• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team Star Fox call in Krystal for Smash!

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm gonna need suggestions as I cant think of a good way of how to involve Krystal in that. I do want to make something, just...

Also any added support would be necessary, I may have made a ton of images of her and all, but it's just to show there's more than one person backing her up.
Seems like you thought of something. As it relates to your prolific time on Miiverse, makes sense to reference Krystal as if she was yours. You essentially posted "as her" on Miiverse a ton. She's kind of your recognizable character so showing her in a farewell doesn't seem like it's forced. Falls perfectly in line with your Miiverse history for the most part really.

And with that all in mind, I think what you ended up doing was just fine. It works.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I really dont mean to double post, but just because I got my hands on it, I got the Playing with Super Power book that released with the SNES Classic and guess what?

THAT'S RIGHT!!
Krystal totally got mentioned, from the way this sounds she's just fine as we all thought.
tumblr_oxn88xVB3g1r4gcxho6_1280.jpg tumblr_oxn88xVB3g1r4gcxho5_1280.jpg tumblr_oxn88xVB3g1r4gcxho1_1280.jpg

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
I really dont mean to double post, but just because I got my hands on it, I got the Playing with Super Power book that released with the SNES Classic and guess what?

THAT'S RIGHT!!
Krystal totally got mentioned, from the way this sounds she's just fine as we all thought.
View attachment 133130 View attachment 133131 View attachment 133132
This is beautiful news, I like the prominent mention of her, though I wish they would have avoided Deviantart's Krystal there but I can't be that picky. So does this manual talk about game series in general?

Still that's seriously awesome to have both those pages focus on her, I should pick one of these up just for that reason lol. More people need to see these, especially those that actually think that nintendo forgot about her, which we now have proof is just ridiculous.

XeVioN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
XeVioN !
User was warned for this post

THAT'S RIGHT!!
Wow thouse are wonderful news Im pretty surprise about that!

Also people you might wanna "check a look" at this animations that I found, had to turn them into gift so I could post them here nicely.

Resting.gif
Runnin2.gif

BESTO ONE ^ ^ ^

Walking.gif

From what I heard this were made with a program called MUGEN a free fighting game engine. The person who made these
(眼鏡111)
also made several animations that really suit Krystal in an arcade 2D fighting game.

Also people you might wanna "check a look" at this animations that I found, had to turn them into gift so I could post them here nicely.

Resting.gif
Runnin2.gif

BESTO ONE ^ ^ ^

Walking.gif

From what I heard this were made with a program called MUGEN a free fighting game engine. The person who made these
(眼鏡111) also made several animations that really suit Krystal in an arcade 2D fighting game.
I Can only upload 3 files per comment so here are a few more.
Jumping.gif
downward.gif

Dash.gif

I dont know if this guys intention is to make a full moveset and make Krystal a fighter in some 2D game but if its so Im totally down for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 133136 View attachment 133138
BESTO ONE ^ ^ ^

View attachment 133140

(眼鏡111) also made several animations that really suit Krystal in an arcade 2D fighting game.

View attachment 133141 View attachment 133143

View attachment 133142

I dont know if this guys intention is to make a full moveset and make Krystal a fighter in some 2D game but if its so Im totally down for it.
I sent him a message earlier, MUGEN was mentioned in some of them though i haven't heard back from him. I have fighter factory myself though I have quite little experience with it, there still aren't enough frames to make a character but If he keeps making frames then eventually there will be enough so here's hoping.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

THAT'S RIGHT!!
That's really good news, and really nice to see. :grin:

After all, it's an officially-licensed book, so the content has all been reviewed and approved by Nintendo - something that's noteworthy because if they didn't want something in there, or wanted the focus put on something else instead, they had the opportunity to act on that and could've had the authors change it.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
All this FE:Warriors talk has me remembering that old rumor of a Star Fox Musou game being pitched. I'd genuinely like to know how that would have worked. Only one of the characters even has a melee weapon, would they use mechs? Would they have just have different custom weapons? Either way I think Smash is likely her only real chance of appearing in any kind of game that's not SF. Which isn't a bad thing considering it's Smash lol.

Funny thing is, I don't know if it's the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon or Zero disappointing everyone but there's more people mentioning Assault as their favorite now and 64 seems to be falling off. It's not really a direct support but people talking about the game with arguably Krystal's best appearance can only help there being a future game that continues the story, by extension including her.

Also reading deeper into the Super NES classic book there's this
"Exclusive Foreword: Written by Reggie Fils-Aimé, President and COO of Nintendo of America." on the amazon page.
So NoA's meme machine put himself in this book. I doubt he's actually read it, but it does make me wonder who has. It seems like it could be some higher-up people for him to approve putting his own words in it as it makes him seem like he in some way agrees with what is written here. So while it may be nothing, It could mean that Nintendo in some way agrees that Krystal is worthy of attention as far as Star Fox is concerned which is as much as I can really ask for.

View attachment 133136 View attachment 133138
BESTO ONE ^ ^ ^

View attachment 133140

View attachment 133141 View attachment 133143

View attachment 133142

Also this just in, he did respond to my comment after all
"Thank you for your concern. Yes. I make it as character operation of MUGEN. I am making while writing CNS, so do not mind" For those of you unfamiliar, MUGEN is a 2D-fighting game built with the idea of anyone vs anyone and was an internet trend a few years ago

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Hey all! Apologies for not being as active on here, been going through a lot. :/

THAT'S RIGHT!!
This is some of the best news I have heard regarding Krystal and Nintendo pretty much in years and I feel like it needed another mention. This puts the Krystal isn’t canon argument to rest forever and I lost count how many times I’ve had to jump to her defence on other threads to argue against the Krystal isn’t canon argument. Thank you so much for bringing that to our attention TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr .

All this FE:Warriors talk has me remembering that old rumor of a Star Fox Musou game being pitched. I'd genuinely like to know how that would have worked. Only one of the characters even has a melee weapon, would they use mechs? Would they have just have different custom weapons? Either way I think Smash is likely her only real chance of appearing in any kind of game that's not SF. Which isn't a bad thing considering it's Smash lol.

Funny thing is, I don't know if it's the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon or Zero disappointing everyone but there's more people mentioning Assault as their favorite now and 64 seems to be falling off. It's not really a direct support but people talking about the game with arguably Krystal's best appearance can only help there being a future game that continues the story, by extension including her.

Also reading deeper into the Super NES classic book there's this
"Exclusive Foreword: Written by Reggie Fils-Aimé, President and COO of Nintendo of America." on the amazon page.
So NoA's meme machine put himself in this book. I doubt he's actually read it, but it does make me wonder who has. It seems like it could be some higher-up people for him to approve putting his own words in it as it makes him seem like he in some way agrees with what is written here. So while it may be nothing, It could mean that Nintendo in some way agrees that Krystal is worthy of attention as far as Star Fox is concerned which is as much as I can really ask for.

Also this just in, he did respond to my comment after all
"Thank you for your concern. Yes. I make it as character operation of MUGEN. I am making while writing CNS, so do not mind" For those of you unfamiliar, MUGEN is a 2D-fighting game built with the idea of anyone vs anyone and was an internet trend a few years ago
Let’s be honest though, the last good star fox game that came out was assault, and even that was arguably too short. Zero was just disappointing to begin with, that story is so overdone. It’s like putting flame decals on an old car, you can keep piling more and more flame decals on it but it will always be the same boring car, though it may look cooler, it just isn’t in the long run. People want something new, something assault at least tried to offer.

For some reason I think that someone as high up as reggie would have to have read the manual front to back as you don’t get that far with a company without knowing to read between the lines before signing your name on something, everything has to be perfect. So I believe he definitely saw that Krystal was in there and signed off on it knowing that she has a following of sorts, to what degree? That could be anyone’s guess. Nobody knows what Nintendo is thinking, but I think it’s a good sign nonetheless.

Yeah I found those sprites sometime last month and was actually wondering if something mugen-related was going to be down with those sprites because I saw the mugen tag on some of the sprite clips. That’s good to get some confirmation there.

Also, this was posted in the Krystal archive discord! I thought you all would enjoy this so I’m posting it for you all.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Hey all! Apologies for not being as active on here, been going through a lot. :/

This is some of the best news I have heard regarding Krystal and Nintendo pretty much in years and I feel like it needed another mention. This puts the Krystal isn’t canon argument to rest forever and I lost count how many times I’ve had to jump to her defence on other threads to argue against the Krystal isn’t canon argument. Thank you so much for bringing that to our attention TheCynicalCdr TheCynicalCdr .

Let’s be honest though, the last good star fox game that came out was assault, and even that was arguably too short. Zero was just disappointing to begin with, that story is so overdone. It’s like putting flame decals on an old car, you can keep piling more and more flame decals on it but it will always be the same boring car, though it may look cooler, it just isn’t in the long run. People want something new, something assault at least tried to offer.

