but they didn't likely to keep it in the vein of 64/original like they so cling too. Or perhaps to keep the games canon accurate though I don't think miyamoto cares about the games canon that much. I was really speculating who could potentially take Sakurai's spot as the idea machine for the game if he's not working with it in that fashion. In that vein it's interesting to see that Starfox and Pikmin both were developed externally, the two series he wants to see being more popular, if they give development freedom like the rumors seem to be saying for that crossover game we're all hearing about then I'd imagine the team is likely to put their own spin on the series, Considering plats track record that could be very interesting for Star Fox.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The actual point of citing interest via the competitive scene is because of nintendo's current focus on competitive social gaming, as it's been mentioned by Doug Bowser in that context. Smash bros has a hardcore audience and they seem to understand that these days. So mentioning what a beloved person from the scene has an interest in seeing a character would add to her chances. No one expects them to be a one-man reason why a character is in smash. Just noteworthy members of the crowd. Also we don't even know for certain that Sakurai is even working on this proposed smash game as he's expressed disinterest in continuation of development for Smash in some manner. Granted they want the games to have a wider appeal than the competitive niche but it's illogical to not expect some catering to it. As for her future in the series her being excluded doesn't make very much sense. Zero was a reboot with some fancy addons, Of course there's no reason why she couldn't have been put in, but they didn't likely to keep it in the vein of 64/original like they so cling too. Or perhaps to keep the games canon accurate though I don't think miyamoto cares about the games canon that much. I was really speculating who could potentially take Sakurai's spot as the idea machine for the game if he's not working with it in that fashion. In that vein it's interesting to see that Starfox and Pikmin both were developed externally, the two series he wants to see being more popular, if they give development freedom like the rumors seem to be saying for that crossover game we're all hearing about then I'd imagine the team is likely to put their own spin on the series, Considering plats track record that could be very interesting for Star Fox.
Catering to the competitive community by finally acknowledging it and sponsoring events is very different from adding certain characters because of a few individuals within said community. If they try listening to the FGC, it'll be regarding things like balance and gameplay mechanics/elements such as making more legal stages, etc.

When it comes to deciding on the actual content like what stages, modes, characters, etc. they're more than likely going to continue doing what they've always done which is to gauge the interests of Nintendo fans as a whole.

And as a bit of an aside, despite Sakurai expressing how exhausting working on Smash is and repeatedly saying that each new game would be his last, he actually said he's not so sure anymore. He doesn't want to work on the series anymore, but at the same time he does. He's expressed some hesitation in passing the series on to someone else despite being tired of working on it.

I'm not trying to/going to say whether he will or won't return mind you, but I thought that was an interesting point that warranted being brought up. Sakurai can be pretty unpredictable so he might come back yet again despite everything he's said. He might just take a supervisory role next time, or maybe he could abandon the series for good and leave it entirely to whoever takes up the mantle of director when the time for the next Smash comes. Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

Going back to Krystal, I bring up her future so often because it's an unknown. Given that Zero is a reboot that once again retells the original Star Fox, her absence makes perfect sense, but as a rebooted universe we don't know where they'll take things. And given the circumstances of Krystal's inclusion into the series in the first place, it's possible that she may not return in the same role she once held, if she returns at all.

Again, I don't think it's likely that she won't return, but given that she's a divisive character, who wasn't even created for Star Fox originally, I'm staying open to the possibility unfortunate as it would it be.

And if you don't mind me asking, it's been awhile since I've popped into this thread, so what's this I see of a rumored crossover game involving Platinum?

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Catering to the competitive community by finally acknowledging it and sponsoring events is very different from adding certain characters because of a few individuals within said community. If they try listening to the FGC, it'll be regarding things like balance and gameplay mechanics/elements such as making more legal stages, etc.

When it comes to deciding on the actual content like what stages, modes, characters, etc. they're more than likely going to continue doing what they've always done which is to gauge the interests of Nintendo fans as a whole.

And as a bit of an aside, despite Sakurai expressing how exhausting working on Smash is and repeatedly saying that each new game would be his last, he actually said he's not so sure anymore. He doesn't want to work on the series anymore, but at the same time he does. He's expressed some hesitation in passing the series on to someone else despite being tired of working on it.

