• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4diddy::4ness::4fox::4sonic::4mario::4yoshi::4ryu:

+ :4fox:: This is mostly a counter vote for those who are voting against Fox. Fox as a character has been improving more and more as time goes on, even with his infinite jab combo taken away. Yes it is true that not many people use Fox, so we do not see much of him. However, when we do, the plays just keep getting better and better. Fox is solid Top 10 material.

- :4ryu:: So it seems that Ryu has moved up a tier. I disapprove, but so be it. However, people are still voting him up thinking that he is S-Tier potential? He is a good character, I will admit, but it just seems as if people keep pushing him because "woo-hoo Ryu hype" when he really is not that special. I respect people's opinions, yet I know how some people are around here, so I don't expect mine to get the same treatment.
Ike and DK moved up for the same reasons as Ryu, hype(but unlike them, he actually has a real chance in being top 5/S Tier)

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
Changing my vote due to a realization I had.
:4ryu::4sonic::4mario::4diddy::4fox::4ness::4yoshi:
+:4ryu:: Splendid data, good raw output, has multiple different projectile, approach, and kill options, can (and will) place high in tournament play, and more.
-:4yoshi:: Results. Yoshi definitely does not deserve to stay in Tier 3, however, if people are willing to put forth the effort to keep him where he is currently. Move him down for now, and in a few months when we're doing this again, we'll see who's done what with the character and we'll go from there.

As for :4ness:, I figured he was better in Tier 3, but I reconsidered my vote after remembering that he does have a solid neutral game, more than a couple of tricks with PK Fire, good movement options, a kill throw (and several more kill options), a good spacing game, and (distance-wise) a pretty fair recovery. The only reason I place him below Fox is because rushdown absolutely destroys Ness, and a fast character such as Fox can sweep Ness under the rug. In short, Ness deserves to be at the bottom of this tier and not the top of the last one we ordered.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just realized something, are the characters organized in order or not? Literally just started thinking about this.

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
I just realized something, are the characters organized in order or not? Literally just started thinking about this.
I'm not sure what you mean, but you're supposed to put the characters in order of best to worst from left to right when you vote. The order of characters in the OP is the average of our votes.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
:4sonic::4mario::4diddy::4fox::4ryu::4ness::4yoshi:

Might use votes later. Honestly, it would have been nice seeing :4villager: get into this tier as well.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Changing my vote due to a realization I had.
:4ryu::4sonic::4mario::4diddy::4fox::4ness::4yoshi:
+:4ryu:: Splendid data, good raw output, has multiple different projectile, approach, and kill options, can (and will) place high in tournament play, and more.
-:4yoshi:: Results. Yoshi definitely does not deserve to stay in Tier 3, however, if people are willing to put forth the effort to keep him where he is currently. Move him down for now, and in a few months when we're doing this again, we'll see who's done what with the character and we'll go from there.

As for :4ness:, I figured he was better in Tier 3, but I reconsidered my vote after remembering that he does have a solid neutral game, more than a couple of tricks with PK Fire, good movement options, a kill throw (and several more kill options), a good spacing game, and (distance-wise) a pretty fair recovery. The only reason I place him below Fox is because rushdown absolutely destroys Ness, and a fast character such as Fox can sweep Ness under the rug. In short, Ness deserves to be at the bottom of this tier and not the top of the last one we ordered.
I think already voted a couple pages ago. Not 100% sure.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
If you're talking about the main page's Tier 2 and Tier 1, then no. Those are just placeholders. Right now we're supposed to post our personal orders of the Tier 2 so Browny can average it and post a proper order. Until the tier says LOCKED next to it, that order is just to let people know who to organize and vote up or down.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm not sure what you mean, but you're supposed to put the characters in order of best to worst from left to right when you vote. The order of characters in the OP is the average of our votes.
If you're talking about the main page's Tier 2 and Tier 1, then no. Those are just placeholders. Right now we're supposed to post our personal orders of the Tier 2 so Browny can average it and post a proper order. Until the tier says LOCKED next to it, that order is just to let people know who to organize and vote up or down.
I mean as in characters being ranked to their placement(Shiek#1 and Rosalina being #2 or Pit being the first person in tier 3 for example)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I mean as in characters being ranked to their placement(Shiek#1 and Rosalina being #2 or Pit being the first person in tier 3 for example)
Only the tiers that say "(LOCKED)" after them have in-tier rankings finalized. The others are still being/going to be voted on, and for now are just groups of fighters in no particular order.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Unless a tier has locked next to it, the order is a placeholder. It doesn't mean anything yet.

