• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Take It! Next Monthly August 10 Appleton, WI *Updates, see first post*

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
ANYWAY

Ok, CC5 was very successful because we had alot of set ups. As always, Vino and I are down for 1 full set up.

Everryone else? Make sure if you are bringing a tv, that if you need a remote control, that you don't forget it.:embarrass:embarrass

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Is there any place in Wisconsin for smashers to have meetings to discuss things, learn techniques, practice, etc.? Somewhere near LaCrosse, preferably? (LaCrosse is right on the Minnesota Border in the southern part of Wisconsin)
You should come to MN events. Lacrosee is what, like 2 hours from the twin cities? We have lots of stuff there. Once the school year starts again we're probably going to have biweeklies again.

BTW, put me down for 1 TV. My other TV was broken at Beezo. I can bring another crappy TV if needed.

Also, I second the request to change the name to "Take it and get out!"

aloneinthedark

Smash Rookie
Hey lonejedi, this is dosdos

I should be able to bring a cube, but no tv, since small portable tvs don't exist at my house.

2nd last at cc5, woot. (TOYC will NOT get farther than me at cc6)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok here's the time frame we're looking at here.

10:00 Sign ups for Low Tier,
10:45 sign ups end bracket is formed
11:00 Low Tier Starts
12:00 Sign ups for teams begins
12:30 Low Tier ends sometime in here
1:00 Teams Begins
2:30 Sign ups for Singles Begins
3:00 Teams ends, Half an Hour Lunch Break.
3:30 Singles starts

This time, we're not doing RR, it took too long for something that should have taken 45 mins.

Instead, we'll seed either by teams, and by location, with brackets being a bit more fair.

IE Spikes and JS will be on opp sides
Hayate and Tapion on Opp sides
Ect.

Puffinator

Smash Ace
singles before teams........?

Fastest

Smash Ace
40/30/20/10? LOLOLOLOL :laugh: :laugh:

Hooray, first place gets less money for being the best at the expense of one extra person getting their entry fee back and the king of the loser's bracket getting extra undeserved funds!

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
So lunch isn't until 3:30? Aww I'm gonna die waiting, but then again, I could probably waste away in front of a tv screen as long as smash was on it. I plan to not do horribly this time, Tass gave me a verbal bashing for my performance at cc5. I need to get past lone and puff this time. GOD I can't BELIEVE Quaz... I was beating him aaalll night and then one loss during the tournament = two seeds below and about ten places in the final standings.

But enough ranting. Teams'll be a lot better this time. Hope to see Lange coming, and can you give me a ride, Jeff? In exchange for the cheese??

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
40/30/20/10? LOLOLOLOL :laugh: :laugh:

Hooray, first place gets less money for being the best at the expense of one extra person getting their entry fee back and the king of the loser's bracket getting extra undeserved funds!
First of, these are just monthlies, these aren't targeted to be big tournies, all of the CC's have been 60/30/10 and so will CC6.

Second off 2nd place has always been 30 so he's not getting extra funds.

Third off, why do you even care, it's not like you're even going, and if you were going, you should be happy it's higher, you would have no chance at 2nd, and possibly even third fastest.

I mean you're still cool and all, but if you're not coming, then why should you complain.

DonVitoOR

Smash Apprentice
This freaking piece of crap computer didn't post the last one, or maybe it did?, idk, but otherwise
I'll be bringing a full setup, and the power cord that i bought at the family dollar beside chimera's at pre-CC5 when we needed it... so yeah
This'll also be the opening of Bing Bing Worshiper's Team.

Xtra

Smash Ace
ANYWAY

Ok, CC5 was very successful because we had alot of set ups. As always, Vino and I are down for 1 full set up.

Everryone else? Make sure if you are bringing a tv, that if you need a remote control, that you don't forget it.:embarrass:embarrass
if this was a refrence to me i never planed on comming. that tv was in my car for other reasons. notice i didn't have a cube, or anything for that matter. why would i even bring a set-up for an hour???

Fastest

Smash Ace
First of, these are just monthlies, these aren't targeted to be big tournies, all of the CC's have been 60/30/10 and so will CC6.

Second off 2nd place has always been 30 so he's not getting extra funds.

Third off, why do you even care, it's not like you're even going, and if you were going, you should be happy it's higher, you would have no chance at 2nd, and possibly even third fastest.

I mean you're still cool and all, but if you're not coming, then why should you complain.
Apparently, you seem know what you're getting into, so you must understand that 40% 1st place insures against anyone decent coming.

I wasn't complaining, I just thought it was funny...

