• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Tactical Deployment - Roy Q&A Thread

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
What are some true combos and good throw followups at low percentages?
FThrow > DED, Dthrow > Jab/Ftilt/Utilt Fthrow > Dash attack is a somewhat reliable followup at times

What are you opinions on dthrow into upb? I heard some people say it is good, and some people say it is the worst thing to ever do.
I know this isn't aimed at me but I'll give my opinion on Dthrow > Blazer, it's not a bad combo and actually works really well at low %'s the problem with Dthrow > Blazer is that it's obsolete compared to the other throw followups Roy can do.

If aerial Blazer was as strong as the grounded version then Dthrow > Blazer would of been really good at high %'s since Roy could jump to bait airdodges then use aerial Blazer to take a stock.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
FThrow > DED, Dthrow > Jab/Ftilt/Utilt Fthrow > Dash attack is a somewhat reliable followup at times

I know this isn't aimed at me but I'll give my opinion on Dthrow > Blazer, it's not a bad combo and actually works really well at low %'s the problem with Dthrow > Blazer is that it's obsolete compared to the other throw followups Roy can do.

If aerial Blazer was as strong as the grounded version then Dthrow > Blazer would of been really good at high %'s since Roy could jump to bait airdodges then use aerial Blazer to take a stock.
What are better dthrow followups? Uptilt? Jab into regrab?

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
Does anyone have a breakdown of the Flare Blade charging mechanics? There's very little information about it.

Like, does the damage/knockback/explosion size scale on a frame-by-frame basis, or are there discrete "levels" like Ike's Eruption? If it scales frame-by-frame, what is the algorithm? If it's stage-based, what are the stages?

Does ANYONE know?

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
What do you guys think as a secondary with Roy? I am not experienced enough to know about bad matchups, but what would you consider a good secondary is, considering his bad MUs?

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
Quick question boys. Do you have to hit with the hilt of dair to spike? I don't have a system so I can't test it
Basically there's a fairly generous "hilt-and-shaft" hitbox that spikes, and then the tipper, which doesn't.

Ieven

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, i have some questions, i started to play Roy 1 month ago, i have somme problem with him.

I have difficulties to kill with Roy, on the neutral, i get easely punish when i space my Fair and Nair seems the only viable spacing tools.

About the Throws, Dthrow seems to be less fiable than Fthrow. Can i know what Roy can do from a Fthrow or Dthrow (if it's riable).

Thanks !

Redline!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zagreus
3DS FC
0430-8347-8382
Hi guys, i have some questions, i started to play Roy 1 month ago, i have somme problem with him.

I have difficulties to kill with Roy, on the neutral, i get easely punish when i space my Fair and Nair seems the only viable spacing tools.

About the Throws, Dthrow seems to be less fiable than Fthrow. Can i know what Roy can do from a Fthrow or Dthrow (if it's riable).

Thanks !
Don't underestimate Neutral B as a spacing tool. Play footsies using it - it has almost no endlag!

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Don't underestimate Neutral B as a spacing tool. Play footsies using it - it has almost no endlag!
I saw someone charge up neutral b, miss it, and when someone ran in on him he already had enough time to hit them with a fsmash. The ending lag is amazingly short.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
So.. How do you fight Mario?

It's weird. Today I've been fighting two guys in a casual match with items. I've beaten both of them constantly, but one of them switched to Mario and I lost both times. I seem to have trouble escaping his infamous up tilt combo along with his air combos. I can beat Marios, but I have to work really hard for it, even against less experienced players. Any advice on how to avoid or nullify his "bread and butter" combos?

Last edited:

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
So.. How do you fight Mario?

It's weird. Today I've been fighting two guys in a casual match with items. I've beaten both of them constantly, but one of them switched to Mario and I lost both times. I seem to have trouble escaping his infamous up tilt combo along with his air combos. I can beat Marios, but I have to work really hard for it, even against less experienced players. Any advice on how to avoid or nullify his "bread and butter" combos?
I was actually helped out by an anther's ladder mario for his up-tilt combo. Since Roy is a fast faller, at low percents to escape you just have to try to fast fall and then shield. I am not certain if this is optimal, but its what an anther's ladder Mario main told me.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Question, when are you guys finding yourselves using up-b offensively the most? What are things you look out for from an opponent?

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Question, when are you guys finding yourselves using up-b offensively the most? What are things you look out for from an opponent?
Usually, when my opponents approach me with an aerial I use shield into up-b. Its pretty good most of the time.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Offensive Blazer is good in situations where you know they will approach/retaliate using an aerial. Good example would be punishing a G&W for using Dair to land.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I have a couple questions about our boy.

