• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt Parties

Szayel(innerwolf8)

Smash Rookie
This is so stupid. The whole point of online is to play against other people in matches of skill, not just sit around and team up on someone/ do dumb stuff. This sort of attitude doesn't help the online community.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Welcome to basic brawl. Land of the free, home of the taunt parties.

Also Szayel a lot of people probably think the way you do, including me. Sadly nothing can be done about it. I for one love it when all players try to gang up on me. Actually gives me a thrill like no other.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Nothing more hilarious than hauling *** on taunters and seeing how butthurt and angry they get.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Theres something oddly humorous I find about your pic, FoxBlaze. Don't know what it is.

Anyways I'm finding more taunt parties again but I'm once again unable to bring myself to attack without reason. Dunno why. I usually have no problem doing so.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This is so stupid. The whole point of online is to play against other people in matches of skill, not just sit around and team up on someone/ do dumb stuff. This sort of attitude doesn't help the online community.
>Assuming there's skill in wi-fi matches.
>Assuming there's a serious competitive wi-fi community.

Well, okay, maybe there is a wi-fi community that's serious about being competitive on wi-fi, but let's not kid ourselves, the online input lag makes competitive matches pointless. At the very least, it's decent practice nonetheless.

Also, I can understand the argument when it comes to playing against someone on your friends list, but in Basic Brawl, you're a lot better off throwing whatever competitive mindset you have down the toilet.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I like taunt parties when I can do a 1 vs 1, spectate a 1 vs1, or fight a crasher. I think its boring to do nothing except taunt. I get very lucky in basic brawl and usually find at least 1 good player in every room i join. I love fighting Zelda's that try to recovery with up b. I either hit them when they land on stage or hit them before the move starts. If im using mk my favorite thing to do is to up b a zelda trying to recovery to the stage with up b.

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
I like taunt parties when I can do a 1 vs 1, spectate a 1 vs1, or fight a crasher. I think its boring to do nothing except taunt. I get very lucky in basic brawl and usually find at least 1 good player in every room i join. I love fighting Zelda's that try to recovery with up b. I either hit them when they land on stage or hit them before the move starts. If im using mk my favorite thing to do is to up b a zelda trying to recovery to the stage with up b.
Well, I don't think taunt parties really involve just taunting. I never see that. People just show off tricks and stuff that they know. If there's one annoying taunter in the room, I just footstool them repeatedly to interrupt their taunts until they get the point.

And I love punishing Din's-Fire-spamming Zelda b**ches that way. I main Peach so it isn't a problem for me anyway because virtually all of them don't realize that I can just NAIR every single fireball thingy and cancel out any effect on me. :smirk:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Well, I don't think taunt parties really involve just taunting. I never see that. People just show off tricks and stuff that they know. If there's one annoying taunter in the room, I just footstool them repeatedly to interrupt their taunts until they get the point.

And I love punishing Din's-Fire-spamming Zelda b**ches that way. I main Peach so it isn't a problem for me anyway because virtually all of them don't realize that I can just NAIR every single fireball thingy and cancel out any effect on me. :smirk:
I try to cancel zelda's side b spam with aerials but i think im doing at the wrong time because it doesnt work for me. Can you please tell me the right time to use the aerial?

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
When I'm in a "complete" taunt party, I'll usually try to do the following, among many other things:

- Go to Frigate Orpheon and perform the Great Aethercide trick with Ike
- Go to Spear Pillar and perform the endless laser beam exploit using Triforce Slash/Great Aether
- Go to Pictochat and perform the earthquake glitch with Kirby as well as various items(most notably Pokeballs and Springs)
- Pick WarioWare, Shadow Moses Island, Port Town Aero Dive or Mushroomy Kingdom(assuming items are on)
- If, Temple is being chosen repeatedly, and I haven't left out of boredom yet, choose Snake and attempt to get my damage up to 999% in the cave of life, pick Falco and get lasers stuck in that one area, or pick Pit and attempt to play arrow tennis with another character with a reflector
- Pick Pokemon Stadium 2 and glitch out with as many transformations as I can(character dependent)
- Pick Pirate Ship and go under the rocks with a character with a stall then fall move

And so on. I like to display all of the exploits I can think of when I'm online, because I agree that just standing in place and taunting is really boring, to be sure.

