• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
So what exactly then, is a Power Ranking.
I'm imagning a sort of chess style rating.. what are they then?
Power rankings is a list of the best smashers that is developed by a panel.

It is highly subjective and makes everyone *****.

I made the first ever Regional Smash PR ~ there's some trivia for you

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
i'm fundamentally opposed to power rankings. no offense cao. but all a power ranking system is is a lot of big wigs tooting their own horns.

if smash was like boxing, for example, with millions of dollars being invested, international tours, a massive fanbase and sponsorship dollars on the line for the best of the regional, national and international competitors, then maybe a power ranking system would be necessary.

until then, a power ranking system doesnt achieve anything, mean anything or prove anything. especially in a scene as small as sydneys.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Err, Font, you share the same opinions as I do. Offense doesn't exist. <3

We used to have a Power Rankings for Melee - then the idea was briefly thrown up for Brawl but everyone agreed to shelf it instead because it was BS

yes it was my idea to start a worldwide trend to bolster people's egos in smash, flame meeeeee :)

Dedu

Smash Lord
Ugh if camping is a way to win, then so be it.
If playing offensively is a way to win then play that way.

I suspect camping is 'bad' because it counters a close range combat style and often draws the battle out for a long time.

Yatta for Marth's Usmash Spike foot attack WTF?!?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
What are the rules for this anyway? (re. BOOST) Put gay stages like Big Blue/F-Zero/Pirate Ship in the mix - that stops camping to a large degree :) If you desire to stem down extreme camping

planetstereo

Smash Ace
hey guys

hey guys, i just joined the forum and am a relative noob at smash (not a complete noob) but am interested in some serious smash discussions and maybe a tourney or so. i heard about this forum from a friend who just joined as well and he told me something about a touney at UNSW sometime. does anybody know anything about that? Let me know, my info's bellow:

Name: Nathan
Ocupation: Student
Email: z3218589@student.unsw.edu.au
Mains for Melee: Marth, Samus
Mains for Brawl: Marth, Sonic, Ike

Bjay

Smash Lord
welcome planetstereo!

Check out this thread for any queries, and anything related to the Smash BOOST tournament.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185358

I see you're at Wollongong at times too. Our resident Wollongong Smasher ComboTurtle would be pleased with that.

Funny that, now there are more Wollongong smashers. Yay for Tom ^^

Ugh if camping is a way to win, then so be it.
If playing offensively is a way to win then play that way.

I suspect camping is 'bad' because it counters a close range combat style and often draws the battle out for a long time.
Think about why camping is bad. Not for Smash, but for generally any game, and that's the reason. The same applies for Smash.

Luckily for our scene, MOST people aren't campers.

While I have nothing but high disgust for campers, I've come up with a personal anti-camping game strategy. Funny enough, I thought of it, thanks to Pokemon, even though the two aren't related, and you can't camp in Pokemon, lol.

But yes, I hate it that much that I'm countering it in my own way. That's how much I hate it, I have a genuine gameplan for the first time.

Instead of my usual 'play and hope for the best'. As my goal is to seek epic and awesome matches (example, with Fork), but since camping makes my goal useless, then may as well do something different.

Excluding Wi-Fi, I've only had to deal with camping twice. Once in Melbourne, once in Sydney.
____

Counterpick stages for no camping is always awesome too <3
____

*shrug* I won't be playing Smash anyway though, so why am I bothering to mention this?

Oh wait I forgot it's because of my high level of disgust for campers.

Anyway it doesn't even really matter, since 99% of this smash scene have good sportsmanship.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
hey guys, i just joined the forum and am a relative noob at smash (not a complete noob) but am interested in some serious smash discussions and maybe a tourney or so. i heard about this forum from a friend who just joined as well and he told me something about a touney at UNSW sometime. does anybody know anything about that? Let me know, my info's bellow:

Name: Nathan
Ocupation: Student
Email: z3218589@student.unsw.edu.au
Mains for Melee: Marth, Samus
Mains for Brawl: Marth, Sonic, Ike

more wollongong people! add my msn l_ltommol_l@hotmail.com :):):):):)

xeno

Smash Ace
cheap: low risk, high reward
combos r cheap.
"dirt cheap": i press teh button, you do the die. see metaknight.
"mah skills are economically cheap": i outsmart you with button presses, you do the die. see snake.
just saying, that's the real sense of the word.

Bjay

Smash Lord
cheap: low risk, high reward
combos r cheap.
"dirt cheap": i press teh button, you do the die. see metaknight.
"mah skills are economically cheap": i outsmart you with button presses, you do the die. see snake.
just saying, that's the real sense of the word.
lol, I figured it would be you who would correct me, in that manner. Cheers :]

Barrbarian

Smash Rookie
smash BOOST. I will be there, and my ROB will win, as long as i don't come across a metaknight who spams shuttle loop and tornado, I can't counter that...

Dedu

Smash Lord
tommo has more wollongong smash love <3

Keep spreading em round people. I need some up here in the north shore </3

Bjay

Smash Lord
tommo has more wollongong smash love <3

Keep spreading em round people. I need some up here in the north shore </3
what about that guy from manly? manbearpig or whatever lol

With the release of Brawl, you'd think there would be more people. While of course there is, of course, it's still a small amount.

The other states seem to be getting more people though. But hopefully Sydney will get more people soon, that are scattered all over Sydney.

Dedu

Smash Lord
shuttle loop + tornado is ultra spam...
gotta spam that spam with more spam!

manbearpig
eh he was a no show.
Best gay-implied name ever though.
Notwithstanding the south park reference as well.

hmmm...

Dedu

Smash Lord
I wanna play Sheik...
And Fox.

Scratch Marth out. He's too feminine for me these days.
Doesn't wanna hit people so he hits em with his sword.

Sheik is manly even though he's really a girl.
Forward air aka ***** slap is as manly as he can get.
Hmmm!

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
I played melee yesterday...and it didnt hurt that much! So yes...I'm on the mend....

Melee is so much better then brawl its not funny anymore... Each time I play Melee it makes me hate brawl a little bit more....

I gotta play more melee

Dedu

Smash Lord
o rly?
Since when did you like Brawl?

Melee FTW.
Sheik pimp slaps to stardom!

hmmm!

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
@stu, re: facebook invite

i smoke. you know i smoke. why on earth would i join a group that doesn't want smoking back in pubs and clubs? you think i enjoy having to go outside for between five and ten minutes every hour in the winter? you think i enjoy the fact that i have to worry about whether or not i'll get let back in, given that a) i'll be drunk and b) i probably won't have the girls i walked into the club with?

of course i think not smoking in clubs is a more practically idea. but is it an idea that i want? heeeeell no.

/rant.

(lol if it was a joke and i took it too seriously)

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
i'm starting to not understand why people play brawl when they prefer melee.

if it was one or two people, sure. but to make the "brawl is the future" argument when the majority of the scene prefers melee...it doesn't sit well.

i urge everyone to keep up melee or pick up melee. don't let it die out because youre too pansy to stand up for it.

i've re-realised how over brawl i am just now.

Top Bottom