• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
How was the MU between Doc and Luigi, then?

I have 2 friends who are (or were) Luigi mains. One of them struggles hard and switched to Doc (funny enough) while keeping Luigi for fun, while the other kind of cried that Luigi has been ruined, voted on the Smash Ballot for "pre-patch Luigi" and switched to Lucario. Point here is that Luigi struggles hard at the moment to combo, but that must be because people haven't tried patched Luigi enough. Like it happened with Diddy, most people will drop Luigi because he's no longer the most brain-dead character to play (that kinda goes to :4kirby: )

What would you rank Luigi now? I rank him as high tier, while I rank Doc as mid, perhaps even mid-high tier.
Wait, they voted for pre-patch Luigi? That is hilarious. People have definitely gotten creative with new Luigi, I won't lie, but there's still a big gaping hole where Luigi's combos used to be, and a bigger one where his KO power is. Honestly, it seems that people who can't KO are destined for failure in this game.

Doc/Luigi was probably with 45:55 or 50:50, but it was most definitely not 40:60. Right now it's either 50:50 or 55:45. I would rank Luigi as somewhere low high tier or high mid tier, and the Good Doctor as high mid.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Wait, they voted for pre-patch Luigi? That is hilarious. People have definitely gotten creative with new Luigi, I won't lie, but there's still a big gaping hole where Luigi's combos used to be, and a bigger one where his KO power is. Honestly, it seems that people who can't KO are destined for failure in this game.

Doc/Luigi was probably with 45:55 or 50:50, but it was most definitely not 40:60. Right now it's either 50:50 or 55:45. I would rank Luigi as somewhere low high tier or high mid tier, and the Good Doctor as high mid.
But why would he be high-mid? Tier lists have a lot to do with match-ups. Who does he beat? I can undoubtedly say he doesn't beat any top tiers, and probably not any high tiers. His bad neutral weakens him against the characters good neutral, his speed makes him weak against characters who can run and jump circles around him, and his offstage game makes him weak to anyone good at edge-guarding. He might have some good MUs, but I SINCERELY doubt he has enough high-tier MUs to make him almost high tier himself.

Also, people told me i was over-exaggerating when I said kirby is definitely low-mid, but not when Dr. Mario went from like low-mid to high-mid. Jeez.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
It's not unfair at all. Miis and Palutena were clearly treated differently from the outset and customs were heavily pushed in their reveal trailers. They're the only characters in the game that have completely different moves for their customs instead of altered regular specials. The difference is obvious.
Megaman also has completely different moves for some of his customs.

The problem with allowing Palutena customs is that you allow her to counterpick Reflect against projectile characters while using Super Speed against everyone else. That gives her an unfair advantage: she can always ensure her moveset is ideal for the opposition, while no one else gets this benefit. Isn't that clearly not okay?

Plus, more and more characters are coming in without customs at all. They can't counterpick matchups at all. How is that fair for them?

Finally, even though this patch changed customs a bit, they're still horribly imbalanced. There are plenty of customs that turn 50/50 matchups to 30/70 affairs. Why should we encourage that?

monzer

Smash Journeyman

The problem with allowing Palutena customs is that you allow her to counterpick Reflect against projectile characters while using Super Speed against everyone else. That gives her an unfair advantage: she can always ensure her moveset is ideal for the opposition, while no one else gets this benefit. Isn't that clearly not okay?

Plus, more and more characters are coming in without customs at all. They can't counterpick matchups at all. How is that fair for them?

Finally, even though this patch changed customs a bit, they're still horribly imbalanced. There are plenty of customs that turn 50/50 matchups to 30/70 affairs. Why should we encourage that?
Exactly, either have customs for all characters, or habe customs for none.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And you people wonder why we play Ganondorf...
I actually don't think Ganondorf is as bad as people make him out to be. He's still low tier, but I hear people say he's bottom 5 and then I flashback to the numerous times he's killed me at obscene circumstances.

HerpFish

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerpFish
3DS FC
1220-9235-4974
8 tiers. With this large of a roster and the addition of more characters, having less than 7 would make it seem tight in my opinion. I like my tiers to be smaller groups of characters with similar matchup spreads. Just split 5 and move characters into the new tiers 4, 5, and 6 and I will be happy.

+:4marth:The debate of Marth vs Lucina has already been said, so I believe that Marth should move up a tier to tier 4, tier 5 should be split, and Lucina should remain in tier 5. Marth would preferably be near the bottom of 4 and Lucina near the top of 5 to make their differences noticeable but not worth an entire tier.

Routa

Smash Lord
I was writing a long reasoning why it is harder to main 1 main with 2 or more custom sets than main 2 characters, but it was too long so I threw it out of the window :S

Shortly said: the way you play your character changes drastically when you change even 1 move on Palutena (changing from Super Speed to Reflector for example) or with Miis (CS to Granade on Gunner) so it is a lot easier to main 2 characters.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
I was writing a long reasoning why it is harder to main 1 main with 2 or more custom sets than main 2 characters, but it was too long so I threw it out of the window :S

Shortly said: the way you play your character changes drastically when you change even 1 move on Palutena (changing from Super Speed to Reflector for example) or with Miis (CS to Granade on Gunner) so it is a lot easier to main 2 characters.
I'm assuming this only applies to Palutina and the Miis. Would custom Kirby or Donkey King really be that hard to pick up as well.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'd say the difference between Megaman and Palutena/Mii Fighters is that while obviously more effort was put into MM's customs, they're still, for all intents and purposes, modified versions of his default specials. Look closely, and you'll see that the attack animations for say, Ice Slasher and Danger Warp, are the same as Crash Bomber. Palutena and the Mii Fighters on the other hand all have different moves with completely different animations. Not one of them are alike in anyway, while you can tell with Megaman all his customs are still based on his regular moveset, like the rest of the cast. It's just that they're all more elaborate than the typical custom special.