Cyclone_

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLAMECMCT
:4sonic::4diddy::4mario::4ryu::4fox::4ness::4yoshi:

+:4sonic: He has a good match up against shiek along with the ability to kill really early with up airs if di'ed wrong
-:4yoshi: Not enough results to show that he should be in this tier

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
well this is funny, look back at the voting on tier 3 and people were asking why ryu should move up and i was arguing for how good ryu is but now...
well i now know how i will use my second vote(ill edit my vote into my original post later):
-1 :4ryu: while i think he is a VERY good character, i think tier one is pushing it a bit too much; people say sonic isnt tier one material because he loses to camping/defensive play and shield... well funnily enough the same applies to ryu, i think he struggles even more against defensive play and zoning than sonic does (but then again i dont think sonic actually struggles vs defensive play all that much tbh, but thats a different matter) and whilst he does have good shield breaking potential especially with collarbone breaker(or w/e its called) it is often pretty obvious and i see it mainly being used as a mixup(albeit an extreemely good and potent one) on a shield happy opponent, but ryus throw game is rather... meh, he doesnt have a kill or a combo throw afaik(as always, please correct me if im wrong) so while i dont think his ability to deal with shields is bad, if its used as an argument against sonic, who has a decent kill throw and the mobility to easily get the grab, then i think it can just as well be used against ryu. talking about mobility, its another reason why ryu can struggle with good zoning and dont forget, this isnt sf, he cant just throw out hadokens to camp out his opponent. another thing to remember is his recovery, its far from being the worst recovery, yes, but that doesnt change the fact that its rather linear and, depending on which recovery he choses, theres a way to deal with it(though shoryu is VERY scary to intercept bc if u mess up its gg).

now before anyone misunderstands, i dont think hes bad, i dont think he should go down to tier 3 but i do think there are better characters in tier 2 than ryu(sonic, mario & diddy). while i do think he has amazing strengths, that doesnt mean that we should overlook his weaknesses :/

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Lol. The undeserved hype Ryu gets. In my personal opinion, I think he's mid tier 3.
Not being funny, but you're saying Ryu, who can pull off insanely powerful combos and kill extremely early should be tier 3? Just watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BYqkKsOywQ. Just look at the first kill he gets! Combo'd ZSS to death at 57%... jeez.

well this is funny, look back at the voting on tier 3 and people were asking why ryu should move up and i was arguing for how good ryu is but now...
well i now know how i will use my second vote(ill edit my vote into my original post later):
-1 :4ryu: while i think he is a VERY good character, i think tier one is pushing it a bit too much; people say sonic isnt tier one material because he loses to camping/defensive play and shield... well funnily enough the same applies to ryu, i think he struggles even more against defensive play and zoning than sonic does (but then again i dont think sonic actually struggles vs defensive play all that much tbh, but thats a different matter) and whilst he does have good shield breaking potential especially with collarbone breaker(or w/e its called) it is often pretty obvious and i see it mainly being used as a mixup(albeit an extreemely good and potent one) on a shield happy opponent, but ryus throw game is rather... meh, he doesnt have a kill or a combo throw afaik(as always, please correct me if im wrong) so while i dont think his ability to deal with shields is bad, if its used as an argument against sonic, who has a decent kill throw and the mobility to easily get the grab, then i think it can just as well be used against ryu. talking about mobility, its another reason why ryu can struggle with good zoning and dont forget, this isnt sf, he cant just throw out hadokens to camp out his opponent. another thing to remember is his recovery, its far from being the worst recovery, yes, but that doesnt change the fact that its rather linear and, depending on which recovery he choses, theres a way to deal with it(though shoryu is VERY scary to intercept bc if u mess up its gg).

