• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I... disagree, actually. Elma could be promoted, since she's a base game Spirit, but there's already some XCX content in the game. Rillaboom is even worse off, because the SwSh Spirits are DLC.

Three Houses had zero content in Ultimate prior to this Challenger Pack. And since it's been confirmed that FP2 will also come with stages and music, I don't really think it helps games that already have content in Ultimate. So even if we do get a few promotions, I don't think there will be many.
Ah, I forgot Elma was a spirit already. Yeah, that'll be a bit more hard to overcome. For Pokemon I still think it's likely because the spirit event only gave us about 4 new pokemon spirits and a few of them were combined ones, so it's possible to get a lot more still.

i never got the mii costume deconfirm thing, i mean theres several playable characters with mii costumes
Base roster or costumes from Smash 4 aren't deconfirms as seen with Chrom, Isabella, and K Rool, but if you get a DLC costume I have a hard time seeing it being a good thing for your chances. Just like how Astral Chain got spirits, I think if you get a new costume or spirit added this late in the game it's probably because they dont have plans for you

If we get nothing next Direct, what are the chances we'll get a duo at E3?
I'll go 50/50. Have a hard time seeing them make us wait 6 months to find out a new character. Think the longest we went was 4 months twice, and we at least knew one DLC pick in one of those(Joker). If we do have to wait that long for a character I'd expect to have a Sakurai presentation on one of them right after

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Thinking about it, I kinda wonder if they went with a non-character for the bonus mii costume this time around to not kill anyones hopes like it happened with Rex.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Base roster or costumes from Smash 4 aren't deconfirms as seen with Chrom, Isabella, and K Rool, but if you get a DLC costume I have a hard time seeing it being a good thing for your chances. Just like how Astral Chain got spirits, I think if you get a new costume or spirit added this late in the game it's probably because they dont have plans for you
Yeah, that seems reasonable. Plus FP1 was done with pre-planned content around the time of the launch period in mind. Now that the FP is cleared, it's anything goes in regards to which fan picks, Sakurai picks and underground faves come next.

In the meantime though, we aren't out of the " base game spirits deconfirm!" zone yet, so it'll take a while still until that gets defied.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess the asset is there and they feel no need to scrap it, doesn't explain why the same couldn't happen with AT.
well they did reuse a fair number of things this time around

If we get nothing next Direct, what are the chances we'll get a duo at E3?
reasonable i think

Thinking about it, I kinda wonder if they went with a non-character for the bonus mii costume this time around to not kill anyones hopes like it happened with Rex.
arguably its a third link costume but yeah it does feel a little odd

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Welp while I wasn't expecting Phoenix for FP5 I guess he has another chance for season 2. With six more characters I would be surprised if we don't get another Capcom character.
Which one? I don't know, I'll confess that I'm a bit divided between Wright and Dante, even Amaterasu if we assume that she has real chances.

I guess I have to be more positive: the more characters I would like to have in Smash, more chances to get one of them lmao

D

Deleted member

Always hope for volume 2 of the fighter’s pass.

Rooting for you Phoenix!

Krankees

Smash Ace
I've decided I'll make a bet /challenge to hopefully light things up. If Phoenix doesn't make it in as a fighter, I will create a cringey Ace Attorney breakdown sequence about it and post it here with some accompanying music.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
hey KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 I think this might hint on the next fighter not being shown till E3? Very open to interpretation I know
No way to tell, truly.

Well, at least we'll get to find out what those rumoured Wii U ports are in the meantime, if we get a Direct sometime late Jan/early Feb.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
So today they revealed Phoenix!!! I'm so happy! Thing is, he looks a little weird...his hair isn't spiky, he wields some weird transforming weapon, he lacks his iconic blue suit, he's got a female variant with some impressive knockers, nice legs, and a hole on her clothing for her tummy...and his stage wasn't a courtroom at all! Looks like a classroom! I didn't see the class trial happening there so I don't know what they were thinking.

