• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Guess it's up to the fans to do Ninty's job to put Krystal in games.

Some months ago I tried including Krystal as a playable character in a game called Don't starve, the coding and file management seemed simple with the amount of documentation out there for modders but I stopped as soon when I found out the amount of art stuff that I needed to do basically draw the model and every part when facing each possible direction on to p of that I diden't had any kind of drawing equipment.
I was actually thinking TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr for asistence seeing how good you can adapt Krystal to various kinds of artsyles.

Anyways, right now I have my sight on another game called Crypt of the Necrodancer (Really fun btw) that I want to mod and this one looks way simpler as the artstyle in the game is pixelart which is something I can handle using the many reference sprites devs included and some of the ones fans have done, About the game, it's a Rythm dungeon crawler and you can add your own music so of course some Starfox music will be added.
I might do Fox too for the Co-op mode.

Charcters in game look like this for reference (simple right... I hope last time I said i"It dosen't look so hard" then I took it back when I got to the art part.
View attachment 131577

Hmm I noticed my TF2 spray was not uploaded well so here is it again.
View attachment 131578
Da memez
I'm not totally familiar with this Dont Starve game, so you may have to provide more.

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
Guess it's up to the fans to do Ninty's job to put Krystal in games.

Some months ago I tried including Krystal as a playable character in a game called Don't starve, the coding and file management seemed simple with the amount of documentation out there for modders but I stopped as soon when I found out the amount of art stuff that I needed to do basically draw the model and every part when facing each possible direction on to p of that I diden't had any kind of drawing equipment.
I was actually thinking TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr for asistence seeing how good you can adapt Krystal to various kinds of artsyles.

Anyways, right now I have my sight on another game called Crypt of the Necrodancer (Really fun btw) that I want to mod and this one looks way simpler as the artstyle in the game is pixelart which is something I can handle using the many reference sprites devs included and some of the ones fans have done, About the game, it's a Rythm dungeon crawler and you can add your own music so of course some Starfox music will be added.
I might do Fox too for the Co-op mode.

Charcters in game look like this for reference (simple right... I hope last time I said i"It dosen't look so hard" then I took it back when I got to the art part.
View attachment 131577

Hmm I noticed my TF2 spray was not uploaded well so here is it again.
View attachment 131578
Da memez

When you wanted to discuss creating mods of Krystal in other games but everyone talks about wheather or not that image is accurate or offensive.

Honestly, I diden't meant to make fun of anyone with that image to be honest I just liked how silly Krystal looked and how they stick the british stereotype (being one of the only british accent characters that Nintendo has aside from mai boi :4shulk: and his gang)

If anything is offensive here is this!
upload_2017-7-18_21-31-47.png

What the hell Nintendo!?
You think I'm always wearing a sombrero playing a guitar and wearing a poncho in a desert next to a dia de muertos skull playing his maracas next to a cactus cause again you think I live in a frigging desert?!!?

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

Nah this is pretty cool actually. :colorful:

I'm not totally familiar with this Dont Starve game, so you may have to provide more.
First, awsome drawing, I really feel like giving it some color though.

Second Don't starve is a survival game realesed on multiple consoles and PC, as espected the PC version allows many kinds of different mods... now the game is mostly know for two things it's difficulty because how hard it is to actually beat it and it's artstyle which to give you an idea well lets imagine that Tim burton )uddenly decided to make a videogame, the textures and character all look drawn in this sort of gloomy/creepy looking style and this is basically what I was hoping to ask you, a sketch of how you think Krystal would look on this game, but as I said I quitted because then I realized that was not enough as you have to draw the character from every possible angle, draw expressions, extremities... more then I thought initially.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801057332&searchtext=braixen what little I did I used this Braixen mod that someone created as reference which is certainly the closest I could find.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
When you wanted to discuss creating mods of Krystal in other games but everyone talks about wheather or not that image is accurate or offensive.

Honestly, I diden't meant to make fun of anyone with that image to be honest I just liked how silly Krystal looked and how they stick the british stereotype (being one of the only british accent characters that Nintendo has aside from mai boi :4shulk: and his gang)

If anything is offensive here is this!
View attachment 131628

What the hell Nintendo!?
You think I'm always wearing a sombrero playing a guitar and wearing a poncho in a desert next to a dia de muertos skull playing his maracas next to a cactus cause again you think I live in a frigging desert?!!?

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

Nah this is pretty cool actually. :colorful:

First, awsome drawing, I really feel like giving it some color though.

Second Don't starve is a survival game realesed on multiple consoles and PC, as espected the PC version allows many kinds of different mods... now the game is mostly know for two things it's difficulty because how hard it is to actually beat it and it's artstyle which to give you an idea well lets imagine that Tim burton )uddenly decided to make a videogame, the textures and character all look drawn in this sort of gloomy/creepy looking style and this is basically what I was hoping to ask you, a sketch of how you think Krystal would look on this game, but as I said I quitted because then I realized that was not enough as you have to draw the character from every possible angle, draw expressions, extremities... more then I thought initially.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801057332&searchtext=braixen what little I did I used this Braixen mod that someone created as reference which is certainly the closest I could find.
I honestly dont know the process of creating a mod, i've never done it. If it requires illustrating everything out, with what skill I have with digital art it may not be anything like the braixen one. I basically dont wish to make something that may look dumb for others.

