• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Tales of a Manakete: the Corrin Video Archives~

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070

Dunno if this belongs here or not, but My Smash Corner has posted a video on Corrin's Combos and Tricks. I'll also post this in the combo thread as well.

D

Deleted member 189823

Not sure if this goes here, but I figured, may as well give it a try. >u>

#3DSBoyz
More jank, actual matches (as well as WiiU matches) coming later.

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
Memes aside, Corrin can be really hard to get some actual stylish kills with, but I was able to do this!

D

Deleted member 189823

"How about DI out of it"
HOW ABOUT ACTUALLY AIRDODGING

D

Deleted member 189823

Kinda shocked no one has posted anything from Ryuga's Corrin yet. 2nd at Landlocked is definitely the best result this character has so far.

Saw the matches against Zinoto on stream. Glad he downloaded him and got rekt, lawl.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
After a hard buster at a monthly last week I almost wanted to quit the game. Instead, I went a local yesterday and ended up taking 2nd and made it to Grand Finals, 3rd time I've ever placed this high. I could've chosen to use my more competent characters and I could have possibly, just possibly done better in the Grand Finals if I did, but since I've been disappointed in my Corrin (as evident in some of my losses here) I chose to sandbag and keep using them anyway for the sake of improvement.

Funkermonster :4corrin: vs Psychedelifox :4mewtwo: (friendly) https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=31m15s
Funkermonster :4corrinf: vs Ezreal :4pikachu:https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=01h08m02s
Funkermonster :4greninja::4corrinf: vs Coco :4mario: https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=01h54m17s
Funkermonster :4corrin::4greninja: vs Shiny :4bayonetta: https://secure.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/55075684?t=02h10m25s

In particular, I had a really hard time with Mario and made some poor decisions every now and then, and while the Pika didn't take a game off me I feel he started to adapt in the end while I didn't and began to gave me a harder time (he misses a jab lock kill and got unlucky, would've taken the set if he didn't). I do not know the Bayonetta MU at all, can't stand fighting her, personally. Really want to improve my Corrin so looking for criticism, any is great as long as you're polite about it.

Last edited:

-Arc-

Smash Rookie
Hey guys Arc and fellow Corrin main here. A little about myself and my scene, I come out of Central Michigan and just recently began going to CMU's Weeklies. Our scene, though small, is highly competitive, seeing the likes of MI's Power Ranked players such as SETHsational and Pulse|Rog. I've been maining Corrin since her release and thought I'd share my take on Corrin. Any and all input is appreciated! If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them! You can find my matches via Twitch.tv/cmusmash under the previous broadcast. You can also find my previous sets at Central Smash's Youtube page. Though I am looking primarily for comments and advice on how to better improve my Corrin, I highly recommend watching the other matches! Here are my sets!

Winner's Round 3: Arc:4corrinf: vs Jab:4dedede:

Winner's Finals: Arc:4corrinf: vs Pulse|Rog:4diddy:

Grand Finals: Arc:4corrinf: vs Pulse|Rog:4diddy:

Disclaimer: This tournament was Central Smash's first day with new streaming equipment. Most of us have never commentated before.

Last edited:

-Arc-

Smash Rookie

Get at me.
I feel like you are playing against an opponent who is well below your skill level. Reviewing this match would do nothing for you. Was this a tournament set? Friendly? Wifi? Either way, I'd record a match that isn't just bairing someone who doesn't air dodge and then we'd have something to talk about.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Hey guys Arc and fellow Corrin main here. A little about myself and my scene, I come out of Central Michigan and just recently began going to CMU's Weeklies. Our scene, though small, is highly competitive, seeing the likes of MI's Power Ranked players such as SETHsational and Pulse|Rog. I've been maining Corrin since her release and thought I'd share my take on Corrin. Any and all input is appreciated! If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them! You can find my matches via Twitch.tv/cmusmash under the previous broadcast. You can also find my previous sets at Central Smash's Youtube page. Though I am looking primarily for comments and advice on how to better improve my Corrin, I highly recommend watching the other matches! Here are my sets!

