• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Wonder why they went with the ice specifically. If I was making a Krystal AT, I'd give her the ground slam
What Teeb said :p

Also cuz perhaps shes meant to be based off an arctic fox, lol.

But for reals, I have no idea. It's more unique than fire or basic physical damage and the staff can actually blast a stream of ice in Adventures. Would be cool if Krystal used more of it's functions though. Like maybe ice at midrange, fire at range, and would often leave with a slam attack or something.

Still doesn't make any sense to me.
I did say it was nonsense to me. I mean, I'll do what I can to weave some logic out of people's impressions, so I think there's something you could make sense of if you looked hard enough, but yeah... relative to common sense it's nonsense imo. And yeah, people will spin things to work the way they want them to be. Confirmation bias. "Adventures and Assault and Command are obvious retconned so I have to jump through hoops to explain this!" Heh~

I truly hope she'll actually appear in Starlink, although I have a feeling that she won't. And mark my words: The haters will use it against her once more. If she appears in it, however, they'll simply say: "It's just a crossover. Doesn't count." Same with SF Grand Prix, if true. If she appears, it's not a big deal as it's a mere spin-off. If she doesn't appear, though, they'll bring up the whole retcon thing again. It's pathetic, really.
I wouldn't put it past some people to give that logic a shot as silly as it is. Starlink isn't even Star Fox. That would be like saying Dixie and K.Rool don't exist anymore because they aren't in the Mario vs Rabbids game with DK. Also, I believe that Fox is alone among the Star Fox team in Starlink. Maybe Falco would join him but I figure that's it tops. But hey, if they bring Slippy and Peppy in but not Krystal than admittedly that's a bit disconcerting, but given Zero is the most recent game in the series, not entirely surprising if they did that.. and still not any sort of indication that Krystal is gone. A cameo in another series isn't going to do anything canon anyways, so it's pretty "whatever" whatever the outcome.

Truthfully, I think Starlink is just a cute homage and not a lot more at this point. I more expect Krystal to appear in the racing game... if it's indeed real.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I know this isn't really about the character but I would love to see a Starfox Adventures HD Remake. Starfox Adventures is the best looking Starfox game with maybe the exception of Zero. I'm wondering if you could have a mode where you its an alternate version where you play Krystal instead of Fox. The issue would be you would have to modify or redo a lot of the cutscenes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know this isn't really about the character but I would love to see a Starfox Adventures HD Remake. Starfox Adventures is the best looking Starfox game with maybe the exception of Zero. I'm wondering if you could have a mode where you its an alternate version where you play Krystal instead of Fox. The issue would be you would have to modify or redo a lot of the cutscenes.
In the kirby games they have modes where you play as other characters than Kirby and they way they get around the cutscenes is by just not having any

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
By their logic then Fay and Miyu ain't either. And I know quite a few of them that considers them cannon over Krystal.
In that particular case, they actually think that SF2 is Zero's sequel. I've seen quite a few of those people myself. Don't know where they got that idea from. As much as I want Miyu and Fay to join the team, along with Krystal of course, I'm not too sure if we'll ever get to see them again. Maybe in SF GP. But knowing Miyamoto, it's also possible that their official appearance was merely a one time thing. SF2 still comes from an officially rebooted timeline, after all. But I must say, it would be so refreshing to actually have 3 girls on the team. It would make the series a lot more interesting and exciting after all these years of being a sausage fest with the same old characters. But again, it's highly unlikely, IMO.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
By their logic then Fay and Miyu ain't either. And I know quite a few of them that considers them cannon over Krystal.
They're in a rush to remove what they dislike, so they haven't considered that there's still the matter of three different timelines/interpretations of Star Fox. With Hashimoto at the helm, Krystal is a sequel away from being integrated into the most current one. There's also a reasonable chance that she could appear in the rumored racing game. As much as I like Star Fox 2 - it really is the most influential game in the series and its fingerprints are everywhere (charge laser, Star Wolf, all range mode, non-linear mission paths, transformable arwings, missile threats, female pilots, etc etc etc etc etc) - Fay and Miyu are blank slates that the public is only now getting to know, and through a previously cancelled SNES game. Krystal has a much firmer foothold having appeared in 3 games herself, and in this series, a few games is a lot of games. After 25 long years, there's only been 7 original mainlines, and this is counting SF 2. Unless we get yet another interpretation of team Star Fox's beginnings, I can't say with any confidence that we'll see either of those pilots pop up soon. A continuation of the first timeline is possible, however, I don't know who would make Star Fox 3 and I think Nintendo has already invested so much into Zero. Clothing, an animated short and amiibos coincided with the release; they even had Sakurai update the SF cast with the Zero look. My gut feeling is that they want to ride the most current incarnation out for at least another game, and if Hashimoto is reassigned to the director's post, it's very probable that we'll see Krystal again. By the way, he retweeted the announcement from VS last week.