Edit

Here's this, warning it may be cruel in one aspect

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
smashboards seems to be slowing down, e3 not having smash does kind of kill hype a bit.
US SNES classics have started to show up, i missed the walmart one by 2 hours because i playing tf2 rip, Target has said that they'll have pre-orders at a later date, I've got 3 stock trackers open so hopefully they'll add targets listing.
I don't remember if I posted this or not, but for my birthday my mom and my sister got this cake made for me it was very thoughtful.
Krystal cake.jpg

I haven't heard back about the letter yet, but if anyone is interested in images I sent i made an imgur album http://imgur.com/a/59Xjo

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
US SNES classics have started to show up, i missed the walmart one by 2 hours because i playing tf2 rip, Target has said that they'll have pre-orders at a later date, I've got 3 stock trackers open so hopefully they'll add targets listing.
Best of luck securing a pre-order, and don't worry too much about the Walmart ones - a number of people have reported that they've had their orders cancelled, leading to some speculation that Walmart might've accidentally put them up early. People don't seem to be considering the Walmart pre-orders to be super-secure right now, as far as I can tell.

I don't remember if I posted this or not, but for my birthday my mom and my sister got this cake made for me it was very thoughtful.
Firstly, a Happy Belated Birthday! :grin:

Secondly, that looks rather like a giant cookie, and it's awesome! Please tell me that it really is a giant cookie, because that'd be even more awesome. :laugh:

I haven't heard back about the letter yet, but if anyone is interested in images I sent i made an imgur album http://imgur.com/a/59Xjo
That was really fun to look through, and the images make a pretty good case all on their own - good curation for the best impact, there! :grin:

I really love the collection photo, too.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Best of luck securing a pre-order, and don't worry too much about the Walmart ones - a number of people have reported that they've had their orders cancelled, leading to some speculation that Walmart might've accidentally put them up early. People don't seem to be considering the Walmart pre-orders to be super-secure right now, as far as I can tell.

Firstly, a Happy Belated Birthday! :grin:

Secondly, that looks rather like a giant cookie, and it's awesome! Please tell me that it really is a giant cookie, because that'd be even more awesome. :laugh:

That was really fun to look through, and the images make a pretty good case all on their own - good curation for the best impact, there! :grin:

I really love the collection photo, too.
lol thanks, it IS basically a giant cookie, it is infact a cookie cake. I like how it included her staff and the assault jumpsuit, which are a rare combo and a favorite of mine.

Thanks i'm glad to hear it, it being high quality and thoughtful is pretty important, I wasn't sure about the collection picture but I think that personal touch perhaps make it better. Each of the images are printed on their own paper and have my commentary on them for added effect. No pictures of that unfortunately but there's still that.

Yea I've heard those issues myself, I'm still hoping to nab myself one

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I wasn't sure about the collection picture but I think that personal touch perhaps make it better.
It absolutely does. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that one shouldn't be unsure about that in a situation like this - that personal touch is important if you're making a case from a fan's perspective, as it shows something that there's something real and genuine behind the letter.

Honestly, it's my favourite picture of the bunch for that reason - it brings the rest together and shows your purpose in sending what you sent.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It absolutely does. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that one shouldn't be unsure about that in a situation like this - that personal touch is important if you're making a case from a fan's perspective, as it shows something that there's something real and genuine behind the letter.

Honestly, it's my favourite picture of the bunch for that reason - it brings the rest together and shows your purpose in sending what you sent.
huh, i figured it was the least important image, as one fan my opinion wouldn't matter at all and a company would only care if a bunch of people did, either way there's enough personal and popular points to get the message across, now if only anyone actually gets to see it

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
huh, i figured it was the least important image, as one fan my opinion wouldn't matter at all and a company would only care if a bunch of people did, either way there's enough personal and popular points to get the message across, now if only anyone actually gets to see it
It's human-nature, particularly in creative industries, for people to be happy to see others enjoying their work. It doesn't matter whether it's an individual or a group, in that case. :)

Last edited:

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
Speaking of mods for other games. I've been playing a lot of Overwatch lately, and while playing Mercy recently a thought occurred to me. Why hasn't anyone made a custom Krystal skin for Mercy!? I could easily see myself with Krystal's staff as Mercy healing/buffing my teammates in battle. It sounds silly, but just the idea of it in my head looked pretty sick on Mercy.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of mods for other games. I've been playing a lot of Overwatch lately, and while playing Mercy recently a thought occurred to me. Why hasn't anyone made a custom Krystal skin for Mercy!? I could easily see myself with Krystal's staff as Mercy healing/buffing my teammates in battle. It sounds silly, but just the idea of it in my head looked pretty sick on Mercy.
You aren't the only one who's thought of that lol, I don't know how a game like overwatch handles mods though if they work on regular servers or if they ban people for mods

ArcaneKitsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoxMcCloud022390
3DS FC
4699-8504-1203
You aren't the only one who's thought of that lol, I don't know how a game like overwatch handles mods though if they work on regular servers or if they ban people for mods
Mods on Overwatch are taken seriously. They usually ban people for using them, but it's mainly the mods that affect your SR, loot boxes, leveling up, etc. Basically making/using any mods along the lines that I described will get you in trouble with Overwatch Devs. I'm not sure about skin mods for Overwatch though.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
I ran a Krystal mod on wow for a year through legion when that came out and they never banned me. As long as you're not a popular streamer or actively bragging about your modded skins in official channels like battle.net you should be fine.

