• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tír Na Smash 2 (Ireland) April 4th 09 - Cá bhfuil an cáca milis?

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
This tournament is a part of the UCD GameSoc Vaticon gaming convention. They have very kindly agreed to provide us with a room and equipment for proceedings. The Vaticon website is here. You do not need to be a student of UCD to attend.
http://sites.google.com/site/vaticon/

Times
Melee: Saturday April 4th
Brawl: Sunday April 5th
Sign-ups start: 12am
Sign-ups close: 2 pm
Tournament starts: 2 pm

Since we’re doing a proper double bracket tournament with more matches per set at higher levels, I can’t guarantee we’ll have time for doubles. I’m happy to do this on the fly if we have time.

Prices

FEE
Convention centre access will cost €12 for a weekend ticket and €8 for a day ticket.

The fee will be €2 per person per tournament. I don’t see any reason for it to be higher than this.

The pots will be given away in form of cash prices to the first 3 winners as followed: 1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Also I’m happy to announce that I got in contact with someone at Nintendo and managed to pitch this tournament as a “promotion”. They agreed to provide me with a few freebies to give away. It will just be t-shirts and pens and stuff, so don’t expect any free Wiis, but at least we have official recognition. :D

Tournament rules

General tournament rules:

- All brackets have the double elimination system.
Bracket Sets will have Bo3 Set, winners and losers semi finals will be Bo5, winners, losers and grand finals are Bo7 sets.

- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If both players have an equal amount of stocks and percentage the victor will be determined through the sudden death match starting automatically.

- Crashing/freezing the game, making the player immobile (i.e. ic freeze glitch) or simply put making a match impossible to be finished by playing (timer doesn’t count here) will result in a loss for the player who caused this even if it happened by accident.

- Disagreement about controller ports or (team-)colours will be settled
through a game of rock-paper-scissors or by flipping a coin.

- Should a player have a colour-based disability, he or she
may request a specific colour for his or her player or his or her team.

- Items off, Handicap off, damage ratio 1.0

- Friendly Fire on, Pause on

- Life Stealing in teams is allowed

- Dave’s Stupid Rule
This is only affecting sets that are higher than Bo3. Players/Teams are not allowed to counterpick the last counterpicked stage he/she/they won on. The first stage which has been determined through stage striking does not count.

- Pamaro’s Stupid Rule
A player/team has 3 minutes for choosing his/her counterpickstage otherwise the opponent can choose the next stage to be played on.

Melee Rules

- 4 Stocks, 8 minute time limit
- Stalling is forbidden (I.e. Rising Pound Stall, Wallbomber, etc. NOT Shino Stall)
- Wobbling (Ice Climber’s Infinite Throw) is forbidden

General procedure of a set:

1. Double Blind Character Pick
- Both players/teams choose their characters for the first match.
• The player and the opponent are choosing the character in the same instance so an opponent is (should) not able to counterpick his/her character according to the pick of the player. If you (player) do not have faith in this system to work, be fair, your opponent to be honourable etc. you have the option to either write down your character pick on a sheet of paper or call somebody independent (preferably a TO) to tell him/her the character you will play, let the opponent choose his/her character, afterwards pick your character and have it validated through the person you told or the sheet of paper. Using a cell phone, notebook or any other electronic device is not allowed for this procedure due to the risk of manipulation.

2. Stage Striking
- Both players/teams take turns dismissing 2 stages in a 1221 order from the list of 5 random stages to end up with the stage that has to be played for the first match of a set.

3. Stage Banning
- Each player/team may announce 2 stages in a 1221 order to be banned for counterpicks of the set.
• Stage Banning only affects the counterpicks. The players are bound to play on the first stage that has been chosen during stage striking but they are allowed to ban the stage for the rest of a set to be counterpicked.

4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

5. Advance Slob Picks
a. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counterpick Stage List.
b. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
c. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

6. Repeat step 5 for all proceeding matches.

Legal Stages for Melee

Neutral Stages:
-Dream Land 64
-Final Destination
-Pokémon Stadium
-Battlefield
-Yoshi's Story

Counterpick Stages:
-Fountain of Dreams(banned in teams)
-Brinstar
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Mute City (banned in teams)
-Rainbow Cruise
-Poke Floats
-Jungle Japes
-Corneria
-Green Greens

Brawl Rules

- 3 Stocks, 8 minutes timelimit
- Stalling is forbidden (I.e. Metaknight infinite cape glitch, etc.)

