• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt Parties

opulentlifestyle

Smash Rookie
Does it seem like players looking to crash a TP target certain characters to start something with more than others? Like, when I'm Olimar or Ganon I usually get attacked more than when I'm ZSS. Granted, the random bouncing armor pieces maybe don't make her the most attractive target....

How do you guys choose who to go after? Character stereotypes? Or just whoever's closest to you?

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Well usually they attacks characters they hate or have problems with before. I definitely see a lot of MKs being chosen along with Lucas. When I got chosen it is usually by Ike and or Peach.

:phone:

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
When approaching a TP I try to find the best player who wants to fight, so I always go straight for the MKs(especially Dark MK), as I am usually MK myself. I also attack Snakes. Space animals seem to like fighting, while feminine characters and Kirbys do not. Kirbys are almost always noobs.

Kirby Color Chart (In order of increasing skill)-

Pink - Noob, doesn't even know how to change color. Will try to gimp you and fail miserably
Yellow - Noob, stupid taunter. Loves his hammer/stone
Blue - Same as yellow
White - Usually above average, more of a fighter. May try to dair spike you on occasion
Green - Green Kirby is just wrong, exterminate any you see
Red - Good Kirby player. Could possibly be me or CK. Watch out

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
I pick the highest level character, or a character that gives me trouble, somebody who is pissing me off, or anybody trying to get a tp started. And rare characters like diddy are first on my list. Player I avoid...I guess only spectators and afc players.

Wiiboy4ever

Smash Rookie
This is informative and all, but I have a few nitpicks.
The best way to deal with this kind of crasher is to send the most skilled taunter(or the taunter who wants to fight them the most) out to fight them, while the other two continue the taunt party.
One: Stay separated!
I cannot stress this one enough; .....
No, no, no, and no. This is a terrible idea. The whole purpose of a taunt party is you work as a team and be cheap and fight together against the crasher. I can't stand it when taunters just sit back and chillax and let the sole taunter do all the work. IMO that's probably the worst kind of taunter. You guys go ahead and flame me for that but it's true.
If their damage is high, you can also charge up a smash attack and kill them in a more flashy way.
No. Jabbing is one thing, but something like this is another. If I accidently KO another taunter, chances are that I attack them back anyway and start a brawl if they try to repay the favor and smash attack me. However, basball bat repay KO's are usually fine as long as they're mutual. Or, for example, Luigi ladderers or Link Bombers, etc.
6. Home-run Contest: The stage from Home-run Contest. It would be an awesome stage to pick if it weren't for one thing: You can't die. Each side goes on past the camera for a long time, and eventually there is a wall. If you get knocked over the wall, you will fall forever. Because of this, the game can't end, and the only way to get out of the game is to leave. It can still be an awesome stage, though, if you want to end the taunt party with, IMO, the funnest hacked stage. It's also good if you have to leave, and want to show everyone one last stage(or if you're just bored of the Taunt Party). Unfortunately, the game often ends with everyone freefalling below the stage... 7/10
This deserves a 0/10 for obvious reasons. IMO There is nothing cool about ending a taunt party with indefinition. Assuming the taunt party wasn't fight-y.
1. NEVER ATTACK SOMEONE UNLESS THEY ATTACKED YOU FIRST. This means that if P2 decides to attack P3, you should NOT attack P2, and if P2 and P3 start ganging up on P4, you should not join in. The reason so many misunderstandings happen in Taunt Parties is because people do not follow this rule.
If my partner is P2, and we get along swimmingly, and P3 wants to come in and attack either one of us, I'm raising hell on P3 if P2 does. If it's like 1/2 hits then I'll probably just attack once or twice and go back to taunting.

And I don't know if this is mentioned here, and I'm sorry for being outrageously blunt but you know what I hate? Lone taunters. Typically chooses Marth/Snake/etc and stand at the center of the stage and do nothing. All the do is hide to themselves, and when one player accidentally hits them or something they go all matrix reloaded and unleash hell on the accidentalist. Oh how I hate those. Or just read this:
Gah, no offense to any Zelda/Peach/ZSS players out there, but how come usually every one I come by as of late has been really stuck-up and snooty? I'm not saying all of them are like that, but a decent majority will just go off to the side every round while everyone else is having fun taunting around, and they act like they're all elegant and stuff. They won't commit suicide like everyone else to even out the score if one person accidentally SD's, they won't commit suicide in Sudden Death, and they go absolutely ape**** on someone if they've accidentally attacked them and act like they can get away with it.

I just had a room like that with this one person switching between all three females and we had about 15 matches total maybe, where this person would do exactly this each and every game. He/she even went out to attack the single person left in Sudden Death (who wasn't even trying to win) one round. Then the next match, as this person was standing off to the side as usual, he/she accidentally got hit with a green shell and immediately attacked me (as I was the closest one nearby, though I wasn't even the one who threw it), then went back to the side and acted like nothing ever happened, back facing me and the other players. I was eventually like, "Okay, screw this," and absolutely demolished him or her (as it turned out he/she sucked) the next round, taunted till the timer went out, then left. I've been seeing this stuff a lot lately and never really did anything about it till now, but yeah, I find it really annoying and arrogant.
Or when you come across two supposed taunters, and they taunt all by themselves, and when you friendly walk up to them and start ducking, then run away from you. And tehre was this one time where I accidentally KO'd one of them (either that, or they SD'd and I got a +1) and then they try to make it even by samshing attack me, I dodge'd, and they ganged up on me. I wouldn't have dodged if they would have done a single jab.

