• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

MattX20

Smash Hero
Got all the accolades in the game too as well as the preorder bonus stuff so I think I've covered everything for it. Here's hoping Phoenix pulls off his trademark last minute comebacks to take the last spot

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A lot of people are assuming that Takumi is coming back to the main series because Yamazaki left Capcom and i just dont see it.

Takumi said he didnt want to write any more stories with Phoenix wright and his cast and the only time he ever really broke that rule was with the Layton crossover, so unless AA7 stars an entirely new cast like the great ace attorney i just dont see him coming back.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Regardless if Nick doesn't get in, at least the series is going back on track.
If Capcom truly hasn't been able to work out any DLC character deals for this, I would be content with a :ultbrawler: costume, though.

A lot of people are assuming that Takumi is coming back to the main series because Yamazaki left Capcom and i just dont see it.

Takumi said he didnt want to write any more stories with Phoenix wright and his cast and the only time he ever really broke that rule was with the Layton crossover, so unless AA7 stars an entirely new cast like the great ace attorney i just dont see him coming back.
I would assume he's there to act as a creative consultant to whoever helms AA7 (not writing at all), otherwise what has Takumi even done since the GAA games were completed? He doesn't seem to do anything at Capcom anymore.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Regardless if Nick doesn't get in, at least the series is going back on track.
Yeah, like SMT and TWEWY, I feel AA becoming active again is something most fans will be more content with than Phoenix guesting in Smash.

Wasn't AJ development sort of tumultuous because Takumi wanted to focus on a new cast of characters while Capcom wanted Phoenix in it or something along those lines? I can't imagine the guy wanting to focus on Phoenix again when his tale feels like it was completed with T&T, the crossover with Layton was more of a special occasion (it's not even cannon right?).

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Whoever does the writing, I hope they try to take Yamazaki's greatest strength in account, subtle characterization and daring yet respectful character concepts that deviate from the norm
Did we play the same games, Yamazaki's character writing is really inconsistent. (Well, not really true, Yamazaki only did the general outline and the outlandish plot twists)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After doing some cursory research, it seems that Takumi did script supervision for the AA anime, and did some questline stuff for the Monster Hunter mobile game.

But yeah, the bare minimum otherwise. Right now he's like that one roommate that doesn't want to leave.

Yeah, like SMT and TWEWY, I feel AA becoming active again is something most fans will be more content with than Phoenix guesting in Smash.

Wasn't AJ development sort of tumultuous because Takumi wanted to focus on a new cast of characters while Capcom wanted Phoenix in it or something along those lines? I can't imagine the guy wanting to focus on Phoenix again when his tale feels like it was completed with T&T, the crossover with Layton was more of a special occasion (it's not even cannon right?).
Speaking of SMT, there's a Virtual Boy book coming soon, so that should definitely chronicle Jack Bros.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The article doesn't say anything new to be honest, it's just a recap of what transpired from what the hackers stole from Capcom, which we already know for some time.

Obviously with the pandemic basically most of their plans got pushed back. So Ace Attorney 7 being announced relatively soon when it was planned for July/August/September of this year makes sense... that is, if we assume development continued, because if I remember correctly, the documents where this info comes from are from 2019 or so. So who knows if they didn't cancelled, rebooted it or delayed it even more at some point.

Anyway, fingers crossed for AA7 to be announced soon

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As usual, all I want with AA7 is for Athena to actually be treated well. I'm in TGAA2's second case and I can say for a fact that Takumi absolutely would (not that there's any doubt) but that's provided she's even allowed to come back and get used.

I don't mind if Takumi wants to focus on a majority new cast, plus perhaps Ema and a few returners (Robin Newman, please), and honestly I think Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney could be a great way to do that, but either way I just hope the series goes in a good direction. I think it will.

I really enjoy TGAA, and I'm loving TGAA2. It took a while for the second case to click with me, but once I realized it fixed my gameplay-related issues with SOJ and the one nitpick I had with TGAA1, I'm on board. It's daring and interesting.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really would love if Ryunosuke was perhaps a final alt for Nick in Smash, like costume 8 or something. He's a fantastic character so far.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay hot take, i hope Capcom does to Ace Attorney what SEGA did with Yakuza.