It's not the only SF announcement on his page too, so it makes me wonder if this is alluding to extended involvement with the series or if it's just the fanboy in him coming out. Either way, it's good that a developer with any kind of authority is enthusiastic about Krystal.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
i don't know what to say. I love Fox and I am indifferent about Wolf and Falco and I would enjoy Krystal maybe a bit more than Fox. I honestly... I honestly don't know if I should be happy or not. It's much better than a trophy. Hopefully we can toggle ats so I can specifically summon Krystal all the time.

Well. Hopefully Simon belmont is playable and I'm cool with Don Chan being an Assist but I hope he's playable too. Jibanyan has a slim chance at this point (Though "Folklore" in that leak is really killing me... And everyone agrees with me) and Snip and Clip is possible. But Krystal's one support character out of the league in terms of being playable.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If Krystal has a role in the next Star Fox title, she'll becomes a shoo in to make the jump to a playable character in the next Smash game, and I do very much believe that this is neither the last Smash or the last Sakurai Smash game. Considering Ridley made it in, Dixie may be likely too, and we may see Rool or Geno, it would mean significantly less competition for our blue vixen next time around

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Ridley had size issues, but they both were at least plausible, but Goku and Shrek can't ever happen as Sakurai has repeatedly said "Characters that didn't originate in a video game are ineligible", and that's one area Sakurai will stay firm on,
You are quite literal, and that's why we love you~

Clearly Ryuu spoke in jest.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I've seen on the tweet, the FB post and the r/nintendo post that people were sad she wasn't actually playable but glad to see her mentioned, so it's clear that nintendo can report to sakurai that people want her playable. Aswell as potentially reporting her popularity to Miyamoto. There's still a possibility in my opinion of her being changed from AT change during the DLC cycle, I mean I feel like we're really at the bottom when it comes to character picks, realistically we could have a bunch of ****ty advert picks, and it being a deconfirm is just a fan rule. Also I'm dissapointed that sakurai folded on ridley, he's completely right about it not being ridley, though I'm still impressed with what he was able to accomplish despite balancing him. His moveset quite literally screams ridley, but he's a hunched up ******. But I digress, nothing really new to say, we need GP (or any official star fox game)with Krystal to have a chance to come true, That's still necessary, and I bet he could just take the cutscene model from that game and make her playable, usually he wanted everyone to be thematic from their game, but this time he's open to it, it'd be pretty poetic for Krystal to be the only one not to match. For some reason gonintendo reported on a 4chan rumor about a july direct, I think it's awfully ******** to report on a rumor from /v, but he's doing it based on it mentioning the funkopop figures and the mario kart announcements noted before hand, it lists "star fox racing" as showing up in it, dating it at july 22nd, so a bit over a week. I can't say I'd put that much stock on it, but it's definitely more than anything marcus can dish out. I wonder if Krystal would stick around for the next smash with the obvious roster cut, I feel like something with large and long term fan outcry would stay if she made it to playable status.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If we get Star Fox GP, and Krystal gets turned into a playable fighter via DLC, I think she should have three or four costumes: Her Adventures attire, her Assault attire (with a HUD, of course) and her Star Fox GP attire, with one attire either from Command or a made up attire for Smash

