• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF Low-Tier Tourney: Ness

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hello, all. It's me again.

Marc and I have been tossing around this idea for a while: a SWF sponsored Low Tier Tourney. It would have to take place over WiFi (which we know has it's limitations, but there is little we can do about it).

This idea stems from a lot of pros and amateurs claiming that many low tier characters are not as bad/negligible as people think; it's just that they are rarely used so their metagames aren't very developed. So, we're trying to give your character the chance to shine...just not as Fox or Falco ;)

Here are the rules we've come up with so far:

1) 64 man tourney, double elimination. Standard counterpicks apply. Matches are best of 3 with winners, losers and grand finals out of 7.
2) The only characters allowed are D Tier and below. For those that want me to list them instead of clicking the link, too bad
3) We want to make it a relatively equal distribution of characters. There are 13 characters so it won't go evenly in, but we want to avoid there being 20 Zeldas and 1 Yoshi.
4) No player can represent two different characters or take two different slots in the bracket.
5) Top 3 get some neato prize that has yet to be determined. And bragging rights.

Now, your guys' job: you need to rank your top 5 Ness...es. The top 4 will automatically get a slot in the tourney with the 5th being optional depending on the input of other characters. I hope this is done civilly or somewhat democratically. Those 4/5 slots have to agree to fill the slot and have WiFi/the means to play the tourney. You can try to recruit other smashers to represent your character, but they can only play as one character so you're up against other boards in the recruiting aspect.

The bracket will also be set up so that not all 4/5 of the same character are on the same side, so you guys won't meet each other until later in the tourney.

Thoughts? Comments? Lists of players? Your feedback is more than welcome!

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I suggest we determine the best Ness players using our xat chatroom. Battles or just plain discussion would work.

This does sound interesting...

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
i would like to participate.... depends when though... most likely yes though.
FC = <-- look at my stuff on the side.

..... who would be the top 5 though? Bartolon and 1337 zero are good.... but i don't know exactly who is the best... or who is able to participate. there are a couple of different factors for this..... TIME TO MAKE OUR OWN NESS POOL TO SEE WHO PARTICIPATES!!!

I recommend that we have pool matches under regular conditions and best 3 of 5 (to get the best example of who is better). anybody agree? disagree? different proposals for finding who's best?

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
..... who would be the top 5 though? Bartolon and 1337 zero are good.... but i don't know exactly who is the best... or who is able to participate. there are a couple of different factors for this..... TIME TO MAKE OUR OWN NESS POOL TO SEE WHO PARTICIPATES!!!

I recommend that we have pool matches under regular conditions and best 3 of 5 (to get the best example of who is better). anybody agree? disagree? different proposals for finding who's best?
Agree, however I don't know how pools work. I'll just go with the flow and do what people tell me to do. I'd love to be in this.
Definitely use the chatroom though, that'll save time and make CP'ing easier.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
yeah.... we'll use the room. bascally pools = round robiin..... everyone fights everyone and whoever has the best results moves on.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
There's just one problem with this - Ness isn't low tier.

But if you really want this tourney getting ***** by a mid tier character then the rough Ness rankings look something like this:
1. FOW
2-4. Smash64, Meteor_Master, Ref (no particular order)

After that we aren't really sure where everyone falls. I would imagine #5 is probably Uffe... being Dryn's brother probably has its perks XD

edit: If ViceGrip still plays then he's somewhere in the top 4 for sure, but he's been very quiet as of late.

I'm all for determining rankings by the MOTHER lobby too, but some of our best players don't play WiFi since it's horrible for Ness (though I suppose those would be the same players who wouldn't have much interest in this tournament).

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I'm all for determining rankings by the MOTHER lobby too, but some of our best players don't play WiFi since it's horrible for Ness (though I suppose those would be the same players who wouldn't have much interest in this tournament).
Yeah, pretty much. In most cases people who are good and actually place in live tournaments stay away from WiFi. CO18 is an exception, though... I assumed FOW, Meteor Master and Smash64 didn't play WiFi.

