• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Oh boy here we go!
  • Implying Krystal isnt a main character. If anyone's a secondary character, it's Katt since she's not part of the main team whereas Krystal is.
Because she isn't. You wanna know who is the main character of Star Fox? Fox Mccloud. If she was a main character, she would have been in all the games in the series as a playable character. Where was she the last 2 games? Where was she for the first 3? Fox is the only one that is in all the Star Fox games and they are centered around him, not Krystal.

Even Daisy fans aren't that far gone enough to think shes a main character :rolleyes:

• If the original and Star Fox 64 are so iconic, how come no one really cares about them? That's like saying F-Zero and F-Zero X are iconic when it's clear no one knows or cares about it (you know the majority only know of the title because of Smash). What i'm saying is neither of those two were that great as much as they were big back then.
if they weren't iconic, Fox wouldn't even be in the game lmao. Its almost as if you want zero reps for Star Fox when you make a comment like that. Star Fox 64 outsold every game Krystal was it. For you to downplay that, seems petty

you can subjectively say that you enjoy the Star Fox games Krystal was in but saying Star Fox 64 didn't make much of an impact? LMAO. We can say the Ice Climber series is irrelevant and no one talks about them anymore too but they did plenty for Nintendo back in the day, so they deserve their spot. Sakurai knows that.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Because she isn't. You wanna know who is the main character of Star Fox? Fox Mccloud. If she was a main character, she would have been in all the games in the series as a playable character. Where was she the last 2 games? Where was she for the first 3? Fox is the only one that is in all the Star Fox games and they are centered around him, not Krystal.

Even Daisy fans aren't that far gone enough to think shes a main character :rolleyes:

if they weren't iconic, Fox wouldn't even be in the game lmao. Its almost as if you want zero reps for Star Fox when you make a comment like that. Star Fox 64 outsold every game Krystal was it. For you to downplay that, seems petty

you can subjectively say that you enjoy the Star Fox games Krystal was in but saying Star Fox 64 didn't make much of an impact? LMAO. We can say the Ice Climber series is irrelevant and no one talks about them anymore too but they did plenty for Nintendo back in the day, so they deserve their spot. Sakurai knows that.
The last two games were remakes of SF 64, she didn't have a reason or realistic chance to be in the games, she definitely isn't THE main character, but she's apart of the main team from the sequels of the series, minus SF2. Also someone has to explain daisy's popularity to me, it's largely isolated to here from what i've seen. Daisy has been relegated to a spin-off character for ages, the comparison isn't really accurate since Krystal is apart of the mainline games. Also Sauria was mentioned in the battle begins trailer so they haven't thrown her out.
Though i must admit, i'm curious to see why you decided to reappear and to hit the Krystal thread after a year of being gone.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
she definitely isn't THE main character, but she's apart of the main team from the sequels of the series, minus SF2. Daisy has been relegated to a spin-off character for ages, the comparison isn't really accurate since Krystal is apart of the mainline games.
agreed.

but if i had to be blunt, the Star Fox franchise seems like a retro series at this point with the path it seems to be heading towards. Every retro series (that was big back in the day but is irrelevant now) has had only one rep each.

Would you believe it if i said Tiny Kong has had a more recent playable appearance than Krystal? Its not far fetched to say Star Fox won't be getting more reps next game. And if they do, the only likely one is Wolf's return as a clone.

Though i must admit, i'm curious to see why you decided to reappear and to hit the Krystal thread after a year of being gone.
i was puzzled to see that this was one of the most popular threads here. I wanted to see if people were actually being objective about her chances here

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
agreed.

but if i had to be blunt, the Star Fox franchise seems like a retro series at this point with the path it seems to be heading towards. Every retro series (that was big back in the day but is irrelevant now) has had only one rep each.