For some reason I think that someone as high up as reggie would have to have read the manual front to back as you don’t get that far with a company without knowing to read between the lines before signing your name on something, everything has to be perfect. So I believe he definitely saw that Krystal was in there and signed off on it knowing that she has a following of sorts, to what degree? That could be anyone’s guess. Nobody knows what Nintendo is thinking, but I think it’s a good sign nonetheless.

Yeah I found those sprites sometime last month and was actually wondering if something mugen-related was going to be down with those sprites because I saw the mugen tag on some of the sprite clips. That’s good to get some confirmation there.

Also, this was posted in the Krystal archive discord! I thought you all would enjoy this so I’m posting it for you all.
Nintendo of Europe retweeted that

Speaking of mugen sprites...
IMG_0212.jpg

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
One dude trying to discount her as a nintendo character, she hasn't been rareware's since the dinosaur planet prototype.
Did you make that out of beads? it's pretty great looking actually.
Continuing that train, online capable MUGEN without ridiculous remote access has been a thing for a little while now, just tested IKEMEN and it works. I told the guy if he needed any Krystal-related audio assests to hit me up, I have access to both voices and weapon effects from Adventures and Assault, this MUGEN krystal could be good, Though that depends on how good his coding is. Maybe instead of making SSF2 styled Krystal sprites I could make an Assault krystal edit. That way i know it's actually purposeful.

Also I've heard that the GC adapter(s) now work for Nintendo Switch, though i heard one person also saying that it's just recognized as a generic usb controller, meaning it wouldn't be official drivers. We'll have to see how it pans out. If it meant anything it could be great, be it either of the two common assumptions, There's not one but two SF games featuring Krystal on the gamecube so perhaps one could make it on the virtual console in the future.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
One dude trying to discount her as a nintendo character, she hasn't been rareware's since the dinosaur planet prototype.
Did you make that out of beads? it's pretty great looking actually.
Continuing that train, online capable MUGEN without ridiculous remote access has been a thing for a little while now, just tested IKEMEN and it works. I told the guy if he needed any Krystal-related audio assests to hit me up, I have access to both voices and weapon effects from Adventures and Assault, this MUGEN krystal could be good, Though that depends on how good his coding is. Maybe instead of making SSF2 styled Krystal sprites I could make an Assault krystal edit. That way i know it's actually purposeful.

Also I've heard that the GC adapter(s) now work for Nintendo Switch, though i heard one person also saying that it's just recognized as a generic usb controller, meaning it wouldn't be official drivers. We'll have to see how it pans out. If it meant anything it could be great, be it either of the two common assumptions, There's not one but two SF games featuring Krystal on the gamecube so perhaps one could make it on the virtual console in the future.
If you mean that one furry, then I noticed as I was navigating his page he has some content that says a lot about him. Simply put it just backs up my entire point on those who still for some reason complain over her.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Indeed I saw that! That’s getting Krystal a lot of needed attention. It is also getting unneeded attention that is quickly dispatched, haters just don’t seem to last long from the replies I read on there.

I also saw you do those sprites in the krystalarchive discord! It looks amazing! Nice work man.
If you mean that one furry, then I noticed as I was navigating his page he has some content that says a lot about him. Simply put it just backs up my entire point on those who still for some reason complain over her.
I would ask you what you mean that his content says a lot about him, but I can just look myself at some time. People can be so irrational when it comes to Krystal and it just makes no sense to me.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
XeVioN XeVioN
Those animated Krystals are awesome. I like the more actiony latter three actually. That slide is sweet and that crazy dunk spike is very Wolf. All cool. The latter three look sharper for some reason too.

Also, you found a cool cute festive avatar and I approve.

Now if only I could dress my Palutena up festively....... ~

That didn't take you long~

...probably kinda did though I bet, heh.

Oh, a couple days ago I was reading IGN's review of Star Fox 2. And yes I know there's some contention about how they reviewed it but the score really isn't that big a deal with me since they at least conceded that it's all about the history of the thing and they said if you're a fan of the series definitely check it out... and that's good enough for me.

But I didn't bring this up to talk about the review. Instead I wanted to share something fun I saw browsing the comments for the review. Kind of a popular "comment" too...

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Also I've heard that the GC adapter(s) now work for Nintendo Switch, though i heard one person also saying that it's just recognized as a generic usb controller, meaning it wouldn't be official drivers.
They're official drivers, alright! Check out GameXplain's video about it, where, in one part, they mention trying another common type of USB controller with a similar layout, and how it didn't work.

This reminds me of the time when support for Pokken Tournament's controllers was added in a previous Switch firmware update. It's also interesting to note that, if memory serves, on the Wii U Nintendo didn't allow other companies to use the GameCube controller adapter because it was created as a Super Smash Bros. accessory.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
They're official drivers, alright! Check out GameXplain's video about it, where, in one part, they mention trying another common type of USB controller with a similar layout, and how it didn't work.

This reminds me of the time when support for Pokken Tournament's controllers was added in a previous Switch firmware update. It's also interesting to note that, if memory serves, on the Wii U Nintendo didn't allow other companies to use the GameCube controller adapter because it was created as a Super Smash Bros. accessory.
Interesting! Good to know it’s officially official. Now we need some smash confirmation, though I still think that they’re holding an announcement like that off for e3 2018, so I’d be more inclined to expect they they’re goong to announce GameCube virtual console very soon. Let’s hope we get some star fox adventures and assault virtual console! I’d buy that in a heartbeat, as well as on my friends switches. Lol.

There’s was also a pretty nice article posted today on gonintendo stating that their current momentum is going to continue through 2018 and that they wanted to make the first year look strong and put out arms to show that they still make first party ip, along with a few other nice tidbits.

Edit - jahkzheng jahkzheng also that comment is pretty funny and I see the humour in it, but I agree with ryuu seika ryuu seika that it still is likely used in poor taste, still funny though. I love foxes stare, it gave me a good laugh.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Not really focusing on Krystal the way I'd want but it's certainly something.
To be fair there's not really much else to talk about except for potential, Krystal never really had a rich personality, or interesting abilities, just an outline of what could have been or could be.

Interesting! Good to know it’s officially official. Now we need some smash confirmation, though I still think that they’re holding an announcement like that off for e3 2018, so I’d be more inclined to expect they they’re goong to announce GameCube virtual console very soon. Let’s hope we get some star fox adventures and assault virtual console! I’d buy that in a heartbeat, as well as on my friends switches. Lol.

There’s was also a pretty nice article posted today on gonintendo stating that their current momentum is going to continue through 2018 and that they wanted to make the first year look strong and put out arms to show that they still make first party ip, along with a few other nice tidbits.

Edit - jahkzheng jahkzheng also that comment is pretty funny and I see the humour in it, but I agree with ryuu seika ryuu seika that it still is likely used in poor taste, still funny though. I love foxes stare, it gave me a good laugh.
Number 1 and 3 on the switch first year is good, I guess my interests are too singular as no game has been a must buy for the console, I've purchased one just because i don't want prime 4 to randomly release before next christmas and me be stuck without a switch.

I'd be happy to see either SF title on gamecube to appear on virtual console though, might get some more vocal krystal supporters to come back aswell as the slim chance of getting a few more.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Not really focusing on Krystal the way I'd want but it's certainly something.
Pretty much summed up exactly my thoughts when I saw it... plus amusement, heh.

To be fair there's not really much else to talk about except for potential, Krystal never really had a rich personality, or interesting abilities, just an outline of what could have been or could be.
Gotta agree. She's not as rich a character as I'd like but I always saw her as being full of possibilities admittedly and relatively interesting for a Nintendo character. Although, arguably, many of Nintendo's characters are that way, interesting but not as rich as we'd like. Course you don't want them to Other M their characters, but some fun personality depth can be nice.

I'll admit Krystal has been my number 1 character for Smash since Smash Wii U introduced so many others I cared about and kind put the nail in the coffin of Ridley, which was always a pipe dream for me. There's also lots of more recent characters I like just as much, but I still support Krystal just because she's one of the few Nintendo property characters from pre-Brawl that I've wanted to see in the game since then. I mean, pre-Brawl she was new and fresh and I saw her inclusion as even just adding to her character even more from what she got in Adventures and Assault. And I'll admit that even before I supported Krystal exactly, I supported Fox with a staff moveset until I considered that I wouldn't want his Melee moveset to just go away and really the staff was Krystal's so I was like, "well, obviously just add Krystal then Fox can stay the same and we'd get more reps for StarFox and an interesting one at that". So yeah, my support runs deep for her and I'd give her first dibs before a number of more recent characters that are arguably more interesting or are from series that deserve reps that don't have any. That's just my own experience/perspective on supporting Krystal though and a part of why I'm in a group thread like this one still today, in a time where maybe she's more like old news; a character looking for some limelight again.