If ChronoCross, EB360, and NeoMagic were still around... they get my vote. I dunno if Shaky and Ref do Wifi, but if so they'd be the other 2 I think have the best chances in this.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I'd like in, but I'm not sure if I have enough time due to school.
And Ref doesn't do wi-fi, especially not with Ness.
Uffe hasn't had acess to brawl at regular intervals for months, I'd assume he's rusty.
And btw, I'm probably just about the worst Ness main here. Unless I'm fighting D3.

I'd like to see Edreeses Pieces in on this too.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Characters that would place high would be, Ike, Mario, Lucas, and best of all, Ness. The rest I might have a chance, lol. I may enter depending on when it starts.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Umm there's no way I'm competing in this sorry guys... I just can't play wifi...

I would suggest we find EB360 and force him to enter.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Characters that would place high would be, Ike, Mario, Lucas, and best of all, Ness. The rest I might have a chance, lol. I may enter depending on when it starts.
Everyone except Jiggs and Ganon anyway, low tier is saturated with horrible matchups for both of them :)

I'm really hoping I can get my connection working better, because I really hope to get in on this.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Yeah, pretty much. In most cases people who are good and actually place in live tournaments stay away from WiFi. CO18 is an exception, though... I assumed FOW, Meteor Master and Smash64 didn't play WiFi.

If ChronoCross, EB360, and NeoMagic were still around... they get my vote. I dunno if Shaky and Ref do Wifi, but if so they'd be the other 2 I think have the best chances in this.
Picking people to enter who don't play wifi would be silly though.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
..... Vergillijus, couuld we have a deadline as to when we need the participants submitted OR when this tourney starts?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Everyone except Jiggs and Ganon anyway, low tier is saturated with horrible matchups for both of them :)
Strangely, they perform well online. Ness online... well you better practice using PK Thunder online, lol. Ah I forgot to add Zelda on my list, she is a ***** to deal with on Wifi, (U-Smash for the win D=)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Picking people to enter who don't play wifi would be silly though.
I dunno if Shaky and Ref do Wifi, but if so
I said if... I was unsure if they did.

Then again, whoever enters, it has nothing to do with those of us who don't so... *shrug*

Also, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf have just as good a chance as anyone to win this thing... I'd like for there to be an upset somewhere in the later rounds. Just so it's interesting.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I play Ness on Wi-Fi at least 1 hour every day, usually more, unless I'm at a friend's house. (this is mainly die to the fact that the person nearest me who even kinda plays competitively is 15 mins away) So I'm really acclimated to Wi-Fi (especially PK Thunder). I'm sure I'm not the top 4/5 on here, though. I'd be glad to and be proud to represent Ness in this tourney, though if we're doing a rr on xat, count me in :D.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I said if... I was unsure if they did.

Then again, whoever enters, it has nothing to do with those of us who don't so... *shrug*

Also, Jigglypuff and Ganondorf have just as good a chance as anyone to win this thing... I'd like for there to be an upset somewhere in the later rounds. Just so it's interesting.
Quoting you was a mistake on my part, it was more of an open statement about the tourney. I mean, we're looking for the 5 best WI-FI Nesses right? It wouldn't matter how good they are if they didn't play wi-fi.

Like Avarice said in one of these threads, Ness dittos aren't gonna decide anything. I'll go with nominations.

Cheeseonastick

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I know I'm not really well known around here, but I'd love to represent Ness in this tourney. For what it's worth (and it's probably not worth much) I'm in 6th place on GB using Ness only. >_>

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'm not a Ness main, but I'd like to enter this under Ness, as I am outclassed by my peers of my true main.

I've got PK Jump, PKT control, and Psi Mag tricks. Also I can trip people with dtilt.

Who is Pollyanna?

EDIT: I nominate thesage. Although I must admit I'm only assuming he uses Ness 'cause he posts around here, but that could just be because he's cool. Cool unlike me.

Shaky

Smash Ace
I can do the tournament if the matches are going to be done during the weekends.

Cheeseonastick

Smash Journeyman
xD There are far too many people here vying for 4 or 5 spots. We should definately do like our own tournament/pools to determine who reps us.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I made a thread... Submit nominations there, listing in order of best to worst numbered 1-5.

If you don't have enough people who you've played, go in the mother xat chat and set up 1v1s.

_clinton

Smash Master
I'll play around in this for a bit...I'm in the NessBrawlers chat late at night if anyone wants to find me

Top Bottom