• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Sorry to interrupt the heated discussion, but if you have IOS, download that smashpad app on the AppStore. It's a great tool for watching tourneys and even provides frame data. Although it's not finished, it has some pretty good videos of tourneys of all characters. Maybe Xandercosm Xandercosm can see a Samus combo vid and some tourney results.
I AM NOT ADVERTISING!
I think it's a good app on the go.
Also, it was just released a few hours ago, and for some reason I can't see smash 4 PR rankings, only melee. it's one of the best apps for smash

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Actually, I'm happy to admit that I have been beaten by a few skilled Samuses on FG in particular. I really don't feel like that changes my mind at all. I have been beaten by Jigglypuffs before and I still think that she's the worst character in the game. I don't really see how it would matter wether I have faced a good Samus player or not.

I would like to point out that this thread seems to be a breeding place of very unusual and misinformed opinions. One person who seems to be an authority says something and then everyone else, like drones, latches on to the idea. This is why we have people in this thread making some of the craziest Smash 4 tier lists on the internet. I think it's a good idea to branch out and see what peoples' opinions are ALL over the internet. There are few outside of this thread that would agree that Samus is above top 10.

The thing is, I think it's one of those situations where no matter how many times I make detailed lists of her various crippling flaws, there will be relentless pushback. She is not a good character. I don't care if you have some strange Samus fetish, Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 , she will never be good until she is buffed. She is a situational, slow, weak, mess of a character.

I think you need to take a look at the character as a whole instead of making it your hobby to say she's so great. This also reminds me: I'd like to see what Zero would say on the matter. Not that his opinion is the be all end all but I think it would be interesting.

I won't keep arguing this point because it is futile and I have better things to do with my time. I would implore you, however, to expand your view and see other peoples' opinions in the future. Samus is a character you have to work incredibly hard with for very little reward, thus, she does not deserve to be anything but a low tier character.

Oh, and I would be happy to play with you whenever we get the chance, Bowserboy3 Bowserboy3 . I don't feel as though we have any score to settle but I am interested in seeing your Samus. I assume you can play quite well with her, considering your dedication to the character. I think it would be fun, although, I would kindly ask you not to record them as I would like to preserve my anonymity and such. Just PM me your NNID and we can play.
Good. Don't worry, I don't have any scores to settle either. I merely want to show you what Samus can do, and also if I want to get better, I need to be playing as many people as possible.

Just one last point though. I never try say she's "so great". I merely want to point out what is good with her. I have said even today that if we are being uber nice, Samus would be near the top of low tier. But the theory that she is utter garbage just needs to go away. It's not a Samus fetish, it's being passionate about a character, and also wanting to spread my knowledge around.

It's late here, and I don't know the time zones you are in, but if you are free tomorrow sometime, we should play. I am in GMT. I am free at about 5pm GMT. How would that work with you?

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Good. Don't worry, I don't have any scores to settle either. I merely want to show you what Samus can do, and also if I want to get better, I need to be playing as many people as possible.

Just one last point though. I never try say she's "so great". I merely want to point out what is good with her. I have said even today that if we are being uber nice, Samus would be near the top of low tier. But the theory that she is utter garbage just needs to go away. It's not a Samus fetish, it's being passionate about a character, and also wanting to spread my knowledge around.

It's late here, and I don't know the time zones you are in, but if you are free tomorrow sometime, we should play. I am in GMT. I am free at about 5pm GMT. How would that work with you?
Well, good luck in your set!

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
So, lets try and get this thread back on topic a bit...

Question: Where about's do we all see :4cloud: now that he has had time to settle in?

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642

Question: Where about's do we all see :4cloud: now that he has had time to settle in?
He's either low A tier or very high B tier, just because of some of his insane options.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
He's either low A tier or very high B tier, just because of some of his insane options.
Yeah, I think Cloud is clearly above mid tier. How high though is debatable. His strengths include great reach, power, good options etc, and weaknesses include poor recovery, generally laggy commitment moves, and somewhat predictable. Also his grab game from what I know is sub par. But I agree with the idea that he is nearer the top.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yes, to me, Cloud is near the top but not extremely near. He has plenty of tools that set him apart from the other swordsmen, IMO.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord

Cloud main here! I see him at B as of right now(it goes S, A, B, C...)S is pm the tier 1, A is tier 2, and b is tier 3. I think cloud needs more advancing but he is great.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Cloud in my eyes is at villager and falcon tier( just below bottom 15). he has the results and tools to prove it

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto

Well, that sounds great. In the interest of seeing other peoples' points of view, I will try to stay as open as possible. Who knows? Perhaps playing with you will change my opinion. By the way, I'm EST zone so maybe tomorrow afternoon/night if you are available then.