Anyway, off of that tangent, I really love taunt parties and think it's the best thing to do online. :p

Dyclone

Smash Ace
^ Where did you get those quotes from? I never saw that

Kirby Color Chart (In order of increasing skill)-

Pink - Noob, doesn't even know how to change color. Will try to gimp you and fail miserably
Yellow - Noob, stupid taunter. Loves his hammer/stone
Blue - Same as yellow
White - Usually above average, more of a fighter. May try to dair spike you on occasion
Green - Green Kirby is just wrong, exterminate any you see
Red - Good Kirby player. Could possibly be me or CK. Watch out
It'd be fun to get a free fight just for using green!
Ugh, I'm a blue Kirby user in BB... guess people gon lose it.
It only seemed like the skill level increase from Blue to White.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Mostly likely was reading all the pages from months ago to get those quotes. I remember then. I don't really judge the player's skill by the color they pick. Especially Kirby.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Now why on earth would people go stereotyping Kirby now? I never base characters skills on their colors. Although, I happen to see more of fights break out of the "darker" colored characters.

PersonallyIPreferDair

Smash Apprentice
Now why on earth would people go stereotyping Kirby now? I never base characters skills on their colors. Although, I happen to see more of fights break out of the "darker" colored characters.
People stereotype Kirby because Kirby tends to be the go-to guy for unskilled players.

When I first got melee, I thought Kirby's down-b was game-breaking lol
People probably thought the same for Brawl. His hammer is also powerful, so that appeals to the unskilled crowd too.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
That makes perfect sense. Most Kirby's I do see do spam the hammer and rock, which isn't hard to punish at all. The recovery thing I do agree on, also. They can get back from almost any point as long as no one actually hits him.

Wiiboy4ever

Smash Rookie
black zeldas are usually bad news.

black and white kirby's are too. not trying to stereotype, really, but this is pretty much of what I've seen so far.

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
Rule of thumb: Black zeldas ALWAYS causes TPs.
Most falcons will literally spam punch and fail to land a knee.
ganons are good, fight them
ikes are noobish except for certain colors, don't approach
white marths are the only good ones
MKs will always be gay someway, most of them are afraid to gimp

there are always exceptions though

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Black zeldas are also annoying.
Almost all the falcons do that, not all.
Not all ganons are good, most will spam side b.
Nothing to say...
On occasions I meet black marths that are most excellent.
No words to express how gay MK is...

And yes, there are always exeptions.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Actually the green Marths are the best.

Pink MKs think they're awesome for choosing such a cool color.

Default color scheme anything is a very new or pretty good player usually.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
Actually the green Marths are the best.

Pink MKs think they're awesome for choosing such a cool color.

Default color scheme anything is a very new or pretty good player usually.
Nope
Black ones are... the best.

I never met a black Zelda. Kinda glad with how bad it sounds to meet one.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Rule of thumb: Black zeldas ALWAYS causes TPs.
Most falcons will literally spam punch and fail to land a knee.
ganons are good, fight them
ikes are noobish except for certain colors, don't approach
white marths are the only good ones
MKs will always be gay someway, most of them are afraid to gimp

there are always exceptions though
Good you included that last part, because most of those have a lot of exceptions.

99% of noob Ikes use neutral.

People stereotype Kirby because Kirby tends to be the go-to guy for unskilled players.

When I first got melee, I thought Kirby's down-b was game-breaking lol
People probably thought the same for Brawl. His hammer is also powerful, so that appeals to the unskilled crowd too.
LOL at a player who mains one of the most stereotyped characters in Brawl.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Might as well include it anyway:
Good Falco: black guy, possibly tourney player, spams laser and phantasm

Crappy Falco: any race, spams lasers and phantasm, just less effectively.

Also, the Marth argument is slightly amusing. I generally see good ones play black or light blue.

Chico113

Smash Apprentice
why do people even play online if that is all they're going to do? oh well, i just disconnect the entire group if i see a taunt party.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Might I ask what you mean by 'that?':applejack:

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
He means participate in a taunt party. Chico113, don't disconnect the taunt parties, crash them and let them disconnect you. Much more satisfying. Only disconnect yourself if there are no good players and you're constantly winning.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It's in fun, Chico, as well as the fact that some cannot hold their own, and enjoy the chaos it often prompts. I oscillate between the sides of crasher and participant, so I'm pretty conscious of both parties' reasoning.

Also, 'online' is far too inclusive; do not generalize the whole medium, as it's most prevalent in Basic Brawl.:applejack:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Not really. Noobs have been bloodying up the water and it's hard to find good players with so many of them running around.

Although, it's good to hear some TPs are getting *****.

Flame Hyenard

Smash Lord
Whenever I find myself in a Taunt Party, I try to show off a few fun things that can be useful to the character I use at the moment (I mostly begin with Captain Falcon / Ness). Falcon Kick Cancelling and PK Fire Cancelling needs more recognization :(

I remember the day I mindgamed taunters into thinking I was on their side, then ends up chaingrabbing them to the left blastline on Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 as King Dedede. Best part of it, is that I did that after one taunter shot a fully charged Super Scope shot while I wore the Franklin Badge. :awesome:

FIREL

Smash Ace
Whenever I find myself in a Taunt Party, I try to show off a few fun things that can be useful to the character I use at the moment (I mostly begin with Captain Falcon / Ness). Falcon Kick Cancelling and PK Fire Cancelling needs more recognization :(
This... but also the useless stuff that never gets used.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Falcon Kick cancelling is pretty useless. Kick cancelling is vital for Ganon since he has extreme lack of speed but Falcon can merely rush the edge and spike. PK Fire cancelling-LOL.

shadowlinxxx678

Smash Rookie
whenever i play online i mostly see marth players who are crashers who are really good. Then theres the annoying pikachu players who spam down b in which i always want to **** them with kirby

Top Bottom