• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump Off? - GaW control sets

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Post quality is what matters, buuuuuuuuut...
you're lacking in that capacity too.

Penta is nobody's cronie, except G&W.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Nobody needs to ask me.
If I want to say you are as mediocre a poster as NoJ that's up to me.

Gonna call me Zac's cronie now?

Splice

Smash Hero
@UTD

How would be people be doing worse because of Tap Jump Off?
Sure its perfectly easy to Utilt with Tap Jump On, but its easier with Tap Jump Off, and by changing R to Jump we lose none of the benefits that come from Tap Jump On, and it seems really easy to get used to R as jump OoS for me.

It's just a control set that takes very little effort to get used to, and it will be easier to Utilt and you will be able to do the jump after UpB AT with much ease.
It really just depends, do you want to learn to Utilt like a pro, and to be uber careful using it and the Jump After UpB AT, or if you just want to learn to press R for jump when your in sheild, and have a much easier time with the rest.
Am i missing something?

... Holy Crud i haz no Premium Membership anymore! :(

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Let me just say this.

Tap jump on annoys less people.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I was wondering why your name wasn't green anymore =(

Ok so let's assume that using Tap Jump OFF is a good thing because it allows us to use utilt more easily. There's reason #1, imo. Utilt seriously isn't that great of a move. The hitstun it imposes on the opponent isn't big enough to really benefit from and the damage is no where near that of SH nair. But w/e. Let's assume I'm wrong about this. I mean, this isn't that big of a reason anyway.

On to reason #2, this one is just speculation but I bet it's true. Most G&W's who turn tap jump off DON'T add jump to any other button (like you mentioned, Z). This is very very problematic when it comes to being able to UpB OoS. Removing this out-of-shield option is a crucial mistake. This is the main reason I believe a lot of G&W's dont do as well as they could. They don't realize the important of UpB OoS, or more importantly, G&W's "escape game." However, I'm just going to go with your suggestion again and setup my controls so that Z is jump.

And reason #3... which I'm failing to remember now that I've taken the time to write the previous two. Oh well, I'll just bold a point I made before for emphasis.

tl;dr

#1 It's not worth turning Tap Jump OFF just to do a crappy move like Utilt.
#2 It's not worth turning Tap Jump OFF and losing UpB Out-of-shield.
#3 I can't afford to set my Z to jump, I use it to charge my smashes. ONLY using Cstick to execute smashes and charging them with Z is one of my key secrets to doing well with G&W.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Personally, I set my Y button to Special so I can up + XY to up-B OOS with any character.

Splice

Smash Hero
I understand UTD. Makes sense.
I will ask, however, What about R though? If you use Z to grab and charge smashes, and L to sheild, why not make R jump?

The UpB AT is really useful down here in AUS, mindgames snake mains that dont know the MU too well much more than it should.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
1. Really nobody turns tap jump off just for Utilts.
2. Turning tap jump off doesn't make you unable to UpB OoS. You can do it with it off, and you can even change your controls to make it easier.
3. You don't need a custom control and even if you do use one you dont have to use Z to make it easy on yourself.

Praxis' has a good example of a working control configuration, which I may actually take for a spin. You can also use the shoulder trigger you use less if you want.

Tap jump can really **** over SDI attempts, and as people like MK have several multihitting moves I wouldn't want to be compromised in such a way. Ultimately, it comes down to preference though. Whatever works the best for you is the best control setting, I'd say.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I have it on. My thinking is: if people played Melee, which is supposed to be a much more difficult game technically, competently with it on, should not one be able to do it in Brawl?
That's the beauty of custom controls, you're allowed to play however you want. "Because melee did it" is probably the worst excuse I've heard yet.

I voted off.
Turns out I am also pretty curious how that poll will turn out. I dont think turning off tap jump just for utilts is a good idea at all. If anything, the real reason why one would turn it off is for SDIing.

Also, NoJ got what was coming. He should of, in fact, been banned ages ago when he did the same thing to Hylian. He's just a really bad user who trolls a lot. Good player? Sure. Being a good player doesn't excuse the stuff he's done and would continue doing, though.

Good riddance, tbh. Lets hope he stays banned :3
NoJ has been banned too many times to count. He gets unbanned, because EVERYONE should know by now that he doesn't truly hate UTD or mean anything he says. They have two totally different playstyles, so obviously they're going to have conflicting opinions.