Last edited:

Routa

Smash Lord
I'm assuming this only applies to Palutina and the Miis. Would custom Kirby or Donkey King really be that hard to pick up as well.
Yeah changing from DK to Wind Dong isn't that hard compared to Miis or Palutina. So yeah it mainly applies to Palutina and the Miis, but there are some other characters that this applies to for example Wario (Speedy Bike and Quick Waft), Mega Man (his N specials and forward specials mainly) and some others. Ofc this does not have a such a major impact on most characters, but we were mainly talking about Palutina and the Miis so I thought I would bring this up.

Routa

Smash Lord
What is up with people puting WFT so high? I am aware of her/his great edgeguarding game and nice strings, but as far as I know she/he does not have that many good MUs compared to other characters that are put into same tier (for example Lucario and Pit(s). Am I missing something or is it just main bias all over the place again? *looks at Roy*

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What is up with people puting WFT so high? I am aware of her/his great edgeguarding game and nice strings, but as far as I know she/he does not have that many good MUs compared to other characters that are put into same tier (for example Lucario and Pit(s). Am I missing something or is it just main bias all over the place again? *looks at Roy*
Can't say about Lucario, Pit is obvious, and Roy's...Roy, but Acestarthe3rd has alot of videos explaining why...and I do mean alot(including Twitch streams).

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Can't say about Lucario, Pit is obvious, and Roy's...Roy, but Acestarthe3rd has alot of videos explaining why...and I do mean alot(including Twitch streams).
but i mean, since when has Acestarthe3rd been a reliable source for practically anything lmao

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
So uh 7 tiers:
Top Tier
High Tier
High Mid
Mid
Low Mid
Low
Bottom

+1 Roy: Iwill be fine if he is tier 4, thats good enough for me.

Cyclone_

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLAMECMCT
8 tiers. With this large of a roster and the addition of more characters, having less than 7 would make it seem tight in my opinion. I like my tiers to be smaller groups of characters with similar matchup spreads. Just split 5 and move characters into the new tiers 4, 5, and 6 and I will be happy.

+:4marth:The debate of Marth vs Lucina has already been said, so I believe that Marth should move up a tier to tier 4, tier 5 should be split, and Lucina should remain in tier 5. Marth would preferably be near the bottom of 4 and Lucina near the top of 5 to make their differences noticeable but not worth an entire tier.
Marth is not that good. He should stay where he is in low tier 5. no where near tier 4 that is too high for someone with bad match ups against half the damn roster.

Browny

Smash Hater
Three days later... :p
I'm gonna update it tonight, i thought about doing it earlier but theres honestly a lot more diversity in the 1 character votes than i expected. I was ready for mass ike downvotes and little else, but theres a lot of movement to add up.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
+1 :4samus: - Has anyone seen what Depth is doing with this character? He's placing well. Samus is not good, but I think she deserves to be about 5-10 more spots up on the tier list. I think the character has more going for her than most give credit.

-1 :4pikachu: - Minus ESAM, almost no results at all in national tournaments. And he hasn't even been doing that well lately. I don't see how you can put Pika at #3 when other characters in the top 10 are getting way more results.

-1 :4zss:- Same reason as Pika. Minus Nairo, almost no results at national tourneys. I credit Nario's success to Nario having ridiculous talent, not to the character.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
+1 :4samus: - Has anyone seen what Depth is doing with this character? He's placing well. Samus is not good, but I think she deserves to be about 5-10 more spots up on the tier list. The character has more going for her than most give credit.

-1 :4pikachu: - Minus ESAM, almost no results at all in national tournaments. And he hasn't even been doing that well lately. I don't see how you can put Pika at #3 when other characters in the top 10 are getting way more results.
-1 :4zss:- Same reason as Pika. Minus Nairo, almost no results at national tourneys. I credit Nario's success to Nario having ridiculous talent, not to the character.
Pssst, look at the title.

Honestly, even though Ike is too high it doesn't change the fact that he's a pretty good character, knocking on the door of high tier. Plus with only one vote I think people are using it for characters they care more about.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Has anyone noticed how Pit/Dark Pit, Ike, and Meta Knight are all high tier at best, yet Palutena, Kirby, Dedede, and the rest of the FE cast aren't?

:4pit::4darkpit::4metaknight:=Sakurai Babies, and are in the top 16 best characters pretty much
:4myfriends:=Underdog
:4palutena:=Waifu who's only mid tier with customs
:4kirby::4dedede:= Original Sakurai Babies(yet never the best characters)
:4feroy::4marth:=Undecided
:4robinf:= Mid Tier?
:4lucina:=Noone is really caring for her...like at all.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Pssst, look at the title.

Honestly, even though Ike is too high it doesn't change the fact that he's a pretty good character, knocking on the door of high tier. Plus with only one vote I think people are using it for characters they care more about.
Oh, I just assumed the thread was functioning as it always has. My bad.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Glad to see another with virtually the same opinion on Marth and Lucina as me!

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
seven tiers is reasonable, they're just cluttered because voted tier lists are voted tier lists.

-1 :4myfriends:, he's obviously really good but how the **** is he up there?

Top Bottom