• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Must be a different comic to the one I'm referring to! This comic is by Blackbear972 on DeviantART.

Here's the first couple pages:
Gotta admit, I'm kinda glad they didn't try to awkwardly work in the Saurian tongue. A lot more pleasant and uncluttered to read a straight translation.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Gotta admit, I'm kinda glad they didn't try to awkwardly work in the Saurian tongue. A lot more pleasant and uncluttered to read a straight translation.
I also loved how they had the translation guide to Dino language in the game manual for adventures as well so we could follow along! Lol

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Main sites? One thing I've noticed is that Krystal fans and especially Star Fox fans come in all sorts of flavors. I think that causes us to be more spread out and perhaps less united in a literal group sense.

While your point is true and Krystal wasn't going to be in those games given their premise, they didn't necessarily have to have that premise and by extension not have Krystal. But, I'm also not implying that Nintendo is trying to get rid of Krystal or anything only that they decided to go in the Lylat Wars direction twice and as a result Krystal hasn't made an appearance in a while officially. Other than missing her or being a fan anyways, most people are probably starting to forget about her or aren't aware of her if they haven't been following Nintendo for more than a decade. Yes, I think she'll come back. I don't buy into the hard reboot theory naturally, though some that aren't exactly Krystal fans might imply it. Truth is I think we're at a point where most people want to go back to what had been established with Assault rather than revisit Lylat Wars again... as you essentially already said in an earlier post. As for Miyamoto, I'm not gonna try and guess what he'll do next. I'm not necessarily gonna believe he's definitely interested in having her in the next game. He's more interested in gameplay and concepts. The cast surrounding the game is probably secondary to him based on how he operates. Basically, I don't think he thinks he needs Krystal in the next game though common sense might suggest that he'll at least steer away from Lylat Wars for whatever's next.

Yeah, pretty much anyone that supports Krystal in smash wants to see a staff moveset. She's a cool character in her own right, but as Smash fans we wouldn't necessarily want to see that potential wasted. I doubt it would anyways. Can't say for sure of course, but my impression is she'll be included as a clearly unique character or not at all. We may not have how she'd use her staff mapped out to exacting precision, but I think that also speaks towards her potential... she can do a bunch of different things within the framework of a staff user all while still being true to it's origins and her character.

And yeah, in the DLC ballot my guess is she's definitely top 20. Possibly top 10 or close. Of the Nintendo first party newcomers, she's close to top 5. Maybe not now what with ARMS being a thing, but as far as the ballot went I think she was top 5. I mean, of the popular first party Nintendo newcomers back when the ballot was made we're looking at - Inkling, K Rool, Dixie, Isaac... then it's basically between her, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario... and it just gets more distant out to Daisy, Waluigi, Impa, etc. If a poll was taken today though, she might drop a couple spots to an ARMS character, a new FE character, maybe even a BotW specific character or possibly even a Persona or Xenoblade rep from just outside the core Nintendo franchises. Hard to say. Even with polling back in the hay day of the DLC push, nothing was truly exact. But if we're considering base roster expansions, the past has taught us that there's plenty of room. I mean, we can only expect Smash's roster to get so big, but if there's any sort of take away from how it's always been then there will be plenty of places.
Miyamoto seems to have a softspot for recreating the lylat wars, I don't really get it. Yea he's more mechanic driven than character driven for the most part, it's more of she's apart of games past the Lylat wars and if he moves away from it finally she'll just be there because she's a starfox character. Given how the characters act throughout the games it makes me think it's more up to the team how they're handled as it can be inconsistent. Somebody grab hashimoto lol. Miyamoto says Zero was underrated so I doubt he's ready to ax platinum games, but that's just speculatory.

As for main sites, i'm talking about general usage social media sites, like facebook, twitter and reddit. You're more often going to see the common picks with the exception of krystal. Sweeto's suggestion of sending tweets to the nintendo accounts is something we should definitely do, there's little point in talking about her out of the range of nintendo, though somehow I think they're aware of smashboards.

I have a feeling the switch smash is going to be incredible, yea you can't really get mugen sized, but basing the game on the existing smash makes it much easier to expand the roster as you don't have to recreate the existing characters. And the way they're handling it, focusing on the competitive scene, it'd be ridiculous for them not to peak with a premium smash game, though that's easier said than done.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Miyamoto seems to have a softspot for recreating the lylat wars, I don't really get it. Yea he's more mechanic driven than character driven for the most part, it's more of she's apart of games past the Lylat wars and if he moves away from it finally she'll just be there because she's a starfox character. Given how the characters act throughout the games it makes me think it's more up to the team how they're handled as it can be inconsistent. Somebody grab hashimoto lol. Miyamoto says Zero was underrated so I doubt he's ready to ax platinum games, but that's just speculatory.

As for main sites, i'm talking about general usage social media sites, like facebook, twitter and reddit. You're more often going to see the common picks with the exception of krystal. Sweeto's suggestion of sending tweets to the nintendo accounts is something we should definitely do, there's little point in talking about her out of the range of nintendo, though somehow I think they're aware of smashboards.