Edit - and yes the mod does add a tail to the worgen model... lol.

Last edited:

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
smashboards seems to be slowing down, e3 not having smash does kind of kill hype a bit.

Dammn that Starfox adventures poster looks epic as hell! where did you get it? kind of sad that it puts my photo collage that I did with old Nintendo magazines to shame.

:disco: Also Happy (late) birthday, cake looked pretty good too.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Dammn that Starfox adventures poster looks epic as hell! where did you get it? kind of sad that it puts my photo collage that I did with old Nintendo magazines to shame.

:disco: Also Happy (late) birthday, cake looked pretty good too.
I needed a very high quality bad-ass image of krystal facing the right to complete my amiibo shelf for the Starfox section, I searched for a full day. Somehow deviantart delivered. I had it printed out by i think CVS? some of them print photos and they do posters. I don't remember who did it by I think i still have it saved.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice

Great letter and contents!! Really does a great job of validating Krystal's popularity.

Things have been slow lately but I want to ramp up Krystal support more on Youtube by adding more Nintendo videos to our Team Krystal channel's playlist.
TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr The short animations you've been doing lately are really great and should help encourage Krystal support on Youtube, creative things like this are something we should keep up!

I've been talking to Krystal's voice actress lately and she's told me that since there's still been no word of upcoming work to her from Nintendo themselves that it's still very important to keep Krystal support high. She's also said that she really appreciates what we're all doing.
I know there's not much going on for Star Fox right now but let's all try to keep this support alive by leaving Krystal comments for any official Nintendo social media every few days!!
We got this :)

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Great letter and contents!! Really does a great job of validating Krystal's popularity.

Things have been slow lately but I want to ramp up Krystal support more on Youtube by adding more Nintendo videos to our Team Krystal channel's playlist.
TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr The short animations you've been doing lately are really great and should help encourage Krystal support on Youtube, creative things like this are something we should keep up!

I've been talking to Krystal's voice actress lately and she's told me that since there's still been no word of upcoming work to her from Nintendo themselves that it's still very important to keep Krystal support high. She's also said that she really appreciates what we're all doing.
I know there's not much going on for Star Fox right now but let's all try to keep this support alive by leaving Krystal comments for any official Nintendo social media every few days!!
We got this :)
I also saw that you were trying to get her to do voice work relating to krystal earlier. how did that go?

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'd honestly need some ideas on what more to do for animations. To be honest i'm more inclined on it if it sounds funny (and I mean really funny). I do have one idea in mind, but what it references may not do much (if I remember, someone joked on the idea years ago along with Animal Crossing) nor have I started on it.

In other news!

packshot.jpg

Thanks to my state having a rather obscure store that just so happens to sell games, I was able to get my preorder on this thing.
I dont want to get too ahead, but i'm basically saying I have this ordered.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I also saw that you were trying to get her to do voice work relating to krystal earlier. how did that go?
Sadly she's not able to do any voice work for Nintendo characters outside of Nintendo projects. This happens with some voice actors and not others, unfortunately in this case it seems a little more strict.

But she is very appreciative of our support group and what we're trying to do! I'm sure she'll be getting a call from Nintendo about Krystal one of these days, let's keep up the good work! :)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm alive, and so is my support...

...as it ever has been since long before I ever posted in this place, since before Brawl, since I first played Adventures and dreamed what the next Smash could be.

Palutena Krystal 4 Smash!

Nice to see the next gen support thread doing well...

Also, hey you weirdos~

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'd honestly need some ideas on what more to do for animations. To be honest i'm more inclined on it if it sounds funny (and I mean really funny). I do have one idea in mind, but what it references may not do much (if I remember, someone joked on the idea years ago along with Animal Crossing) nor have I started on it.
Space animal crossing, you say? Krystal is obviously the player, moving into the town, but who's Tom Nook?

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
jordansweeto jordansweeto how do you suppose we keep this thread active?

Beside that I noticed someone made what I believe are Pokemon looking sprites of Krystal.
View attachment 131891 View attachment 131892
Quick somebody romhack emerald with this lol

oh btw nintendo announced that there will be snes classic preorders late this month, so keep your eyes peeled for them. Also to keep it active we just need to talk about stuff pertaining to her, each of us making things for her is a productive thing aswell.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
For right now I have one ordered but there's a chance I might get screwed over because when trying to get one reserved for someone else, the guy implied that they may not get enough even for me.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If Krystal, was really that popular of a request in the Smash Ballot, then I can see her making the roster for Smash 5, considering Sakurai considered her in the past, that also helps

