• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Two more years of this...
Also it seems the frequency of the announcements will be even lower, since it's 6 characters in 24 months.....

I May Cry

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Man. This was a heck of an experience to wake up to, I tell you what. On the plus side, I told myself I wouldn't be angry or disappointed unless it was something that directly undercut Phoenix's chances, and as it was not, I'm feeling pretty chill right about now.

If anything, this just reinforces that Nintendo gives a damn about ties to them, and we know one Capcom rep has a big leg up in that department.
Yes but then again., They are pushing DMC on Switch HARD. When we still have no news on if Ace Attorney 7 even exists.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm pretty optimistic right now!

I was actually really happy with Byleth - Three Houses was one of my favorite games of 2019 and means a lot to me, plus it's nice to see that first parties are on the table - AND Phoenix didn't get costumed! We also have six spots left, and this ALSO shows that it's not always going to be new companies! Phoenix and Dante could both realistically be chosen!

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Yes but then again., They are pushing DMC on Switch HARD. When we still have no news on if Ace Attorney 7 even exists.
True, but unless Dante is the first character in the next pass, I don't know if that helps him. DMC3 is the most well-regarded game in the series, and if the PR videos are being honest, DMC5 isn't happening. This would be the perfect time to announce Dante, whereas if it's later and we maybe have DMC4 coming at the time, I'd put his chances at just slightly greater than Resident Evil's were when they got sent to the Spirit Realm, given that a veritable mountain of RE games have come to Switch. They even had that whole surprisingly well-budgeted haunted house trailer for RE ports in a Direct, and... Spirits.

Krankees

Smash Ace
After looking at this pass, I don't know if requests like Master Chief, Sora, or Doomguy seem to be likely anymore. I think the smaller picks like Ryu Hayabusa or Arle have more of a shot.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
and this ALSO shows that it's not always going to be new companies!
I'm a bit confused by this point, did you consider Joker and Hero new companies due to Atlus and Enix?
and if the PR videos are being honest, DMC5 isn't happening. .
No way the Switch can handle DMC5, the downgrades it'd require would likely not be worth it for a port.
After looking at this pass, I don't know if requests like Master Chief, Sora, or Doomguy seem to be likely anymore. I think the smaller picks like Ryu Hayabusa or Arle have more of a shot.
I'd say Doomguy can still happen, the other 2, I agree.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm a bit confused by this point, did you consider Joker and Hero new companies due to Atlus and Enix?
Yes. They had new copyrights added to the scroll at the end. A lot of people were thinking that that may have been relevant, but that proves that's not the case.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
One thing I do actually quite like, is that the fingers actually were a cryptic hint.
If you take fingers up as zeroes and down and ones (not that this makes much sense, i'd have thought the other way around) then that is 17 in binary
Three Houses is the 17th FE game.
Also it is pretty funny.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Ok, putting asides the controversial choice, don't the stage assets look kinda ugly? I guess it's sorta faithful to 3H generally less than spectacular graphics, but darn, this looks rushed.
The video was finalised 2 months ago it will probably look a bit better.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Three Houses was my GOTY last year, so ultimately I'm pretty content with this pick (the moveset variety really helped). Phoenix, I think, has a really good shot at being included next pass. He has a lot of close ties to Nintendo, he's quirky and full of personality, and there's only one guy who stands in his way. Granted that dude is half demon and has murdered lots of demons in his life, but Phoenix beat Von Karma. He'll be fine.