For combo-ing with Roy, I find myself using the first hit (the sourspot) of his N-air, then lead into a d-throw into forward smash/Blazer.

How strong is Blazer's super armor?

Roy's counter... Does it raise damage? Or does it raise knockback? (depending on which one, how much?)

What uses does Roy's D-tilt have besides edge-guards?

For neutral-b, where should you use it for edge-guards?

What ledge-getup should you do with Roy... or well what is the best?

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
What are some of Roy's bad matchups and which ones are his worst?

Cooly23

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-5547-7609
What are some of Roy's bad matchups and which ones are his worst?
duck hunt would be a bad match up for roy (but im saying this from experience from facing a lvl 9 CPU so i may be wrong.)

Malcolm Pickering

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to sweet spot Blazer in the air? I cant seem to get it to work. Even though up b connects it doesn't kill even at very high percents (this is also without any rage)

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Is there ever a reason to use Roy's down air? From what I've used of Roy, it seems like this move has spike hitbox that does a lot of damage but is extremely tiny. It also lasts forever in the air and has 28 frames of landing lag for absolutely no reason. Combined with Roy's fast fall speed, it's very hard to use this attack off stage without either dying, putting yourself at risk, or being extremely predictable. I usually find myself using pretty much any other move, as down air is just rarely worth it most of the time and it just seems like an absolutely poor move. Does it have any use?

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Is there ever a reason to use Roy's down air? From what I've used of Roy, it seems like this move has spike hitbox that does a lot of damage but is extremely tiny. It also lasts forever in the air and has 28 frames of landing lag for absolutely no reason. Combined with Roy's fast fall speed, it's very hard to use this attack off stage without either dying, putting yourself at risk, or being extremely predictable. I usually find myself using pretty much any other move, as down air is just rarely worth it most of the time and it just seems like an absolutely poor move. Does it have any use?
Roy's Dair is pretty useless, I wouldn't even recommend trying to spike with it considering the sourspot knocks you upwards which could help your opponent recover.

If you're going for some disrespect though, by all means go for it.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Disrespect ;^)

Serew

Smash Apprentice
You can actually use dair to punish ledge regrabs very well, that IMO is the best ledge regrab punish if you read their recovery, and also the best use for our dair.
otherwise you can also rarely get it out of "roy ken" combo's, which aren't true but work sometimes :p and yeah ofc disrespect xD

Pizzalord

Smash Rookie
Any advice on fighting yoshi? My usual downthrow -> blazer combo doesn't work on him. It gets stuffed out by his really fast nair. I don't know what to follow my downthrow up with.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Any advice on fighting yoshi? My usual downthrow -> blazer combo doesn't work on him. It gets stuffed out by his really fast nair. I don't know what to follow my downthrow up with.
Try going for forward throw combo's, at low % you can usually hit Fthrow -> Nair -> more followups (Running up with up air, fair, etc.) Down throw combo's could be nair/fair/upair/up tilt and stuff like that. down throw combo's are usually easier for Yoshi to get out of though. There are situations however that he does escape with his nair out of any of our combo's if we are not fast enough by performing them and are too close to him. Also try baiting their nairs by shielding in the middle of a combo, this could lead to a regrab. (Also a little tip, try not using dthrow blazer, it's not a very good combo, there are many better options! :D)
Overall advice on the Yoshi matchup: Try staying away from the ledge at about 70% and higher when yoshi is offstage (not very far, just spacing it right :p). His egg lay will kill us at that point. Also keep in mind that under 70% he could still followup to it.
For Yoshi gimping us: Usually if you recover very low he will spike us or nair gimp us. Try finding a good spot so you don't recovery too obviously on the stage, but don't get spiked/gimped.
In neutral: Just try to space right and it should be fine since he really has no disjoints (ours isn't big but it does work here), just play a bit patiently, Also shielding works really well since his grab isn't great, just have to be careful with egg lay and dair/down b. Yoshi's grab doesn't really have any followups, it could be annoying near ledge when he keeps getting us offstage with it though.
Also in the situation of getting egg layed on stage: Try mixing up your mashing. And if you're not sure what he's gonna do, try staying center stage, he won't be able to get his gimp/spike setups as easily that way.
This is matchup you have to get used to but it's not bad once you do. I'd even say it's 55/45 in Roys favor.
Anyways, hope this helps! :D

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
How much has Roy's buffs affected him? It's only a couple of frames on all of his aerials, but is it useful at all?

