• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap Jump: Is there any reason to leave this on?

Lomyn

Smash Rookie
I'm a fairly new player to Smash, and am hoping to improve my gameplay. I had played melee a little just to screw around back on the GC, but never really got too deeply into it. One of the things that always drove me nuts was how pressing the analog stick upwards served a double purpose: it caused my character to jump, and there were moves stuck in there too. With Brawl (not sure if this option was in Melee) I have the option of turning off the tap jump, giving me easier access to the tilt up moves, which so far has seemed to make controlling the game a lot easier to me. The question I have about this is:

As I learn more about the game and advanced techniques, is it going to cripple my play to not have "up" assigned to jump? More specifically, are there any advanced techniques that you absolutely must not have tap jump off for them to work properly? Or is it just a matter of control preference?

Thanks in advance for any help.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It makes uptilting much easier due to the fact that any tilt of up will work as opposed to the lttle one that doesn't make you jump but still registers as up.

Some people, however, prefer having it on because it makes it easier for them to do certain moves in the air.

It's all about preference. Practice and see how much you like it.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I'm a fairly new player to Smash, and am hoping to improve my gameplay. I had played melee a little just to screw around back on the GC, but never really got too deeply into it. One of the things that always drove me nuts was how pressing the analog stick upwards served a double purpose: it caused my character to jump, and there were moves stuck in there too. With Brawl (not sure if this option was in Melee) I have the option of turning off the tap jump, giving me easier access to the tilt up moves, which so far has seemed to make controlling the game a lot easier to me. The question I have about this is:

As I learn more about the game and advanced techniques, is it going to cripple my play to not have "up" assigned to jump? More specifically, are there any advanced techniques that you absolutely must not have tap jump off for them to work properly? Or is it just a matter of control preference?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I think the only drawback is that usmash dash-cancelling isn't performable when you use the control stick + A, but I only read about that on some random site a month or so ago, so I don't know if it's true. I use the c-stick anyway, so it never affected me.

That said, tap-jump off makes utilts a LOT more reliable and you don't risk losing your second jump if you want to save it after a uair. There's been plenty of times early on when I've accidentally found that I lost my second jump and died while getting consistently jabbed off the edge, despite not pressing the jump button. It's just better to leave it off, you're not risking anything.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think the only drawback is that usmash dash-cancelling isn't performable when you use the control stick + A,
You can still do it with tap jump off. The reason being is cause they actually programmed the upsmashes in brawl to behave that way.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You cannot do usmashes out of shield like normal without it, but if you press up, jump, and A out of shield, you can do a usmash.

Tap jump off also allows you to do uairs and upB moves without using a midair jump. VERY useful for recovery because if you use your UpB move without double jumping and get hit out of it, you can still use the double jump. However, if tap jump is on and you pressjump before you use your UpB move and get hit out of it, the game will thik that you already used your double jump (which you did) and not give it back to you.

darkpheonix

Smash Rookie
never put tap jump on, it's awful.
you lose your second jump if u use a uair and it's much harder to do utilt with it on.
there are very few good effects that come from having the tap jump on.

xcapablancax

Smash Cadet
apparently you're a marth main, so i suggest leaving it on. if its off you wont be able to do your up B out of shield. up b out of shield is a must for marth mains and is worth the risk of leaving tap jump on

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I left tap jump on.

I tried turning it off, but after falling to my death, like, 9 times at under 30%, I decided to stick with it rather than try to reprogram my controller and my head.

The problem I have is that I have to lift up my right thumb and move it over to the x/y button to jump, then move back to initiate an attack. So i'm accustomed to pressing up on the joystick and A simultaneously to attack. Further, when i'm airborne, I feel the same need to be able to air jump and attack at the same time if necessary so I don't lose any fractions of a second to transitioning my thumb between buttons.

The real issue, as I see it, is simply how the gamecube controller is setup. Your left hand is in charge of only two buttons, while your right hand is in charge of five. Your index and thumb on your left hand can operate independently, but your right thumb is in charge of 3 different buttons while your right index finger moderately juggles between Z and R. Heck, I think the middle finger handles R.

And of course, the next generation controller is a freaking brick... don't get me started there. :^p. But tap jump is on for me.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
UpB and Usmash out of shield are more difficult if you don't have tap jump on. You have to input up, jump and B/A in quick succession for it to work. I've been trying to figure out a work-around myself, but it may be better just to leave tap-jump on.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
You can still do it with tap jump off. The reason being is cause they actually programmed the upsmashes in brawl to behave that way.
Very true people, remember this. I've seen one too many times that you can't do hyphen smash/reversed hyphen smash without tap jump on, it's just not true.