D

Deleted member

I feel really positive about Wright's chances for the second Fighter Pass!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I wouldn't worry about Sakurais condition, at least not anymore than the first FP, things seem more spread out between releases this time around if the expected deadline is precise, so they're likely taking more time to work around each pack.
I guess we're likely to hear whose next on E3, I'm not feeling a dual reveal like last year as there's more time to stretch out releases this time around.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Not gonna lie, for a moment when they started talking about the future of the game, I thought they were about to reveal 2 whole seasons ahead instead of a slightly longer one, would have been nuts if they did so.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I'm just glad that Phoenix survived all Mii costume deconfirmation waves so far. Very happy about the new fighter pass season, however I would have been even happier if Sakurai announced an Echo-pass (for instance 4 new fighters with one Echo each). Phoenix + Apollo (or some other AA-char) would just make so much sense. I just hope we don't get another Pokémon. There are other series like The Legend of Zelda who deserve another rep way more.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I just hope we don't get another Pokémon.
I want to say that won't happen, but honestly after today, the most I can say it might not be a gen 8 one cause gen 9 might already be in the works so Sakurai and the rest of the team would rather work on that instead. Other franchises needing another rep or a rep at all clearly means jack if FE can get all these jank despite being fairly low tier for a while, and even nowadays I wouldn't call it more profitable than something like Kirby. It's definitely not one of Nintendo golden geese contrary to what some might say post Awakening.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yes, finally, I knew we wouldn't necessarily just get third-parties!

I'm confused about something though, what happened to the DMC3 news we were supposed to get today?

Not gonna lie, for a moment when they started talking about the future of the game, I thought they were about to reveal 2 whole seasons ahead instead of a slightly longer one, would have been nuts if they did so.
It would be a tad impolite to get ahead of one's self. Patience is a virtue I'd say, I can expect at least one more season after this.

Also, I'm cool with Gen 9 if the final evo is as cool as Intelleon and Cinderace were. In the meantime though we should definitely at least get a few first-parties from Ninty's other series in the meantime, especially if third party options keep dropping like flies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I'm confused about something though, what happened to the DMC3 news we were supposed to get today?
The DMC news was apparently just a tease for being able to switch styles on the fly, I think?

Also, I really don't understand why people think Byleth helps the case for first parties. I think we're in the exact same spot as before, frankly. :joyful:

Lazyrex

Smash Cadet

It would be a tad impolite to get ahead of one's self. Patience is a virtue I'd say, I can expect at least one more season after this.

Also, I'm cool with Gen 9 if the final evo is as cool as Intelleon and Cinderace were. In the meantime though we should definitely at least get a few first-parties from Ninty's other series in the meantime, especially if third party options keep dropping like flies.
I think the DMC 3 news was that style switching on the fly was coming to DMC 3

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
The DMC news was apparently just a tease for being able to switch styles on the fly, I think?

Also, I really don't understand why people think Byleth helps the case for first parties. I think we're in the exact same spot as before, frankly. :joyful:
I think it helps them a little bit, but not so much that there's going to be a ton of them. 3H got in because it had plenty of content to use for music, stages, and spirits that weren't already in use. I dont think today did anything to help the likes of BWD or Dixie Kong. It did help someone like Elma or Rillaboom.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, I don't think we'll get every third party in the universe either, since they have no problems consigning them to events and costumes if they don't make the cut somehow. What we have to look out for is whether any of the next ones were ballot-influenced.

The biggest question mark right now is whether Metroid Prime 4 factors into any of this.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I kinda got the impression that this was the last DLC for Smash Bros Ultimate.

Considering it's extending DLC to the end of 2021 and the way they added in a sixth character feels like the sixth character was the "stretch" to put in as many characters as possible before the end.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think it helps them a little bit, but not so much that there's going to be a ton of them. 3H got in because it had plenty of content to use for music, stages, and spirits that weren't already in use. I dont think today did anything to help the likes of BWD or Dixie Kong. It did help someone like Elma or Rillaboom.
I... disagree, actually. Elma could be promoted, since she's a base game Spirit, but there's already some XCX content in the game. Rillaboom is even worse off, because the SwSh Spirits are DLC.

Three Houses had zero content in Ultimate prior to this Challenger Pack. And since it's been confirmed that FP2 will also come with stages and music, I don't really think it helps games that already have content in Ultimate. So even if we do get a few promotions, I don't think there will be many.