Would you believe it if i said Tiny Kong has had a more recent playable appearance than Krystal? Its not far fetched to say Star Fox won't be getting more reps next game. And if they do, the only likely one is Wolf's return as a clone.

i was puzzled to see that this was one of the most popular threads here. I wanted to see if people were actually being objective about her chances here
Starfox is a struggling franchise, Metroid despite not having big sales is beloved by the internet and critically acclaimed by many, SF doesn't have that and deteoriates in sales with each release, I post here with the hope of it increasing her percevied popularity, while a nagging feeling that her features don't matter compared to relevance. There's alot here and some of it is good in her favor but obviously some of it is going to be biased, If smash follows it's conventional design philosophy she'll likely miss her chance i have to agree. She has underdog potential but it's all hinging on theories, following around the internet people tend to clamor for more recent characters. Her popularity is hidden behind closed doors and due to her age and design prevents new fans from knowing about her. She'll need a new game and is likely to return if old Miyamoto decides to make a continued storyline, Unless we simply branch from SF2 and she's ignored for some curious reason, After all it was his idea to put her in SF. I think it hinges all on Miyamoto personally to put her in, hence why i addressed the letter to him, a farfetched gambit indeed, by Cuthbert said addressing letters to people tend to work, though he was referring to Imamura, who's responsible for SFs storyline and characters in Command, considering his treatment of her in that game, I don't think i can really count on him. The reason i count on the Creative Fellow is because Sakurai has mentioned developers wanting their characters in the game, Snake's inclusion is a prime example of it's effectiveness, sure he was ejected but that issue is complicated. While some would argue putting wolf in, Krystal's kit is more naturally dynamic, and Slippy has low popularity, in the west atleast. So unless SF gets special attention, hopefully soon as it's 25th is coming up, i have to agree with you of SF's position to not have realistic chance compared to more relevant and central characters.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
The reason i'm downplaying Star Fox 64 is because there's this weird delusion like it's still great, yet the enhanced port it got on the 3DS sold nowhere near its original release did which begs the question. Zero being as it's literally a remake of 64 sold even worse than it.

No, 64 3D didnt sell poorly because the 3DS was struggling at the time, OoT3D says otherwise along with what followed suit. It also didnt sell poorly because of the supposed lack of advertising because there sure was. Even when 643D got the Selects Edition mark to make it $20 it didnt help it when OoT3Ds boosted it. Do note the 3DS has a much, MUCH higher population than the WiiU so there's no excuse for 643D to do so badly other than the possibility that the supposed iconic game wasnt really as great as you thought. There is such a case where something is overrated and 64 is that.

And no, Zero didn't fail because it was on the WIiU. You had two games that came out prior to Zero and both of them were a critical success. One of which was a brand new IP and the other advertised Zero. Even the very last Nintendo game did better than it. The point is it failed because it tried to desperately cater to nostalgia by being literally the same exact game you already own but written as if George Lucas did (actually he did, he was called Shigeru Miyamoto), something that no one asked for.

But you know what? As much as I despise Zero, i'll give it some credit, it;
  • Finally debunked that stupid leg myth that was never true to begin with (thanks Nintendo Power, you and your "wacky 90s" stuff)
  • Completely obliterated all complaints that were made over the years. In other words it all backfired on those who complained as it's now their fault entirely.
  • Made a huge portion realize that the game they thought was great never really was to the point of even appreciating the sequels, Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assautl.
  • Gave me every reason to make fun of it when Metroid got TWO games announced at E3 a year after Zero.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet

You obviously don't know the difference between main protagonist and main character. Fox is actually the main protagonist whereas his team members (and that includes Krystal) are all considered main characters of the series. Even Star Wolf are. Look it up on the wiki.

When it comes to Katt, she remains a side character, same goes for Bill. Reprising a role in a remake of a game you are supposed to be in anyway doesn't make you relevant in the overall story. In fact, if we take all the canon events of the series (Lylat Wars, Saurian Crisis, Aparoid Invasion, Anglar Blitz), Krystal appears in the majority of those (even if we count SF2). The problem is that almost half of the series' games cover the Lylat Wars with only the original being successful. 64 3D didn't do too well. It's funny how people say that Assault did poorly while it actually did better than 64 3D (not much better though, in all fairness). Adventures sold better than 64 3D and Zero combined. 64 was a big thing back then but these days it no longer is. Otherwise its remakes would have done much better. It's time to take the series to the next level by adding aspects that are popular these days, not 20 years ago. Open World would be a good approach in order to get new people on board.

Don't get me wrong, I like Katt, especially in the comics. I actually like all of the females in SF and I think the next game should include them all, just like SF Event Horizon (cool fangame, you should check it out). I still think that Krystal is way more popular than Katt. I mean look at all the fanart, fan mods and stuff like that. Not even Fox gets as much. I know there is a huge portion of inappropriate fanart but that's what the internet is doing to attractive females, including Katt, Miyu etc. There is still lots of cool fanart for her though, and that seems to come on a daily basis. This kind of devotion is almost unheard of, especially considering the fact that she's been away for so long. Also, Krystal actually appeared in Smash, unlike Katt and the other females, plus she was playable in every SF game she appeared in while Katt was only playable in Command.