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
If Krystal, was really that popular of a request in the Smash Ballot, then I can see her making the roster for Smash 5, considering Sakurai considered her in the past, that also helps
I think the ballot is still pretty interesting, mainly because we have no idea which votes were counted and which weren't. Nintendo currently does care about Starfox which is amusing giving the series poor sales, along with Starfox 2, they're doing deals on command and 64 3ds, and the nintendo twitter mentioned 64s 20th anniversary. she needs relevance and someone who still likes her for her to make it into smash 6 but both those things can happen pretty soon, source gaming is still fairly confident that they're using smash 4&5 as a base for smash 6 like they used brawl for 4&5 which means that we'll get a considerable amount of characters and/or a big single player campaign, considering the requests it's higher likelyhood of focusing on characters. With the philosophy that reggie told us about mario odyssey, where they could have told us earlier but they like to wait until it's perfect and given what we've seen the game is well in progress and has been for a while. This likely means she isn't in the base roster but has a prime chance at post-launch dlc if we get a new SF game for the 25th anniversary, I doubt it'd be far underway but we could still hear a mention about the game during that year, people clamoring for the snes classic along with the internet buzz about SF2 along with miyamoto interested, it's only reasonable to expect one. Lots of characters missed out on their chance for the latest era of smash but now it's time for their chances on the switch, we can only hope that they have a good selection process this go round as opposed to just what the team wants.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I feel her, and any other secondary character in a popular series, really wants to have recent relevance. I know Sakurai has pulled from games that aren't necessarily "new" but usually he's introducing the main character for an unrepped series when he does that. But when he adds secondary characters from already represented series, he usually goes for a character relatively recently represented in their series. That's why Lucina and Robin were more likely to show up in Smash 4's base roster than Lyn or some secondary character from Ike's games. Not to mention the recent FEs are more popular than ever. Granted, Star Fox has a much more stable cast of characters than FE, but that doesn't change the fact that Krystal has gone two releases without making an appearance.

With Star Fox specifically, the most recent release had mixed reviews late in the Wii U's console life and it didn't introduce any new characters of significance. This definitely doesn't help Krystal, but it also doesn't exactly hurt her either in a way. Ideally, she'd have been a main character in the latest successful Star Fox game. She wasn't and it wasn't really. In terms of characters, I think Slippy and Peppy became more popular marginally, but a lot of that charm was hidden from people behind a difficult to learn game that told a very familiar story on a system that was on it's way out. Star Fox Zero didn't really get a chance to shine if it could. People quickly moved on from it. Krystal would've still benefited from being in the game, but I don't know how significantly other than it being a recent reminder that she existed. It's impossible to say, but all other things being equal, Zero isn't exactly shouting at Sakurai to be noticed and referenced in a new or updated Smash release anyways. That said, he took from Other M a bit, but just for a stage and some appearance updates to Samus.

I could mention Star Fox 2 being on the SNES mini - (which is awesome btw) - but it's contribution is really hard to factor. Truth is it could've been a convenient cookie to throw on the SNES mini to make it more desirable; just one step up from a VC release. The only thing it tells us for certain is that it wasn't forgotten and by extension neither is the series. Perhaps we can be less concerned that Star Fox has been relegated to some Nintendo back burner after Zero, occupying the place previously held by Metroid, because of 2's appearance. Also, the revival of it's "universe" as canon in the Star Fox series is interesting to consider, but it's unlikely to suddenly be the vein going forward.

Maybe I'm an optimist a bit, but Star Fox 2 didn't necessarily need to tell me that Star Fox wasn't forgotten. My sense is that Nintendo is really interested in getting a fresh look at all their big IPs on Switch. Nothing is a given but I feel Star Fox is something they definitely want to play with on Switch, even if it's just an HD remake. Actually, I'd go so far as to say that an HD remake might be our most ideal scenario simply because the relevant time frame we have to show Krystal's face again in modern games doesn't feel very big.

Smash feels on the horizon simply because even now I think most of us expect that it's being built heavily on the foundation Smash 4 laid... which I'm fine with, Smash 4 was awesome. There's still a good chance we'll get a "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe"- like port, though with a bit more added features perhaps combining the 3DS and Wii U versions. This concept or any Smash news failed to show up to the last E3, but I think we can agree that we see a new Smash closer on the horizon than we see a new Star Fox. It's not impossible a new Star Fox is being made right now of course (lol, can you imagine if that was Retro's project?), but if there isn't and we have to hope on some exposure before the next Smash, I'd hope for an HD remake to sneak in there.

Not sure which I'd pick. Considering Krystal, Adventures shows off her origins with Star Fox and the good old staff, but I feel her character representation is weaker even if you do get to play with her. Not to mention there's a whole Rare issue there and I'm not sure what the status is on that sort of thing. Assault on the other hand would be missing some context, but it's the game more popular with conventional Star Fox fans. Plus it would probably be less logistically difficult to update to HD and maybe even get some extras thrown in. Other than a fresh new game though, I think for Krystal's sake at least, many of us would like a reworked Adventures featuring Krystal more prominently as a playable character... but that feels even less likely than a straight up new Star Fox game with her in it.

This all said, HD remakes might struggle to have the impact of a new game. Even Zero, with it's mixed reviews, might've been a bigger appearance for Krystal's relevance had she been in it than any HD remake that might come out now... and as I said way earlier, all other things being equal, not sure Zero left a significant impression anyways. Hard to say. It's all speculative. And I can speculate in circles all day~

Phew, anyways... TL;DR: Krystal wants to be relevant before the next Smash. Zero didn't change much. SF2 is a cool kinda relative non factor too. Her best chance is an HD remake probably cuz a whole new Star Fox with her in it is less likely to come out before Smash... assuming what we all mostly assume about the next Smash. But ideally, she wants a new game appearance before Smash if it can be managed.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I feel her, and any other secondary character in a popular series, really wants to have recent relevance. I know Sakurai has pulled from games that aren't necessarily "new" but usually he's introducing the main character for an unrepped series when he does that. But when he adds secondary characters from already represented series, he usually goes for a character relatively recently represented in their series. That's why Lucina and Robin were more likely to show up in Smash 4's base roster than Lyn or some secondary character from Ike's games. Not to mention the recent FEs are more popular than ever. Granted, Star Fox has a much more stable cast of characters than FE, but that doesn't change the fact that Krystal has gone two releases without making an appearance.