I try to cancel zelda's side b spam with aerials but i think im doing at the wrong time because it doesnt work for me. Can you please tell me the right time to use the aerial?
Your attack needs to be "active" when Din's Fire explodes, the timing is simple enough.

As long as the attack you're using does more than 8% less than however much damage Din's Fire causes(for example, if Din's does 15% damage, then your attack must do 7% damage or more), you can clank with it and cancel it out. If your chosen attack is too weak, you'll just get hit regardless.

The attack you choose to use also cannot be transcendent, like how all of MK's aerials are, because transcendent moves are incapable of clanking and you can't cancel out any projectiles with those kinds of attacks.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. So if im using lucario I can only cancel zelda's side b if I have enough damage im assuming.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
eh i just air dodge em or spot dodge em

easier adn annoys the noob zelda players just as much when they can't hit with the move :awesome:

Smockers

Smash Apprentice
Your attack needs to be "active" when Din's Fire explodes, the timing is simple enough.

As long as the attack you're using does more than 8% less than however much damage Din's Fire causes(for example, if Din's does 15% damage, then your attack must do 7% damage or more), you can clank with it and cancel it out. If your chosen attack is too weak, you'll just get hit regardless.

The attack you choose to use also cannot be transcendent, like how all of MK's aerials are, because transcendent moves are incapable of clanking and you can't cancel out any projectiles with those kinds of attacks.
Hmm, I think there's something more, though. I would think, based on this criteria, that Peach's bair would cancel out Din's Fire, but it doesn't. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how nair covers up her major hurtboxes or something like that... Compare:

vs.

Bair exposes her head so Din's Fire hits through that. Nair is like one giant Mickey Mouse head circling around her for a second, which covers her sufficiently.

eh i just air dodge em or spot dodge em

easier adn annoys the noob zelda players just as much when they can't hit with the move :awesome:
Not so reliable for me 'cause Peach's air dodge suuuuuucks D;

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
These fools never went to preschool or something because they just don't know how to act. I have no sympathy for friendless misanthropes because they do it to themselves.

Air_King

Smash Rookie
What? I always try to catch a bomb-omb in SD.
*Catch* *Taunt* *Down throw for a suicide*

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I bet none of you have the self-awareness to heed my commentary, even though it would do you good. Learn respect, or live a lonely and fruitless life.

EDIT: I've evolved my attitude, and my game with it. I am :snakebrawl:, silent humorist, layer of mines...friend? Best watch your back...

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Man, I always come back after a reprieve, naively thinking that things will be different. It seems like it's worse than ever. I'm not even talking about maturity, learning respect, etc. at this point, rather how are you not bored out of your freaking skulls after all these years.

Appealing to their sense of humor doesn't even work most of the time. Because they have none. Because they take every KO personally. Because they're ****ing weak.

The source of free KOs increases the crasher's chance to win by an extremely significant amount.
This last bit near the end sums it all up. Why should a taunt party care about win/loss? Your only interest is in a crooked game because you're crooked. In the name of every ostracized child everywhere (who chose not to placate their anger on the innocent in turn and perpetuate the circle of misery), **** you sincerely.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I like Taunt Parties but I like actual Brawls more.
I mostly play them because I don't want to risk fighting 3 really good players.
Though I do enjoy using glitches when i'm on the taunters side.
Puff-up Glitch is the most fun of them all!

The puff-up glitch is very fun to use during Taunt Parties. XD Or as I call it: Gigalypuff!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let's see what Sakurai does to prevent taunt parties.

Taunt parties are ****ing ******** as hell. Why don't you guys go back to mario party where you guys belong cause if you guys haven't notice this is a fighting game.
Lol, Mario Party is much better than a taunt party.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I can take taunt parties. If it annoys me I can just leave the room but I personally enjoy it a bit because i usually get to teach people stuff like DI or cool tricks (Yay falco green shell infinite jumps trick!! :p)

What I can't take is one of those really aggressive guys (why oh why do they always go link??) who suddenly get really cocky when they beat you once, usually in a 4-for-all or when items/SDs/sudden death (hey that's SD too! :p) are around/happen.