Last edited:

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
While I agree that her personality never really got fleshed out (at least not in a good way = SF Command), I wouldn't say that Krystal's abilities are not interesting. Her telepathy makes her literally unique, and I think Assault did a great job at highlighting that (cutscene before the Sauria mission, for instance). Not to mention her magical powers in Adventures. I know they were never fully explained but were still existent nonetheless. All of these powers are far more interesting than the abilities of the other team members. I mean, technically, everybody can become an ace pilot or a mechanic by training or studying. Telepathy, however, is something you either have or you don't.

Krystal and her people can also be connected to Venom and the ancient tribe 'Cornerus'. IMO, there is no other character/race (except the Krazoa) that can be connected to that, at least not in a believable way. That's quite remarkable for a character that was never supposed to be a part of that franchise in the first place. I don't know if you remember our discussion about that on the KA, but it seemed like we could talk/make up theories about Krystal and her people for hours and it never got boring. There are not too many SF characters who have that going. I mean, I could never have a talk/discussion like that about Slippy, even though he is also quite interesting in his own ways.

I definitely agree that there is much more that Nintendo could do with Krystal. Same goes for pretty much all of the SF characters, though. On the KA, we also came up with ideas regarding the use of her telepathy when you play as her. I had the idea that her radar could be extended by a telepathic overlay which would also be dependent on her health. Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
While I agree that her personality never really got fleshed out (at least not in a good way = SF Command), I wouldn't say that Krystal's abilities are not interesting. Her telepathy makes her literally unique, and I think Assault did a great job at highlighting that (cutscene before the Sauria mission, for instance). Not to mention her magical powers in Adventures. I know they were never fully explained but were still existent nonetheless. All of these powers are far more interesting than the abilities of the other team members. I mean, technically, everybody can become an ace pilot or a mechanic by training or studying. Telepathy, however, is something you either have or you don't.

Krystal and her people can also be connected to Venom and the ancient tribe 'Cornerus'. IMO, there is no other character/race (except the Krazoa) that can be connected to that, at least not in a believable way. That's quite remarkable for a character that was never supposed to be a part of that franchise in the first place. I don't know if you remember our discussion about that on the KA, but it seemed like we could talk/make up theories about Krystal and her people for hours and it never got boring. There are not too many SF characters who have that going. I mean, I could never have a talk/discussion like that about Slippy, even though he is also quite interesting in his own ways.

I definitely agree that there is much more that Nintendo could do with Krystal. Same goes for pretty much all of the SF characters, though. On the KA, we also came up with ideas regarding the use of her telepathy when you play as her. I had the idea that her radar could be extended by a telepathic overlay which would also be dependent on her health. Thoughts? Any other ideas?
As far as powers, Telepathy is just a basic ability that's a subset of psychic powers. In Adventures she could fire a type of energy blast from her body, It was right at the beginning of game (sure it was likely because they had her lost her staff right before near the end of development and didn't care to adjust the next sequence but it still counts) aswell as channeling spirits. I'm going to use F.E.A.R.s Paxton Fettel as a reference as he's one of my favorite characters aswell as him being psychic, He can possess people as he avoided death by using a psychic link and is now a ghost, he has basic telekinesis, can form a psychic shield and can shoot energy blasts from his hands, I consider this fairly basic itself. Telepathy is lesser but that can still do much more with it.

For example they could use it to spy on secure frequency channels, use it to get visceral attacks on bosses which would provide more hit points and damage, or even have her get stronger and impose negative feelings on enemies to cause them panic and break off from targets, or hit each other, etc.

Considering her ability to manipulate spirits this could easily be a plot point, like for example, she could have a spirit of cerinia or even a chunk of a collective consious of the planet taking refuge in her body, which could be used to guide the team across lylat,finding destroyed warp technology and having it reconstructed as a means of reaching the largely destroyed/barren planet to learn more about her past.

Considering that blast (which i consider spirit energy itself) could be used to give her a form of energy to attack things with on the ground aswell if her staff runs out of energy, or even have her ship be developed to use it which would give her a super damaging attack on enemies.

That's my point, all of the conversation is of what she could be, not what she is. So it's not illogical for people to focus on her sex appeal, seeing as it's one of the few things that are truly already there. It'd be painfully easy for them to expand her and it's something we've all noticed, but nintendo develops gameplay with story being secondary, hence the incredible plot rehashing and why we haven't seen her in the recent games. That's possible to change with the latest information but, like everything else here we just have to wait and see.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Considering her ability to manipulate spirits this could easily be a plot point, like for example, she could have a spirit of cerinia or even a chunk of a collective consious of the planet taking refuge in her body, which could be used to guide the team across lylat,finding destroyed warp technology and having it reconstructed as a means of reaching the largely destroyed/barren planet to learn more about her past.
So what you're saying is have Krystal's backstory be the reward for taking the harder route through hyperspace and use the death of her planet to explain why such portals are littered around?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
In terms of Krystal's character, for me, her abilities are only a part of who she is. Overemphasized and she can seen a bit like a tool in a "high-concept" story. I'd personally rather her character being fleshed out in personality more, be a character that could stand up in a "low-concept" story. Make her more multidimensional and "real". In my opinion she's actually already really interesting in terms of abilities, and it's more the other aspects of her character that could make her feel real that need more work. I mean, in some ways her abilities make her feel "less real" simply because they're supernatural and don't do her any favors in terms of empathy from those consuming her usual game media; i.e.,we're not empaths/telepaths so we can't relate to her... which is kinda funny given her ability to kinda literally not have that problem. I've always chose to de-emphasize her telepathy/empathy abilities myself. Some argue they "Mary Sue" her somewhat on top of her other seemingly inherent talents. Basically, too much of a good thing can come off as any annoying thing. I'd rather we explore flaws more as well, which is critical to "low-concept" story telling. Not saying break her with jarring problems she's never had before like Samus in Other M, but rather explore the little things.

If it's not apparent, this is definitely not the first time I've discussed this very thing. I brought this up many times before much was know about Star Fox Zero. Describing my dream scenario for that game where the writing wouldn't be entirely crazy story driven high-concept stuff, but also have an effort at low-concept story telling to better put a focus on the characters... BUT, not necessarily in the high drama way Command did, though that drama was a consequence of high-concept story telling anyways. Like, basically just attention to character details if that makes sense.

Btw, high-concept story telling describes a story that's carried by the premise of the story. For example, "meteor is gonna hit the earth and everything revolves around that central point". On the other hand, low-concept story telling is one where there isn't an obvious overlying event to the story and rather the story is carried by character interaction and development. You can have some of both but most of us can admit that in an apocalypse story we're not generally seeing deep character development that can't directly be said to happen as a result of the crazy events pushing the character. Just clarifying if that terminology was unknown.

And because I mentioned this isn't the first time I've discussed this, I decided to hunt down an even more detailed textwall I made a couple years ago about what exactly I crave for characters in games, heh... specifically Krystal and the Star Fox characters in their own games. Talking about kinda "safe" ways to really make characters richer while being easy to implement in a game and not getting too ambitious. So yeah, copy pasted that old post portion in a spoiler below if this wasn't enough for you read already~

I have to admit, I'm afraid of really deep story building for Star Fox. I, of course, want the characters to be developed, but I want it to be natural and not forced. Krystal in particular still needs a chance to develop as a member of the team. Her personality needs to be shown more so we can get a better feel for who she is. Relying on heavy handed dramatic story telling to develop her character feels dangerous. Think Metroid Other M. I'd rather get to know Krystal better without some drama changing who she normally is. That's the thing, to tell a good story, you have to establish a character before you go about changing them too heavily. She still has a lot to tell us and we can learn about her naturally not due to the events of a game but rather through the events of the game. I want Star Fox to give us some more low-concept natural character development before it one-dimensionalizes the characters in high-concept dramatic story telling.

Command made this mistake by forcing an unnecessary subplot on us to try and do something for her character. All Command needed to do was give her a chance to develop naturally, but instead of an explorative radial development that deepened her character, they focused on one aspect of her character and that developed her in a linear way that only served to one-dimensionalize her. It emphasized one aspect of her basically. After Command, if you were asked who Krystal was you'd say, "She is/was Fox's girlfriend and all her actions are related to that fact". Wouldn't it be more interesting if you could say, "She doesn't like rap music but she likes jazz, she has a hard time understanding all the techy stuff Slippy does, she has a pet rock on board the Great Fox, she's way too good at poker and once helped pay for ship repairs in a lawless system by running the tables at a casino." And all this could just be fun character tidbits that you could pick up through conversation during a mission. All it takes is another character to reference something about her that we don't necessarily see. We don't have to create a special cutscene or open up a subplot just to show that Krystal is good at poker for instance, it only needs to be conveniently mentioned in a referential scene. Maybe they're talking about needing more money and another character can mention Krystal's skill and she could just retort that it was a one time thing. Simple as that, and fun. And that's just an example.

