• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

JV_Nerdson

Smash Cadet
Kinda encouraging seeing the support shown on Twitter, as I'm writing this over 700 retweets and 3400 likes and counting overall which is pretty much the highest amount of traffic I've seen for posts regarding the game (from the looks of it roughly the same as Knuckles who has quite the following himself). I think another thing thats both encouraging and welcoming to see is pretty much everyone who's written a message in support of her has remained very respectful towards others and the Smash devs themselves, showing that her fans can be supportive whilst at the same time being polite, encouraging and respectful to all people involved, which can only be a good thing when it comes to the developers reading these posts and making future decisions. With any luck, this little bit of support shown by everyone today will make a big step towards seeing her in future Smash and StarFox releases and makes me feel positive that we're all making a difference, and proud to be part of this support group :)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I am not sure if rallying the fanbase is even possible due to the prevalence of 64 fanboys who crap on anything new and different, and sorry but if the series is going to survive, it has to evolve beyond the SF64 formula, as the on-rails shooter genre is dying out
For better or worse, being on rails is what the series is known for. Obviously it can't continue as a series of 64 rehashes forever but, as the only real big name remaining in rail shooters, it has an established niche and would probably benefit more from finding a way to modernise itself within its current genre than from changing itself completely and alienating a good portion of its fanbase.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I would like Krystal in Smash Bros. I liked Adventures and Assault and I think they could make a moveset based on the staff. With eight palettes for characters, what I would do is have: Adventures, the four team colors from Assault, Command version 1, Command version 2 (the one with the helmet), and Kursed.

Having her as an AT is a start and look forward to seeing her again in a Star Fox game.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
How am I the first to post this here?

Let me tell you what. As a Krystal supporter since pre-Brawl, of course it would've been great to see her become playable, but frankly, given her current status (or lack thereof) in the series, and the condition of the series itself - getting her as an AT is still very nice to see. At least it's something. Which is more than I usually get for the characters I support. :/

I wouldn't be surprised if the ballot aided her in obtaining this role.

Very true, so do I. :(
She looks better then waluigi she has spaces between her fingers

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Kinda encouraging seeing the support shown on Twitter, as I'm writing this over 700 retweets and 3400 likes and counting overall which is pretty much the highest amount of traffic I've seen for posts regarding the game (from the looks of it roughly the same as Knuckles who has quite the following himself). I think another thing thats both encouraging and welcoming to see is pretty much everyone who's written a message in support of her has remained very respectful towards others and the Smash devs themselves, showing that her fans can be supportive whilst at the same time being polite, encouraging and respectful to all people involved, which can only be a good thing when it comes to the developers reading these posts and making future decisions. With any luck, this little bit of support shown by everyone today will make a big step towards seeing her in future Smash and StarFox releases and makes me feel positive that we're all making a difference, and proud to be part of this support group :)
I popped in curious about what a support group looks like for a character who has been basically deconfirmed and this was the first thing I read. cool to see people are so positive considering everything. good luck guys. hopefully in DLC or the next game your dreams will come true :D

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I feel sorry for you guys. I wanted krystal really bad. I would have mained her over any star fox character. she would have such a great move set to play with. breaks my heart :( I'm a strong supporter of k rool and I hope he doesn't get the AT treatment as well :'( I'm afraid because some leaks are saying his is.

but cheers to krystal!

PF9

Smash Lord
I think the decision to cut off Smash 4 DLC early not only kept Krystal out of that game, it also hurt her chances in Ultimate. Had Smash 4 DLC continued another year, we very well might have seen her and she would have come back in Ultimate as part of "Everyone's Here".

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the decision to cut off Smash 4 DLC early not only kept Krystal out of that game, it also hurt her chances in Ultimate. Had Smash 4 DLC continued another year, we very well might have seen her and she would have come back in Ultimate as part of "Everyone's Here".
Krystal not being in Star Fox Zero is most likely what did her in.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Krystal not being in Star Fox Zero is most likely what did her in.
Honestly, I think this was the case.

She had the popularity, but lacked the relevance. If Star Fox Zero wasn't a re-imagining and had Krystal in it, that may have been enough for her to actually become playable. It's obvious that Sakurai is aware of the former, as she was considered for Brawl, and I do think her getting in as an Assist Trophy was a nod to her supporters.

If she had just been in Star Fox Zero, things may have been better. All the more reason why we shouldn't stop supporting her, though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Do you think if Krystal is in the next Star Fox game, Sakurai will make her DLC?
I think it’s possible she could be DLC without being in the next game. She is still an incredibly popular character. Especially by Star Fox standards. Yes, I do think being in the next will help though.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Do you think if Krystal is in the next Star Fox game, Sakurai will make her DLC?
I think it's possible. She's an incredibly popular character who already has pre-existing assets to build off of. The only thing she really lacks is relevancy, but if she were to be in a new Star Fox game sometime next year when any possible DLC would start development, that'd definitely help her chances.

However, I wouldn't hold your hopes up too high. We've yet to see an Assist Trophy make the jump to Playable Character within the same game, and until we do, I wouldn't count on seeing it happen.

If an Assist Trophy were to be made playable, it'd be between Krystal and Waluigi. Both are incredibly popular characters who have been requested for a long while. Krystal making it as an Assist Trophy was very well-received because she made it in Smash in the first place, while the uproar over Waluigi was so much that he was specifically addressed.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
If an Assist Trophy were to be made playable, it'd be between Krystal and Waluigi. Both are incredibly popular characters who have been requested for a long while. Krystal making it as an Assist Trophy was very well-received because she made it in Smash in the first place, while the uproar over Waluigi was so much that he was specifically addressed.
Yeah. But it also doesn't help Waluigi's fans by attacking Sakurai's twitter account and others for the reason of address, and that is all I'm going to add on that topic. I notice quiet a few Smash Bros. Tournament players saying they wished Krystal was playable instead of being an AT.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think it's possible. She's an incredibly popular character who already has pre-existing assets to build off of. The only thing she really lacks is relevancy, but if she were to be in a new Star Fox game sometime next year when any possible DLC would start development, that'd definitely help her chances.

However, I wouldn't hold your hopes up too high. We've yet to see an Assist Trophy make the jump to Playable Character within the same game, and until we do, I wouldn't count on seeing it happen.

It seems the top three ATs that everyone wants playable are, Krystal, Lyn, and Waluigi (honorable mention goes to Takamaru). If polite and respectable support and demand for them continue, Sakurai could consider promoting ATs to characters (no more than three, at the very least one ) for DLC but the chance is very low.
I notice quiet a few Smash Bros. Tournament players saying they wished Krystal was playable instead of being an AT
Are any of them some of the top players like Zero or Nairo? Cause since Sakurai is also getting their input on how to make Smash a bit more competitive and Offensive based, it could increase her chances a little.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It seems the top three ATs that everyone wants playable are, Krystal, Lyn, and Waluigi (honorable mention goes to Takamaru). If polite and respectable support and demand for them continue, Sakurai could consider promoting ATs to characters (no more than three, at the very least one ) for DLC but the chance is very low.

Are any of them some of the top players like Zero or Nairo? Cause since Sakurai is also getting their input on how to make Smash a bit more competitive and Offensive based, it could increase her chances a little.
Pretty sure Zero did say he wanted her playable in Smash

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One universal positive, Krystal has a new model to rip and it's one of her Adventures Design.

Ergo, we got a baseline for a HD fan remake of Dinosaur Planet or re-imagining of SFA.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Zero did say he wanted her playable in Smash
I thought it was Sora he wanted, but if he also wanted Krystal, as well other top players, then that could be her best opportunity for DLC next year.
One universal positive, Krystal has a new model to rip and it's one of her Adventures Design.

Ergo, we got a baseline for a HD fan remake of Dinosaur Planet or re-imagining of SFA.
If Dinosaur Planet and/or SFA HD remake/reboot with true open world (and Krystal not being kidnapped/absent for nearly the whole game
(seriously make her playable for more than 30 minutes or team her up with Fox and switch between Characters)), nothing could stop me from giving Nintendo my money.

If Star Fox Assault had an HD remake with online multiplayer, new weapons, vehicles, and characters, my money would travel fast enough to burn land, sea, air, and Nintendo HQ..

Although, a new Star Fox that mixes and expands upon the exploration features of Adventures, with the combat from Adventures and Assault would be amazing. Add real time travel to other planets ala new Starlink game, open world, and development status/rank of different places (and planets) like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then you got yourself a potential GOTY.

PF9

Smash Lord
I do think her getting in as an Assist Trophy was a nod to her supporters.
I disagree. I think it was more of a "screw you". We've been waiting for over a decade for her to be playable, and this is all we get. We've been getting the short end of the stick for so long, and Wolf (IMO a less-deserving candidate for being too similar to Fox, one clone is enough) has been playable in 2 games before Krystal gets in one.