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Btw what do we consider as a good recovery?

Samus has indeed many options when it comes to recovery, but they can still be challenged "easily". By "easily" I mean her ways to recover are slooooow. More time spent recovering = easier to target. Along with that she is a tall target which makes it easier to interrupt her recovery. I would say she is "weak" to projectile edgeguarding due to after loosing double jump she is very helpless due to Up-B lacking sideways movement. And once again I'm not calling her recovery Little Mac bad, but her recovery has its flaws... Her recovery is above/below average depending from what you consider important when it comes to recovery (speed, distance traveled, safety and/or options).
she can not be challenged "easily". The reason she recovers slow is because she's so floaty. Her being floaty means she has more time to play around off stage. combining that with her relatively high jump, her wall jump (situational), grenades, tether and Up B recovery mix up, her own projectiles, the disjoints of Fair and Zair gives her a rather difficult recovery to edgegaurd.

and on that note, pretty much every character that doesnt have a reflecter is weak against projectile based edgegaurding tactics. And most characters are pretty screwed without their second jump. IMO, if samus were in this situation she's still better off than most. She still has a wall jump (situational), and tether recovery (assuming she's within range to catch the edge) while most characters only have their Up B.

so yeah...I think its safe to say she has a good recovery

C3CC

Smash Lord
I think buffing Rosalina at the moment would be absolutely atrocious. She deserves the hate she gets because she has been horrendously balanced from the start. If you want her to get less hate, you should be asking for her to be better balanced.

She destroys low tiers, meaning that buffing her (especially her airspeed) would just perpetuate the issue. In fact, I think Rosalina and ZSS are the best examples of unbalanced characters in the entire game. Sheik, at least, has small weaknesses that allow low tiers to at least stand a small chance (namely low kill power). Rosalina and ZSS completely wall out, like, half the cast. It's just not right and if we want this game's meta to grow and be more interesting, we want characters like that to be nerfed.

I get that Rosalina has weaknesses. I just don't think those weaknesses are big enough, considering she is basically two extremely powerful characters in one (one of which can basically negate all projectiles). To be completely honest, I think it's really self centered to ask for buffs for a character like Rosalina. I don't mean to sound inflammatory, but it really is.
I was talking about how the character gets hate, not just the fighter. I, being a Rosalina main, reckon that she is insanely hard and annoying to fight. I didn't like your statement of "she deserves the hate she gets" because let's be honest here, no character deserves hate, no matter how bad or good they are. I don't see Sheik and Zero Suit Samus getting so much hate.

I do like your avatar a lot, though. It's really cool!

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Cloud seems quite good right now. I'd give him low "A" tier. It's honestly quite crazy that he has been out for so little time, and he's already being used everywhere.
It's almost annoying how popular he is, every third person I know has at least a pocket Cloud that's decent.

I'm going to be a little more reserved and say he's B+ tier, no lower and he'll probably get higher as his meta evolves. He's good, but I feel like a lot of people aren't exploiting his garbage up b recovery as much as they should. It's not a big enough weakness to keep him out of high tier with the strengths that he has though.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I was talking about how the character gets hate, not just the fighter. I, being a Rosalina main, reckon that she is insanely hard and annoying to fight. I didn't like your statement of "she deserves the hate she gets" because let's be honest here, no character deserves hate, no matter how bad or good they are. I don't see Sheik and Zero Suit Samus getting so much hate.

I do like your avatar a lot, though. It's really cool!
What I meant is that her moveset deserves hate. I just think, along with ZSS and Sheik, Rosalina really needs nerfs.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments! I made my avatar myself. :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We might as well hate the Ice Climbers as well for their two characters in one routine. And the irony is, the Ice Climbers were never really a main for me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We do hate the Ice Climbers since they kill you if get grabbed even once at any percent.
I can tell you this much though, if they were still here today, the duo wouldn't be able to utilize their chain grabs at all, thanks to the fact that after throwing a fighter, you have to wait a few seconds before you can grab that very same fighter again. If the Ice Climbers can't use their chain grabs, then their viability would definitely be affected hard; and of course, if you grabbed any of the Ice Climbers, the other one wouldn't be able to do anything if you immediately executed the throw animation.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I can tell you this much though, if they were still here today, the duo wouldn't be able to utilize their chain grabs at all, thanks to the fact that after throwing a fighter, you have to wait a few seconds before you can grab that very same fighter again. If the Ice Climbers can't use their chain grabs, then their viability would definitely be affected hard; and of course, if you grabbed any of the Ice Climbers, the other one wouldn't be able to do anything if you immediately executed the throw animation.
Of course because at least Sakurai recognizes that. They were really a mess in Brawl, though.

