• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tír Na Smash 2 (Ireland) April 4th 09 - Cá bhfuil an cáca milis?

tom2bomb

Smash Cadet
Trying not to sound no0bish but were is the event? I would be interested if it was near me

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Convention centre in University College Dublin.

To be fair I should update the initial post with more concise information.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Haha "1 Dodgy Melee disc", I think we should save that one for friendlies on other TV's while the tournament goes on. Since we might have a much larger setup this time, I say we should use more TV's for tournament matches, and run some friendlies off any spare TV's, like the 3 we had spare last time.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Google is your friend Matt.

Looks like it's this site.

It looks similar to Smashboards but on a smaller scale. I don't see any harm in more exposure, but I'd rather clean up my initial post first.

I'll make the topic, so nobody worry about it.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Seriously? It's a hard question to precisely answer. I don't know how big the UK scene is for comparative purposes, and I don't even honestly know how big the Irish scene is outside of things I organise myself (midlans may or may not have had a Smash tournament, which may or may not have been "BIG"). What you and I consider big might not necessarily even be the same thing.

From a population standpoint, there's more people living in London than in all of Ireland, so I'm sure your Smash scene is BIGGER.

From a purely factual standpoint, at our very first ever tournament in April which was hastily organised and where I was honestly expecting about 8 people to show up, we had over 30 people playing Smash throughout the day, and 20 who entered both tournaments. I considered that BIG.

This year we have more time to prepare, promote, and gather equipment. And especially because last year was a success and a lot of fun, more people are likely to bring their friends. So next year will be BIGGER.

So it's actually THIS big.

*holds hands a different length apart*

Halla Basin

Smash Rookie
Oooeeee, my first tournament!

I could potentially bring a few other people, but should I bother if they're absolute complete sUpErNoObS?

I can bring... A Wii, a Gamecube, three GC pads (one's a wavebird! Whee), Melee, Brawl, a few Wii controller yolks if need be...

I'm a n00b, too. Just in case you were wondering. Ah, but I'll be better by April, mark that!

tom2bomb

Smash Cadet
Oooeeee, my first tournament!

I could potentially bring a few other people, but should I bother if they're absolute complete sUpErNoObS?

I can bring... A Wii, a Gamecube, three GC pads (one's a wavebird! Whee), Melee, Brawl, a few Wii controller yolks if need be...

I'm a n00b, too. Just in case you were wondering. Ah, but I'll be better by April, mark that!

Yes, they will be good warm-ups :laugh:

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hallo there... erm .... Halla!

We'd be delighted to have you and your friends at the tournament. You might not be as noobish as you think. And whatever about the trash talk, "Tom2Bomb" wasn't at the last tournament either, so I have no idea if he's even any good.

If it eases your concerns though, I think the Irish Smash scene on the whole is pretty noobish, I don't mean the players mind you, because we have a few really good melee guys, but our first "official" Ireland tournament for a game that came out 6 years ago was April of THIS year.

That means we had our first melee tournament AFTER brawl had come out in America. So unless someone has been having secret tournaments all these years in Ireland and I never heard about them; we're ALL fairly new to tournaments. So you won't be nearly as bad as you seem to expect to be.

Also, Brawl is a fairly new game, so I don't know how good everyone is at that yet. Nathan's pretty handy, Matt has a mean Toon Link, and Darragh's been experimenting playing with nothing but random select. I pretty much suck though.

So yes, please do come, and bring your friends, and equipment (I don't imagine any Wii controllers are necessary, unless YOU prefer them).

Halla Basin

Smash Rookie
Yar, I've been using the Wiimote and Nunchuk more and more now... Mostly because my GC pads are fake and the Z and R buttons are all sticky and ruined. Still, though, I think I prefer hands separately, myar.

I main Snake, by the way. (Or Metaknight if I'm feeling roguish)

tom2bomb

Smash Cadet
Oh! You have brought dishonour to my clan! Mark this, knave: you will be bested that day.
apoligys, it was only a joke. But I look foward to the match
I do have a few vids of me playing on youtube if you wan to see them but there very bad quality. the link in the forums somewhere. (Whos knave?)

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Heheh, this takes me back, don't suppose anyone remembers me as the first person to actually propose an Irish Smash tournament? I didn't make it to Ri na Smash 1 but. . . . hmmm I might get some people together - for Melee only though, not a fan of Brawl. . . .

Well I'm glad to see you're all keeping it going at any rate, might see you there. . .

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Never went, just can't do the overnight on caffeine thing anymore, and they all ended up playing Brawl anyway. . . some guy had it pirated, don't ask me how

Well anyway I may well go to this. . . we'll see. . . I'll definitely need to practise though, can't imagine how rusty I must be, hmmm I actually really want to play it right now

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I added some more concise information to the first post, and also posted the "All is Brawl" topic, visibile here.

That place reminds me of Bebo. Within a minute of setting up my account, I had 2 shoutouts O_o

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Hey thought I'd say if I'm coming, which I guess is pretty likely, it'll be me plus 2, and I'll be able to bring 1 Gamecube, 1 Melee disk, 4 controllers and 1 TV if it's needed, also 1 Wii with Brawl and possibly one more, not to be counted on, tv. So basically a Melee station. . . which is all I'm interested in anyways. . .