There have been two similar situations I can somewhat empathize with.

1. The Baltimore Ravens NFL team was created out of Art Modell's attempt to relocate the Cleveland Browns. The Browns did restart in 1999. However, it is the Ravens who got the better end of the deal, making multiple playoff appearances and winning two Super Bowls while the Browns have only made the playoffs once, culminating in a disastrous 0-16 season last year.

2. The Dark type in Pokemon was created in the second generation of games. As of Gen 7, it has yet to receive a Gym however, much to the consternation of the type's fans. In contrast, when the Fairy type was created in XY, it got a Gym right away, further angering the Dark type's fans.

Like I said, I hope Sakuari's successor is more kind to us.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I disagree. I think it was more of a "screw you". We've been waiting for over a decade for her to be playable, and this is all we get. We've been getting the short end of the stick for so long, and Wolf (IMO a less-deserving candidate for being too similar to Fox, one clone is enough) has been playable in 2 games before Krystal gets in one.

1. The Baltimore Ravens NFL team was created out of Art Modell's attempt to relocate the Cleveland Browns. The Browns did restart in 1999. However, it is the Ravens who got the better end of the deal, making multiple playoff appearances and winning two Super Bowls while the Browns have only made the playoffs once, culminating in a disastrous 0-16 season last year.

2. The Dark type in Pokemon was created in the second generation of games. As of Gen 7, it has yet to receive a Gym however, much to the consternation of the type's fans. In contrast, when the Fairy type was created in XY, it got a Gym right away, further angering the Dark type's fans.

A "screw you" would've been her not becoming an Assist Trophy at all, or worse, removing her as a regular trophy all together since she wasn't in Star Fox Zero.

We've been waiting over a decade for her to be playable, yes. So have many fans of other characters. However, Krystal was upgraded into an Assist Trophy, which is more than can be said for other characters. I'd say that's progress, and I don't think it would've happened if it weren't for her supporters.

Sure, Krystal being an Assist Trophy is not ideal, but I'm incredibly happy to see her on the battlefield in the first place.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Let's not be ungrateful and entitled now, I obviously would have rather had Krystal playable but I'm glad she got something above a trophy

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I know you feel frustrated that she an Assist Trophy, we all wanted her playable, but the fact that Sakurai added her in as such proves that Krystal is a popular character, and it puts her foot in the door for the next Smash game or even hopefully DLC, only time can tell, till then we just have to be grateful that she made it this far, and keep up the support in a passionate yet respectable manner for her to reach even further.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Since Ridley is playable and Rool might get in if recent leaks are to be believed, Krystal instantly becomes next in line for the heavily requested 1st Party newcomer next time

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace

Zero is one of them.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well that's good to hear. I only remembered him asking for Sora, maybe I missed when he asked for her too. If you can find when he said this that'd be appreciated, but it's good that he wants her too.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I think it's when Krystal is revealed in Fox's Spotlight video that he comment about his thoughts of her being playable instead of being an AT. I don't think he actually request her to be playable, but believed she should.

Last edited:

Demented Dex

Smash Cadet
Nakat wanted Krystal playable as well. He even expressed his disappointment briefly in that Nintendo Versus tweet that was posted here earlier.

EE also mentioned wanting her during one of the archived Sm4sh tourneys he commentated on. This one stuck with me because he went so far as to comically yet publicly say he didn't care if people thought he was a furry for it.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
Can confirm that Zero wants Krystal for Smash. I've talked to him about it a couple of times and he said that he thinks she could be really cool, she definitely has support in the competitive community!
I really do think that it comes down to if she's in the next Star Fox game, she needs that relevance I think. I said it before but I'm still pretty surprised and happy that she even made it in as an Assist Trophy considering her (and the Star Fox series') circumstances! Definitely a great sign and a win for us!

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well it's great to hear she was so wanted by them. Here's hoping for Krystal's future, in Smash and a new Star Fox game.

