• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

TimG57867

Smash Ace
I just think people should check out what others were voting. For example, I had one vote left, and was struggling to decide between Marth and Roy, but after seeing Roy already had a few votes, it seemed pointless me voting him up as lots of other people had the same opinion, so I went Marth.
Yeah. For instance, I really wanted upvote :4greninja:, but since practically no one has voted for him, I thought voting Pit would be more productive.

Browny

Smash Hater
*looks at MU spread* Yeah...

Well everything about this list making system is flawed and could use a makeover, but I have to tip my hat to Browny Browny from trying. It is hard to make a good list from people's biased opinion.

At least this is better than Eventhubs and /r/smashbros tier lists.
Well, suggest some changes then.

Browny

Smash Hater
I update the thread title every time, that should be enough? People should be able to at least remember if they have voted on a certain tier or not.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I update the thread title every time, that should be enough? People should be able to at least remember if they have voted on a certain tier or not.
The thing is, those of us following the thread don't get notified when you change the title. It would be much easier on those following if you commented when the next round began (and included the end date for that round, because I'm dying from anticipation).

Browny

Smash Hater
I do comment when the next round begins... I write a post saying 'Updated'.

Lets say... 2 days from now, I'll do tier 3.

Routa

Smash Lord
Well, suggest some changes then.
If you ask me votes without reasoning at all should be pretty much ignored. Also when checking people's votes I suggest to look their characters. When people vote their mains upwards... Well you can smell the bias (if it lacks reasoning or they over exaggerating their pros and ignore cons (look how Roy mains never mention Roy's horrible disadvantage state). I would also suggest to check some of their post history about thous characters. Also people should only vote characters that they have enough knowledge about them...

Tbh it is very hard to improve the voting system 'cause community voted tier lists will always be full of ****. Why? FG heros, basing opinion aroud 1 recorded set in tournament and lack of knowledge about most of the characters. This is main reason why we see people puting Roy so high compared to Marth.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
If you ask me votes without reasoning at all should be pretty much ignored. Also when checking people's votes I suggest to look their characters. When people vote their mains upwards... Well you can smell the bias (if it lacks reasoning or they over exaggerating their pros and ignore cons (look how Roy mains never mention Roy's horrible disadvantage state). I would also suggest to check some of their post history about thous characters. Also people should only vote characters that they have enough knowledge about them...

Tbh it is very hard to improve the voting system 'cause community voted tier lists will always be full of ****. Why? FG heros, basing opinion aroud 1 recorded set in tournament and lack of knowledge about most of the characters. This is main reason why we see people puting Roy so high compared to Marth.
while most of these are valid points, most of these place way too much work on the person collecting the votes. also with the main bias, the problem is, maybe theyre onto something and also, isnt the opposite true? theres a lot of ppl voting on characters which they obviously have very little knowledge about. thats the inherent problem with any form of "democratic voting", everyone has the same amount of "voting power", even if they have no clue about the topic whatsoever... weighted votes may help alleviate the problem but when u look at some of zeros or esams videos(not hating on them, their skill and knowledge of smash is leagues above mine, especially when it comes to their mains and top tiers) u ask urself, who would have these "weighted votes"? someone who thinks u shouldnt play greninja because there are better top tiers/sheik? or someone who thinks doc is as bad as zelda? and thats where the issue lies, no one(understandably, the game hasnt been out for long enough, especially when u add patches into the equation) has a good enough understanding of EVERY single character in the game to be able to make a 100% accurate tier list :/ so imo theres no realistic way to make a community votes tier list perfect.

Browny Browny what i will suggest though is to remove the possibility of characters moving more than one tier at a time because if 100 people want character x to move up 1 tier, just the fact that theres a hundred of them doesnt suddenly change their opinion into character x should move up 2 tiers(see luigi, marth, ike(i think?) and at one point sheik suddenly not being best char anymore etc) if people want a char to move up two tiers then they can do so by voting that character up again in the next voting phase. thats the only thing i think really needs to change (assuming we will have another voting round after the "first" tier list is made) just my 2 cents

edit: typo fix

Last edited:

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743

Boy am I glad you're not the one counting votes, you seem to have a bias against people who vote for a character they know about.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I agree, we should move Young Link down. He has no reliable combos or kill setups and has practically nonexistent positive matchups. Heck, he also has no moves. It's almost like he's not in the game at all.

Oh, wait..