Serew

Smash Apprentice
This is definitely useful. less lag on our aerials makes our landing better (which we struggle alot with) and makes us a bit more safe on shield. 2 frames on most aerials might not sound like alot, but we're talking about a game where a frame 3 move is way better than a frame 5 move, so this is pretty good :D

godogod

Smash Ace
Do we know the stages of roy's flare blade like Ike's Eruption, and how many he has and knockback and damage info?

I'm guessing there's 5 stages, with one stage per second. Last one does 50% of course.

Last edited:

mraham

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-7507-6619
I'm going to start maining Roy alongside my current mains.
anything i need to work on?

:4feroy::4feroy::4roy::4feroy::4feroy::roymelee::roymelee:

Caliph

Smash Rookie
NNID
brover1
Do you guys know what stages benefit Roy the most or is it MU dependent, as i usually like to go to FD and Dreamland?

Also alongside techniques like dance troting and Perfect Pivoting, deos he have any other movement options he can use?

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys know what stages benefit Roy the most or is it MU dependent, as i usually like to go to FD and Dreamland?

Also alongside techniques like dance troting and Perfect Pivoting, deos he have any other movement options he can use?
Our best stage depends on the MU to avoid the opponents setups instead. As for movement, we also have crouch sliding which i haven't used that much yet but it hasn't been tested alot (i'm trying to test it as much as possible). it could be pretty useful! here's a video link:

Caliph

Smash Rookie
NNID
brover1
Our best stage depends on the MU to avoid the opponents setups instead. As for movement, we also have crouch sliding which i haven't used that much yet but it hasn't been tested alot (i'm trying to test it as much as possible). it could be pretty useful! here's a video link:
It seems interesting, but can you link any moves or just d-tilt? Is it a Roy exclusive tech and is it difficult to execute?

Serew

Smash Apprentice
It seems interesting, but can you link any moves or just d-tilt? Is it a Roy exclusive tech and is it difficult to execute?
It's not that difficult to execute. i might make a new video about Crouch sliding since i have a capture card now (hopefully with controller inputs if my cam doesn't crash again x_x) You can link everything into it, but you usually stop momentum Dsmash Flare blade and shield keep momentum, grabs however stop it. The biggest plus side of this is that you're faster than regular walking but you keep your walking options and i guess being a bit lower at times helps a bit too but only rarely :p
This tech can apparently be used by bayonetta too, And MK has the same or something similar but at him it's really good from what i've heard, not sure if it was the exact same kind of thing though. Also another movement "tech" for styling is taunt sliding ;)
(i'm gonna check if i can make the updated Crouch sliding video)

EDIT: Sniped en >: )

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I somehow got unsubscribed to this thread, rip. Posting to get notifications from here again.

Don't forget taunt sliding lol. ;)

---

There are a couple of things worth noting about different stages. On Duck Hunt, I've had opponents with high jumps camp the tree to force me to approach aerially, as well as the 3 platform transformation on Town and City (especially Shulk, who can switch between jump art platform camping and shield art), so those are things to watch out for. Lylat is pure evil sometimes, and I tend to avoid it when I can, since sometimes you glitch on the ledges (as in, blazer right through the edge of the stage instead of ledge snapping). :( I know there was a gfy or short video floating around of this happening in tournament. It has also happened to me in friendlies (blazer'd through the stage, and landed on top of it near where the engine was lol). Also, against characters with a wall cling, you should probably avoid omega castle seige, as there's a foreground wall that can obstruct your view at times when the opponent wall clings low on the right side of the stage.

---

it is Roy exclusive, and it's easy to do. Just rotate gently along the edge of the control pad between crouching and walking (not too fast or you'll dash), and back to crouch. If you do it with the right timing, you'll slide a bit forwards. It's due to Roy's peculiar walking animation. If you stop the walk at the right time, you'll retain momentum.

That's the same concept with taunt sliding, only there you use pivot walking instead. Essentially, turn around slowly (don't dash), taunt after a slight hesitation. If you do it right, it'll look something like this:

taunting is one of the options that mantain momentum, along with flare blade and dsmash. Sadly, Roy's other options do not retain momentum.

Caliph

Smash Rookie
NNID
brover1
Curious how it is with aerials, also it could serve as a mindgame or mix up, as not many people know about his tech? Can you increase/decrease the amount of space you can accelerate by?

Top Bottom