I have a feeling the switch smash is going to be incredible, yea you can't really get mugen sized, but basing the game on the existing smash makes it much easier to expand the roster as you don't have to recreate the existing characters. And the way they're handling it, focusing on the competitive scene, it'd be ridiculous for them not to peak with a premium smash game, though that's easier said than done.
Yeah, in terms of Miyomoto's involvement and Krystal in the next Star Fox... that's pretty much how I'd imagine it would happen. Also I think it was probably underrated too. They probably put too much effort in the controls working to the exclusion of some other things, which was something I feared when they were still teasing it. The controls weren't bad though, just so different that people had a hard time adjusting. They offered a lot control, but maybe too much in a way. Was something of a multitasking issue. Plus add to that, Zero showed up after delays and ended up coming out in the last year of the consoles life, and yeah... it kinda had a few things that held it back. Would be cool if Platinum still has the chance to do another.... I just don't know if they'll bother with those controls again. I mean, I highly doubt it since Zero's controls relied so heavily on the Gamepad. We can hope we get more normal controls since that was a big factor in it's lack of popularity.

Well, I can say for myself that I don't have a Twitter or Reddit account and don't plan to have one. And my facebook account has been dormant for years now. Basically only look at it via email anymore. I highly doubt I'm the typical example of "why", but I don't know. Just thought I'd throw out my own explanation as reference.

About Smash, I'm curious how many of their DLC and third party characters they can bring back. At this point Sonic is just about a Nintendo property, lol. But characters like Ryu and Cloud, Cloud especially, I wonder about. Depends on the extent of permission they got to use the character. I'm kinda pretty confident about Bayo... I think? I mean, she was apparently the ballot winner and similarly I think she pretty connected to Nintendo at this point. She's no given either though, I just think she's more like to return when compared to Ryu and Cloud. My impression being Cloud might be the hardest to make come back. Not like Snake's unlikely status which was the perfect storm of entry barriers though. That was just a lot of bad luck too.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Depends on the extent of permission they got to use the character.
Nintendo aren't granted permission, as such - they'll be paying a licensing fee to their rights-holders in order to use these characters. ;) In this case, it would depend on the terms of the contracts, and whether or not they covered multiple games.

I'm kinda pretty confident about Bayo... I think? I mean, she was apparently the ballot winner and similarly I think she pretty connected to Nintendo at this point. She's no given either though, I just think she's more like to return when compared to Ryu and Cloud.
A Source Gaming interview with Platinum's Atsushi Inaba features a comment about this (interviewer text is in bold, as per the original article);

What are your thoughts on Bayonetta making it into Super Smash Bros.? How involved were you in that process?

I didn’t have that discussion with Sakurai myself. I think Sakurai most likely puts characters in that he really likes, so he must have really liked Bayonetta. I was really happy to see Bayonetta in Smash. I hope she’s in future Smash games as well.

And he’s written good things about Bayonetta in his Famitsu column as well.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Nintendo aren't granted permission, as such - they'll be paying a licensing fee to their rights-holders in order to use these characters. ;) In this case, it would depend on the terms of the contracts, and whether or not they covered multiple games.

A Source Gaming interview with Platinum's Atsushi Inaba features a comment about this (interviewer text is in bold, as per the original article);
Thanks for the sources and stuff there.

By permission I just meant, I don't know to what extent the right to use Bayo was given. Like, they're paying a license fee but does that cover just Smash 4 or did they pay to use her in future installments too? So yeah, that would depend on the contracts parameters. I don't know how it works exactly, but my guess is that they only payed for her appearance in Smash 4 and would have to reup that agreement to put her in the next game. That said, as things have appeared to be between Nintendo and Platinum/Sega regarding Bayo, especially reinforced by your interview quote just now... seems there's not much to make reupping that agreement difficult. They may just do it relatively easily if they have to to get Bayo back in another Smash.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
No problem! :grin:

By permission I just meant, I don't know to what extent the right to use Bayo was given. Like, they're paying a license fee but does that cover just Smash 4 or did they pay to use her in future installments too? So yeah, that would depend on the contracts parameters. I don't know how it works exactly, but my guess is that they only payed for her appearance in Smash 4 and would have to reup that agreement to put her in the next game.
I think that depends on the outcome of the "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is officially "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U is officially "Smash 5") project, which we know from Bandai-Namco's job-listing for it commenced more than three years ago (around the same time that other major Switch releases such as Super Mario Odyssey and Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle began development, and a year before Splatoon 2, which was made from the ground up in just two years, with what appears to be only a small number of art-assets re-used), while Smash 3DS/Wii U weren't yet even finished themselves. It's possible that any contracts could have covered this as well, since it was at one point seemingly concurrently in production with Smash 3DS/Wii U. (As an aside, the 2015 date that "Smash 6" was originally projected for is curious, because it both lines up with timeframe claims made in the Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumours, which were also seemingly implied by a rumour/leak about Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle at one point, too.)

