• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Talking to yourself...

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
I talk to myself alot all of a sudden. It started like when I turned 14 a few months ago, but I feel like I'm overdoing it (if possible). I mean, It's like I laugh at ALL my jokes, While watching T.V. I make a comment and respond to myself, And I think I talk to me like, 8-10 hours a day! I have no internal monologue! (Ex. While walking in the hallway my mouth is like always open..) Am I turning into my own best friend or do I just like the sound of my voice? Anyone else do this?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Give more examples-- like, what do you actually say? Like, when you're watching a DVD, are you like:

"HAHAHA! That was awesome! Rewind it!"
"Okay! ...dammit, I can't find the remote."
"Did you look under the couch?"

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
8-10 hours? I think that could be considered unhealthy...

If you swear at yourself when you do something dumb you definitly have a problem though...

-knocks over glass jar-
"Ahhh -expletive-!! Why'd you do that?!"
"I don't know! It was an accident!"
"-expletive-, you dummy! You're hopeless!"

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
8-10 hours? I think that could be considered unhealthy...

If you swear at yourself when you do something dumb you definitly have a problem though...

-knocks over glass jar-
"Ahhh -expletive-!! Why'd you do that?!"
"I don't know! It was an accident!"
"-expletive-, you dummy! You're hopeless!"

I think thats called manic depressive, I hope you don't do that. Mine is more of a make fun of everything and point out stupid stuff. But I only do it like 2 minutes a day, several seconds at a time.

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Here are some examples.

Watching Hannah Montana:

"Sometimes I just love watching family shows. Calms me down."
"You know what else calms me down? Crack whores!"
Laughter.

"~Random Noises~"
"~Dancing~"
"Omg lolcopters to the 15th degree! Cant believe I did that!"
"I know right!"

And I hope I dont get warned for this one but...

"HOLY N*GGERS BATMAN! THERES A **** IN MY F*CKING AS*HOLE!"
"IT'S MINE YOU F*CKING DUMBA*S"
"~Orgasms and Sex noises~"
Laughter.

Yeah... I know....

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Also, sorry for the double post, but I am not IN THE LEAST depressive. I mean the most depressive thing in my life is I'm a closet gay and get made fun of in school from time to time for being...weird. And I shrug that off. I'm loud and funny and have no feelings, so I cant really be depressed....

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Hmmm... let me think.....

Many times about my secondarys in Brawl is all I can think of now. Like "I love Mario's B-Air but Pokemon Trainers F-Airs are awesome!"

Also, is it weird to think up situations? I was in geography and was like "What if that bi*ch accused me of ****?" or "What if my babysitter was Jimmy Hoffa and was doing my best friend?" o.0

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Do you do it in front of other people? If so, it seems like a desperate cry for attention. =/

Peeze

Smash Master
I ask myself questions and then answer it later.

"Was that 2 shakes or 3?
"you know i cant remember?"
"you think i should do another one just to be on the safe side?"
"probably yeah, i just bought these pants"
"gd, i told you stop spending my money"
"yeah but dillards was having a 40% off sale"
"you mean dillards in the edison mall?"
"no the new one, down by estero, guess who works there?"
"who?"
"taylor"
"taylor riley?"
"no the girl taylor, the one from school"
"oh really. How is she?"
"she's good, she looks like she gained a little bit of weight though"
"yeah she used to work at dairy queen, heard she got fired for stealing food"
"thats a shame, she got me a good deal on these pants though"
"yeah they fit nice, are these the new levis?"
"yeah the new 801 relazed fits"
"oh from that commercial with the 2 kids?"
"yeah, dumb commercial"
"the girl was hot though"
"wasnt she like 12"
"no i think she was like 17"
"no she was definetly 12, i think she was wearing a hannah montana bagpack"
"now your just being silly, why would they put hannah montana crap in a levi comercial"
"idk ur the pedophile"
"oh gd it now i lost track again, was that 4 shakes now?"
"yeah i think we're good to go, these pants are treated with teflon anyways."
"you think i could get my legs teflon'd?"
"why would you want that?"
"it'd be easier to take my pants off, although these pants are pretty comfy. are they new?"
"yeah they were having a sale at dillards."
"the dillards in the mall?"
"no the one by estero, guess who works there"

"

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
I ask myself questions and then answer it later.

"Was that 2 shakes or 3?
"you know i cant remember?"
"you think i should do another one just to be on the safe side?"
"probably yeah, i just bought these pants"
"gd, i told you stop spending my money"
"yeah but dillards was having a 40% off sale"
"you mean dillards in the edison mall?"
"no the new one, down by estero, guess who works there?"
"who?"
"taylor"
"taylor riley?"
"no the girl taylor, the one from school"
"oh really. How is she?"
"she's good, she looks like she gained a little bit of weight though"
"yeah she used to work at dairy queen, heard she got fired for stealing food"
"thats a shame, she got me a good deal on these pants though"
"yeah they fit nice, are these the new levis?"
"yeah the new 801 relazed fits"
"oh from that commercial with the 2 kids?"
"yeah, dumb commercial"
"the girl was hot though"
"wasnt she like 12"
"no i think she was like 17"
"no she was definetly 12, i think she was wearing a hannah montana bagpack"
"now your just being silly, why would they put hannah montana crap in a levi comercial"
"idk ur the pedophile"
"oh gd it now i lost track again, was that 4 shakes now?"
"yeah i think we're good to go, these pants are treated with teflon anyways."
"you think i could get my legs teflon'd?"
"why would you want that?"
"it'd be easier to take my pants off, although these pants are pretty comfy. are they new?"
"yeah they were having a sale at dillards."
"the dillards in the mall?"
"no the one by estero, guess who works there"

"
EPIC ROFL

I wish I could sig this.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I can say I do the same. A LOT. I guess it's a habit I've developed from not being able to make friends.