Last edited:

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Does anyone else here besides me find odd that on the official Smash Ultimate website Krystal’s blog page happens to be on its own and not a follow up post to a certain character that hasn’t been talked about yet? You’d think that once a Fox McCloud blog post is uploaded that the Krystal Assist Trophy blog would’ve been the follow up after Fox, but it’s not. This is just a little observation I made while examining other blog posts like Sonic’s and the follow up blog of the Kunckles Assist Trophy.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Does anyone else here besides me find odd that on the official Smash Ultimate website Krystal’s blog page happens to be on its own and not a follow up post to a certain character that hasn’t been talked about yet? You’d think that once a Fox McCloud blog post is uploaded that the Krystal Assist Trophy blog would’ve been the follow up after Fox, but it’s not. This is just a little observation I made while examining other blog posts like Sonic’s and the follow up blog of the Kunckles Assist Trophy.
It came the same week as the Falco update.. I think the day after? Can't remember. I was on vacation the last week and only saw updates sporadically while I was away cuz phone and busy. But yeah, to me it felt like it was a follow up to the Falco update, bundling Star Fox news within a couple day period.

And since I haven't commented on it here yet... I really liked the Krystal update. She looked great in the pics that uploaded and I like that she's a strong presence in the game when her AT comes up. I did find it interesting that they didn't mention Assualt or Command, but I attributed that to the fact that Krystal is definitely appearing in her Adventures look and directly references that game specifically. I've heard people speculate that they mentioned Adventures only cuz "Zero reset the canon and Assault and Command don't count", but of course that's kinda nonsense to me. People are too in love with retcons~

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
By that logic, Adventures shouldn't count either.
Well, my recollection of what I read was that those that said this believed that Adventures was represented because either, "it's the game directly following Zero in the reset timeline and predates Krystal joining the team so she has to appear like this, if anything" or "Krystal never joins the team in the new timeline so this is what she is now". Just overly complicated jumping through hoops, imo. Like I said, I think people love retcons.

I think most of us just consider probably more accurately that Nintendo is a lot more flexible than that and they could make an Adventures remake and follow it up with a Star Fox 2 reimagining for all they care... (or they could make a racing game :V) Point is, Krystal's fate isn't implied by her AT for better or worse... (though I do like the implication that they might actually be considering remaking Adventures).

But yeah, the AT doesn't really prove anything... other than the popular fan request of Krystal being a staff fighter on the roster was seemingly noted, but just implemented in the form of an AT. And because the staff is directly connected to one game in particular, the update with Krystal specifically mentions that game... Adventures. You never see THAT staff wielding Krystal in any other game. May be silly, but if you see the staff as the "item" being announced in the update kinda, it makes more sense, heh.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder why they went with the ice specifically. If I was making a Krystal AT, I'd give her the ground slam

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Well, my recollection of what I read was that those that said this believed that Adventures was represented because either, "it's the game directly following Zero in the reset timeline and predates Krystal joining the team so she has to appear like this, if anything" or "Krystal never joins the team in the new timeline so this is what she is now". Just overly complicated jumping through hoops, imo. Like I said, I think people love retcons.
Still doesn't make any sense to me. The thing is, these people will always try to spin it the way they want things to be, instead of going by the facts. Now that they can't say anything about Adventures anymore, they just go after Assault and Command, and even make up their own headcanon in which Krystal doesn't join the team for whatever reason.

I truly hope she'll actually appear in Starlink, although I have a feeling that she won't. And mark my words: The haters will use it against her once more. If she appears in it, however, they'll simply say: "It's just a crossover. Doesn't count." Same with SF Grand Prix, if true. If she appears, it's not a big deal as it's a mere spin-off. If she doesn't appear, though, they'll bring up the whole retcon thing again. It's pathetic, really.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wonder why they went with the ice specifically. If I was making a Krystal AT, I'd give her the ground slam
Probably to keep her more mobile.

With Fire Blast and Ground Slam, she'd move around, then stop to do her attack. With Ice Blast, she appears to be able to use it on the move.

Plus, I don't think we have any Assist Trophies that are able to freeze enemies, so it also could've just been a unique opportunity.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The ice is honestly a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the series cast, with their spontaneous combustion at will and all.

Plus it matches the color scheme nicely.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Of course at this point it's pretty obvious what they would do with Krystal if she were ever to become a character in the future--which is a good thing. If she uses her staff as an AT, she'll likely use it if they make her a character in the future. And at that point it probably won't just be ice.

Although, as an AT, ice is nice... *gets shot*

Honestly the thing that surprises me the most is that she's in her Adventures appearance. There was a time where I thought it may have been a little too "scantily-clad", given that she was in her Assault form during her previous trophy appearances. But I guess Bayonetta kinda throws that thought process out the window since Smash 4.

Top Bottom