now before anyone misunderstands, i dont think hes bad, i dont think he should go down to tier 3 but i do think there are better characters in tier 2 than ryu(sonic, mario & diddy). while i do think he has amazing strengths, that doesnt mean that we should overlook his weaknesses :/
You make some fair points in this, but what you said about Ryu losing to camping and defensive play is rather wrong. Ryu doesn't lose to defensive play or shields at all. He has plenty of safe options for shields, with his Fair being a good example. Comes out 1 frame later than Sheik's, and does over 3x as much damage, causing great shield stun. In fact, the shield changes in the recent patch have helped Ryu arguably one of the best, as he has even more shieldbreaking capability. Other than Collarbone Breaker (which is a guaranteed shield break now btw), he can lock people in shields now to a break, with things like Nair to true Shoryuken and Nair to Dtilt to Strong Shoryuken. These will break full shields. Also, his Focus Attach does great shield damage anyway, can now also break weakened shields, so if you hit a Fair on a shield and the opponent still shields, you can actually break a shield with a Focus Attack. Camping characters such as Link or Toon Link for example aren't a huge problem for Ryu; he has good mobility, with a above average dashing speed, and one of the best air speeds in the game, tied in with a great short hop and fast fall, meaning he has plenty of room to make a safe approach. Remember Focus Attack can be cancelled into a direction at any moment before it strikes, and absorbs an attack. Not only does this give Ryu yet another approach option, it also gives him a way to get in on an opponent and get a combo started, even tank a gimp off stage to help recover, or help move in for a grab etc. About Throws, Down Throw can combo into an aerial until mid percents, which is when Ryu can start comboing into a kill. He doesn't have a kill throw that kills reliably (I say this because Back Throw and Forward Throw can kill at the ledge when Ryu has a bit of rage), and though having one would be nice, he doesn't need one, as most of the time Ryu can combo the opponent into an early kill. If Ryu couldn't kill until high percents, then yes I see not having a kill throw would be a problem, but when you can effectively finish an opponent off at an average of about 50%, I don't think that's needed. Forward Throw can also lead into a spike at mid percents off stage. Speaking of spikes, he can also combo into his spike at any percent above about 40% at the edge.

You are correct about his Hadoken, it is not the best projectile, but Ryu's aim isn't to use his projectile to camp people out in this game. Use it to force the opponent to make a reaction, such as a hasty apporach, which Ryu thrives off. Or, use it to force a shield, which as explained above isn't the best option to do against him. Speaking of which, Ryu has a good shield game too, meaning the opponent attacking Ryu's shield is very unsafe.

His recovery is not as predictable as people make out. Having a moving hitbox with his side Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (side special) is helpful for recovery, and remember true Shoryuken has invincibility on it, as well as granting an improved distance. Yeah, if Ryu decides to recover low with his side B, it can be a bit easier to get him, but if he uses it while up in the air, thats when things get interesting. He can get closer to the stage, then use a Focus Attack to tank a hit while going downwards, then do true Shoryuken to recover to the ledge. You know that video I shared earlier where you asked about phantom hits? Go check that out. At some point in the video, you see an example of this. Ryu tanks a hit with Focus Attack where if he didn't he would have clearly been killed.

Don't worry, I am not antagonising or picking fault with you, and I respect your opinion of you thinking Ryu is tier 2. However, from where I stand, I can see Ryu potentially in the top tier. If not, he certainly is better than the likes of Mario and Sonic.

Edit: Also for clarity, I have no connection to Ryu at all. Not a character I play, so no main bias. I have never played Street Fighter before, so there is no hype for that game. All this is literally just pure facts for Smash 4, experiences (my friend actually dual mains Ryu), and reading opinions/scribes of top level players.

Last edited by a moderator:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
You make some fair points in this, but Ryu what you said about Ryu losing to camping and defensive play is rather wrong. Ryu doesn't lose to defensive play or shields at all. He has plenty of safe options for shields, with his Fair being a good example. Comes out 1 frame later than Sheik's, and does over 3x as much damage, causing great shield stun. In fact, the shield changes in the recent patch have helped Ryu arguably one of the best, as he has even more shieldbreaking capability. Other than Collarbone Breaker (which is a guaranteed shield break now btw), he can lock people in shields now to a break, with things like Nair to true Shoryuken and Nair to Dtilt to Strong Shoryuken. These will break full shields. Also, his Focus Attach does great shield damage anyway, can now also break weakened shields, so if you hit a Fair on a shield and the opponent still shields, you can actually break a shield with a Focus Attack. Camping characters such as Link or Toon Link for example aren't a huge problem for Ryu; he has good mobility, with a above average dashing speed, and one of the best air speeds in the game, tied in with a great short hop and fast fall, meaning he has plenty of room to make a safe approach. Remember Focus Attack can be cancelled into a direction at any moment before it strikes, and absorbs an attack. Not only does this give Ryu yet another approach option, it also gives him a way to get in on an opponent and get a combo started, even tank a gimp off stage to help recover, or help move in for a grab etc. About Throws, Down Throw can combo into an aerial until mid percents, which is when Ryu can start comboing into a kill. He doesn't have a kill throw that kills reliably (I say this because Back Throw and Forward Throw can kill at the ledge when Ryu has a bit of rage), and though having one would be nice, he doesn't need one, as most of the time Ryu can combo the opponent into an early kill. If Ryu couldn't kill until high percents, then yes I see not having a kill throw would be a problem, but when you can effectively finish an opponent off at an average of about 50%, I don't think that's needed. Forward Throw can also lead into a spike at mid percents off stage. Speaking of spikes, he can also combo into his spike at any percent above about 40% at the edge.

