• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:4jigglypuff: +1
:4drmario: +1
:4mario:+1
:4lucario:+1
:4megaman:+1
Good to see Ike placed with competence. This list is actually kinda good.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
no, they aren't organized by alphabetical order. This was never mentioned by browny, and just by looking at the list it is obviously untrue.
Well, I mean it in groups. If a character is downvoted from the anove tier, they go above everyone else, and higher pointsput characters above others that had the same tier up/down voteing. And so on.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Well, I mean it in groups. If a character is downvoted from the anove tier, they go above everyone else, and higher pointsput characters above others that had the same tier up/down voteing. And so on.
I dunno. It says right in the OP that characters are not ranked within tiers and until Browny says otherwise I'm just gonna assume this to be the case.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Welll not in tiers
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. What I'm trying to say is that, at least if the OP is to be believed, the ranking within tiers doesn't matter. With this in mind, the fact that dark pit is before pit doesn't mean that dark pit is ranked higher than pit, because they're both in the same tier and ordering within tiers means nothing at the moment.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. What I'm trying to say is that, at least if the OP is to be believed, the ranking within tiers doesn't matter. With this in mind, the fact that dark pit is before pit doesn't mean that dark pit is ranked higher than pit, because they're both in the same tier and ordering within tiers means nothing at the moment.
I think he said to me that what I said was how it works but IDK so whatever

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
This is crazy how the list is turning out. . . and by crazy I mean good! I agree with a good amount of it honestly, but I'll give some votes to these guys:
:4sonic: +1 - Sonic to me has such a great combo set up in his movesets and always gives me the toughest battles. He is one of the characters that when I see one in a for glory match I can expect a loss. His speed really helps him out, due to many characters having trouble with mobility. He also has a surprisingly good forward smash if landed correctly and his up smash isn't too shabby either. Sonic is one tough opponent and one that can give a good match to any character he is up against. As far as I know, he doesn't have a terrible matchup in his favor to lose. Sonic is a great character, and although I can't play him for the life of me. . . those who can definitely prove how great they are! Although he is already placed rather high I would never disagree to him being a top 5 character (imo)
:4peach: +1 - Even though I main Peach I do believe she is at least in the top 20 characters in the game! Her air play is phenomenal and, although she is pretty technical and requires some skill to use, she has some really useful set up and combos into attacks. She may be light, but packs a punch with certain attacks. Her biggest problem has to be her vertical recovery, but it does come in handy in killing opponents with the last strike having a higher Knockback than one would think! The power of the turnips should not be underestimated either as they can cause some trouble for your opponent when they try to recover. Wish she was used more in tournament play because she seems to be a very underrated character atm . . . possibly due to her different functionality and feeling from melee Peach. I love her playstyle though ^.^
:4charizard: -1 - I love Pokemon and Charizard is staple to the community, but for some reason I just feel Charizard doesn't bring the epicness that he could. Why I give him a point down is only because I never have difficulty defeating on in battle. His smash attacks are awesome and his super armor comes in handy, but his slow movement and not so great aerial game (imo) hinders his overall performance. Not on the bottom, but I wouldn't mind saying the bottom 10 :/
:4pacman: -1 - I LOVE PACMAN! He is such a fun character to play and requires technique and fun strategy against opponents as well. I love to see how his potential is being recognized, but overall. . . I don't feel Pacman should be quite as high as the others in the row he is listed. . . I feel if he was placed in Row three is would be more suiting to him! Great Character, but I feel he isn't quite on the same caliber as Ness, Zero Suit, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon to name a few.
:4lucario: +1 - This last vote was a tough one between giving it to R.O.B. or Lucario, but the latter I felt was a lil more deserving. Lucario is such a powerful opponent, especially when his aura is in full force. Sure he may be easy to attack when he is in the lower percents, but personally I feel that when he is above 60% I have the hardest time dealing with his attacks. He can rack up damage quickly. Although he has some serious lag with some smash attacks and landing lag after recovery, I feel he should either be in the top 3 of row 3 or even on the outside of row 2 (used for reference)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are others that I would love to vote up (such as Wario, Pit, Meta Knight, Samus, Jiggly, Dedede, Mega-Man) and vote down (I won't mention those haha) but for the most part the list is looking pretty good

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Tiers are ranked in 3 different ways

At the top of a tier are the characters who were sent down to that tier, the bottom of the tier are characters who were voted up into that tier and everyone in between stayed there. I do factor in how much a character got votes when doing this.

Say for example we look at top tier

1: :4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu:

2: :4luigi:

3: :4ness::4zss::4sonic::4yoshi::4fox::4falcon::4mario::4pacman::4ryu::4diddy::4villager:

If pikachu got -3 and rosalina got -9 to go down a tier, while diddy got +9 and ness got +8 to got up, it would look like this

1: :4sheik:

2: :4pikachu::rosalina::4luigi::4diddy::4ness:

3::4zss::4sonic::4yoshi::4fox::4falcon::4mario::4pacman::4ryu::4diddy::4villager:

I dont care if luigi got +2 or -2, he will never move around characters who jumped a tier.

Therefore, characters that move tiers are actually ranked within tiers, but characters that dont move, arent. The net result is that overall the characters are NOT ranked within tiers, since usually half of them arent.

Last edited:

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
So theoretically, a character near the "bottom, aka right side" of a particular tier could actually of been much more favorable during the most recent voting session than one in the middle of that tier. In your above example, lets say Luigi got +1 where Ness got +8. Ness, after moving up, would be on the lower end of that given tier even though many people in the last voting session thought he deserved to move up compared to the relatively few people who thought luigi needed to move.

I suppose this works well in order to stop a character from moving around significantly once the community seems to feel that they found a good spot. In the above example, Luigi receiving only a handful of votes could imply people feel good about his placement, while ness receiving a large amount of votes would still be able to move but wouldn't significantly disrupt the tier he moved into.

kylexv

Smash Master
The tier now literally makes me sad because is voted by Smash community and shows most people in Smash community believes :4myfriends:is top20 and :4bowser: is bottom.
You know the tier list will look a lot better when this finishes, right? It was the same case for the other tier list a few months back.

Chon7272

Smash Rookie
+:4sheik: I recently started using her in curiosity of finding out why was she considered overpowered, i see why now. Man, her Ftilt and Dtilt are awesome, the Usmash sweetspot is really satisfying, and his aerial game is extraordinary totally deserves her place.

+:4falcon: The reason i started using him was because i thought he had no downsides, i was a bit wrong, he can be stopped pretty easy with projectiles, but once you know how to get past them, the opponent is pretty damn ****ed. pretty good character and an amazing Jab

+ :4lucas:The night Lucas was announced i got hyped as ***** and never hesitated in maining him, at first was tough since i sucked at aiming with PK thunder, though it took me 2 days to master it. I loved his Nair, Uair and Fair, his Fsmash is not that good, but his Usmash is a 50% kill -+ and his Dsmash is a REALLY good edgegaurding move, totally needs to go higher.

+:4luigi:An amazing Dthrow, lots of combos can go from there, his d-tilt (if used right) can be used to **** around with people trying to grab the ledge, his Usmash might not be as good as Mario's (because of the angle fml) but it can do the job. the only downside is he has poor movement in the ground, other than that an amazing character.

+:4drmario: for me he has the most hidden potential in all the game, unlike mario, he is slower and doesnt jump as high, but an addictive Fsmash and a Dthrow similar to Luigi's but doesnt have that much of options. can combo out of his Dtilt and Utilt, not to mention, Utilt is a Kill move. Bair is an amazing juggler at low percents same with Uair, and his Fair/upB are amazing finishers, along with punishable pills, totally underrated, he must go up.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
+:4luigi:An amazing Dthrow, lots of combos can go from there, his d-tilt (if used right) can be used to **** around with people trying to grab the ledge, his Usmash might not be as good as Mario's (because of the angle fml) but it can do the job. the only downside is he has poor movement in the ground, other than that an amazing character.
.....just the ground?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
+:4pacman: "No results" Kills me how people can't see deep potential. When Abadango kicks ass at EVO, then the doubters will see
+:4megaman: why is he this low?
-:4luigi: Gets camped hard
+:4marth: The patch really helped
+:4pit:

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
+:rosalina: Does this need explaining lmao
+:4ness: Ness is an all around amazing character with lots of options, man.
-:4luigi:Luigi is a great character, but I feel like his spot should be given to other characters.
+:4rob: GYROMITES
+:4jigglypuff: Wall of Pain and Rest ops, should be higher

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
+:4pacman: "No results" Kills me how people can't see deep potential. When Abadango kicks *** at EVO, then the doubters will see
-:4kirby: lol no. Some of the worst specials in the game with a terrible approach and **** mobility? Get back in mid tier.
+:4megaman: why is he this low?
-:4luigi: Gets camped hard
+:4marth: The patch really helped
0_o Kirby is already lower than mid tier lol

Browny

Smash Hater
So theoretically, a character near the "bottom, aka right side" of a particular tier could actually of been much more favorable during the most recent voting session than one in the middle of that tier. In your above example, lets say Luigi got +1 where Ness got +8. Ness, after moving up, would be on the lower end of that given tier even though many people in the last voting session thought he deserved to move up compared to the relatively few people who thought luigi needed to move.

I suppose this works well in order to stop a character from moving around significantly once the community seems to feel that they found a good spot. In the above example, Luigi receiving only a handful of votes could imply people feel good about his placement, while ness receiving a large amount of votes would still be able to move but wouldn't significantly disrupt the tier he moved into.
Yeah, its complex and there's so many different ways it could be done, but I went with this.

Sometimes a character, in my example, such as diddy will get a huge amount of votes not necessarily because people want him in the tier above, but because they want him simply ahead of people sharing his current tier. A character near the top of a tier is much less likely to get a lot of votes than a character at the bottom, despite the fact they are both technically in the same tier.

As a result, it would be unfair if I put luigi below diddy even though diddy got a lot of upvotes, since if diddy was voted on by people who understood he was equal rank in his tier, he wouldnt get such a big jump.

This is all hypothetical situations and I get that might no be clear, but I do have reasons for how I organise all of this. A lot of it is to compensate for the fact that there is no way I can put characters in a tier without people naturally assuming they are listed in order of the tier.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
+1 Zero Suit Samus -:4zss:-
+1 Marth -:4marth:-
+1 Link -:4link:-
-1 Luigi -:4luigi:-
-1 Ness -:4ness:-

Greek Greninja

Smash Cadet
-1 :4falco:. He's not bottom tier... but not mid-tier either. I think one rank down should be fine.
+1 :4peach:. Definitely top 15-20 character.
+1 :4ganondorf:. Not bottom tier. At least low mid-tier.
+1 :4link:. I thought he got buffed this patch? He should be higher.
-1 :4gaw:. Not that high yet... Should be near bottom tier. Not the worst though.

PsiPax

Smash Rookie
+1:4shulk:Not really feeling Shulks position... Monado Arts, insane counter (nerf although I love) Monado Canceling takes care of lag, and can be used really well.
-1:4luigi:Please don't give me hate but I honestly just don't think he is as good as people think.

Top Bottom