D

Deleted member

I want to focus on another character that we don't talk about in here too often.

How do you all feel about :4feroy:?

In my opinion, it's difficult for me to really say. He has a lot of apparent strengths (fast ground and air mobility, great KO power, good and pressuring and juggling, decent throw game), but has weaknesses that really bring him down (meme recovery, combo food, gets beat by every relevant character, no kill confirms, poor range). His noteworthy lack of tournament representation also makes it hard for me whether to say if Roy is actually a good character or not. At least he's kinda better than Marth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Roy's sweetspots definitely pack a punch, but you do need to be close to your adversary to get the best results. It's a shame that even with a 1.24 air speed value, Roy's recovery is hindered by his high falling speed, along with the limited range of Blazer.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I want to focus on another character that we don't talk about in here too often.

In my opinion, it's difficult for me to really say. He has a lot of apparent strengths (fast ground and air mobility, great KO power, good and pressuring and juggling, decent throw game), but has weaknesses that really bring him down (meme recovery, combo food, gets beat by every relevant character, no kill confirms, poor range). His noteworthy lack of tournament representation also makes it hard for me whether to say if Roy is actually a good character or not. At least he's kinda better than Marth?
As it stands in the current metagame and with his lack of rep so far, I would place him at mid or low-mid.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3

Roy...

To me, Roy seems like a character in the middle tier. Roy has some fantastic strengths, but for everything good Roy has, there is always something drastic that counteract it in my eyes. For example, his range is actually pretty good, but his sweetspot placement counteracts this. He has great speed and aerial mobility, but none of his aerials are relatively safe. He has great, powerful moves, but are rather punishable. He can juggle and combo really well, but get's juggled really easily too. He has relatively powerful and quick aerials, but can't use them effectively off stage due to his high falling speed. His recovery has super armor on, but his falling speed drastically weakens his recovery. So in all honesty, I don't think Roy is bad at all. I think he is a very capable character, but his weaknesses are very drastic/noticable.

When looking at Roy, one can't help but compare him to Marth (being inspired from him of course). It took for Roy to be released for me to be able to find a solid opinion of where Marth is, because Roy and Marth highlight eachothers strengths and weaknesses. I think Marth played correctly is JUST in the mid tier. I do think Marth and Roy are pretty close, but there is one thing that I think keeps Roy above Marth; his combo game. It's not fantastic, but it's slightly more reliable than Marth's. It's this, tied in with my opinion of Marth that makes me feel Roy is solidly in the mid tier. Marth may have safer/more reliable moves, better range etc, and though I also think that Marth's disadvantages aren't as drastic as Roy's, I feel his better ability to rack up damage just keeps him aloft in mid tier, as his ability to finish stocks off early just gels well with this.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Holy mother of jesus this has gotta be the most pain my poor eyes have ever been in. Is this tier list legit or a joke?
Yes, I made this list exclusively to bring your poor eyes pain- I'm eevel like dat >:3
...Puff or Zelda. At the very least, they're worse than Palutena and Mac Attack.

I was not aware Lucas had 0%-Death combos. Are these true and/or reliable, or are they just loose strings that only work on players with bad DI (i'm curious)?

:4zss: has Paralyzer, Boost Kick, and Flip Kick, and :4pikachu: does not. ;P

I'm sorry but I just cant see them being the worse. Doesnt Puff have a good match up against Mac anyways? He's super easy to gimp and Puff can gimp nearly anyone in the game if given the proper chance.

As for Lucas, here's a very recent clip of a 0% to Death combo from him:
It starts at 3:13 and is then broken down play by play from there. Players are finding new stuff like this from Lucas all the time, I'd say he can be considered better than Ness at this point.

Well... great points about ZSS there! Both Pika and ZSS are gods in this game, so for any character next to each other on a tier list with a roster this large, they might as well be tied right?
My bottom 3 goes like this: a

:4zelda::4jigglypuff::4miibrawl:

You're pretty mistaken on Dedede. He has zero kill confirms and has to rely on a read to kill almost all the time, or the lucky bair or down smash hit. Gordos can be reflected too fast for Dedede to hit them back, especially at close range.

When it comes to Miis, 1111 is the most common set due to the blanket ban on customs and lack of universal Mii ruleset. Better to base it off that.

Meta Knight has dash attack or down throw into uair strings and Shuttle Loop, which can kill extremely early. He also has great mobility, frame data and burst movement options. Most of the characters you put above him aren't better than him at all.

I don't see Link having much of a future in Smash 4. Sure he wrecks most of the low tiers, but I can't name a single relevant character he clearly beats besides DK. Jigglypuff suffers from a myriad of issues, has a huge lack of results and has an awful matchup spread.