Also, you can choice on your own whether to have it on or off, just what you like best I guess.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Like i said earlier, usmashes and UpB moves ARE possible out of shield without tap jump. You just have to squeeze in a jump button.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
I turned my tap jump off to learn short hopping with the Y button when I played Toon Link, which was very helpful. I now use Y primarily. However, I've recently turned tap jump back on after Sliq told me that autocancelling my Dairs with Ganon becomes much easier and much more consistent if I SH with the joystick. Which is true. It seems like spending months working on my tilts with TL and the 'dorf has taught me the proper pressure to apply.

So there is a point.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I can't play right without tap jump on. Tap jump FTW!

Sometimes I find it easier to jump with the stick than any other buttons.

Lomyn

Smash Rookie
I keep seeing "Up B out of shield" in regards to Marth play. This can't be replicated with a quick jump->up+b? Or in regards to using moves out of shielding it simply must be tap jump on?

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
depends on your toon.

personally not a fan of worrying about utilting or jumping :)
as a wolf mainer, its much easier to lagless fair with X

Vro

Smash Lord
Anyone who says you can't upsmash or up b out of shield or any other variants requiring jump without tap jump off is wrong. It just requires an additional input, jump. Instead of just pressing up, press jump, then up, and you can perform the same thing.

D

Deleted member

If you're a beginner I'd suggest trying it out for maybe 2 weeks then trying out the X/Y jump for another 2 weeks to see what you like. (I main G&W, Ike, and Marth and Marth is the only one i use tap jump for)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Here's why some Marth players like to leave tap jump on.

It makes up smashing and up Bing out of shield easier and, most importantly, faster.

Yes you can just press the jump button before pressing up and A/B. But it's actually a little bit faster (and easier) if you don't have to put in that extra command. The trade off is that it's harder to do uptilts and up Bs without jumping (uairs you just c-stick)

So it's true that turning tap jump off can be benificial, but leaving it on has it's benifits as well. When I play Marth, I leave it on because it makes up Bing out of shields faster (and thus easier to use as a punisher). When I play Sonic, I turn it off so I don't jump before I up B. Both methods have their benifits.

Tenshi-kun

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-5951-1874
Well, its all on preference and what you use and who you use. I'm not really ambidextrous, and I'm sad to say that my right hand can do more and has more priorities. Also, am I right in saying that I'll be the only person for miles who uses a nunchuck? I'm sorry, but I like it waaaayyy more than the gc controller. More hand freedom for me, and I love B being on the bottom.

(Btw: When I mean nunchuck, I mean Wiimote + Nunchuck. Saying Wiimote refers to using it sideways, at least to me)

Anywho, for me (using the nunchuck, with a bit of tweaked controls), my tap jump is off. Why? Well, I'm an aerial guy, and I like having my right thumb close to my attack button and my jump button. So my A does A things, and my jump is the down dpad on the Wiimote. My Z button on the chuck is the shield, and my C button is grab (though I normally shield grab, excluding chain grabbing.). And my up and sides on the dpad are quick smashes (kinda like a C stick).

So, to the point. Tap jumping for me is really hard. I never used it nor liked in Melee, and when I found out it was a must in Brawl (before I found out about changing controls, lawl), I was terrible. For me, I'll accidentally tap it and jump and then be open for an attack, and get knocked out, and there goes my jump, and I'm left going WTF at no more jumps. And plus, up tilts are WAY easier in my opinion without the tap jump. But since you're playing Marth, it may be preferable since you'll be on tilts and aerial moves, so your left thumb'll be busy. I don't like it because my left thumb is busy maneuvering, so I don't wanna give it an extra duty of jumping as well. I can play Marth in the air just fine with my set up. All in all, I don't prefer it, and wouldn't recommend it, but I've gotten owned pretty bad by people who make good use of tap jumping.

:D

nuro

Smash Lord
Lol, you guys are dumb.

It's personal preference, plain and simple.

Some people are used to it being on. I keep mine on because I can UpB out of shield (not that u cant without it all u have to do is jump and up if its off...) and sometimes when I just want to jump and do up b all i have to do is press up wait a for a quarter of a sec and press b instead of pressing the jump button and then upb. But I used to have problems with wanting to shortjump and do an upair without jumping again. But if thats a problem u can always use the cstick just make sure u dont jump on a platform and do an unwanted upsmash tho.

O and its a pain to have to change ur settings or transfer ur tag over onto every wii and have to remember to put a tag on. Plus if someone else plays on ur tag they might not want ur settings so it will screw them up and this causes problems in tournaments.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
To entirely honest, i prefer tap jump on for more fluid movement. You cannot immediately influence your direction after your aerials with it on, but with practice your weaving skills will not suffer much, if at all. It seems that everyone is forgetting the concept of keeping tap jump on and still working "x" into the mix during certain points in gameplay. :( Tap jump on allows for more versatility, and I have never had a problem autocancelling wolf's fair (or any other aerial, for that matter) with tap jump set to "on." Simply do the jump and smash the cstick at the same time. As for U-air/U-B automatically using your second jump when done from the first jump, I declare shenanigans. While it's true you can't do it as easily/quickly with tap jump on, it's certainly very easy to get the hang of.