You also said that Krystal is not relevant among the general public but it seems like the series as a whole is not too relevant anymore either. Is there another character from the series that you think is still relevant these days, especially after the failure of Zero? I don't get your point here. The games that feature Krystal actually didn't do too bad, except for Command. Nintendo can consider themselves lucky if a future SF title ever reaches the numbers of Adventures. The 64 remakes failed compared to the original, Zero especially (being the worst selling game of the series). People are tired of the 64 story and want to see something new.

I have to agree with you that Krystal's inclusion as a playable character in Smash is very unlikely since she has been absent for so long, due to the fact that all we've got in the past decade are 2 remakes of the same game (Zero is NOT a reboot, btw. Look it up). With franchises like Splatoon and ARMS it just wouldn't make sense to add a Star Fox newcomer. She has to return to the SF series first and that shouldn't be too hard if we keep the support coming. It should be easier than getting her into Smash, I think.

The SF series can thrive once more if Nintendo stops making remakes. The story needs to progress once again, something that hasn't happened in 11 years. While the sales indicate that the series is no longer relevant, I think the basic interest for it still remains. If you look at the number of views for 'The Battle Begins', it seems like people are still interested in the SF universe but they don't buy the games. I mean, compare the number of views for the anime with the number of people that actually bought SF Zero. That's another indication that something has to change with the actual games. Not to mention that the anime was well received, unlike Zero itself.

We are all in the same boat. We want to see Krystal again or at least see the SF series becoming more popular. So let's come together instead of arguing and dwelling on the past, and show Nintendo that Krystal & Star Fox support is still strong these days!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Since it's Star Fox-related, this is clearly worth sharing here.

Two videos have been published showing Star Fox 2 in action on the SNES Mini.

We can see from these that Star Fox 2 was going to slip its originally-publicised 1995 release, as the title screen carries a copyright date of 1996. In turn, this sheds a bit more light on the business-decisions of the time that led to the game going unreleased until now.

Interestingly, some of the sound-effects are slightly different to those in the near-final build that's been circulating on the internet for years, and the official translation is clearly much more in-line with that of the original game (bearing in mind that the well-known fan-translation was based on a pre-release Japanese script, and, of course, was not expected to adhere to Nintendo's translation practises of the time).

Other footage, from a Japanese trailer shows that the emulation of the original Star Fox (and, clearly, in turn, that of Star Fox 2) is spot-on, allowing for the game to be played as originally designed, since the game's design clearly accounted for the hardware that it was running on - frame-rate dips and all. I'm really impressed, though I expected no less, considering that the SNES' Super FX-based titles are some pretty important re-releases. ;)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I think we're all realistically aware that her chances are slim.... but it wouldn't be much of a support thread if we took that fact as some sign of defeat. With a bit of optimism and assumption here and there, you can argue that she doesn't really have that much in her way in terms of first party characters... especially if she was lucky enough to become relatively relevant again and her flagship franchise rose to it's top 10 Nintendo franchise standing. Still, "that much" could be at least a dozen Nintendo characters that would be considered before her. 12 is a lot, but maybe not too much? We try to use a certain amount of logic naturally. Broad assumptions that allow for us to imagine her chances in "glass half full" kinda way.

Of course, we could just be pessimists and say her odds are so long they're nigh unforeseeable. Claim that there's 100 characters that would be considered before her. Heck, why not just say Smash Wii U was the last Smash Bros game in the series and despite rumors there's actually no plans to continue it. That falls into pretty unlikely territory, but a pessimist will readily adopt worst case scenarios as quickly as an optimist will dare to hope on long shots.

Point being I think we carry a lot of optimism and hope here, just as any character support thread should. We're aware of all the obstacles, even as we try to imagine they aren't as big as they may actually be when we really think about it. It's not delusion exactly, heh... just enthusiasm. Many of us know the reality of not getting what we want. We were here when Smash 4 DLC was done and it was still great but missing just that certain something we as a group hoped for. Some of us remember when Brawl did the same. We're not going to suddenly melt down and question everything about our support if Krystal didn't make it. But so long as there's a chance, why not think about that?