Wait a minute, that wasn't Phoenix! They revealed Cuphead today! Good job Studio MDHR, you earned your spot in Smash as the first indie rep.

I jest, I jest...about the second Fighters Pass, I'd imagine we'll get another dual reveal at E3 (if not, a reveal sometime in late winter/spring, and the other character will come over the summer). That will tie us until October-December or so or so where we'll get our third character. Fourth will come sometime in March of 2021, the fifth in July or so, and the sixth and final Ultimate DLC in November-December. If we're getting characters at an evened out rate, expect a character every four months or so.

In other news, I took some time to make a Smash Bros. DLC template for an individual fighter. There's a lot of templates out there, but often with too little good stuff or way too much junk to fill. This one I made has the character, their stage, their special attacks and Final Smash, their music (best part!), and a little description section to summarize their playstyle. Feel free to use it for your purposes.

smashtemplate.png

And, of course, I translated my Wright moveset over to it...

phoenix_moveset.png

Last edited:

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
And, of course, I translated my Wright moveset over to it...

Only thing that confuses me about this moveset is how holding evidence powers up his FS. Cause if you have the FS ready, you wouldn't be able to collect more evidence. Not sure that would be player-friendly. Otherwise, nice concepts.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's kinda frightening that we are completely at square one. Everyone is on the table again. Everything is possible. And there is a chance we might not see a capcom character till the last fighter. Leaving us on the edge of our seats for two years.

Ryu the Weredragon

Smash Rookie
I'm willing to support this one - despite being late to this. :p

I enjoyed Phoenix in UMVC3 and wholeheartedly agree he's basically a Major Nintendo Character now. So come on Nick! Your fans demand it! (Whether you like it or not!)

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
Only thing that confuses me about this moveset is how holding evidence powers up his FS. Cause if you have the FS ready, you wouldn't be able to collect more evidence. Not sure that would be player-friendly. Otherwise, nice concepts.
Good thought, actually. I suppose the player should be prepared before they nab the Smash Ball or fill up that meter. Unintentional complexity, yay.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I thought about the Byleth reveal then I remembered this video that was uploaded months ago.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
I thought about the Byleth reveal then I remembered this video that was uploaded months ago.
At this point, this might be the best way to introduce phoenix. Even over a courtroom trailer lol.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Rumours say Sakurai has some more posters up his sleeve:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
In all seriousness, I'm not that worried and think the Mii costumes are a good sign. Today we mainly got Ubisoft and Capcom costumes. No Rayman costume and no Phoenix costume either. I think Rayman is a pretty likely candidate for fighter pass 2 and I'd be fine with that, imo he deserves a spot (I prefer him over Rabbids and Assassin's Creed).
Ace Attorney is in a similar spot, with the exception of having more competition within the developing company, Capcom. A reveal & release in 2020 or 2021 would make much more sense if Ace Attorney 7 is also released alongside with it. I agree that our biggest competitor seems to be Dante and I think either Dante or Phoenix will get a spirit event (like Resident Evil) and the other one a fighter.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
It's kinda frightening that we are completely at square one. Everyone is on the table again. Everything is possible. And there is a chance we might not see a capcom character till the last fighter. Leaving us on the edge of our seats for two years.
I wouldn't say we're completely at square one again, I doubt a RE character is still in the running which was the biggest roadblock for Phoenix in his inner Capcom competition, and I'm more than convinced the same applies to MH given the devs indifference to feature the hunters in crossovers. The rest is entirely subjective, the only thing I feel personally resetted is Phoenix advantage over Dante given DMC presence on the Switch now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, as long as there's even a little artwork to use left, anyone can get a spirit board, so long as they haven't been deconfirmed or is an unusual case. RIP any chances for more Kid Icarus characters this time though, pretty much all of the art in the series has been used already.

As for Capcom character chances, I agree that not much has actually changed beyond some of its biggest series being out of the running for any playable fighters. The only options from them at this point are series that are various degrees of niche, which really isn't much of an obstacle to start with.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
As far as I see, as long as there's even a little artwork to use left, anyone can get a spirit board, so long as they haven't been deconfirmed or is an unusual case. RIP any chances for more Kid Icarus characters this time though, pretty much all of the art in the series has been used already.