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If we get GP, it will have Krystal. A racing game needs a bigger cast and she's the most well known character who isn't Andross or a member of one of the two main teams. In fact, even characters like Andrew and Panther pales in comparison, from what I can tell. She's a shoo in.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
If we get Star Fox GP, and Krystal gets turned into a playable fighter via DLC, I think she should have three or four costumes: Her Adventures attire, her Assault attire (with a HUD, of course) and her Star Fox GP attire, with one attire either from Command or a made up attire for Smash
Knowing Sakurai we'd get the GP look, with an adventures alternate set, Which is a bit sad for assault fans like me, but I'd bet the GP look will be assault inspired anyway. If GP comes to pass or not, I seriously doubt that we will be without a mainline Starfox game, it doesn't suffer from the perfect game nonsense with F-Zero, it's not stuck do to low fan request because of miyamoto, it's considered a fairly mainline IP that would be included. It's just an issue of waiting as per usual. Realistically the next one will have Krystal, she's pretty popular and now we have pretty solid proof of that it's recognized. So we should just keep our eyes peeled, because we do need a game for relevance, as her fan outcry simply wasn't loud enough to get her in on that alone, and the likely reason is because he spent the energy to bring back the cut vets instead of newcomers, though we're still likely to get more. I'd like to reiterate that this is the first time in official media that Krystal actually got to use her staff in actual combat, so he clearly understands the same things we do about her. And the fact she's not an echo fighter means she clearly is unique. So It's really just a test to see if some devs care enough about her from here. We should keep supporting her if we can though.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Knowing Sakurai we'd get the GP look, with an adventures alternate set, Which is a bit sad for assault fans like me, but I'd bet the GP look will be assault inspired anyway. If GP comes to pass or not, I seriously doubt that we will be without a mainline Starfox game, it doesn't suffer from the perfect game nonsense with F-Zero, it's not stuck do to low fan request because of miyamoto, it's considered a fairly mainline IP that would be included. It's just an issue of waiting as per usual. Realistically the next one will have Krystal, she's pretty popular and now we have pretty solid proof of that it's recognized. So we should just keep our eyes peeled, because we do need a game for relevance, as her fan outcry simply wasn't loud enough to get her in on that alone, and the likely reason is because he spent the energy to bring back the cut vets instead of newcomers, though we're still likely to get more. I'd like to reiterate that this is the first time in official media that Krystal actually got to use her staff in actual combat, so he clearly understands the same things we do about her. And the fact she's not an echo fighter means she clearly is unique. So It's really just a test to see if some devs care enough about her from here. We should keep supporting her if we can though.
I agree, but would GP eliminate the relevance argument next time around or would only mainline games count?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I agree, but would GP eliminate the relevance argument next time around or would only mainline games count?
Well...

:ultbowserjr:Mario Kart reference in side B
:ultcloud:Has movie outfit
:ultdoc:Is spin off character
:ultluigi:Uses vacuum from spin-off
:ultdaisy:Originally from handheld spin-off
:ultsonic:Moveset partially derived from Sonic The Fighters

There's precedent at least.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Now I'm just imagining Krystal's moveset being somehow derived from racing moves and having a Captain Falcon like final Smash or something. Not sure if love this idea. I mean, I love the idea of Krystal being in smash, but her suddenly being a reference to something I have no attachment to yet would feel.... interesting. Would be like if Isabelle's moveset was based off her Mario Kart appearance, lol.

I doubt a potential Krystal moveset would be this left field. Even if a racing game was her most recent appearance. Just a little too crazy. She has history that can be mined and Sakurai is definitely aware.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, according to a recent 4chan leak (take it with a grain of salt) Krystal was supposed to be playable this time, but due to time constraints, her character being behind schedule, and not overwhelmingly high ballot support, she was cut and made into an AT, so she'd at least be in the game. So basically, very close to actually making it in this time, and next time will probably be the time she makes it in as a playable fighter

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, according to a recent 4chan leak (take it with a grain of salt) Krystal was supposed to be playable this time, but due to time constraints, her character being behind schedule, and not overwhelmingly high ballot support, she was cut and made into an AT, so she'd at least be in the game. So basically, very close to actually making it in this time, and next time will probably be the time she makes it in as a playable fighter
Can you post the full thing?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Doesn't the prospect of DLC kind of invalidate the idea of time constraints if she was "supposed" to be a playable character?

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
found the source, took a picture because 4chan links die eventually, I like how it assumes the dlc is pre-planned because that's totally possible.

Attachments

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
found the source, took a picture because 4chan links die eventually, I like how it assumes the dlc is pre-planned because that's totally possible.
So what are you suggesting about Krystal? Because I don't think her being promoted to from an AT to a full fledged fighter via DLC, is unlikely, IMHO

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
sakurai has stated that he's not thinking about DLC but this leak directly infers that they pre-plan the DLC which would mean that sakurai has come full circle, after hand saying that he hates it when companies do that. Not that I think that isn't impossible by any means. I would like to inform everyone that /v has people who do this **** a lot, they make obnoxious write-ups for amusement and pretend to be leakers. Having this extensive of information would mean it would be so high in the chain, Also while it seems convincing, her story is basically the exact same as it was for Brawl in this, not to mention them actually putting Shovel Knight in, which is a hilarious concept that they wouldn't do, plus a Starfox game with her in it would fix the issue anyway.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So, I'm pretty sure I shared a Star Fox survey here a while back. Three months to be exact. Well, I ended up getting preoccupied with other things, and eventually the survey slipped my mind. Came across it, and published the survey's results.