The job-listing appears to imply re-use of the Smash 3DS/Wii U engine (and I've held since around the time I got to Smashboards, long before we knew what the Switch was, that the whole thing felt like an engine-test for a future hybrid machine, since the market itself made it obvious that the "NX" would be one - it's designed to scale across wildly-different architectures and system-capabilities, after all), but considering that we know from numerous developer accounts that it takes only hours to days to get something ported to the Switch, we can clearly see that it doesn't take three years and three months to produce a no-frills port on the system* (though, considering the sources of the rumours about this, it was never a plausible claim to begin with - the same people brought us the likes of Splatoon The Enhanced Port Definitely Not A Sequel As Switch Launch-day Pack-in, which never existed, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Has New Cups And Multiple Separate People Told Us So, which never happened, and BotW Delayed Until Late Summer With New 3D Mario As Launch Title, which also didn't happen).

*People often point to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe here, but I've never believed that the original Mario Kart 8 was fully meant for the Wii U. It was released blatantly unfinished and full of bugs, as well as missing features, and featuring misfeatures that made no sense for the configuration of the Wii U, such as the vertical split-screen in multi-player mode, which made no sense on the Wii U, but which makes perfect sense on the Switch considering where its stock controllers are.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

By permission I just meant, I don't know to what extent the right to use Bayo was given. Like, they're paying a license fee but does that cover just Smash 4 or did they pay to use her in future installments too? So yeah, that would depend on the contracts parameters. I don't know how it works exactly, but my guess is that they only payed for her appearance in Smash 4 and would have to reup that agreement to put her in the next game. That said, as things have appeared to be between Nintendo and Platinum/Sega regarding Bayo, especially reinforced by your interview quote just now... seems there's not much to make reupping that agreement difficult. They may just do it relatively easily if they have to to get Bayo back in another Smash.
Bayo getting into smash still smells a bit fishy to me with how convenient it was, but yea I would say she was one of the most certain 3rd parties to return, they'll try for everyone but plat and nintendo are buddies, square is kind of a recent thing so it depends on how long they want to work together, it's hard to imagine with the success of the switch people would say no to their IP in smash.

More pages from Blackbear972 :)

She looks so vicious in these comics, it's pretty hilarious. Imagine the difference in peoples stigma of her if she had a track record of beating the **** out of everything in her way. It's already showing some interesting deviances from the poorly constructed plot of adventures so i'm interested in seeing where they take it. Speaking of adventures i'm playing through it again and i noticed something that's probably already be discussed to death, but it's curious how well the staff interacts with Sauria, and the krazoa in particular, In metroid they did this by having the morph ball act in very impractical ways with the environment, but an excuse that can be used is there's often chozo influence in the areas, meaning that for the same excuse the design behind the staff and the krazoa elements has to be by makers that know of each other's designs or are infact the same. It stood out because of the krazoa fire interacting interestingly with the staff's fire blaster. Sure it's likely just mechanic building off abilities from the staff but that doesn't stop the lorecrafting ahead of that result.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Bayo getting into smash still smells a bit fishy to me with how convenient it was, but yea I would say she was one of the most certain 3rd parties to return, they'll try for everyone but plat and nintendo are buddies, square is kind of a recent thing so it depends on how long they want to work together, it's hard to imagine with the success of the switch people would say no to their IP in smash.

Imagine the difference in peoples stigma of her if she had a track record of beating the **** out of everything in her way. .
If only she was able to join Fox around in Adventures. Would make for a great re-imagining unlike Star Fox: Zero.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
More pages from Blackbear972 :)

These are awesome! Keep em coming as they release! :)

She looks so vicious in these comics, it's pretty hilarious. Imagine the difference in peoples stigma of her if she had a track record of beating the **** out of everything in her way. It's already showing some interesting deviances from the poorly constructed plot of adventures so i'm interested in seeing where they take it. Speaking of adventures i'm playing through it again and i noticed something that's probably already be discussed to death, but it's curious how well the staff interacts with Sauria, and the krazoa in particular, In metroid they did this by having the morph ball act in very impractical ways with the environment, but an excuse that can be used is there's often chozo influence in the areas, meaning that for the same excuse the design behind the staff and the krazoa elements has to be by makers that know of each other's designs or are infact the same. It stood out because of the krazoa fire interacting interestingly with the staff's fire blaster. Sure it's likely just mechanic building off abilities from the staff but that doesn't stop the lorecrafting ahead of that result.
If only she was able to join Fox around in Adventures. Would make for a great re-imagining unlike Star Fox: Zero.
You guys are making some interesting points for discussion! I would like to take part! :)

I have actually been working on a game concept detailing an adventure game involving both Krystal and Fox having two separate stories that would eventually merge together... or it would possibly be a coop game from the get-go. Either way it's still very much a work in progress but I plan to post it here at some point for all you guys. Playstyle being similar to DMC/castlevania(the lords of shadow installments were actually quite fun despite not being amazingly received, I Liked them!)