General procedure of a set:

1. Double Blind Character Pick
- Both players/teams choose their characters for the first match.
• The player and the opponent are choosing the character in the same instance so an opponent is (should) not able to counterpick his/her character according to the pick of the player. If you (player) do not have faith in this system to work, be fair, your opponent to be honourable etc. you have the option to either write down your character pick on a sheet of paper or call somebody independent (preferably a TO) to tell him/her the character you will play, let the opponent choose his/her character, afterwards pick your character and have it validated through the person you told or the sheet of paper. Using a cell phone, notebook or any other electronic device is not allowed for this procedure due to the risk of manipulation.

2. Stage Banning
- Each player/team may announce 1 stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.
• If there is a disagreement about which player/team announces the ban stage first this has to be settled by flipping a coin or a Bo3 game of Rock-Paper-Scissors.

3. Advance Slob Picks
a. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counterpick Stage List.
b. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
c. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

4. Repeat step 3 for all proceeding matches.

Legal Stages for Brawl

Neutral (random select):
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Yoshi’s Island

Counterpick:
-Castle Siege
-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Lylat Cruise
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokémon Stadium 1
-Brinstar

Food & Housing

Food:
The entryfee does not cover any food or beverage, the players have to take care for themselves. There are a lot of shopping opportunities for food and beverage in the direct surrounding of the venue, most of them can be reached within 5 - 10 minutes of walking.

Housing:
Unfortunately during the tournament you guys can’t sleep in the venue, as it is a convention hall on a college campus. If anyone needs accommodation make a request in the thread, and if none is available, contact me and I’ll try to find you a nearby hostel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Gentlemen,

Sorry about being so quiet on the Smash front for so long, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been contacted by the Director of UCD's Vaticon convention, and they've asked me if we want to run another Smash tournament at their next event.

My initial response was "Hell yes!", and I've asked them to send me on some details and dates so we can begin working on the tournament.

I'm sure everyone remembers our last tournament, which was a runaway success, and rapidly expanded to take over half the convention space.
The date for Vaticon is April 4th and 5th of 2009.
This gives us a lot of time to get ready, and decide on what we're doing.

So just a couple of questions off the top of my head:

(1) Just Brawl, or both?

(2) Rules?

(3) What will we do on what day? I really enjoyed last years format of Tournament Saturday and Friendly Sunday, but I'm open to any other suggestions (We should schedule breaks for food as well, I remember the Smash was so good a lot of us went 7/8 hours on Saturday last time without eating)

(4) Are you coming?

(5) Can you bring Gamecubes/Wiis/Melee discs/Brawl discs? The more equipment commitments we get, the more screens I can ask for. I'll keep a list updated at the bottom of this post.

Everyone will need to bring their own controller.

(6) Can you bring recording equipment? Last year Matt was good enough to record the final, but it would be cool to have more videos we could rewatch as time went on.

(7) Do you want to be added to the Irish Smashers mailing list? If so PM me, and I'll happily add you. This was probably our second best idea last time, with the first obviously being cake.

Also if anyone has correct e-mail addresses for:
fonmujbrion21
Zackary Campbell
Mariah Cooney (Gareth's mom)

Please PM them on, as their addresses have expired since the last mailout.

I've sent out links to this topic on the mailing list.

Attendees:
Confirmed
Dave
Darragh (+1)
Nathan
Lauri
Jamie (+1)

Interested
Matt
Coey
Fuzzyness
Yeniths
Aiko
Bullet Bill
Risky

Equipment commitment:
Confirmed people:
Dave: 1 Gamecube, 1 Melee Disc, 1 Wii, 1 Brawl Disc
Darragh: 1 Gamecube, 1 Melee Disc, 1 Wii, 1 Brawl Disc
Jamie: 1 Wii. 1 Melee Disc
Nathan: 1 Wii, 1 Gamecube, 1 Brawl Disc, 1 Dodgy Melee Disc

Interested people:
Matt: 1 Gamecube, 1 Melee Disc, 1 Wii, 1 Brawl Disc
Yeniths: 1 Gamecube/1 Wii

Recording equipment commitment:
Matt
Yeniths

Also I've made a sig to drum up interest for anyone who wants to use it. I encourage everybody to do so in as many message boards as possible.

