• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

Heoj

Smash Ace
I don't like the idea of the original trilogy being included, but do wonder if maybe that's just in Japan.
I mean i would assume you can also just buy it separate, i saw that the collection box includes two different covers, one of the first trilogy, and one of dai gyakuten

cashregister9

Smash Hero

there are even some Screenshots. about the DGS Trilogy

Lets turn this into some very Crack-fueled Smash Speculation Phoenix & Maya Come to Smash to promote this and they have 3 Alternate costumes
-Miles Edgeworth & Kay
-Apollo Justice & Trucy
-Ryunosuke Naruhodo & Susato

This would probably work better if it was just Phoenix by himself but that would be lame...

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Lets turn this into some very Crack-fueled Smash Speculation Phoenix & Maya Come to Smash to promote this and they have 3 Alternate costumes
-Miles Edgeworth & Kay
-Apollo Justice & Trucy

This would probably work better if it was just Phoenix by himself...
That would be a dream come true

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh wow, I can’t believe I never saw the Phoenix Wright thread and didn’t drop in to say “I’m totally on board”. More data breaches should happen to remind me!

Anyway besides my full support, just wanted to drop something for anyone who looked into the leak and was confused by something. You’ll know what it is.

In case you’re wondering why his name is Herlock Sholmes now and want the response for anyone memeing it to high Heaven when it gets announced, here’s the story.

So back in 1910, Maurice Leblanc tried to write the story “Arsene Lupin vs Sherlock Holmes”, starring his own character facing off against the great detective. However as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was still alive and the copyright holder of Sherlock’s name, Leblanc couldn’t write it. So he basically said “screw this I’m doing it anyway” and changed the character’s name to Herlock Sholmes. It’s basically become a shorthand for anyone who wants to make fun of Sherlock Holmes or just wants to use the character without getting involved with it.

It being the Conan Doyle Estate.

The Conan Doyle Estate is known for being... stupid with its copywright holding. Namely, in that the stories of Sherlock Holmes have mostly become public domain by now. All but a few. And because of that, they’re clinging to whatever scraps of money they can still milk from it before it goes fully public in 2033.

This means they like to sue people. Over VERY minor things.

One such thing they like to sue people over is the use of character traits. Ones that didn’t appear until the books they still hold copyright over.

One of these character traits? Sherlock being written “sympthetically”.

They try to claim copyright over a CHARACTER TRAIT.

And I’m not kidding. Literally this year, June 2020, they sued Netflix for the film Enola Holmes for that very reason. Because they were portraying Holmes “too sympathetically”.

So yes, if this leak is true and DGS is being localized for the West and Capcom is changing his name to Herlock Sholmes... that is why. Because it’s just too much hassle to deal with the Conan Doyle Estate, and unless they both pay off the estate AND change Sherlock’s portrayal in the game to suit their demands, it’s easier to just change it.

And now you know.
to be fair netflix should have been sued over that just for making it

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

-Miles Edgeworth & Kay
-Apollo Justice & Trucy

This would probably work better if it was just Phoenix by himself...
Even if they aren't costumes, they could make that reference through color palettes - it's what UMvC3 did.

Really hope they don't leave Maya out if Phoenix makes it. Having her help in taking stocks would be amazing tbh.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Support. I'd really love to see Phoenix in Smash. I've seen some people say he wouldn't work since Ace Attorney isn't about combat, but I'd argue several fighters already in Smash had a lot less to work with. If Sakurai can make Duck Hunt, Piranha Plant, Wii Fit Trainer, and Steve work, I'm 100% sure he could give Phoenix a great moveset.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Well, with all the excitement happening regarding Ace Attorney (like the name Herlock Sholmes), I guess it's as good a time as any to come into this thread and show my support! Phoenix might be my most-wanted character that actually has a shot at getting in right now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Talk about a turnabout! I definitely never expected DGS to get localized, what a dream come true. I already played the first one thanks to the fan translation but I'll still gladly buy it, gotta support the series.

I never thought I'd see the day... Ace Attorney lives!

Weird that they aren't doing a 4-6 or AAI collection but I'm especially glad I avoided any DGS info now. I can't wait to go in blind!
I imagine that they'll do a 4-5-6 + AAI + AAI2 collection if this does well. It would be very bizarre to localize DGS, with all its cultural specificities, touchy subjects, and annoying Sherlock Holmes copyright, and not AAI2.