Don't be an arse. There's being blunt, then there's just being outright rude. I disagree with a lot of things on the list but I didn't outright lash at her for it.
Poor Puff and Zelda... u_u Does no one believe in their potential? xD oh well~

Well, he like places them on the stage to hop around, not directly trying to hit his opponent with them, but then he knocks them into it later back toward himself to hit them again with like a charged aerial hammer. I believe he is still semi-viable, most people are underrating him right now. It's like when the game first came out, no one thought Meta was any good any more becuz he wasnt Brawl, but people found out he is, you just gotta play him differently cuz it's a different game.
The same runs true with all the underrated characters I seem to support, I believe time will tell us every characters true potential eventually, and that's what I'm really basing my lists off of. More on the further potential of characters, rather than there useage status or results right now... maybe that's not the best way to go about making a legit Tier List, but I'm going with my gut here.

hmmm... okay then~

I placed Meta quite high, though I cloud place him higher... I think he's top 20 material, but not top ten, maybe I need to face better Meta's I guess? Concept

But Link is the Hero of us all ;)
But no seriously, he's got other great match ups like the DK one, and has all the tools he needs to rack dmg and kill, he just suffers from lack of speed in some areas and mobility options.

I was going to get around soon to making another "improved" I guess, tier list from all the info you guys have been giving me and I thank you very much for teaching me, but I'm afraid I'm out of time here for today. Maybe tmrw, laters~

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3

Another thing that just occurred to me when watching an old Marth v Roy replay I had saved...

If Roy shields a strong attack and get's pushed back, due to the nature of his sweetspot, it could push him totally out of position for a realistic punish. Marth on the other hand, if he gets pushed back slightly, can only benefit him. I noticed this when I shielded Roy's Fsmash at close range, and it pushed me back, but into tipper Fsmash range, killing him at 50%. Now say this was the other way around (maybe not vs Marth, but any character with a strong meaty attack). If Roy shields a move like Bowser's Bair, he will get pushed away and he needs to be up close to get a punish.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think that applies, because Zero isn't a solo Diddy main. What we're saying is that just because only one player uses a character doesn't mean that they're not top tier material. Diddy has a bunch of notable players besides Zero, like MVD and C3PO.

So I don't understand how this means that Diddy is higher than Pikachu.
If only MVD didn't lose to Nairo... Then this statement wouldn't need to be defended so much. :urg: Yes, ZeRo isn't a solo Diddy main, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be effective as one. He plays Sheik cause he's simply extremely good with her, and she's obviously the best character. His Diddy hasn't actually lost anything significant as of yet I believe.
Diddy Kong is a good character, but the way I would rephrases Feelicks's statement is this:
Pikachu's most notable results come from ESAM. He doesn't see much top level play mostly because his risk to reward ratio is not as, for lack of a better word, rewarding as, say, ZSS or Sheik. You have to put in a lot of effort (in comparison to some other top tiers) to make him work (note that by saying this, I am not calling any of the other top tiers braindead). He does get other top level results from great players such as NAKAT and the ones Feelicks mentioned, but ESAM's is most prominent for whatever reason. Probably because he is the de facto Pikachu even though he doesn't play the character to his fullest "potential" (by which I mean the potential we know about currently). For example, only fairly recently has he started incorporating Down tilt, a very important spacing tool of Pikachu's, into his play.
Note that Pikachu's high place is not because of ESAM's high (and inconsistent) placings. It's because he has amazing tools that theory can back up pretty nicely, and although his results are lacking compared to some other top tiers, it is "good enough" since the frame data and such more than make up for it.
Yeah but Diddy is easily as good with theoretical back up, or at least close to. And again, I'd love to see ZeRo's Diddy vs ESAM's Pikachu, I think that would be the only way to truely settle this. And am definitely putting money on ZeRo winning that, even if Pikachu -if played right- is a harder matchup for Diddy (rougher than Sheik for example).

Browny

Smash Hater
I'm am literally bored out of my brains, so I'm just gonna post what I think about each character and how they will move throughout the year, based on my observations and playing myself. I watch an awful lot of streams so thats where I get my opinions from mostly.

Firstly, I believe that this game is extremely well balanced and that no characters are 'unviable'.