Also, a technique i like to emply with my Ike and several other characters is to do a RAR from a standstill. Simply tilt gently one way and jump at the same time, like a "J" on the control stick. Your turn animation will be invisible as you jump, so you may as well have been standing with your back to the opponent the entire time. xD MUCH harder with tap jump off.

Overall, tap jump "on" for the win. More versatility=better. You have both options available, but it really can be character dependent. All aerials WILL come out quicker from the ground given that tap jump is set to off, though. :(

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
- U-smash and UpB out of shield are easy if you set L to jump.
- Hyphen smashes don't require a jump cancel so tap jump means nothing.
- Yoshi players NEED to have tap jump off. Second jump is too important. Same goes for any character that needs to save their second jumps for recovery.
- Certain characters benefit from tap jump during attacks. Meta Knight can easily combo U-airs with tap jump on. It's possible to do it with it off but it requires a bit more button-monkeying.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
My friends could never Wavedash in Melee because they never used buttons to jump. I did. I still do. It's a matter of preference. I prefer using Utilts instead of doing stuff "quickly" out of shield. Turning tap jump off hasn't negatively affected me, and it only helps me pull off Utilts easier, so that's why I keep it off.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I find certain juggle moves (Meta Knight's consecutive uair) far less effective with tap jumping disabled. I just deal with it, since I rather have tap jumping off.

Lomyn

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the input everyone. It feels like I've got of an uphill battle ahead of me adjusting to this game from the last fighter I really got into (Guilty Gear XX^C), and I'm glad to get good opinions from each side. The versatility of the Tap Jump On seems like it could be good, but I'm having a horrid time trying to short jump / tilt with it. Maybe I just need more practice.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Lomyn, I'd have to agree with you. I usually flick the control stick with the pad of my thumb to short hop, instead of pushing up. Tilts are difficult at first-learn to be gentle and you'll soon be able to tilt without giving it away, first. Just keep in mind...certain characters do benefit more from having it off than others. :)

Lomyn

Smash Rookie
Just did some testing now that I'm not at work anymore. Hitting Jump+B+Up simultaneously let me use Marth's Up+B directly out of shield, so I'd assume the game takes both Jump & Special command at the same time, rather than prioritizing one over the other?

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Just did some testing now that I'm not at work anymore. Hitting Jump+B+Up simultaneously let me use Marth's Up+B directly out of shield, so I'd assume the game takes both Jump & Special command at the same time, rather than prioritizing one over the other?
Jumps cancel the shield, which is why it works with Tap Jump on. Pressing jump and UpB during shield quickly enough will drop the shield (because of the jump) and launch the UpB (because you're still grounded).

With tap jump off and L as jump, you can do the following while shielding...

- L + up + A or c-stick up = shield-canceled up-smash
- L + up + B or b-stick up = shield-canceled up-special

All inputs must be simultaneous

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Keep tap jump on. It is occasionally useful for a lot of characters. The only reason to turn it off is because you find certain things too difficult that way (uptilt mostly) but that's not a very good reason. If something's too difficult, PRACTICE until you can do it. Taking shortcuts will not make you a better player in the end.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
I left tap jump on.

I tried turning it off, but after falling to my death, like, 9 times at under 30%, I decided to stick with it rather than try to reprogram my controller and my head.

The problem I have is that I have to lift up my right thumb and move it over to the x/y button to jump, then move back to initiate an attack. So i'm accustomed to pressing up on the joystick and A simultaneously to attack. Further, when i'm airborne, I feel the same need to be able to air jump and attack at the same time if necessary so I don't lose any fractions of a second to transitioning my thumb between buttons.

The real issue, as I see it, is simply how the gamecube controller is setup. Your left hand is in charge of only two buttons, while your right hand is in charge of five. Your index and thumb on your left hand can operate independently, but your right thumb is in charge of 3 different buttons while your right index finger moderately juggles between Z and R. Heck, I think the middle finger handles R.

And of course, the next generation controller is a freaking brick... don't get me started there. :^p. But tap jump is on for me.

its all a matter of preference.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I thought that you can't meteor cancel with a jump without tap-jump unless you up+B...>_>

I could be wrong.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you can't do anything out of shield with it off, without jumpcanceling and meh at all that.

i'm just used to Melee.

plus I can't play Jiggs or Wario without tab jump, because it helps me manuever them in the air

vote=tap jump

Top Bottom