Not saying that your story ideas would go the way of Command btw, just to be clear. But you have to take great care not to limit your characters development in other ways just because a plot point is forcing us to encounter one side of them. A game can pull off dramatic story telling and character development as long as there's at least some down time from major story telling and maybe the plot point only occurs a certain way into the story. The benefit of low-concept or non-story related character development is huge. Kid Icarus Uprising is a great example. You think that game would be as enjoyable if the story was the major focus of the game and the characters were simply players in a high-concept drama, only reacting to plot devices? No. People love that game in part because of the superfluous humorous chit chat. A story driven dialogue wouldn't have revealed to us that Pit likes floor ice cream, heh.

I understand that Star Fox generally has a more serious tone than Kid Icarus turned out to have with Uprising, but it's no Final Fantasy either. People genuinely enjoy the back and forth between the Star Fox team when it reveals character. Like Slippy and Falco arguing. We need more of that imo. Adventures gave us a chance to really get some Fox development because it slowed down and allowed Fox to not be constantly stimulated by things trying to shoot him or having to lead a team... and it wasn't story driven. It was moments like when he responds sarcastically to Pepper or jokes with Tricky. These are the character gems in a game.

Also, heavy story building establishes canon that's hard to ignore. It demands chronological references. This makes the games stand less well on their own in general. It also increases the demand for the story points or characters to "move on" in the next game. It's not episodic, but rather more like a saga in a lot of cases, especially when each piece features a major event. This approach worries me too because it can push us away from what we know of Star Fox. I don't want the notion that Star Fox will age and Fox will be replaced by Fox's offspring to be inevitable in a future game. That's just my opinion though and many other people may want big stories that lead to new characters. I personally think there's still so much potential for these current characters and a big story driven game that wants us to believe their parts are over just feels wrong for this series. I thirst for basic natural character development that wont be buried or untouched because of high-concept ideals.

Edit:

Source for the copy paste if anyone's interested in the full post or what this group was talking about two and half years ago... https://smashboards.com/threads/pre...ystal-for-sm4sh.324255/page-193#post-18976494

Later on we even talk about jordansweeto jordansweeto posting in Youtube comments at a point where we kinda only recently learned of him, heh~

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
In terms of Krystal's character, for me, her abilities are only a part of who she is. Overemphasized and she can seen a bit like a tool in a "high concept" story. I'd personally rather her character being fleshed out in personality more, be a character that could stand up in a "low concept" story. Make her more multidimensional and "real". In my opinion she's actually already really interesting in terms of abilities, and it's more the other aspects of her character that could make her feel real that need more work. I mean, in some ways her abilities make her feel "less real" simply because they're supernatural and don't do her any favors in terms of empathy from those consuming her usual game media; i.e.,we're not empaths/telepaths so we can't relate to her... which is kinda funny given her ability to kinda literally not have that problem. I've always chose to de-emphasize her telepathy/empathy abilities myself. Some argue they "Mary Sue" her somewhat on top of her other seemingly inherent talents. Basically, too much of a good thing can come off as any annoying thing. I'd rather we explore flaws more as well, which is critical to "low concept" story telling. Not saying break her with jarring problems she's never had before like Samus in Other M, but rather explore the little things.

If it's not apparent, this is definitely not the first time I've discussed this very thing. I brought this up many times before much was know about Star Fox Zero. Describing my dream scenario for that game where the writing wouldn't be entirely crazy story driven high concept stuff, but also have an effort an low concept story telling to better put a focus on the characters... BUT, not necessarily in the high drama way Command did, though that drama was a consequence of high concept story telling anyways. Like, basically just attention to character details if that makes sense.

Btw, high concept story telling describes a story that's carried by the premise of the story. For example, "meteor is gonna hit the earth and everything revolves around that central point". On the other hand, low concept story telling is one where there isn't an obvious overlying event to the story and rather the story is carried by character interaction and development. You can have some of both but most of us can admit that in an apocalypse story we're not generally seeing deep character development that can't directly be said to happen as a result of the crazy events pushing the character. Just clarifying if that terminology was unknown.

And because I mentioned this isn't the first time I've discussed this, I decided to hunt down an even more detailed textwall I made a couple years ago about what exactly I crave for characters in games, heh... specifically Krystal and the Star Fox characters in their own games. Talking about kinda "safe" ways to really make characters richer while being easy to implement in a game and not getting too ambitious. So yeah, copy pasted that old post portion in a spoiler below if this wasn't enough for you read already~

I have to admit, I'm afraid of really deep story building for Star Fox. I, of course, want the characters to be developed, but I want it to be natural and not forced. Krystal in particular still needs a chance to develop as a member of the team. Her personality needs to be shown more so we can get a better feel for who she is. Relying on heavy handed dramatic story telling to develop her character feels dangerous. Think Metroid Other M. I'd rather get to know Krystal better without some drama changing who she normally is. That's the thing, to tell a good story, you have to establish a character before you go about changing them too heavily. She still has a lot to tell us and we can learn about her naturally not due to the events of a game but rather through the events of the game. I want Star Fox to give us some more low-concept natural character development before it one-dimensionalizes the characters in high-concept dramatic story telling.

Command made this mistake by forcing an unnecessary subplot on us to try and do something for her character. All Command needed to do was give her a chance to develop naturally, but instead of an explorative radial development that deepened her character, they focused on one aspect of her character and that developed her in a linear way that only served to one-dimensionalize her. It emphasized one aspect of her basically. After Command, if you were asked who Krystal was you'd say, "She is/was Fox's girlfriend and all her actions are related to that fact". Wouldn't it be more interesting if you could say, "She doesn't like rap music but she likes jazz, she has a hard time understanding all the techy stuff Slippy does, she has a pet rock on board the Great Fox, she's way too good at poker and once helped pay for ship repairs in a lawless system by running the tables at a casino." And all this could just be fun character tidbits that you could pick up through conversation during a mission. All it takes is another character to reference something about her that we don't necessarily see. We don't have to create a special cutscene or open up a subplot just to show that Krystal is good at poker for instance, it only needs to be conveniently mentioned in a referential scene. Maybe they're talking about needing more money and another character can mention Krystal's skill and she could just retort that it was a one time thing. Simple as that, and fun. And that's just an example.

Not saying that your story ideas would go the way of Command btw, just to be clear. But you have to take great care not to limit your characters development in other ways just because a plot point is forcing us to encounter one side of them. A game can pull off dramatic story telling and character development as long as there's at least some down time from major story telling and maybe the plot point only occurs a certain way into the story. The benefit of low-concept or non-story related character development is huge. Kid Icarus Uprising is a great example. You think that game would be as enjoyable if the story was the major focus of the game and the characters were simply players in a high-concept drama, only reacting to plot devices? No. People love that game in part because of the superfluous humorous chit chat. A story driven dialogue wouldn't have revealed to us that Pit likes floor ice cream, heh.

I understand that Star Fox generally has a more serious tone than Kid Icarus turned out to have with Uprising, but it's no Final Fantasy either. People genuinely enjoy the back and forth between the Star Fox team when it reveals character. Like Slippy and Falco arguing. We need more of that imo. Adventures gave us a chance to really get some Fox development because it slowed down and allowed Fox to not be constantly stimulated by things trying to shoot him or having to lead a team... and it wasn't story driven. It was moments like when he responds sarcastically to Pepper or jokes with Tricky. These are the character gems in a game.

Also, heavy story building establishes canon that's hard to ignore. It demands chronological references. This makes the games stand less well on their own in general. It also increases the demand for the story points or characters to "move on" in the next game. It's not episodic, but rather more like a saga in a lot of cases, especially when each piece features a major event. This approach worries me too because it can push us away from what we know of Star Fox. I don't want the notion that Star Fox will age and Fox will be replaced by Fox's offspring to be inevitable in a future game. That's just my opinion though and many other people may want big stories that lead to new characters. I personally think there's still so much potential for these current characters and a big story driven game that wants us to believe their parts are over just feels wrong for this series. I thirst for basic natural character development that wont be buried or untouched because of high-concept ideals.
I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post - all of it, including the extra quote in the spoiler-tags.

I love that sort of character-development in games, and it's one of the reasons that I particularly love the Kirby series, as its character-development, which is subtle and done over the long term, is almost entirely a result of handling things as you describe. For example, a recent game, Kirby: Planet Robobot, revealed that King Dedede, who's a pretty hardy fellow to say the least, has a fear of wasps - it was a simple, brief nod to a game from a few years ago (Kirby Triple Deluxe, where the main antagonist was such a creature - and a giant one, at that), and it added a bit more to his character in a charming, relatable way (something that's especially helpful for him, because people often mistake him for being a villain because of how a non-canon spin-off product from some years ago depicted him). It was mentioned only on the pause-screen data for a particular boss, so it didn't need any major exposition that distracted anyone from the then-current game in order to pull it off. The game's intro also showed that he enjoys playing chess (something that suits him down to the ground, going by events from some much older games). The Kirby series is full of stuff like that (and Planet Robobot was very rich in it).