HTML:
[b][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Are[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]you[/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"]Irish?[/COLOR]
 [COLOR="Red"]Or[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]English[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]and[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]willing[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]to[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]travel?[/COLOR] 
[URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203067"]2nd Annual Irish Smash Tournament - Tír Na Smash 2 Details here[/URL][/b]
The "All is Brawl" topic can be found here.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Well I'll be, another tourney! Last one went swell so I'm definately in for this one. I know where UCD is this time so hopefully no more delays. I'll gladly bring my Wii and Brawl/Melee and so on.

I will most certainly be practicing hard for this tourney.

I vote both Brawl and Melee

Melee 'cos it kicks *** and Brawl 'cos it's a lot fairer I think. No glitches to help you this time, it's just plain skill.

For the arrangements, here's my two cents:

-Have Brawl on one side and Melee on the other if possible. Bring other games too such as

-Guitar Hero to keep us from boredom while we wait

- CAKE!

- Invite as MUCH people as possible and more people bring cameras!

- Try to be there by 12ish so we can Smash for longer!

I'm so excited to hear this is going on that I'm sweating right now. I cannot wait.

If you need any help Dave with organization, I'm open.

Now everyone...

GET PRACTICING!

COEY

Smash Lord
If you run melee i might be interested in coming over for this. NW England isn't exactly a huge journey to Ireland really.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hey Nathan, good to hear from you!

That was an unfortunate typo, it's actually the 4th and 5th.
I was temporarily overcome by madness and typed in last years dates. >_<

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
If you run melee i might be interested in coming over for this. NW England isn't exactly a huge journey to Ireland really.
That'd be class. Invite some of your mates and it would be even better!

We could have a crew battle, Ireland VS England.

But that's thinking too far ahead

COEY

Smash Lord
That'd be class. Invite some of your mates and it would be even better!

We could have a crew battle, Ireland VS England.

But that's thinking too far ahead
Yea i wouldn't be coming alone :)

And i'd be up for some crews definitely.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Brawl 'cos it's a lot fairer I think. No glitches to help you this time, it's just plain skill.
Those "glitches" arent actually glitches. Wavedashing is just airdodging into the ground, its basically just the games physics system, and L-cancelling was in Smash 64 as well, it was purposely put in.

As for the fair part, just as an example, Brawl MK vs. Falcon is one of the most one sided match-ups ever (in Smash)

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Those "glitches" arent actually glitches. Wavedashing is just airdodging into the ground, its basically just the games physics system, and L-cancelling was in Smash 64 as well, it was purposely put in.

As for the fair part, just as an example, Brawl MK vs. Falcon is one of the most one sided match-ups ever (in Smash)
You know what I mean, Brawl's the nice genuine guy who has a big smile on his face while Melee is the cool yet dodgy guy.

But enough of this nonsense back on topic.

I know three of us coming so far, I might get my bro to come again as well, but I doubt he'll come this time

COEY

Smash Lord
Oh also forgot to mention this. I know for some it might be too far but myself and J03 are holding monthlies at our uni accomodation in Bolton, Lancashire. If anyone fancies coming along for practice or just for the banter you are welcome to do so. :) Housing is guarenteed just need money for food etc.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
This link doesn't appear to be working.

-Have Brawl on one side and Melee on the other if possible. Bring other games too such as

-Guitar Hero to keep us from boredom while we wait
I'd like to see what sort of projector, screen and equipment commitments we get before deciding on having so many games running at once.

Hahaha! I'll see what I can do.

- Invite as MUCH people as possible and more people bring cameras!
Two very good points. If everyone could start telling their friends now, we'll see what sort of attendance we can muster up in 4 months, as opposed to a week or two.

And if people could bring recording equipment, that would be awesome. It was great of Matt to video the finals, and it would be awesome if we could video more.

- Try to be there by 12ish so we can Smash for longer!
If it was anything like last year, the convention officially kicks off at 11. We had 4 player free for alls going almost straight away.