With Star Fox specifically, the most recent release had mixed reviews late in the Wii U's console life and it didn't introduce any new characters of significance. This definitely doesn't help Krystal, but it also doesn't exactly hurt her either in a way. Ideally, she'd have been a main character in the latest successful Star Fox game. She wasn't and it wasn't really. In terms of characters, I think Slippy and Peppy became more popular marginally, but a lot of that charm was hidden from people behind a difficult to learn game that told a very familiar story on a system that was on it's way out. Star Fox Zero didn't really get a chance to shine if it could. People quickly moved on from it. Krystal would've still benefited from being in the game, but I don't know how significantly other than it being a recent reminder that she existed. It's impossible to say, but all other things being equal, Zero isn't exactly shouting at Sakurai to be noticed and referenced in a new or updated Smash release anyways. That said, he took from Other M a bit, but just for a stage and some appearance updates to Samus.

I could mention Star Fox 2 being on the SNES mini - (which is awesome btw) - but it's contribution is really hard to factor. Truth is it could've been a convenient cookie to throw on the SNES mini to make it more desirable; just one step up from a VC release. The only thing it tells us for certain is that it wasn't forgotten and by extension neither is the series. Perhaps we can be less concerned that Star Fox has been relegated to some Nintendo back burner after Zero, occupying the place previously held by Metroid, because of 2's appearance. Also, the revival of it's "universe" as canon in the Star Fox series is interesting to consider, but it's unlikely to suddenly be the vein going forward.

Maybe I'm an optimist a bit, but Star Fox 2 didn't necessarily need to tell me that Star Fox wasn't forgotten. My sense is that Nintendo is really interested in getting a fresh look at all their big IPs on Switch. Nothing is a given but I feel Star Fox is something they definitely want to play with on Switch, even if it's just an HD remake. Actually, I'd go so far as to say that an HD remake might be our most ideal scenario simply because the relevant time frame we have to show Krystal's face again in modern games doesn't feel very big.

Smash feels on the horizon simply because even now I think most of us expect that it's being built heavily on the foundation Smash 4 laid... which I'm fine with, Smash 4 was awesome. There's still a good chance we'll get a "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe"- like port, though with a bit more added features perhaps combining the 3DS and Wii U versions. This concept or any Smash news failed to show up to the last E3, but I think we can agree that we see a new Smash closer on the horizon than we see a new Star Fox. It's not impossible a new Star Fox is being made right now of course (lol, can you imagine if that was Retro's project?), but if there isn't and we have to hope on some exposure before the next Smash, I'd hope for an HD remake to sneak in there.

Not sure which I'd pick. Considering Krystal, Adventures shows off her origins with Star Fox and the good old staff, but I feel her character representation is weaker even if you do get to play with her. Not to mention there's a whole Rare issue there and I'm not sure what the status is on that sort of thing. Assault on the other hand would be missing some context, but it's the game more popular with conventional Star Fox fans. Plus it would probably be less logistically difficult to update to HD and maybe even get some extras thrown in. Other than a fresh new game though, I think for Krystal's sake at least, many of us would like a reworked Adventures featuring Krystal more prominently as a playable character... but that feels even less likely than a straight up new Star Fox game with her in it.

This all said, HD remakes might struggle to have the impact of a new game. Even Zero, with it's mixed reviews, might've been a bigger appearance for Krystal's relevance had she been in it than any HD remake that might come out now... and as I said way earlier, all other things being equal, not sure Zero left a significant impression anyways. Hard to say. It's all speculative. And I can speculate in circles all day~

Phew, anyways... TL;DR: Krystal wants to be relevant before the next Smash. Zero didn't change much. SF2 is a cool kinda relative non factor too. Her best chance is an HD remake probably cuz a whole new Star Fox with her in it is less likely to come out before Smash... assuming what we all mostly assume about the next Smash. But ideally, she wants a new game appearance before Smash if it can be managed.
good grief, after reading that I feel like i'd need to give a grade on that lol.

The internet hasn't forgotten Krystal, i still see art getting made and shared about her even without looking for it. Nintendo is very spontaneous with it's ideas, things just happen. If Starfox 2 goes over well and miyu and fay are popular they could throw them in the next game however they want. If you follow how Zero itself was made you can see it proven. nobody really wants anymore remakes, or atleast I can't imagine anyone wanting any, If anything at all, Adventures should have been made completely over, but that's not something i'd count on. Either way if gamecube virtual console happens it's a boon for Krystal, as we're bound to get atleast one starfox down it's road. We need a new game and plot, starfox is like nearly 50% remakes at this point. Anymore would likely backfire, even for a different game.