It's also one of the reasons that people enjoy the trophies in the Smash series, too, isn't it?

It also reminds me of this retrospective review comparing both the English and Japanese versions of Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back, wherein the reviewer mentions how good the scene that's played during the end-credits is;

After a brief check up on Team Rocket, in which we see Shudo's favorite characters get a happy ending for the first time, we get one of my favorite end credits sequences in a movie. It consists of all the parts that would usually be considered too boring to make it into the show itself: Ash, Misty, Brock and Pikachu walking, walking, walking some more, waiting in a cave for the rain to stop, camping, sleeping, walking, and walking some more. Normally such a thing probably wouldn't come across as particularly remarkable, but the lovely Ghibli-esque backgrounds and the beautiful background song “Together with the Wind” create a truly poignant sequence that expresses the characters' camaraderie and the scope of their journey better than a million episodes of helping a side character's Pokémon overcome its personal quirk ever could.
I'm sure that most people who saw any version of this movie enjoyed this credits-sequence for exactly this reason - it does so much character-development in such a short space of time, without much really happening if you were to boil it down to the basics. (It's even effective in the English version, which played some contemporary pop-songs over the credits, instead of a song that was specifically written for it.)

I really like the idea of Krystal having a pet rock aboard the Great Fox, by the way. That's cute and hilarious. So's the casino being the way that they paid for repairs, because of course she'd be good at poker. :laugh:

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Krystal's been plot-centric in some degree in every game she was in, being a large part of the reason adventures is the way it is today, aswell as being a large reason why fox gathered the spirits. in Assault she was used to allow corneria to be decimated by the aparoids, In Command she's a vehicle for a wealth of the drama in the game, having several endings and a focus in the rest of the story. They could easily do some more with her at any level, powers, character or plot-device.

So what you're saying is have Krystal's backstory be the reward for taking the harder route through hyperspace and use the death of her planet to explain why such portals are littered around?
More that a warp device that was destroyed after being used to go to Cerinia from Lylat and back. It could be deployed in pretty much any sense as part of a plot. Really just a loose concept ment to back my earlier point of just speculation of what they can do with the character compared to what there currently is, Though i guess this is a speculation thread for krystal lol.

In any case I'm curious about the ballot again, we've heard about Krystal's popularity in both japan and america, but i'm curious about the europe ballot. After that retweet with the nintendo girls and apparently their 404 page depicts a star fox joke, aswell as them getting special goodies for Star fox Zero, aswell as smokey knowing a bunch of german krystal fans, infact I think Brownstone is one, It makes me think that NoE has reasons to believe that they have a considerable amount of SF fans meaning that she may have done pretty well across all 3 ballots which is certainly something that could truly standout among other characters in similar places.

Also it's more the series itself should be relevant, not necessarily just the character, And Starfox has been talked about again since Zero and the recent Starfox 2, Hard to say what direction they're taking Smash but I can say it's certainly more tight-lipped than I would like.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post - all of it, including the extra quote in the spoiler-tags.

I love that sort of character-development in games, and it's one of the reasons that I particularly love the Kirby series, as its character-development, which is subtle and done over the long term, is almost entirely a result of handling things as you describe. For example, a recent game, Kirby: Planet Robobot, revealed that King Dedede, who's a pretty hardy fellow to say the least, has a fear of wasps - it was a simple, brief nod to a game from a few years ago (Kirby Triple Deluxe, where the main antagonist was such a creature - and a giant one, at that), and it added a bit more to his character in a charming, relatable way (something that's especially helpful for him, because people often mistake him for being a villain because of how a non-canon spin-off product from some years ago depicted him). It was mentioned only on the pause-screen data for a particular boss, so it didn't need any major exposition that distracted anyone from the then-current game in order to pull it off. The game's intro also showed that he enjoys playing chess (something that suits him down to the ground, going by events from some much older games). The Kirby series is full of stuff like that (and Planet Robobot was very rich in it).

It's also one of the reasons that people enjoy the trophies in the Smash series, too, isn't it?

It also reminds me of this retrospective review comparing both the English and Japanese versions of Pokemon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back, wherein the reviewer mentions how good the scene that's played during the end-credits is;

I'm sure that most people who saw any version of this movie enjoyed this credits-sequence for exactly this reason - it does so much character-development in such a short space of time, without much really happening if you were to boil it down to the basics. (It's even effective in the English version, which played some contemporary pop-songs over the credits, instead of a song that was specifically written for it.)

I really like the idea of Krystal having a pet rock aboard the Great Fox, by the way. That's cute and hilarious. So's the casino being the way that they paid for repairs, because of course she'd be good at poker. :laugh:
Wow, thanks. Glad you liked stuff I said. Naturally, I enjoy sharing my ideas like most people, except probably wordier than most. If I didn't, well, my behavior would be kinda self abusive, lol~

I really like how you compared some of the things I said to simple yet effective and fun story telling in Kirby. And although I haven't personally noticed that as clearly in Kirby games, admittedly not having played too much Kirby in the last decade, I've always loved how they managed to express things so simply in the old games when I think of Kirby in particular. Helps when you're essentially a face with limbs though. Also, Robobot was on a pretty long list of must plays for me. It was the Kirby that interested me the most of any in a long time. And I had one friend in particular that highly recommended it and I trust his opinions. You talking about it just now reminded me that I gotta find some time for that sometime. I've only heard good things.

I do remember that Pokemon ending although it's been years. That's just a really strong outro. Seeing the characters you've been following through a story share normal interactions after having been on their adventure... it's a bit melancholy but also heartwarming. It's like saying good bye. You know their story continues beyond the part told to you.

Recently beat Majora's Mask on 3DS a couple months ago and I really like that thing they do where you see all the villagers celebrating at the end. All these people you couldn't rescue day after day after day. And sometimes you'd do all this stuff for them in their lives only to have to leave them to their fates. It wasn't until so many days that you could finally end that cycle and save them. It's really a powerful story, MM. It's maybe not my favorite Zelda, (though it's never easy for me to pick any of them over any other for the most part anyways), but it's got some of the best character development of NPCs and a really dark and powerful story that I can't deny makes it a definite top tier game. And the music is special of course. But yeah, all that together makes the ending where you see that the people you've gotten to know cycle after cycle are saved, happy, and their simple stories can continue.

Lastly, yeah, it was fun speculating on just cute little ways to grow her character. That was just stuff I randomly came up with mid post back when I originally wrote it. Stuff that would be fun if it were true. But that's just proof that it's not that hard to think of fun easy tidbits to enrich a character so long as there's at least some base character to work with. And it's also proof that Krystal has lots of potential as we all know.

Last edited:

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
As far as powers, Telepathy is just a basic ability that's a subset of psychic powers. In Adventures she could fire a type of energy blast from her body, It was right at the beginning of game (sure it was likely because they had her lost her staff right before near the end of development and didn't care to adjust the next sequence but it still counts) aswell as channeling spirits. I'm going to use F.E.A.R.s Paxton Fettel as a reference as he's one of my favorite characters aswell as him being psychic, He can possess people as he avoided death by using a psychic link and is now a ghost, he has basic telekinesis, can form a psychic shield and can shoot energy blasts from his hands, I consider this fairly basic itself. Telepathy is lesser but that can still do much more with it.

For example they could use it to spy on secure frequency channels, use it to get visceral attacks on bosses which would provide more hit points and damage, or even have her get stronger and impose negative feelings on enemies to cause them panic and break off from targets, or hit each other, etc.

Considering that blast (which i consider spirit energy itself) could be used to give her a form of energy to attack things with on the ground aswell if her staff runs out of energy, or even have her ship be developed to use it which would give her a super damaging attack on enemies.

That's my point, all of the conversation is of what she could be, not what she is. So it's not illogical for people to focus on her sex appeal, seeing as it's one of the few things that are truly already there. It'd be painfully easy for them to expand her and it's something we've all noticed, but nintendo develops gameplay with story being secondary, hence the incredible plot rehashing and why we haven't seen her in the recent games. That's possible to change with the latest information but, like everything else here we just have to wait and see.

Don't worry, I know where you're coming from. I just think that describing Krystal's abilities, as they are, as 'not interesting' doesn't seem right, especially in the SF universe where only Andross and the lost tribe (iirc) had psychic powers. They are certainly far from being fleshed out, but you already listed the 'magical' powers she had in Adventures, and her basic telepathy was put to good use in Assault, at least somewhat. So I think 'not interesting' is probably the wrong term to describe her already existing abilities/powers. It is definitely the right term to describe her personality, though. Btw, the way you described Krystal's use in Assault sounds pretty cruel. I think they had other intentions with that scene than simply 'using' her to allow Corneria to be decimated. But I don't want to start another discussion :)

Yes, I am from Germany, and I can tell you this: Germany LOVES Krystal! When the news about her being absent from Zero reached german gaming websites, most people in the comments were upset about it. Some of them even said they were not going to buy the game because of it. On american websites it was pretty much the opposite. Many of my friends also like Krystal while others at least tolerate/accept her as a part of the franchise, and that's something that many people (especially in America) still refuse to do for some reason.