If you need any help Dave with organization, I'm open.
Yes, much appreciated. You've raised some good points already, so I'm going to amend the original post again.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
(5) Can you bring Gamecubes/Wiis/Controllers/Remotes/Melee discs/Brawl discs? The more equipment commitments we get, the more screens I can ask for. I'll keep a list updated at the bottom of this post.
I will bring 2 Systems (Gamecube and Wii) and 2 controllers. However, I think it'd be far better if everyone just brought their own controllers. Every man for themselves

(6) Can you bring recording equipment? Last year Matt was good enough to record the final, but it would be cool to have more videos we could rewatch as time went on.
PLEASE do. My camera will not have enough space for all the matches and there will be many matches going on at once. I can't record all of them at the same time!

So if you have a camera, bring it. Don't worry, it won't get stolen, but just keep an eye on it, in case you lose it or whatever.

Dave: 1 Gamecube, 3 Controllers, 1 Melee Disc, 1 Wii, 2 remotes, 2 nunchuks, 1 Brawl Disc
Darragh: 1 Gamecube, 2 Controllers, 1 Melee Disc, 1 Wii, 2 remotes, 1nunchuk, 1 Brawl Disc
Matt: 1 Gamecube, 2 Controllers, 1 Melee Disc, 1 Wii, 1 remote, 1 Brawl Disc
So far that's:

3 Wiis
3 Gamecubes
7 Controllers
3 Brawls
3 Melees
3 Remotes
3 Nunchucks

Controllers must match the amount of participants

Recording equipment commitment:

Matt?
Oh yes, I'll bring the camera. But to emphasize it more

WE NEED MORE VIDEO CAMERAS

That oughta get the message through...

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Cheers Matt, main post edited. Very pretty colours by the way. :D

I'll do up fliers again to hand out in game shops. No point handing them out till the new year though.

Oh also forgot to mention this. I know for some it might be too far but myself and J03 are holding monthlies at our uni accomodation in Bolton, Lancashire. If anyone fancies coming along for practice or just for the banter you are welcome to do so. :) Housing is guarenteed just need money for food etc.
I wouldn't mind coming since the Sterling VS Euro is a lot more in our favour at the moment than it has been for a while.
Plus it'd be cool to play a group of people fairly likely to kick my butt.
I often go to Woking in Surrey for business meetings, but looking at a map, that's a fair way from Bolton.
Looks like it'd make more sense to fly into Manchester airport, and public transport up from there.

I can't guarantee making any monthlies in 2008, but if you let me know the dates, I'll see how they suit my calendar.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I'm interested =)
Fantastic, a new player!

Fuzzyness, if you could inform your Smashing friends, that would be great. The more people that come to this thing, the more successful it is. :D

Oh, and if you DO happen to have friends that are interested, please give names, we want to be able to count up numbers of those who are interested

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Yeah I'm interested, will bring a setup

Melee or brawl, w/e is cool.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, this is my last time replying for tonight.

Nice to see the English interest this time around. Hope you guys can make it over.

I was thinking, aside from fliers in shops and telling all your friends, if we borrow from Risky's idea of having a colourful sig with details, in 5-ish months of posting on various message boards, we could drum up a lot of incidental attendance.

Anyone who wants to take part, paste the sig code in the original post straight into your signature tab.

You can see it below my post, I'll use this on all other message boards I go to that work with this code.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking, aside from fliers in shops and telling all your friends, if we borrow from Risky's idea of having a colourful sig with details, in 5-ish months of posting on various message boards, we could drum up a lot of incidental attendance.

Anyone who wants to take part, paste the sig code in the original post straight into your signature tab.

You can see it below my post, I'll use this on all other message boards I go to that work with this code.
Following your orders, sir.

This should work out finely, but I doubt I'll be posting in other forums. I'll keep it in my sig just in case

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Haha Smashboards, haven't been 'round these parts in a while! Thanks for keeping us updated, Dave.
I still don't own Brawl, got reasonably handy at it over the last few months playing at a friend's house though (he's very enthusiastic about coming up from the country for this.) Looking forward to testing skills against you guys in a few months time, if not sooner.

Wii +1;
Gamecube Controller + 1;
Copy of Melee + 1;

Yeniths

East Midlands!
I really hope i can make this with a few people. I'll also bring some recording equipment with me.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hey Jamie!

I don't think any of us have been on Smashboards since the last tourney, such is the joy of the mailing list. A lot of us made it back within 6 hours or so of me posting the topic after a 7 month absense, which is pretty cool.