Last, I'll just add that I recently returned to the board and was happy to see a thriving support thread for Krystal on Smash Switch. I can't say why it's as popular as it is though. Maybe a lot of the other character support groups are still using their social threads from the end of Smash 4 DLC. Maybe they've moved to Discord or something. Maybe they've kinda spread out and away from Smashboards some while we haven't as much?

In any case, one of the first things I commented on here was how long our odds are. I basically said, we gotta hope on the long shot that Star Fox might appear on Switch featuring Krystal before the next Smash is too far into development. Ideally, a new game... more realistically, an HD remake. Both scenarios encompass varying levels of impact and different levels of "unlikely" given the hoped for timeframe... but not impossible and actually likely if we don't worry about the timeframe. The reason for hoping on such an outcome is the whole relevancy factor. It's not impossible for a character with very little recent relevancy to get into Smash. It's just that it's a lot more likely if the character is, historically and logically. I recognize that, most all of us do.

And the optimists in us also recognize that this outcome would be positive regardless of timing. We want Krystal back in her series again first and foremost. Having another chance to grow as a character in her own universe again. Getting into Smash would just be a "cheery on top" possible consequence of that. We're ready to accept a form of concession but still hope for the pie in the sky scenario. Discuss not just her being in Smash, but her ideal movesets, etc. Really is fun to get deep down that rabbit hole of possibility.

I think the arguments you made in your last few post are valid regarding Krystal's chances, though leaning towards pessimistic especially relative to our usual disposition regarding the topic, lol. But here we brainstorm how these obstacles can be minimized in theory and in whatever way we can muster.. in practice as well.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Point being I think we carry a lot of optimism and hope here, just as any character support thread should. We're aware of all the obstacles, even as we try to imagine they aren't as big as they may actually be when we really think about it. It's not delusion exactly, heh... just enthusiasm.
I think it's fair to say that, like any good character support-thread, we're here because we like the character and the series. There's nothing wrong with having realistically-tempered hopes of perhaps seeing a character one likes added to Smash just because you like the character, without really worrying about game-development circumstances ("relevance" and so on) that are beyond the control of everyday customers.

After all, at the end of the day, we have no say about and no real effect on development, and nothing that takes place on a site like this does. What any character-support thread is really all about is saying "Hey guys, we like this character - do you like them too? Let's have some fun with this.". I certainly have fun with it, even though we all always keep in mind that we have no control over the odds.

Part of the fun is imagining what could be, even if it may not be.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I think it's fair to say that, like any good character support-thread, we're here because we like the character and the series. There's nothing wrong with having realistically-tempered hopes of perhaps seeing a character one likes added to Smash just because you like the character, without really worrying about game-development circumstances ("relevance" and so on) that are beyond the control of everyday customers.

After all, at the end of the day, we have no say about and no real effect on development, and nothing that takes place on a site like this does. What any character-support thread is really all about is saying "Hey guys, we like this character - do you like them too? Let's have some fun with this.". I certainly have fun with it, even though we all always keep in mind that we have no control over the odds.

Part of the fun is imagining what could be, even if it may not be.
Jesus the SNES preorders are insane, i was just out there battling people, there was a rumor of a new walmart listing, which turned out to be real, it sold out in under a minute that's a new record, but I managed to procur one, the stock tracker didn't even go off. How hilarious. Also yea there's no real reason to simply stop talking about her after we've discussed everything realistically about her inclusions chances, there's still plenty that can be done with the character. After all Smash isn't completely predictable so an array of characters is possible and there's no way Miyamoto would avoid making an SF for the switch.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Apologies for not being around very often. I've been...going through a lot. I'll leave it at that.

Also yea there's no real reason to simply stop talking about her after we've discussed everything realistically about her inclusions chances, there's still plenty that can be done with the character. After all Smash isn't completely predictable so an array of characters is possible and there's no way Miyamoto would avoid making an SF for the switch.
Well, given the current circumstances, our only realistic shot right now is for more Smash Ballot picks to happen. There was that line about it being used "for the future", and Krystal seems to have been considered for Brawl, so the ties to Smash are already there and...well, who knows?

Though featuring in a new Star Fox game and therefore being relevant again would be another option. Then again, with the...questionable creative choices that went into SFZ, how much can we trust Miyamoto to get it right nowadays?

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
If i can manage it really quickly, i'll try to see if I can get featured on Nintendo Minute. Long story short, they're asking for Metroid Fan Art, which for anyone here who draws could easily do something of Krystal and Samus. I cannot guarantee but then again I shouldnt expect to, it doesnt hurt to try.