The game would take place on Cerinia/Sauria and basically be the story we should have had in the long run. And the premise would be that the Krazoa travel to other planets using dark matter technology and went to more planets than Sauria/Cerinia. Krystal's staff is a relic handed down on Cerinia from when the Krazoa visited them long ago. Also, they use prisons to hold powerful threats to the galaxy on multiple worlds(probably connected to how the Krazoa have trials on the worlds that they visited). Basically the Krazoa were really good at manipulating dark matter and using it to do pretty much anything. I just think a story telling us more about the Krazoa and what their legacy really was before they "disappeared" would make for excellent story expanding material. Either way, it's very "work-in-progress" material. it's just not ready yet!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Smashified showed up to supersmashcon with some prints of characters
Smashified prints 1.jpg

Smashified prints.png

Maybe they'll put them up along with the supposed shirts for digital purchase.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Looks like Smashified showed up to supersmashcon with some prints of characters

Maybe they'll put them up along with the supposed shirts for digital purchase.
Oh geez, I must get at least two of those as I may use one of them to blatantly shill her at cons provided i'm allowed to have a sign.

In summer of 2015 during the ballot, I kinda walked around a couple cons with a Krystal support sign, believe it or not I did get a number of supporters but who knows. Only two or three gave me flak over it

Also cause i mentioned this in a thread on a rather dead forum about how to fix Adventures, what do you people think?

How to Fix Star Fox Adventures? Gee that's actually pretty easy, the issue is just the matter of getting the right team involved since Miyamoto and his team arent capable, etc
  • Make the manga book that was exclusive to Japans copies of Adventures available as to not confuse people to why Falco isnt present. There may be a translation but an official release would help
  • Follow the ending to this by making the mission of Adventures entirely freelance, Pepper is not involved
  • Instead of Fox being the only one to land, everyone else does
  • They all get ambushed, Fox and everyone are completely separated upon capture
  • Fox gets rescued by Krystal, from there they both work together to;
  • Stop General Scales
  • Return the spirits, in this case the planet isnt breaking apart but they still play a role
  • Save Slippy, ROB, and Peppy. Also liberate the great fox
  • Find something of value to be able to repair the great fox
  • Fox and Krystal have their own abilities that play a role for each area, think Portrait of Ruin if it emphasized on solving things with their abilities
  • Fox and Krystals relationship actually builds up as things go along, with some info of the two you probably would like to hear such as her origins or Fox telling her about his father.
  • Falco returns after a certain point, he doesnt get captured but he wonders how everyone got into this situation. He could be another character to use.
  • The final boss as it was supposed to be is Fox and Krystal taking Scales down, though should it be mandatory the last part will occur
  • Krystal joins Fox in the end, the buildup being much more smoother than it was in the original
  • Andross can still be here, but his revival should be executed differently. If he was resurrected in the manga then something like black magic could be done here. Anyway if they had to put him in, then at least build up to it. An example would be is to have a witch who learns of him when examining Fox when he gets captured again. At that point when Scales dies, she steps in as essentially the real final boss who then uses him after sacrificing herself upon defeat. Take a guess what game did this sort of thing

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Oh geez, I must get at least two of those as I may use one of them to blatantly shill her at cons provided i'm allowed to have a sign.

In summer of 2015 during the ballot, I kinda walked around a couple cons with a Krystal support sign, believe it or not I did get a number of supporters but who knows. Only two or three gave me flak over it

Also cause i mentioned this in a thread on a rather dead forum about how to fix Adventures, what do you people think?

How to Fix Star Fox Adventures? Gee that's actually pretty easy, the issue is just the matter of getting the right team involved since Miyamoto and his team arent capable, etc

• Make the manga book that was exclusive to Japans copies of Adventures available as to not confuse people to why Falco isnt present. There may be a translation but an official release would help
    • Follow the ending to this by making the mission of Adventures entirely freelance, Pepper is not involved
    • Instead of Fox being the only one to land, everyone else does
    • They all get ambushed, Fox and everyone are completely separated upon capture
    • Fox gets rescued by Krystal, from there they both work together to;
    • Stop General Scales
    • Return the spirits, in this case the planet isnt breaking apart but they still play a role
    • Save Slippy, ROB, and Peppy. Also liberate the great fox
    • Find something of value to be able to repair the great fox
    • Fox and Krystal have their own abilities that play a role for each area, think Portrait of Ruin if it emphasized on solving things with their abilities
    • Fox and Krystals relationship actually builds up as things go along, with some info of the two you probably would like to hear such as her origins or Fox telling her about his father.
    • Falco returns after a certain point, he doesnt get captured but he wonders how everyone got into this situation. He could be another character to use.
    • The final boss as it was supposed to be is Fox and Krystal taking Scales down, though should it be mandatory the last part will occur
    • Krystal joins Fox in the end, the buildup being much more smoother than it was in the original
    • Andross can still be here, but his revival should be executed differently. If he was resurrected in the manga then something like black magic could be done here. Anyway if they had to put him in, then at least build up to it. An example would be is to have a witch who learns of him when examining Fox when he gets captured again. At that point when Scales dies, she steps in as essentially the real final boss who then uses him after sacrificing herself upon defeat. Take a guess what game did this sort of thing

10/10

Would play the hell out of this game.