:4bowser:His Buff might not have addressed his weaknesses but its just plain ridiculous how strong he is. I don't see many people using him because of how limited his playstyle is, despite it being obscenely strong. He will stay massively underplayed for how good he is.
:4bowserjr:In limbo since the game came out, I feel that once people become more aware of his many kill set ups and avoid them hes going to struggle more and more. His mains are doing well enough but when you hear of how well those players do with other characters it makes bowser jr seem quite underwhelming.
:4falcon:I've always thought Falcon was over-rated because people just don't mess with his recovery enough. Its almost like cloud, except people don't acknowledge it and kind of let him recover for free a lot of the time. Plenty of high tier traits but his weaknesses are significant and they are being exposed more as time goes on.
:4charizard:I feel like Charizard's lack of a safe kill move is somewhat unfair, almost every character in the game has at least one. No meaningful results in a long time and a quite unpopular character, he would need a lot of buffs to get more people playing him again.
:4cloud:A very good character and I wonder how the balance between clouds playing more optimally with charging limit break, and the opponents optimally edgeguarding him will play out. At the moment I feel like way too many people let cloud recover for free and they keep trying to gimp him or dsmash at the ledge and get hit by his upb repeatedly when all they had to do was dair.
:4dedede:Unfortunately, Gordos being reflected by almost everything in the game is almost as absurd as tripping was in Brawl. Possibly the most unsafe character overall in the game and will forever suffer vs anyone who is determined to keep him at mid-range. I've seen the very unique gordo combos people are doing more of and I believe he can turn matches around very fast with them, but setting those up is very rare.
:4darkpit:Just like Pit, a very good character with no real weakness despite a severely low amount of people using him. Like Pit, maybe we may see more use of him as a potential villager counter.
:4diddy: I believe that Diddy, Fox and Sonic are the only viable contenders for a top 5 spot in the game after the blonde woman trio. He has all the traits, results and popularity of a top tier character with nothing but 'potential' seeing other characters rated above him.
:4dk:Some people think that although he has his ridiculous kill throw combos, he still suffers heavily with his weaknesses. His results don't really show that at all. It's hard to imagine how anyone could optimise DK play, he doesn't really have room for custom combos but the enemy also cant adapt new playstyles to get around his ding dong, because hes going to grab you eventually, that's a fact. That said, playing him will become more and more of a chore to people as opponents camp more obnoxiously, potentially to the point of people giving up on the character.
:4drmario:Upb oos is what this character should be called. I think Doc players have far more room to optimise their playstyle than opponents do to him, especially with his downb as a recovery move. Capable of some strong combos but I think he is extremely prone to certain counterpick stages that give the enemy time to run away.
:4duckhunt:Mixing a woeful recovery with an inability to kill is a terrible choice and Duck Hunt has it the worst. I know he can get some very strong custom combos, but plenty of other characters can get stronger ones, more reliably. Unfortunately duck hunt needs them and cant really rely on fundamental gameplay to win.
:4falco:Falco to me is a character that will suffer more and more as people begin to predict his options because he has some that are very strong, but hes not always going to be in a position to use them when he needs to. As long as you can avoid his bair, living to a decently high % vs falco isn't rare and unfortunately that's what I predict happening more and more in the future.
:4fox:I feel like fox has far more of a claim to a top 5 spot than just about any other high tier in the game with a great mix of top player backing, results and custom combos. I don't see his status dropping anytime soon with no real exploitable weakness.
:4ganondorf:As per usual for poor Ganondorf, having a bunch of top tier characters completely wall him out shoots his viability completely down with no real way to work around it.
:4greninja:This character is one I have quite a controversial opinion on, but I stick to it. I feel like his combo ability, while clearly insane and best in the game when done correctly, is just unfeasible to pull off with any regularity in a real match because of how difficult it is to initiate it and this says nothing about actually doing the combos. Shuriken is massively overrated as a good projectile, its fast but that's all it has going for it. His sheer speed and kill combos are really good but racking that % is often mired in constant failed attempts at going for larger combos. I wish I saw more Greninja play that wasn't obsessive over going for nair-anything and a more careful playstyle that wouldn't see him swatted away every time he moves in.
:4myfriends:Completely solid all-round. I have heard much about his massive custom combos but like so many characters, I don't see anyone going for them because his easy combos are so reliable and do decent damage anyway. Deserving of more representation for how good he is.
:4jigglypuff:I love Jiggs, my main in melee and PM but if only her bair was faster... To me it feels like her bair is only a few frames short of making her a decent character, there's no reason why other characters have faster and stronger bairs than hers when it is her strongest aerial. With a lot of focus and careful spacing she can get in and escape combos if you react fast enough but its just not enough to counter the fact that she can almost never win any trade reliably.
:4kirby:Ridiculously underrated, but then again no one plays him. Kirby never gets much love but that's because hes so slow and linear. I think he has a similar viability to DK but we may never actually see that in practice.
:4littlemac:Like shulk, he is forever overrated and underrated. Sometimes I think he is bottom 10, then I see a mac main do amazingly well and then they lose horribly immediately after. Duck hunt is an awful stage and shouldnt even be a counterpick, it forces mac mains to ban it and then they get stuck with other heavy platform stages.