As for Capcom character chances, I agree that not much has actually changed beyond some of its biggest series being out of the running for any playable fighters. The only options from them at this point are series that are various degrees of niche, which really isn't much of an obstacle to start with.
my opinion on KIU (and I guess the franchise as a whole as that was the only game I considered noteworthy) has greatly decayed since 2012, but man, I'd have loved to see Hades at least as part of Palutenas guidances, rip you beautiful jerk.
And yeah, unless we saw some big revival for the likes of Viewtiful Joe, I'm not counting on anything taking a good stance against pizzaboy or rookie attorney from Capcoms repertoire, although I guess that talk on a potential true follow up to Okami might give some hope to some.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
After Pass 1 was announced and Kamiya put up a twitter poll for who people would most like to see in Smash: Dante, V.Joe, Wonder Red, or Amaterasu, I felt all those characters were deconfirmed. Other stuff deconfirmed Dante too, but I really wanted Phoenix in Pass 1 to beat Dante's second chance, but nowww we're here at Pass 2 and I'm a bit less hopeful...! Maybe Dante and Phoenix both make it in? Would definitely be unexpected, but there's also definitely no rule against it. Either way, Phoenix still has a good shot, and phew, stages and music are confirmed for pass 2 fighters, so can still dream about a courtroom stage and some tracks to come along with it <3

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
The scenario in which I am most optimistic about Phoenix's chances, at this point, is the one in which something happens sometime this year that seems to "confirm" Dante. Because this has happened repeatedly throughout FP1's release cycle. He's gonna happen guys, this time for sure!

And Dante just... never materialized.

So the more the fan-base thinks he's in, it seems, the more out he gets. Quick, Kamiya, make a tweet that contains "Dante" and "smash" in the same sentence!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The scenario in which I am most optimistic about Phoenix's chances, at this point, is the one in which something happens sometime this year that seems to "confirm" Dante. Because this has happened repeatedly throughout FP1's release cycle. He's gonna happen guys, this time for sure!

So the more the fan-base thinks he's in, it seems, the more out he gets. Quick, Kamiya, make a tweet that contains "Dante" and "smash" in the same sentence!
Yeah unless there's a leak that's backed by multiple people, or Nintendo screws up again, I just assume that any time Smash fans bandwagon hard for a character they're not getting in. It's happened with Arle, Geno, Dante, Phoenix, Doomguy, and the list goes on.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yeah unless there's a leak that's backed by multiple people, or Nintendo screws up again, I just assume that any time Smash fans bandwagon hard for a character they're not getting in. It's happened with Arle, Geno, Dante, Phoenix, Doomguy, and the list goes on.
I'm giving the mii costume image 2 characters. If Doomguy/Geno don't show up on either of them I am considering the image fake.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's 50/50, I'd say. Rosters generally try to reach an easy balance of hardcore/fan favorites, recent noteworthy characters, and whatever Sakurai likes most at the latest time of the year.

In any case, it's not over until Abby Trott sings (again). So long as characters keep dodging costumes and spirit events.

Now you know exactly how the :ultbanjokazooie: supporters felt about Steve coming all throughout the period for FP1. Needless to say, the crying for wolf got old real fast, but at least the fake Steve fans cleared off and both camps are on peaceful terms nowadays.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
this is probably the case for everytime they bandwagon for someone, but this time in particular felt like people were backing on such stupid or miniscule reasonings like color theory, Sakurai pics on twitter, an announcement about the Switch version from DMC3. I consider my belief and reasonings for why I might consider someone likely far from perfect, but I facepalm everytime I see theories based on such ridiculous ideas.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm putting on the tin-foil hat for this one.