MattX20

Smash Hero
...I just wanted Ace Attorney Investigations 2 localized, not the Great Ace Attorney games

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
...I just wanted Ace Attorney Investigations 2 localized, not the Great Ace Attorney games
To be fair, AAI2 is a pretty old game and localize a single entry of the sequel of an spinoff that did pretty badly overseas wouldn't be the wisest choice.
DGS is perfectly reasonable since both games never left Japan, besides there's already a damn great AAI2 localization made by fans whereas DGS2's fan translation is still incomplete.
So, I think is a sacrifice Im willing to make, specially considering DGS duology is the Magnum opus of Shu Takumi.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Ok so apparently some leaked on 4chan some more of the slides about Ace Attorney... and apparently some of them mention AA7 targeting a release during Q3 of the FY of 2021.

BUT, apparently the format it's different from the other slides and I still haven't seen these slides myself.

So yeah, high chances of this being a fake piggybacking of the other leaks... let's wait and see how this situation develops before getting hyped

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
An official AAI2 localization might end up feeling even weirder than the DGS ones, to be honest. Herlock Sholmes is gonna the only name change in them, right?

But with the main series (and Investigations), changing names is standard procedure. So everyone's gonna end up with different names than the fan translation. It'll be Sholmes times ten.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To be fair, AAI2 is a pretty old game and localize a single entry of the sequel of an spinoff that did pretty badly overseas wouldn't be the wisest choice.
DGS is perfectly reasonable since both games never left Japan, besides there's already a damn great AAI2 localization made by fans whereas DGS2's fan translation is still incomplete.
So, I think is a sacrifice Im willing to make, specially considering DGS duology is the Magnum opus of Shu Takumi.
A game being old isn't a viable excuse considering the first 4 games have been ported to other platforms as well as the first AAI

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Capcom buying the rights of the AAI2 fan translation would be saving costs and pleasing the fans at the same time.
Of course it won't ever happen tho, because the pride of Japanese companies would never let them acknowledge that a western fan translation existed.

Herlock Sholmes is such a glorious, funny and lazy change that I welcome it with open arms. But many iconic fan names of AAI2 are already ingrained in my brain. It would be a rough change.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whatever they'll come up with, it should be fairly amusing regardless.

Assuming they don't take the Alternate Jake Hunter: Daedalus The Awakening of Golden Jazz route, anyway...

Capcom buying the rights of the AAI2 fan translation would be saving costs and pleasing the fans at the same time.
Of course it won't ever happen tho, because the pride of Japanese companies would never let them acknowledge that a western fan translation existed.

Herlock Sholmes is such a glorious, funny and lazy change that I welcome it with open arms. But many iconic fan names of AAI2 are already ingrained in my brain. It would be a rough change.
More to the point, Capcom wouldn't acknowledge any fan thing that doesn't involve Street Fighter.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
An official AAI2 localization might end up feeling even weirder than the DGS ones, to be honest. Herlock Sholmes is gonna the only name change in them, right?

But with the main series (and Investigations), changing names is standard procedure. So everyone's gonna end up with different names than the fan translation. It'll be Sholmes times ten.
I'll miss old Ray Shields and DeBeste, but other names like Patty Roland and Justine Courtney were made kinda redundant by other games.
As a fan of Fire Emblem, names being changed between fan translations and official releases is something you get used to.
Yeah remember Krom?

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so now they are saying that the slide about AA7 is legit, they were just older.
Other details that came to the surface:
-Ace Attorney 7 in development, originally targeted Q3 of FY 2021. AA4-6 collection under consideration?
-DGS box collection is getting a physical release in NA for Switch only. Digital for Switch, PS4, and Steam.
-DGS is getting some sort of auto-play feature that solves the puzzles for you.
-Overseas versions of DGS won't have Japanese voice support because of the Sherlock Holmes trademark issue (the characters say Sherlock Holmes's name out loud in Japanese).
-The Japanese rom will have both Japanese and English text on it, but the overseas rom will only have English text; for the same reason as above.
-The game will retail for $40/40 euros."

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Even if they aren't costumes, they could make that reference through color palettes - it's what UMvC3 did.

Really hope they don't leave Maya out if Phoenix makes it. Having her help in taking stocks would be amazing tbh.
I’d personally be a bit upset if it was just Phoenix. I mean, in the main series the player is rarely alone, it’s always the lead lawyer and an assistant.
If they go the extra mile and make Apollo half of his costumes, I’m torn on it being Trucy or Athena. Trucy is definitely the fan preferred one, but I’m a hardcore Athena apologist and even when their cases were sillier I always enjoyed Apollo and Athena’s banter.