I dunno why i get so mad at those players. :p

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
At first I thought taunt parties were dumb. Now I know they are. I was in a group with three taunters, so I attacked and they teamed up on me. Next round I sat, but one of them started to attack me so I fought back and the other 2 joined in against me. The third game I did nothing, the same taunter attacked me and KOed me 3-4 times until he figured out I was going to do nothing. Then I let them do their thing and it was so stupid! They kept doing moves that I could do, and even if I couldn't do something I'm sure I could find it on youtube if I wanted to see it.

A new Smash Bros is coming out. I got my game out to remember why it's fun, but taunt parties ruin the whole experience of fighting games.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
At first I thought taunt parties were dumb. Now I know they are. I was in a group with three taunters, so I attacked and they teamed up on me. Next round I sat, but one of them started to attack me so I fought back and the other 2 joined in against me. The third game I did nothing, the same taunter attacked me and KOed me 3-4 times until he figured out I was going to do nothing. Then I let them do their thing and it was so stupid! They kept doing moves that I could do, and even if I couldn't do something I'm sure I could find it on youtube if I wanted to see it.

A new Smash Bros is coming out. I got my game out to remember why it's fun, but taunt parties ruin the whole experience of fighting games.

^This is an accurate description. Why play a fighting game if you're not going to fight (fair that is)? Its very frustrating that all I find when "trying to play online" is Taunt Parties,literally. I haven't had a legit online fight on brawl in ages Due to TP's. Bad enough that terrible latency was the death of SSBB online, but now Taunt Parties are the final nail in its coffin. And The worst part about TP's is that they gang up on the outsider like a pack of rabid dogs if that person wants to,go figure,fight. TP's really just seem like an excuse for bored players to jump an unexpected player who's actually trying to play the game the way it was meant to be played. It wouldnt be such a big deal if Tp's were a rare occurrence. Hell I'd join in on 1 once in a while if that were the case. But Sadly they're a dime a dozen and most behave exactly as described above.

Kyo Kyle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4468-1456-3061
For those of you that despise taunt parties, get friend codes and stop complaining or go to Team Battles lol. If you're a competitive player looking for tough matches, most of the people you'll find are scrubs, there are some good competitive players. I personally love them because 90% of the time, i can't even get a 1v1 match online, there are always 3-4 people a game, and if you find less than 4 people, the game will likely have random cpus as fillers for the spots. Now why would you wanna fight in a 3-4 player match with lag, especially when lag gets out of hand occasionally, button inputs go through late always online, and sometimes they don't at all. its disappointing, then you have people that will steal your kills in a 3 or more person Brawl, and having more than 2 people, makes things worse when players are attacked by more than one person at a time, so you bounce off of walls, and are knocked everywhere helplessly and struggling, i'd say some reasons like the lag, and other things are the reason online sucks and why people taunt and not fight.

WindLink

Smash Rookie
Dude.. I always thought the whole "bowing down gesture" that players did repeatedly in Online Basic Brawl was just to say "I'm cool with you, I don't want to fight." That's how I saw it and I used it like that until I read these TP articles.. I had no idea people did this on purpose. And now that I think about it, I do remember moments when a player would use the signal repeatedly, and then if I didn't go along with it, the player would attack me along with other players, and now this article just gave me a face palm.. Because I've blindly witnessed so many TP's being done in front of me, and I just dismissed it as a friendly "Sorry for attacking you" kind of thing..

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Brawl players complaining about taunt parties is ****ing hilarious. You morons are basically playing that "anti-tourney" mentality casual players try to shove in your face, "THATS NOT HOW THE GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED, YOU NEED ITEMS AND EVERY STAGE"

"WAAH, THATS NOT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME, STOP TAUNTING, TURN OFF ITEMS, AND FIGHT ME"

midna.

Smash Cadet
people consider me a taunt party crasher but i'm just looking for a good fight, and i love it when taunter parties gang up on me, its a good challenge.

midna.

Smash Cadet

i completely agree, whenever i meet a taunt part i kick their sorry little buts, i just dont understand the point of sitting there and repetedly pressing a one button while standing motionless, i play brawl for a good challenge. and whats even more anoyying is when they try get you to join them...

Top Bottom