We know how Sakurai is friends with Hideki Kamiya. We also know that Kamiya posted a tweet about Phoenix Wright in smash. We also know that Sakurai uses Twitter a lot. And we know that the fighters for Vol. 2 had already been chosen after fighter's pass 1 ended. Is it possible that Sakurai saw that tweet? I doubt it would influence his decision if he had seen it, but what if it did?

Yeah it probably wouldn't change much about Phoenix's chances.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I'm putting on the tin-foil hat for this one.

We know how Sakurai is friends with Hideki Kamiya. We also know that Kamiya posted a tweet about Phoenix Wright in smash. We also know that Sakurai uses Twitter a lot. And we know that the fighters for Vol. 2 had already been chosen after fighter's pass 1 ended. Is it possible that Sakurai saw that tweet? I doubt it would influence his decision if he had seen it, but what if it did?

Yeah it probably wouldn't change much about Phoenix's chances.
Probably not, though if Shu Takumi actually said that (and it's possible he didn't, considering how "reliable" Kamiya is as a source on Twitter), he's probably at least discussed the idea with Sakurai before. Sakurai and Takumi are probably friends, given that Takumi and Kamiya are and all three have met up before. It probably doesn't matter that much, given that Sakurai knows a lot of devs, and I'm sure most have broached the subject of getting a character in Smash at least once, but hey, it's something.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Probably not, though if Shu Takumi actually said that (and it's possible he didn't, considering how "reliable" Kamiya is as a source on Twitter), he's probably at least discussed the idea with Sakurai before. Sakurai and Takumi are probably friends, given that Takumi and Kamiya are and all three have met up before. It probably doesn't matter that much, given that Sakurai knows a lot of devs, and I'm sure most have broached the subject of getting a character in Smash at least once, but hey, it's something.
I mean, didn't Snake just get in because Kojima requested Sakurai to fulfill his son wish or something? He probably wont do this for every dev he knows, but it has happened before.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I mean, didn't Snake just get in because Kojima requested Sakurai to fulfill his son wish or something? He probably wont do this for every dev he knows, but it has happened before.
Yeah, it's clear there's probably some benefit to getting to talk to Sakurai directly. I would say I also hope that the fact that Kamiya's already got a character in Smash would be a point in Phoenix's favor if Sakurai's looking to do a pal a favor, but... Having like seven characters didn't stop Fire Emblem from getting another, so the inner workings of Sakurai's decision-making process are a mystery to me.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sakurai tends to do favors for friends he holds especially close.

It's like the only reason we got Wii Fit Trainer and Snake.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll say Kamiya doesn't have as much of a say on Dante or DMC anymore as much as Itsuno does, at best Sakurai might consult him on how he'd interact with Bayonetta for a potential reveal trailer, but that's about all I'd expect for his opinion to matter in that regard.
It's like the only reason we got Wii Fit Trainer
Whoa, what's this behind the scenes Smash trivia I never heard about before?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It was a personal request from the Wii Fit team basically.
A bit of correction there - I think Sakurai added Wii Fit Trainer because he wanted someone nobody asked for or ever really considered as a complete WTF.
If I remember it was the Wii Fit team that asked Sakurai to polish up the Wii Fit Trainers' faces for Ultimate compared to how static and lifeless they were in Smash 4.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While Kamiya created Dante he doesn't have anything to do with the character anymore, I mean, that's up to Itsuno and Capcom now. Maybe yes, Sakurai would talk about "hey I'm putting Dante in Smash, you know" with Kamiya, but nothing more.

idk, we don't know how things will end. Maybe we won't get a new Capcom character. Or maybe we will but that character will be the last one in the pass so the wait would be very painful.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While Kamiya created Dante he doesn't have anything to do with the character anymore, I mean, that's up to Itsuno and Capcom now. Maybe yes, Sakurai would talk about "hey I'm putting Dante in Smash, you know" with Kamiya, but nothing more.

idk, we don't know how things will end. Maybe we won't get a new Capcom character. Or maybe we will but that character will be the last one in the pass so the wait would be very painful.
I imagine some would say the reveal could be worse than the wait

Top Bottom