Fav part besides mostly everything... that you get to play as Fox and Krystal and maybe even Falco. I like the idea of acquiring team members that perhaps have special and unique skills through the course of the game. Maybe to add replay value, you can play through the story again with Slippy or Peppy as a teammate. Unlock extra areas with them. See special interactions. Etc. That is if we wanted to relegate the feature to an additional playthrough in this game theorizing exercise. But yeah, the one thing Star Fox always seemed to have missing was depth like this. Not necessarily story heavy depth, but world and character building depth and using that to deepen the gameplay.

What's funny is that this is only an outline of something that could have so many more little details like you implied in parts. What's kinda not so funny is that this concept is so ideal yet so difficult to believe it could happen so ideally. Would they ever do Adventures again at all? Would they actually build on it? Would they actually break what was canon a bit and go in this better direction? It seems farfetched but they kinda did it with 64 when they made Zero... but, yeah. The thought was there at least.

Last edited:

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
Hello Folks!
Remember some weeks ago when we had a marvelous discussion about making mod on all that? good times.
Today, After a thousand Earl grey cups and various reworks (because I had to get Krystal sprite just right...) the Krystal mod for this fun Rythm game (Crypt of the Necrodancer) is finally complete. (version) 1

Some early version I did
https://gyazo.com/1e7389b4113f2ba463e6b51e759d90e4
Final version
https://gyazo.com/6c911faee08670292bd45ed8e6d5beb6 (Only 9.99) on steam :secretkpop: I kidding

Version 2 (Coming in ze future) will feature speech which is gonna be a bit hard because Krystal, while she has plenty of Voice clips out here for everybody to use she still dosent have certain sounds needed for instance battlecry/attack sounds you know like thouse Hyaaas! and Huuahhhs! that Link does. I will probably end up merging Some of her voice clips with Zero suit samus ones to have a sound for everything I need you know since they are the same person an all.

That is it Lads,
upload_2017-8-11_3-1-43.gif

hope we can keep making more Krystal related content out there.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Hello Folks!
Remember some weeks ago when we had a marvelous discussion about making mod on all that? good times.
Today, After a thousand Earl grey cups and various reworks (because I had to get Krystal sprite just right...) the Krystal mod for this fun Rythm game (Crypt of the Necrodancer) is finally complete. (version) 1

Some early version I did
https://gyazo.com/1e7389b4113f2ba463e6b51e759d90e4
Final version
https://gyazo.com/6c911faee08670292bd45ed8e6d5beb6 (Only 9.99) on steam :secretkpop: I kidding

Version 2 (Coming in ze future) will feature speech which is gonna be a bit hard because Krystal, while she has plenty of Voice clips out here for everybody to use she still dosent have certain sounds needed for instance battlecry/attack sounds you know like thouse Hyaaas! and Huuahhhs! that Link does. I will probably end up merging Some of her voice clips with Zero suit samus ones to have a sound for everything I need you know since they are the same person an all.

That is it Lads,
View attachment 132064

hope we can keep making more Krystal related content out there.
since you've done it around adventures krystal it should be easier because she has more grunts than assault krystal, the krystal archive actually has a good assortment of adventures bytes https://krystalarchive.com/audio/adventuresvoiceacting/ check the environmental sounds and scroll around the page, you should find a good amount.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
. I will probably end up merging Some of her voice clips with Zero suit samus ones to have a sound for everything I need you know since they are the same person an all.
Reminds me of those Lucina animations with her VA's voice on Saints Row.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
So apparently Nintendo will be holding a special panel at pax west. I wonder what they will talk about or show us. :p

It may be found here.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
There's no way I can do that, only PAX I could do is PAX East but that's if I can even buy the right ticket in time. It's also a matter if Nintendo would be there too. From what i've been told, PAX isnt really like Comic con or any Anime con. It's also $100 overall for a single day.

Edit: jordansweeto jordansweeto i'm only pointing this out but apparently there was a difference in the US and Japanese version of Assault here.
I dont know if showing support would mean much but probably because you got the one or two trying to start things..

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Huh, strange.

I wonder what the logic was. Soemthing like...

Murica': They shot at our women! Get em! vs Ha-ha! Eat **** you millstone!
Nippon: They shot at the endearing one! Get em! vs Ha-ha! Eat **** you ship-wrecker!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Huh, strange.

I wonder what the logic was. Soemthing like...

Murica': They shot at our women! Get em! vs Ha-ha! Eat **** you millstone!
Nippon: They shot at the endearing one! Get em! vs Ha-ha! Eat **** you ship-wrecker!
No idea, the japanese had waifu culture before we did, though I'd bet krystal had more western success. In any case SNES classic preorders could show up anytime now so keep your eyes peeled, I doubt nintendo will relegate SF2 to it forever, but it's possible so should atleast try to get it.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Hey again guys! Just felt like I had to add something to the table since everyone else here is showcasing all their Krystal mods and such. I made a mod edit of the skyrim Krystal mod that came out a few years ago and never really shared it with anyone. I stopped making mods because my creation kit broke and I didn't want to format to fix it because it would take me 20+ hours to reset up all my 300 mods for the game and make sure they all work together. I just edited her features to be closer to her in game version, I hope you guys like it!