Winner's Round 3: Arc:4corrinf: vs Jab:4dedede:

Winner's Finals: Arc:4corrinf: vs Pulse|Rog:4diddy:

Grand Finals: Arc:4corrinf: vs Pulse|Rog:4diddy:

Disclaimer: This tournament was Central Smash's first day with new streaming equipment. Most of us have never commentated before.
Nice sets, I very much liked them. I'd incorporate a bit more bairs into your playstyle however, you barely used them at all. They would make dealing with D3's disjointed fair easier and a safe hitbox to toss out when Diddy kick flips onto stage. You give it a bit of stage control but it's not like you'd constantly be bair'ing. Just my opinion, however. =]

D

Deleted member 189823

I feel like you are playing against an opponent who is well below your skill level. Reviewing this match would do nothing for you. Was this a tournament set? Friendly? Wifi? Either way, I'd record a match that isn't just bairing someone who doesn't air dodge and then we'd have something to talk about.
That's an offense to the other player. >9[ And no, this isn't wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 189823

This is an actual tournament match, from yesterday. Don't have the full set. This isn't me just bopping a FG player, either...

-Arc-

Smash Rookie
Nice sets, I very much liked them. I'd incorporate a bit more bairs into your playstyle however, you barely used them at all. They would make dealing with D3's disjointed fair easier and a safe hitbox to toss out when Diddy kick flips onto stage. You give it a bit of stage control but it's not like you'd constantly be bair'ing. Just my opinion, however. =]
Yeah. You're not the first person to tell me that. Been working on using it more. It's a very strong spacing tool and decent kill option. Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!

-Arc-

Smash Rookie

This is an actual tournament match, from yesterday. Don't have the full set. This isn't me just bopping a FG player, either...
That was a great match on both ends! Lots of good stuff from both you and the Greninja player. Your movement is very fluid. Hope you won the set :)

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
We all had that moment when we Betrayed our Main to see if the grass was greener on the other side. Here is my experience with that.

Take a peek :)

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Some sets worth checking out from some of the best Corrin's:

3rd one is pre-nerf.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Oh, Ryo is pretty much the definite. I mean, apparently he's contested with Ryuga as the best Corrin (also, Ike?). But from what I've seen, I definitely prefer Ryo. In fact, I there, at Come to Papa. Should've definitely linked GFs, it was insane.

With that out of the way, the reason I think Ryo's the best at it is because he has this "aura" in which he instills fear and tries to get a reaction of out of the opponent, instead of simply throwing out moves. If you've noticed, Ryo's actually one of the fewer Corrins that only use Instant Pin when he needs to (something I took from him after that). If you notice, he also plays a lot with a mix of empty hops, cross-over (and falling) N-Airs and sometimes walls out with B-Airs. I don't think Earth or Cosmos deserve that sort of spot. I mean, you can obviously tell they're at the very least solid players, carrying out their fundamentals into the character, but:

- Earth is rather...conservative. A little too much, actually. When I first saw his Corrin, he was possibly my go-to Corrin model during my first versions. Then a guy around here pointed it out, that he's a little too conservative with his moveset. I think it's cool, that unlike other Corrins, he waits and little more, does things only when he needs to and sticks to the more simple options.

- Cosmos, has results, as far as I've heard/seen. Not a fan, personally, but he has that going for him. There's something about him that I am not entirely convinced about, and I can't put my finger on it. I just sound like a poor theorycraft player on Smashboards right now, lol~ Strangely enough, I tend to root for him on his matches (and that's strange, because I usually root against other Corrins even Ryo in Come to Papa)

DC (a known commentator and player around my area, SFL) said that people try to play Corrin as if they were Marth, but in truth, brings out a lot more to the character when played like Ike, in the way that you have to space yourself better and be more patient. Makes sense, actually...

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
With that out of the way, the reason I think Ryo's the best at it is because he has this "aura" in which he instills fear and tries to get a reaction of out of the opponent, instead of simply throwing out moves. If you've noticed, Ryo's actually one of the fewer Corrins that only use Instant Pin when he needs to (something I took from him after that). If you notice, he also plays a lot with a mix of empty hops, cross-over (and falling) N-Airs and sometimes walls out with B-Airs.
I completely agree with you. Ryo has a sort of air to him of "don't mess with me". I'm honestly not sure just how he does it? Maybe the moves he uses? His punishes? When Corrin first released, he immediately made her look like a scary threat.

D

Deleted member 189823

It's his general play, overall. His Ike has a lot to do with it, but people who've seen him play know this kind of stuff. Also, when he plays you, it's his unpredictabality that make people shake on their ground. I've played him a few matches, and it was really cool.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I completely agree with you. Ryo has a sort of air to him of "don't mess with me". I'm honestly not sure just how he does it? Maybe the moves he uses? His punishes? When Corrin first released, he immediately made her look like a scary threat.
Also living in FL and having played him in tourney (though not recently), he just exerts a sort of confidence on you, he's not scared of taking damage or a hit, so people press buttons and he reacts very quickly. He mostly just keeps his cool better than anyone else I know. It allows him to adapt and see habits pretty fast.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

Please do let me know what to work on (the twitch sets I posted awhile back are still viewable too). Pardon the poor quality.