If any of you are interested, you can check out the results here. Some of the results were predictable, but some not so much.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The results I found the most interesting

• In spite of Star Fox 64 being the favourite, most agree that Assault's style is the way to go
  • Transforming vehicles got a much more tepid reception than on foot
  • Adventures and options related to it are a minority bu it's stable across the whole thing, indicating a sub-fanbase as anticipated.
  • Opinions on Shigeru Miyamoto getting involved look like a peace sign, ironically representing a turbulent relationship with the fanbase
  • According to the extra comments: Not liking motion controls means you hate fun...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Not liking motion controls on principal means you have fun. Not liking their implementation seems totally valid in most cases.
What surprised me most was the love for aerial PvP. 1 on 1 dogfights are the fullest thing in the series and I was so greatful when assault took us away from them.

What I do like, though, is the amount of support for character relations, party picking, diverging paths and RPG elements in the comments. It looks to me like my idea of using datesim-style mechanics to bond with characters between missions and determine both who flies with you and how effective they are would work surprisingly well for the fanbase. Plus, 64 even set up a precedent for party members influencing what levels you visit. Crank that up to eleven and you've got yourself some serious replay value with more emotional impact than ever before.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well with Ashley and Shovel Knight also confirmed for Assist Trophies, it's not like Smash 7 will be left wanting for potential newcomers.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
After today’s Smash Direct and seeing the character roster getting filled out more with some more great characters makes me feel depressed. It’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for sure now, but not seeing our blue vixen in the roster doesn’t make me feel like it’s SSB: Ultimate. Furthermore, this picture:
E19CA364-DCCF-44F8-82AB-7A92F21E1F8F.jpeg

is confirmed to be posted on the main Smash Bros. Ultimate website.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
After today’s Smash Direct and seeing the character roster getting filled out more with some more great characters makes me feel depressed. It’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for sure now, but not seeing our blue vixen in the roster doesn’t make me feel like it’s SSB: Ultimate. Furthermore, this picture:View attachment 156469
is confirmed to be posted on the main Smash Bros. Ultimate website.
10 minutes later, Fox McCloud was rushed to the hospital to have emergency surgery to remove a magic staff from his nose.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really expect her to be playable pre DLC, Ridley, Inkling and K Rool are the top 3 requested characters, tippy top of the list, it's quite clear they're very decisively choosing characters to drive home hype for the roster, as it appears nintendo is really relying on Smash Ultimate to carry them a bit, even wasting time trying to get the melee fanbase to try and like it, a fruitless effort most likely. the CG trailers are expensive to make, and assuredly if there was something else to base it off of, IE Starfox: Grand Prix, they'll be a good shot at DLC, which is what i've been banking on since a distance before she was even announced as an AT, the company will request the creation of DLC, regardless of how much content is already in Ultimate, this game, despite people still calling it a party game, is largely being treated like a fighting game, and what drives a big part of fighting game sales? DLC fighters, most people have already talked about "bottom of the barrel" character choosing, which I'm firmly agreeing with, the GP rumor puts it at a 2019 release, as it'll likely take a few months for ultimate to start it's cycle, this ought to be perfect for her as she'll be fresh in everyone's minds, and there's no reason to suggest why she wouldn't be in a fricken cartoon racing game, which focuses on it's roster about the same as a fighting game. Sakurai says he's not focused on DLC, or even thinking about it, but that doesn't really mean anything, other than, if true, he already gave Krystal what he thought she deserved, which all things considered is pretty accurate, if we get GP though, he'll surely reconsider her, if not... well it was surely our best shot.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I'm honestly surprise they put an Indie character like Shovel Knight in. Makes me feel like Shantae actual might have a chance. But yeah, seeing Krystal in the direct as an AT. Hurts my heart a bit.
Shantae would be awesome but I doubt it. They seem against putting in western characters as fighters.

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
After analyzing all the stuff that’s been revealed so far I’ve come to a realization. The idea of Krystal being an AT & a Fighter doesn’t sound so far fetched anymore. I mean look at Ratholos he’s an AT and a boss which is a Smash Bros. first.

Top Bottom