I mean, here's the deal: What if the OLYMPICS decided that GOLD, SILVER, AND BRONZE weren't enough? What if they decided to give a prize to 4th place?! Perhaps an AMETHYST (purple) medal- something that fits the 4th place prize's fruity nature. Of course, this would probably cost too much money making 4 medals and all. So to cover the 4th place prize costs, they'd make the GOLD medal 1/3rd SMALLER. And since BRONZE is really ugly and all, they made the 3rd place medal TWICE AS BIG!

Then... Then... maybe we'd only do this at the "non-big Olympics", or otherwise lesser Olympic events. You know, I think there is a lesser Olympic event where EVERYONE'S A WINNER! It's called the SPECIAL OLYMPICS. I mean, seeing as nobody "good" is going to this thing (Minnesota/Southern WI/Chicago), you've got all the prerequisites for a good old scrub fest where EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Well now, there you go. Take It!: The Special Olympics Smash Brothers Tournament!

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Apparently, you seem know what you're getting into, so you must understand that 40% 1st place insures against anyone decent coming.

I wasn't complaining, I just thought it was funny...

I mean, here's the deal: What if the OLYMPICS decided that GOLD, SILVER, AND BRONZE weren't enough? What if they decided to give a prize to 4th place?! Perhaps an AMETHYST (purple) medal- something that fits the 4th place prize's fruity nature. Of course, this would probably cost too much money making 4 medals and all. So to cover the 4th place prize costs, they'd make the GOLD medal 1/3rd SMALLER. And since BRONZE is really ugly and all, they made the 3rd place medal TWICE AS BIG!

Then... Then... maybe we'd only do this at the "non-big Olympics", or otherwise lesser Olympic events. You know, I think there is a lesser Olympic event where EVERYONE'S A WINNER! It's called the SPECIAL OLYMPICS. I mean, seeing as nobody "good" is going to this thing (Minnesota/Southern WI/Chicago), you've got all the prerequisites for a good old scrub fest where EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Well now, there you go. Take It!: The Special Olympics Smash Brothers Tournament!
See this is where you get it wrong, South WI isn't as good as they used to be, we're not scrubs anymore, and Im not aiming to attract REALLY GOOD PLAYERS. And if you're going to say MN wouldn't come, all their tournies are 40/30/20/10. Fastest, you used to be able to push us around when we sucked, but I can name 5 other people, other than people from Madison or White Water, that can beat you now. You talk alot, but you never back it up.

But if so many people have a problem with it, I'd be glad to switch it to 60/30/10 again.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I don't think anyone really cares that much about the monthlies. They're going to just be an opportunity to get together in a serious setting for smash. They're going to be good practice time. That's all I really care about. The first one will help me practice for FC, and the other ones will let me practice for HJ.

element_of_fire

Smash Lord
i think payin' out to 4th is fine... so i think you should keep it.... I think its cool to get more people money... more people are happy then... i also think you should make teams $10 per person as well.... more money for more people... lets face it, how many people place in teams that dont' place in singles?? so yeah lets do that

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
i think payin' out to 4th is fine... so i think you should keep it.... I think its cool to get more people money... more people are happy then... i also think you should make teams $10 per person as well.... more money for more people... lets face it, how many people place in teams that dont' place in singles?? so yeah lets do that
Maybe while we're at it, I can make a side pot for the person who suicides the most in a match.... that would be affective.. jk EoF.

See exactly what JS, is what Im doing. I never aimed at making this a big tourney, they were just opportunities for locals to get better, and implement a competative sense into the area. We actually want scrubs to get better Fastest, and these monthlies are great opportunities for that.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Am I the only one who sees the irony in these two statements? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::urg::urg::urg:
Ok, you got me there, I was a bit arrogant there, but all I ask is, that for once, you leave my topics alone, or at least try to be constructive with your cricitism. You are always being negative online, and Iknow you're a cool guy in real life, just try to be a bit nicer.

Fastest

Smash Ace
I'm not going due to the pot split. Have a fun tournament everyone.
16:26:15) Tapion: oh, lmao
(16:26:25) Tapion: **** that, 40 percent? I'm not going
(16:26:33) Fastest: you weren't anyway :p
(16:26:37) Tapion: I was, actually
(16:26:39) Fastest: oh
(16:26:40) Fastest: wow

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::ohwell::urg::cool:

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
16:26:15) Tapion: oh, lmao
(16:26:25) Tapion: **** that, 40 percent? I'm not going
(16:26:33) Fastest: you weren't anyway :p
(16:26:37) Tapion: I was, actually
(16:26:39) Fastest: oh
(16:26:40) Fastest: wow

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::ohwell::urg::cool:
So how does this affect the tourney... it doesn't... oooo Tapion doesn't come, oooo the tourney is ruined... big deal... it's still going to be a fun tourney, and it's still going to be competative.