I'm not trying to/going to say whether he will or won't return mind you, but I thought that was an interesting point that warranted being brought up. Sakurai can be pretty unpredictable so he might come back yet again despite everything he's said. He might just take a supervisory role next time, or maybe he could abandon the series for good and leave it entirely to whoever takes up the mantle of director when the time for the next Smash comes. Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

Going back to Krystal, I bring up her future so often because it's an unknown. Given that Zero is a reboot that once again retells the original Star Fox, her absence makes perfect sense, but as a rebooted universe we don't know where they'll take things. And given the circumstances of Krystal's inclusion into the series in the first place, it's possible that she may not return in the same role she once held, if she returns at all.

Again, I don't think it's likely that she won't return, but given that she's a divisive character, who wasn't even created for Star Fox originally, I'm staying open to the possibility unfortunate as it would it be.

And if you don't mind me asking, it's been awhile since I've popped into this thread, so what's this I see of a rumored crossover game involving Platinum?
I'm just saying that the interests of big players will create a parroting interest in the fans, the scene only stands to get bigger, and it's icons more popular. It's not unreasonable to think they'd take into consideration what the competitive scene wants, being unique fighters, coupled with popular requests of everyone interested in having in the game. Things that both Krystal has which i'll reiterate is uncommon to have both of.

Yea sakurai is unpredictable, so we can't say anything for sure about him in general

I guess i confused you, was refering to kingdom battle and following the latest article about it says that ubisoft is largely responsible for the direction of the game. I say this because leaving it alone with miyamoto is risky business as miyamoto himself doesn't seem to like new storyline content for star fox if you follow his track record. the notable exception being Command. Assault am not really sure who did what with direction. Seeing as Miyamoto has started games being developed externally, in the case of Zero and Pikmin, maybe he'll let which ever team have more influence in developing it.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm just saying that the interests of big players will create a parroting interest in the fans, the scene only stands to get bigger, and it's icons more popular. It's not unreasonable to think they'd take into consideration what the competitive scene wants, being unique fighters, coupled with popular requests of everyone interested in having in the game. Things that both Krystal has which i'll reiterate is uncommon to have both of.

Yea sakurai is unpredictable, so we can't say anything for sure about him in general

I guess i confused you, was refering to kingdom battle and following the latest article about it says that ubisoft is largely responsible for the direction of the game. I say this because leaving it alone with miyamoto is risky business as miyamoto himself doesn't seem to like new storyline content for star fox if you follow his track record. the notable exception being Command. Assault am not really sure who did what with direction. Seeing as Miyamoto has started games being developed externally, in the case of Zero and Pikmin, maybe he'll let which ever team have more influence in developing it.
I agree that big name people give more exposure to things by sharing them with their fans, but that's why I originally said I would only see this being the case if it was something these players brought up frequently. They have their own characters that they support like any other fan, but they're not actively promoting them or anything. I got what you meant, I just don't see it as holding much of an influence at the moment. Any significance it might have is currently very small if not negligible.

If they do suddenly start aggressively pushing characters though, it'll likely be Sora from Kingdom Hearts. ZeRo, Nairo, Gunblade and a few others are pretty big KH fans. Not to say they can't push for more than one at once, but iirc, KH is a particular favorite of theirs. After that, I know Xenoblade comes next for ZeRo at least.

Yes you did confuse me at the end there.

You can't just say "rumored crossover" and "Platinum" and not have the proper context in between both sentences. :p
Mentioning Kingdom Battle, the Rabbids or at least just Ubisoft would've made what you were saying a lot clearer.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I agree that big name people give more exposure to things by sharing them with their fans, but that's why I originally said I would only see this being the case if it was something these players brought up frequently. They have their own characters that they support like any other fan, but they're not actively promoting them or anything. I got what you meant, I just don't see it as holding much of an influence at the moment. Any significance it might have is currently very small if not negligible.

If they do suddenly start aggressively pushing characters though, it'll likely be Sora from Kingdom Hearts. ZeRo, Nairo, Gunblade and a few others are pretty big KH fans. Not to say they can't push for more than one at once, but iirc, KH is a particular favorite of theirs. After that, I know Xenoblade comes next for ZeRo at least.

Yes you did confuse me at the end there.

You can't just say "rumored crossover" and "Platinum" and not have the proper context in between both sentences. :p
Mentioning Kingdom Battle, the Rabbids or at least just Ubisoft would've made what you were saying a lot clearer.
Every little bit helps, Krystal has numerous amount of things going for her and she'll need all of it to get in. As E3 draws near I can't help but feel completely useless, Where are those addresses Cuthbert? I'm still waiting lol.

I didn't want to exert the effort to mark spoilers, because apparently it's a spoiler. Sora eh? i'm pretty convinced we'll get either Isaac or Sora and not both, not really sure where that would go.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
i'm pretty convinced we'll get either Isaac or Sora and not both, not really sure where that would go.
Why do you think so if you don't mind me asking? Those two seem like really odd choices to pit against each other.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Why do you think so if you don't mind me asking? Those two seem like really odd choices to pit against each other.
This could be just me, but I see them as slot competitive, not as representation obviously but in what they do. I consider them both as "magic swordsmen" i'm not familiar with playing either games so I can just be showing ignorance. They would likely have a quicker playstyle to contrast with Robin who is already the resident fighter to compare any "magic swordsmen" too. I don't even know Sora's actual magic ability, and his transforming keyblade gives him more interesting kit potential on the surface level.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This could be just me, but I see them as slot competitive, not as representation obviously but in what they do. I consider them both as "magic swordsmen" i'm not familiar with playing either games so I can just be showing ignorance. They would likely have a quicker playstyle to contrast with Robin who is already the resident fighter to compare any "magic swordsmen" too. I don't even know Sora's actual magic ability, and his transforming keyblade gives him more interesting kit potential on the surface level.
I'm not going to go into all of it because it'd take too long and derail the thread, but the two are nothing alike aside from being "anime" in art style. So just to go over the "key" points.

Isaac is first party, while Sora isn't even owned by Square. While it was created by Square's Tetsuya Nomura, Disney holds ownership over the franchise and all it's characters. (Except for the Final Fantasy guests of course.)

This alone put's Sora's chances in a very tricky spot especially when there are multiple other characters from other well known/beloved franchises in Square's library that Nintendo could pull from if they were to add another of their characters to Smash. Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, Tomb Raider perhaps even another Final Fantasy character given how massive the series is.

In terms of actual ability, Sora is very quick and acrobatic with a very wild and flashy fighting style. While he does have access to magic, it's not necessarily integral to his character and a moveset for him could easily be crafted from special attacks he learns as Abilities in the Kingdom Hearts games. He can throw the Keyblade like a high speed boomerang (Strike Raid), perform a rushing thrust attack (Sonic Blade), etc.

And even if he did use magic, the spells he uses are derivative of those found in Final Fantasy and are mostly comprised of the usual basics; Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, etc.

Magic in Golden Sun is vastly different (it's not even magic in GS, but rather Psynergy), and Isaac in a Venus Adept, which means he has an affinity for earth based spells. Isaac's magic arsenal is comprised of magic that manipulates the earth, plants, and a few others like his Move ability which you may remember from his days as an assist trophy in Brawl. You know, the giant magic hand that does exactly what its name implies, by moving things... it makes a lot more sense in game believe me. :p It's used for moving obstacles and solving puzzles in the overworld and stuff like that.

Aside from basic healing spells like Cure, there's no overlap in Sora and Isaac's magic. Naturally their fighting style would also be very different given their other abilities and the drastically different games that they come from.

From a conceptual standpoint, Isaac would perhaps be a slow, stage control focused character, while Sora would be an aggressive, combo-heavy, rushdown character.

Both characters have plenty to offer that's not already in Smash, but Sora is a pie in the sky pipe dream even further than someone like Cloud who was already a big surprise to many. Isaac as a first party immediately has a huge upper hand if we're comparing the two, but overall I don't think the two should be compared given they have completely differently abilities and circumstances.

I ended up going on for a quite a bit anyway, so sorry about that.

EDIT: If you're willing to look at something fan made, a very good example of their different skills would actually be Super Smash Flash 2, the beta of which just released. And their take is just one of many possibilities when it comes to how Sora and Isaac could be handled.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I think i get the picture now lol, I'll take what u said as enough proof that they're different enough. Smash flash 2 is pretty good, but I don't see much of a point to play it if Krystal doesn't get in it, It was cool when I played it but the novelty wore off on me. I heard she's in crusade but kinda going for broke right now. Oh apparently just the nintendo business address will work, I have some letters to write!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
SSF2 did Tails really well but utterly screwed up Bomberman. It's very hit or miss with fighters and should not be used to judge their potential. Though I'll give Isaac a go and see how well he really compares to Sora.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
SSF2 did Tails really well but utterly screwed up Bomberman. It's very hit or miss with fighters and should not be used to judge their potential. Though I'll give Isaac a go and see how well he really compares to Sora.
Oh I agree. I wasn't really saying to use it as example of their overall potential, but I think it's still a fair example for some of the characters they added. The cast is very hit and miss for me as well, but I do find the work they put into it impressive and a lot of characters are done pretty well to a degree. There are some aspects about how they handled Sora and Isaac that I'm not too fond of, but of majority a of what they've done is actually really good imo. It works as a nice and quick general example for those that otherwise aren't going to take/don't have the time to dig around and see what the KH and GS games are actually like.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Oh I agree. I wasn't really saying to use it as example of their overall potential, but I think it's still a fair example for some of the characters they added. The cast is very hit and miss for me as well, but I do find the work they put into it impressive and a lot of characters are done pretty well to a degree. There are some aspects about how they handled Sora and Isaac that I'm not too fond of, but of majority a of what they've done is actually really good imo. It works as a nice and quick general example for those that otherwise aren't going to take/don't have the time to dig around and see what the KH and GS games are actually like.
I think the term that you're looking for here is "proof-of-concept". ;) A fan-group has made a working implementation of characters in a fan-game, and it's much easier and quicker to point to it and say "Here's one way that they could work - try it." than pointing to outside sources of information or writing up moveset ideas.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I think the term that you're looking for here is "proof-of-concept". ;) A fan-group has made a working implementation of characters in a fan-game, and it's much easier and quicker to point to it and say "Here's one way that they could work - try it." than pointing to outside sources of information or writing up moveset ideas.
Proof of concept pretty much sums it up. Thanks!

Maybe lend me your ability to be concise for a day? :p

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of proof of concept, with 3D model and animation being easier than ever these days, I find it weird that there's little, if any cases of people usign character's existing models to show off potential Smash movesets.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Speaking of proof of concept, with 3D model and animation being easier than ever these days, I find it weird that there's little, if any cases of people usign character's existing models to show off potential Smash movesets.
Because even if its gotten a little "easier", it's still a lot of time/work that most people don't have the time/skill/desire to do. Accessibility to the tools with which to do so doesn't necessarily make the actual process easier or less time consuming. Making a good model, or even just a decent looking one still takes a good deal of time, and animating can take loads more.

Granted if someone really wanted to just get some basic stuff out there they could just make a generic model with the general body shape of their particular character or attempt to use an existing model, but it comes down to time once again as animating is a generally slow process, especially if you're working by yourself.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Granted if someone really wanted to just get some basic stuff out there they could just make a generic model with the general body shape of their particular character or attempt to use an existing model, but it comes down to time once again as animating is a generally slow process, especially if you're working by yourself.
And at that point, you may as well make a static or very-slightly-animated image using a stylised stick-figure representing the character concerned, instead - it would be a lot quicker, and requires no special skills or great time-investment. ;)

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Oh apparently just the nintendo business address will work, I have some letters to write!
You might want to provide it in case anyone wants to jump in on it. I did this once but combined with the depressive phase that was going on I wasnt writing things out too well. Wasnt anything bad just didnt make much sense that with some follow ups I would apologize for if the last one might've come off the wrong way. If you do decide to send Nintendo a letter, these are things you may want to do;
  • Show interest in Adventures and Assault, either as or both as a Switch port or remake
  • In fact, showing interest in the Musou/Dynasty Warriors Star Fox game that was rejected might help too. Seems a bit cheap Zelda can have it but not Star Fox
  • Try to not give any ideas, you will get a sentence that says they dont really take ideas from fans, even if you do stress you're totally aware as I did.
  • Obviously show your support for Krystal, I dont know if the same thing happened with Dixie when DKCR first released but do the same thing that happened prior to her coming back
  • If you have any fanart or whatever to give, go ahead and do so. Probably should make copies so you're not potentially throwing em away. I dont know what the company does when it comes to receiving gifts
  • Try to not come off as too upset or desperate, though I gave them my input on Zero (which basically I wasnt happy about), I tried to explain how I didn't mind the gamecube games to the point of wanting to have a relative start off with Adventures due to the liking of the theme.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
In fact, showing interest in the Musou/Dynasty Warriors Star Fox game that was rejected might help too. Seems a bit cheap Zelda can have it but not Star Fox
Your advice here is great, but I would advise caution with this particular matter.

