• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

unreon

Smash Ace
Gosh are we talking about fighting games again? I believe it's unanimous that Melee is the overall favourite, with 3S, ST, and MvC2 holding respect amongst the community (though most aren't played seriuosly). And everyone else is wrong if they think any 3D fighter is worth a crap.

I will definitely try my dosh-gong-hardest to get into SSF2:HDRMX (LMNOPQRST) though I can't promise much with the impossible pressure put on by university. =(

The GotF talk is a bit silly. It's impossible to discern a single entity of gaming to mark as the greatest of all time. Of what basis? Quality of engaging the player in a believable world - which OoT does admirably. Quality of gaming mechanics and balance - in which case Starcraft is certainly one winner. Pure Quality - in which case it eliminates all games older than five years because quality always gets better. Quality of sales - 100 million of The Sims can't be wrong. Too many factors.

Like a reviewing system we shouldn't mark gaming so objectively because its subject to error. That's why tier lists are stupid but tier groups are better. Here's my favourites of the last ten years or so.

Metroid Prime
Metal Gear Solid 3
Bioshock
Resident Evil 4
Portal
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario Galaxy

Twilight Princess deserves a mention because it holds the dubious honour of being simultaneously the Best and Worst Game I've ever played. :/

Other fighting games still fascinate me. Even "simpler" ones like Street Fighter 3 (haven't played it).
What.

WHAT.

*sucks at 3s anyways*

----

Countdown to MGS4: 9 days :D

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
Oracle of ages, Link to the past, those ones were ****ed good, I seriously liked Twilight Princess more than OoT but I HATE the ridiculous amounts of hintage in the 3D games - freaking annoying fairies going:
"HEY, LISTEN - Look at that thing, looks like you could use it hey, hey, use it, go, do it - see, now you don't have to have skills of perception because I can just ruin the fun of ADVENTURING for you - hence making it an adventure where you don't need to do any adventuring at all..."
That is one element that the 2D versions crap all over - therefore Oracle of Ages = teh shiz.

unreon

Smash Ace
@all....preorder brawl from revo. seriously. it's $80 as far as i know....EB it's $99.95
I'm using the EB 3-for-Brawl preorder deal. My cousin gave me his Wii to replace my bricked one, so I'm trading three terrible games (Rampage: Total Destruction, Twilight Princess Wii, WarioWare Smooth Moves) for it :D

I should get back to studying; exam tomorrow and the day after :(

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
I Tried to compile a list but it's impossible. So many Good Games.......

On a side note, AnyOne Play Magic The Gathering? It'll be a Fun Means to kill time waiting for the next Match at Meets........

Dedu

Smash Lord
Legend of Zelda II - The Adventure of Link!
Lame game. Link's Awakening is a million times better than that sidescrolling game I managed to get bored of in 10mins.

Don't forget Link to the Past too! Great music, lotsa dungeons and a hella hard last dungeon to get through. Bunny Link FTW!

I've never played Magic the Gathering but I'd like to try it out. Someone get two decks stat!

Bjay

Smash Lord
I'd pre-order at revo if I didn't have to consider the fact that I'd have to pay extra money anyway to travel there, so I'm probably going to go with my local TRU so I can get that $10 Gift Card which I feel would be more useful in the long run.

But I want to see if Big W has got something more superior.

I like JB Hi-Fi's deal but I cbf searching for games that aren't on their exclusion list, and I gotta go to the city anyway.

So yeah, my pre-order for Brawl will be local.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
yeah, i think im gonna give it a crack for a while... i like the idea of the game pvp all the way then take over the opposing teams land etcc

Dedu

Smash Lord
Caotic Is In Japan!?!?!?

Nihongo O Hanashiruno Dekimasuka?????
Iie, Caotic-kun wa nihongo o hanasu no dekirunai da ga Caotic-kun wa Nihon no Oosaka no Fukushima-ku ga iru. LOL
Sumimasen Caotic-kun wa nihongo o shi.takunai da.

watakuchi wa msn o hanashimasu yo! nanhyouki da ka?

xeno

Smash Ace
If the PvP is better then Tremulous, I'll play ;)
I've got a bad feeling I don't want to translate that.

Dedu

Smash Lord
u.zu.ma.ki
na.ru.to
sa.n
wa
su.go.i
da
yo!
^_^

ko.n.ba.n.wa
bjay-ku.n!

just sub the characters into japanese then translate using babelfish.

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
also, anyone hitting up egg tomorrow? stu? bjay? im skipping gym, so will probs get there...i dunno...middayish? assuming i dont do anything else in between

Dedu

Smash Lord
I may be there tomorrow Fonti but not from 12 as I'm seeing a friend in the city at that time.

Laters!

FOnti

Smash Journeyman
out of interest, what _does_ one do with a drunken sailor early in the morning?

<3 cao

xeno

Smash Ace
Hi Shaya, welcome to the SSS or Waffen-SS for short.
an EGG is an Electronic Gamers Guild located at the Sydney UNI, where a "Codemonkey" runs the scene. Occasionally a Jaz band shows up and dominates the scene. Sometimes a Fork appears, but never a Turtle.
Sometimes.. oh man, when you start making jokes on message boards, you know that life is different.

Bjay

Smash Lord
^ adding to some of the things xeno said:

egg is a games club at UTS, which stands for electronic gamers guild.

Every Friday they set up games at UTS, and sometimes there are a couple to few from here who will play Smash there.

We call it egg pretty much, makes things shorter and easier. 'who's going to egg', etc etc.

Several of the Sydney tournaments have been at 'egg', which was probably why you got confused. =P

Lurk less?

EDIT - fixed some of the things i said in order >.>

Top Bottom