Source of the post

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
That's actually a really nice idea CDR because Nintendo will obviously be watching that twitter feed. And it will still show that people want to see the character again, long shot though it may be, but what do we have to lose! I say go for it if you can.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To improve chances, try Samus with a group of Nintendo gals backing her up, Krystal included.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'd tie into the mutual space theme. Krystal can feature more prominently that way. Won't necessarily be a clutter of female characters. Too often Krystal is simply boxed in as "female character!" anyways. Maybe something like Samus hunting a Metroid infestation of Sauria with Krystal helping, lol. Silly, but it's an idea~

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Samus' arm seems a tad long but I also really don't think you needed to explain what you were going for because it conveys that emotion perfectly. Very nicely done!
It's well documented that Samus has freaky Chozo flexibility or something~

But for reals, if you imagine how her body fits in her suits, you usually realize her shoulders are "long" so as to allow her arms to hang far from her body... if that makes sense. Just look at her in Metroid Prime and imagine how a person fits in there. The armor after Other M is a bit easier to make sense of, but still makes you wonder how thick the armor really is.
Ironic, considering they share the same voice actress (Alesia Glidewell).
Makes it even more perfect!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's well documented that Samus has freaky Chozo flexibility or something~

But for reals, if you imagine how her body fits in her suits, you usually realize her shoulders are "long" so as to allow her arms to hang far from her body... if that makes sense. Just look at her in Metroid Prime and imagine how a person fits in there. The armor after Other M is a bit easier to make sense of, but still makes you wonder how thick the armor really is.
That seems logical but fails to explain the back arm looking normal. Pretty cool that you found an arguably canon reason, anyway.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
That seems logical but fails to explain the back arm looking normal. Pretty cool that you found an arguably canon reason, anyway.
To be fair, and less jokey, there really isn't anything that abnormal in Cdr's art there with the arms or anything. Samus's arm is a bit stretched out you might say, like she's extending it around Krystal's back, but it's not overly long. It's in proportion to the other arm within normal "stylized art" proportions or maybe slightly outside barely... but not so much that it's "wrong". The length from point of shoulder to elbow on both arms is roughly the same and from elbow to wrist as well. She's also leaning into Krystal some so her armpit isn't right on Krystal's shoulder but kinda behind her shoulder some. Seeing it the other way it might seem long and narrow, but really it's a bit behind Krystal's back in places and probably isn't as narrow as it appears. That's not to say it doesn't seem a bit awkward, but really looking at it, it doesn't seem disproportionately so. That said, Samus body position does imply that maybe there ought to be a bit more foreshortening in the arm as it goes across Krystal's back, but maybe Samus is kinda twisting away from that arm and her elbow is pointing slightly behind her. She is flexible like I said, heh.

So yeah, it's a bit awkward but it's not really off proportionately. If it were me, I might've just had the hand on the shoulder and most of that arm out of view behind Krystal, but this pose makes them seem much more chummy than just a simple hand on the shoulder which can read as being comforting or something instead.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I wasnt expecting my image would lead into a debate of Samus' arm, but ok. Thanks for the input.

ANYWAY

Miiverse is officially dying, the end date is in November. Though i've already taken virtually everything i've done i've still made the request to receive them all. It was fun but I think it's for the best it goes away since it's obvious it suffered.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I wasnt expecting my image would lead into a debate of Samus' arm, but ok. Thanks for the input.

ANYWAY

Miiverse is officially dying, the end date is in November. Though i've already taken virtually everything i've done i've still made the request to receive them all. It was fun but I think it's for the best it goes away since it's obvious it suffered.
I'm glad you're getting all your stuff. It's worth saving.

Edit to avoid double posting but to share this here since it hasn't been shared yet:

The Star Fox 2 Manual is pretty cool to browse...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/starfox2/html/EUen/index.html

...but will probably just straight up make you wish you had the game now.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
So I guess things slowed down lol, There was actually an interview with Miyamoto, Imamura and Watanbe? i think it was about SF2 development and it making it's way to the SNES classic.
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/9214cd6a-758b-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

You can see some things from Google Translate (however much you can count on that), the one that seemed odd to me was that Miyamoto was asked about having SF2 on it, not his idea of having it on. Which is bit depressing. But there's still some tidbits in it. Maybe we'll some more information on how he feels about SF's popularity after the SNES classic is in people's hands, all 4 of them.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
(Sigh) If only Nintendo would give Krystal her own game to tell us more about her life and backstory.

