• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The question then (if we take their word as gospel) is if the cast will be more than the 8 of Star Fox and Star Wolf from 64.

I hope not. Krystal, Miya and Fay deserve their due.
Even if sticking to SF4, I'd hope we'd at least get Kat and Bill in there too.
Racing games usually have large casts though

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
We should hope for the best and wait to see how it turns out. I'm a fan of expanded universe stuff (even if it contradicts canon) so long as its a spin-off anyway.

Above all I want the gameplay to be good, since that would be what most likely leads to future titles.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Seems like Starfox Grand Prix is a thing, Vergeben is sure that they'll show it today.
I hope that we'll see Krystal.
I would love Krystal as a unique newcomer, very different from the other characters of the franchise and Leon Powalski as Wolf's echo (just change the effects and that's good). Starfox deserve two new characters for the next Smash after many years of disrespect.

Can't wait to see that new game, hope we'll not be disappointed !

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If for some reason it's just 8 racers. That'll be smallest saddest racing game ever made.
This just in, @CaptainHazama dismissines F-Zero, Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 as small and sad. :p

It's unusual for a modern racer to be sure but it's not impossible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I honestly wonder if they won't pull a hat trick by tossing in Miyu or Slippy as a reveal, but we'll see what happens.

Also, it's baffling, yet silly how NL labels V as a Gamefaqs user, when the guy barely even stands the place enough to post there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seems like Starfox Grand Prix is a thing, Vergeben is sure that they'll show it today.
I hope that we'll see Krystal.
I would love Krystal as a unique newcomer, very different from the other characters of the franchise and Leon Powalski as Wolf's echo (just change the effects and that's good). Starfox deserve two new characters for the next Smash after many years of disrespect.

Can't wait to see that new game, hope we'll not be disappointed !
I swear she is another K. Rool case if they don't put in GP or the next Star Fox game. I blame Miyamoto for K. Rool and Krystal's absence from both their series as well as Waluigi not getting into any mainline Mario games since he isn't Miyamoto's creation either.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yes but that's back then. When Technology wasn't as great as it is today. I know, I know. But if we want Krystal back, we need her for this spinoff.
If she isn't start brainstroming twitter tags and prepare to get demonised by the media.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yes but that's back then. When Technology wasn't as great as it is today. I know, I know. But if we want Krystal back, we need her for this spinoff.
Krystal is the biggest name in the series after the Starfox 64 playable cast, Wolf, James and Andross. Not having her, even in an 8 character cast, would be both a poor marketing decision and a direct diss to the character.

The only way she doesn't make the GP roster is if somebody high up really dislikes her.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Krystal is the biggest name in the series after the Starfox 64 playable cast, Wolf, James and Andross. Not having her, even in an 8 character cast, would be both a poor marketing decision and a direct diss to the character.

The only way she doesn't make the GP roster is if somebody high up really dislikes her.
If anything or anybody would be keeping her out, it would be Miyamoto.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Only way I can see Krystal not being in is them being rabid about the STAR FOX 64 ONLY!!!! mandate that seems to have been going for a while, with Krystal as an Assist Trophy being the only break in it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Leon should not be a direct Wolf clone. Leon should take his tech from Wolf but have a teleport Up B (themed as chameleon invisibility) and an A button moveset that blends Falco with Mewtwo.

He is evil, vicious and ruthless, yes, but he has racial traits unique among the SF cast and he is a direct rival to Falco. Not playing up those elements would be a waste of potential, especially when it could all be done without a single new move being added to the game. He deserves to be a unique patchwork character, not an echo.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
What a disappointment. At least we saw the members of Starwolf, that's cool, i was scared that Nintendo forgot about their existence.
Vergeben also said that the new Zelda was not Link's Awakening...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What a disappointment. At least we saw the members of Starwolf, that's cool, i was scared that Nintendo forgot about their existence.
Vergeben also said that the new Zelda was not Link's Awakening...
Well looks like ol' Veggie Burger needs to grill his sources.

I'd say that was a good show overall but maybe I'm easy to please.

Looks like we've gotta wait for a while before anything SF GP comes up.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Vergeben bungled up somewhere with his sources, what a surprise. I'll be shocked if anyone believes in him by the end of this year when he can't even get non-Smash reveals right anymore.

The rest of Star Wolf showing up in Starlink is neat though.

Well looks like ol' Veggie Burger needs to grill his sources.

I'd say that was a good show overall but maybe I'm easy to please.

Looks like we've gotta wait for a while before anything SF GP comes up.
It was fine.