:4link:Link to me feels like he is a kill confirm on a throw away from being mid to high tier. More than anyone else I think he is a very good character but is missing just one thing to make him really strong, but maybe he needs that to counter the ridiculous KO power he has on some moves.
:4lucario:I used to main Lucario in brawl and love the character but in this game so much of his moveset are contenders for bottom 20 in the game of each attack and it shows. I wish more aggressive Lucario playstyles were viable. I know that Motsunabe or however you spell it won a tournament in Japan, I watched it, but it was literally made of flukes. You make your own luck with this character. I dont see him getting above mid tier because his consistency is just so difficult.
:4lucas:Lucas mains are getting more and more proficient at his throw combos and the payoffs are showing. His popularity seems to be slowly growing and this will translate to being perceived as higher tiered as the game gets older.
:4lucina:Seen as a contended for worst in the game and IMO, not far off it. Her kill power can be obscene at times but almost the entire cast has some sort of extended combos or powerful throws, she has hardly any. Barring a band-aid fix like what Bowser got, I don't see her status improving.
:4luigi:Its such a shame that he had so many mains who only used him for cheap wins and then dropped him. He will remain an extremely annoying matchup for many characters but not really to any of the top tiers.
:4mario:Even if players like Ally drop Mario, I don't see him falling much in peoples eyes. Everyone knows how good Mario is and with an answer to almost everything its unlikely his supposed position in any tier lists is going to be overtaken.
:4marth:I honestly believe that Marth is more limited than Lucina because his ability to get fsmash tippers in many ways, relies on the opponent making mistakes with their spacing. If their spacing is right but their timing is off, a FAR more likely scenario, Lucina will get harder punishes more often. I don't see any room for players to expand upon his gameplay.
:4megaman:Who knows where to place this character. It feels like Megaman is unlucky in how so many good characters have at least 1 top level player regularly using them, but Megaman doesn't really outside of one instance we saw at MLG. Maybe the Megaman mains feel like there isn't anything left to explore with him? I don't know.
:4metaknight:Cheese: The Character. It is good that loyal MK mains have stuck with him since his first iteration in this game and continue to push him to new heights to this day but anti-MK strategies are now popping up with ledge camping in early %'s and optimal DI mix-ups while being combos by uair. These aren't things that MK mains can adapt to, they instead have to rely on other means to rack up damage. He has oppressive matchups vs many characters and winnable vs the top tier but I feel like at the highest level he is going to get walled out by the likes of Sheik, Toon Link and Diddy.
:4mewtwo:I've never thought Mewtwo was a bad character and I think the recent buffs are equivalent to basically getting 14-24% extra damage for free every match. He has ridiculous combo potential with his dtilt to FF nair but like peach, it is so unreliable that going for it and dropping it when you could have got a 35% combo for free is too risky, I don't see that part being optimised but his edgeguarding still has room for optimisation. I am seeing more and more people be intelligent with shadowball usage and with that, he feels mid-tier or higher to me.
:4gaw:Id like to see more use of G&W, if anything because he has proven to be a solid Pikachu counter and I feel like he has the potential to do really well vs other high tier characters if we just had more top level players showing this.
:4ness:Solidly in the top 10, he has representation higher than what many would suggest he is deserving of. It seems like Ness was fully developed at a time much earlier than just about every other character except Mario and Luigi and for as long as his uair and bthrow exist, its unlikely that multiple characters
:4olimar:Half the time I see oOimar he is getting bopped, the other half he is dominating. It feels like he has winnable matchups versus everyone but sometimes the RNG gods really do not favour him when they keep giving you whites and you land a grab when the enemy is at 160%.
:4pacman:Fading in popularity because like Bowser, his optimal playstyle is rather boring to play as. Clearly capable at handling just about any matchup in the game, his very low use would make people forget about what Pacman players have done in the past and he hasn't been nerfed since doing that, just not played.
:4palutena:I have seen what Palutena players do but I just solidly believe that character matchup experience and a decent reaction time really damages her viability. The core of her gameplay is her jab and personally, I find reacting to the jab cancel and jumping out of it not overly difficult to do. Maybe the people I play against arent doing it frame perfectly but the thing about it is you can almost always expect it, her playstyle is quite predictable.
:4peach:We know about the shenanigans peach can pull with her uair but whether people like it or not, the difficulty in pulling off those combos has to be factored in, otherwise characters like MK would literally never lose a stock ever if you assume everyone is perfect. I feel she is a great character but will never be top 15 or so because her combos, while devastating, are just so difficult to reliably pull off, the narrow % range it works on makes it even harder.
:4pikachu:Much like brawl I feel like Pikachu is massively over-rated and carried by one player alone. There is literally no reason why people would be putting Pikachu as top 4, while putting villager any lower than 5th by their logic. The rat is ridiculously safe but susceptible to edge camping where he loses his extremely strong cross-up ability and I foresee this being used against him more and more.
:4pit:A solid character just like in brawl with no real weaknesses. No one seems to really overrate or underrate this character despite a really poor representation in western scenes probably because he lacks a single, very powerful option. His upsmash is good enough to fill that role though.