And face it, no matter how unbiased anyone is, NoJ gets **** on because UTD is, without a doubt, the leader of these boards. I'm not saying NoJ has a right to spam threads **** talking, but however he approaches the situation, he's likely to end up getting *****ed at anyways.

Although NoJ, if you're reading this, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more civlized.

But everyone, seriously, don't rip on NoJ. He was here long before UTD, he deserves respect too. You guys REALLY don't understand how bad it sucks to be a G&W in MI.
SNAKES EVERYWHERE LOLOL
NoJ plays nearly as amazingly (least last I saw he did) as UTD, but doesn't get jack for credit because he ends up playing Ally or Lain. (which is why he's been inactive in tournies lately)

*everything that thesoviet has said*
trust me man, I couldn't be more happy that somebody else can side with me here on something, finally. But don't be a jerk about it :dizzy:

*Mr. Esc's amazing post in reply to UTD's*
this.

I mean, tbh, I play with it on or off, but if I'm doing worse, I make sure to turn it off.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
That's the beauty of custom controls, you're allowed to play however you want. "Because melee did it" is probably the worst excuse I've heard yet.
lol I guess that's kind of how it sounds? Basically what I meant is that it just seems pointless to turn it off, it might be a bit of a hindrance for someone like Yoshi or maybe Jigglypuff, but not for Game & Watch.

Plus I'd be too lazy to change my controls for tourneys :p

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
leaving it on sounds very good by the way u guys put it lol
plus itd alot less of a hassle in tournies;/

ima leave it off from now on and try to get used to it :p

edit:
tho NoJ's control set seemed more comfortable lol

meh,ima just go with Mr. E and say go with whichever is most comfortable w/ you
no need to force yourself to switch
though leaving it off is the easiest way to go by fact,anything else is just your own preferences

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655

NoJ has been banned too many times to count. He gets unbanned, because EVERYONE should know by now that he doesn't truly hate UTD or mean anything he says. They have two totally different playstyles, so obviously they're going to have conflicting opinions.

And face it, no matter how unbiased anyone is, NoJ gets **** on because UTD is, without a doubt, the leader of these boards. I'm not saying NoJ has a right to spam threads **** talking, but however he approaches the situation, he's likely to end up getting *****ed at anyways.

Although NoJ, if you're reading this, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more civlized.

But everyone, seriously, don't rip on NoJ. He was here long before UTD, he deserves respect too. You guys REALLY don't understand how bad it sucks to be a G&W in MI.
SNAKES EVERYWHERE LOLOL
NoJ plays nearly as amazingly (least last I saw he did) as UTD, but doesn't get jack for credit because he ends up playing Ally or Lain. (which is why he's been inactive in tournies lately)

trust me man, I couldn't be more happy that somebody else can side with me here on something, finally. But don't be a jerk about it :dizzy:

this.

I mean, tbh, I play with it on or off, but if I'm doing worse, I make sure to turn it off.
Michigan smashers gotta keep togethor man. But yeah I let thesoviet take over sometimes and I get a little trolly. But I gotta appreciate a good trolls work, NOJ is to pro.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
NoJ should be and stay banned because of constant trolling. I don't care if he isn't actually like that. The fact that he spams the boards every now and then with multiple troll threads is just not something we should have to put up with.

There is no "leader of the boards". UTD Zac is a top G&W player and the mod of this section. It doesnt mean we have to agree with everything or even anything he says.

I wouldn't have a problem if NoJ didnt spam. His posts by themselves, however trolly, are tolerable. It's just when he spams multiple threads is when it's too much, and he's done this several times before.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
NoJ should be and stay banned because of constant trolling. I don't care if he isn't actually like that. The fact that he spams the boards every now and then with multiple troll threads is just not something we should have to put up with.

There is no "leader of the boards". UTD Zac is a top G&W player and the mod of this section. It doesnt mean we have to agree with everything or even anything he says.

I wouldn't have a problem if NoJ didnt spam. His posts by themselves, however trolly, are tolerable. It's just when he spams multiple threads is when it's too much, and he's done this several times before.
pleaaasee cry moar. tap jump off btw.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I find it easier to tilt my shield with tap jump off too, and not accidentally jump during SDI (makes me feel safe to attempt to SDI everything; Zac noticed I SDI'd even the first hit of G&W's nair).

I do think tap jump ON is superior, but if you have a difficult time with it, just make sure you come up with a control scheme that lets you up-B OOS with ease and react quickly. In my case, that's Y-special.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I could do either or but I've been known to change it during sets against specific play-styles. I also use Y for grab and L for attack.

Top Bottom