Once they exhausted every potential story for Kiryu to go through they started fresh with Ichiban in a new town with new characters. And took the First 6 Yakuza games and labeled them the "Kiryu saga"

There's nothing in the game That contradicts established canon so i think it's fine to leave it to interpretation. It Also helps That the great Ace attorney has very Laytonesque character designs for it's side characters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah Athena deserves better for the next game. I don't think it's going to be a reboot or a complete new cast even if Takumi is the one behind it. Even if he wanted I don't think Capcom would like that idea.

Best case scenario for me would be Athena as the main character for AA7, with a new partner (or a returning character as her partner. maybe Simon? lol) with Nick in a secondary role. Maybe you could play with him during one case, possibly the first one, and then the rest is for Athena.

It would also be a good time to give her more attention now that Apollo is in theory doing his own thing, so they can keep him out of the picture until maybe the final case..

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Did we play the same games, Yamazaki's character writing is really inconsistent. (Well, not really true, Yamazaki only did the general outline and the outlandish plot twists)
I mean **** like Athena heavily hinted at being neurodivergent, Robin's whole plot twist in DD, Ueno's plot twist in SoJ, Sebastian Debeste being surprisingly smart in his own personal interests, that kind of stuff, I feel that his major characters tend to be more likeable than Takumi's from the getgo, though Takumi's typical style is to slowly build up major characters and have a satisfying conclusion

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
To be honest my prefered router for future Ace attorney stuff Is too just have a mostly new cast but have it take Place close enough to the old cast That old characters coming back Is a posible option for cases.

And have Gumshoe come back with the explanation being That he was transfered there from His old station. And then do a joke callback to Edgeworths "That Man" where Gumshoe says "you reminds me of That guy Pal!" When talking to hypothetical new protag.

But none of That Will ever happen lol

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
All I want for AA7 is for it to not be another Phoenix Wright game.
But that's exactly what I think it will be.

Probably a Phoenix game that "thinks" it's Athena's just because she's playable in the last case and is closely related to the crimes even though she's only gonna get 2 playable cases in the whole thing while Wright gets 4 for no reason, and then people are gonna pretend that's just as good as an actual full Athena game and say that's all she needed and she's good to leave the series already because "her arc is closed" somehow even though almost all her development would have happened off screen if that's the case and she would just have gotten the bare minimum that way... And she wouldn't even get the most playable time in a game that's supposedly about her....

The game will introduce an unnecessarily aggresive new prosecutor that we'll be forced to like by the end because they had a sad backstory (that won't even justify or even explain their behavior) and a genius prodigy teenaged (for some reason) assistant girl that's hyperactive, tomboyish, likes the Steel Samurai (and will maybe even be advertised as a third protagonist for no reason even though her actual role will be that of an assistant, but they'll want her to be playable to hype people up so they'll give her 1 filler case because anything more than that would interfere with the plot since she's not even written to be a protagonist in the first place and everyone will say they "did her dirty" because she won't meet the unnecessarily high expectations they set up for her by labeling her as a protagonist instead of an assistant from the get go) and we'll get another Objection 2004 remix for some reason as well. If Takumi directs it people will say it's literally perfect regardless of its actual quality, if he doesn't people will say the franchise is ruined forever and will ignore anything positive about it because modern Ace Attorney (which by definition includes Chronicles, but shhh) sucks.

...If I were to pick, I'm honestly more interested in an Investigations 3, or (unsurprisingly) an actual Apollo game (I loved Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice for what it was, but what it was wasn't that). Both of which will obviously never happen.