:4rob:ROB is probably top 15 IMO and has an answer to literally everything. I feel like if an established top level player stared using him, it would be unquestionable that he is in the same league as pikachu, mario, diddy etc.
:4robinf:Outside of that dthrow combo I feel like Robin is just too limited versus the multitude of fast characters that occupy top tier. I know there are robin mains out there doing well with her but I dont see her popularity gaining anytime soon while characters around her do.
:rosalina:Luma tricks are getting more and more obnoxious and I think she keeps cementing herself as a top tier character every time someone doubts her.
:4feroy:What can you do when every one of your approaches is punishable and no projectile? I feel so frustrated trying to play Roy because my most reliable way to hit the enemy is upb and the risk associated with his playstyle is so drastically skewed to the risk side. His combos are very good and can get you to kill % early but when you cant land that kill move and the enemy ends up living to 120... it was almost for waste.
:4ryu:Focus attack is completely broken and a contender for best move in the game, yes even better than his upb. He has some of the best talent in the world maining him, yet he cant manage results that would indicate a top tier character. If they cant do it, who can? This generally leads to people dropping characters, top level players don't take 5th place and lower finishes for long before getting bored. I think he is top 10, but on the lower end.
:4samus:If her jab and nair are fixed, I'd say shes mid tier. Some characters like Greninja can function fine with their fsmash being bugged out because its not a critical part of a moveset but when nair and jab are, that's a big deal. Versus characters that aren't always in your face I think shes fine but once again, the top tier is full of them...
:4sheik:I think she is on par with ZSS, the disparity between the two winning everything can almost entirely be attributed to the skill level of those playing her. You can have a region like SoCal where so many really good players are using Sheik and you just know this is because she is 'the best'. I am confident that Zero mained ZSS, you would find there would be far more top level ZSS players than Sheik because of all those trying to emulate his success.
:4shulk:Shulk has the unusual distinction of having a whole range of top level players all using him at some point, and all dropping him. I guess not only were they unable to win with him but they didn't believe he had the potential to work around his weaknesses. In a game where optimisation is seeing the increasing use of custom combos, Shulk is lagging behind with his inability to convert hard off a hit.
:4sonic:Along with Fox and Diddy, I believe he is the only other contender for a top 5 spot in this game. Opponents cant simply adapt to Sonic, because he is literally made of options, he will always have at least one more than the opponent does and this can lead to future optimisation specifically with how reactionary and safe he can make his approaches.
:4tlink:Hyuuga was amazing and Toon Link has solid representation everywhere. His combos are predictable, but powerful. However, I see the future not going in Toon Links favour as people stop falling into his traps and willingly take an option which might result in them getting hit, but it sure is better than taking a bomb-fair to the face.
:4villager:I don't think anyone has been 'sleeping' on villager, he just isn't strong enough to be an obvious top tier choice. Villager can adapt to any situation and its usually him dictating the pace of them match. With a massive comeback potential, villager isn't really ever threatened and for that reason will always remain a high tier, top 10 character IMO.
:4wario:Wario mains keep dropping him but its obvious why. Reading a recent Sakurai interview about how he made his fsmash better in this game by giving it more range is just sad. With his brawl fsmash I'm sure he would be easily high tier. Without it, he is a contender for worst kill options in the game (except for waft of course) only surpassed by the likes of Jigglypuff, Duck Hunt, Lucina etc. Will probably continue to drop in usage, might even end up in the lower tiers honestly.
:4wiifit:WFT is a good character that requires the player to be very opportunistic but also very patient, her gameplan is a double edged sword. I don't see the character ever breaking past the mid range of mid tier because her optimal playstyle just isn't popular and like so many characters that will affect how much she advances compared to others.
:4yoshi:Yoshi, I believe is a top 10 character with the worst representation of all the high tier characters. I think in many ways he suffers because of his unorthodox combo game and he doesn't really have an option to get very early KO's. He will probably forever be underused for how good he is.
:4zelda:Yeah, Zelda is bad. Her elevator combo is amazing but some truly horrid landing options make her frustrating to play. Not much to say here, get lots of rage and elevator to win.
:4zss:I think she is on-par with Sheik and possibly better. I feel like the only thing separating the two is Sheiks dthrow-upb but when people call that a 50:50 its not really true since vanish doesn't combo at higher %'s. Meanwhile, ZSS simply kills earlier with rage and you don't even need the upb to finish. Her punish game can only get more varied and refined.
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:These three we may never know how they rate. We know they aren't top/high tier but most people don't even know what their attacks are, there are too many unknowns.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah but Diddy is easily as good with theoretical back up, or at least close to. And again, I'd love to see ZeRo's Diddy vs ESAM's Pikachu, I think that would be the only way to truely settle this. And am definitely putting money on ZeRo winning that, even if Pikachu -if played right- is a harder matchup for Diddy (rougher than Sheik for example).
That wouldn't make much of a difference though because ZeRo and ESAM are not of equal skill level. If ZeRo had to try harder with Diddy against ESAM than when he uses Sheik, it would mean that the matchup is somewhat in Pika's favor, but ZeRo still is a much better player.
Also, you already got your wish, lol:

:4pikachu:Much like brawl I feel like Pikachu is massively over-rated and carried by one player alone.
Gonna ignore this part. I talked about it one of my older posts if you want to know my thoughts on that.

There is literally no reason why people would be putting Pikachu as top 4, while putting villager any lower than 5th by their logic.
Maybe because Pikachu is still a better character than Villager? Frame data and theory matter in tier lists as well.

The rat is ridiculously safe but susceptible to edge camping where he loses his extremely strong cross-up ability and I foresee this being used against him more and more.
Wait, what? Don't get me wrong, Pikachu has his flaws, but it's definitely not edge camping. If that were true, back when we used customs and Villager with Trip Sapling and Explosive Balloons was a thing, Jtails wouldn't have won using Pikachu against ADHD in KTAR XII. Even now, none of Pikachu's worse matchups are bad because of the opponent edge camping.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
That wouldn't make much of a difference though because ZeRo and ESAM are not of equal skill level. If ZeRo had to try harder with Diddy against ESAM than when he uses Sheik, it would mean that the matchup is somewhat in Pika's favor, but ZeRo still is a much better player.
Also, you already got your wish, lol:

Gonna ignore this part. I talked about it one of my older posts if you want to know my thoughts on that.

Maybe because Pikachu is still a better character than Villager? Frame data and theory matter in tier lists as well.

Wait, what? Don't get me wrong, Pikachu has his flaws, but it's definitely not edge camping. If that were true, back when we used customs and Villager with Trip Sapling and Explosive Balloons was a thing, Jtails wouldn't have won using Pikachu against ADHD in KTAR XII. Even now, none of Pikachu's worse matchups are bad because of the opponent edge camping.
Fox, Sonic and Diddy all have far more results, far more top players and all round everything better than Pikachu. I find it hard how anyone could argue Pikachu deserves to be above them.

If you removed one top player from those three (say, larrylurr/6wx/mvd) there are still many other top players using those characters across multiple continents, winning decently large tournaments. Remove es4m from pikachu, and name a single pikachu winning tournaments over say, 50 people? I've honestly never heard of one.

Pikachu has the same claim to high tier as Villager, Ryu, Mario and Metaknight. You cant just say 'Pikachu is a better character than villager' because to this day, Pikachu has never done more than villager has. Remova Ranai and es4m from the equation as outliers and they both honestly look like they arent even top 10.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
So, the DLC is coming out on the 4th then... looks like we will (hopefully) be starting up voting too sometime soon.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Both of you two are wrong, it comes out the 3rd for the US because Japan is one day ahead of us silly!I am SUPER hyped if you can't tell by any of what I am saying or my avi or my mains bar. I also dropped cloud right before he got bodied in that tournament.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'll be trying out Corrin first. I'm just more interested in him, really.
He looked very good from the sneak peek we got yesterday.
This is the video in case any of you missed it. There are plenty of others around as well.
Bloody hell ain't Bayonetta's screams annoying.
Everyone will pick up Lucas so that they can freeze Bayonetta and stop her from screaming.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Everyone will pick up Lucas so that they can freeze Bayonetta and stop her from screaming.
Aaaaaaaaaa....
AAAAAAAAAA!

Are you really going to tell me NO ONE in the dev team looked at Bayonneta and thought "Oh boy, this constant screaming is annoying, we should change it for something else!"
She manages to be worse than Ness.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Aaaaaaaaaa....
AAAAAAAAAA!

Are you really going to tell me NO ONE in the dev team looked at Bayonneta and thought "Oh boy, this constant screaming is annoying, we should change it for something else!"
She manages to be worse than Ness.
Don't worry, it will be fixed in the next......... oh yeah

Top Bottom