And I'm not sure who actually managed it last time but if it's okay I'd be happy to organise the actual Melee tournament - brackets, seeding, rulesets, that kind of thing. . . that is if nobody's doing it already. . . but I'm really not qualified to do that for the Brawl tourney, don't know nearly enough about what's legal etc. But yeah I think if in the we use double elimination and proper counter-picks as well as increasing the number of games in a set the higher you get in the tournament we could make the whole thing feel a bit more professional. . . any thoughts?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I will most definitly be there.I can bring a wii and gamecube and 4 controllers.I was fortunate enough to have someone give me a new gamecube and 4 controllers.I also can bring one brawl and 2 melees.

Id say we do melee and brawl if we can.

The rules should be the same as last time except have the final best of 7.Maybe if we have time do some double elimination brackets.That way if someone gets unlucky they have another chance to make it to the final.

Me and Zac from last year will be there and my friend Eoghan(he won the gamestop release thing)and my mate Davo(my smash nemesis) will be there too.Im sure I can get another 2 at least.I can also host 2 people if they want to come from afar.

Good to see smash has'nt died in Ireland.I was getting worried for a while.Hey everybody good to hear your still alive!

Good man Dave!

Also im very familar witht the brawl ruleset if thats an issue,so I could make out the ruleset if its needed.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
That's alright Risky, I have it covered.

Id say we do melee and brawl if we can.

The rules should be the same as last time except have the final best of 7.Maybe if we have time do some double elimination brackets.That way if someone gets unlucky they have another chance to make it to the final.

Me and Zac from last year will be there and my friend Eoghan(he won the gamestop release thing)and my mate Davo(my smash nemesis) will be there too.Im sure I can get another 2 at least.I can also host 2 people if they want to come from afar.
Good to hear you're still alive too Aidan! I wonder will any of the English take you up on your hosting offer.

I was looking up the rules for double elimiation brackets before I went away on holiday (back now!) and I like the sound of them (It also gives one other person the chance to knock me out of the tournament, instead of just you :p)

I also agree we should up the "Best-of Matches per set" for the higher end matches. 5 for semi's and 7 for finals seems good.

Also great to hear we're going to finally meet the Legendary Davo, beater of Aidan.

Pikaville

Well me and Davo have weekly/biweekly sets and for the past 3 months he has failed to beat my Sheik and Falco.(on Final D at least)

We had a best of 7 last week to determine the No.1 of 2008.I won,but the best was finishing him off with his own character Marth.He was a broken man.....

I am counting the days till this tournament its gonna be epic.

I think im in love with brawl G&W.......

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
The first Tír Na Smash was early 2008, so as far as I'm concerned you were already No.1 for 2008 with Nathan being a close second.

I think the only way I'm going to stand a chance against you guys at the tournament is if I come along to your weekly/biweeklys and you guys give me some tips after pounding me into the ground.

I don't even main anyone, I'm still randomly selecting all the way!

Pikaville

Well yourself,Gory and Lynks all have a great basic game.If you just took some time to learn the advanced stuff you guys could all be amazing.

Gory should play against Dave cuz his Marth is scary good and he would learn a ton off him.

Lynks mains Link of course and I know a few of his advanced moves that I could teach him.

With regards yourself I remember your Samus and (I think) DK were great.I know all of their techs and they are pretty easy I could teach you guys some cool stuff if you wanted.

Wavedashing and l canceling are vital you should master those and you game will improve sevenfold.They really are sooooooo effective.

Id love to have some friendly days between now and the tournament so you could all learn stuff and get some good practice in.

Thats only if you want though.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice

Pikaville

Thats grand.

Im free pretty much every weekend.So whenever any of you guys want to play,me and a few of the others lads I play with are game too.

Me and Eoghan talked and we said we'd love to take on Lynks and Gory in some doubles matches too.

Is it wrong that I have more posts than all the Irish players put together?

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Nathan and Matt are vicious in doubles.

Your post count is pretty funny Aidan, I can't speak for the other Irish players, but my only real involvement on Smashboards is on the Irish Scene, despite me joining at least three years before the rest of you.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I haven't been here in such a long time. I really need to subscribe to this thread.

Good to see you alive Pikaville! :D

I've been playing Brawl over the past few weeks with some n00bish friends and they would love to come to the tourney! They ask me "Have you been practicing?" a lot so I'm guessing they're pretty eager. Alas, they know not about the Godly powers of Dave, Nathan and Aidan, the three kings of Smash. But they're practicing!

Pikaville

I gotta start playing brawl again.

Hey Nathan what do you think of Marth in brawl?

I think he's a beast.He is way fast now.Snake is great too.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Marth is insanely good in Brawl, and I dont use him anymore. I find the changes that have been made to him make him too boring to play as, over reliance on tippers for KO's and Fairs for everything else. Although Shield Breaker is now scary as hell. I main Sheik/Zelda now. Basically Sheik = Damage - Zelda = KO

I havent played Brawl in ages now. Too much Call of Duty and Street Fighter HD Remix

Top Bottom