And we're still having good people come anyway, Zig Zag is coming, and last time I checked, he owned crashman and sauce. Some MN people will prob come, and we'll still have close to 30 people.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
20 entrants, 200 bucks.

180 dollar pot after 10% for store retardedness.

72 bucks for first
54 bucks for second
36 bucks for third
18 for fourth

I'm not going no matter what, but it's obvious that winning any of these monthlies doesn't matter as much as it should. Instead of taking 20% from first place and disbursing it to 3rd and 4th place, you should split it up. First place should always get more than half.

55% for first
25% for second
15% for third
5% for fourth (minimum of entree fee, comes out of third places winnings for being over 10%)

I'm sure none of you guys really care about the money, you are all smash dedicated really, but even for a monthly, biweekly, whatever, have the pot split be deserving of what everyone actually earned...

20 entrants, 200 bucks, 180 after ten percent retardedness store fee

100 for first
45 for second
25 for third
10 for fourth

More reasonable? Whatever, you guys decide, I'm not even going, but the way it's set up is pretty dumb IMO

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I think what tapion said makes more sense, but Im gonna be here regardless. Is low tier like a five dollar entry, or is the same?

Also, speaking of crash and sauce, are they coming to this? I love those guys.

Puffinator

Smash Ace
ROFL at fastest being back and his hilarious special olympics post
IDC bout teh pot split but why teams before singles i dont get it
but it doesn't matter cause im gonna be outta town that day :(

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Tapion's version looks very similar to mine that I posted twice.
It is, except in your version, you almost completely diminished the second place's winnings. It was almost as if winner takes all at that point because that person was getting 60% no matter what, while second got less and less, and eventually third did too.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Once again I'll quote myself.

25% of 300 dollars is 75 dollars (2nd place in with 30 people) 22% of 500 dollars is 110 dollars (2nd place with 50 people) 110 > 75. clearly there's going to be a decline from say 49 people to 50 people, but frankly it would be a lot harder and complicated to make seperate payouts for each individual place.

I'd say the VAST majority of people going to this are going to have fun... not to win large sums of money. this way more people are happy by recieving more than they came for. If we were to follow your point of view, we'd just give 1st place 100% of the money. Notice 1st place remains at 60% the entire time, so the BEST person there is still going to win the same "large sum of money" you post about.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok let's compromise, I thought I'd do it this way, since 1 MN does all of their tournies this way, but the difference between WI and MN, is that MN, actually enjoys playing smash, and doesn't complain because of the pot. This is why MN>WI, because MN aren't lame half the time, yes I'm ranting and acting lame, who cares, I think I care less of what people think of me now.

I understand that first should get the majority of the money, and that's why I'm compromising.

1st 50%
2nd 30%
3rd 15%
4th 5%

There, that's a fair way to do it, and 1st get's his/her dues.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
MN > WI because Twin Cities are amazing. Tons of awesome stuff, imo.

MoA is sweet.

<_<

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
XD what a crazy topic. I would probably find a way to go if it was on a saturday. Fridays just suck for me. I have gotten used to MN 40/30/20/10 pot split so I would still be there but hey you make tourneys on lame dates.

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
I like current pot split. I feel like while you're getting less top tier talent, all of the 2nd tier players will want to play because they actually have a chance at winning some money. I like it better than just everyone throwing ten bucks down and having the two best players there play for it. As much as I think that's the right way to do it for a big tournament, where you're looking to draw a national crowd, I think the 40/30/20/10 works much better for local, semi-competitive (I use that term loosely, everyone wants to win) tournaments.

I guess this shows how much people actually enjoy playing the game itself. If making 50 bucks and playing Smash all day isn't worth it to the better players, then so be it. I still have plenty of people better than me that would be at these tournaments, and I find I improve much better when I play with people better, but not overwhelmingly better than me.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I guess this shows how much people actually enjoy playing the game itself. If making 50 bucks and playing Smash all day isn't worth it to the better players, then so be it. I still have plenty of people better than me that would be at these tournaments, and I find I improve much better when I play with people better, but not overwhelmingly better than me.
QFT, nicely put.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Okokokok, so, I had a vision.

Lonejedi, having won 4th place at this tourny, piles together the entirety of his $8 winnings (+$2 to round it up to entry fee!) and turns it into 1,000 pennies. Then, having finally tasted the feeling of winning cash at a smash brothers tournament, decides to swim around in his miniature prize-sea. All the while muttering to himself: "OMFG THIS MUST BE WHAT PC CHRIS FEELS LIKE!!11!1!!" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom