• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
+1 :4charizard: The new shieldstun mechanics were really kind to Charizard within the new update, and for one he may actually have a move which could actually be very safe of shield. Charizard is still with his hurtbox flaws due to being a heavyweight character, but he's definitely more viable than previously considered in the game.
+1 :4metaknight: Meta Knight has really gone a long way since nearly a year ago when he was nerfed. One of the most unpredictable recoveries in the game, good frame data, and an legendary advantage state that could potentially rival that of Zero Suit Samus herself.
+1 :4feroy: Honestly, I do not see Marth being above Roy in the tier list. Both have good mobility, frame data, and amazing hitboxes, but Roy simply just edges past Marth due to having more reward from throws, having easier combos, a generally more versatile recovery, better approach options and a less intense requirement for presicion due to having the reverse tipper mechanic.

Other Noteworthy Characters -
:4pacman: Another character that recieved a great turn for the better just because of the new shieldstun mechanics - and in Pac-Man's case, battling against shields was one of his biggest weaknesses, lacking any reliable move to beat shields out aside from Trampoline (although he did have safe shield pokes, like his amazingly fast Forward Air), thanks to ambyssal grab and the lack of reward it offers. I would have raised him up, but I personally think that he fits well in his current position in the tier list.
:4luigi:As much as I hate Green Mario in general due to his overall playstyle being 'braindead' and overrated, and whilst his nerfs took off his kill-setups from grabs, I have to say I'm not downvoting him, just because I know everyone else is going to do it anyway.
:4peach: Pressuring opponents shields was one of Peach's biggest strengths in Smash 4. Now she can do it better than ever.
Also, it'd be cute the day everyone quakes in fear upon the sight of the Mushroom Kingdom's Princess of Hearts.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
A lot of people asked for Diddy to get nerfed, because he was kinda sorta the best character in the game by far. I do agree that the utter *********** of Luigi's nerf is unrivaled, though. Even more so when Sheik and Samus remained untouched. If we're lucky though, they'll be another patch along with the Smash Ballot characters that refixes Luigi.
I meant that they OVER-nerfed Diddy. All we asked for was a little U-air nerf. Anyway, I do hope they fix ol' Weegee...

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I meant that they OVER-nerfed Diddy. All we asked for was a little U-air nerf. Anyway, I do hope they fix ol' Weegee...
I don't think so. Even without the Hoo-Ha, he'd still probably be the best character in the game. His forward air was ridiculous, Monkey Flip was ridiculous, everything they nerfed was warranted in some way. He's still a thousand times better than what Luigi is now.

Browny

Smash Hater
Sorry for the delay in updating, its actually really late now I will do it tomorrow when I wake up (its 3am here). This post will serve as a reminder, since someone will probably like/quote it...

Routa

Smash Lord
+1 :4feroy: Honestly, I do not see Marth being above Roy in the tier list. Both have good mobility, frame data, and amazing hitboxes, but Roy simply just edges past Marth due to having more reward from throws, having easier combos, a generally more versatile recovery, better approach options and a less intense requirement for presicion due to having the reverse tipper mechanic.
Why do people keep saying thous? Even Ike has more versatile recovery. Why? He can recover high, low and straight to the ledge safely compared to Roy. Roy has below average recovery. His Up-b has poor range and when you add his fast fall speed...

Roy's best approach option is his Nair. It got a bit (just a tad bit) safer thanks to shield stun mechanic, but having 1 good approach tool doesn't make him better. Marth's approach options got buffed a lot due to new shield stun mechanism which makes his tippered and sour spotted Fair and Nair a lot safer. Overall Marth has more safe approach tools than Roy.

Roy has amazing advantage state indeed, but... His disadvantage state is horrible. Marth in the other hand might not have great advantage state, but his advantage state isn't bad at all. Also Marth has far superior neutral game compared Roy.

Both Roy and Marth are good, but overall Marth has more things going for him.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Why do people keep saying thous? Even Ike has more versatile recovery. Why? He can recover high, low and straight to the ledge safely compared to Roy. Roy has below average recovery. His Up-b has poor range and when you add his fast fall speed...

Roy's best approach option is his Nair. It got a bit (just a tad bit) safer thanks to shield stun mechanic, but having 1 good approach tool doesn't make him better. Marth's approach options got buffed a lot due to new shield stun mechanism which makes his tippered and sour spotted Fair and Nair a lot safer. Overall Marth has more safe approach tools than Roy.

Roy has amazing advantage state indeed, but... His disadvantage state is horrible. Marth in the other hand might not have great advantage state, but his advantage state isn't bad at all. Also Marth has far superior neutral game compared Roy.

Both Roy and Marth are good, but overall Marth has more things going for him.
Roy can mixup Blazer recovery as well by recovering high or low combined with Roy's air speed he can recovery horizontally pretty much most of the time, his recovery only has bad range if you need vertical distance.

The newest patch made actually Roy's tipper nair slightly less safe (2 frames) but it made his sweetsppot attacks much safer, Nair wasn't his only viable approach he could empty jump > grab, pressure with Dtilt (Dtilt became really good this patch) and Fair if you baited a jump from your opponent (Fair is also really good on shield now) overall Marth and Roy both have safe approaches but Roy can use mixups like empty jump > grab.

Personally I don't get this whole Marth vs Roy debate because at best they will proabably be 2-3 spots apart on a tier list...

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I don't think so. Even without the Hoo-Ha, he'd still probably be the best character in the game. His forward air was ridiculous, Monkey Flip was ridiculous, everything they nerfed was warranted in some way. He's still a thousand times better than what Luigi is now.
I guess. But I still think they should only have done the first one.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I guess. But I still think they should only have done the first one.
Put it this way, had he not gotten hit with the nerf hammer, there'd be three braindead, Sheik-tier characters with Hoo-Has, and nobody would like that. Granted, maybe it could've taken the attention off of Luigi, but still. Sooner or later, he would've gotten complained about enough to get hit again.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sorry for the delay in updating, its actually really late now I will do it tomorrow when I wake up (its 3am here). This post will serve as a reminder, since someone will probably like/quote it...
quoted...Inb4 Smash Ballot changes everything

But seriously though, keep up with this stuff you got going on

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
UPDATED :)

This is the final round of voting before we work on one tier at a time.

I have decided not to extend this period after the patch, since the character changes were mostly insignificant except for a few, but this will be dealt with in the next phase.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
+1:4pit::4darkpit:
+1:rosalina:
+1:4duckhunt:

Thought
:4bowser::4littlemac:: Both need to be higher, mid tiers at best
:4lucina:: Should be near Marth
:4lucas:: Perfect
:4palutena:: Tad bit higher
:4wiifit::Ok

Last edited:

Paxadin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paxadin
3DS FC
2767-1146-9743
UPDATED :)

This is the final round of voting before we work on one tier at a time.

I have decided not to extend this period after the patch, since the character changes were mostly insignificant except for a few, but this will be dealt with in the next phase.
The Shield change was pretty major, but I guess it's fine for now, if later on we notice big changes we can just revert back to tier votes anyway.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
+1:4marth:If Roy's tier 3, Marth at least deserves tier 4.
+1:4drmario:I have a very hard time believing that a character with Mario's frame data can be this bad...
-1:4olimar:I just don't think he's as good as the others in tier 4.

Last edited:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
+1 :4robinm:-Believe it or not, Robin is doing work in my area, and the general opinion of the character is beginning to shift in his/her favor.
+1 :4lucina:-Seriously, she ought to be at least in the same tier as marth.
-1 :4falcon:-The captain is quite good, I concede, but after facing some of the top players in my area (who are falcons) Falcon should drop at least a little bit.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Everyone's hating on Kirby all of a sudden
That's because the patch made Kirby's weaknesses worse. He can't approach at all courtesy of his bad mobility and poor options, he can't do anything to shields besides a slow totally predictable and punishable attack, his range sucks, he is very light an gets killed by anything decent, and he still has really crappy matchups. Who cares Luigi got nerfed if DK, Ike, Marth, Shiek, Rosalina and friggin low tiers like Ganondorf and Bowser beat Kirby?

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
-1 :4kirby:: I thought he wasn't good before but nobody believed me. Now if people still think he's good I might lose faith in the smash community. Shieldstun made approaching and punishing even harder for Kirby, two places where he already struggles a lot.

Only vote for now.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That's because the patch made Kirby's weaknesses worse. He can't approach at all courtesy of his bad mobility and poor options, he can't do anything to shields besides a slow totally predictable and punishable attack, his range sucks, he is very light an gets killed by anything decent, and he still has really crappy matchups. Who cares Luigi got nerfed if DK, Ike, Marth, Shiek, Rosalina and friggin low tiers like Ganondorf and Bowser beat Kirby?
Even before the patch, people besides Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti have been saying he's low tier trash and stuff like that.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Even before the patch, people besides Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti have been saying he's low tier trash and stuff like that.
Its just a matter of opinion. Top players say he is "kinda viable" (mikekirby and esam both said it for example, while vinnie thinks he is 35-42 range), but others think he is trash or high tier. I think hes 35-42 (like vinnie) but hes def not top 30 after shield patch.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Its just a matter of opinion. Top players say he is "kinda viable" (mikekirby and esam both said it for example, while vinnie thinks he is 35-42 range), but others think he is trash or high tier. I think hes 35-42 (like vinnie) but hes def not top 30 after shield patch.
Kirby can't get much love either way.

Routa

Smash Lord
Roy above Marth and Ike again? *sigh* It is Luigi all over again... I just love spending votes to these character even tho there are some characters that need thous votes more.

- Roy
+ Marth
+ Ike

*sigh*

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
1: :4sheik: :4zss: :4pikachu:

2::rosalina: :4fox: :4mario: :4sonic: :4ness: :4ryu: :4diddy:

3::4luigi: :4falcon: :4yoshi: :4metaknight: :4villager: :4wario: :4pacman: :4peach: :4feroy:

4: :4dk: (:4pit: :4darkpit:) :4olimar: :4rob: :4lucas: :4myfriends: :4lucario: :4greninja: :4wiifit:

5: :4marth: :4kirby: :4robinf: :4megaman: :4miibrawl: :4tlink: :4falco: :4duckhunt: :4bowserjr: :4shulk: :4charizard:

6: :4drmario: :4link: :4jigglypuff: :4lucina: :4bowser: :4littlemac: :4gaw: :4dedede: :4palutena:

7: :4miisword: :4ganondorf: :4mewtwo: :4zelda: :4miigun: :4samus:
+ 1 :4jigglypuff: While it's far too early for us to say we fully know the consequences of the patch's shield stun changes, I think it's fairly safe to wager :4jigglypuff: benefited a lot from it certainly more than most others, and because of that I don't think she belongs down in tier 6 anymore. (You have no idea how happy I am that shield stun got buffed)
+ 1 :4miigun:
+ 1 :rosalina:

Last edited:

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
:4peach: -1
:4myfriends:+1
:4lucas:-1

So if i understood this correctly this works for placing character tiers, after this one we will work on placement within tiers (?)

In which case im pretty happy with tier placement, only complaint is that ike deserves roy spot, roy, lucas and peach should be tier 4.

All the others changes are only within their tiers meaning this list is getting near " my ideal " tier list.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
1: :4sheik: :4zss: :4pikachu:

2::rosalina: :4fox: :4mario: :4sonic: :4ness: :4ryu: :4diddy:

3::4luigi: :4falcon: :4yoshi: :4metaknight: :4villager: :4wario: :4pacman: :4peach: :4feroy:

4: :4dk: (:4pit: :4darkpit:) :4olimar: :4rob: :4lucas: :4myfriends: :4lucario: :4greninja: :4wiifit:

5: :4marth: :4kirby: :4robinf: :4megaman: :4miibrawl: :4tlink: :4falco: :4duckhunt: :4bowserjr: :4shulk: :4charizard:

6: :4drmario: :4link: :4jigglypuff: :4lucina: :4bowser: :4littlemac: :4gaw: :4dedede: :4palutena:

7: :4miisword: :4ganondorf: :4mewtwo: :4zelda: :4miigun: :4samus:

+1:4kirby: After the shieldstun change, people are hating on him too much. 29-31 is good

+1:4jigglypuff: She is defitenly WAY better

+1:4megaman: Why the heck is he still down there? Another good question, HOW did he get down there? he has a great up tilt and down tilt, great smashes, great projectiles, and thus range, lemons are good, great aierals, and great KO power. He DOES NOT deserve this spot.[/Spoiler]

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Ganondorf and Bowser beat Kirby?

Please don't post on here saying Kirby is crap if you donn't even know what you're talking about

DarkK

Smash Apprentice
+ :4drmario: way underrated
- :4kirby: Kirby be crap, bruh (huehue).
+ :4lucina: Needs to be with Marth.

Last edited:

Robertos0511

Smash Rookie
+1:4shulk: Underrated IMO, deserves to be a tier 4. I know this looks like I'm shamelessly voting for my main but I do believe that he is tier 4 material. I think it's quite easy for people who aren't very familiar with Shulk to downvote him because they've played him without taking the time to properly understand him. Just my two cents anyway.

+1:4miisword: Not as bad as the other tier 7's and there's no way we're going to be able to move them all down to tier 8 in a single week. Plus, he comes out on top of a few tier 6's as well (:4gaw:,:4dedede:, possibly :4jigglypuff:and :4palutena: IMO. (Not enough to justify them being in a lower tier, though)) while the other tier 7's don't.

I kinda want to downvote :4feroy: because I feel he's tier 4 material but he's already got 2 downvotes and I'm scared he'll just go down to tier 5 which would be worse than his current placement, especially because we go into voting within tiers next week.

I'll have to do some research into the :4lucina:/:4marth: debate because I'm personally not to sure whether Lucina is a whole tier worse than Marth: She's definitely worse but I'm not sure how much by.

I'm going to do some research over the week and see how things transpire, however, right now I'm feeling my third vote will be going to either Dr Mario or Link if it doesn't go to Roy or Lucina.

:4drmario: because I don't think it's possible for him to be a whole 4 tiers worse than his clone. (Like seriously, that's like saying the difference between Dr Mario and Mario is as bad as the difference between Captain Falcon and Ganondorf.)

:4link:
because my instincts tell me that he isn't tier 6 bad but I'll need to do research into this one.

If anyone wants to try and sway my third vote either way feel free, or if you want you can point out anything I haven't considered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom