• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Tactical Deployment - Roy Q&A Thread

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Does Roy's Counter have a weird hitbox or something? Because I've noticed that sometimes when I'm hit around the feet, Roy's counter is overridden and he's hit anyway. I've experienced this many times, and it's always around the feet. In particular, Bowser's recovery made this happen, and Ike's quickdraw.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Some characters have weird hit boxes on there counters, however, are you sure the counter was active? The reason I say this is because Marth's counter activates frame 5 while Roy's counter activates on frame 8 making his different then most counters. @ EyexSore EyexSore

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Some characters have weird hit boxes on there counters, however, are you sure the counter was active? The reason I say this is because Marth's counter activates frame 5 while Roy's counter activates on frame 8 making his different then most counters. @ EyexSore EyexSore
I was right in the middle of the animation. About half a second after activation.

Sonicninja115

I was right in the middle of the animation. About half a second after activation.
Interesting... I have noticed sometimes that I will get hit from below, ROB's Usmash, but I thought my timing was off...

Sonicninja115

I'm thinking of having Roy as my secondary. Any tips for playing him?
Standard b is pretty safe, and neutral air is also a good option. Combo throw is Dthrow, which has many follow-ups. And prominent kill moves are fair, Ftilt, fsmash, Usmash and Bair. There is a lot more advice I could give but I am tired, might edit this later...

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Hello i was wounderin what would be some good secondaries to compensate for roys bad matchups
Roy suffers vs characters like Olimar and characters with disjoints of similar or greater size as his. So Ike and sometimes even Marth for example can give Roy some problems. Roy is great vs characters like Fox, Ness, Captain Falcon etc. I would say someone like Captain Falcon, Sonic or (ofc) Sheik would be good companion characters to Roy.

RoboRoy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I am new here but hope to be part of the community soon. I am very serious about Smash and learning tech for my characters, currently Roy and Samus.

Anyway, I am noticing that a very large majority of true combos in Roy's arsenal are off of uairs. I am confused as how to approach with one though.. I feel like they are very very conditional but I'm not even sure when those conditions are. Overall, it seems very dangerous and reckless to approach with, but the true combos are very strong...

tl;dr: how do I approach with uair as a combo opener?

Sonnance

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this has been adressed already, but does Roy's Flare Blade still do more KB if released one frame before full charge, like in melee?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
When counterpicking Ike, what stages do you choose and ban against him?

Also, is it possible to DI out of his combos and in what direction for jab/DThrow?

NeoSeth

Smash Cadet
So I've been using Roy as my secondary since the day he came out, and I've invested a significant amount of time into him, but I've never been able to utilizie his fair iasa frames. Is there some type of window I'm missing out on? I've always been told you just have to fair as quickly as possible out of a short hop, but I cannot seem to act out of a fair. Was it patched out or something?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So I've been using Roy as my secondary since the day he came out, and I've invested a significant amount of time into him, but I've never been able to utilizie his fair iasa frames. Is there some type of window I'm missing out on? I've always been told you just have to fair as quickly as possible out of a short hop, but I cannot seem to act out of a fair. Was it patched out or something?
it's still in. buffer fair as you short hop then buffer any action (usually its jump) and voila.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but is sitting in Shield --> OoS Blazer Roy's best option for ledge coverage? It seems covers a lot of options:
>Normal Getup, shield grab or blazer
>Normal Getup --> shield, shield grab
>Ledge Attacks, shield grab or Blazer's super armor frames
>Ledge Drop Aerials, again shielded or tanked by Blazer's super armor
>Ledge Jumps
>Ledge Rolls, as a B-reversed Blazer will still catch them

The only option that would beat Shield --> OoS Blazer would be a Normal Getup --> Spotdodge

Last edited:

RoboRoy

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but is sitting in Shield --> OoS Blazer Roy's best option for ledge coverage? It seems covers a lot of options:
>Normal Getup, shield grab or blazer
>Normal Getup --> shield, shield grab
>Ledge Attacks, shield grab or Blazer's super armor frames
>Ledge Drop Aerials, again shielded or tanked by Blazer's super armor
>Ledge Jumps
>Ledge Rolls, as a B-reversed Blazer will still catch them

The only option that would beat Shield --> OoS Blazer would be a Normal Getup --> Spotdodge
These are all great! I need to be using Blazer more.

Also, if they are low enough percent:
>Normal getup, jab into f-smash
>Ledge attack, block, jab, f-smash
Or despite percentage:
>Ledge attack, short hop nair (Blazer does more damage I believe, but this is nice to have as a mixup.

Edit:
The jab into fsmash combo is also nice because if they happen to spot-dodge the first jab, you are likely going to be able to get him with another immediately afterwards. A bit less risky than blazer, because if they s-dodge blazer it could mean trouble.

Last edited:

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
What's something Roy can do against Donkey Kongs Upthrow -> U-air, just air dodging feels don't feel right.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Hi Roy mains! Some of us at the Greninja boards are discussing secondaries for the ninja frog(we strugle mostly vs Sonic, Fox and Sheik) and I was thinking, how does Roy deal with those 3 characters? His amazing killing power sounds fantastic when compared to Greninja's, also having disjoints sounds really nice so I was considering picking him up as a secondary, any opinions?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
How do you get Roy's combos to work? Against floaty characters, they seem like there's no combos for him at all - just setups and frame advantage out of DThrow and jab.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
How do you get Roy's combos to work? Against floaty characters, they seem like there's no combos for him at all - just setups and frame advantage out of DThrow and jab.
dthrow > nair/fair works really well on floaties from my experience. fthrow > nair is also really good.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Does aerial Blazer have super armor? Kept getting knocked out during a match, then couldn't tank hits in Training

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Does aerial Blazer have super armor? Kept getting knocked out during a match, then couldn't tank hits in Training
no, only grounded blazer has super armour frames 4-9

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Does anyone have a general list of Roy's throw followups? A lot of his throws seem really good on paper, especially his down throw, but in practice I can't really get many combos off of it.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Does anyone have a general list of Roy's throw followups? A lot of his throws seem really good on paper, especially his down throw, but in practice I can't really get many combos off of it.
From the skype group's document, here is a list of tested combos (been a while since it was last updated, but oh well). No DI, training mode combos, tested on default mii brawler. Still, I get mileage out of a lot of these, so it's a good place to start.

1. Fthrow (credit to Royvolution Ream, Blue Beast, JuniorZ)
    1. Double edge blade (sour only 0 - 80%) - gfycat demonstration

2. Dash Attack (Sweet 0 - 50%, Sour 51%-100%)

3. SH nair (Both hits Sour 20% - 30%, Second hit Sweet 30% - 100%)
  1. Dthrow (credit to Royvolution Ream, Vipermoon64, EternalFlame, Junior Z)
    1. Utilt (Sweet 18 - 35%, Sour 36 - 50%)

2. Ftilt (Sweet 5-10, Sour 11 - 50%)

3. Jab (Sweet 18 - 30%) (can’t airdodge or jump out at 0%, though)

4. Nair (Sweet 35 - 70%)

Last edited:

mangojuice

Smash Rookie
Hi All. I have a very basic newbie question that doesn't just pertain to roy. This is the scenario. As roy after I jump, I'm floating back on to the platform. Bowser is running after me, wait me to land, so he can do his grab special. Is there anyway for me to land without giving him a free punish? Assuming I don't throw out an attack or anything. So far example, can i just tech the landing and spot dodge? I'm assuming teching landings also applies when you aren't in the "falling" animation also.

Thanks in advance.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I'm trying to work Footstools into my on stage combos. Does anyone have any moves that I can follow up with a footstool to keep the combo going.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Hi All. I have a very basic newbie question that doesn't just pertain to roy. This is the scenario. As roy after I jump, I'm floating back on to the platform. Bowser is running after me, wait me to land, so he can do his grab special. Is there anyway for me to land without giving him a free punish? Assuming I don't throw out an attack or anything. So far example, can i just tech the landing and spot dodge? I'm assuming teching landings also applies when you aren't in the "falling" animation also.

Thanks in advance.
If you're sure he'll try to grab you then you should throw out an attack like Nair or SideB in the air, but if you don't want to attack then you can shift your aerial momentum with a B-reversed Flare Blade (Neutral B).

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I need a detailed explanation on how to do the Meta Knight MU. I got whooped by Sebrik, but not too badly. I just want to know what I can do to play the MU better.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Do you guys think that Roy could be a good secondary for me? I'm maining Pit.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Do you guys think that Roy could be a good secondary for me? I'm maining Pit.
I used to play Pit before Roy came out. ^_^ I would say the biggest advantage to playing Pit is that he doesn't have any truly polar MUs: while he doesn't excel at anything, he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses besides KO power for your opponents to exploit. Even so, the characters you would want a potential secondary to cover for Pit would be characters that Pit is at a disadvantage against; characters like Sheik and Dedede, both of which Roy also struggles with, and the MUs are probably harder as Roy than they would be if you just stuck with Pit, tbh. If you really want a secondary to practice, I would say analyze your playstyle, and find which characters you struggle against with Pit, and what aspects of your gameplay you want to improve, and pick a character that'll cover that. Common choices might include Roy (our Boy), Fox, Sheik, and Mario. You could also just pick up a character because you like playing as them, that's always a valid reason. In which case, Roy is definitely your Boy. ^_^

Anyone know any good Roys or Roy videos I can watch; I'm trying to figure out when to use Flare Blade and Double Edge Dance, I almost never use DED until just recently.
This playlist was posted on the video thread just recently, it's a list of Roys that have played in tournament recently. Hope that helps. :)

As for flare blade and DED, I will admit that I, myself, don't use flare blade near as much as I probably should, so I'll let someone else answer that. As for DED, you can combo into it at low percents from fthrow, and it also makes a punish option. Just be aware that floaty characters like Jigglypuff can jump out after two hits, and some characters with fast nairs like Mario will be able to nair out as well, so be ready to drop the DED early depending on your opponent.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Hey folks. I picked up Roy recently and I think he is crazy fun. Like seriously, I can't get enough of using him. I have a question though: To what extent is Roy viable in competitive play overall? I know it might be a bit early to tell, but I'd like to know the consensus based on what's known so far. I love this character and would love to take him to a high level, but I'd be very disappointed if I always had to use a secondary because every top tier destroys him or something like that.

Top Bottom