Reason being, the only source we have that claims that this game was ever pitched are rumourmongers who at the same time claimed that an enhanced port of Splatoon would be a pack-in launch-title for the Switch (it turned out not to exist, and there was no pack-in launch-title), that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was confirmed to them by ten separate individuals to have new cups (it doesn't), that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be delayed until later in the summer (it was released on launch-day), and that Super Mario Odyssey would be released on launch-day (it's out this Christmas).

It probably does bear mentioning, though, so perhaps it would be best framed simply by saying that a rumour went around about it, and that you'd be interested in such a game. That way, it doesn't run the risk of implying that the rumour that it was pitched and rejected carries any weight (which, given the above track-record with regard to first-party software, it might not; Moreover, this rumour was followed by Miyamoto's statement that he wants to do more with Star Fox, which directly contradicted the rumourmongers' claims that the game was rejected because the series has an uncertain future), and won't provide an opportunity for a "We don't comment on rumours." sort of response.

I know that this amounts to the same thing, in the end. I just wanted to point out caution when mentioning rumours in official correspondence, so that they don't feel like they should brush it off - it's in the same boat as idea suggestions. ;)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Because even if its gotten a little "easier", it's still a lot of time/work that most people don't have the time/skill/desire to do. Accessibility to the tools with which to do so doesn't necessarily make the actual process easier or less time consuming. Making a good model, or even just a decent looking one still takes a good deal of time, and animating can take loads more.

I should see if someone's put a Krystal model on SFM's Workshop...

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I should see if someone's put a Krystal model on SFM's Workshop...
There's only I believe two or three, but they're not the Adventures or Assault models. Someone should do that so there could at least be something done with the other Star Fox models.

If I recall, the one or two models is kinda built for dark purposes, if you know what I mean. To be fair one of them the guy made has created other character models, so she isnt the only one. Weird thing is you have to pay him via patreon to get it

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
You might want to provide it in case anyone wants to jump in on it. I did this once but combined with the depressive phase that was going on I wasnt writing things out too well. Wasnt anything bad just didnt make much sense that with some follow ups I would apologize for if the last one might've come off the wrong way. If you do decide to send Nintendo a letter, these are things you may want to do;
  • Show interest in Adventures and Assault, either as or both as a Switch port or remake
  • In fact, showing interest in the Musou/Dynasty Warriors Star Fox game that was rejected might help too. Seems a bit cheap Zelda can have it but not Star Fox
  • Try to not give any ideas, you will get a sentence that says they dont really take ideas from fans, even if you do stress you're totally aware as I did.
  • Obviously show your support for Krystal, I dont know if the same thing happened with Dixie when DKCR first released but do the same thing that happened prior to her coming back
  • If you have any fanart or whatever to give, go ahead and do so. Probably should make copies so you're not potentially throwing em away. I dont know what the company does when it comes to receiving gifts
  • Try to not come off as too upset or desperate, though I gave them my input on Zero (which basically I wasnt happy about), I tried to explain how I didn't mind the gamecube games to the point of wanting to have a relative start off with Adventures due to the liking of the theme.
I'm going to write explicitly about the character, I have no interest in remakes for any series, it's a lazy business practice and it being for a more favorite title doesn't really change that.
Nintendo can't accept ideas due to the potential for lawsuits, not to mention they probably suck 80% of the time.
What thing about dixie?
I cannot draw
I'll save my salt for when she's not in the base roster for the port and wolf is.
As for the addresses he detailed explicitly handwriting a letter addressing it to particular members, targets of interest are Takaya Imamura who was responsible for the art and personalities in starfox command, should tell him where to improve in a less pushing kind of way. Shigeru Miyamoto, for obvious reasons as Starfox is his property and he'd be the only person who would ask for more starfox support in smash, and lastly Masahiro Sakurai if he's working on smash. You'll have to be pretty well-thought out if you want to really make her seem any different than any other character to him. As for the actual address i'll be seeing if Dylan can't get me the address info for their Kyoto Development Complex where I think you'd find Miyamoto atleast. Or maybe the Nintendo Central Office since apparently the KDC is right next to it and the central office might be able to cycle it to people better if they actually intend to do that.

Last edited:

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
You guys heard the news, supposedly... this is a screenshot of the unannounced Smash for the Switch.

I can't say this is legit for sure (prob not) but I do believe and always believed a Switch smash was almost 100% garanteed even if Samurai says he is tired of Smash.

A bit unrelated, but I just finished Yooka-Laylee and I couldn't help but notice that jordansweeto jordansweeto name popped up in the credits as extra voice.
If you dont mind Jordan can I ask a couple of things.
1. What character(s) did you voiced?