Regardless, if we got an upbeat jazzy remix of The Fragrance of Dark Coffee to fight to I don’t care what else they add. If it worked for Beneath the Mask, it can work for Godot’s theme.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The leakers who got all this info from Capcom apparently stole 1 terabyte of info (for those unaware, a terabyte is 1000 gigabytes), and so far we've only seen around 60 GB of the data.

Part of me wonders if somewhere in this huge pile of data, there's mention of Smash Bros. Imagine this huge Ace Attorney blowout for the series' anniversary, and it all culminates in the announcement of Phoenix in Smash.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I doubt Nintendo would risk sharing much of anything Smash related with Capcom files outside of a big maybe for negotiation emails, and even that would be a stretch.
I'm curious what AA7 will focus on and how it'll look now that it can no longer opt for cheaper handheld production values.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The leakers who got all this info from Capcom apparently stole 1 terabyte of info (for those unaware, a terabyte is 1000 gigabytes), and so far we've only seen around 60 GB of the data.

Part of me wonders if somewhere in this huge pile of data, there's mention of Smash Bros. Imagine this huge Ace Attorney blowout for the series' anniversary, and it all culminates in the announcement of Phoenix in Smash.
Well, chances are either we'll find out soon enough or the Capcom legal team will stop any additional leaks

SNEKeater

Smash Master
can we trust any of the info from these hackers?
Capcom has acknowledged this situation and all of the original data shared by the hackers seems completely real.

Some of the info is from 2019 or 2018, it seems, so there could be some differneces, but the info about The Great Ace Attorney duology being localized is apparently from August 2020.

The TGAA slider being from this year makes me think the one about AA7 and AA4-6 should be recent as well, but I'm not sure, I don't know japanese.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Capcom has acknowledged this situation and all of the original data shared by the hackers seems completely real.

Some of the info is from 2019 or 2018, it seems, so there could be some differneces, but the info about The Great Ace Attorney duology being localized is apparently from August 2020.

The TGAA slider being from this year makes me think the one about AA7 and AA4-6 should be recent as well, but I'm not sure, I don't know japanese.
The one about AA7 and AA4-6 is from 2019. Recent enough to believe it's still in the cards, but also recent enough to believe the pandemic might've delayed some plans.

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
Call me wishful, but I think that this leak (if real) really drives up the possibility of Nick being DLC.

Getting Nick in Smash would be a good marketing move. Seeing as how DGS didn't sell that well, this leak could be seen as evidence to his (hopefully) future inclusion. However, the localization and rerelease might just be because of the series' anniversary.

Also, his main competition (Dante and Monster Hunter) have had/are going to have big releases in the form of DMC5 Special Edition and Monster Hunter Rise. This leak lines Nick up as an even closer frontrunner.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Ok, so now they are saying that the slide about AA7 is legit, they were just older.
Other details that came to the surface:
-Ace Attorney 7 in development, originally targeted Q3 of FY 2021. AA4-6 collection under consideration?
-DGS box collection is getting a physical release in NA for Switch only. Digital for Switch, PS4, and Steam.
-DGS is getting some sort of auto-play feature that solves the puzzles for you.
-Overseas versions of DGS won't have Japanese voice support because of the Sherlock Holmes trademark issue (the characters say Sherlock Holmes's name out loud in Japanese).
-The Japanese rom will have both Japanese and English text on it, but the overseas rom will only have English text; for the same reason as above.
-The game will retail for $40/40 euros."
There's another slide that I think sets the expected number of sold copies that being 310,000 Here.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The one about AA7 and AA4-6 is from 2019. Recent enough to believe it's still in the cards, but also recent enough to believe the pandemic might've delayed some plans.
Yeah, the pandemic has probably delayed most of these plans. No doubt about it.

I'm hoping they will port AA4-6. I don't think it would be that hard. Not even asking for a physical release. And I honestly think it would sell better than TGAA, even if it's because AA4-6 obviously are actually the sequels for the original games, plus AA7 reveal will bring some new fans. If I was a new fan, I'd play the mainline series, then the spin offs, but I might be the exception so who knows hahaha

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Well, chances are either we'll find out soon enough or the Capcom legal team will stop any additional leaks
It would be bittersweet to get the announcement like that, so hopefully they shut it down pretty fast.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Capcom's released a statement, it's legit.

hype it is then

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
A mod on the Ace Attorney subreddit has been compiling information that has been leaked in two threads so far.

The second thread got help from an anonymous user who claimed to have more information about DGS.

Top Bottom