D

Deleted member 189823

These matches are from about 2.5 weeks ago, at Come to Papa Orlando (the tournament Ryo went to GF against MVD, almost resetting the bracket).

Felt a bit on the sloppier side on these ones, despite having had pulled off a few cute little tricks here and there. There was a point where Banana wasn't much of a problem, as a I realized it's very easy to either just Shield and catch it, hit it and catch/vanish it with an aerial and stuff like that. I've been getting a lot more consistent with my Pivot F-Smash this last week (something that's actually easy, but seem to struggle with mid-match), hence the random Dash Attacks (eww, Dash Attack). Found myself throwing out attacks a little too much, obviously to try and wall my opponent out. Also, my B-Airs were kind of sucky, I just tend to throw them out. Liek, I didn't get punished for it, but it didn't seem to do much of anything when you could be doing something else in such a situation.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I've been getting a lot more consistent with my Pivot F-Smash this last week (something that's actually easy, but seem to struggle with mid-match), hence the random Dash Attacks (eww, Dash Attack).
I've been using AB Smash to get more consistent pivot f-smashes.

I really like your play BTW and just wanted to tell you that's I following your youtube and stealing as much as I possibly can. How are you doing those short hop bairs? Mine are generally a little higher so they don't space as nicely. Are you c-sticking them?

EDIT: Oh do you have your own youtube channel?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

I actually got a lot better at them, even if I still miss them. It's just a matter of getting used to it, it's actually pretty easy. I, literally, just turnaround and C-Stick that way. That's it.

Thanks a lot, myan. I didn't pay too much attention at my B-Airs, but they seemed at their apex in my matches? I actually have that same flaw, I just RAR B-Air as soon as I jump, so you get the apex. It's actually another flaw I've been noticing and have been copying Ryo's B-Airs. He tends to wait a bit during the jump and throw them out to bait some sort of reaction and wall out his opponent (pretty good at covering ledge options, surprisingly). I learned how to do some sort of hybrid in which I throw them out and manage to hit short opponents while fast-falling it. The trick is in waiting for the wings to extend fully and THEN you fast-fall. Anyway, all in all, you really just want to mix it up, depending on the situation:

RAR B-Airs (apex of the jump): Arguably my favorite, but probably because it's the only variation I did of the bunch. These are good at simply throwing out a consistent barrage of "respect my area" with un-contested range, safety, and unlike Instant Pin, it maintains momentum and pressure (unlike Instant Pin, the retreating part doesn't leave extra space for the opponent). The drawback, though, is that there is such thing as "spamming" it, something I learned recently. Faster attacks can beat, so watch your spacing (and low attacks).

RAR B-Airs (Fast-fall version): is probably the best because it allows you a bit more mobility in the sense that you're not automatically comitting (since the B-Air has startup) to the move and bait out a sort of reaction from your opponent, also being able to cover low hitboxes and short characters as well as having the pro of being quick. Best one.

Regarding my Youtube channel, I do have one, but either most of them are Brawl matches or Bowser/Yoshi matches from when I mained them. I also have a couple of 3DS Smash matches with Corrins, which are mostly gimmicks and funny stuff, such as:

A friend here is uploading them for me since I don't have a WiiU, yet. I post/ed most of my matches here.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

Please do let me know what to work on (the twitch sets I posted awhile back are still viewable too). Pardon the poor quality.
  • Your Corrin needs to be less passive. You should be short hopping constantly to feel the opponent out, punishing more with Dragon Lunge (I noticed there were many instances where you could punish or at least apply pressure with DL), and just generally have more... energy.
  • On the other hand, you have a tendency to throw out attacks when you don't need to, and you're eating a ton of damage because of it. It's important to pay attention to your opponent is doing, and sometimes not attacking at all is better than throwing out an attack.
  • I noticed you dropped a few follow ups from Fair/Nair. You really need to get good at landing these, since that's where the meat of your damage comes from. Corrin generally deals a ton of damage in short bursts, and you really need to make use of that.
All in all, your Corrin isn't bad but there's definitely room from improvement. Keep it up and definitely watch gameplay of high level Corrin players. You can do it!

You're not as bad with Corrin as you think you are. It just looks like you aren't that comfortable with the character yet. Few things:
  • I noticed you run at your opponent a few times. This isn't something Corrin wants to do. You should be SH more and throwing at aerials. You want to approach, but you want to do it on your own terms.
  • Generally just SH more. I noticed a few FH that got punished... you want to be in the air, but closer to the ground.
It's clear to me that you're a good player when you do stuff like this.