Given we have very little to go off of for a timeframe and i'd personally say the roster has been chosen now for about a year or so it's hard to say. This smash will likely have a longer DLC lifetime considering how wii u was getting shoved out the door and them wanting to implement the nintendo switch to their theme park paired with how the internet cares more about smash than pretty much anything else as far as the nintendo scene goes. And optimistcally the ballot will be taken into consideration when comes to DLC as it makes more sense to use the popular results as standalone characters as people will buy them on their own, depending on how popular she really is that could be enough of a chance on it's own. Considering how Heroes did it, IE the most popular, Ike, wasn't even in the base game until later on a well-timed summon banner. I don't see a reason why a similiarly-driven game, it's characters mattering the most, couldn't follow that design philosophy. As far as the general inclusion methods from a game, If Miyamoto pushed for her she'd be in the game; I hope in some fashion the letter is seen by him.
If someone has to go pick her, I just don't think it's likely, Starfox has always been an afterthought when it comes to roster additions, barring fox. The best shot is someone openly supporting her, whether it's us or a big-time dev or in some fantasy both.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
good grief, after reading that I feel like i'd need to give a grade on that lol.
Hope I got an A.

The internet hasn't forgotten Krystal, i still see art getting made and shared about her even without looking for it. Nintendo is very spontaneous with it's ideas, things just happen. If Starfox 2 goes over well and miyu and fay are popular they could throw them in the next game however they want. If you follow how Zero itself was made you can see it proven. nobody really wants anymore remakes, or atleast I can't imagine anyone wanting any, If anything at all, Adventures should have been made completely over, but that's not something i'd count on. Either way if gamecube virtual console happens it's a boon for Krystal, as we're bound to get atleast one starfox down it's road. We need a new game and plot, starfox is like nearly 50% remakes at this point. Anymore would likely backfire, even for a different game.

Given we have very little to go off of for a timeframe and i'd personally say the roster has been chosen now for about a year or so it's hard to say. This smash will likely have a longer DLC lifetime considering how wii u was getting shoved out the door and them wanting to implement the nintendo switch to their theme park paired with how the internet cares more about smash than pretty much anything else as far as the nintendo scene goes. And optimistcally the ballot will be taken into consideration when comes to DLC as it makes more sense to use the popular results as standalone characters as people will buy them on their own, depending on how popular she really is that could be enough of a chance on it's own. Considering how Heroes did it, IE the most popular, Ike, wasn't even in the base game until later on a well-timed summon banner. I don't see a reason why a similiarly-driven game, it's characters mattering the most, couldn't follow that design philosophy. As far as the general inclusion methods from a game, If Miyamoto pushed for her she'd be in the game; I hope in some fashion the letter is seen by him.
If someone has to go pick her, I just don't think it's likely, Starfox has always been an afterthought when it comes to roster additions, barring fox. The best shot is someone openly supporting her, whether it's us or a big-time dev or in some fantasy both.
Yeah, Krystal still has a strong fanbase, a strong following. Not all of it is exactly Star Fox related and can be little hard to take seriously, but I'll take support in whatever form. Fact being, I think the community sees she has potential if Nintendo can realize it, and I'm speaking just in her own series. Can be hard to judge the popularity of something on the internet too since I think we do have a bit of an echo chamber. But part of that is because we're pretty vocal and talented as a fanbase honestly. Even just among our group of regulars from the Smash 4 speculation thread we had a good percentage that could create pretty good fan art or find other creative ways to express their support of the character, TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr being the most prolific regular among us for instance. That said, I too noticed that Krystal appeared to experience a bit of a resurgence in popularity after Zero. Mostly just people expressing that they missed that timeline and wanted more new stuff. Perhaps people always felt that way but didn't have a reason to say so, but Zero did bring that out in more visible ways.

I don't have the quantitative record of how we did in the ballot, but I can say we really went out there and our presence felt strong. All indications I've seen have me believing we're at least still Top 10 material among Nintendo properties, especially minus much requested veterans. And like you implied, that record of support doesn't just have to only influence Smash Bros, but the Star Fox franchise.

Truth is though, in terms of Krystal in Smash, nothing would do more for her exposure or make a better argument than an official appearance in an official Nintendo game, remake or otherwise. I know we as a community do a lot, but we can't reach everyone or have an impact like Nintendo can obviously. We argue on speculation and hope for the character. Talk about what could be done with her characterization in her own series, how she'd fit into Smash too. But only Nintendo can bring these ideas to reality. Granted, we can only control what we can contribute... but for the reality of Krystal's chances in Smash, Nintendo anything would be the biggest boon for us no doubt.

Of course, our support for her goes beyond just Smash and all that visible support speaks to the character as a whole and not just as a part of something else. The kinda not such a surprising twist is that Krystal support making Krystal in Star Fox a reality first is more likely and would be an example of us indirectly helping Nintendo give us the biggest case for Krystal in Smash too.

But yeah, as I said, we can only really worry about what's possible for us to contribute and hope for the best regarding that which we can't. We're the foundation for creation. Our desires analogous to an actual foundation waiting for Nintendo to build a full structure from.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Hope I got an A.

Yeah, Krystal still has a strong fanbase, a strong following. Not all of it is exactly Star Fox related and can be little hard to take seriously, but I'll take support in whatever form. Fact being, I think the community sees she has potential if Nintendo can realize it, and I'm speaking just in her own series. Can be hard to judge the popularity of something on the internet too since I think we do have a bit of an echo chamber. But part of that is because we're pretty vocal and talented as a fanbase honestly. Even just among our group of regulars from the Smash 4 speculation thread we had a good percentage that could create pretty good fan art or find other creative ways to express their support of the character, TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr being the most prolific regular among us for instance. That said, I too noticed that Krystal appeared to experience a bit of a resurgence in popularity after Zero. Mostly just people expressing that they missed that timeline and wanted more new stuff. Perhaps people always felt that way but didn't have a reason to say so, but Zero did bring that out in more visible ways.