If it's gotta be an Athena game, then please please please let it actually be "Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney", not "Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Cykes"

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I just hope that if Athena is made an actual lead they allow her to shine a bit more as an attorney, there's nothing wrong getting help from others, Phoenix certainly did in his trilogy, but having her suffer an emotional break down that pretty much made another character take the helm in all of her 3 cases was pretty sad.
I'll agree with any sentiment of Phoenix taking the backseat in whatever follows as well, I like the guy, I think he can be there in a more supportive role like Mia in the older games, but having him as the protagonist again just doesn't really do anything for me anymore, I don't really feel his character gained much of anything in the games that followed T&T.
But with how long the break has been since 6, I don't expect Capcom to take any big risks, it'll likely be as safe of an AA as it can be. At the least I'm curious to see how they'll handle the presentation now that they have to move to stronger hardware, I think it's safe to say sprites are gone for good, but it's hopefully not just a slightly more polished SoJ (I feel the 3DS games looked fine for the system they came out for, but that won't cut it for much larger screens). I hope Capcom handles this better than stuff like Pokemon or Fire Emblem.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah Nick should take a backseat although he never will for marketing reasons, but it's really needed, Khura-in was made because Nick wouldn't struggle with the law system we all know anymore but he can still have a role as a mentor so you can justify him still being around

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Probably a Phoenix game that "thinks" it's Athena's just because she's playable in the last case and is closely related to the crimes even though she's only gonna get 2 playable cases in the whole thing while Wright gets 4 for no reason, and then people are gonna pretend that's just as good as an actual full Athena game and say that's all she needed and she's good to leave the series already because "her arc is closed" somehow even though almost all her development would have happened off screen if that's the case and she would just have gotten the bare minimum that way... And she wouldn't even get the most playable time in a game that's supposedly about her....

The game will introduce an unnecessarily aggresive new prosecutor that we'll be forced to like by the end because they had a sad backstory (that won't even justify or even explain their behavior) and a genius prodigy teenaged (for some reason) assistant girl that's hyperactive, tomboyish, likes the Steel Samurai (and will maybe even be advertised as a third protagonist for no reason even though her actual role will be that of an assistant, but they'll want her to be playable to hype people up so they'll give her 1 filler case because anything more than that would interfere with the plot since she's not even written to be a protagonist in the first place and everyone will say they "did her dirty" because she won't meet the unnecessarily high expectations they set up for her by labeling her as a protagonist instead of an assistant from the get go) and we'll get another Objection 2004 remix for some reason as well. If Takumi directs it people will say it's literally perfect regardless of its actual quality, if he doesn't people will say the franchise is ruined forever and will ignore anything positive about it because modern Ace Attorney (which by definition includes Chronicles, but shhh) sucks.

...If I were to pick, I'm honestly more interested in an Investigations 3, or (unsurprisingly) an actual Apollo game (I loved Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice for what it was, but what it was wasn't that). Both of which will obviously never happen.

If it's gotta be an Athena game, then please please please let it actually be "Athena Cykes: Ace Attorney", not "Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Cykes"
while you're predicting the future any chance you can find out who number 11 is?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator

This was a funny read – let's hope this doesn't turn it to be true haha

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The last time a Capcom game permanently got rid of a main character, it was Zero 4, but even then it was no less controversial since it was the end of a series.

Hell, Street Fighter still keeps :ultryu: around, even though he's effectively been replaced as the main character and his personal quest stopped impacting the overall setting years ago.

So, I don't think Phoenix would be chucked out.
Even by faking his own death.

At least this series accounts for the passage of time, so I wonder if they'd be daring enough to have Old Man Phoenix.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Phoenix isn't going anywhere. And I'm personally happy with that, but I agree that preferably he should have a secondary role. Him being playable from time to time it's okay and I don't think that's bad at all, in fact that could help the story they want to tell, if it's well executed.

What I'm not really sure it's if they're going to push Athena again. I feel like they might just introduce a new main character to push alongside Nick, with Athena relegated to a secondary role again, which would suck for her.

But yeah Phoenix is going to be around no matter what. The only scenario I could see him not being in a mainline game would be if the series starts selling a lot more, so they're less afraid of getting rid of Nick, and if they have an almost equally popular main character in their hands. Apollo is quite popular but not enough, at least for them, to getting rid of Nick.
And even if we got a new guy that ends being super popular, Phoenix is still the mascot/face of the series. Outsiders to the series don't think of Apollo or Athena when they think of Ace Attorney.