Still, Super Mario Maker 2, official episodic Deltarune release, Astral Chains and Box Boy + Box Girl are net positives for me. I do hope Koizumi gets to announce more exciting things compared to this time in the future though.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
welp... this is the second time it would appear that GP was confused for starlink content, I guess that GP itself is dead.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'm not giving up, though I'm a bit discouraged. Even though, I know that Krystal appearing in Starlink might not make sense given the time period, unless you wanted temporal schenanigans

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Alright, so the rumored Grand Prix was a no-show... again. However, we instead got to see Star Fox content added into Starlink... again. This tells me either one of two things:

1) The rumored Grand Prix title still exists, but wasn't shown as to not steal the "Star Fox thunder" from the Starlink update. If they showed both, one would completely overshadow the other. We also have yet to see anything from Retro Studios. They're a big company, so having one team finishing Grand Prix while the other works on concepts for Metroid Prime 4 is certainly plausible.

2) The rumored Grand Prix title either existed, but was at some point scrapped, or it never existed at all. More Star Fox content being added into Starlink could be Nintendo's way of making Starlink a surrogate Star Fox title on Switch, while leaving the developmental risks to Ubisoft.

Although I'm personally feeling less confident towards Grand Prix, I'm giving the rumor until E3. If we haven't seen it by E3, then it either existed, but was scrapped, or it never existed at all. Just smoke and mirrors left by "leakers" with shaky reputations as it is. If the former, then consider all this Star Fox content in Starlink as a big Star Fox hype train leading up to Grand Prix.

And lastly, don't be concerned about Krystal not being in Starlink. It makes sense, given the setting and story already going on in Starlink. Plus, I highly doubt that Starlink will end up being considered canon. It'll likely just end up as "Star Fox chased Star Wolf out of the Lylat System", while never confirming the events in the Atlas System itself. There's still plenty of room and time for Krystal to be reintroduced in the future, especially now that Nintendo knows just how popular she is thanks to the Smash Ballot.

Don't give up yet!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Alright, so the rumored Grand Prix was a no-show... again. However, we instead got to see Star Fox content added into Starlink... again. This tells me either one of two things:

1) The rumored Grand Prix title still exists, but wasn't shown as to not steal the "Star Fox thunder" from the Starlink update. If they showed both, one would completely overshadow the other. We also have yet to see anything from Retro Studios. They're a big company, so having one team finishing Grand Prix while the other works on concepts for Metroid Prime 4 is certainly plausible.

2) The rumored Grand Prix title either existed, but was at some point scrapped, or it never existed at all. More Star Fox content being added into Starlink could be Nintendo's way of making Starlink a surrogate Star Fox title on Switch, while leaving the developmental risks to Ubisoft.

Although I'm personally feeling less confident towards Grand Prix, I'm giving the rumor until E3. If we haven't seen it by E3, then it either existed, but was scrapped, or it never existed at all. Just smoke and mirrors left by "leakers" with shaky reputations as it is. If the former, then consider all this Star Fox content in Starlink as a big Star Fox hype train leading up to Grand Prix.

And lastly, don't be concerned about Krystal not being in Starlink. It makes sense, given the setting and story already going on in Starlink. Plus, I highly doubt that Starlink will end up being considered canon. It'll likely just end up as "Star Fox chased Star Wolf out of the Lylat System", while never confirming the events in the Atlas System itself. There's still plenty of room and time for Krystal to be reintroduced in the future, especially now that Nintendo knows just how popular she is thanks to the Smash Ballot.

Don't give up yet!
As a wise hare, quoting a wise Fox, once repeatedly said: Never give up! Trust your instincts!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Update from Jason Schrier about SF Grand Prix

https://www.resetera.com/threads/theory-starfox-grand-prix-never-existed.99662/page-9#post-17926970

But today I spoke to the person I referred to as "a source plugged into goings-on at Nintendo" in that article and they are no longer confident that Star Fox Grand Prix is real. I won't burn my sources or say anything that could possibly identify them, but it's very, very possible that this is one of those rumors that never had much air in the first place. A lot of Nintendo rumor-mongers talk to each other, a lot of things get lost in translation, and sometimes what appears to be coming from multiple sources might actually be coming from a ring of people sharing information with one another. That's why I try to be very careful when it comes to reporting on Nintendo-related gossip that comes my way. So much of that stuff has turned out to be bunk, even from extremely reputable reporters.
Honestly I hate to say it but I think it's time to pack it up. It's a shame because I came to really love the idea, I always wanted to see Retro Studios revitalize Star Fox just as they did with Metroid and Donkey Kong and I thought a shooter/racer hybrid with Diddy Kong Racing elements could of been a fun direction to take the series in, and not to mention it being a racer with multiple playable characters would of made for a good opportunity to bring back some of the missing fan favorite characters like Krystal, Panther, Miyu and Fay.

Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. All I can say now is...Krystal fans...

goodluck.png

Good luck.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Update from Jason Schrier about SF Grand Prix

https://www.resetera.com/threads/theory-starfox-grand-prix-never-existed.99662/page-9#post-17926970

Honestly I hate to say it but I think it's time to pack it up. It's a shame because I came to really love the idea, I always wanted to see Retro Studios revitalize Star Fox just as they did with Metroid and Donkey Kong and I thought a shooter/racer hybrid with Diddy Kong Racing elements could of been a fun direction to take the series in, and not to mention it being a racer with multiple playable characters would of made for a good opportunity to bring back some of the missing fan favorite characters like Krystal, Panther, Miyu and Fay.

Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. All I can say now is...Krystal fans...

View attachment 192495

Good luck.
So a sort of self-sustaining telephone game?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, yesterday I had already figured that SF Grand Prix was nothing but hearsay, this just confirms it.

Now, more than ever, is the time to provide heavy support for additional Star Fox characters. It'll be an uphill battle from here.

For now, the additional Starlink content is the single lit matchstick that we'll use to keep ourselves warm.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll say it right now, Star Fox 64 is holding the franchise back. It's been 22 years, it's time to move on
I like Star Fox 64, but it's kind of overrated like OOT overrated almost. Star Fox Adventures and Assault was going in the right direction for the franchise, but Miyamoto probably thought other wise which, is why Krystal has been absence from the games since Commend. Miyamoto doesn't like characters he didn't create which, explains K. Rool's absence from the DKC games since Jungle Climber.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like Star Fox 64, but it's kind of overrated like OOT overrated almost. Star Fox Adventures and Assault was going in the right direction for the franchise, but Miyamoto probably thought other wise wish, is why Krystal has been absence from the games since Commend. Miyamoto doesn't like characters he didn't create which, explains K. Rool's absence from the DKC games since Jingle Climber.
I think it's a thing with all creators, especially in Japan. They only feel comfortable using characters they've made themselves. That's why we've got Mario and Donkey Kong Games that only use the main characters to make sure the darned thing sells and makes up the rest of the cast.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's a thing with all creators, especially in Japan. They only feel comfortable using characters they've made themselves. That's why we've got Mario and Donkey Kong Games that only use the main characters to make sure the darned thing sells and makes up the rest of the cast.
Hell, this is why we got Daisy, and not one, but TWO Wario series.

It's a wonder they eventually allowed Pauline to show up in something that's not sharing top billing with Mario and DK. Not to mention Kirby Star Allies in general.

Although you gotta admit that post-64 SF games varied in quality and never performed in sales as well as they thought they would. It's a similar situation to the one Crash Bandicoot used to have: changing hands to the point that the series' image was damaged.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yes, there's been more than one instances where Miyamoto has expressed his disappointment in the post-64 Star Fox games.

https://ew.com/article/2007/05/08/man-who-made-mario-super/

In the past we’ve worked with some outside development houses on titles like F-Zero and Starfox — and let me just say that we were disappointed with the results. Consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/20208/miyamoto-talks-star-foxs-dwindling-sales

"I tend to forget those games [laughs]. I'm a big fan of the Star Fox games. Every time we make a Star Fox game I'm hoping people will enjoy it as much as I do. Of course the goal every time is to try and make it more and more fun but, at least in Japan, the people that purchase the Star Fox games has decreased over the years. But we still try to make them more fun and hopefully people will see the appeal in those games."
It seems to me that Star Fox Command (which was the lowest selling game in the series until Zero) was the game that essentially broke the camel's back and made Nintendo swear off doing anything bold and new with the series. Starting with Star Fox 64 3D the franchise has been mostly in creative lock down, hardly ever acknowleding anything beyond Star Fox SNES and Star Fox 64. This continues to this day with Star Fox Zero and Starlink only featuring the OG Star Fox/Star Wolf crew.

It's funny and also kind of sad that Smash Bros. is pretty much the only thing keeping the flame alive for anything related to Adventures, Assault and Command: Obviously you have Krystal as an assist, but you also have characters like Panther, Tricky, and even Dash Bowman of all people appearing as spirits. Wolf's Palutena Guidance even mentions the fact that he and Fox worked together on the same side once, obviously referencing the events of Assault (Viridi: "Wolf may be Fox's nemesis, but there's also a mutual respect between them. They even fought on the same side at one point ").

Sad state of affairs, really. But I suppose, at the end of the day, it's nice that Krystal has been immortalized as an assist trophy in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the other hand, Star Fox 2 might be the ace in the hole that can help to revitalise the series again. Many people bought a SNES Mini for it, it's directly acknowledged in Ultimate's in-game tips/hints (despite the absence of Miyu and Fay spirits), and it's even featured in the datamined online SNES game line-up that got taken down recently.

Although it is telling that a 20-year old game performed better than a gimmicky reboot on a system that flopped...

Last edited:
Top Bottom