THAT would be extremely pleasurable and promising, no?

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
(Sigh) If only Nintendo would give Krystal her own game to tell us more about her life and backstory.

THAT would be extremely pleasurable and promising, no?
I wouldn't say she should get her own game, that's unrealistic. What I think she should have is an unlockable sub-campaign. Like RE4's Seperate ways, but instead of telling a tale that happened at the same time it tells a tale of her history before Sauria. Which would definitely be promising.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I wouldn't say she should get her own game, that's unrealistic. What I think she should have is an unlockable sub-campaign. Like RE4's Seperate ways, but instead of telling a tale that happened at the same time it tells a tale of her history before Sauria. Which would definitely be promising.
Pardon my french, but I don't see how that's unrealistic.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
How about if Daisy had her own game? Would that be realistic?

Krystal has not had a cannon part in the games for a very long time and so it would be pretty weird to see her reappearance be a solo game out of nowhere. Let her feature as part of them again and see where that takes us instead.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Pardon my french, but I don't see how that's unrealistic.
When a game is made by Nintendo, they brainstorm ideas and decide whether or not this fits current IP or should be new IP. In the case of something like this, it would have be to justified by demand. There's a considerable amount of Krystal fans but not enough to warrant the resources to making something catered to her. Slippy's game was his face plastered on an idea. It's basically a joke to ask about Mother 3, but NoA doesn't think it's a lucrative idea to do something like localizing a game. Which definitely has more demand and is almost certainly easier than making a new modern game.

Of course if there's a team already working on an SF game and there are people are infact looking for more content out of an SF game, along with the fact that Krystal lost out on a lot of content in Adventures so Imamura could feel like expanding on that, It'd be a good way to increase the games content aswell, seeing as Krystal is one of the most popular things from the franchise. But even that is unlikely, though we can all hope.

How about if Daisy had her own game? Would that be realistic?

Krystal has not had a cannon part in the games for a very long time and so it would be pretty weird to see her reappearance be a solo game out of nowhere. Let her feature as part of them again and see where that takes us instead.
There's little reason to not expect her in any game that is intended as a sequel, though there is that fringe chance.
Also I'll state again, Daisy is a character relegated to spin-offs whereas Krystal is a mainline character through and through. They aren't exactly comparable.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Of course Krystal is highly likely, just not without the rest of the cast. That's all I was trying to say.
A character generally needs relevance to get a solo game and Krystal is very much not a current character, or particularly important to the story, just a great character with history as a main player who's time to reappear would logically be the game after a 64 redux.

The Daisy comparison was simply because Daisy featured in the main series and briefly had the same relevance as Peach but, unlike Peach, who did, I really couldn't see her getting a solo game now. Not without being reintegrated into the main series.
Yes, there is a difference between being relegated to spinoffs and being left out completely but the point still stands.

Where the main difference lies is in the likelihood of that reintegration and, as a result, the character's future situation. Krystal has a serious shot at resurfacing while Daisy is practically pigeonholed in her current role.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So I guess things slowed down lol, There was actually an interview with Miyamoto, Imamura and Watanbe? i think it was about SF2 development and it making it's way to the SNES classic.
https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/9214cd6a-758b-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

You can see some things from Google Translate (however much you can count on that), the one that seemed odd to me was that Miyamoto was asked about having SF2 on it, not his idea of having it on. Which is bit depressing. But there's still some tidbits in it. Maybe we'll some more information on how he feels about SF's popularity after the SNES classic is in people's hands, all 4 of them.
We've got an official translation for this interview, now.

It's quite an interesting piece, and it seems that the concerns Miyamoto and Watanabe have about Star Fox 2's inclusion on the SNES Mini stem from being unsure as to whether the game would be accepted by modern-day players. This is probably due to being part of the industry and being very close to the subject-matter.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
We've got an official translation for this interview, now.