It doesn't help I guess that the games have his name in the title, so folks inevitably associate the series with him. Like, I have known quite a lot of people that haven't played the games calling the series just "Phoenix Wright", some of them didn't even remember the actual name is "Ace Attorney"

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Athena just isn't interesting enough of a character to hold her own fully story.

We know her whole backstory, dual Destinies basically condensed a trilogy's worth o f character growth in one game, to the point where in spirit of justice she's just deadweight and both cases she led we're the worst of their respective games.

Sorry for Athena fans but i just dont see How you can make her interesting at this point.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't think that's an assumption, pretty sure it leaked that Capcom was planning for Takumi to be lead for AA7.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Geez AA7 isn’t even announced yet and you all sound like you’re preparing for the worst
In my defense i felt like Spirit of Justice was the jumping of the shark moment of the Phoenix Wright story.

Ive seen people meme the franchise's current trend of escalating the stakes to absurd degrees and i fully expect them to try going one step beyond what Spirit of justice ended up doing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Meanwhile I'm up for pretty much anything they give me.

Except for AAI1.

Only one I felt was a slog.
Oddly enough I really liked I1, sure, the final case was ludicrously long which is probably the best example of your issue but maybe it's me, but I found that really cool, especially the final confrontation. I do wonder how you feel about GAA though because I found the first game to be ridiculously slow even though I beat 3 cases in 1 day

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Amazon refuses To ship out my pre order, it's supposed to be here the day after tomorrow but they never Sent it out.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
and both cases she led we're the worst of their respective games.
Disagree on this, not because I particularly like either of Athenas cases, but I found the Monstrous Turnabout to be a far more convoluted, nigh unfollowable mess than Turnabout Academy, and while Turnabout Storyteller is the most pointless case in the franchise with the worst possible timing (seriously, who thought adding this filler case was a good idea with how the previous case finished? Feels like trying to hit the 5 cases quota that started with T&T), I'll still take it over Revolution trying its hardest to relive some of the franchise most memorable moments and, imo, failing miserably at each of them. The first case also felt like a bigger slog, but tbh I just hate the whole Khura'in arc.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just hope the sales of Great Ace Attorney Chronicles are good enough to get Ace Attorney Investigations 2 localized. I've wanted that game for over a decade now.
I'm assuming it did well enough, apparently the reason my pre order never shipped is because they ran out of copies to ship and had to bring in more from somewhere else.

Also just play the fan translation lol, it's not like these characters will ever come back so the fantranslation names dont matter.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm assuming it did well enough, apparently the reason my pre order never shipped is because they ran out of copies to ship and had to bring in more from somewhere else.

Also just play the fan translation lol, it's not like these characters will ever come back so the fantranslation names dont matter.
Not every one has emulators you know. That, and I'm the kind of person who likes to have a legitimate copy on hand, even if it's digital though I prefer having physical copies by a wide margin

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Here's a fun question for you all, on the chance he gets into Smash what should he wear for his alts? Also, any hopes soundtrack-wide?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Here's a fun question for you all, on the chance he gets into Smash what should he wear for his alts? Also, any hopes soundtrack-wide?
1: Phoenix and Maya
2: Edgeworth and Gumshoe
3: Godot and Mia
4: Apollo and Athena
5: Modern outfits
6: Ryu and Susato
And in a perfect world
7: Ghost trick dúo alts from Marvel vs Capcom 3
8: Brown for Phoenix and Blue for Maya referencing Layton and Luke
You know protagonist and assistant combos.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
My main hope is that we actually get Edgeworth as a playable alt which would replace Maya with Gumshoe or Kay (unless Maya is heavily used in Nick's moveset which would make things difficult). My most wanted alt for Phoenix is a Ghost-Trick inspired alt like he had in UMVC3.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Just curious since I've never played, but which games in the series are considered "good" and which are considered "bad"? I know it's not that simple because I come from the Danganronpa fandom where a lot of people disagree on which games are good or bad (although everyone agrees the anime is bad). But it seems like a more contentious subject than I thought. Which games are worth buying on the Switch?

Top Bottom