I haven't really played much Brawl myself, despite owning it, since I never made it to any Smash Sessions around Dublin, so I'm sure you're already much better than me. Hope your friend can make it too.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was thinking, DEFINATELY host a Brawl tournament, it will really attract players. Still host a Melee one but there's no doubt about Brawl.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
the UK scene is pretty big so expect a few hopefully

When can you confirm this, like the right dates. The earlier people can book the better

Do melee + brawl ****it

The UK competitive community (who attend tournaments) 95% prefer melee

+ Will this have housing?

I can bring a wii with Brawl + Melee

How do we get to Ireland from London? Cheapest method? (national express from London to where?)

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Edit the first post to tell people to bring their controllers, its much easier using your own controller and people cant john about controllers if they're using their own.

I should be able to bring:

1 Wii
1 Gamecube
1 Brawl Disc
1 Melee Disc (can be a bit iffy, froze first time I played it on my Wii but hasnt given trouble since)
1 GC controller
2 Remotes
2 Nunchucks

Will post more and edit signature tomorrow, currently finishing Saints Row 2.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was thinking, DEFINATELY host a Brawl tournament, it will really attract players. Still host a Melee one but there's no doubt about Brawl.
Yeah, I agree. It doesn't make any sense NOT to do Brawl, so the real question should be whether or not we also want to do Melee.

I think the argument is usually "Trying to start a new Smash scene with Brawl" VS "Let people play what they're more familiar with".

the UK scene is pretty big so expect a few hopefully

When can you confirm this, like the right dates. The earlier people can book the better
4th and 5th of April 2009. It's confirmed.

Do melee + brawl ****it

The UK 95% prefer melee
We'll open it up for discussion, but this isn't a UK tournament.

+ Will this have housing?
At a guess, no. Since this is taking place in a convention centre, and not a hosted event at someone's house.
I'm not saying it's impossible you'll find someone willing to put you up, but it's not guaranteed.

I can bring a wii with Brawl + Melee
Cool

How do we get to Ireland from London? Cheapest method? (national express from London to where?)
Sounds good. There is a large body of water at some point though. Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead airports all fly to Dublin pretty regularly.

Edit the first post to tell people to bring their controllers, its much easier using your own controller and people cant john about controllers if they're using their own.

I agree. Done!

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Bad news guys. I just found out that I will not be free on the 5th of April, and most likely not the 4th.

You see, I'm doing a French exchange with the school, and a French boy will be staying in my house from the 27th of March to the 5th of April. This of course means I will have to spend time with the French boy. 5th of April I will have to see him go back to France at the airport, although I'm not sure what time that is at, probably mid day ish. Hopefully in the morning.

4th of April, I might just be able to go. I can say to him to spend the day with the other French kids that are staying here in advance so it doesn't bother him too much.

Hopefully, he loves to play Smash!

But I highly doubt that...

In summary:

I will not be able to go to Tir Na Smash 2 on the 5th of April

I will probably be able to go to Tir Na Smash on the 4th of April!

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
That's a shame Matt.

Maybe put a Smash Controller in his hands as soon as he gets off the plane, and hopefully he'll INSIST you bring him.

Aiko

Smash Champion
All Uk players who are thinking of attending: we should start discussing travel and housing. Maybe we can get a hostel/hotel for a couple of nights. If we all book together, then we can get it cheaper. and to save Charles from losing the money, I'll be the one paying this time.

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
If you guys are serious about coming over, leave it with me, and I'll look into hotels/routes and stuff for you.

Would you rather stay nearer to Dublin city, to potentially experience the nightlife, or to UCD where the Smash is happening?

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
uh, we gotta talk it out
Well, if you give us a rough idea of what you want, i.e., where you want to stay, what you can afford, etc., I'm sure Dave will be able to get it done for you.

Bless you Dave with your mad organisational skills. Seriously, you're a superhero

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, thank you very much Matt.

I wasn't offering to make bookings for our English friends, but if they have a preference of location, I could probably find them a nice nearby hostel/hotel in a reasonable price range and give them the details.

It could also depend on how adventurous they want to be with their evenings as well.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i honestly don't mind but it has to be cheap =x unless someone wants to house us, that would be awesome. Extra costs kinda do my head in x_x

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I would but I'm afraid my flat is quite small, and at least three of the confirmed people on that list will be staying in it for the tournament.

You guys will be fine though, you have the Great British Pound working for you. We paupers over here only have that pathetic Euro thing. You'll be treated like Kings!

Top Bottom