• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is aimed at children that don't know what camping is. Think outside of competitive play. I'm talking about people that will charge their smash attacks all the way and hope for it to land. Brawl was made for them and not for tournament play.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Brawl is a "party-game"'. Doesn't mean children can't play the game, but I think the classification of the game shows its demographic audience.

Children don't need to know the definition of camping to be able to pull it off.

I don't think I've seen a child spam fully-charged smash attacks, let alone at all. But once they discover that Pit has a pretty blue arrow which comes out really fast, or seeing that their adorable Pikachu and just shoot jolts of electricity over and over. I'm sure they'd be using that 'awesome' move more often since it's very easy for them.

You don't need anything competitive related to pull off camping.

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but sakuri fails.

WTB a cross-continental competitive smash scene strike. just like....EVERYONE who plays the game properly. should just....refuse to play it.

Dedu

Smash Lord
Dun think that'll work. Gamers in Australia tend to be sucked in by the ever increasing prices set by EB. That is, until they hear about how great the internet is.
DS games are on the increase nowadays. Up to $79 for a new DS game when its less than $50(AUD) in America.
As one of my friends like to say - "L-ripoff" with his Sth African accent lol.

OMGID OMIGOD OMIGOD
Brawl ads everywhere in Sydney and its already been out in America for 2 months?
How Fail.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Lmao what's with this talk about camping, honestly.. =/
Pretty sure Pit is the biggest camper character.
I'd've never thought Snake was good.
Maybe it's just 'cuz everyone here can't play him for ****e.
Pretty sure I knew Metaknight was gonna be broken, lol, but again no one can use him that well.
Sonic should've been faster at doing moves, not just running, lulul.

xeno

Smash Ace
That's funny, I was thinking about a Smash strike yesterday.. and then Nintendo going "OH MELEE'S A BETTER GAME BUT BRAWL SOLD MORE? GLITCHES R BAD!"........................................
I miss Melee scene </3

forky

Smash Apprentice
I think it's still too early for anyone to be saying ANYTHING.

I think people STILL have no idea what they are arguing about, i'm keeping a neutral standpoint.

This standpoint has come from recent games with Kulla, and the realisation noone understands any character potential yet.

Frankly i'm waiting to see "Nerf squirtle upB"

Everyone needs to stop arguing about whats a better game, and either play it or not play it. How it scales up to melee i cannot say yet, because i played melee for 3-4 years and Brawl for about.... not that long.

Frankly, i far prefer the lack of bull**** in this game to melee, you don't get regurarily 0%>Death, fights go on longer, and i can guarrantee you that you can still have totally epic games without gayness, even VS meta (meta knight is my current regular opponent)

Everyone should chill & have a smash meet this weekend.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Bull**** kills from skill are awesome, and I think thats what made melee so great, brawl has many glitches (bad ones not like wavedashing) and flaws through out its entire game that make it less professional and skillful over all....melee is heaaaaps better then brawl, but what can we do against the tide of progress...in the end the conservatives always lose.

Anyway... zomg TOURNEY INFO:

This is a different tourney to the one stu is planning with egg, revolution CD in bondi junction is hosting a tourney on the weekend that Brawl comes out so like...the 28-29th. Its going to be brawl only, be a whole day event like last time, and registration will be the same also, making a post in the tourney thread when its created. Prizes so far are a $100 in store credit...but hopefully if we get a big turn out he can up the prizes....

Also atm he is offering brawl for $80 preorder...so if you dont have a copy yet, go get it there...and mention the tourney too :p

forky

Smash Apprentice
Bull**** kills from skill are awesome, and I think thats what made melee so great, brawl has many glitches (bad ones not like wavedashing) and flaws through out its entire game that make it less professional and skillful over all....melee is heaaaaps better then brawl, but what can we do against the tide of progress...in the end the conservatives always lose.

Anyway... zomg TOURNEY INFO:

This is a different tourney to the one stu is planning with egg, revolution CD in bondi junction is hosting a tourney on the weekend that Brawl comes out so like...the 28-29th. Its going to be brawl only, be a whole day event like last time, and registration will be the same also, making a post in the tourney thread whehttp://smashboards.com/images/revolution/editor/menupop.gif
http://smashboards.com/images/revolution/editor/menupop.gifn its created. Prizes so far are a $100 in store credit...but hopefully if we get a big turn out he can up the prizes....

Also atm he is offering brawl for $80 preorder...so if you dont have a copy yet, go get it there...and mention the tourney too :p
Kulla we'll chat about it later on tonight man while playing, stickybeak in and help out with anything the Revo guys need.