It's quite an interesting piece, and it seems that the concerns Miyamoto and Watanabe have about Star Fox 2's inclusion on the SNES Mini stem from being unsure as to whether the game would be accepted by modern-day players. This is probably due to being part of the industry and being very close to the subject-matter.
Yea that seems like a good analysis, especially with Watanabe's input on the art. This was cutting edge for SNES hardware 22 years ago but nothing to hardware now. I'm glad to see that the official translation clears that up as it means he does still care about SF. This game keeps surprising everyone with how much it's getting which is uplifting. Thanks for the info lol. You know I was glancing over the wolf thread and I saw you two talking about Sakurai's project potentially being SF, It's really not out of the realm of possibility the way I look at these mech-shifting arwings. Though that would mean the game was in development for the switch while Zero was being wrapped up for the Wii U, which sits oddly with me unless they actually scheduled a game for it's 25th anniversary. It'd be awfully amusing for Sakurai to make a new Starfox experience but not have a hand in choosing characters for Smash. Though I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have some kind of role in it.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yea that seems like a good analysis, especially with Watanabe's input on the art. This was cutting edge for SNES hardware 22 years ago but nothing to hardware now. I'm glad to see that the official translation clears that up as it means he does still care about SF. This game keeps surprising everyone with how much it's getting which is uplifting. Thanks for the info lol.
No problem! :grin:

I read the whole thing, and found it to be pretty insightful. The new information about who the unwitting face-models for the original game were was quite funny. I guess that means that Andross was based on Hiroshi Yamauchi! :laugh:

You know I was glancing over the wolf thread and I saw you two talking about Sakurai's project potentially being SF, It's really not out of the realm of possibility the way I look at these mech-shifting arwings. Though that would mean the game was in development for the switch while Zero was being wrapped up for the Wii U, which sits oddly with me unless they actually scheduled a game for it's 25th anniversary.
I believe it's not outside of the realm of possibility, also.

We only need to look at when work commenced on other major Switch releases to see that, if nothing else, it's certainly not impossible (for example, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle took three years to make, and Splatoon 2 took two years, from the ground up - and, of course, our favourite mystery, Bandai-Namco's "Smash 6" project, had its job-listing posted almost three-and-a-half years ago, before Smash 3DS/Wii U were finished). There's also the fact that a lot of later Wii U output was seemingly unambitious because resources were already being put towards ensuring the success of the Switch from 2014 or so.

I mean, I won't be getting my hopes up for Sakurai's project to turn out to be a Star Fox game or anything, since there's so much we don't know, but it's definitely not impossible given what we know about other factors.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
No problem! :grin:

I read the whole thing, and found it to be pretty insightful. The new information about who the unwitting face-models for the original game were was quite funny. I guess that means that Andross was based on Hiroshi Yamauchi! :laugh:

I believe it's not outside of the realm of possibility, also.

We only need to look at when work commenced on other major Switch releases to see that, if nothing else, it's certainly not impossible (for example, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle took three years to make, and Splatoon 2 took two years, from the ground up - and, of course, our favourite mystery, Bandai-Namco's "Smash 6" project, had its job-listing posted almost three-and-a-half years ago, before Smash 3DS/Wii U were finished). There's also the fact that a lot of later Wii U output was seemingly unambitious because resources were already being put towards ensuring the success of the Switch from 2014 or so.

I mean, I won't be getting my hopes up for Sakurai's project to turn out to be a Star Fox game or anything, since there's so much we don't know, but it's definitely not impossible given what we know about other factors.
Lol guess his boss was a little mean.

It's not like people haven't been tasked with making games for 25th anniversaries, I forget which game it was but I was reading it earlier, I think it was for kirby. And he did want to make a SF game before. But yea I wouldn't go around expecting it either, But it's not like we have to wait forever to find out. Perhaps 2018 will give us answers for both Smash 6 and Star Fox. If I had to guess, Smash hasn't been announced because without Sakurai heading the project perhaps they don't want to show the game well in advance, like Reggie was talking about how the devs like to keep things tight-lipped until it's basically finished like with odyssey. Or maybe they're strategically withholding the announcement for when switch hype starts dying down. In any case I hope Smashified gets their T-shirt designs out soon lol.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If I had to guess, Smash hasn't been announced because without Sakurai heading the project perhaps they don't want to show the game well in advance, like Reggie was talking about how the devs like to keep things tight-lipped until it's basically finished like with odyssey. Or maybe they're strategically withholding the announcement for when switch hype starts dying down.
Yeah, I saw the thing about them keeping things quiet until stuff's pretty much done, too. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

For what it's worth, my guess is that, if they're going to talk about "Smash 6" this year, then it'll be because it's the final game at the Nintendo World Championships 2017 finals on October 7th. :laugh: And the way I see it, that'd be just perfect - they used the 2015 event to reveal a new game, and they had that year's contestants compete at stages made using the then-unreleased Super Mario Maker, too (hell, they've even done this sort of thing in fiction - in the movie The Wizard, it was how they revealed Super Mario Bros. 3 to North American audiences). Moreover, if that were to happen, it'd be about five or six months before the earliest date that the Nintendo Switch Online service would begin, if they're holding it back until the 2018 fiscal-year begins in March - and I'd imagine that Smash Switch would make a pretty good candidate for a flagship, showcase product for the new paid online service. I could easily see the two launching together.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
It's been awhile since I was last here, but anyway...