Here's the first file(this will give you 2 files one is for the follower and one is for the player race "cerinian race")

Here is the fix for the floating head glitch that comes with the mod.

Just set them up in the load up order like this order and anywhere in your load order except above the esm files. So anywhere below those files!

Cerinian race.esp
Cerinian follower.esp
Skeletonfix.esp(comes with the 2nd file don't remember what it was called exactly)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Hey again guys! Just felt like I had to add something to the table since everyone else here is showcasing all their Krystal mods and such. I made a mod edit of the skyrim Krystal mod that came out a few years ago and never really shared it with anyone. I stopped making mods because my creation kit broke and I didn't want to format to fix it because it would take me 20+ hours to reset up all my 300 mods for the game and make sure they all work together. I just edited her features to be closer to her in game version, I hope you guys like it!

Here's the first file(this will give you 2 files one is for the follower and one is for the player race "cerinian race")

Here is the fix for the floating head glitch that comes with the mod.

Just set them up in the load up order like this order and anywhere in your load order except above the esm files. So anywhere below those files!

Cerinian race.esp
Cerinian follower.esp
Skeletonfix.esp(comes with the 2nd file don't remember what it was called exactly)
Got a screencap or video clip of how it looks? I don't have Skyrim anyways.

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Got a screencap or video clip of how it looks? I don't have Skyrim anyways.
Yeah I got a few! Here's some shots that I have lying around on my gyazo account. If you need any better shots let me know and I can get better ones. These were just what I had uploaded at the time!
Link one

Link two

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Well I did hear back from Nintendo, they actually forwarded my letter to NoA because they don't respond to out of region letters, pretty hilarious. Along with some various junk. There is a silver lining perhaps because of this line
"I'll make sure that your feedback will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo."
So perhaps maybe the letter and the various picture proof content is scene by a Starfox dev, while it makes no mentioned of second half of letter which talks about her smash inclusion I did get this very teasing smash...thing? so perhaps she acknowledge the smash portion as well.
http://imgur.com/a/NOcGl

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Well I did hear back from Nintendo, they actually forwarded my letter to NoA because they don't respond to out of region letters, pretty hilarious. Along with some various junk. There is a silver lining perhaps because of this line
"I'll make sure that your feedback will be documented and made available to the other departments here at Nintendo."
So perhaps maybe the letter and the various picture proof content is scene by a Starfox dev, while it makes no mentioned of second half of letter which talks about her smash inclusion I did get this very teasing smash...thing? so perhaps she acknowledge the smash portion as well.
Interesting... I wonder why you would be told to send it there by Cuthbert if they just sent it back to NoA. Ah well.

I also wonder why they would send that "new challenger approaching" thing back to you. That one has me thinking. XD

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
i'm sure all the ridley fans get the same thing too

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Interesting... I wonder why you would be told to send it there by Cuthbert if they just sent it back to NoA. Ah well.

I also wonder why they would send that "new challenger approaching" thing back to you. That one has me thinking. XD
It's hard for me to read the letter from the side but I dont think i'm seeing anything in there that mentions Cuthbert. Even then he can't really say anything, not because he's hiding something but because he seriously cant. I asked him during a stream not long ago about Adventures and Assault, he couldnt answer it because he wasn't involved with it or something like it.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It's hard for me to read the letter from the side but I dont think i'm seeing anything in there that mentions Cuthbert. Even then he can't really say anything, not because he's hiding something but because he seriously cant. I asked him during a stream not long ago about Adventures and Assault, he couldnt answer it because he wasn't involved with it or something like it.
I talked to him on reddit and twitter and the letter was his suggestion, though initially to imamura, he's not mentioned in their response, nor did i mention him in anything i sent

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That's a really cool response, just speaking from past experience of such - they clearly wanted to say a lot to you, even if there wasn't much they legally could say!

Also, I love their notation for the enclosed items - "Nintendo Swag x3". I can't think of any other company who would put it that way. :laugh:

And speaking of those, that Smash "New Challenger Approaching" banner is so cool! They've never made very much Smash merchandise or ephemera over the years (which continually puzzles me) - that's a real keeper!

It's nice to see a note of the ever-present feedback-files, too - they mean it when they say that, so that's pretty awesome. :grin:

i'm sure all the ridley fans get the same thing too
It's actually been their policy since the 1980s. There's a brief history on how Nintendo's modern-day feedback system began here (as part of this larger article).

The gist of it is, back then, it was established that each game/series has a feedback file, and formal feedback sent via letters, phone-calls, and e-mails, gets added to the relevant file, which is later fed back to the teams in question, presumably after being translated at Nintendo of America, Nintendo of Europe, or whatever regional arm the feedback was sent to.

Or, in short, if they say they've documented feedback so that it can be made available to other departments, they really have added it to the file for the relevant game or series, and it will get looked at.