Also guys ... my house is NEARLY built.

From about August onwards - Sydney Smash & Brawl has a brand new home. (There will be scheduled REGULAR bi-weeklies - Rain or Shine - STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS)

But yes :p

Pew pew simon, those games we were having were more fun than anything i played in melee. ... The fact that technical is gone is forcing pure strategical movement and forward thinking. What a fighting game should be IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. And i don't honestly believe the technical aspect to the game is gone. It's just different. (moves that cancel into one another, some of the more advanced stuff we don't see like glidethrowing since we don't use items, and bouncing and stuff.)

Noones learnt to use it yet, doesn't mean it's not there!!

Bjay

Smash Lord
Regardless of whether one likes Melee, or Brawl - Melee is going to fade away and Brawl will have the attention.

No matter how hard you try to promote Melee and what not, Brawl will be the new 'black'.

The fact that it's new, it's the next game, and that it's been anticipated for a long while (not to mention Australia finally got its release date). The majority will move on to Brawl.

I personally don't mind either one, as I just love fighting games pretty much in general (But I don't like Tekken LOLLL).

I believe the attendance for Brawl will be higher than Melee at the upcoming EGG tournament, and if we do get a high number, a fair amount of those will be just there to 'kill time'? It'll be like a filler.

But hey I'm probably wrong, and I would like to see a nice number for attendance for Melee, and who knows, maybe a fair amount of them won't enter Brawl from the possibility.

After all, the game has been out for a few years, and Brawl still isn't technically released here. ;)

----

PS: Simon (Kulla) - are we teaming for both Melee and Brawl?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Kulla we'll chat about it later on tonight man while playing, stickybeak in and help out with anything the Revo guys need.

Also guys ... my house is NEARLY built.

From about August onwards - Sydney Smash & Brawl has a brand new home. (There will be scheduled REGULAR bi-weeklies - Rain or Shine - STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS)

But yes :p

Pew pew simon, those games we were having were more fun than anything i played in melee. ... The fact that technical is gone is forcing pure strategical movement and forward thinking. What a fighting game should be IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. And i don't honestly believe the technical aspect to the game is gone. It's just different. (moves that cancel into one another, some of the more advanced stuff we don't see like glidethrowing since we don't use items, and bouncing and stuff.)

WORD. i'm with you

Sirias

Smash Champion
I dig dat shiet, dawg (fonti) c:

True, though, I like Melee more but it's going to die. It's not like I'm trying to MAKE people get back into Melee or anything, I'm just saying I prefer it over Brawl, at least for now.
The only reason I don't like Brawl is because I don't have it and I can't play it. XD
Although I have a Wii (temporarily) now. c: So all I need it Brawl.
Hooray. 1 month and counting.

Yes yes about the strategic thinking only game blah yes yes.
It's still not that different to Melee. If anything only 'slower' because of no wavedashing/dash-dancing. That's about it. About the same speed, save the floatiness but that doesn't make it 'slower' it just makes it 'floatier', lol. It's just like everyone has Samus's insane anti-gravity suit on in Melee. c: And lives for too long. Except the stages are smaller, so now it doesn't really help, lul.

I just want to play with WOOFIIEEEE!!!!!!! </3

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
it's ludicrous to say that people shouldn't be saying anything, and then go on to give your opinion while hiding under a veil of neutrality. you like brawl better. you've told me this more than once, and your posts, while perhaps not stating it explicitly, point in that direction. fine, good on you. most of us prefer melee.

also, it's ridiculous to say that people shouldn't be saying anything. why the hell not? we play the game the way it is available to us at the moment. why shouldn't we talk about it? maybe some time in the future the technical side of brawl will develop. cool, we'll discuss it then too, and perhaps change our views.

i hope to god that some day i find brawl as much fun as melee, i really do. that way i'll have as much fun playing it. until that day, i'm gonna complain where i wanna complain, discuss where i wanna discuss, and form judgements based on the information i have available to me. there's nothing wrong with that.

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
Will you be my doubles partner?
........Serious?

If You are then I'd have to turn You down for Your own Good. This is My Debut so I have no idea whatsoever how Good all You Guys are- and if I'm far below the standard, that'll just drag You down.

EDIT: I like Melee better just because of the blazing fast combos. But BRAWL will indeed be where the Party's at, and I can't WIN It if I'm not IN It. Like it or not BRAWL is here to stay.

EDIT 2: Oh and sucks for the All-Mind-Game GamePlay now too. I don't like using My Head.......Double F-Air -ing from one side of FDest to the other. That's how it should be, simple and easy to understand for the Modern Man.