You are correct about his Hadoken, it is not the best projectile, but Ryu's aim isn't to use his projectile to camp people out in this game. Use it to force the opponent to make a reaction, such as a hasty apporach, which Ryu thrives off. Or, use it to force a shield, which as explained above isn't the best option to do against him. Speaking of which, Ryu has a good shield game too, meaning the opponent attacking Ryu's shield is very unsafe.

His recovery is not as predictable as people make out. Having a moving hitbox with his side Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (side special) is helpful for recovery, and remember true Shoryuken has invincibility on it, as well as granting an improved distance. Yeah, if Ryu decides to recover low with his side B, it can be a bit easier to get him, but if he uses it while up in the air, thats when things get interesting. He can get closer to the stage, then use a Focus Attack to tank a hit while going downwards, then do true Shoryuken to recover to the ledge. You know that video I shared earlier where you asked about phantom hits? Go check that out. At some point in the video, you see an example of this. Ryu tanks a hit with Focus Attack where if he didn't he would have clearly been killed.

Don't worry, I am not antagonising or picking fault with you, and I respect your opinion of you thinking Ryu is tier 2. However, from where I stand, I can see Ryu potentially in the top tier. If not, he certainly is better than the likes of Mario and Sonic.

Edit: Also for clarity, I have no connection to Ryu at all. Not a character I play, so no main bias. I have never played Street Fighter before, so there is no hype for that game. All this is literally just pure facts for Smash 4, experiences (my friend actually dual mains Ryu), and reading opinions/scribes of top level players.
oh dont worry about bias, u backed it up with arguments so i wouldnt care even if there was(note im not saying u are bias just that i would care if u were), about him maybe being top tier, i wouldnt disagree, i even said in my vote for this tier that i think ryu has the potential to be top tier, i just dont quite see it yet.

i wont say anything about the part on shields, all that comes to mind is: touché... but on mobility? yes his aerial mobility is very good, but his ground mobility? not so much, his dash speed is somewhere around 30th in the game iirc. i didnt know his throws comboed at mid % so thats a nice bonus.

what i meant with he struggles with defensive play, is he struggles with character which can out zone him/ space him out, this doesnt have to be, but can be through projectiles. an example for me would be trela vs esam at tbh, sure, in the second game trela messed up badly, but in the first game, when esam played more defensive u could see trela was struggling. i will use the second game of that set for the point about recovery though, as his first stock was taken through a spike from above on tatsu, (sure thunder is disjointed so its a lot safer than for most other chars but the point still stands) because tatsu is linear, sure he can use focus but, once he uses tatsu hes locked into it , and multi hit moves beat focus and usually drag him down/ gimp him due to how the hits link together so you can deal with them as long as u use the right measures vs the right move. i did forget shoryu has invincibility on it(dont ask me why, seeing as its one of the main reasons why i hate that move with a passion)

as for hadoken, yes i do know what they are used for and they are a good tool, what i meant with that statement was that, unlike in sf, u cant use them to deal with defensive play to basically "counter-zone".

be that as it may, thank you for writing that out, its definitely given me food for thought, and my opinion isnt ridgid, i still dont think he is quite top tier material but my opinion on him did get even more favourable than before. also dw about "antagonizing" me, as long as u dont write bs for ur reasoning(i cant use him so no one else can for eg.) then i have no problem with u saying my opinion is complete garbo, just back it up with some (very) good arguments ;)

Seige

Smash Cadet
+1 :4sonic:
-1 :4ryu:

:4sonic::4fox::4mario::4diddy::4ness::4ryu::4yoshi:

My belief would be Ryu is the bottom of Tier 2 and Yoshi is the top of Tier 3, while Meta Knight takes Ryu's current spot.
Quite generous considering I preferred Ryu in Tier 3. Those are my honest votes and a nice counter Ryu vote, so it works out.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
This is why I said "personal" opinion. Anyway:

While I think he is a good character, I think tier one is pushing it a bit too much; people say sonic isnt tier one material because he loses to camping/defensive play and shield... well funnily enough the same applies to ryu, i think he struggles even more against defensive play and zoning than sonic does (but then again i dont think sonic actually struggles vs defensive play all that much tbh, but thats a different matter) and whilst he does have good shield breaking potential especially with collarbone breaker(or w/e its called) it is often pretty obvious and i see it mainly being used as a mixup(albeit an extreemely good and potent one) on a shield happy opponent, but ryus throw game is rather... meh, he doesnt have a kill or a combo throw afaik(as always, please correct me if im wrong) so while i dont think his ability to deal with shields is bad, if its used as an argument against sonic, who has a decent kill throw and the mobility to easily get the grab, then i think it can just as well be used against ryu. talking about mobility, its another reason why ryu can struggle with good zoning and dont forget, this isnt sf, he cant just throw out hadokens to camp out his opponent. another thing to remember is his recovery, its far from being the worst recovery, yes, but that doesnt change the fact that its rather linear and, depending on which recovery he choses, theres a way to deal with it(though shoryu is VERY scary to intercept bc if u mess up its gg).

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
-1 :4fox:

2::4fox::4mario::4sonic::4ness::4diddy::4yoshi::4ryu: (Pre-changes)
2: :4sonic::4fox::4mario::4ness::4diddy::4yoshi::4ryu: (After-changes)

Sonic is a great character. He has a lot of options and a lot of them are safe. He could also camp really well with Spin Dash so I think that he should lead Tier 2. Fox I feel like is a good character but he certainly isn't good enough to lead Tier 2 or be above Mario, Ness or Sonic. So I think he should move down multiple spaces but since I can only move him once this is the best I could do with what I have.

EDIT: Ignore this Post.

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames

Sonic is a great character. He has a lot of options and a lot of them are safe. He could also camp really well with Spin Dash so I think that he should lead Tier 2. Fox I feel like is a good character but he certainly isn't good enough to lead Tier 2 or be above Mario, Ness or Sonic. So I think he should move down multiple spaces but since I can only move him once this is the best I could do with what I have.
I think you've misunderstood how this voting works. The +1/-1 voting is for which tier the specific character will go to, while the list is what order you think the tier should be in. EX. -1 :4fox: means you think fox should drop down to tier 3, or that you are countering a vote that would send him to tier 1. What it doesn't mean is that you want fox to move down WITHIN his tier.

TimG57867

Smash Ace

So taking what you said into account and what the others said, I think this is what you should be going for:

:4sonic::4mario::4ness::4fox::4yoshi::4ryu:

By doing this, you help secure Sonic's spot at the top of tier 2 while making Fox go below him, Mario and Ness. And at the same time you won't you be advocating for any character to move up or down a tier. Only vote up or down if you want the character to go to tier 1, drop to tier 3, or counter votes which you think are irrational. The character with the highest number of +1 votes will go up to tier 1 while the character with the most -1 will drop to tier 3. If want Fox to stay in tier 2, don't downvote him. Just put him in the spot you find most appropriate. If you don't want anyone to move, only upvote or downvote a character if you think they've gotten more upvotes or downvotes than they deserve.

FoxBrawler269

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this double post
Omg Shiek should not be at the top. He is the worst. He is so friggin cheap. All he ever does is side B and down air. I don't know what game you guys are playing, but it's not the same one I'm playing.

Forgot my vote sorry.

Is this right? Fox should be top

:4fox::4sonic::4yoshi::4ness::4ryu::4mario:

FoxBrawler269

Banned via Warnings
Sorry for the multiple posts.

You have Ryu so high. Like what if you mess up an inptu? You lose thats what. Fireballs are trash. He has no results.
Omg. Why are you following me everywhere? Disregard this troll, guys. He's been following me everywhere.
:happysheep::happysheep::happysheep::happysheep:

Top Bottom