Whatever happened to that Nintendo Minute that was supposed to happen during Pax West?
Also I went to SFO and noticed a similar thread like this was made but didnt really take off. To be fair I noticed the community isnt very active so it's not the worst thing, plus there's a guy there who's kind of a rockstar if you know what I mean. He doesnt seem to hate someone but he has this very passive tone when it comes to debating, just a bit of a warning.

That and one of those people from Miiverse was there, he ran away the minute I showed up
Last thing, we should try to keep this thread active as much as possible especially since the SNES classic will be out soon.

Warning: Star Fox 2s final version is barely that different from the rom you already know about. I'm not saying this makes the game bad but it does mean the individuals who're getting the thing for the game alone will never hear the end of it

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Last thing, we should try to keep this thread active as much as possible especially since the SNES classic will be out soon.
Well, it's not SNES Mini-related, but it's worth pointing out that there's a rumour doing the rounds right now that there might be a Nintendo Direct on September 13th;

RUMOR - Nintendo Direct coming Sept. 13th, 2017

A lot of people have been wondering when we're going to get the next Nintendo Direct. It's certainly been some time, and if you look back on the schedule of these things, we're a bit overdue for a presentation. Seems like one might be right around the corner, as the original source for the L.A. Noire Switch rumor has come forward to say he's heard rumblings of a Nintendo Direct on Sept. 13th, this Wednesday!
There's no claims about what the alleged broadcast might be about, though.

Warning: Star Fox 2s final version is barely that different from the rom you already know about. I'm not saying this makes the game bad but it does mean the individuals who're getting the thing for the game alone will never hear the end of it
I do hope that folks weren't expecting it to be super-different - it'd be a real shame for people who've experienced what's out there to be disappointed as a result of expecting more from the final game than there really is.

It's always been known roughly how complete the old near-final build that got out there was, so personally I only ever expected the version on the SNES Mini to be a bit more polished and to have the official translation and the final logo from the 1990s in place - and from the footage that's been released, it's clear that that's exactly what we're getting. That's all I ever wanted from it, so I can't wait. :grin: (Of course, for me, Star Fox 2 pushed the console from a "maybe" to a "definite", but it's not the only reason I'm buying it.)

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It's been awhile since I was last here, but anyway...

Whatever happened to that Nintendo Minute that was supposed to happen during Pax West?
Also I went to SFO and noticed a similar thread like this was made but didnt really take off. To be fair I noticed the community isnt very active so it's not the worst thing, plus there's a guy there who's kind of a rockstar if you know what I mean. He doesnt seem to hate someone but he has this very passive tone when it comes to debating, just a bit of a warning.

That and one of those people from Miiverse was there, he ran away the minute I showed up

i'll have both the prototype rom and the finished version then, sounds good also we're like the most active subthread here now so we don't have to worry about that.

Well, it's not SNES Mini-related, but it's worth pointing out that there's a rumour doing the rounds right now that there might be a Nintendo Direct on September 13th;

There's no claims about what the alleged broadcast might be about, though.

I do hope that folks weren't expecting it to be super-different - it'd be a real shame for people who've experienced what's out there to be disappointed as a result of expecting more from the final game than there really is.

It's always been known roughly how complete the old near-final build that got out there was, so personally I only ever expected the version on the SNES Mini to be a bit more polished and to have the official translation and the final logo from the 1990s in place - and from the footage that's been released, it's clear that that's exactly what we're getting. That's all I ever wanted from it, so I can't wait. :grin: (Of course, for me, Star Fox 2 pushed the console from a "maybe" to a "definite", but it's not the only reason I'm buying it.)
It's certainly the reason i'm getting it, I feel obligated to get it. That and i bought into the craze of getting one. Also i've actually seen that rumor, I just hope i have power, Irma will be here tonight and she doesn't seem to take no for an answer. I don't know if it'll have anything i'm interested in but you never know with nintendo.

Top Bottom