Dedu

Smash Lord
That stuff bores me.

I did that at first. Then wub wub mindgames got better. Now wub wub game more.

Comprennnde?

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
brawl is stupid melee is a ****ing awesome game i dont wanna have some stupid debate about it on smashboards but anyone who likes brawl is a F@G *looks at bjay*

edit: and cao

Bjay

Smash Lord
oo good one

ah yeah that's right i only versed you twice at rambo (once at n2c and the other at the hostel).

We need to play more in general anyway, whether it's Melee or Brawl.

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
Agreed to that. This might sound stupid but when's the actual time for the Tourney, and It's exact Address?

EDIT: Scratch that, there's a Thread for It. CHRIST I'm a noob.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman

Melee was all about foward thinking and strategical movement, however it also had a blinding fast speed and incredible amounts of technical gameplay. Its for those reasons that mad Melee a more skill based game over all: not only did you have to have incredibly fast hands to be in complete control of your character, but you have to be able to play on a level of speed much faster then brawl will ever be, you had to literally think faster then your opponent,thus making spacing and mindgames much harder. Therefor melee is a better game, it has everything brawl has, except more characters obviously, and more.

Dont get me wrong I like Brawl, if only for metaknight and his haxness, and I have a massive amount of fun playing it, its just nothing will ever feel as epic as Melee did for me: gimp people, combo to insane percentages, mind game like crazy, all with this blinding speed and skill....nothing shall ever match it imho.

And yes Bjay I'm teaming with you for everything, if you want...

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Melee was all about foward thinking and strategical movement, however it also had a blinding fast speed and incredible amounts of technical gameplay.

Melee's only problem was that technical gameplay had an edge over mindgames at high level play, making people with no brains do well.

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
i dunno cao. it kinda seemed that at high level play, like if two people of roughly equal skill levels vsed each other, mindgames sorted the men from the boys. but without the technical side to back it up, youre dead in the water. it doesnt matter how good you are at reading, forcing mistakes or whatever, if youre not fast enough to take advantage of that you can't do anything with it. true, mindgames couldn't compensate for lack of technical ability. but i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. it's not like reaching high levels of technical ability was out of reach - in recent years (judging from videos i've watched), there's been a huge influx of technical players from all around the globe.

that being said, i've never played melee at a particularly high level, so my opinion is based more on speculation than personal experience. my game with falco is...like...not that good technically, but i do kinda well without it, just by using curveball moves and that sorta thing...like i sorta have the ability to waveshine, pillar etc, but it doesnt come into my style that much. and the fact that it doesnt means ill almost never be able to beat people like you, pat, simon, jaz etc. but like....when i do play you guys, i might be able to predict what moves youre gonna do, but the fact that you play the game faster than i do means i can't really take advantage of it in a lot of situations. if my game were more technical, though, i probably would be able to.

/rant

stu - happy to team with you for melee / brawl, but i need to find out if i have work that day. i'll let you know. also, apologies in advance for when i run of the side and suispike, killing myself and you. because we all know it's gonna happen.

simon / pat - if you guys get this message in decent time, and feel like going out for a drink or something tonight either instead of brawl or as a precursor to brawl, let me know. i've got a hankerin' for some drinkerin'. i was thinking either somewhere on oxford street or the cross.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord

Melee's only problem was that technical gameplay had an edge over mindgames at high level play, making people with no brains do well.
thats a good thing imo :p

and he means at like american level where they're technical beasts and he can get waveshined back and forth across fd and finished with an upsmash :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Take it from me Font, I know <3

even though it wa a problem, **** it was sexy to watch

Jaz

Smash Ace
holy sheeeit!

It's great to hear people are taking steps forward for sydney smash! fork with the meets promise, and kulla with a new tourny
i think we give brawl a chance, but saying its better than melee... well:

If time could help brawl get better
It'll be a long time we wait

Ryan your with me for the first weekend housing wise, bar staurday night now that i think about it...
i'll probably be out for a bit of sunday to, maybe we could swap you over to someone sat night ._.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
K so I have accomodation for Friday night sorted, thanks to the awesomeness that is Jaz. Who can put me up for Saturday?

Also have Friday and Saturday the weekend after.

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
I'd try but I already KNOW that there's no way My Rents'd be Cool w/ a total stranger bunking in Our House. Sorry Man.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Saturday night is fine at mine if your willing, but I got work the next day...so we both gotta be outter there at 11 thats the only condition...as for the weekend after...if you can find stuff to do during the day thats cool to crash at mine...but once again...im working all weekend...

Also bringer...you know your flying in just in time for a tourney? :D

Top Bottom