2. Have you ever had chance to speak with some of the old Rare members about well Starfox or Dinosaur Planet?

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
You guys heard the news, supposedly... this is a screenshot of the unannounced Smash for the Switch.

I can't say this is legit for sure (prob not) but I do believe and always believed a Switch smash was almost 100% garanteed even if Samurai says he is tired of Smash.

A bit unrelated, but I just finished Yooka-Laylee and I couldn't help but notice that jordansweeto jordansweeto name popped up in the credits as extra voice.

2. Have you ever had chance to speak with some of the old Rare members about well Starfox or Dinosaur Planet?
Take that with a grain of salt, with what I witnessed during the pre release of Smash this could very well be an elaborate ruse, but who really knows.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice

I've seen this rumor around a lot and the general consensus seems to be that it looks more-likely fake due to a lot of inconsistencies. I'm leaning towards it being fake too I think.

Thinking about Smash Bros for the Switch, I would have to guess that it will be a port of the Wii U version - I know some people who think it could be an entirely new game but I think that's highly unlikely.
The thing is though, if it is just a HD version of Smash Wii U, I don't know how much extra content they could add character-wise? I feel like the roster is so huge already with so many crazy first party characters, I wonder if they would even add more? It almost feels like they'd have to in order to justify buying it again (if you got the Wii U version)
I guess new modes like an actual Tournament mode/etc might be enough to convince people?

At this point I'm not sure about Krystal's chances for joining the Smash Switch version, they seem a little on the lower end to me BUT I think it's still important for us to stay vocal as her popularity as a potential character for this version of Smash will likely be taken into consideration when making the next entry in the series.
She seems like a character that is constantly JUST BARELY missing the boat for each new Smash game.
She's popular, has lots of potential to be unique and HAS been considered by Sakurai himself before. I feel like as long as we keep her support alive she will eventually return to the Star Fox series as well as make an appearance in Smash as a roster member.

Nintendo's official E3 announcement videos will be a very important place for us to voice support I feel. Especially on anything Smash Bros related.

I voiced the Slot-Machine character from Capital Cashino haha, was a lot of fun :')

The members of Playtonic that I have talked to about Adventures have said they weren't involved with Rare much by that point as it was the last game Rare worked on, so sadly I don't have anything to say there sorry!

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I've seen this rumor around a lot and the general consensus seems to be that it looks more-likely fake due to a lot of inconsistencies. I'm leaning towards it being fake too I think.

Thinking about Smash Bros for the Switch, I would have to guess that it will be a port of the Wii U version - I know some people who think it could be an entirely new game but I think that's highly unlikely.
The thing is though, if it is just a HD version of Smash Wii U, I don't know how much extra content they could add character-wise? I feel like the roster is so huge already with so many crazy first party characters, I wonder if they would even add more? It almost feels like they'd have to in order to justify buying it again (if you got the Wii U version)
I guess new modes like an actual Tournament mode/etc might be enough to convince people?

At this point I'm not sure about Krystal's chances for joining the Smash Switch version, they seem a little on the lower end to me BUT I think it's still important for us to stay vocal as her popularity as a potential character for this version of Smash will likely be taken into consideration when making the next entry in the series.
She seems like a character that is constantly JUST BARELY missing the boat for each new Smash game.
She's popular, has lots of potential to be unique and HAS been considered by Sakurai himself before. I feel like as long as we keep her support alive she will eventually return to the Star Fox series as well as make an appearance in Smash as a roster member.

Nintendo's official E3 announcement videos will be a very important place for us to voice support I feel. Especially on anything Smash Bros related.

I voiced the Slot-Machine character from Capital Cashino haha, was a lot of fun :')

The members of Playtonic that I have talked to about Adventures have said they weren't involved with Rare much by that point as it was the last game Rare worked on, so sadly I don't have anything to say there sorry!
Sourcegaming's Pushdustin seems convinced it's fake, I wouldn't rely on 4chan either for anything. Also hey you I was trying get your attention. Smashified is a doing a poll to determine interest in smashified character T-shirts, merchandise will help all of us. https://strawpoll.com/g4ag7ds
With your following it'd be pretty easy to get her to the number 1 spot

Also yea i'm pretty much in the same boat for most of that. Except As far as i'm concerned you can't ever have enough fighters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just a reminder that when showing leaks, put them in spoiler tags.