Krankees

Smash Ace
At this point, I'll take any representation I can get even if it's not Phoenix being a fighter.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Got beat by the style switching part but
I have my doubts given how this season seems like it'll span a whole 2 years~ish with only one extra character compared to the current one, but only time will tell, 3 years past the release date is a lot of time to support a game after all.
Probably because we got a 1st party DLC post :ultpiranha:, which makes sense honestly, I do think jomosensual comment regarding stages and music is compelling as to what might not look so likely regarding 1st parties however.
In any case, I don't think we'll get every third party in the universe either, since they have no problems consigning them to events and costumes if they don't make the cut somehow. What we have to look out for is whether any of the next ones were ballot-influenced.

The biggest question mark right now is whether Metroid Prime 4 factors into any of this.
oh for sure, there's no way Smash would ever cover every single 3rd party dev or franchise throughout its lifespan, significant or not, and the spirit events definitely puts at risk a lot of potential guest characters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh whatever, just wait for the pass to end before assuming when the end comes. I've been through this song and dance twice already and don't feel like arguing about this yet again.

At least the fan rule of first-parties getting jack in terms of major DLC content for this got broken. Baby steps.

For what it's worth, Sak will remain diligent until he's ready to say "that's it, we're closing up shop". With periodic work breaks, of course.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I honestly can't imagine how or why they would spend two years on this round of DLC. I don't expect another one after it, but from a marketing perspective, letting your one-year-old game get two years older and only releasing content half as often after your first pass does earth-shatteringly well, when hype is the entire driving force of Smash, strikes me as... odd.

More likely to me is that that's a placeholder date, either because they didn't like having such an early deadline this time, or because they just have no idea when they want that deadline to be yet.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I honestly can't imagine how or why they would spend two years on this round of DLC. I don't expect another one after it, but from a marketing perspective, letting your one-year-old game get two years older and only releasing content half as often after your first pass does earth-shatteringly well, when hype is the entire driving force of Smash, strikes me as... odd.

More likely to me is that that's a placeholder date, either because they didn't like having such an early deadline this time, or because they just have no idea when they want that deadline to be yet.
maybe they feel these characters/stages will be more complex to develop, maybe they just want to take it easier in developing these characters (lord knows how much crunch might go behind the scenes of a Smash game). It could be a placeholder date, but I don't think it's impossible they're going with a slower pace either.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

They need a lot of time to craft Nick's moveset and make A LOT of new animations just for him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm just glad that Phoenix survived all Mii costume deconfirmation waves so far.
i never got the mii costume deconfirm thing, i mean theres several playable characters with mii costumes

In the meantime, we probably won't have too long to know about FP6 at least, depending on when that one was started on.
wouldnt surprise if we dont hear anything til e3

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
i never got the mii costume deconfirm thing, i mean theres several playable characters with mii costumes

wouldnt surprise if we dont hear anything til e3
I think most of the mii costumes from characters already playable where remnants from Smash 4 1st party characters? And a few more general things like Links tunic. I think the gist is that if a costume themed after a character not playable in the game is added it's meant as some sort of consolation prize that they weren't made full fighters or something (which is very much the role of miis being customizable avatars and whatnot).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think most of the mii costumes from characters already playable where remnants from Smash 4 1st party characters? And a few more general things like Links tunic. I think the gist is that if a costume themed after a character not playable in the game is added it's meant as some sort of consolation prize that they weren't made full fighters or something (which is very much the role of miis being customizable avatars and whatnot).
it just seems like a bizarre double standard, if the whole point of them was consolation prizes why bother keeping the ones for playable characters?

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
it just seems like a bizarre double standard, if the whole point of them was consolation prizes why bother keeping the ones for playable characters?
I guess the asset is there and they feel no need to scrap it, doesn't explain why the same couldn't happen with AT.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
If we get nothing next Direct, what are the chances we'll get a duo at E3?
likely-ish as I imagine they'd want to get about half of this new fighters pass out by 2020 at the very least, and if the December 2021 is just a placeholder then they could very well churn out one more throughout that year.

Top Bottom