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
And he basically got an official no from nintendo due to everyone wanting him, answers from the higher-ups is what i'm after, even if it's no
trust me when i say her character relevance (especially for a secondary character of a series that is dying) is a very huge hint that she won't be in the next game. You'd be lucky if she were to be a Assist Trophy like Waluigi (who has way higher requests and is much more relevant to the nintendo universe).

I don't think even think Krystal is relevant/popular enough for them to even give her an "official no" like Ridley. Thats just the truth. Even Geno and K. Rool fans got mii costumes to ease their fans.

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
trust me when i say her character relevance (especially for a secondary character of a series that is dying) is a very huge hint that she won't be in the next game. You'd be lucky if she were to be a Assist Trophy like Waluigi (who has way higher requests and is much more relevant to the nintendo universe).

I don't think even think Krystal is relevant/popular enough for them to even give her an "official no" like Ridley. Thats just the truth. Even Geno and K. Rool fans got mii costumes to ease their fans.
I agree that Krystal's/the Star Fox series' relevance fading each new year definitely doesn't help Krystal's chances of being in Smash but I wouldn't be so quick to say she has no chance of being in the next game. Even if you argue that other characters have a much higher chance of getting in Smash (which is a little hard to prove 100% anyways) it comes down to Sakurai or whoever is in charge of the next entry in the series.
If he (or whoevers in charge next) sees potential in Krystal and makes them a priority then it can happen.

Remember that we have no idea what's happening behind closed doors at Nintendo either. They could have nothing in mind for the Star Fox series right now or they could have something HUGE planned. Maybe by the time the next Smash is even announced we will have heard about plans for a new Star Fox coming to the Switch, maybe even confirming Krystal's return, we don't know yet!

All I'm saying is that however unlikely some people may think it is for Krystal to return to SF or become playable in Smash, there's no denying that she has remained a very popular character over the years.
I still see it to this day, even outside of our support group which continues to do really great work on Youtube! Keep your voices and spirits high, team!

ps. I won't be posting that comic on this site anymore, if you want to continue reading it on a much better site then just look up Blackbear972 on DeviantART, enjoy! :)

Last edited:

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I agree that Krystal's/the Star Fox series' relevance fading each new year definitely doesn't help Krystal's chances of being in Smash but I wouldn't be so quick to say she has no chance of being in the next game. Even if you argue that other characters have a much higher chance of getting in Smash (which is a little hard to prove 100% anyways) it comes down to Sakurai or whoever is in charge of the next entry in the series.
If he (or whoevers in charge next) sees potential in Krystal and makes them a priority then it can happen.
if you really want to know why she doesn't have much of a chance, you need to compare her to the newcomers of Smash 4

Bayonetta (main character of a critically acclaimed game)
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings (Secondary but from Mario Universe, nuff said)
Cloud (a sh***y playstation character but he is still from an iconic franchise and he was the main character in his game)
Corrin (main character of a currently thriving series)
Dark Pit (Last minute clone that took ZERO EFFORT/Favoritism from creator, moving on....)
Duck Hunt (main character of a classic retro game responsible for selling Nintendo MILLIONS of games)
Greninja (Pokemon is one of currently biggest selling series of Nintendo and hes also a starter pokemon)
Lucina (Last minute clone that took ZERO EFFORT/main character of a currently thriving series)
Little Mac (main character of a classic retro game)
Mega Man (iconic non-nintendo character and the main character of his series)
Mii (Official Nintendo avatar, nuff said)
Pac-Man (iconic non-nintendo character and the main character of his series)
Palutena (secondary character from a game the Smash Creator worked on himself. This is the only non-clone secondary character that got in through favoritism)
Robin (main character of a currently thriving series)
Rosalina & Luma (Secondary but from Mario Universe, nuff said)
Ryu (main character and face of Street Fighter II, a wildly popular fighting games series that was a staple on the Super Nintendo)
Shulk (main character of Xenoblade Chronicles)
Villager (main character of Animal Crossing)
Wii Fit Trainer (main character of Wii Fit, also sold a sh** ton of games)

in what way does Krystal (a secondary character from a dying series) compare to these characters (most of whom are stars of their own game)?

this "potential" you speak of is called "favoritism". This isn't a game that suppose to fill up the roster with "who the developers like". If that was the case, characters like Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru would have gotten in Smash a long time ago. They want to fill up the roster with Iconic Nintendo mascots that people would recognize (and if its a non-nintendo character they MUST be the main character from a popular franchise). its a game full of celebrities of the Nintendo gaming world. Krystal is essentially a D-list celebrity compared to all the newcomers in Smash 4. Just look at how many main characters they added. Mario is the only series that would warrant as much secondary characters, no questions asked. The second would be Pokemon. But from a flop series like Star Fox, that is reaching. The only reason a non-clone secondary character like Palutena was added is because the Smash series creator himself was very hands-on in the reboot of Kid Icarus. Which included creating her recent model. Not only that but the Kid Icarus Reboot sold well (unlike Star Fox Zero). So thats like 1 out of 19 among the newcomers? Not only that, but there are way more relevant secondary characters from other series that would get in before they even consider Krystal.