From what someone mentioned earlier, I might be a bit manic depressive. =/

Just a few minutes ago I was verbalizing how stupid I was for a mistake in my schoolwork. I had worked out a problem on a separate sheet of paper from the one I was going to submit and then when I had copied it, I had somehow managed to copy it down WRONG.

And then I do the same kind of thing after every loss/game (the two are the same at this point) in Brawl. "I fail" and all that stuff.

And then there's the majority of the time where I just talk to myself about... stuff in general. So as I said earlier, I talk to myself A LOT.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I thought I was going to be able to come into this topic and be like "Yeah, I talk to myself too. I'm a weirdo." But I'm not going to say that when your talking to yourself is of a whole different variety.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Talking to yourself is a little different from just talking when no one else is around. I think everyone says things out loud to no one once in a while.

"Ugh, God, I hate this show. There's nothing on TV!"

You're not necessarily telling yourself that—you're just stating it out loud because for some reason it was too important to stay in your head.

Actually talking TO yourself instead of just talking in spite of absence of a listener, like what the OP described, is pretty interesting. I think it's a nifty little quirk, even if the things he talks to himself about are pretty deep in the Forest of ****ing Weird.

So. Go you, you little weirdo!

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I talk to myself, or as Circus said, I talk when there's no one around, occasionally. Usually whenever I'm really hyper.

Unfortunately, people look down upon you and say you're insane if you talk to yourself.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't know if I talk to myself or not, but this thread reminded me that I have to look out for something...

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
I FOUND SOMETHING AWESOME OUT!

I don't talk to myself as much as I think I do. I do it around 2 hours a day, but that includes singing horrendously bad pop songs to myself, which is still weird in itself... And I do do most of it in a humorous fashion. Im not like "Whats the meaning of life?" "Well...." I kinda found out I just think in hilarious.

BTW, Hannah Montana corrupted my brain with subliminal messages of communism and motives of homicide. I like that show.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I don't really talk to myself, but I do ponder a lot(especially late at night when I'm lying in my bed) about conversations I might have with people. I'll think of how to say my sentences the best as possible, then I'll predict what the other person says and think of a retalliation again. Or when I'm not sure I just think of multiple answers. Also, when I have got a story to tell, I'll prepare it so that when I tell it to someone, it'll sound exciting and not dull. So probably, if I ever tell you a story, I have thought of how I would tell you that story beforehand. Just like what I'm telling right now. There have been countless nights where I've thought about how I would tell this to people. Even that last sentence about how there have been countless nights of thinking.

So yeah, this doesn't have much to do with your problem, but I just wanted to tell that I also have conversations in my head. Only I don't have them with myself, but with 'imaginary' real people I know.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
UK, England (We got Brawl late. Get over it.)
I talk out loud regarding some things despite nobody being there. However, as 'Nothing Rhymes With Circus' put, that's pretty average.
I always talk to myself in a litteral way. It can, strangely, relieve some stress I sometimes hold. I may of obtained this strange habit for a relatively acceptable reason, though.
From Sept. 07 - March. 08, I went through a really manic depressive state and went... well, I don't like this term, but I went crazy. I missed seven months of important school time due to it and tried commiting suicide twice. I was ever-so-close to succeeding on one of those occasions. I had to visit a mental institution twice and a psychiatrist quite a lot. It was an extremely hard time. The cause of me spiralling into this state revolved around several large issues, the main one being that I just couldn't accept myself of my sexuality and the such.
I think the talking to myself thing may be something I hold on to now after recovering from that state.

My, I ramble on sometimes, don't I...? T_T

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
I think its pretty normal now. Like I said, I thought singing to myself was also talking, but I guess it isn't. So maybe in my day ~30 min gos to actual talking. "Hmmm..Wheres that report?" "I'm such an idiot..." Stuff like that. Also, I should stop watching Hannah Montana immediately. I sing her old songs like 10 times a day. o.0

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't talk to myself at all...I don't even talk to others very much...

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I talk to myself too much. Been doing it as long as I remember.

I need to stop.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/depression/12522/does-talking-to-yourself-mean-youre-crazy/

http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Talking-to-Yourself

It turns out it's either nothing but habit, or a manifestation of a psychotic problem (losing touch with reality), and the fact that you answer yourself is the most disturbing part. It's fine to talk to yourself occasionally, but you said you even make jokes to yourself or have conversations with yourself/walk through hallways always with your mouth open. It'd be best to get to a counselor of some type.

Top Bottom