I don't have the quantitative record of how we did in the ballot, but I can say we really went out there and our presence felt strong. All indications I've seen have me believing we're at least still Top 10 material among Nintendo properties, especially minus much requested veterans. And like you implied, that record of support doesn't just have to only influence Smash Bros, but the Star Fox franchise.

Truth is though, in terms of Krystal in Smash, nothing would do more for her exposure or make a better argument than an official appearance in an official Nintendo game, remake or otherwise. I know we as a community do a lot, but we can't reach everyone or have an impact like Nintendo can obviously. We argue on speculation and hope for the character. Talk about what could be done with her characterization in her own series, how she'd fit into Smash too. But only Nintendo can bring these ideas to reality. Granted, we can only control what we can contribute... but for the reality of Krystal's chances in Smash, Nintendo anything would be the biggest boon for us no doubt.

Of course, our support for her goes beyond just Smash and all that visible support speaks to the character as a whole and not just as a part of something else. The kinda not such a surprising twist is that Krystal support making Krystal in Star Fox a reality first is more likely and would be an example of us indirectly helping Nintendo give us the biggest case for Krystal in Smash too.

But yeah, as I said, we can only really worry about what's possible for us to contribute and hope for the best regarding that which we can't. We're the foundation for creation. Our desires analogous to an actual foundation waiting for Nintendo to build a full structure from.
Yea I think most of us would give you an A

The sweeto tweet, among the many others certainly showed NoA of the interest of krystal, as reggie mentioned twitter explicitly as an information source. the only thing that concerns me is her support isn't as vocal on the main sites comparitively speaking to the other smash requests, which is rather amusing as her popularity is as good if not more than others, as if people deliberately avoid her, which is completely possible lol.

While we definitely should mention her for Star Fox, i'm not concerned about her inclusion in Star Fox, the last two games didn't realistically have a chance of her being put in as they are a remaster and remake (re-imagining is just a buzzword) of a game she didn't appear in. If Miyamoto would make a game and not a gimmick playground, Krystal will be in it, hell even if it is one he could still make a sequel and put her in it, he can't realistically expect people to go for n64 remake again. People are coming around to the ideas proposed in Assault, aswell as Krystal as she was a figurehead for their hatred because of the failure of Zero along with the curiously poor sales of 64 3DS. We should remember that it was miyamoto's idea after all to put her in the starfox world, we've just got to show how important she is.

As far as smash itself, the team is well-aware of what their character choices can do for franchises, aswell as the character directly as Fire Emblem's western success shows, after factoring out false votes, Krystal probably makes about top 20, top 10 after factoring in "good" choices. Great thing about krystal is her kit makes itself, and there's incredible consistency with how people make her kits, which means that she's got a go-to option, compared to other more vague kit concepts of other characters she has this advantage of something that clearly defines how she'd work and would feel like her. There's several images made for her for smash, i don't have anyway of knowing how that goes for other characters, but it feels rather strong there.

If only we could get the metroid people to come and scream starfox for us now lol

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts pretty much echo the points talked about in these recent posts. Great discussion, it really does remind us that our voices are more important than a lot would think!

In saying that I have been making an effort to tweet Nintendo my Star Fox (specifically Assault) and Krystal support weekly: https://twitter.com/JordanSweeto/status/893697586795651072
It's not too much and not too little in my opinion, if we can all try to do this weekly on Twitter or other official Nintendo social medias I'm sure this is a very proactive step to take for our support, particularly when there's not much Star Fox related content to comment on lately. General weekly support like this is a must I feel.

As for keeping this thread active, I have stumbled upon a very interesting/good quality Star Fox Adventures webcomic that has been pretty un-noticed. The artist seems to be doing away with the "Krystal trapped in a crystal" plot and making it more like the game's original concept of having Fox and Krystal playable throughout the adventure!
I've asked for permission to share his comic and he's said yes, if you guys are interested I could start posting new pages from the comic in this thread? They usually come out once a week and could generate some good discussion about Krystal :)

Let me know and once again keep up the great support team!

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I've asked for permission to share his comic and he's said yes, if you guys are interested I could start posting new pages from the comic in this thread? They usually come out once a week and could generate some good discussion about Krystal :)
This sounds like it would be a fun regular feature.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
My thoughts pretty much echo the points talked about in these recent posts. Great discussion, it really does remind us that our voices are more important than a lot would think!

In saying that I have been making an effort to tweet Nintendo my Star Fox (specifically Assault) and Krystal support weekly: https://twitter.com/JordanSweeto/status/893697586795651072
It's not too much and not too little in my opinion, if we can all try to do this weekly on Twitter or other official Nintendo social medias I'm sure this is a very proactive step to take for our support, particularly when there's not much Star Fox related content to comment on lately. General weekly support like this is a must I feel.

As for keeping this thread active, I have stumbled upon a very interesting/good quality Star Fox Adventures webcomic that has been pretty un-noticed. The artist seems to be doing away with the "Krystal trapped in a crystal" plot and making it more like the game's original concept of having Fox and Krystal playable throughout the adventure!