As for other ideas, I came up with some, regarding the series as a whole. Something I'd like to see is the team actually being shown as mercenaries rather than superheroes. I want them to do real mercenary work in the form of side quests. I also want Fox to be an actual leader, in a way that he (or rather the player) has to make decisions in battle. Another aspect of being the team leader is paper work. I know this sounds boring but I think it would be quite interesting to actually 'manage' the team, whether it's budget, supplies or maintenance. These decisions would also affect the condition of the other team members as well as the vehicles, weapons and so on. That way you would have to spend the money wisely. Same goes for the use of food and supplies. Lastly, I think it would be kinda cool if you could run around the Great Fox between missions, so that you can eat/drink something (decrease in food/supplies), do some training or even take a nap; and I'm not only talking about Fox, but the entire team, so that you can switch characters and see what they do between missions. All of these things would logically have some effect on the characters' condition/mood in battle as well (don't fight on an empty stomach :D). Not to mention that it would also make us feel closer to the team and their daily routine as mercenaries. In Krystal's case, meditating between missions would be a good way to improve and expand her powers. Yeah, so that's some stuff I came up with. In short: Make a Star Fox game with some GTA aspects in it, including Open World. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I really like how you compared some of the things I said to simple yet effective and fun story telling in Kirby. And although I haven't personally noticed that as clearly in Kirby games, admittedly not having played too much Kirby in the last decade, I've always loved how they managed to express things so simply in the old games when I think of Kirby in particular. Helps when you're essentially a face with limbs though. Also, Robobot was on a pretty long list of must plays for me. It was the Kirby that interested me the most of any in a long time. And I had one friend in particular that highly recommended it and I trust his opinions. You talking about it just now reminded me that I gotta find some time for that sometime. I've only heard good things.
I'm glad that I didn't go into too much detail, there, now. :laugh: Kirby: Planet Robobot is indeed a fantastic game - it's well worth your time. So's Kirby Triple Deluxe, too, if you haven't played that one, but it's best played before Planet Robobot, obviously.

Recently beat Majora's Mask on 3DS a couple months ago and I really like that thing they do where you see all the villagers celebrating at the end. All these people you couldn't rescue day after day after day. And sometimes you'd do all this stuff for them in their lives only to have to leave them to their fates. It wasn't until so many days that you could finally end that cycle and save them. It's really a powerful story, MM. It's maybe not my favorite Zelda, (though it's never easy for me to pick any of them over any other for the most part anyways), but it's got some of the best character development of NPCs and a really dark and powerful story that I can't deny makes it a definite top tier game. And the music is special of course. But yeah, all that together makes the ending where you see that the people you've gotten to know cycle after cycle are saved, happy, and their simple stories can continue.
Oh man, yes, Majora's Mask had a fantastically effective ending. Not only in terms of everything that you've mentioned here, but also in how effectively - and wordlessly - it demonstrates an important life-lesson (albeit a somewhat melancholy one, though that suits the tone of the game just fine): No matter how hard you try, you simply can't help every single person - you can only do your best for those that you can help.

It's a really striking game, and its storytelling is top-notch, because it knows when to show, not tell.

Another aspect of being the team leader is paper work. I know this sounds boring but I think it would be quite interesting to actually 'manage' the team, whether it's budget, supplies or maintenance.
You saying this just made me realise that the only time we've ever seen paperwork addressed is at the end of Star Fox 64/Star Fox 64 3D, when you get to put the stamp on the bill to General Pepper. :laugh:

This actually is an interesting thought, though I have no idea about how it could be implemented effectively in a series that's mostly action-oriented.

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, I know where you're coming from. I just think that describing Krystal's abilities, as they are, as 'not interesting' doesn't seem right, especially in the SF universe where only Andross and the lost tribe (iirc) had psychic powers. They are certainly far from being fleshed out, but you already listed the 'magical' powers she had in Adventures, and her basic telepathy was put to good use in Assault, at least somewhat. So I think 'not interesting' is probably the wrong term to describe her already existing abilities/powers. It is definitely the right term to describe her personality, though. Btw, the way you described Krystal's use in Assault sounds pretty cruel. I think they had other intentions with that scene than simply 'using' her to allow Corneria to be decimated. But I don't want to start another discussion :)

Yes, I am from Germany, and I can tell you this: Germany LOVES Krystal! When the news about her being absent from Zero reached german gaming websites, most people in the comments were upset about it. Some of them even said they were not going to buy the game because of it. On american websites it was pretty much the opposite. Many of my friends also like Krystal while others at least tolerate/accept her as a part of the franchise, and that's something that many people (especially in America) still refuse to do for some reason.

As for other ideas, I came up with some, regarding the series as a whole. Something I'd like to see is the team actually being shown as mercenaries rather than superheroes. I want them to do real mercenary work in the form of side quests. I also want Fox to be an actual leader, in a way that he (or rather the player) has to make decisions in battle. Another aspect of being the team leader is paper work. I know this sounds boring but I think it would be quite interesting to actually 'manage' the team, whether it's budget, supplies or maintenance. These decisions would also affect the condition of the other team members as well as the vehicles, weapons and so on. That way you would have to spend the money wisely. Same goes for the use of food and supplies. Lastly, I think it would be kinda cool if you could run around the Great Fox between missions, so that you can eat/drink something (decrease in food/supplies), do some training or even take a nap; and I'm not only talking about Fox, but the entire team, so that you can switch characters and see what they do between missions. All of these things would logically have some effect on the characters' condition/mood in battle as well (don't fight on an empty stomach :D). Not to mention that it would also make us feel closer to the team and their daily routine as mercenaries. In Krystal's case, meditating between missions would be a good way to improve and expand her powers. Yeah, so that's some stuff I came up with. In short: Make a Star Fox game with some GTA aspects in it, including Open World. What do you guys think?
I just like over-the-top powers and abilities, or else really complex abilities. Also I don't see how that's cruel, the aparoids likely knew that attacking Corneria while Star Fox was nearby would end up in a failed attack, so they attacked Sauria, a planet that has little purpose to conquer as they can't utilize the spirits and the dinosaurs aren't useful for conquering other planets, calling the team to the planet and leaving Corneria open for attack, regardless of this actually being the case this was the end result and her telepathy was how they noticed. It was also a way to nod to adventures aswell as the romance subplot too which was nice lol.

Also I don't think we have to worry about the west too much, most of the statements in favor of Zero were before it came out, post-zero people were realizing that Krystal fans have plenty of ammo to thwart 64 fanatic arguments about their dated formula. Also there are plenty of american Krystal fans, I'd just say they aren't as big on the Star Fox series itself and don't really orbit gaming sites.

Also speaking of mercenary work, they could take inspiration from my favorite mercenary squad, the Greil Mercenaries, from fire emblem or just the game series in general, the series has already merged strategy elements and turn-based elements with live-action combat in SF before why not simply expand on that? Have the team have an amount of money they get from completing mercenary work in an open-world environment, the game keeping it's non-linear direction by adding different options within the main plot and allowing character expansion in side quests aswell as finding upgrade equipment. For example it could cost money to deploy fighters, repair them aswell as upgrading them, before missions start you can decide how and where to deploy equipment, perhaps you could assistance from other groups in the game, and even make use of placed defense elements, then when combat starts it becomes the gameplay we're largely familiar with, but allowing you a few ways to attack your foes even during combat with the shifting mech. There'd be places in the world that would be better to use the Landmaster and like underwater areas that require the Blue Marine, and then certain base or maybe boarding missions that use on-foot sections, using gear that you've built up and/or bought for members of your team and each had special gimmicks, like Fox has an all-round skill with pretty much everything, Falco is good with explosives which makes him useful for high-volume of enemies, Krystal is good in close-range which lends to her dealing with more skilled singular targets, and Slippy can be used in varying effects, such as being used to hack into things, replenishing equipment and being the link to the Great Fox's teleportation grid to get equipment. While the main missions would give the most money, the sub quests could get you rare equipment and let meet other pilots, like Katt for example that you could recruit into your squad. Giving you more firepower to handle more difficult missions aswell as potentially opening up special quests.

It's quite easy to come up with interesting things to do, but someone really just has to care to pick the series back up, Miyamoto seems to think interesting control options are the only way to make Star Fox, well Nintendo likes interesting gameplay before all that. Perhaps show it as a true mercenary squad simulator or something. Truly the sky is almost the limit for the series, just put something that feels fitting for the subject matter and not just expectations of a series which was never ment to be rigid.

In any case Krystal is basically the second most popular female furry on the net, I'm hoping that general popularity will help her out getting put into Smash this go round. Just more waiting I guess like we're all used to, like waiting on Walmart to fulfill their SNES preorders which they still miraculously haven't been able to do. But the renewed assurance of her popularity is pretty great. Sure you can only go so far with being from Star Fox, but being one of the most popular things from a game should help her inclusion chances.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
I just like over-the-top powers and abilities, or else really complex abilities. Also I don't see how that's cruel, the aparoids likely knew that attacking Corneria while Star Fox was nearby would end up in a failed attack, so they attacked Sauria, a planet that has little purpose to conquer as they can't utilize the spirits and the dinosaurs aren't useful for conquering other planets, calling the team to the planet and leaving Corneria open for attack, regardless of this actually being the case this was the end result and her telepathy was how they noticed. It was also a way to nod to adventures aswell as the romance subplot too which was nice lol.

Also I don't think we have to worry about the west too much, most of the statements in favor of Zero were before it came out, post-zero people were realizing that Krystal fans have plenty of ammo to thwart 64 fanatic arguments about their dated formula. Also there are plenty of american Krystal fans, I'd just say they aren't as big on the Star Fox series itself and don't really orbit gaming sites.

Also speaking of mercenary work, they could take inspiration from my favorite mercenary squad, the Greil Mercenaries, from fire emblem or just the game series in general, the series has already merged strategy elements and turn-based elements with live-action combat in SF before why not simply expand on that? Have the team have an amount of money they get from completing mercenary work in an open-world environment, the game keeping it's non-linear direction by adding different options within the main plot and allowing character expansion in side quests aswell as finding upgrade equipment. For example it could cost money to deploy fighters, repair them aswell as upgrading them, before missions start you can decide how and where to deploy equipment, perhaps you could assistance from other groups in the game, and even make use of placed defense elements, then when combat starts it becomes the gameplay we're largely familiar with, but allowing you a few ways to attack your foes even during combat with the shifting mech. There'd be places in the world that would be better to use the Landmaster and like underwater areas that require the Blue Marine, and then certain base or maybe boarding missions that use on-foot sections, using gear that you've built up and/or bought for members of your team and each had special gimmicks, like Fox has an all-round skill with pretty much everything, Falco is good with explosives which makes him useful for high-volume of enemies, Krystal is good in close-range which lends to her dealing with more skilled singular targets, and Slippy can be used in varying effects, such as being used to hack into things, replenishing equipment and being the link to the Great Fox's teleportation grid to get equipment. While the main missions would give the most money, the sub quests could get you rare equipment and let meet other pilots, like Katt for example that you could recruit into your squad. Giving you more firepower to handle more difficult missions aswell as potentially opening up special quests.

It's quite easy to come up with interesting things to do, but someone really just has to care to pick the series back up, Miyamoto seems to think interesting control options are the only way to make Star Fox, well Nintendo likes interesting gameplay before all that. Perhaps show it as a true mercenary squad simulator or something. Truly the sky is almost the limit for the series, just put something that feels fitting for the subject matter and not just expectations of a series which was never ment to be rigid.

In any case Krystal is basically the second most popular female furry on the net, I'm hoping that general popularity will help her out getting put into Smash this go round. Just more waiting I guess like we're all used to, like waiting on Walmart to fulfill their SNES preorders which they still miraculously haven't been able to do. But the renewed assurance of her popularity is pretty great. Sure you can only go so far with being from Star Fox, but being one of the most popular things from a game should help her inclusion chances.

Did the Aparoids even know that the team has a telepath to sense the distress call? Possibly, as Sauria doesn't seem to have the kind of technology to actually send a distress call, using a device; and the Aparoids were probably aware of that as well. If that's the case, you could also say Nintendo used Krystal and her abilities to actually save Sauria (a, in Slippy's words, defenseless planet), at the expense of Corneria (a planet with a quite strong military) being overrun. Would the team have ever headed to & saved Sauria if it wasn't for Krystal's telepathy? If not, where would the team have gone instead? Orbital Gate? Who knows, but that seems pretty likely. Now that I think about it, your statement was basically correct: The Aparoids probably used both, Sauria and Krystal to distract the team and keep them away from Corneria. And yes, hinting at Adventures and developing that romance side-plot was surely sweet :)

It really seems like Zero changed many people's minds, and now, all of a sudden they start praising Assault. It's such a great thing to watch really. I wonder what kind of surprise Nintendo has in store for the series' 25th anniversary next year. I hope we'll get more than just a post on Twitter. I want another Anime that actually features Krystal. What about you guys?

Last edited:

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Damn you guys have been busy these last two days. I got some work cut out for me. lol
I already got my wish - they stopped ignoring the original SNES continuity (which has always been my favourite of the three), via the SNES Mini. ;)
As long as Krystal is still around in a future installment in that continuity(should they continue along with it) I would be happy to see it continue, because let's be honest 12 years is a bit much to not see a character. :p

It really seems like Zero changed many people's minds, and now, all of a sudden they start praising Assault. It's such a great thing to watch really. I wonder what kind of surprise Nintendo has in store for the series' 25th anniversary next year. I hope we'll get more than just a post on Twitter. I want another Anime that actually features Krystal. What about you guys?
Indeed Zero was the biggest flop of the entire series, and I am sure that that failure has been noted. My big question is how will Nintendo address the glaring issue of Zero? Will they listen to the fans and realize that nearly all of us want something entirely new and that we dont want any more "experimental" franchise? None of us know what they have planned, but one thing is for certain... they definitely know our complaints. The 25th anniversary would be a good time for Nintendo to announce the virtual console for Star fox Adventures and Assault because they just announced gamecube controller support a few days ago and the timing would go hand in hand with the premise that we will see that soon.

As for Krystal in an anime. That would be a good idea. The Battle Begins short was very well received and was arguably better than the game itself. It was very well done and a continuation of it involving Krystal in the next iteration of animation from Nintendo would be more than helpful for the character's lack of appearances of late.

I agree completely that coming up with new ideas for this franchise is easy. Nearly everyone in this thread has good ideas for potential star fox games, but Miyamoto has this weird obsession with experimentation for star fox and it ended up bad with Zero, but that's not the only reason the game bombed obviously(too much to name now). Can experimentation be good? I think it definitely could, but it was just poorly executed with Zero and I, for one, don't want the franchise "experimented" with anymore, I feel like every experiment(aside from console-specific gimmicks) that could have been done with the franchise has been done and any more will polarize people from the franchise even more than now.

Krystal being the second most popular furry on the net is a pretty bold statement, though I can never completely doubt that sentiment I know she is pretty high up there though, so that is still an interesting point. We can only hope that her popularity is enough to get her into Smash. We have been waiting too long. Seeing Nintendo themselves reassure us that the character definitely still exists was enough for me to have my hope of her appearance again rekindled.

Funny thing I found today actually! Apparently the NFL(specifically the 49ers) are asking for smash on switch, and im sure we all remember the article during e3 this year where a nintendo rep had to step up and say enough about smash "we hear you." I can dig it up again if you guys want to see it.

Lastly, yeah, it was fun speculating on just cute little ways to grow her character. That was just stuff I randomly came up with mid post back when I originally wrote it. Stuff that would be fun if it were true. But that's just proof that it's not that hard to think of fun easy tidbits to enrich a character so long as there's at least some base character to work with. And it's also proof that Krystal has lots of potential as we all know.
I am pretty sure we all enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for posting the source and page... the old Krystal thread is a pretty daunting thread to go through(being over 300 pages and all. lol). I know I love reading other fans thoughts on how the games/Krystal could be. This is where speculation becomes fun and interactive... us all throwing our ideas on the table.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Did the Aparoids even know that the team has a telepath to sense the distress call? Possibly, as Sauria doesn't seem to have the kind of technology to actually send a distress call, using a device; and the Aparoids were probably aware of that as well. If that's the case, you could also say Nintendo used Krystal and her abilities to actually save Sauria (a, in Slippy's words, defenseless planet), at the expense of Corneria (a planet with a quite strong military) being overrun. Would the team have ever headed to & saved Sauria if it wasn't for Krystal's telepathy? If not, where would the team have gone instead? Orbital Gate? Who knows, but that seems pretty likely. Now that I think about it, your statement was basically correct: The Aparoids probably used both, Sauria and Krystal to distract the team and keep them away from Corneria. And yes, hinting at Adventures and developing that romance side-plot was surely sweet :)

They would have went to the aparoid homeworld based on the cutscene via the gate so yea basically the Orbital Gate mission, but this time with a much stronger cornerian force, Though I don't know how much easier it would have been with them, the aparoids definitely had their own losses from such a style of invasion which is just effectively ramming troops into each other and using your number advantage to win and their force likely would still be there at the homeworld.