I think enough holes have appeared to disprove those particular images. Also someone made an account to post supposed Smash 4 on Switch Alpha footage on the Speculation main thread. Real or not, seems foolish to me.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The images are literally just minimally-edited, upscaled Smash 3DS ones. They have Smash 3DS' lower-detail models, and Smash 3DS' lighting.

Between hacked Wii U units, and the fact that there are 3DS emulators that can upscale, this sort of thing is now easier to fake than it's ever been, and we're going to see a lot of this over the next two weeks.

Personally, given the evidence that we have, I feel that a port is what's highly unlikely.

Reason being, in April of 2014, Bandai-Namco made a hiring-call for a new Smash game. They called it "Smash 6", which confused some people at the time, as it took place a while before the interview wherein Sakurai referred to Smash 3DS as "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U as "Smash 5".

Moreover, we also know that work on Super Mario Odyssey began around April of 2014, and that it's been claimed that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle also began development three years ago. As an aside, it also appears to line up with some of the timeframes claimed in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours, too.

We should only count Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (which has now been fully proven to exist thanks to the Brazillian games rating board giving it an age-rating), because we know that those both exist, and that's two games right there that have been built from the ground-up during the same three-year span since the "Smash 6" job-listing went up.

With an easily-portable, scalable engine already made for the previous games*, and bearing in mind that we've been seeing reports of tiny indie outfits (some as small as only two people) getting their games up and running on the Switch within hours to days to weeks, why would a 200-strong first-party team only manage a no-frills, content-light port of Smash 3DS/Wii U after three years? It just doesn't add up, to me, personally. ;)

*Even The Wind Waker HD, which was an HD remaster of a game that wasn't really designed for easy future porting, only took six months from announcement to release. Not three years.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
The images are literally just minimally-edited, upscaled Smash 3DS ones. They have Smash 3DS' lower-detail models, and Smash 3DS' lighting.

Between hacked Wii U units, and the fact that there are 3DS emulators that can upscale, this sort of thing is now easier to fake than it's ever been, and we're going to see a lot of this over the next two weeks.

Personally, given the evidence that we have, I feel that a port is what's highly unlikely.

Reason being, in April of 2014, Bandai-Namco made a hiring-call for a new Smash game. They called it "Smash 6", which confused some people at the time, as it took place a while before the interview wherein Sakurai referred to Smash 3DS as "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U as "Smash 5".

Moreover, we also know that work on Super Mario Odyssey began around April of 2014, and that it's been claimed that Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle also began development three years ago. As an aside, it also appears to line up with some of the timeframes claimed in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours, too.

We should only count Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (which has now been fully proven to exist thanks to the Brazillian games rating board giving it an age-rating), because we know that those both exist, and that's two games right there that have been built from the ground-up during the same three-year span since the "Smash 6" job-listing went up.

With an easily-portable, scalable engine already made for the previous games*, and bearing in mind that we've been seeing reports of tiny indie outfits (some as small as only two people) getting their games up and running on the Switch within hours to days to weeks, why would a 200-strong first-party team only manage a no-frills, content-light port of Smash 3DS/Wii U after three years? It just doesn't add up, to me, personally. ;)
*Even The Wind Waker HD, which was an HD remaster of a game that wasn't really designed for easy future porting, only took six months from announcement to release. Not three years.
I'd really enjoy this being the case as you've made me think it's highly probably multiple times. I'd still say there'd be a basis using smash 4 in someway. Also holy crap Krystal is number 2 now? How many lurkers are in this thread?? sweeto didn't even make a post to my knowledge. Good work guys we'll be number 1 in no time. Only 2 weeks away now.

Oh btw I'm not really sure what i'm looking at but I think I found the addresses for Nintendo's Kyoto office

[Corporate Headquarters] (this is the central office, anything sent here could potentially be sent elsewhere)
11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8501, Japan

[Development Center] (this is the adjacent facility where nintendo develops their games internally)
2-1 Minamimatsuda-cho, Higashikujo, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8502, Japan

addresses were located here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/en/offices/index.html
I'm not familiar at all with Japan addresses but minor research suggested that's just the japanese formatting

Take note that the intended recipient will not likely be the first to read it as it'll probably be screened by a lawyer first or otherwise some employee so no ****ty game ideas, Just state how much you like Krystal, mention that she is still popular, even globally, expressing interest in her for smash is likely fine, just don't give kit ideas, I mentioned indirectly that she should use her staff by including it sometimes when addressing her such as "magical-staff wielding blue vixen"

Though granted to send to Sakurai i'll need to find Sora Ltd.'s address. On that note i'm not even sure Sora Ltd has a building as apparently it only has 2 employees including sakurai. I guess try sending it to the central office anyway as nintendo will have a better time tracking him down than we will

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'd really enjoy this being the case as you've made me think it's highly probably multiple times.
Me too. :laugh: Here's hoping, eh?