:4rob:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4olimar::4greninja::4lucario::4lucas::4tlink::4falco::4megaman::4feroy::4link::4shulk:

:4rob: +1 Seriously underrated and underused, is at least a mid tier 3 character.
:4shulk:-1 While he can be decent if used right, I don't believe he has the frame data to keep up with the other members in tier 4 like the Pits.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Edit: Nvm, my lack of Melee knowledge is showing.

Last edited:

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
I do comment when the next round begins... I write a post saying 'Updated'.

Lets say... 2 days from now, I'll do tier 3.
Yeah, I recognized that and tried to edit my post accordingly, but my phone died.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
Look who's talking. The person who mains the equivalent of a piece of garbage.
i dont really want to get involved(or maybe i do Kappa) but serious question, what does who you main have to do with it? are u implying only sheik, zss, pika, sonic(top tiers basically) mains have a valid understanding of the game?

also zelda really isnt THAT bad... but thats a different topic entirely :)

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
i dont really want to get involved(or maybe i do Kappa) but serious question, what does who you main have to do with it? are u implying only sheik, zss, pika, sonic(top tiers basically) mains have a valid understanding of the game?

also zelda really isnt THAT bad... but thats a different topic entirely :)
I was tryin' to be sasseh... :'(

Browny

Smash Hater

Some people, me included, dont have the time or care enough to write explanations why and honestly it doesnt matter. When you limit the amount of characters anyone can vote for, it forces them to choose wisely and also makes them votes on the ones they are most sure about being in the wrong place.

If people were voting on literally the entire cast they are far more likely to move characters without any reason.

As for people voting for their mains, as others have said, in fact it is the people who use the characters who have a better understanding of them.

Think about it, should I ask sheik mains who have never even played as Bowser Jr, how viable Bowser Jr truly is or should I ask people that actually use him in tournament and have experienced all sorts of matchups as him?

For the record, I think Roy is better than Marth, and Lucina is better than Marth. Saying that people dont know what they are talking about by suggesting Roy is better than Marth, suggests that you know for a fact he isnt. But is there proof? No one really knows for sure since they are both so underplayed. The only tournament videos I ever see with marth have him getting bopped, and his mains all dropping him for other characters.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
4: :4olimar:(:4pit: :4darkpit:) :4rob: :4lucario::4tlink::4lucas::4megaman: :4falco: :4greninja: :4feroy::4shulk::4link:

-1 :4link:

This is perhaps the most stable tier so far, so theres no one really who I consider that should go up. But i do think either shulk or link should go down.

DMWN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
poe376
:4lucas:(:4pit::4darkpit:):4rob::4lucario::4tlink::4greninja::4falco::4shulk::4link::4olimar::4megaman::4feroy:

+:4lucas:Pink Fresh and others have been showing what this character is capable of--he's definitely about as, if not more, viable as post-patch Luigi.
-:4feroy: I love the kid, but his aerials lack sufficient power unless at close range, making his spacing game pretty lackluster.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Some people, me included, dont have the time or care enough to write explanations why and honestly it doesnt matter. When you limit the amount of characters anyone can vote for, it forces them to choose wisely and also makes them votes on the ones they are most sure about being in the wrong place.

If people were voting on literally the entire cast they are far more likely to move characters without any reason.

As for people voting for their mains, as others have said, in fact it is the people who use the characters who have a better understanding of them.

Think about it, should I ask sheik mains who have never even played as Bowser Jr, how viable Bowser Jr truly is or should I ask people that actually use him in tournament and have experienced all sorts of matchups as him?

For the record, I think Roy is better than Marth, and Lucina is better than Marth. Saying that people dont know what they are talking about by suggesting Roy is better than Marth, suggests that you know for a fact he isnt. But is there proof? No one really knows for sure since they are both so underplayed. The only tournament videos I ever see with marth have him getting bopped, and his mains all dropping him for other characters.
It's funny how I started this whole thing. Anyway, I see what you're saying. Maybe we just need to give this list more leeway since it's a very good one for community voted.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

the only videos I see of lucina are... oh wait there are none

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Not 100% positive if I voted already (I might've) but just in case
+1 :4luigi:
+1 (:4pit: :4darkpit:)
-1 :4fox:
:4pacman:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Not 100% positive if I voted already (I might've) but just in case
+1 :4luigi:
+1 (:4pit: :4darkpit:)
-1 :4fox:
:4pacman:
Pls people. Read the OP. The dang title of the thread itself tells you that we aren't voting like that anymore

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Pls people. Read the OP. The dang title of the thread itself tells you that we aren't voting like that anymore
I did read the OP tho
I guess I just formatted/did it wrong
Sorry, mates :4pacman:

Last edited:
Top Bottom