Also considering there was never a mention of the distress signal from the original Star Fox cast when they went to Sauria, the signal is likely psychic/magical in nature and their radio equipment simply wouldn't pick it up. But considering they absorb intelligence from assimilating lifeforms, similiar to the X Parasites, it's possible they acquired information either on Sauria or to attack Sauria to distract Star Fox, the Queen gives us the insight that they take every form of life, but they seem to have some strategic genius, as they baited fox into the base, the queen attempted to disarm the team before attacking them, knowing her invaders were capable of defeating her, aswell as not attacking Sauria first, noting that it really isn't a threat, Naturally it's totally possible they learned who Star Fox was, you wouldn't have to search far for that knowledge. Now I'm not sure if was their strategic prowess or just a happy concidence, Corneria was open for the attack and they went for it.

I'm not totally sure, but it's pretty hilarious, why didn't they pioneer it to begin with? Assault always had the best production values, best voice acting and the most epic soundtrack. Probably the fact that the back-to-back ground segments were a bit of a slog because of how slow-paced they felt.

Also i personally want for them to actually make a Star Fox miniseries, it'd make for good promotional content aswell as standalone media. Still i've had dreams where one existed only to wake up and realize it doesn't exist.

Damn you guys have been busy these last two days. I got some work cut out for me. lol

As long as Krystal is still around in a future installment in that continuity(should they continue along with it) I would be happy to see it continue, because let's be honest 12 years is a bit much to not see a character. :p

Indeed Zero was the biggest flop of the entire series, and I am sure that that failure has been noted. My big question is how will Nintendo address the glaring issue of Zero? Will they listen to the fans and realize that nearly all of us want something entirely new and that we dont want any more "experimental" franchise? None of us know what they have planned, but one thing is for certain... they definitely know our complaints. The 25th anniversary would be a good time for Nintendo to announce the virtual console for Star fox Adventures and Assault because they just announced gamecube controller support a few days ago and the timing would go hand in hand with the premise that we will see that soon.

As for Krystal in an anime. That would be a good idea. The Battle Begins short was very well received and was arguably better than the game itself. It was very well done and a continuation of it involving Krystal in the next iteration of animation from Nintendo would be more than helpful for the character's lack of appearances of late.

I agree completely that coming up with new ideas for this franchise is easy. Nearly everyone in this thread has good ideas for potential star fox games, but Miyamoto has this weird obsession with experimentation for star fox and it ended up bad with Zero, but that's not the only reason the game bombed obviously(too much to name now). Can experimentation be good? I think it definitely could, but it was just poorly executed with Zero and I, for one, don't want the franchise "experimented" with anymore, I feel like every experiment(aside from console-specific gimmicks) that could have been done with the franchise has been done and any more will polarize people from the franchise even more than now.

Krystal being the second most popular furry on the net is a pretty bold statement, though I can never completely doubt that sentiment I know she is pretty high up there though, so that is still an interesting point. We can only hope that her popularity is enough to get her into Smash. We have been waiting too long. Seeing Nintendo themselves reassure us that the character definitely still exists was enough for me to have my hope of her appearance again rekindled.

Funny thing I found today actually! Apparently the NFL(specifically the 49ers) are asking for smash on switch, and im sure we all remember the article during e3 this year where a nintendo rep had to step up and say enough about smash "we hear you." I can dig it up again if you guys want to see it.

I am pretty sure we all enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for posting the source and page... the old Krystal thread is a pretty daunting thread to go through(being over 300 pages and all. lol). I know I love reading other fans thoughts on how the games/Krystal could be. This is where speculation becomes fun and interactive... us all throwing our ideas on the table.
Based on furaffinity, and then other NSFW sites there's a general range of characters that appear frequently, the only one that appears to be higher is Renamon, at nearly perfectly twice krystal's popularity across these sites, It's not really complete data but I'd like to see some data suggesting the first and second going to anyone else.

Also experimentation is necessary with the series, especially one that never truly found a style that people can really agree on, experimentation is why we have Krystal to begin with, they just need to take it more seriously.

A nintendo rep telling us to stop talking about smash? don't be ridiculous, even after it comes out people will talking about it for several years after the fact, addressing us directly as "been heard" will only increase the fervorous nature as we all try to make ourself heard.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Just shy of 25 years is a long time not to see an entire continuity, too. ;)

They most likely won't continue with the original continuity, and as much as I love it, that's for the best - not only would it be difficult to continue something that was made in a completely different time when different approaches to design, production-values, and priorities prevailed (it would just appear disjointed), but most people know the Star Fox 64 continuity better, and it would be in everyone's best interests for them to return to that, both for the fans, and for Nintendo's business, since the brand-recognition is largely centred on that continuity now.

This follows on from an NBA personality asking the same earlier in the week, too. :laugh:

A nintendo rep telling us to stop talking about smash? don't be ridiculous, even after it comes out people will talking about it for several years after the fact, addressing us directly as "been heard" will only increase the fervorous nature as we all try to make ourself heard.
To clarify, both JC Rodrigo (from NoA's Treehouse team) and Doug Bowser (NoA's Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing) responded to interview questions at around that time to say that they can't talk about it right now, and that the fans have been heard. ;)

Last edited:

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
It's not like they couldn't just reintroduce Miyu and Fay to the franchise, It wouldn't be the first time a character(s) was transferred over. I still haven't really been able to play the game so I don't know what else really happened, but the general consensus of fans of the game is they want to see those two again. I wouldn't object, it's not like they'd step on Krystal's toes or anything. But yea I'd have to agree, they likely won't do too much around SF 2, which was just a quick idea to even release it now, But we don't know how much exactly they took with SF2's reception, nor the progress on another SF game, if one would even be in development. So there's still hope in that regard.

Smokey21

Smash Apprentice
Just shy of 25 years is a long time not to see an entire continuity, too. ;)

They most likely won't continue with the original continuity, and as much as I love it, that's for the best - not only would it be difficult to continue something that was made in a completely different time when different approaches to design, production-values, and priorities prevailed (it would just appear disjointed), but most people know the Star Fox 64 continuity better, and it would be in everyone's best interests for them to return to that, both for the fans, and for Nintendo's business, since the brand-recognition is largely centred on that continuity now.

This follows on from an NBA personality asking the same earlier in the week, too. :laugh:

To clarify, both JC Rodrigo (from NoA's Treehouse team) and Doug Bowser (NoA's Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing) responded to interview questions at around that time to say that they can't talk about it right now, and that the fans have been heard. ;)
Yeah you're probably right in that they will continue with the SF 64 continuity because Zero got enough flak for being labeled as a reboot as much as they tried to call it a re-imagining people still called it a reboot and that's what many of the fans didn't want it to be. We will probably get something continuing in that timeline, though I can't say when in the timeline or what we will get, we don't really know anything in regards to nintendo following through with star fox for the time being since the latest game was a "reboot-imagining".

And HAH I think I missed that article I will have to check that one out. lol

It's not like they couldn't just reintroduce Miyu and Fay to the franchise, It wouldn't be the first time a character(s) was transferred over. I still haven't really been able to play the game so I don't know what else really happened, but the general consensus of fans of the game is they want to see those two again. I wouldn't object, it's not like they'd step on Krystal's toes or anything. But yea I'd have to agree, they likely won't do too much around SF 2, which was just a quick idea to even release it now, But we don't know how much exactly they took with SF2's reception, nor the progress on another SF game, if one would even be in development. So there's still hope in that regard.
With the SNES classic introduction they basically became canon so I am sure we will see them again someday. The anniversary is coming up in a few months so I am sure we will see then if they choose to acknowledge them then, but I doubt it at least until we hear about what the new latest game is to the franchise we can't be sure what they are going to do with the characters.

Mr. Brownstone

Smash Cadet
Yeah you're probably right in that they will continue with the SF 64 continuity because Zero got enough flak for being labeled as a reboot as much as they tried to call it a re-imagining people still called it a reboot and that's what many of the fans didn't want it to be. We will probably get something continuing in that timeline, though I can't say when in the timeline or what we will get, we don't really know anything in regards to nintendo following through with star fox for the time being since the latest game was a "reboot-imagining".

As far as I know, Zero never got labeled a reboot by Nintendo. It's something that the 'fans' pushed. Same goes for the whole 'Zero has its own timeline/takes place in an alternate universe.' thing. That has never been confirmed in any way and was made up by people who hate all the stuff that happened after 64. These people actually want Zero to be a reboot, so that the stuff they hate is no longer canon, but they entirely ignore the things that were said (Zero being a reimagining), which is basically everything we can go by at this point. If you look up 'reimagining', you'll see that it's something entirely different from a reboot, but is rather pretty similar to a remake. I'm not saying that Nintendo won't reboot the series, but considering the things that were officially said, as well as Zero's poor sales, I think it just wouldn't be wise to do it. There has to be a reason why Nintendo avoided calling it a reboot in the first place. Maybe they first wanted to see how the game does before deciding what the actual purpose of Zero is, if any...

Top Bottom