I'd still say there'd be a basis using smash 4 in someway.
I completely agree. I'm sure that the base engine and assets (models, textures, etc.) will be re-used, and there's no doubt that some of the content will return, too - for example, the Mario Kart 8 stage is surely pretty much a given. Things like that.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Anything to speed up the process without sacrificing quality. I still don't have a reason to buy the switch and i've heard they're preparing more consoles to meet demand for the coming seasons. I don't know if that's just because of them not meeting demand right now or because of a perceived opportunity to dramatically boost sales. But I hope it's because they have something coming E3 that will increase demand. We're getting closer and closer to E3 but I'm just more concerned now that nothing will come of it. Along with the lack of relevance Krystal has potentially meaning more than all of her good reasons for inclusion. On the other hand her chances are still strong and I think starfox just missed timing on Smash 4, following the trends, characters that were seriously considered get in in the next game, the sad exception was Krystal but it's just like I previously stated. And I can't imagine they expect to get away with not mentioning smash at this point anyway.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder though, what would there to be gained by startign over with a new Smash over, say an enhanced port. I can think of several gameplay reasons, but I'm not sure how justifiable they are from a business standpoint.

Advantages

No characters are "locked" in roles like Ridley or Waluigi.
Content based of recent games garunteed by default instead of being DLC.
Bull **** mechanics like duplicate custom moves can be reworked.

Disadvantges

Characters and stages may be dropped
IT COSTS MONEY

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I wonder though, what would there to be gained by startign over with a new Smash over, say an enhanced port.
Who said they'd be starting over? The "Smash 6" job-listing, and recent talk from Nintendo on the subject of game-development, suggests engine re-use, but engine re-use doesn't make something a port. ;) I mean, Star Fox Adventures isn't a port of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, even though they're related, for example.

The current engine was self-evidently designed to be easily-portable (and if it wasn't, we wouldn't have seen Smash Wii U so quickly after Smash 3DS), and my understanding is that the data is laid out in a tidy way which I assume facilitates easy moving forward of that data to future games - something that's important with a roster as big as Smash now has, as it means that they can simply keep iterating the current balancing data, and add new stuff as necessary, and things like that.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Who said they'd be starting over? The "Smash 6" job-listing, and recent talk from Nintendo on the subject of game-development, suggests engine re-use, but engine re-use doesn't make something a port. ;) I mean, Star Fox Adventures isn't a port of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, even though they're related, for example.

The current engine was self-evidently designed to be easily-portable (and if it wasn't, we wouldn't have seen Smash Wii U so quickly after Smash 3DS), and my understanding is that the data is laid out in a tidy way which I assume facilitates easy moving forward of that data to future games - something that's important with a roster as big as Smash now has, as it means that they can simply keep iterating the current balancing data, and add new stuff as necessary, and things like that.
Just a what-if scenario. Potentially it would be to rebalance the current pace and style of the gameplay. Though even that seems like a bad idea considering people from most camps rather enjoy how smash 4 plays. It taking so long is just something nintendo can't afford.

This (albeit speculatory) article on sourcegaming: http://sourcegaming.info/2016/05/21/116updateinfo/
would agree with that. If it ain't broke don't fix it if you ask me.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone!
DidYouKnowGaming just uploaded a video on Super Smash Bros Brawl and one of the facts the bring up is the one about Krystal being considered as a playable character. As we know, she was cut due to time constraints.

It's not as important as commenting on official Nintendo videos but I've added it to the Krystal Youtube Team's playlist for videos we should send support! So head over there and comment about Krystal if you'd like!
It's a good place to show Krystal support because other Krystal fan's might see our comments and join us. Also makes the general public aware of her popularity which is good.

Here's the video, remember to upvote any Krystal comments you see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGmACelA2sA&lc=z13medc4bwuxixuha04cixiwmprtevajmpc0k

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's bittersweet to hear Krystal was dropped because she'd need a full new moveset.

Also, confirms that Wolf IS a Fox Clone, how do you like that Smashwiki?!

Top Bottom