the only way she would get in is if they wanted to cheaply add her in last minute as clone (without much effort on the developer's part) like Wolf/DarkPit. This would be out of extreme favoritism from the developer's part also. But that won't happen if you read about why Wolf was added over Krystal in Brawl (who was then subsequently KICKED to the CURB in the next Smash Bros due to Star Fox growing more irrelevant)

There are also things that make her even more D-list, like the fact that she wasn't even in any recent Star Fox games nor was she apart of the iconic games of the series like Star Fox 64 (the recent 3DS version actually sold well) or the Original Star Fox. There is also the upcoming release of an unreleased Star Fox game that features other females. Even Katt Monroe is more relevant than Krystal lately.

i feel like the arguments for this character to be in Smash has always come from strong wishful thinking on the fan's part ("OMG THEY NEED STAFF CHARACTER AND FEMALEZ BLAHZAYBLAH") and not based on an actual likelyhood of them being in.

All I'm saying is that however unlikely some people may think it is for Krystal to return to SF or become playable in Smash, there's no denying that she has remained a very popular character over the years.
among smashboards? yes. among the general public (aka the people who make up the majority of the sales)? no.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
And he basically got an official no from nintendo due to everyone wanting him, answers from the higher-ups is what i'm after, even if it's no

That was from Sakurai himself, not Nintendo. Sakurai doesn't work for Nintendo, he's in his own company: Sora Ltd. (a company that has been around since 2005), and freelances to work alongside companies (Q Entertainment, Game Arts, Project Sora [Defunct], and Bandai Namco) to work on games. Nintendo have been his client - Satoru Iwata was the negotiator between Sakurai and the Nintendo company, but he mainly allowed Sakurai to have artistic freedom. Nintendo have not dismissed the idea of the character's inclusion in future games. They have, however, acknowledged the demand for him though, e
ven if they were poking fun at the situation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Even when the hub-bub is dying down, Krystal still has people going out of their way to rain on (what can charitably be called) her parade.

Reminds me of that big survey and Krystal was in the top 10 or so for 5* votes but was low overall due to a lot of 1*s.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Seems like i've missed a party lol.
Yea people still have beef with Krystal, it's understandable all things considered. The issue with allowing hatred into a poll you just downvote anything that is perceived as bad or competition,
She's not a main list character for inclusion, but there's quite a lot of mystery surrounding the ballot, who's pioneering the next smash or even when it'll come out. It's a miracle she's as popular as she is for how old and irrelevant she is, I'd wait and see if Miyamoto comes up with anything during the switches lifetime before parading irrelevance with reckless abandon, I seriously doubt he'll just throw the series away. Also the 3DS port didn't sell well, especially not when you compare it the LoZ ports.

Even among all the crap nintendo gets i'm sure all the info I sent, if they kept it all together, will look pretty interesting.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Oh boy here we go!
  • Krystal despite not being in Zero still has more relevancy than every other girl in the entire series. She still gets fanart to this day
  • Katt almost never gets any, even that one thing she said in Zero didnt help her in the slightest
  • Even before they became "official", MIyu and Fay got more attention over Katt
  • Implying Krystal isnt a main character. If anyone's a secondary character, it's Katt since she's not part of the main team whereas Krystal is.
  • So get this, the reason for some being bothered with Krystal all really stems on possibly the most petty thing imaginable. I will not go into details but it's something i've made the call on happening to Fay should she be hooked up with Wolf.
  • I mean, lets get real they got destroyed when Zero failed as it pins the entire series downfall on 64 and debunking the years of whining over every follow up not being exactly like one game.
  • 64 3D only sold about 500k units back when it originally released in 2011, the current amount it has now literally took six years to reach and it still hasnt broke a million. The comparison to all games but Command really shows just how poor Star Fox 64 aged, and the reason for this is because it would be a month later that Zelda OoT 3D would come out and easily wipe the floor with it. To either say it's because Zelda is just popular and or because 64 3D released when the 3DS was struggling is not a good excuse as the sales of Zelda clearly say otherwise. Not to mention that back then, between Mario, Star Fox, and Zelda, they were equally as big.
  • If the original and Star Fox 64 are so iconic, how come no one really cares about them? That's like saying F-Zero and F-Zero X are iconic when it's clear no one knows or cares about it (you know the majority only know of the title because of Smash). What i'm saying is neither of those two were that great as much as they were big back then.
  • Zero is the prime example of Star Fox 64 never actually being that good in retrospect. 64 is better than Zero but the fact remains is what you thought was so great 20 years ago was never actually that great. I used to think some 90s cartoons were great, but looking back at them at least 98% of them do not hold up at all. That's what Star Fox is, an outdated series that took at least ten years from its original game to realize the genre some people act like it should be become totally obsolete. The kicker of it all is there's nothing that can be done to save it.
  • The new Star Fox stage that was literally from Assault, you can say Krystal wasnt there but so wasnt Wolf and team. Fox, Krystal, Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Wolf, Leon, Panther were all there in the stage in Assault.

Top Bottom