Let me know and once again keep up the great support team!
I actually asked the creator of that comic if she planned to do away with the Krystal trapped in the crystal deal and she told me that it's a pivotal part in the story and without it andross can't be there in the end. She may go the route where she gets out earlier? But I only asked if she is trapped in the crystal the whole time and didn't want to make her divulge too much of her story. Just wanted to know one thing is all. :p

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Yea I think most of us would give you an A

The sweeto tweet, among the many others certainly showed NoA of the interest of krystal, as reggie mentioned twitter explicitly as an information source. the only thing that concerns me is her support isn't as vocal on the main sites comparitively speaking to the other smash requests, which is rather amusing as her popularity is as good if not more than others, as if people deliberately avoid her, which is completely possible lol.

While we definitely should mention her for Star Fox, i'm not concerned about her inclusion in Star Fox, the last two games didn't realistically have a chance of her being put in as they are a remaster and remake (re-imagining is just a buzzword) of a game she didn't appear in. If Miyamoto would make a game and not a gimmick playground, Krystal will be in it, hell even if it is one he could still make a sequel and put her in it, he can't realistically expect people to go for n64 remake again. People are coming around to the ideas proposed in Assault, aswell as Krystal as she was a figurehead for their hatred because of the failure of Zero along with the curiously poor sales of 64 3DS. We should remember that it was miyamoto's idea after all to put her in the starfox world, we've just got to show how important she is.

As far as smash itself, the team is well-aware of what their character choices can do for franchises, aswell as the character directly as Fire Emblem's western success shows, after factoring out false votes, Krystal probably makes about top 20, top 10 after factoring in "good" choices. Great thing about krystal is her kit makes itself, and there's incredible consistency with how people make her kits, which means that she's got a go-to option, compared to other more vague kit concepts of other characters she has this advantage of something that clearly defines how she'd work and would feel like her. There's several images made for her for smash, i don't have anyway of knowing how that goes for other characters, but it feels rather strong there.

If only we could get the metroid people to come and scream starfox for us now lol
Main sites? One thing I've noticed is that Krystal fans and especially Star Fox fans come in all sorts of flavors. I think that causes us to be more spread out and perhaps less united in a literal group sense.

While your point is true and Krystal wasn't going to be in those games given their premise, they didn't necessarily have to have that premise and by extension not have Krystal. But, I'm also not implying that Nintendo is trying to get rid of Krystal or anything only that they decided to go in the Lylat Wars direction twice and as a result Krystal hasn't made an appearance in a while officially. Other than missing her or being a fan anyways, most people are probably starting to forget about her or aren't aware of her if they haven't been following Nintendo for more than a decade. Yes, I think she'll come back. I don't buy into the hard reboot theory naturally, though some that aren't exactly Krystal fans might imply it. Truth is I think we're at a point where most people want to go back to what had been established with Assault rather than revisit Lylat Wars again... as you essentially already said in an earlier post. As for Miyamoto, I'm not gonna try and guess what he'll do next. I'm not necessarily gonna believe he's definitely interested in having her in the next game. He's more interested in gameplay and concepts. The cast surrounding the game is probably secondary to him based on how he operates. Basically, I don't think he thinks he needs Krystal in the next game though common sense might suggest that he'll at least steer away from Lylat Wars for whatever's next.

Yeah, pretty much anyone that supports Krystal in smash wants to see a staff moveset. She's a cool character in her own right, but as Smash fans we wouldn't necessarily want to see that potential wasted. I doubt it would anyways. Can't say for sure of course, but my impression is she'll be included as a clearly unique character or not at all. We may not have how she'd use her staff mapped out to exacting precision, but I think that also speaks towards her potential... she can do a bunch of different things within the framework of a staff user all while still being true to it's origins and her character.

And yeah, in the DLC ballot my guess is she's definitely top 20. Possibly top 10 or close. Of the Nintendo first party newcomers, she's close to top 5. Maybe not now what with ARMS being a thing, but as far as the ballot went I think she was top 5. I mean, of the popular first party Nintendo newcomers back when the ballot was made we're looking at - Inkling, K Rool, Dixie, Isaac... then it's basically between her, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario... and it just gets more distant out to Daisy, Waluigi, Impa, etc. If a poll was taken today though, she might drop a couple spots to an ARMS character, a new FE character, maybe even a BotW specific character or possibly even a Persona or Xenoblade rep from just outside the core Nintendo franchises. Hard to say. Even with polling back in the hay day of the DLC push, nothing was truly exact. But if we're considering base roster expansions, the past has taught us that there's plenty of room. I mean, we can only expect Smash's roster to get so big, but if there's any sort of take away from how it's always been then there will be plenty of places.

Last edited:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I actually asked the creator of that comic if she planned to do away with the Krystal trapped in the crystal deal and she told me that it's a pivotal part in the story and without it andross can't be there in the end. She may go the route where she gets out earlier? But I only asked if she is trapped in the crystal the whole time and didn't want to make her divulge too much of her story. Just wanted to know one thing is all. :p
Must be a different comic to the one I'm referring to! This comic is by Blackbear972 on DeviantART.

Here's the first couple pages:

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Must be a different comic to the one I'm referring to! This comic is by Blackbear972 on DeviantART.

Here's the first couple pages:
Oh cool yeah that is a different one. I thought you were talking about another comic that comes out on a weekly basis. Haha. I'm glad I'm wrong here then and this one will be fun to keep up with as well!

Top Bottom