Just keep at it!

These matches are from about 2.5 weeks ago, at Come to Papa Orlando (the tournament Ryo went to GF against MVD, almost resetting the bracket).

Felt a bit on the sloppier side on these ones, despite having had pulled off a few cute little tricks here and there. There was a point where Banana wasn't much of a problem, as a I realized it's very easy to either just Shield and catch it, hit it and catch/vanish it with an aerial and stuff like that. I've been getting a lot more consistent with my Pivot F-Smash this last week (something that's actually easy, but seem to struggle with mid-match), hence the random Dash Attacks (eww, Dash Attack). Found myself throwing out attacks a little too much, obviously to try and wall my opponent out. Also, my B-Airs were kind of sucky, I just tend to throw them out. Liek, I didn't get punished for it, but it didn't seem to do much of anything when you could be doing something else in such a situation.
Your Corrin is pretty solid. You already pointed out the back air thing, but the main thing i'd recommend is that you play a touch less aggressively. I noticed you threw out a lot of airs too. Keep it up man.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead

Any advice or critique on what I can do better in my match? The top player in my region is an Olimar main.

D

Deleted member 189823

Your Corrin is pretty solid. You already pointed out the back air thing, but the main thing i'd recommend is that you play a touch less aggressively. I noticed you threw out a lot of airs too. Keep it up man.
Thank you for the advice, but I think being aggressive is something I will always go for because other playstyles are ugly in my eyes. I don't think it's a bad idea if you can do it well, as there is no such thing as a bad idea, only poorly-executed brilliant ones. As far as Corrin goes, I think he can pull it off assuming I actually think, know my spacing and know when to recognize when to do what (recognizing when to be in the air or Shielding, this is something very important I'm learning).

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Is there anything that can interrupt Pac-man's game play with Corrin? I feel the whole match I have to just shield and wait for a chance to sneak a nair in. Tips??

me :4corrin: vs Girth :4pacman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWw5-aZQ6tU

Sorry for vid quality!
You need to play more carefully against Pacman, and the first step of doing is learning how to shield properly. You have tendency to hold block when Pacman isn't attacking and letting go when he is attacking (in addition to making unnecessary rolls). This is something you seriously need to work on since you took quite a bit of unnecessary damage in that match. Your movements in general are also sluggish and unrefined (prominent example), and this is something you need to work on as well. Your Corrin needs to be more active (utilize short hops, shield dashes, Dragon Lunge) and you need to learn how to capitalize when you land a clean aerial hit (they're ripe for combos);

My advice is to play more, keep recording replays and noting what you do wrong. Paying attention to high level Corrin's should help you out as well. I'm not going to mince words; your Corrin needs a ton of improvement, but you can definitely improve if you keep at it.

Any advice or critique on what I can do better in my match? The top player in my region is an Olimar main.
You basically have all of the Corrin fundamentals down, you just need to work on your mindset against Olimar. You were doing well when you punished his Pikmin toss with Fairs, but you got worked whenever you got impatient or got to close. I noticed a few instances where you froze up too, which made it easier for your opponent to control the pace of the match. Play more patient and reactively, and definitely start using DL more. You shouldn't let him get away with tossing Pikmin for free (assuming its not a purple of course).

I'm fully aware that Olimar is an incredibly frustrating character to fight in practice, and your opponent was really good (you have my condolences, lol), but I also think you can win this matchup. It'll be tough but doable... just think of him as a incredibly difficult final boss in some action game, haha.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
IndigoSSB IndigoSSB Also, one other tip vs. Olimar that I found out about from @Skitrel: FTilt is also a solid option for Olimar as it not only gets them off you, it chews through them with relative ease(Every non-Blue Pikmin that can cling to you will die to FTilt).

https://www.youtube.com/user/dunhamgaming/videos This channel features Promaelia, who got 59Th(out of 513) at Pound 2016. Includes both Singles and Doubles gameplay.

D

Deleted member 189823

Played better than I remembered, huh. Still, regarding the MU and against Ed (best Zelda player ever, for sure), it can kind of go either way. Like, it's obvious Corrin wins considerably, but you have to know how to DI the HOO HAA or you'll die at 80-100, depending on her RAGE. Considering it's Ed, you either win or get rekt. Low percent combos are also a thing, so be careful, watch your DI, your jump and stuff like that.

Top Bottom